L-Carnitine 1500 Heat POWDER Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

Overall
Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!
  December 31, 2018

• Low % Of Active Ingredients
  • Incorrect Scoop Size
  • Missing Servings

From the brand:

L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT uses a combination of two different Carnitine supplements to help ignite your metabolism, enhance calorie burning, and accelerate fat loss without the use of any stimulants whatsoever.

750mg Acetyl L-Carnitine 750mg L-Carnitine L-Tartrate

INCREASED FAT BURNING
Carnitine enhances your body's ability to burn fat for fuel, potentially transforming you into a pure fat burning machine.

IMPROVED BODY COMPOSITION
The combination of proven fat loss agents in L-Carnitine, Grains of Paradise, Green Tea, and Gamma-Butyrobetaine (GBB) can provide rapid results leading to superior body composition.

ENHANCED PERFORMANCE
Carnitine allows your body the ability to burn fat for energy while training, allowing you to last longer during your workouts, for increased calorie burning and performance.

NON-STOP USE
L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT contains no stimulants whatsoever, meaning there's no tolerance build up and you never a need to cycle on and off.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to VMI Sports for their continued participation here on SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to try and review many of the products they offer. Today I am going to speak about a product that I have used in liquid form but is now also manufactured in a powdered version from VMI and that is their L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT. I had a good run with the liquid version, so trying the powdered form was a no brainer for me. When I used the liquid version, my main focus was to see how this would perform in terms of weight loss. I had a different purpose for the powdered version though, which I will explain in the effectiveness section.

This product thankfully has a fully disclosed label for the active ingredients. The 1500 in the name is in reference to the 1500 milligrams of carnitine included in each serving. That amount is split evenly between two forms consisting of L-Carnitine L-Tartrate and Acetyl L-Carnitine (750mg each). On the VMI webpage of this supplement, there is an FAQ which includes the question "What is Carnitine?" Their answer is: "Carnitine is a substance naturally produced by the body that's found in all cells. It can improve the body's ability to metabolize fat for energy, thus transforming you into a true, blue fat-burning machine. L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT uses two highly bioavailable forms of L-Carnitine (Acetyl L-Carnitine & L-Carnitine L-Tartrate), for maximum effectiveness to help promote weight loss."

Acetyl L-Carnitine or ALCAR (750mg) is thought to be the most bioavailable form of L-Carnitine. Unlike other forms which typically help convert stored fat to energy, ALCAR readily crosses the blood-brain barrier & acts within the brain itself. Its primary actions are related to cognitive function.

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate or LCLT (750mg) is Carnitine bonded to Tartaric Acid. It's rapidly absorbed by the body, making it ideal to include as part of a pre-workout. Can also aid in physical performance, potentially reduce muscle soreness & aid in post-workout fat oxidation.

Next we have Green Tea Leaf Extract (50mg). Green Tea contains a combination of vitamins, minerals, and caffeine. Most of Green Tea's health benefits can be attributed to active ingredients known as polyphenols and catechins - plant compounds with strong antioxidant activity. The most potent of these polyphenols is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)-the compound most responsible for green tea's reputation as a fat burner. Green Tea has been shown to improve metabolic rate and increase the body's heat production and fat oxidation.

Next is the Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester Chloride (25mg). I was a little disappointed to see this wasn't the registered/trademarked version GBBGO. In terms of this ingredient's purpose, "A precursor to L-Carnitine, GBB may naturally increase the production of L-Carnitine by your body. Increasing natural L-Carnitine not only aids in fat burning but also has the potential to enhance exercise performance and recovery!" It has also been called "Super Carnitine" because of its ability to increase carnitine production by up to 300%!"

Next we have the Grains of Paradise Seed Extract (Aframum Melegueta) (Paradoxine)(15mg). Props to VMI for using the registered Paradoxine version of this ingredient. This is a spice belonging to the ginger family that stimulates brown adipose tissue, boosting metabolism and increasing thermogenesis while decreasing visceral fat in the lower abdomen. From the ingredient's website: How do Paradoxinework? >> In humans, there are two types of adipose tissue, WAT (white adipose tissues) and BAT (brown adipose tissues). WAT is the sites of energy storage, while BAT is responsible for cold-and diet-induced thermogenesis, which helps to control body-energy expenditure, as well as body fat content. Paradise extract (especially including 12.5% 6-paradol) was found to promote WAT transformation into BAT. (http://www.paradoxine.com/index.php)

Lastly, we have BioPerine(2.5mg). This ingredient is included in multiple supplements because of its ability to increase nutrient absorption. From the BioPerine website: "A thermonutrient such as BioPerine would potentially improve the process of nutrient absorption by enhancing thermogenesis.
The leading theory of food-induced thermogenesis relates to the autonomous nervous system. The autonomous nervous system is represented by two main receptors in the gastrointestinal tract, the alpha and beta adrenergic receptors." If you would like more information about this specific ingredient, you can see the research on their website at https://www.bioperine.com/.

As I mentioned in the liquid version review, the ingredient profile on paper would best be described as average in my opinion. I wish the green tea extract, the Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester Chloride and the Grains of Paradise Seed Extract were dosed a little higher in each serving. I also have the same concern from the liquid version when it comes to the percentage of active ingredients per serving. Each serving is 2.9g (2900mg) but the active ingredients only take up just over 1500mg of that. The rest is in the flavoring and other ingredients.

Taste>> I received the rainbow candy (aka Skittles) flavor and loved it. VMI was even able to eliminate the spicy aftertaste that was present in the liquid version. The smell and flavor is very close to their goal of Skittles. With almost 50% of each serving being non-active ingredients, I would have been disappointed if this flavor missed the mark. I first started at the high end of the recommendation with ten ounces of water and the flavor was good but weak. As expected when I reduced the amount of water used, the flavor got stronger and I enjoyed it more. My ideal outcome was one serving with six ounces of water.

Mixability >> No issues here. At less than 3g per serving with almost 50% non-active ingredients, I didn't expect any problems with this product. I only used a shaker bottle when drinking this but could not foresee an issue if someone decided to mix this in a glass with a spoon.

Dosing >> This is where one issue with this product presented itself. Each full scoop is supposed to be equal to one serving of this product (approximately three grams). Just out of habit, I will typically measure the scoops of new supplements that I received. For this product, one full scoop measured out to be six grams (double the stated serving size). I contacted the SR rep for VMI and brought this to their attention. This led to me speaking with the President of VMI Sports (Tom) over the phone and sharing my findings. During that phone call, Tom stated that they are aware of the discrepancy and that it was a production mistake to include a scoop that is too big. He also stated that once the problem was found, all the tubs have been removed from the site and it will not be available until the problem is fixed.

Outside of those issues, the dosing is pretty flexible for this product. You can use in the morning, afternoon or early evening. It can be used before cardio, before weight training or any other physical activity. I would not suggest taking it too late into the evening because you probably don't want to be sweating in bed while trying to fall asleep. I personally used a combination of one and two servings during my time with this product.

My goal for the effectiveness of this supplement was a little different than when I used and reviewed the liquid version of this product. During the liquid use, I had the goal of being in a caloric deficit and losing body. This time, I was not as concerned about body fat loss as before, mainly because this product was used during the holiday season. I did not expect to be in a caloric deficit during this time and had no intention on losing body fat.

What I did use this product for was helping my body warm up faster as the temperatures in my area dropped due to winter arriving. This is where the HEAT in the name lived up to its promise and provided me the effectiveness I was looking for. By being able to warm up faster before my training sessions, I was able to move into my heavier lifts quicker than before when I wasn't using this product. This allowed me workouts to be more intense because I wasn't spending the extra time with lighter weights to get my body warm and avoid inquiry. The extra carnitine was always nice to have as well and may have provided me with some extra stamina and endurance during my training sessions.

When this product comes back in stock, purchasing a tub directly from the VMI Sports website will cost you $22.99. CampusProtein now shows this product in stock and available for purchase while the VMI site is still out of stock. Not sure if the CampusProtein version is the one with corrected scooper or not. The current price from them is $23.99 but there is currently a 15% discount available for this item.

In the big picture of training and supplementation, a product like L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT is likely going to be a third tier supplement for most people. First tier would be products like a protein powder and pre-workout. Second tier may be an amino acid product and something like a fish oil or multi vitamin. Once you have all those supplements taken care of and if there's still some money left in your budget to spend, a fat burning/cardio supplement like this would be a good option.

An individual situation I can see that changing is if you know you're deficient in carnitine because of your food choices. At that point, you will have to decide if you want a lower dosed carnitine product with the added extras like this or a higher dosed pure carnitine supplement like VMI Sports Carnitine 3000.

Side Effects

There were no negative side effects that I experienced with this product. As noted and expected, you will probably sweat A LOT after taking this and doing some type of physical activity. Just be aware of that if you work out in a public gym and are self-conscious about how others may look or perceive you when you are sweating up a storm. Also, please be sure to have a towel handy so you can wipe down the machines and benches after using them as a courtesy to others. No one wants to wallow is your sweat puddles while trying to work out.

The warning from the brand is: For Use as a Dietary Supplement Only By Healthy Adults of the Age of 18 and Over. Do Not Use This Product If You Are Pregnant, Nursing, Or May Become Pregnant. Do Not Consume If You Have A Pre-Existing Medical Condition, Or You Are Taking Any Prescription Medication. Please Consult A Physician Prior To Use. Do Not Use If Safety Seal Is Broken. Use Only As Directed. Do Not Exceed Recommended Use. Store in a Cool, Dry Place (60'F to 80'F).

Conclusion

To wrap things up, I enjoyed my time with this product and like the powdered version a little bit more than the liquid version. In terms of taste, the flavor I had was spot-on and even did not have the spicy after-taste as the liquid one did. For the purpose that I was using it for, it performed excellently. I did lower the rankings in some areas because of the manufacturing and quality control issues that I experienced with the incorrect scoop size and missing some servings in my tub. For those looking to get warm quickly before your cardio and/or weight training sessions, this is definitely a supplement I would recommend looking into.

Once again, thank you to VMI Sports for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me plus another thumbs up to the owner Tom for willing to take the time to acknowledge my concerns with this product and speak with me over the phone about them. Shows me they really care about their products and the consumer when something is not as it should be.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Rainbow Candy: 10/10