L-Carnitine 1500 Heat POWDER Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

L-Carnitine 1500 Heat POWDER is a Thermogenic Weight Loss Product manufactured by VMI Sports®. It increases the body's temperature and raises metabolism, helping to burn more calories and assist with fat loss.

January 18, 2019

• Increased Thermogenesis
  • Ingredient Amounts Are Fully Listed
  • Makes A Good Sweat
  • Low % Of Active Ingredients

An energy/thermogenic aid to help with weight loss.

Well SR, this is my last TROOPS review I needed to get out, and with other reviews not being allowed at the moment and the direction of the site changing, it could be last. With over 200 reviews, I've truly enjoyed participating and learning so much from you all. That being said, here is my review for VMI's thermogenic L-Carnitine 1500 Heat Powder. I'm a big fan of carnitine supplements as they are relatively cheap, and help with energy and metabolism. This product is a carnitine supplement but with some added thermogenics to help with weight loss, so I was eager to give it a try.

To be honest, I wasn't blown away with the ingredient profile of this in comparison to it's normal carnitine product. This has a good amount of carnitine at 1500 mg coming from equal doses of ALCAR and Tartate, and then some extras. The extras consist of ingredients that are used to increase thermogensis, thus the heat. We have green tea, grains of paradise, and GBB. Pretty solid doses, but they seem a underdosed. For example, 50 mg of green tea is not a big dose any way you look at it. I've also had hit or miss experiences with grains of paradise, and usually at the 40 mg mark, so at 15 mg it seems light as well. I do like carnitine products though and was interested in this product.

I very rarely took this straight with the rainbow candy flavor, but it wasn't bad. The sweet helped balance the spice. It was very enjoyable and an aid to the preworkout/amino drinks I added it to though. Mixability was great alone or with another product. For the most part, I added to my preworkout or intra amino for dosing.

Is this a great standalone fat burner? No. Preworkout? No. I really did enjoy this product however as I felt better when taking this, and when I added it to my preworkout or intra amino product I felt the effects a lot. The energy was stronger, more consistent, and I did feel the "heat." The sweating was much more profuse and longer lasting. Usually the heat from a thermogenic dies down quickly after working out for me, but the sweat and sensation lasted for quite awhile after I got done at the gym. This really enhances the energy and focus of your preworkout and my workouts definitely improved while taking this. Although skeptical of the heat inducing ingredients, they definitely worked so maybe the powdered version of those ingredients helped in a synergistic way. Overall, this product worked very well for me and enhanced my workouts other supplements.

At $22 for 30 servings, this is expensive as an add on but really did do a great job so I would buy again at this price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're in the market for a carnitine supplement with some fat burning extras, I would give this a look.

December 31, 2018

• Low % Of Active Ingredients
  • Incorrect Scoop Size
  • Missing Servings

From the brand:

L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT uses a combination of two different Carnitine supplements to help ignite your metabolism, enhance calorie burning, and accelerate fat loss without the use of any stimulants whatsoever.

750mg Acetyl L-Carnitine 750mg L-Carnitine L-Tartrate

INCREASED FAT BURNING
Carnitine enhances your body's ability to burn fat for fuel, potentially transforming you into a pure fat burning machine.

IMPROVED BODY COMPOSITION
The combination of proven fat loss agents in L-Carnitine, Grains of Paradise, Green Tea, and Gamma-Butyrobetaine (GBB) can provide rapid results leading to superior body composition.

ENHANCED PERFORMANCE
Carnitine allows your body the ability to burn fat for energy while training, allowing you to last longer during your workouts, for increased calorie burning and performance.

NON-STOP USE
L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT contains no stimulants whatsoever, meaning there's no tolerance build up and you never a need to cycle on and off.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to VMI Sports for their continued participation here on SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to try and review many of the products they offer. Today I am going to speak about a product that I have used in liquid form but is now also manufactured in a powdered version from VMI and that is their L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT. I had a good run with the liquid version, so trying the powdered form was a no brainer for me. When I used the liquid version, my main focus was to see how this would perform in terms of weight loss. I had a different purpose for the powdered version though, which I will explain in the effectiveness section.

This product thankfully has a fully disclosed label for the active ingredients. The 1500 in the name is in reference to the 1500 milligrams of carnitine included in each serving. That amount is split evenly between two forms consisting of L-Carnitine L-Tartrate and Acetyl L-Carnitine (750mg each). On the VMI webpage of this supplement, there is an FAQ which includes the question "What is Carnitine?" Their answer is: "Carnitine is a substance naturally produced by the body that's found in all cells. It can improve the body's ability to metabolize fat for energy, thus transforming you into a true, blue fat-burning machine. L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT uses two highly bioavailable forms of L-Carnitine (Acetyl L-Carnitine & L-Carnitine L-Tartrate), for maximum effectiveness to help promote weight loss."

Acetyl L-Carnitine or ALCAR (750mg) is thought to be the most bioavailable form of L-Carnitine. Unlike other forms which typically help convert stored fat to energy, ALCAR readily crosses the blood-brain barrier & acts within the brain itself. Its primary actions are related to cognitive function.

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate or LCLT (750mg) is Carnitine bonded to Tartaric Acid. It's rapidly absorbed by the body, making it ideal to include as part of a pre-workout. Can also aid in physical performance, potentially reduce muscle soreness & aid in post-workout fat oxidation.

Next we have Green Tea Leaf Extract (50mg). Green Tea contains a combination of vitamins, minerals, and caffeine. Most of Green Tea's health benefits can be attributed to active ingredients known as polyphenols and catechins - plant compounds with strong antioxidant activity. The most potent of these polyphenols is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)-the compound most responsible for green tea's reputation as a fat burner. Green Tea has been shown to improve metabolic rate and increase the body's heat production and fat oxidation.

Next is the Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester Chloride (25mg). I was a little disappointed to see this wasn't the registered/trademarked version GBBGO. In terms of this ingredient's purpose, "A precursor to L-Carnitine, GBB may naturally increase the production of L-Carnitine by your body. Increasing natural L-Carnitine not only aids in fat burning but also has the potential to enhance exercise performance and recovery!" It has also been called "Super Carnitine" because of its ability to increase carnitine production by up to 300%!"

Next we have the Grains of Paradise Seed Extract (Aframum Melegueta) (Paradoxine)(15mg). Props to VMI for using the registered Paradoxine version of this ingredient. This is a spice belonging to the ginger family that stimulates brown adipose tissue, boosting metabolism and increasing thermogenesis while decreasing visceral fat in the lower abdomen. From the ingredient's website: How do Paradoxinework? >> In humans, there are two types of adipose tissue, WAT (white adipose tissues) and BAT (brown adipose tissues). WAT is the sites of energy storage, while BAT is responsible for cold-and diet-induced thermogenesis, which helps to control body-energy expenditure, as well as body fat content. Paradise extract (especially including 12.5% 6-paradol) was found to promote WAT transformation into BAT. (http://www.paradoxine.com/index.php)

Lastly, we have BioPerine(2.5mg). This ingredient is included in multiple supplements because of its ability to increase nutrient absorption. From the BioPerine website: "A thermonutrient such as BioPerine would potentially improve the process of nutrient absorption by enhancing thermogenesis.
The leading theory of food-induced thermogenesis relates to the autonomous nervous system. The autonomous nervous system is represented by two main receptors in the gastrointestinal tract, the alpha and beta adrenergic receptors." If you would like more information about this specific ingredient, you can see the research on their website at https://www.bioperine.com/.

As I mentioned in the liquid version review, the ingredient profile on paper would best be described as average in my opinion. I wish the green tea extract, the Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester Chloride and the Grains of Paradise Seed Extract were dosed a little higher in each serving. I also have the same concern from the liquid version when it comes to the percentage of active ingredients per serving. Each serving is 2.9g (2900mg) but the active ingredients only take up just over 1500mg of that. The rest is in the flavoring and other ingredients.

Taste>> I received the rainbow candy (aka Skittles) flavor and loved it. VMI was even able to eliminate the spicy aftertaste that was present in the liquid version. The smell and flavor is very close to their goal of Skittles. With almost 50% of each serving being non-active ingredients, I would have been disappointed if this flavor missed the mark. I first started at the high end of the recommendation with ten ounces of water and the flavor was good but weak. As expected when I reduced the amount of water used, the flavor got stronger and I enjoyed it more. My ideal outcome was one serving with six ounces of water.

Mixability >> No issues here. At less than 3g per serving with almost 50% non-active ingredients, I didn't expect any problems with this product. I only used a shaker bottle when drinking this but could not foresee an issue if someone decided to mix this in a glass with a spoon.

Dosing >> This is where one issue with this product presented itself. Each full scoop is supposed to be equal to one serving of this product (approximately three grams). Just out of habit, I will typically measure the scoops of new supplements that I received. For this product, one full scoop measured out to be six grams (double the stated serving size). I contacted the SR rep for VMI and brought this to their attention. This led to me speaking with the President of VMI Sports (Tom) over the phone and sharing my findings. During that phone call, Tom stated that they are aware of the discrepancy and that it was a production mistake to include a scoop that is too big. He also stated that once the problem was found, all the tubs have been removed from the site and it will not be available until the problem is fixed.

Outside of those issues, the dosing is pretty flexible for this product. You can use in the morning, afternoon or early evening. It can be used before cardio, before weight training or any other physical activity. I would not suggest taking it too late into the evening because you probably don't want to be sweating in bed while trying to fall asleep. I personally used a combination of one and two servings during my time with this product.

My goal for the effectiveness of this supplement was a little different than when I used and reviewed the liquid version of this product. During the liquid use, I had the goal of being in a caloric deficit and losing body. This time, I was not as concerned about body fat loss as before, mainly because this product was used during the holiday season. I did not expect to be in a caloric deficit during this time and had no intention on losing body fat.

What I did use this product for was helping my body warm up faster as the temperatures in my area dropped due to winter arriving. This is where the HEAT in the name lived up to its promise and provided me the effectiveness I was looking for. By being able to warm up faster before my training sessions, I was able to move into my heavier lifts quicker than before when I wasn't using this product. This allowed me workouts to be more intense because I wasn't spending the extra time with lighter weights to get my body warm and avoid inquiry. The extra carnitine was always nice to have as well and may have provided me with some extra stamina and endurance during my training sessions.

When this product comes back in stock, purchasing a tub directly from the VMI Sports website will cost you $22.99. CampusProtein now shows this product in stock and available for purchase while the VMI site is still out of stock. Not sure if the CampusProtein version is the one with corrected scooper or not. The current price from them is $23.99 but there is currently a 15% discount available for this item.

In the big picture of training and supplementation, a product like L-Carnitine 1500 HEAT is likely going to be a third tier supplement for most people. First tier would be products like a protein powder and pre-workout. Second tier may be an amino acid product and something like a fish oil or multi vitamin. Once you have all those supplements taken care of and if there's still some money left in your budget to spend, a fat burning/cardio supplement like this would be a good option.

An individual situation I can see that changing is if you know you're deficient in carnitine because of your food choices. At that point, you will have to decide if you want a lower dosed carnitine product with the added extras like this or a higher dosed pure carnitine supplement like VMI Sports Carnitine 3000.

Side Effects

There were no negative side effects that I experienced with this product. As noted and expected, you will probably sweat A LOT after taking this and doing some type of physical activity. Just be aware of that if you work out in a public gym and are self-conscious about how others may look or perceive you when you are sweating up a storm. Also, please be sure to have a towel handy so you can wipe down the machines and benches after using them as a courtesy to others. No one wants to wallow is your sweat puddles while trying to work out.

The warning from the brand is: For Use as a Dietary Supplement Only By Healthy Adults of the Age of 18 and Over. Do Not Use This Product If You Are Pregnant, Nursing, Or May Become Pregnant. Do Not Consume If You Have A Pre-Existing Medical Condition, Or You Are Taking Any Prescription Medication. Please Consult A Physician Prior To Use. Do Not Use If Safety Seal Is Broken. Use Only As Directed. Do Not Exceed Recommended Use. Store in a Cool, Dry Place (60'F to 80'F).

Conclusion

To wrap things up, I enjoyed my time with this product and like the powdered version a little bit more than the liquid version. In terms of taste, the flavor I had was spot-on and even did not have the spicy after-taste as the liquid one did. For the purpose that I was using it for, it performed excellently. I did lower the rankings in some areas because of the manufacturing and quality control issues that I experienced with the incorrect scoop size and missing some servings in my tub. For those looking to get warm quickly before your cardio and/or weight training sessions, this is definitely a supplement I would recommend looking into.

Once again, thank you to VMI Sports for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me plus another thumbs up to the owner Tom for willing to take the time to acknowledge my concerns with this product and speak with me over the phone about them. Shows me they really care about their products and the consumer when something is not as it should be.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Rainbow Candy: 10/10

December 31, 2018

• Ingredient Amounts Are Fully Listed
  • Burns Fat
  • Increased Thermogenesis
  • Cherry Lime Flavor Is Awesome
  • Some Ingredients Could Be Dosed Higher

A more convenient version of VMI's Liquid 1500 Heat

I tried the liquid version of this a few months ago. It worked well, but there was no way of knowing exactly how much you were getting unless you had your own measuring device. VMI fixed the problem with the powdered version.

Kudos to VMI for giving a fully disclosed ingredient profile; NO PROP BLENDS!

Acetyl L-Carnitine 750mg Acetyl L-Carnitine helps transport lipids and fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria. This helps to stimulate the process of fat breakdown within the cells.
L-Carnitine 750 mg L-carnitine is a naturally occurring amino acid biosynthesized from lysine and methionine. New research suggests that carnitine may play a role in a great number of positive physical outcomes of interest to athletes, including fat burning, muscle recovery, testosterone support, and more. Higher daily doses of carnitine in the 2-3 gram range for more than a week could lead to enhanced oxidation of fat at rest and during exercise. However, this dosage can also lead to gastrointestinal issues such as nausea, gas, and diarrhea.
Green Tea Leaf Extract 50mg Shown to assist in weight loss by regulating the hormones that can enhance thermogenesis
Gamma Butyrobetaine ethyl ester Chloride 25mg A laboratory-made compound that has been found to enhance the natural production of L-carnitine in humans.
Grains Of Paradise extract 15mg An herb that activates the brown adipose tissue, which causes fat to burn, consequently leading to weight loss in rats. This also acts as a pretty potent thermogenic catalyst.
BioPerine 2.5mg Helps with nutrient absorption

This is a pretty solid ingredient profile, although I think that the green tea extract could have been dosed a little higher. Additionally, the L-Carnitine/ALCAR combo could have been slightly higher (maybe 1 gram each), but I think it was sufficient enough.

I opted for the peach mango flavor. The taste was how (in my opinion) a 5 Hour Energy drink is supposed to taste. I tasted a subtle peachy, peppery flavor; nothing really offensive, but nothing to cause a taste buds celebration either. I'm also running another container, just so I can see how it will work over a two month span. I purchased the cherry lime flavor, and it really hits the flavor mark, with the right amount of tartness and a hint of sweetness. I highly recommend this flavor, although it comes in quite a few other flavors. Mixability was tricky. In cold/room temperature water, it took a while for the powder to dissolve, so I had to stir it for about two minutes. In warm water, the powder dissolved more easily, and stirring took maybe 10-15 seconds. Each container contains 30 servings, and the recommended dosage is one serving (1 scoop) daily, preferably prior to a meal or a workout.

Unlike its liquid counterpart L-Carnitine 1500 Heat comes with a measuring tool (a small scoop), so there's no guesswork as to whether or not the proper amount is being consumed.

From a thermogenesis standpoint, I could definitely feel this product working. I sweated more than normal during workouts, and even at rest, I felt warmer than usual. I attribute this to the added Grains of Paradise. VMI uses the Paradoxine branded extract, and I can see why this ingredient is popping up in many of the newer fat burners. This combined with capsicum extract can form a potent thermogenic combination.

I lost about a pound and a half while taking this. I was expecting this because I lost about 2 pounds when I took the liquid version. It really helped me tighten up my waist and midsection; I definitely looked leaner.

Campusprotein.com sells this for about 24 bucks, which I'd say represents a pretty fair value.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Based on the success I had with the liquid version of this, I was expecting to see results and I did. L-Carnitine 1500 Heat isn't one of those "super" supplements that develops a cult following. It quietly and efficiently does what it's supposed to do.
  • Peach Mango: 7/10
  • Cherry Lime: 8/10

December 21, 2018

• Too Sweet

A powdered L-Carnitine product with ingredients added to give some thermogenic properties. Minor effects were had, but you can find this for such a cheap price point it may be worth a shot at least once.

39 years old and I lift 5 days a week. I have become a fan of most VMI supplements and am glad I got to expand my horizons on this site. When I saw the opportunity to try their new L-Carnitine 1500 Heat formula, I had to give it a shot as I had just finished a standard L-Carnitine product recently. Big thank you to the OLD SR and VMI for making this review possible.

Fully disclosed ingredient label which is always appreciated. At my age I typically like to know exactly what I am putting into my body.

The main ingredients here are 750mg Acetyl L-Carnitine HCI and 750mg L-Carnitine L-Tartrate. That nets you 1500mg Carnitine. I like the combination of two types of Carnitine here.

Next we have 50mg Green Tea Leaf Extract, 25mg Gamma Butlrobetaine HCI, 15mg Paradoxine (Grains of Paradise Extract), and 2.5mg Bioperine (Black pepper).

Not a bad list of ingredients, nothing in here that would scream out filler ingredient to me.

Taste: I had requested and received the Rainbow Candy flavor because it just sounded amazing to me. Well, it turned out it was wayyyyyyyyyy to sweet for my liking. I normally do not eat or care for sweets, so I didn't enjoy taking this at all. The sweetness bugged my stomach for a few minutes afterwards, but that is on me. It was no undrinkable by any means just a bit too sweet.

Mixability: No issues here, just mix it up in 8-10oz of water in a shaker and you are good to go. Nothing settles to the bottom and no grit is left behind or anything like that.

Dosing: I dosed this as per the directions which is one scoop with 8-10oz of water before a workout or first meal of the day. On training days I would take this 30 minutes prior to lifting and upon waking up on rest days.

Since I had recently tried out a liquid form of L-Carnitine and saw some results, I was thinking the combination of heat elements would make this an interesting product. Unfortunately, I never felt any sort of thermogenic properties at all. No increased sweat, nothing. My weight and body fat really did not change at all while on this, and I was eating fairly well. Typically I would expect some fat loss here, but nothing. I stick with a MEH rating on this because I did not gain any weight or fat, so I do believe this had some effect albeit very minor. Perhaps if I dosed this twice a day things would have been different but I just could not get over the too sweet of a taste to even try it.

You can grab this from Best Price Nutrition for $16.65 for 30 servings. This is around 56 cents a serving which would be an incredible deal if it had some effect for me. As I couple effectiveness in with value, I say it is average.

Side Effects

Minor stomach ache for a few minutes after taking this due to sweet flavor.

Conclusion

Overall this had minor effects if any for me. If I had a better flavor I would try to run this twice a day, but maybe the absorption is the issue compared to a standard Liquid L-Carnitine. Either way you can find this at such a cheap price point it may be worth running to see if it works for you if you are in the market for an L-Carnitine product with a unique twist.

On a separate note it appears this is my last review here on SR for the time being. Thank you for reading my reviews for the last couple of years, it has been fun!!
  • Rainbow Candy: 1/10