L-Carnitine 3000 Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

Overall
Overall
9.3
Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!

Pros:
  • Tasty
  • Fat Reduction
  • Abundant Sweat

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to VMI SPORTS once again for giving me the opportunity to try VMI L-Carnitine 3000 and to SupplementReviews for making this possible. I'm still trying to lose weight and fat a little bit more so I grabbed this product for it to help me with those goals. I believe every ingredient has a different pathway it takes once it's inside the body. For example, if you want energy, you can take stimulant ingredients (caffeine) but also non-stimulant ingredients (Vitamin B's, Citrulline, Creatine, Carnitine, etc). Each of those ingredients work differently, taking different pathways in the body and using different methods but with similar objectives.

Carnitine is one of those ingredients that you will see some people hate it because it doesn't work (according to them) and some people love it. After reading more about glycogen, fat loss, etc, I had an idea of how to use Carnitine. I describe that idea below.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

This product has 3 ingredients:
    L-Carnitine: 1,500mg
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine: 750mg
    L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate: 750mg

From VMI Sports' website: "Carnitine is a substance found in all cells of the body that facilitates the transportation of fatty acids into the mitochondria to be used for energy. In other words, carnitine turns your cells into pure fat-burning machines. L-Carnitine 3000 uses three highly bioavailable forms of L-Carnitine, to maximize effectiveness and skyrocket your metabolism."

These are 3 forms of Carnitine, from the most basic to the "most advanced" one. Carnitine has more benefits than just using fat as a source of energy, for example: Carnitine decreases Ammonia levels. How is that important? "Blood ammonia concentration increases during endurance exercise and has been proposed as a cause for both peripheral and central fatigue." An extract of the study said: "Blood ammonia level was determined before the run and every 30 min during the run. During the control trial, Ammonia increased progressively to approximately 70% above rest concentration." Source of what I quoted: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18059593

There are more benefits regarding Sperm Quality, Symptoms of Intermittent Claudication, Blood Glucose (important when trying to get rid of fat), Exercise-Induced oxidation (important studies here), Fatigue reduction, Lactate production (we must all hate Lactate), Muscle damage, etc. You can check the studies in the "Human Effect Matrix" of L-Carnitine at Examine: https://examine.com/supplements/l-carnitine/

Now that I deeply read about Carnitine, I see it has plenty of benefits, more than just being a non-stimulant fat burner, that's why it's important to read deeply instead of only reading the titles of articles. I'm going to judge it based on:
    1. The claims of the product
    2. The fat burning ability considering it's the most popular expectation.
    3. The energy given.

You can read more about the product here: https://www.vmisports.com/products/l-carnitine-3000

CLAIMS OF THE PRODUCT

*Increased Thermogenesis
    *Improved Athletic Performance
    *Enhanced Fat Loss
    *Continual Use (no need to cycle off)
    *Boost Metabolism
    *Best tasting flavors.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*TASTE: I received Gummy Bear. I thought it would be sweeter but I wasn't disappointed, the taste was pretty good, not so sweet but still good. Other flavors available are: Rainbow Candy, Juicy Stripes, Peach Mango, Cherry Lime, Patriot Pop and Orange Pineapple. The claim of "best tasting flavor" was met here, don't know if they are the best of their category but Gummy Bear is delicious and meets the claim.

*SERVINGS: 31

*MIXABILITY: Liquid form.

*DOSING: Here's the key part of this review. The product says to "Take one serving (1tbsp) preferable on an empty stomach, prior to a meal or prior to exercise." I did an experiment and used it when my weight lifting workout was 75% done. The plan was to make my body use all the glycogen for the weightlifting and the Carnitine to start working once my Glycogen was all/mostly used.

*Why I did it this way? "Glycogen is your body's preferred energy source for exercise, as it's more readily available." So our bodies use glycogen as their main source of energy as it's the most efficient. Of course, it also uses the other methods to get energy but Glycogen is the main preferred source. That being said, I assume that once someone takes any Carnitine supplement, the body won't "suddenly" change the energy source to fat stores and burn them for fuel. I don't think the body works like that, that's why IMO, some people don't get to see any positive results with Carnitine.

Another reason is that some people also take it before meals (like the instruction suggested) but I think that's wrong too or let's just say it's not the best way to take it because your meal will give you Glycogen. So IMO, the best way to take Carnitine and the one that has worked the best for me is to take it once I'm done with 75% of my weightlifting workout and then to start the Cardio. That way, my body will be able to use Carnitine more effectively as the Glycogen is already gone so the body will switch to other energy sources.

EFFECTIVENESS

Considering that I was already out of Glycogen or I've used a lot of it, it was going to be easier to see the energy effects of Carnitine. So did it work? IMO, yes it did. Thermogenesis is an organism's capacity of generating heat due to metabolic reactions. The thermogenesis was clearly felt because of all the abundant sweating but it's not like the stimulant thermogenesis produced by stimulant ingredients. With non-stimulant ingredients like Carnitine, you have to start working out first so you can then feel the effects so you have to give it a bit of time after you already start. Sweat is a signal of thermogenesis as your body is excreting the sweat because your internal body temperature is higher. The difference between taking it and not taking it was very significant. I didn't take this Carnitine everyday which was one of the reasons I took longer to finish this product.

Another aspect I felt a lot was energy. I could run for more minutes than I'm used to and still have lot of energy. I beat my friend in a 2km race (I usually always lose vs him) and of course I didn't give him a second race hahaha! Every time I took this, I was able to workout for a longer time and have clean energy available. Like I said above, the non-stimulant effect requires you to start doing the activity in order to feel the difference. If you just consume it and continue with your normal life, you probably won't feel it, which is why IMO some people say Carnitine doesn't work.

Those both effects allowed the third effect to happen, the "improved athletic performance". It helped with fat? Yes it did, I could notice it because of my pants but the results are going to depend more on your diet and training and not a supplement. Supplements are just a small percentage of the equation and the Carnitine helped in that small percent. It's funny how people want supplements to do 80% of the job when supplements just represent 10% (maybe a bit more if you take more) of the equation. So overall all the claims were met. If I would have taken this everyday, results could have been slightly better IMO but I'm satisfied.

VALUE

I was able to find this product for $19.99 on Amazon, CampusProtein, Coalition Nutrition, Evas Supplements. You can find other Liquid Carnitines with 3g dose a bit cheaper but it's because they only use the basic L-Carnitine. Remember VMI Sports is using 3 forms of L-Carnitine, which is better and obviously more expensive. Each form is also correctly dosed, not the best dose but it's a good dose, it's far from being underdosed so I think it's a good price.

SIDE EFFECTS

None but I would advise not mixing Carnitine with BCAA/Aminos as it can sometimes cause upset stomach, it's better to take it on empty stomach.

CONCLUSION

VMI L-Carnitine 3000 is a very interesting product as it has 3 forms of L-Carnitine. This is something new in the industry as most products if not all, have only the basic L-Carnitine form so good job for VMI. Effectiveness was high, I could notice the effects of Carnitine every time I took it. Taking this supplement along with a stimulant fat burner and having your diet (atleast with moderate calories) and training in check, you're definitely going to reduce weight and fat. You're going to sweat more, have more energy, you will be able to train better and for a longer time. Losing weight and fat is a middle to long term process, not a 30 day process. If it was a 30 day process, we would all be with low fat and great weight. Just remember the elements of the equation I put above and you will get results.
    • Gummy bear: 10/10

• DaSlaya
      August 27, 2018

Interesting. Without the cardio do you think taking this around 75% of your weight training would still do a good job at giving you the same benefits? I have two tubs of Carnitine I have yet to use, but this intrigues me!!

• dmf8625
      August 27, 2018

Just a random question in regards to the effectiveness and glycogen statement, do you believe the reports that say our bodies hold approximately 500g of stored glycogen and do you think most of that gets used up during weightlifting?

• VMISPORTS
      Rep for this Brand
      August 28, 2018

Awesome, in depth review of L-Carnitine 3000, and we're happy to hear that you did your ingredient homework. We're glad you liked it!

• MarsheS
      August 28, 2018

@DaSlaya This Carnitine was in liquid form so it has better and faster absorption than the capsule form. I think Carnitine has a lot of potential as intra-workout if that's what you're asking me. If both of your Carnitines are in liquid form, I would suggest you try one of them the way I did it (Weightlifting and when you reach 75% of completion, you take the Carnitine and complete your workout and just add some 10-15 minute Cardio, nothing long). And the second one, you can try it when you're around the middle of your workout (40-50%) to see how it works that way, just don't mix it with BCAA and don't take any BCAAs intra workout or else there's risk your body is going to use them instead of the Carnitine. That being said, for fat loss results you know you gotta be in a fat loss regime and I assume you're not, you're in a muscle building regime so also, use the Carnitine when you're really in a fat/weight loss regime for fat loss results. If you're going to try the thermogenesis/energy effects, then go for it.

@dmf8625 I haven't read about numbers and that would be very difficult to measure how much glycogen we burn weightlifting. That being said, there are different "feelings" when you're out of glycogen and out of energy, you feel different. Sometimes you can have energy but still feel tired/lazy/heavy. That's when you're out of glycogen or have a very small amount left. I also don't think the body is going to use everything. Our body always saves something, whether it's energy or in this case glycogen, in case of an emergency. There's "available energy" and there's energy that's not available to use for us, that's why sometimes you feel you have energy but that you can't use it (some preworkouts give you this feeling sometimes). An example of an energy that is not available to use is "Adrenaline". That Adrenaline or "energy" (I'll call it energy) will only be activated when the context is adequate, when the adequate moment comes. When is that adequate moment? For example, you're benching 225 pounds. Let's say you hardly reached 9 reps and you want to do 10, there's nobody behind you to help, you're alone, nobody can help. And when you start the 10th rep, you can't get the weight up. The momentum is gone, if you put the bar on your chest or your ab it will be a pain to get that weight up from those areas. So your only and best option is to get that f*****g weight up. That's where Adrenaline comes, the "emergency energy" your body has in cases like this. I lift at home and sometimes alone so I've felt this several times. It's an energy you didn't know you had! But that it came when you needed it the most! But anyways, this was just to explain that the body always saves something. To answer you directly, I believe most of the GLYCOGEN AVAILABLE TO USE gets used during a weightlifting session (of course it's going to depend on your routine lol). My routines are 2hrs long with high amount of sets, moderate reps, compound movements/supersets, etc. So I don't have doubts I use all or most of the glycogen available to use.

@VMISPORTS Thanks for the comments and thanks for reading my review. Good job with the product. You're an interesting brand, you just need to fix certain products ;) *cough* K-XR *cough* and others lol.