Aminogex Ultra Reviews

By: VMI Sports®

Overall
Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports® for sending it out!
  August 19, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed
  • 7g BCAA InstAminos
  • Lot Of Flavors
  • Nice Name
  • Nice Colors
  • Interesting Ingredients
  • Moderate Hydration
  • Low Price
  • Magnesium Glycinate Glutamine Chelate
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Only 30 Servings
  • Weak Taste If Not Very Cold Water
  • Hydration Could Be Better

I took days writing this review, weeks if you count that what I was writing got lost twice! It will take you minutes to read my review if you want to read something interesting ;)

INTRODUCTION

Thanks once again to VMI SPORTS for constantly participating in the SR TROOP program and to SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. I lift weights from Monday to Friday, right now, just lifting to preserve and maintain muscle and also reduce my body weight and fat.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

25mg of Vitamin B6 (1250% DV) + 30mcg of Vitamin B12 (500% DV). Good additions but if you take a preworkout that already has these 2 vitamins, then watch out. Maybe the Vitamin B6 is too high considering we usually also get it from other sources.

Then we have 7g of BCAAs (as InstAminos) in a 2:1:1 ratio so it would be (3.5g Leucine, 1.75g Isoleucine and 1.75g Valine). 7g is more than the standard 4-5g so it's great. It's also the patented InstAminos version so even better. Not the biggest fan of the 2:1:1 ratio though. Then we have 1.25g of Betaine. Betaine has a lot of overall and performance benefits and like SR says: "Betaine's major benefits in the body stem from its ability to act as a methyl donor, meaning it can donate one if its methyl groups to another molecule that may be in need to complete a biological process." I like this inclusion of Betaine. It's not the full dose but it's alright, I don't expect full dose on every ingredient. They say they added Betaine for Strength and yes, Betaine is for that but also it works great with Creatine (another ingredient for strength).

Then we got the TRAACS electrolytes (great) + Sodium Chloride (electrolyte) and finally we got 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate Glutamine Chelate (MGG). I read 2 studies of this ingredient and the product itself explains what's MGG. They say "it's Glutamine bound to a Magnesium molecule. Glutamine alone is not enough! Magnesium works synergistically for recovery and muscle repair. This powerhouse combination can lead to improved repair and preservation of muscle tissue." They forgot to say it has Glycine too.

They made 2 studies on this ingredient MGG. The first study demonstrated the increase on plasma glutamine levels using only 240mg of Glutamine (stabilized in this new form MGG). And the second study compared the effects on lean body mass of people taking MGG and people taking testosterone as anabolic steroid. Surprisingly, "The participants in the chelate group who were taking the non-steroid anabolic formulation (the magnesium glycyl glutamine chelate) had a mean increase in lean body mass (muscle) of 7.04 pounds (3.2 kg). During that same period, the anabolic steroid group that consumed the testosterone had a mean increase in its lean body mass of 6.6 pounds (3.0 kg)."

If you would like to read the complete information of this ingredient, read it here: https://nvienutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Magnesium-Glycyl-Glutamine-and-Anabolic-Study.pdf Pages 1-5 general info and pages 5-10 is the info of the studies.

My thoughts: Sounds interesting, very interesting but very hard to believe that little amount of Glutamine (even if it's stabilized) and the combination with Magnesium can have so much benefits. The product includes the 400mg used in the study though so that's good.

More information of the product: https://www.vmisports.com/blogs/news/aminogex-ultra-bcaas-lift-longer-grow-stronger and here: https://www.vmisports.com/products/aminogex-ultra-bcaa-powder

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*TASTE: I requested any of these 3 flavors: Tropical Mango, Pina Colada or Sweet Iced Tea. I received Tropical Mango. I've tried this flavor before, they sent me a sample of this flavor back when I tried their preworkout VMI K-XR and I loved it back then. The thing is when I tried it this time, I was a bit dissapointed because the flavor was "too light" and I like a stronger taste. 1 week and a half before the product was finished, I tried it with very cold water and bam! I nailed it, I finally found how to make the taste be stronger, simply with very cold water. Bad thing was that I only had 1.5 weeks left with the product lol.

Other flavors available: Cherry Lime Italian Ice, Pink Lemonade, Orange Ice Pop, Pina Colada and Sweet Iced Tea. I received 1 sample of Pink Lemonade, Cherry Lime Italian Ice, Pina Colada and Orange Ice Pop. I was able to try Pink Lemonade (8/10), Pina Colada (9/10) and Orange Ice Pop (8/10). I had to give Cherry Lime to someone else (that's the bad thing of opening your package in front of someone else lol) BUT I tried that one also as a sample when they sent me VMI K-XR and back then, I didn't like it.

MIXABILITY: No problems.

DOSING: Feel free to take it anytime you want. Pre-Intra-Post or anytime during the day. I took it as my drink with one of my meals. I know that's not the traditional moment to take it but I was more interested in its muscle building/preservation properties than its performance/strength properties. I did try it 2 or 3 times intra-workout though.

EFFECTIVENESS

I started using VMI Aminogex Ultra (this product) the same day I also started using VMI Protolyte and like I said in that review, the first week was very surprising, I was in shock that after coming back from sickness, I was able to have a week without muscle soreness! But after that week, everything went back to normal. Sometimes taking amino acids with food can make your stomach upset but it wasn't the case with Aminogex Ultra. But where did this idea came from?

Examine.com about Leucine: "The studies assessing Leucine mostly look at muscle protein synthesis when additional Leucine is added to the diet or to a test meal, and it appears that Leucine is able to reliably increase muscle protein synthesis after test meals. Whether this results in more lean mass over a period of time is somewhat less reliable though, and leucine appears to be more effective at promoting gains in muscle in people with lower dietary protein intake(...)"

Also this from the same source: "It tends to be taken either in a fasted state or alongside meals with an inherently low protein content (or protein sources that are low in leucine)." From VMI Sports: "This (taking it in-between meals) can help cause anabolic spikes throughout the day to promote muscle growth by the stimulation of M-TORC1 via Leucine ingestion."

Seeing the benefits of muscle growth and increase on lean body mass because of the ingredients (BCAA, MGG, Betaine) require more time and specific tests that I obviously didn't make. I'm not on caloric deficit but I reduced my calories a lot so my main goal is to preserve/maintain muscle, I know I'm not going to build muscle fast with the calories I'm eating and it got the job done. I tried it 2-3 times intra-workout and couldn't notice much but I honestly didn't pay much attention here. I should try it intra-workout some other moment to perceive the benefits more. Looking at the ingredients, it should work great intra-workout.

About Hydration, I tried it like 3-4 times when I was very thirsty during a normal non-workout day and I wasn't impressed. It worked but only for like an hour. After that hour, I had to go and drink water to control my thirst. It's not completely bad because it worked for some time but it wasn't like I expected.

VALUE

Like other SR users have said here, the product shines here. You can get it on Amazon for $22.85 and $23 but you can't trust the stability of Amazon prices lol, hopefully it stays that way. Other retailers have it for $28.99, $29.99. If it can stay $25 and below, it's going to be great. More than $25 and until $30, it's not the best but it's fair. More than $30, nope, run away.

SIDE EFFECTS

CONCLUSION

Interesting ingredients (especially that MGG ingredient), great profile, nice colors, nice name, delicious tasting flavors, 7g of patented BCAAs (InstAminos), not the full clinical dose of Betaine but extra Betaine is always good news, hydration is there but can be better, does the job. Remember to use very cold water for a more delicious taste.

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. If you can sell 30 servings of this product for that price, then making a 60 serving container would be a excellent idea in terms of effectiveness and price. Hope you do it. Remember you also put on the bottle's label that 1x improves endurance and 1x twice is maximum recovery. Making it 60 scoops would allow people to have maximum recovery and still get 30 servings (2 scoops per day).

2. Consider reducing the Vitamin B6 dose, just a little bit. This is powdered form, I don't see the need of having 1250% of DV.
  • Tropical Mango: 8/10