KETOGENIC BHB SALTS - EXOGENOUS KETONES Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

ARTICLES
KETOGENIC BHB SALTS - EXOGENOUS KETONES is an Alternative Weight Loss Product manufactured by VMI Sports®. It can help assist in the loss of body fat, working in different pathways that traditional thermogenics.

9.1
  April 30, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydration
  • Reduced Cravings
  • Better Mood
  • Appetite Suppression
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Hydration Elements
  • Pricey For Some

Shout out to VMI! I'm a little late to the party but made it just in time to keep it popping! As I do every so often, I like to get on a keto friendly diet to shed a little fat off. Beginning of this year was no different after the holidays. I had seen KETO BHB advertised lately, but not tried it beforeso when I saw it in the vault, I thought it was perfect time to give it a try to compare past results.

First off, fully disclosed profile! I will highlight a few of the ingredientsbe sure to check the image below to see the remainder.
6g of go BHB to provide you with boost of energy all while burning fat and hydrating you.
300mg of L-Tyrosine to aid in mood support.
TRAACS Minerals and Electrolytes
Zero Caffeine to allow it to be stacked with stimulant

Taste: I give this a 10 out of 10. Mixability a 10 out of 10 as well. Dosing is 1 scoop a day with the option to take twice a day for better results. I took the standard dosing of once a day and took it mid-morning each day.

As for effectiveness, KETO BHB did wonders. I had already been on a Keto diet for 3 weeks and only lost 2lbs. By the end of the 20 days, I had lost an additional 5 lbs. I immediately started feeling a boost of energy after drinking it. One of the biggest initial results was the reduction in cravings. I found myself having to make myself watch the clock to eat food instead of my stomach telling me too. At the end of my 20 days, I was very pleased with the results and lost fat in my stomach where I was trying to focus on, all why not losing any strength. I set a new PR on deadlift at 436 weighing in at 161 lbs. My previous pr was 405.

I found this online for $40, which I think is more than a fair price for the quality ingredients you are getting with VMI. Especially if only taking one scoop a day. At two scoops a day I would say it's a little high for my liking at that point.

Side Effects

As for side effects, off and on I would experience slight stomach issues, but would clear up with quickly. Outside of that, no known issues.

Conclusion

In conclusion, VMI knocked it out of the park with another excellent product. If you are on a KETO diet/lifestyle and looking for a product like this, definitely don't hesitate to give this a try. You will not be disappointed.
  • Pink Lemonade: 9/10

March 18, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Cravings
  • Appetite Suppression
  • Versatile
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Only Two Flavors Available
  • Very Low Potassium
  • Temporary Foaming

From the brand:

Keto BHB is a sugar-free, stimulant-free hydration and performance aid that helps boost energy, focus and fat burning thanks to a powerful combination of patented goBHB exogenous ketone salts and L-Tyrosine. BHB Salts, or Beta Hydroxybutyrate Salts are an alternative, readily accessible source of energy to help control cravings & support the ketogenic lifestyle. Supplementing with BHB salts may help burn fat, decrease appetite, increase metabolism & energy production all while preserving muscle & supporting recovery.

6g goBHB I 300mg L-Tyrosine I TRAACS Minerals & Electrolytes

ENHANCES FAT BURNING
BHB salts are exogenous ketones that help shift your body from burning glucose to burning fatty fatty acids for fuel, which may ease the transition to a ketogenic diet.

IMPROVES ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
Exogenous ketones provide your muscles with readily accessible energy that can support performance during training or competition.

AIDS HYDRATION
Keto BHB contains essential electrolytes, in the form of TRAACS minerals & electrolytes from Albion, to replenish electrolytes lost when transitioning to a ketogenic diet as well as to support cellular hydration and proper muscle function.

VERSATILE
Keto BHB contains ZERO caffeine or any other stimulant, therefore it can be used any time of day or night to help increase energy, reduce cravings, heighten focus and boost your mood.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to VMI Sports for their continued participation here on SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to try and review many of the products they offer. My thoughts today are going to be about my experience with their Keto BHB product. Based on my food choices for the past six months or so, I have been following the keto lifestyle protocol of consuming zero direct carbs while increasing my fat intake and keeping protein to a moderate amount (much lower than I am used to). With that said, I do not know if I am technically in a state of ketosis because I have not invested in the supplies to test my blood on a regular basis. With that in mind, I wanted to give this supplement a try to see if it could improve my overall feeling of well-being while being very low carb and possibly improving my weight training sessions at the same time. Let's see how everything goes.

I have included a photo of the supplement facts panel at the bottom of this review for your reference.

As you may have figured out from the name of this supplement, the heart and soul of this formula revolves around the 7.2g of BHB salts. This is broken down evenly between the calcium, sodium and magnesium forms at 2.4g each per serving. To ensure quality ingredients are being used, VMI decided to use the patented goBHB version of the exogenous ketone salts. These are manufactured and distributed by the company Compound Solutions. The following information is taken directly from the Compound Solutions website (https://www.compoundsolutions.com/gobhb.html)

What is goBHB?
GoBHB is a ketone body, a breakthrough energy supplement from Compound Solutions. When eating a low carbohydrate diet, the liver converts fats to ketones, which serve as an alternative energy source for the brain, heart and muscle. With goBHB, you are ingesting a ready-to-use ketone body, giving athletes and busy professionals more energy, performance, and focus.

Boost Mental and Physical performance
Ketone bodies include acetoacetate, acetone and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) which facilitate mental and physical performance. goBHB is a ketone body delivering an immediate boost of energy and performance to athletes, busy professionals and "Biohackers" looking for an edge.

HOW DOES goBHB WORK?

Beta-Hydroxybutyrate is a ketone body providing a direct energy source to the brain and muscles. You do not have to be in a ketogenic state to benefit from goBHB. Even those with low carbohydrate diets can experience the benefits of higher energy and better performance.
Translation: It's a non-carb energy source

Other than the BHB salts included, this supplement also has 300mg of L-Tyrosine. L-Tyrosine is an essential amino acid which supports brain function. It can be converted by neurons in the brain into the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine (noradrenaline), hormones which are depleted by stress, excessive work and certain drugs. By replenishing norepinephrine in the brain, mental energy levels are enhanced and a feeling of contentment often occurs. L-Tyrosine boosts certain neurotransmitters in the brain and has been used to support stress reduction and depression. L-Tyrosine is converted in the body into other key biologic compounds, including L-dopa, CoQ10, thyroid hormones and melanin. Tyrosine can also enhance athletic performance. L-Tyrosine is an important component of protein and helps form the bioactive factors vital to cellular growth and maintenance. Tyrosine supplementation has the potential to increase athletic performance in a few ways. One of the mechanisms possibly contributing to fatigue during exercise is an increase in central serotonin levels and an increase in the ratio of serotonin to dopamine. Tyrosine may help decrease this ratio and compete with tryptophan (the amino acid precursor to serotonin) at the blood-brain barrier. Increased dopaminergic activity may decrease the perception of fatigue. Also, during highly stressful conditions, catecholamine levels can become depleted, and tyrosine may be particularly useful under these conditions.

Personally, I find this dosage to be a little low and in a perfect world I would like to see this ingredient dosed closer to 1000mg but would also settle for something in the range of 500mg to 750mg. The remainder of the ingredient profile is the hydration elements in the form of TRAACS minerals & electrolytes from Albion, to replenish electrolytes lost when transitioning to a ketogenic diet as well as to support cellular hydration and proper muscle function.

Taste >> I received the Star Berry Savers flavor, which based on the packaging should be a mix of red berries/fruits (strawberries, cherries and raspberries). Overall the flavor is enjoyable but nothing out of this world. No specific fruit flavor really stands out when drinking this and it is not overly sweet either. There is also no negative Stevia "bite" or aftertaste that sometimes comes with products that use that ingredient. The flavor system also allows for this supplement to be watered down beyond the recommended 8-16 ounces of water and it still tastes good.

Mixability >> I have included a few photos of my experience when it comes to the mixability with this supplement. After tossing a scoop into my shaker bottle, you can see some of the powder begins to dissolve on its own while most of it still sits on top of the water. After a few shakes without a blender ball, everything is cleanly mixed with no floaters, sinkers or any residue on the sides. The only minor issue that occurs is about a couple inches of foam forms on the top after shaking. If you give it ten to fifteen seconds, all that foam disappears and you are ready to go.

Dosing >> Per the brand: "Suggested Use: Mix one scoop in 8-16 oz of water (adjust water to personal taste preference), then shake or stir well & consume prior to physical exercise. For best results, use two scoops per day. Do not consume within four hours prior to sleep/bedtime. Avoid consuming in conjunction with other caffeinated products." They also say on their website "Consume 1 serving preferably on an empty stomach prior to exercise, or in between meals for a low calorie ketogenic snack."

I will speak about how I dosed this product in the effectiveness section.

Before I begin speaking about the effectiveness of this product, I wanted to give a brief overview of the lifestyle and eating protocol that I follow. I typically eat most of my food in the evening between 10pm and midnight. During the other hours of the day, I am either sleeping or just drinking water while I am awake. Sometimes that water will include some aminos or some type of flavor enhancer. On my lifting days in the gym, I typically workout in the early to mid-afternoon hours. This means that at least 12 hours has passed since I last had a whole food meal.

I used this supplement a couple of different ways throughout the tub to see how it performed in different areas of my everyday life. The majority of the scoops used from this supplement were as an intra-workout drink. I typically use either a BCAA or EAA supplement intra-workout to help with energy and recovery. When I had my tub of the Keto BHB, I wanted to see how it worked as a replacement for the amino acids. For this purpose, I would have to say that this supplement performed quite well. It gave me a nice little boost in energy mid-way through my workout without the consumption of more caffeine. The most noticeable effect for me was the hydration elements that each scoop provided. While taking this intra-workout, I never experienced or even came close to having muscle cramps or feeling light-headed from a lack of electrolytes or de-hydration. Using this instead of amino acids also did not affect my recovery or muscle soreness at all. Plus, this was a nice refreshing drink to sip on while working out in a hot and stuffy gym.

The other way I used this supplement was on my off days from weight lifting and when I only do LISS cardio. Depending on how the day was going, I would either throw a scoop in my water bottle sometime in the middle of the day as a little pick me up or I would sip on it during my late afternoon/early evening cardio session. As most of my food is eaten towards the end of the day, these scoops were taken on an empty stomach and while being somewhat fasted (even though drinking this would technically break my fast). While I did not have the chance to use that many scoop in this way, Keto BHB was perfect as a mid-day energy drink type supplement but without consuming extra caffeine and with the bonus of the additional electrolytes that your average Rockstar or Monster do not provide. When used during my LISS cardio sessions, this provided me just enough energy to keep my desired intensity throughout the entire duration while staying hydrated and avoiding all muscle cramps without affecting my sleep later that evening.

As for the claims on the tub, I cannot speak to how this supplement increased the ketone levels in my body because I did not perform any blood test to measure those. I can only go off based on how I felt before, during and after consuming this supplement while being fasted. Another claim on the tub is about appetite suppression and I do feel this supplement was effective at that goal. When I used this as an intra-workout, my training sessions were typically in the afternoon and there would still be four or more hours remaining until I started eating again. Prior to my use of Keto BHB, I would sometimes finish my workout and be ravenous for food. But when I had myself a scoop of this during my training, there were no extreme feelings of hunger felt. Some days I would even have to remind myself to eat in the evening because my body gave me no signals that it was hungry; even after a tough workout a few hours earlier.

A tub of this supplement with 20 servings retails for $45.99 on the VMI Sports website and currently about the same on Amazon as well. They also provide a 25% discount to military and first responders through their website, so that helps a little with the price. There is also currently a seller/store on eBay that has both flavors available for $37.95 with free shipping and sometimes there is an additional $5.00 off coupon available from this specific seller/store. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMI-Keto-BHB-Salts-Exogenous-Ketones-Ketogenic-Fat-Burner-20-Servings-2-FLAVORS/292898936732?hash=item443223179c:m:m779b_NiaESbjkeSwWC5Tvw:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true)

Side Effects

None personally experienced. As the brand mentioned in dosing, do not consume this too close to bedtime as it may cause some issues with falling asleep. Other possible problems I could foresee would be if you are allergic to Stevia, beet root or Beta-Carotene.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I believe this supplement is a good entry into the keto market but there are multiple areas for improvement to make this a top tier keto product. I would love to see some additional Potassium added to the formula along with some more tyrosine. I also hope they come out with some additional flavors (ideally for me, bring the rainbow candy flavor over from their other products) to compete with others on the market. VMI may also need to look into the size of the scoop for this product as it consistently came in heavy when I weighed it out. I would also like to see the tub come with at least 30 servings without having to increase the price too much. Since the tubs are currently only about half full, there is plenty of room for the additional servings in my opinion. Aside from that, this supplement performed excellently for me with the different ways that I was able to use it. The flavor I received was enjoyable and flexible enough to use different amounts of water. I am also glad that VMI decided to use the goBHB version of the ketone salts so I know the quality is there, along with the TRAACS minerals & electrolytes from Albion.

Once again, thank you to VMI Sports for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me. With a few changes to the formula and some additional flavors, this supplement should be a top seller for your company in the future.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Star Berry Savers: 8/10

February 1, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydration
  • Reduced Cravings

VMI Sports keeps impressing me. Thank you so much for not refusing to send product during difficult period of SR!

I've been on Keto diet for approximately 16 months (with cheating and rest between every two or three months of course!) and managed to easily coordinate it's grocery list with my lifestyle. As most of men in their 20s I prefer meat and fat over vegetables, thus I consume very little amount of carbs, mostly at breakfast and I use vegetables as a side dish for meat. I've tried only one BHB salt powder earlier, thus decided to request KETO BHB EXOGENOUS KETONES to compare.

Ingredient label of this powder is huge, compared to other products I've tried, so I'll mention only most relevant ones. As it's front cover says 6 grams of BHB are avaialble, which consist of equal 2.4-2.4 grams from Calcium, Sodium and Magnesium beta-hydroxybutyrates. 300 grams of L-Tyrosine amino acid is also available, which represents 4-hydroxyphenylalanine, being responsible to synthesize proteins, increase brain, mood, and stress response.
TRAACS (The Real Amino Acid Chelate System) Electrolytes & Minerals are also available from Albion, for improving hydration and recovery.

I got pink lemonade flavor and taste was basically OK, but as any other supplements I found it a bit sweet for me. Mixability was also OK, made a little foam, but I drank it with more than 0.5 liters of water and "cleaned" whole glass without big effort.
Even though it's recommended to take daily, because of it's value I used one scoop three times per week before workout.

For person with sedentary job, it's very difficult to live without carbs and even more difficult to exercise at night after work. Whenever I managed to get into ketosis, I felt very energized, focused and positive mood throughout the day and worked out late night without any pre-workout! During Ketosis I got minimal amount of carbs, even at breakfast I used to completely eliminate vegetables and only consumed two boiled eggs or cheese for example, during day I ate meat and fat or dairy products. Such ketosis state always used to go on successfully for 2-3 weeks, kept me energized for certain period of time and no cravings appeared, but recently I reduced body fat percentage to 10-11% and keto diet became more and more difficult... In addition to this, cravings became stronger and couldn't control them, whole day I dreamed for chocolate.
Unfortunately I don't have device, which can measure exact proportion of ketones and other things in blood (if any of you can recommend one for affordable price I would definitely buy!), so I can tell what effect it had on me after Keeping Keto diet for a very long time. First of all, it helped me with hydration, I always drink at least 3 liters of water per day, especially after workout I can drink more than one liter immediately and with this salt I had absolutely no desire for water. I felt significant increase in energy and mood, as earlier, first 15 minutes were always difficult and then energy levels used to increase continuously and worked out until muscles were dead. On the next I day, I usually had better mood, but can't tell you whether it was from ketones or from good workout... Also I can't say anything bout weight reduction, since I continued using Whey Protein and BCAA's alongside and weight was a little different all the time, So one thing I know for sure it did help me to go on without carbs!
I must say I drank it 5 times before experiencing any benefits, so it seems your body needs a little time to absorb and don't expect immediate results.

Now it's time for huge disadvantage... This salt has only 20 servings and on VMI Sports shop it costs $ 45.99 ( $2.3 per serving), too much for everyday use. The cheaper option is to buy it from ebay.com, where some guys sell it for $29.95 ( $1.5 per serving)! I have no idea why, I guess in local markets it costs much cheaper and promotion are available as well. Other relevant option is fitnessmaniasupps.com with $39.99 ( nearly $2 per serving).

Side Effects

None of them

Conclusion

Again and again huge thanks to VMI Sports for sending products during this period. If you follow Keto diet without craving and find it harder after losing significant amount of body fat to get into Ketosis, this BHB Powder will definitely help you. Just as any other product, this is addition to help your body function sufficiently, thus if you don't follow keto diet and have never been in ketosis, I definitely wouldn't recommend to pay so much.
  • Pink Lemonade: 8/10

Overall
Overall
5.9
  January 18, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydration

Keto aided products seem to be all the rage now. Haven't tried the bhb or any product of the like so decided to give this a shot.

I have been following Keto type diets for quite some time now, since way before they were the "in" thing to do. Seems to be the best way for me personally to cut weight in the past. So seeing products that could aid this seemed like a great thing....

6g of bhb which purpose is to help the body burn fat instead of other energy sources while in Keto. TRAACS minerals for helping keep the body hydrated, which is great for me because I can't speak for others but I seem to stay less hydrated while on these types of diets. And lastly tyrosine to help with focus another big issue for me while on this type of diet.

I received the red starblast flavor which I'm assuming was meant to emulate a red starburst. The flavor to me was great, really enjoyed it every time. Mixing was never an issue either, taken before a workout.

Unfortunately the pros for this product end shortly after the great flavor, I did feel like this helped tremendously with hydration but for the price this should be more than that. The usual cramps were gone during my workouts and after and I felt overall hydrated. Weight loss, focus, and energy help were for the most part were almost non existent. I lost weight at about the same consistency as I would have without this and there was no overall better feeling of self either.

Around $45 for a 20 serving tub of anything is pretty high to me, but for something that just helped with hydration is undoable

Side Effects

Conclusion

Thanks to Vmi for sending this out, I've tried several of their products and usually they are pretty solid but this was kind of a let down
  • Star Berry: 9/10

December 24, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydration

A non stimulant energy source.

Thank you to the company of VMI. I enjoy stimulant free pre-workout, and I am always trying to find healthy supplement for energy. So many energy boosters contain a lot of caffeine and other energy boosters that may hurt more than they help. What I mean is that some can increase energy with bad ingredients, some break ketosis, and others stop intermittent fasting. All these are things I look for in my energy source. This is a product that claimed to help with these things and was worth the shot.

The ingredients are stimulant free and has a lot of ingredients but I want to focus in specifically 6g of BHB salts. BHB salts, or mineral salts with beta-hydroxybutyrate, are used for energy and fat burning. Beta hydroxybutyrate is a 3 ketone body and is to burn fat instead of glucose. The key to BHB being effective relies on a low and less amount of blood sugar and insulin. The ketone production is from fatty acids in the liver. BHB is becoming an used ingredient in supplements for weight loss. The other good ingredients are minerals for hydration and 300 mg of Tyrosine which is for focus. The ingredients are good and I give it a good rating.

I got Star Berry Savers flavor which was nice so no issues here. I mixed it with 8 oz of water and the product broke down well. The dosing was one scoop on an empty stomach prior to workout or use prior to meal. I used this prior to workouts in place of a pre-workout. The 6 grams per serving was fine. Overall, this is a comfortable rating.

According to VMI, the BHB is as a stimulant-free hydration and performance aid, to help boost energy, focus & fat burning. What I found difficult with this was not on the label and the tub gave no information on what this supplement is to be used. I figured it was a pre-workout since it said to use prior to a workout. I also thought it was specifically for ketosis. The thing was, I had no idea. The BHB should be labelled better and explain why you should use this. The only information I was able to receive was when I went on-line to research it. It was there I found the information mentioned above (which I copied and paste). Another thing that was mentioned on-line was to use it with a pre-workout, but I never did, so I can not rate is BHB being used with a pre-workout. BHB was only able to produce hydration for me. I was always hydrated and left my workout feeling great, which came from the salt portion of the supplement. Where it did fail for me was energy, focus, and fat burning. I can safely say that prior to workout or following workout, I did not have a boost in energy or focus. I expected this to be a pre-workout product but it was not. As far as fat burning, I had no weight loss. The critical part to this is to stay in ketosis but how much weight loss is due to the actual diet versus the product. Overall, this was not what expected, so I give it a low rating.

The BHB was available on the company website and Amazon for $45. The tub has 20 servings which is $2.25 per serving. The BHB is expensive for me and not my normal price. I give this a low ranking due to the higher cost and not having a lot of effectiveness.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is the lowest review I have had on VMI. This was just a product that failed to produce. The ingredients, taste, mixability, and dosing were fine. The effectiveness was low on everything other than hydration which makes the value really low. There were no side effects. Overall, this is a low rating and a product I would not use again.
  • Star Berry: 9/10

6.2
  December 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Cravings
  • Better Mood
  • Hydration

Ketone salts, nootropics, and electrolytes to make keto cutting easier.

Hey SR, as many of you know, I have been doing Carb Nite dieting for awhile now. I have seen more and more of these ketone products pop up and they are pretty interesting. The whole idea is that these will help you get into ketosis quicker so your body will burn more fat, and take a lot of the "keto flu" symptoms away that include lethargy, headaches, cravings, etc. Not a lot of hard science yet, and tracking ketosis also takes money whether it's bloodwork, urine sticks etc. I've been doing it for so long though, I think I can be a good judge as far as if this helped and improved my keto diet, or if it was just a sham. Here's how it worked for me.

As always, VMI delivers a nice profile and is fully disclosed. This provides a little over 6g of BHB salts (the main ingredient to help you get into ketosis in theory), some TRAACS minerals for hydration support, and 300 mg of Tyrosine for focus. I really think the hydration elements and focus support are nice extras for this product, and behing that the salts are new for me I like this profile quite a bit.

Mixability was was good but a little foamy. Dosing is anytime, preferably preworkout, on an empty stomach. As an experienced keto dieter though, I played with the dosage some. I did not take this everyday as I thought this would be a waste. I follow the Carb Nite protocol where basically you go super low carb for 10-14 days, usually under 20 g, and then you have a cheat night to reset your hormones, etc. This has been incredibly successful for me and love it, but I know it takes at least 2 days to get back into ketosis. Knowing this, I always waited at least a day and a half before I used this as I don't think it would have much effect the day after a cheat meal and you still had to "get rid" of all these carbs. Plus, since this is supposed to help with the side ffects of keto dieting I wanted to wait till a couple days after cheating when those cravings become real again.

So did this work? First of all, no I didn't get blood work or urine sticks. YEs, I know this makes it a scientifically invalid review, but so what most of us aren't going to do that anyways. I've been keto dieting for years and here's what I can tell you. This helped me in a lot of ways. The hydration and focus really helped on a lot of days especially in the afternoons. I do feel that this helped me get into keto faster, but not necessarily in a deeper state of ketosis. I saw a little increase in weight loss, but not a ton. Overall, this helped me with the cravings, focus, and energy even though there are no stims. This helped quite a deal in helping me stick to my diet longer. Perhaps this would work better if I did 20 straight days without cheating, and would be worth a shot in running it that way.

This is one of the biggest set backs, as the cheapest I found this is $40 for 20 servings. At this price point, it would purely be a luxury item.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This really helped with keto side effects and cravings and helped me stay on track, but too expensive to be a staple in my arsenal.