KETOGENIC PRE-WORKOUT Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

KETOGENIC PRE-WORKOUT is a Pre-Workout manufactured by VMI Sports®. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
6.8
Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!
  January 18, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Tastes Good
  • Hydration
  • Reduces Cravings
  • Focus
  • Expensive Ingredients
  • Few Servings

A keto aid for hydration, focus, energy.

Hey SR, here today to do a review for VMI's Ketogenic Preworkout. I have been doing keto/carb nite, intermittent fasting for awhile now and do enjoy the lifestyle. I reviewed the stim free version of this product as well and this review will be very similar, as this product is similar except for one ingredient. Having used the other product, I did look for this to help me get into ketosis a little quicker, see a little more average fat loss, but mainly help in the areas of cravings, focus, and energy that can sometimes pop up as problems when doing keto with a little help from the added caffeine from it's stim free version. It was exactly what I expected.

So as I said, this has the exact some ingredient profile as it's stim free partner but with 100 mg of caffeine from coffee beans. The main ingredient of this product is the 7.2 grams of goBHB salts, which are supposed to help your body switch into ketosis and start burning fat for energy. When going into ketosis though, many people experience some side effects of a lack of energy, focus, and cravings. To address those needs, VMI has chelated minerals for hydration, Tyrosine, and Alpha GPC. These types of products are pretty new to the market, but compared to others this has a great profile with some trademarked ingredients. The 100 mg of caffeine is a nice amount and added to the other ingredients should provide a nice little boost, but to market it as a preworkout is a bit of a stretch. Overall, for this type of product and goals it's a good profile.

Mixability was great, I took this in the morning as a preworkout sometimes but also sometimes in the afternoon as a pick me up. The taste of pink lemonade was pretty light, more sour than sweet which I like. I would take this 2 days after a cheat night as with the price it wouldn't be effective as it takes awhile for your body to near ketosis anyways.

So, with the exact same profile as the stim free version but with a 100 mg of caffeine, I expected that this would work exactly the same but with a little more of a boost. It did. This does really help with hydration which is nice, and this product does do a nice job of helping with an energy boost and reducing cravings. To be honest, I did not enjoy this as a preworkout, it was much more effective as an afternoon pick me up as the day started to drag and you get a little hungrier. Did it get me into a much deeper state of ketosis and the weight just flew off? No, but it made keto easier, helped with some side effects, and I did feel better while taking this. However, I still view it as a niche/luxury supplement as it's very expensive and has few servings.

This is a little more expensive than the stim free version at $50 rather than the $45. This also has 20 servings. With the Carb Nite protocol this lasted over a month, but this is still super expensive for an add on supplement. If you could truly use this as a preworkout, than it helps the value but it didn't really work like that for me. This definitely works for keto sides and helps, but I couldn't buy this on a regular basis for this price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If truly understand how keto works and need help with the sides and need an aid, this works, but you have to pay a price.

Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!
  December 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Helps Induce Ketosis
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Very Mild Preworkout
  • Expensive Ingredients
  • Mainly For Keto-Diet Individuals

With the new diet craze of going Keto to turbo boost fat burning it isn't surprising that research and development has found ways to help jump-start that ketosis transition and currently there is no better or more effective way than by utilizing BHB salts! Though they are effective, they come at a high price so I would have to issue a warning to anyone that's not keto diet focused to look elsewhere to keep you from spending quite a bit of needless cash on these products, BUT for anyone that is using a Keto diet then by all means give it a try to help boost your body's ketone levels and catalyze that change into ketosis! VMI has created a product that can also be used as a preworkout though I would have to say it's an extremely mild preworkout with only a low dose of caffeine and Alpha GPC to warrant it being called a pre-workout at that. So if you're into keto and have a low tolerance to stimulant preworkouts or just need a little extra boost in the gym then Ketogenic Pre-Workout may just be right up your alley!

BHB salts are slowly starting to gain ground in the supplement market though due to their overall high price point and niche consumer market they aren't quite out in the open just yet. VMI is definitely trying to change that with the inclusion of two new products that are focused on BHB salts, one non-stim and one stim product, which is the item that I will be reviewing called Ketogenic Pre-Workout. BHB salts have always intrigued me and the thought of burning some extra fat throughout the day is pretty enticing for just about anyone so I had to give it a try! Let's see how it stacks up!

I've included a picture of the ingredient label below if you would like to know the overall profile but I'd like to take a moment to touch on a few worthy of notes characteristics of the label. First of all, there are a bunch of seemingly normal minerals in this product but they all have TRAACS at the end. Following a bit of online research I found that a certain company (Albion International) patented the creation of certain minerals in a specific way to vastly improve overall absorption. So if you're wondering what in the world it means, it's just a patented manufacturing model kind of like Creapure creatine though the jury is probably still out on an unbiased study on how much "better" the product is. The other ingredients are goBHB, that are composed of calcium, sodium and magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate which are all BHB salts and the key ingredient of this product! These ingredients are supposed to provide ketones for our body which is the whole premise of going into ketosis to help speed up the process compared to just zeroing out carbs and going high fat/protein. Extra kudos to VMI for making a fully disclosed ingredient label! There is also the inclusion of Alpha GPC, a nootropic supplement that helps with focus and 100mg of caffeine that are probably the culprits of even calling this product a "pre-workout" which is kind of ridiculous if you compare it to today's preworkout standards.

I had the pleasure of testing out their Pink Lemonade flavor which is fairly well done with a strong citrus-y flavor with no overly off flavoring that I thought I might get from the inclusion of the BHB salts. It mixes extremely well with the recommended water volume (8-16oz) with no significant bottom of the bottle residue or frothing. It's dosed with a fairly standard sized pre-workout scooper which can be finagled into working with any water bottle you choose. Overall this product scores well in this category.

Since I personally have a fairly high stimulant pre-workout preference I decided to just slightly underdose my usual preworkout with the addition of this product on top just before the start of my workouts. I can't say that I notice much from this product other than the mild stimulant effect from the 100mg of caffeine during my lift. I did have some left over ketone strips within my house that I was able to use to check from any increase in ketone bodies to tell if my body was switching into ketosis and there were significant increases on days that I used Ketogenic Pre-workout in comparison to not using it, meaning there were definitely increased ketones in my urine following ingestion, which is not surprising since that is exactly what the product is supposed to be doing in the first place. It's also worth noting that I tried to keep my diet fair ketogenic while on this product with around a 10-15% of daily calories coming from carbohydrates. Overall I think this product can definitely benefit a fitness fanatic but I'd have to specifically recommend it only for individuals that utilize a daily keto diet and/or have difficulty maintaining keto.

I looked online and found Ketogenic Pre-Workout for a whooping $50 for 20 servings but to be completely honest that is a somewhat reasonable price considering what you're buying. A lot of the reviews online bash BHB salt products for being so expensive but honestly what do you expect if the ingredient itself is expensive to create! There are better deals online for BHB Salts Grams/price ratio but this product is within an acceptable price range.

Side Effects

None... possibly a thinner wallet? haha

Conclusion

Going keto sounds great for everyone but rest assured that not everyone is capable of maintaining this diet! For those that actually do tend on maintaining a keto diet for extended periods then maybe Ketogenic Pre-Workout is for you! I wanted to give it a decent try and adopted a keto diet for about a month and was not a happy camper so I have to give kudos to those that stick with it! This product though is quite pricey but not because VMI unfairly prices it... the ingredients are just downright expensive and it's actually fairly priced with all things considered. It's definitely nice to see companies stray into new territory to find success in different supplement categories but this is probably one that I'll stay away from just because the lifestyle isn't for me but hey! if it's something that you do then by all means give it try if your wallet will allow it! Cheers Fellas!
  • Pink Lemonade: 7/10