Major Mass™ Lean Protein Gainer Reviews

By: VMI Sports

(Better than 100% in Weight Gainers)

Major Mass™ Lean Protein Gainer is a Weight Gainer manufactured by VMI Sports. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

Click here to read our
Ultimate Mass Gainer Guide
ARTICLES

Protein > Weight Gainers

June 8, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Keeps You Full
  • Prime Ingredients
  • Great Recovery
  • Amazing Taste
  • Mixes Effortlessly
  • -amazing Taste
  • Only Use When Burning A High Amount Of Carbs
  • Not Cost Effective At 4 Scoops

A solid mass gainer with great flavor and "do your job" as Coach Belichick says.

I want to send a big thank you to the people at VMI who continue to deliver on their supplements. I have never done a mass gainer, so I wanted to try it. When I first got it, I was so excited because it was a 4 lbs tub but I later learned it was for 30 servings instead of the 60 servings I thought it was. I was a little sad but 30 servings are my normal, so the sadness was short-lived.

This is a protein blend powder with more calories, sugar, and carbs than I normally use because I usually do a low carb, sugar, and calories protein powder like protein isolate. All the elements are a serving which is 2 scoops.

Calories from fat 45
Total fat 7 g
Cholesterol 58 mg
Total carbs 29 g
Sugar 10 g
Protein 20 g

As you can see, this is a high amount item but you need to understand before using this protein it is a "mass gainer" which will have higher amounts than a normal protein powder. This protein blend has whey protein concentrate, whole milk powder, whey protein isolate, and milk protein isolate. It also has a time released carb blend so you will not get overwhelmed with carbs real fast so you won't feel the way you do after having a foot long subway sandwich. There is also peanut flour (so do not take if you have peanut allergies), fat blend with several types of oils, and Graham Cracker crumbs (which gives you the "cookie" taste and texture from the protein shake). It also lists the typical amino acid profile. The ingredients are great and I like having the milk ingredients added to it which give it more of an "ice cream" shake taste. You also get a good protein blend. The time release carbs were wonderful as it didn't leave me feeling bloated and tired because a high amount of carbs at one time can do that to you. The 29 g of carbs is high and gets really high when you get up to 4 scoops at 58 g. The carb issue is discussed in the effectiveness section. Ingredients are good, so I give it a high-ranking.

I have to say that the taste on this was unbelievable and maybe one of the best ones I ever had. I was able to get the peanut butter cookie which tasted like peanut butter with some chunks of chocolate chip cookies in it. Tried it with water and the flavor was good but I found it best with almond milk. The mixability was fine but make sure you get enough liquid if you use up to 4 scoops at one time because the instructions say to mix with 2 scoops with 6-8 ounces of liquid. The protein shake did have little chunks in it but that was not due to the mixability but for the cookie taste and texture. So taste and mixability were no issues. Dosing on this threw me for a loop at first because I usually use 1 scoop to get 20 g of protein powder and this product required two but this was a minor problem. It has 30 servings per tub with 2 scoops. The outside of the tub shows 40 g of protein but understand you have to use 4 scoops to get the 40 g. 2 scoops is 20 g of protein so dosing was fine. I would use 2 scoops before a workout and 2 more after a workout. I give this a high-ranking, especially for the taste.

I wanted to try this so I changed my workout to a HIIT workout. In order to keep from putting on weight from the carbs, I had to extend cardio. So I did twice as much cardio as I normally do to keep from putting weight on. I was able to do this without having any weight issues. Also, because of the more carbs and sugar, I was able to keep going with my workout and not get tired or worn out which may happen with a low carb diet. I can't say I had a "mass gainer" in muscle and strength but I can say I feel the product did its job. I felt full, had great recovery, and had wonderful workouts. I feel stronger so I believe it is an effective product so I give it a high rating.

The VMI Mass Gainer sells for around $46 for 30 servings so it works out to $1.53 per serving which is 2 scoops. Be careful when you're looking for a mass gainer because this is not like your normal whey protein. I found some as cheap as $20 but read the label. The one for $20 only had 8 servings so if you increase it to 30 you spend $60. The cheapest was $40 by Cellucor with only 28 servings. The VMI Mass Gainer is one of the cheapest ones you can find online for a mass gainer. Mass gainers are expensive due to the quality that is in each product. This for me is a really good price for a mass gainer and because they can get as high as a $100 for the same amount of servings. Just make sure you read the labels. I give this a high-ranking due to the high price of a mass gainer and this is a reasonable price.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

This is a great product for a mass gainer. The ingredients are good. The taste is wonderful. No issues with mixability. 4 scoops is a lot of powder but as a small issue. It was effective. The price is very reasonable. There were no side effects. If you are looking for a mass gainer, this is the one. The only catch is the price you pay for a mass gainer is high when comparing it to the normal protein powders. I would only buy it again if I was training for a marathon, a gantlet, or something else with a high amount of energy from things like the carbs or sugar. If that is the case, I would buy only this mass gainer so it gets a high-ranking.
  • Peanut butter cookie: 10/10

Other Prices:
Amazon   $45.99
VMI Sports   $59.99

June 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Keeps You Full
  • Great Recovery

This is a good meal replacement/lean mass gainer. It's delicious, mixes well, and works well as a shake and with yogurt.

I'm a powerlifter and am 2.5 weeks out from my fourth meet. I really enjoyed VMI's Protolyte, so when I saw Major Mass in the Troops program, I wanted to give it a go. I used it as a meal replacement vs. using it as a mass gainer as I'm not putting on weight right now. I would either drink it or mix it with yogurt and consume it post workout to start my carb refeeds.

Each tub of Major Mass comes with 60 scoops. The smallest serving size listed is 2 scoops. The macros are (for two scoops):

Calories 250, Protein 20g, Carbs 31g (10g sugar), Fat 5g (3.5g saturated).

The protein is a blend of Whey Protein Concentrate, Whole Milk Powder, Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate. The carbs come from Carb10 and maltodextrin. Carb10

The fat comes from a combination of MCT Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, and Whole Milk Powder.

There are is also a digestive complex in the product.

I got Apple Pie Ala Mode and it tastes great (9.5/10). It tastes just like apple pie filling, and it has graham cracker bits that give it a nice crunch, reminding me of a crunchy pie crust.

The mixability is good. It mixes well with a shaker bottle and it dissolves easily in milk or water. The shakes were on the thick side, which I prefer.

I usually used 2 scoops at a time (sometimes 3). I would either mix it with Fairlife or greek yogurt and would eat it post workout.

As a meal replacement, I found Major Mass to be pretty effective. Two scoops was enough to keep me full for a few hours without leaving me overly full or bloated.

I liked how balanced the product is. A lot of people avoid fat post workout because it slows digestion but newer research suggests that having fat along with protein post workout may improve MPS (e.g. whole eggs would be preferable to egg whites).

I also found that my recovery improved with the shakes. I was less sore during my run with Major Mass and even though my squat days were two days apart (Saturday and then again on Monday), I was always roaring and ready to go on Monday's session.

The list price is $60, which is pretty high, but I often see it selling for $40, and I've seen it sell for $32. If you have 2 scoops at a time, this is only $1.06/serving, which I think is pretty fair for a meal replacement.

It's a bit tricky comparing mass gainers as they often use different serving sizes/servings per container. I decided to use calories per dollar as a way to compare them.

Major Mass is about the same (in terms of calories/dollar) as ON Pro Gainer, is cheaper Beverly International Mass Maker, and is a bit cheaper than Muscletech's Mass Tech

As far as high quality gainers go, Major Mass is a good deal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

As I expected, Major Mass was a tasty treat. It was also good for my training/recovery. I highly recommend.
    • Apple Pie ala Mode: 9/10

Other Prices:
    Amazon   $45.99
    VMI Sports   $59.99

June 3, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Keeps You Full
    • Good Meal Replacment
    • Prime Ingredients
    • Mixes Effortlessly
    • Amazing Taste
    • Cookie Piece Are Almost Oreos
    • Not Cost Effective At 4 Scoops

Weight gainer or meal replacement, you're getting amazing quality taste with high quality calories in a nice ratio.

Greetings SR! Back again with another review and this time it's Major Mass brought to you by VMI. Firstly, I want to thank the SR TROOPs program and VMI Sports for giving me the opportunity to try this product out. If you want to know of my background, you can find it in my profile here at:

Nutritional Info:
    Dietary Fiber 0g
    Sugars 10g
    Protein 20g

Ingredients:
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whole Milk Powder, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate)
    Carb Blend (Maltodextrin, Legume-Based Starch Derived From Pisum Sativum (Peas) (As Carb10), Dextrose),
    Fat Blend (Coconut Oil Creamer, Avocado Oil Powder, Coconut Oil Powder, And MCT Powder), Non GMO Cookie Crumbs
    Natural And Artificial Flavors
    Sucralose
    Enzyme Blend (Protease 1, Protease 11, Amylases, Lipase, And Lactase)

Mass gainers seem to come in 2 types, either ridiculously high calorie ones with a massive amount of carbs, or a 'lean' gainer that balances out the ratios more so you go 1.5-2.0 carb to protein. As you can see, this is the later with a 3:2:1 ratio of carbs to protein to fat. To me this hits the sweet spot for what I'm looking for as a meal replacement.

I like that in the protein sources, whey is the #1 source. While i'm always going to look for isolate over concentrate, i have no qualms in a mass gainer about concentrate being the number one ingredient. The carbs are a nice mix of quick carbs like the maltodextrin and slower carbs like the Carb10. Finally, the fats are dealt with in the same manner, higher quality sources from coconut and avacado. The inclusion of the enzyme blend makes it easier to digest and should keep the gas down.

Taste is, for lack of a better term, fantastic. I got the ice cream sandwich (thanks VMI!) and I loved every single scoop of it. It's somewhere between an ice cream cookie sandwich I had as a kid and cookies and cream ice cream. Even the little cookie pieces had a nice and soft texture that reminded me of an Oreo soaked in milk. For a recovering fat kid, I couldn't ask for more.

Mixibility was good, but not great. While the powder dissolved very easily in water and milk (I used as little as 4oz per scoop), the tiny little cookie pieces settled to the bottom quickly and required a reshake between sips. Again, this is the cookie solids, not the powder, so they are meant to not mix up, just would have liked them to be suspended a bit more to get all the goodness of them.

Dosing is very needs dependent. There are 60 scoops of powder the 4 lb tub and each has 125 calories. This gives you a total of 7,500 calories to distribute as you see fit for your needs. The tub recommends a two scoop serving but also listed nutritional information for a 4 scoop serving. Addtionally, dosing is recommended both pre and post workout with a total recommendation of 2-4 servings a day depending on mass gaining needs. One of the highlights here is that the scoop is small, the same size as most protein shakes. This makes it much easier to tailor your portion sizes as well as actually get it into the shaker bottle of your choice without spilling, a downfall of some other mass gainers.

8.3/10
    I can't judge this as a mass gainer as I took it as a meal replacement instead. As a meal replacement option though, it was great. I played around a bit with the dosing and found that the sweet spot for me was 3 scoops in 12 oz of skim milk. This gave me right about 500 calories and struck the right balance for me between sating my hunger while not leaving me overly full and sitting like a brick in my stomach. With that mix, I was kept full for about 2-3 hours., close to how long I stay full when eating an actual meal. Mixing with water wasn't bad either but it left me feeling less than satisfied from a taste perspective and I was left wanting a bit more substance as it felt just too thin.

The cost of this supplement is $46 for a 60 scoop tub of 4lbs normally and can be as low as $40 from what I can find. This puts you at $.67 a scoop total and if you use the standard dose you'll pay $1.30 a go. Another way to look at this is that you're essentially getting 188 calories per dollar.

If you compare this product to other mass gainers, its more expensive per calorie than the high carb ones and about the same or a bit higher than other lean mass gainers. I find this to be a fair value as the ingredients are high quality and the taste is perfect.

Something for mass gainers in general, value is always in the eye of the beholder for a product like this as you are paying for convenience calories, food is almost always cheaper. Compare this to a meal-prepped option, this is almost certainly more expensive but it's also easy to make, keeps good for a long time, and transports easily.

Side Effects

None. I was expecting to have more of that gut bomb feeling but even if I took 4 scoops, didn't feel bloated or lethargic after having it. No gas either, i credit the enzyme blend but whatever it was, it worked well for me from a digestive standpoint.

Conclusion

8.6/10
    I'm a huge fan of this product as a meal replacement. It tastes great, is very convenient, and helped me meet my macros, all while tasting great and letting me feel like I have a treat in my diet. It's not cheap, but as I work full time and have two littles under the age of 3, I am willing to pay for making my life a little bit easier. Highly recommends for anyone who is looking for a shake that increases their macros or needs a well proportioned meal replacement.
    • Ice Cream Sandwich: 9/10

Overall
    Overall
    9.5
      May 30, 2018

• Trademarked Ingredients
    • Enzyme Blend
    • Convenient
    • Price Could Use A Little Work

A great tasting mass gainer with convenient benefits offering clean, quality, and trademarked ingredients to support recovery and aid digestion.

I want to thank VMI Sports for this opportunity.

I recently decided to increase my calories, so this opportunity was perfect timing and a major blessing.

I enjoy mass gainers for allowing me to consume a mass amount of calories in liquid form.

Most mass gainers I've had in the past didn't taste or mix that well making me think that most of them are probably this way. With that mentality, I was a little hesitant to pursue this opportunity. I'm glad I did.

My flavor was Chocolate Milkshake which has the following ingredient profile:

1 scoop equals 60 servings.

Each scoop has 125 calories coming from:

3g Fat
    15g Carbohydrate (5g of that is Sugar)
    10g Protein

*this whole product has 7,500 calories total. You can choose whatever serving size accordingly to fit your needs. I'll talk more about that later.

The 3g fat come from Coconut Oil Creamer, Avocado Oil Powder, Coconut Oil Powder, MCT Powder, and some from the whole milk powder used for protein. Saturated or not, I think this is a great blend of healthy fat sources.

The 15g carbohydrate come from Maltodextrin, Carb10 (pea starch), and Dextrose. I like the mixture between simple and complex carbs or as VMI calls it a "multi-phase carb blend". I also liked that they used Compound Solutions for the Carb10. Carb10 is a low-glycemic carbohydrate that does not cause a high blood sugar or insulin response. This has been getting a lot of attention lately and I'm happy to have tried it.

The 10g of protein come from Whey Protein Concentrate, Whole Milk Powder, Whey Protein Isolate, and Milk Protein Isolate. I love drinking milk as much as possible, so I like that they used a couple milk and isolate sources as well as having whey protein first listed.

They used their own digestive enzyme blend called Digestisorb which consists of: Protease I & II, Amylases, Lipase, and Lactase. Thank you VMI for this. This definitely improved digestibility making it easy on the stomach.

I like the clean sources for each macro and highly appreciate the enzyme blend. MCT's are a popular and highly recommended fat source. Coconut and Avocados are healthy. Using Carb10 makes me happy knowing I'm taking care of my insulin sensitivity. Overall, a 10/10 here as I wouldn't change a thing.

Taste - This tasted amazing. It was so creamy, smooth, and delicious. I didn't want to stay away from it. My mother nailed it when she said it tasted like Cocoa Puffs. They sent the other flavors for me to try. They were good, but I'm glad I chose chocolate milkshake. Overall a 10/10 on the chocolate milkshake flavor.

Mixability - This depends on a couple factors, but overall it mixed so easy no matter how I mixed it or what solvent used. I used water and a blender most of the time. My first time I only tried 250 calories (2 scoops) because my pass experiences with mixing mass gainers over 250 calories wasn't the greatest. They get all weird textured, but real soon I started to replace part of my post workout meals with 500 calories (4 scoops) and stuck with it. Four scoops mixed just as easy and I stood corrected. It looked effortless and still tasted smooth. Overall, 10/10 on mixability.

Dosing - This whole product has 7,500 calories total. 1 scoop is 125 calories which equals 60 servings. I highly utilized this product while having it due to recently increasing my calorie intake. I used 1,000 calories a day which is 8 scoops at 7.5 servings. 1 in the morning, 4 post workout, 2 randomly, and 1 before bed. You can use this however you like. I like how versatile the serving settings were. VMI gave me most of the control by not forcing me with a big scoop. I liked that. I chose 8 scoops a day for 1,000 calories at 7.5 servings, you can accordingly arrange a use for the product however you desire.

This helped me so much. This supported my calorie increase by allowing me to easily consume 1,000 calories in a day. I could of done more, but it wasn't needed. This was way better than getting a thousand calories from food. I struggle with eating in the first place, but I went from 3,000 calories to 4,000 during the time I had this and now I have to go back to whole food. Using this made everything easy and convenient.

I feel this is a 10/10 when it comes to effectiveness. It did everything I needed. It also gave me a new perspective and standard on mass gainers.

I swapped out some food in my post workout meal for 500 calories from this and I feel it drastically increased my recovery time. Even though it's still 500 calories, I feel liquid calories increase absorption and digestion, which will lead to increased recovery. I just felt more taken care of when I included this post workout. The benefits from the Carb10 and Digestisorb rolled over to the whole foods, which was cool. My recovery was also influenced through the extra calories being provided. There were times where I felt I could train a second time during the day when having this around, but I didn't. I do feel Major Mass gave me that confidence though. The extra 1,000 calories were nutrient dense and clean in which I felt an increase in energy and wellbeing.

This went by really quick the way I used it. I had plans for it once I saw it and it turned out better than expected. It was convenient having the two scoops randomly during my days as it was acting like a meal replacement, but mainly because it helped increase the calories in whatever given meal I was having. I thank the enzyme blend for this as I did not experience any stomach discomfort.

Overall, again I feel this is a 10/10 when it comes to effectiveness. It helped me get the job done the way I desired.

Suppz.com has this for $38.99 in 3 flavors. Major Mass comes in 4lbs. Most are usually 6lbs and cheaper. I do feel ~$40 is somewhat high for 4lbs at 7,500 calories total. At 2lbs more, $11 less, and 2,740 calories more, one could get Dymatize Super Mass Gainer on BBB.com. Just saying. Their website price is too high at $59.99.

I think we are paying for the look (which is beautiful), trademarked ingredients (which helped) ,and overall quality (which matters). This would cost me $200 a month the way I used it, while I could get away spending around ~$90 from a different product.

If funds are an issue, than yes this value is not fair. If I had the money, I would support this company even though I feel the price could use some work. I trust the ingredients and like everything about this mass gainer. With saying that I give the value a 9/10 for being overpriced, but understood.

I will also say their customer service is really great. We are probably paying for that as well which is a benefit for us in the long run.

Side Effects

Nothing. All good.

Conclusion

This was a well rounded mass gainer. I appreciate the support it provided for my calorie surplus during the time that I had it. It contained clean, quality, and trademarked ingredients; one in which is an enzyme blend that helped prevent any stomach discomfort for me. Another called Carb10 that supports glucose and insulin sensitivity. It has a versatile serving size, an amazing taste, and convenient benefits. This has opened my eyes to greater possibilities regarding my progress and I recommend trying.
    • Chocolate Milkshake: 10/10

May 27, 2018

• Not Cost Effective At 4 Scoops

Major Mass is a great overall gainer formula that can definitely help those of us with the "hardgainer" genetics. I chose this primarily because, as a hardgainer myself always trying to keep my macro intake to anabolic support levels, the occasional use of a gainer can come in big time handy.

A major thanks to VMI for their continued support and participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their gainer protein formula Major Mass. Being a hardgainer means you gotta make sure your especially stringent with your intake of the necessary nutrients needed to keep the anabolic gears rolling. I am not a frequent user of weight gainers since most on today's market are loaded with too much unnecessary sugars and refined carbs. This could result more so in a sloppy gut rather than lean mass. Plus, as many of us would advocate, good wholesome food is always your best source for what you need. Despite this, there are a handful of gainers that are in fact more favorably formulated with better ingredient profiles.

As you would expect similar to most gainers, the profile contains a plethora of protein, carbs, and fats. Always be sure to go over the profile and make sure that these macros are coming from healthy sources.

Each 2 scoop serving provides a total of 250 calories. These calories are derived from a total of 6g of fats (3.5 of which are saturated), 30g of carbs, 10g of sugar, and 20g of protein. As you double the serving size, the double these quantities accordingly.

The fats are derived from more healthier sources including coconut oil, MCT, and avocado oil.

The protein is derived from a blend of various sources including whey protein concentrate, whey isolate, milk protein isolate, and whole milk powder. Clearly, if you suffer from milk allergies, you may not want to take this.

The carbs include Major Mass's patented Carb10 time released carb blend that includes legume pea starch and maltodextrin.

Lastly, Major Mass includes a digestive enzyme blend that contains protease I and II, Lipase, Lactase, and Amylase.

Overall, this is a solid profile and provided you use a gainer according to your needs, this can help you get in your extra macros in a favorably healthy way.

The flavor options were beyond tempting so I decided to let VMI surprise me. I received chocolate milkshake. This was perhaps one the best tasting gainer formulas I've had in awhile. I used both water and milk. In water it was great, but in milk, instant taste bud orgasm.

Mixability was fine in either milk or water regardless how I prepared it. I used a shaker cup and blender and each time it mixed thoroughly and properly.

For most of the duration of my run, I stuck to only using one 2 scoop serving. However, on a few occasions, I did take an additional 2 scoop serving as well. I would have a serving sometime around midday mixed usually with water, but used milk on some occasions. If an additional scoop was needed, it would be taken around the early evening usually 30 minutes following a training session.

I enjoyed several aspects of Major Mass, other than the taste, relating to how it helped'' me maintain my caloric and macro intake and the benefits it had to my overall anabolic support.

It helped improve my natural energy levels thanks mostly to the additional carbs I was supplementing with the midday dosage going into my workout. I had more of a carb pump and more overall glycogen induced drive.

The extra protein and added MCT helped improve my recovery as I was feeling less sore and had reduced DOMS each consecutive day going into each training session.

The added fats help maintain my satiety longer and I wasn't experiencing any annoying random hunger spikes that would often leave me feeling bogged down due to wanting to eat something.

The digestive enzymes ensured that I didn't get any uncomfortable digestive issues like bloat, gas, or bubble gut. I never had any such issues and all the servings went down easily.

All the additional protein, carbs, and fat sources from Major Mass helped meet all macro and calorie needs without adding unnecessary bad carbs, sugars, or unwanted fats.

As the reviewers before me already noted, the cheapest price right now is 40 dollars on Campus Protein. The value will depend on how often you use it. If you're a "single serving with the occasional extra serving" user like me, the tub will last a decent amount of time. Frequent daily serving users will probably find the investment more expensive since the tub won't last as long. Overall, I'd still say that the price is a very good value considering Major Mass's quality and efficacy. As I always note, look out for sales.

Side Effects

None, but be sure your diet is in check

Conclusion

If you're a hardgainer or simply an athlete who requires additional supplementation of the macros you need, I highly recommend Major Mass. It tastes great, is easy on the stomach, and contains favorable sources of everything you need. Be sure that the majority of what you need is being obtained from good wholesome food.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!
    • Chocolate Milkshake: 9/10

May 7, 2018

• Amazing Taste

This is far and away the best tasting supplement I've ever had. It was great for post-workout recovery, it was great for meal replacement, it was great as a guilt free treat between meals. I'm in a minor state of depression now that it's gone, and I can't wait to order more... wait I already did!

First off: Major Mass-sized thank you to VMI for inventing this stuff and letting me try it. If it weren't for the TROOPs program I probably never would have pulled the trigger and bought it. I would have a hard time believing that something can be as good as a peanut butter cookie, or ice cream sandwich, or lucky charms, etc. Now that I've tried it, I'm a believer and a follower.

Second thing: Before I'm castrated on my run times here, they're actually about 3 days longer than reported since I forgot to update, but even that means I was taking multiple servings daily. Which I was. Because it was just so friggen' good!!

Let's get into it, how it worked, and what I noticed.

The per scoop Macros on Major Mass (at least PB Cookie) are as follows: 125 k/cal, 10g Protein, 15.5g Carbs, 2.5g Fat. I personally love these ratios because for whatever reason I have the most trouble getting enough carbs in my diet. I never have an issue with hitting my fats and proteins but carbs are the one area where I struggle slightly.

Each scoop does also contain 5g of sugar which some might take offense to. However, the trade off for me is the flavor. If there were ever a company that is able to improve on the flavor, I'd probably die of euphoria upon trying it. I really don't think it can get better than this. If it takes 5g of sugar to get there, so be it. It still fits my macros and sugar isn't added as a standalone ingredient, so I'm doubly OK with this.

As for the protein, this is delivered in a blend that includes whey concentrate, whole milk powder, milk isolate, and whey isolate. This is OK- but not ideal in my opinion. It's really not a deal breaker, but with meal replacements, I prefer more of a whole food approach that uses protein from various sources that aren't whey.

Carbs are a different story. I'm very impressed with the use of Carb10 instead of just Maltodextrin. Carb10 seems healthier and causes much less of a spike in blood sugar. It seemed to aid in recovery quite a bit too.

The fat selection too is good, but not perfect. Overall I think the fat content is low, but there is more saturated fat than unsaturated fat. I would prefer the opposite. I'm wondering if that's difficult to do using dairy-based protein sources though.

Lastly, I really like the fact that they include all the main digestive enzymes. I'm not sure how much is actually included, but I was taking multiple servings daily and never had the slightest issue with digestion-- and I'm admittedly known to be a bit of a puss with that.

Taste: Are you still wondering? It's the best. The. Best. I'm writing that with a big jug of MRE sitting on my desk too. I'd consider MRE to be a far and away second when it comes to flavor of similar products. VMI's Major Mass is just in a league of its own. I was sent the peanut butter cookie and I found myself needing to talk myself out of using it at times because I just couldn't seem to stop myself. They should probably make it taste worse.

Mixability: Very easy. I had a few instances where I didn't shake enough and got chunks but it was seldom, and they were small if it happened at all. I mixed it using water sometimes, but mainly using skim milk. Both worked great. The edge on taste goes to the milk though.

Dosing: I used this at various times during my run. A few days I used it post-workout as my breakfast and it seemed to be great in aiding my recovery, especially with the high quality carbs. Other days I used it mid-day between lunch and dinner, and it would easily keep me full until the next meal. Lastly, on a few occasions I used it at night about an hour before going to bed. It easily helped stave off morning hunger pains and made me feel full but not bloated, so it was easy to fall asleep.

Overall I think Major Mass worked very well. I've done enough gushing about how it tastes, but in action it became a really easy way for me to get the calories I need with a good macro-ratio, even when short on time. As a dad, hubby, DIY-er, and overly responsive employee, I'm always on my way somewhere to do something and often forget to eat. When this happens I'll sometimes find myself stopping for a quick cheeseburger from mcdonalds or sometimes will just wait and skip eating until my next opportunity. Neither is good. However with Major Mass, I had a quick, delicious, and healthy way to eat what I should without slowing down. The result was a little over a week of the best workouts I've had in months. That's really invaluable to me.

Major Mass, along with most similar products, is expensive at a glance. The best price I saw was on Campus Protein for $40. Serving size can vary, but if you're using 4 scoops you're getting 15 servings at about $2.67 per. That seems like a lot, but if you try to think of other ways to deliver 500 calories in a single shot, along with 40g of protein and a healthy ratio of fat and carbs, I think you'll have trouble thinking of an alternative. Between the taste, the ease of use, and the macros, I'm glad to pay this much.

Side Effects

Shamefully chain-drinking your shakes.

Conclusion

Go buy it. Go buy it. Go buy it.

Seriously, it's so good and the macros are so well structured, I can think of every reason why someone serious about their nutrition and health should go buy this. The only reason I can think of not buying it is that it's expensive when looked at as a single expense. However, when compared to the things it can replace in your diet, I think it benefits both your wallet and your waistline.

I think this is the best thing I've claimed as a TROOPer so far. I've already re-ordered and Majorly suggest you get on this bandwagon today.
      • Peanut butter cookie: 10/10

March 8, 2018

• Some Sides When Taking More Than Two Scoops

I do not usually take mass gainers but after reviewing VMI's protein isolate supplement I wanted to give this a try. Furthermore, the flavors on this product sounded great. So, here is the review.

Major Mass comes in a 60 scoop tub and I received the S'Mores flavor. There are three different serving sizes that are broken down in the supplement facts. At two scoops it contains 250 calories, 5g of fat, 31g of carbs, and 20g of protein. At four scoops it has 500 calories, 10g of fat, 63g of carbs, and 40g of protein. Finally, at eight scoops it comes in with 1000 calories, 20g of fat, 124g of carbs, and 80g of protein. I really like how they break it down in these different serving sizes. I think most people will end up taking between two and four scoops and having it broken down for macro purposes is great.

The protein source for this product is a protein blend that contains whey protein concentrate, whole milk protein, whey protein isolate, and milk protein isolate. I am hit or miss when it comes to whether I will have side effects from a blend heavy with whey protein concentrate. In the case of Major Mass, I did have slight side effects. It was nothing huge but I would not mind seeing more whey protein isolate in the blend. After the protein you have a time released carb blend consisting of maltodextrin, carbo 10, and dextrose. Than you have cocoa powder, dehydrated marshmallows, natural flavors, sucralose, and an enzyme blend.

The flavor that I had was S'Mores and it tasted fantastic. They really nailed the flavor of S'Mores even down to the subtle hint of cinnamon from the graham crackers. When you first drink this you are hit with a subtle chocolate taste that is followed by a slight cinnamon flavor and it ends with a marshmallow taste. Now, there are actual small marshmallows in the product similar to hot cocoa mix. While I did like them they sometimes made drinking the shake a little awkward since I did not want to swallow them whole. It was not at all bad but I am not really a fan of having anything in my shake that messes with the texture. This was similar to Ghost Whey, which had pie crust. In terms of mixability, it mixed fairly well but would foam very slightly when mixed with milk. I already mentioned the marshmallows and they did not dissolve or anything, which was expected. As far as dosing goes, I used this to fill my macros so it really depended on the day. I mostly used two scoops but some days I went up.

It is hard to rate the effectiveness of this product as I used it as a food to fill my macros. When taking two scoops I noticed that it kept me full for about two hours. Every scoop after two I noticed it was about another hour of keeping be sated. Now, whenever I went above two scoops I did get some side effects so I usually stuck to just two. I was happy with a scoop an hour for keeping me sated. I will note that with regular protein supplements I am hungry shortly after taking them. Another way this product was effective is the taste and my desire to actually take it. This protein tastes phenomenal and I looked forward to taking it. I have had protein shakes that were gross and it was hard to even choke down.

One area I felt that this was effective was improved recovery. I noticed that while taking this I was slightly less sore. In addition, when taking this after my workouts I would notice I was not as drained as I usually am with a standard protein shake. This was especially notable after running when I am usually wiped out but when taking this I was not as tired. Overall, this was a great protein product and I liked the versatility of it for filling my macros.

At the time of this writing I found Major Mass at Campus Protein for $38.99 for a full container. At one scoop you are looking at $0.64 and at the dosage I most used of two scoops it is $1.29. It is hard to compare the price of this to other mass gainer products. However, the two I could find that were close are Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer and Redcon1 MRE. I will do the comparison basing it off an equivalent of the $1.29 serving of Major Mass. A comparable serving Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer is a half scoop that will go for $1.48. Redcon1 MRE for two scoops is $1.60 per serving. So, Major Mass is competitively priced and I think it comes down to what you want and how you can handle whey protein blends.

Side Effects

I did have some slight gas, heavy feeling and bloating when I took more than two scoops at anyone time. At times when taking two scoops I would still get gas without the the heavy feeling or bloating. I think it has to do with the first protein being whey protein concentrate. I am hit or miss with side effects from whey blends and this one hit me a little bit.

Conclusion

Major Mass is a great tasting lean mass gainer that I am glad I got to try. It was effective for me in terms of recovery, keeping me full, and being great tasting. I did have some side effects from it but keeping my dosage on the lower side stopped them for the most part. I definitely recommend giving this a try! Thank you to VMI Sports for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler
      • Smores: 9/10

February 27, 2018

• Not Cost Effective At 4 Scoops

First off, I want to thank VMI Sports and the TROOP program for giving me the opportunity to review this product. I almost always use whey protein post workout (WPI/WPC/Combo) and generally don't take gainers. Since my days playing football, I just haven't wanted to get any bigger so I haven't really had the need for a gainer. Also, gainers (imo) are usually full of tons of cheap ingredients and I feel that I can make my own gainer for less money.

VMI Sports Major Mass truly did catch my eye. I like the idea of a lean gainer. Plus, I have recently switched up my workout routine to include more olympic lifting and I feel like a few extra carbs/calories/fat won't hurt.

Serving Size 2 Scoops
      Servings Per Container 30
      Total Fat 5g
      Total Carbohydrate 31g
      Sugars 10g
      Protein 20g

At two scoops, I really like the ingredient profile. I feel like it gives you a good ratio of carbs:fat:protein. Additionally, I really like the inclusion of the various fat/protein/carb blends that I will include in more detail below. I feel like this supplement uses quality ingredients to help you recover, whereas many other gainers just use cheap ingredients to jack up the calories and save the company costs.

Time Released Carb Blend (Maltodextrin, Legume-Based Starch Derived From Pisum Sativum (Peas) (As Carb10), Dextrose)

I had the Marshmallow Charms flavor and was not disappointed. It tasted like you were drinking the leftover milk from a bowl of lucky charms. The product even had little marshmallows in it. It was honestly so good and I looked forward to it everyday. It is one of my favorite tasting post-workouts to date (and yes I know gainers are generally pretty tasty).

Major Mass mixed very well. I would usually mix 2 scoops in about 8 ounces of water and found that the powder mixed completely and had a good consistency. Naturally, the marshmallows float at the top of your shake...unless you leave the shake long enough for them to dissolve.

I never took this at more than 2 scoops, because I didn't feel the need for all of the added calories, fat, and carbs.

I think this product is very effective when it comes to recovery and adding lean muscle. I found that I did gain a few pounds over the course of my use of Major Mass, while still maintaining a lean appearance. I would think that it would be even more effective as a gainer if you were to take 3 or 4 scoops at a time, but at that point I would question whether a gainer is really cost effective. Therefore, I think the sweet spot is right at two scoops--where the product will help give you good clean calories and still be somewhat cost effective.

As another reviewer pointed out, the cheapest online will get you about $1.33 per 2-scoop serving. I think this is fairly reasonable for a gainer, given that the calories you are getting are from top notch quality ingredients like carb10, mcts, and whey protein. If you were to take 2 servings at a time (4 scoops) I don't think the value is very good.

Side Effects

Gained a couple pounds. Felt full after drinking, causing me to not want to eat dinner.

Conclusion

This is the best tasting post-workout supplement that I have taken so far. If you are like me and want some quality calories to help you get bigger while staying lean, this is a great option. I believe that people looking for massive amounts of calories can make a gainer for less money, but if you like the idea of a "lean gainer" this is a phenomenal option.
      • Marshmallow charms: 10/10

February 19, 2018

• Amazing Taste

First and foremost I would like to thank VMI Sports for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I usually love to have mass gainers in the evening to substitute my dinner and go easy on the stomach. I also like the fact that I get all the nutrients that I would need for my body to replenish and rebuild itself after a hard workout. The love my body gives me in return is the quick recovery ... When I noticed this offering I couldn't resist .. The profile looks awesome so I claimed it.

One serving which is two spoons has;

250 Calories
        Fat 5 g
        Cholesterol 58 mg
        Sodium 125 mg
        Potassium 187 mg
        Carbohydrates 31 g
        Protein 20 g

These are really good numbers for a mass gainer. The protein is sources from whey protein concentrate, whole milk powder, whey protein Isolate, and milk protein isolates. Carbs comes from Maltodextrin, peas aka Carb10 and Dextrose. Fat comes from Coconut oil creamer, avocado oil powder, coconut oil powder and MCT powder.

All these sources are great and I have nothing negative to say.

FANTASTICALLY AMAZING!!! ... It's like having lucky charms, letting it soak in the milk throwing out everything and just leaving the marshmallows and milk. This was something I truly enjoyed every time and it felt more like a treat than a necessity. I wished everything that I supplemented tasted this good. This has real marshmallows and it can be a bit sweet ... but I personally enjoyed it tremendously.

I used 4 scoops with 14 oz of milk and it mixed fine after just few shakes. I didn't have any problem mixing this and did not require a blender. I did it the same way I would with a regular whey protein. It obviously didn't mix as fast and easy as Isolate but I would compare it to whey concentrate.

I took this every time in the evening after my workout to skip my dinner. I personally think that this is way better than eating something solid before bed. So it did two things for me ... it kept my macros and and my hunger in check. This really helped me out with being full. It didn't per say make me bigger since my weight stay the same but it definitely left my stomach healthier since hopefully it didn't need to work over time to process what I ate in the evening. As far as lean muscle ... I don't think me or anyone else will be able to tell if they are getting leaner by taking 15 servings. I'm sure in the long haul it would make me leaner since having this for dinner and not snaking would probably make me loose that unwanted fat. Secondly, my body would be getting everything it needs to rebuild after a hard workout.

So currently I found this for 40$ at campusprotein.com which will cost you 2.66 if you took 4 scoops (2 servings) like me or 1.33 if you just took the 2 scoops (1 serving). I have reviewed a mass gainer before and this is a bit more expensive. But, price is not value and this offers more protein, more carbs and more fat. Did I mention that the taste in unbeatable? One would wish they could come up with a large tub so I could buy more for a better price. Unfortunately the other mass gainer when buying a 15 lb tub, one serving was for almost half the price than this product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Highly recommended if you want a mass gainer. If you in the market of buying just a small tub than this can be beaten for the price. The taste and the macros are a perfect combo. I enjoyed every sip and will be on a lookout to get me some more. Even though I have a large tub of another mass gainer I still miss this one and it's taste. Thank you for reading this and stay bulky.
        • Marshmallow charms: 10/10

February 15, 2018

• Normal Scooper Size

38 years old and I lift 4 days a week. I weigh in at 240 pound and at times getting enough "clean" calories can be difficult while keeping that fine balance of fat, carbs and protein. When I saw this pop up on SR as an opportunity, I realized I could use this product to enhance and achieve my daily macro goals easier. Big thank you to SR and VMI Sports for this opportunity.

What I like here is that the profile gets broken down based off servings of either 2,4, or 8 scoops. Each scoop is around 30.25g so its a reasonable size. Other Mass Gainers I have had have insanely large scoopers that barely fit in the tub, so this was a normal size one which I appreciated since I did not spill the powder everywhere each use. Every 2 scoops nets you 250 Calories, 5g Fat, 31g Carbs, 10g Sugar,and 20g Protein. The protein is a blend of Whey Protein Concentrate, Whole Milk Powder, Whey Protein Isolate, and Milk Protein Isolate. The Carbs are Maltodextrin as Carb10. Carb10 aids in digestion and makes carbs a healthier alternative. More information on Carb10 can be found here http://www.compoundsolutions.com/assets/carb10_brochure_mar2016.pdf

The fat blend is Coconut Oil Creamer, Avocado Oil Powder, Coconut Oil Powder, and MCT Powder. I like this blend, as you see with most fad diets out there they say to include MCT, Coconut or Avocado oil/powder. Overall, I think this is a pretty solid profile and I do like that VMI labels it all out there, so you know exactly what protein, carbs, and fats you are getting without having to wonder. The normal size scooper gives you the ability to take whatever dose you need to hit your daily goals, which I thought was a great idea.

Taste: I remember looking at the different flavors before ordering this, and thinking they all sound amazing. I recieved the Smores flavor and I could not have been happier. First of all there are baby marshmellows inside, which is fantastic. I mixed this with water and milk. Water was okay, but with milk this was an amazing treat. I took this post workouts and I really looked forward to it. It felt like a healthy desert after a grueling workout, the saddest day was when I ran out!

Mixability: The majority of the time I used a blender, as I normally would with a mass gainer. However, I used 1 and 2 scoops in a shaker and shook it up with no issues. Blender or shaker there is going to be some residue on the bottom, but no big deal really. I had no problems here, which was a nice surprise.

Dosing: There is a lot of flexibility in this product when it comes to dosing. I tried 2 scoops and 4 scoops post workout. I am not necessarily trying to gain weight, so 8 scoops would have just been too much for my daily needs. I only ever took this post workout, so on my rest days I just drank my normal protein powder.

So now we know this tastes amazing, and you can dose it based off your requirements. My biggest concern with mass gainers is that it will make me feel bloated after drinking it and almost lethargic, like you just ate an insanely large thanksgiving meal. The most scoops I used at a time were 4, and thats what I stuck with for most of the run and I never felt bloated at all. Lets break this down by scoop:

2 Scoops Post Workout: This worked okay, and kept me full for around 60-90 minutes. Usually I have a weird gap of time after my workout in the mornings, where I need to get ready for work, then drive to work, and then eat breakfast, so most times a standard Protein shake does not tide me over and I am starving when I get to work. 2 scoops kept me satiated for most of that time, but its about a 2 hour block, so after a few tries here I went to 4 scoops.

4 Scoops Post Workout: This was the sweet spot for me. After drinking this down I would feel full, but not lethargic or bloated. I felt it was that fine line of being full or bloated, so I did not want to try and more higher scoops than this in one sitting. This easily kept me full for 2 - 2 and half hours and I found myself having to force breakfast most days, as I like to stay on a time schedule with eating. The nice part about this dose is if I wanted to cut out some calories, I could easily drink this at 8am and be good to go until Lunch at noon with no issues, so thats another option.

This digested very well for me, I never felt tired or bloated after drinking this and I almost always mixed this with milk. The label claims are Lean Muscle Growth, Improved Digestibility, Healthy Fat Sources, and Multi-Phased Carb Blend. I can easily say these are all true! The lean muscle growth is hard to say 100% as I am always taking a Creatine as well, but I did not lost muscle nor did I gain any fat which is always a big concern when taking a mass gainer at my size. This product really changed the way I view Mass Gainers, I used to think it was too much for me but now I realize this can be a breakfast replacement for me post workout and I can fit this in my daily macros. I did not lose or gain any weight while taking this, I stayed pretty much the same weight throughout but did lose fat along the way, which probably sounds weird while taking a mass gainer. The flexibility of Major Mass is what allows you to be successful whether your goal is to recomp slowly (thats me) or gain some mass. I truly enjoyed this run!

So this is going to vary person to person! The best deal I could find is for 60 scoops at $45.99 from A1 Supplements. That comes out to 77 cents a scoop. So for me, I would take this at 4 scoops only post workout, none on rest days. So this would cost me $3.08, and since I workout 4 days a week it would last me just about a month! So if you look at it that way it seems like its a lot daily, but when your only taking this post workout like I did and realize it does last you the whole month its really not bad at all. For the great ingredients involved, how easily this digested for me, how it kept me full but not bloated, and how amazing this tasted I think this is a decent value.

Side Effects

Nothing at all, not even a bathroom run after 4 scoops, very nice! That is also more proof of the digestibility of this product, with nothing being wasted.

Conclusion

This product completely caught me by surprise. I have tried one other weight gainer lately, and it was okay, but had to fumble around with the abnormally large scooper and never seemed to quite mix as well as Major Mass. I thought the last one was delicious until I tried this, and man the taste truly blows you away. Other reviews below got the other flavors Marshmallow Charms and Ice Cream Sandwich, so I am really tempted to buy myself a tub of the other two in the near future to try them out. I really liked having this in my daily routine on my workout days, it truly worked great to fill that void of post workout and breakfast time frame with my work schedule. This is the third VMI product I have tried and they I am slowly becoming impressed with the brand itself. I am glad I have this opportunity to try them out and will be keeping an eye out for more in the future. Bottom line is if you want to gain some weight, or your like me and looking to get your macro's in a cleaner and easier way then definitely give Major Mass a shot, your taste buds will thank you! This is Highly Approved!
          • Smores: 9/10