Vitargo S2 Reviews

By: Vitargo Global Sciences

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
Vitargo S2 is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by Vitargo Global Sciences. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

January 2, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Endurance
  • Recovery
  • Ver Expensive Compared To Waxy Maize

Well. Vitargo.... Where do I start? I love you, but i hate you at the same time. You give me great recovery, but you also make my wallet recover..

I've ran through 2, 3lb tubs in a row, and here are my results.

Ingredients-10/10

The main ingredient in this and why it costs so much is Fractioned barley amylopectin, It's sourced from Europe, therefore, making it a wallet buster.

It's 280 calories per 2 servings, and 70g of carbs total with 0 fat and 0 protein. Very solid source of carbs.

Taste- N/A/10

Taste, Tasteless. I had the unflavored version, and It just make my shakes thicken up a bit.

Effectiveness- 10/10

Wow. Whether you believe in intra workout carbs or not, This stuff is the real deal. I ran this two different ways. Either 1 scoop intra and 1 scoop post with whey or 2 scoops intra with EAA, Creatine, and BCAA.

Both ways are extremely effective for recovery purposed. I literally almost had 0 soreness no matter what day I worked out or how many days I lifted in a row. Using one scoop intra gave me that great carb pump as well as very VERY quick digestion. I have used Cyclin Dextrin before as well. That is #1 in my book but this has taken the spot of #1B in my book. Very effective, quick digesting, super carb. Hands down, one of the best Carbohydrate products on the market.

Value- 7/10

Don't get me started... I dont even need to put the price on here for you guys to know this stuff is insanely expensive. $50 for 18 servings? C'mon man...

Luckily, Vitamin Shoppe near by my house had these on the clearance table and I picked up 2 tubs for the price of one :)

Side Effects - Zero

Conclusion-

An awesome product and a decent price point. Yes its expensive, yes it's overpriced. But I will be purchasing this again after i run out of Cyclin dextrin and i will alternate the carb. I love intra workout carbs. You can't go wrong with either one i just listed.

But Vitargo is a da** good product. I recommend this to anyone looking for a intra workout carbohydrate as long as you have money to burn.

DanTheManski, out.

1.0
  July 25, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Recovery
  • Chalky
  • Hard To Mix
If you are reading this, chances are you are searching for a high quality carb source and you have come to the right place. Vitargo (V-S2) is exactly that, but is it the best choice? The initial reason I purchased V-S2 was because I wanted the best carbohydrate kicker to add to my post-workout protein shakes. My thought being a superior carb would create a better insulin response and therefore generate improved protein synthesis for enhanced building muscle. I did a little research (too little, too late it turns out), asked a few questions (perhaps the wrong ones) and ultimately decided that you get what you pay for. My false conclusion: V-S2, being quite possibly the most expensive carb choice on the market, must be the best choice.

According to the GENr8 website, Vitargo S2 (V-S2) is a patented molecular carbohydrate derived from a special barley starch. It is made through a special fractionation process that makes it rapidly digestible and therefore capable of delivering glucose to the blood, liver, and muscle at least twice as fast of other ordinary carbs. It is safe, natural, and 100% sugar free.

The website also has other scientific information relating to the molecular size of V-S2 being so much larger than regular sugars. This "larger" size lends itself to having a low osmolality which helps it pass quickly through the gut and not soak up water like a sponge which not only delays digestion, but also can give the consumer a "bloated" feeling.

Also on the GENr8 website I found a large quantity of impressive charts and studies on how wonderful V-S2 is for athletes. At first glance it appears that V-S2 is an amazing product which greatly surpasses any other normally used carbohydrate on the market. There is a lot of interesting information posted about the benefits of quickly refueling your muscles once they are depleted of energy. What they don't tell you is that "all carbohydrates" will refuel your muscle. Not just V-S2. After all the technical mumbo jumbo is waded through, the one big claim to fame that resounded over and over again was V-S2 is the FASTEST MUSCLE FUEL.

GENr8 claims Vitargo S2 moves through the stomach more than 2X faster than ordinary carbohydrates for rapid digestion and absorption.

GENr8 also claims Vitargo S2 increases insulin levels 168% higher than ordinary carbohydrates after exhaustive exercise.

Now looking closely into those last two statements you will notice that they are directly comparing V-S2 against "ordinary carbohydrates". Also when you look at their fancy charts and graphs you will notice that all comparisons put up against V-S2 are "maltodextrin + sugars". GENr8 goes so far to tell you that maltodextrin is the fastest sugar, but then the studies include a maltodextrin blend. Simple logic is that if maltodextrin is the fastest sugar and you add other (unlisted) sugars, those sugars must be slower therefore making the maltodextrin blend slower to digest and absorb and therefore making V-S2 looking only that much faster. Reminds me the story of The Tortoise and the Hare, but the Bugs Bunny version where Bugs Bunny puts several obstacles in place to slow the hare down even more. Poor sportsmanship on the part of Bugs Bunny and poor selling tactics on the part of GENr8. I mean come on, a Ferrari does not need to compare itself to a Pinto to look good. A Ferrari stands on it's own, and for the higher price, Vitargo should too.

As I stated before, these studies all appear to be quite impressive at first glance, but is V-S2 worth the extra scratch? To answer this question I purchased a large tub of another well known (and much cheaper) carb source called Waxy Maize. To compare the two against each other I acquired a blood glucose tester. Yes, just like the ones diabetics use. Using my normal post-workout protein drink recipe, I added 40g of Vitargo S2 on day 1. On day 2 and day 3 I added 40g of Waxy Maize to the exact same protein mix. The following results are what I recorded:
Post-workout 116 97 102

RESULTS –

Vitargo S2 (V-S2) created a 20 point rise at +15 and a 30 point drop at +45

Waxy Maize #1 (WM#1) created a 20 point rise at +15 and a 24 point drop at +45

Waxy Maize #2 (WM#2) created a 7 point rise at +30 and a 21 point drop at +45

CONCLUSION:
Vitargo S2 is the slight winner over Waxy Maize as V-S2 created an insulin response that lowered my glucose 30 points while Waxy Maize achieved a 21 and 24 point drop in its two tests. While the V-S2 appears to have created the better insulin response, it is worth noting that V-S2 was not any faster of a carb source as my body processed both compounds completely in the same time frame of 45 minutes. For the record I did do a little research on waxy maize and it is in fact a high density carb source just like V-S2 so this explains why it moves through your system just as fast without causing bloating or added water absorption.

I would also like to point out that GENr8, through its own admission on their website, state that Vitargo was made from Waxy Maize up until 2005. They obviously figured the current barley starch was a better alternative to the corn starch of Waxy Maize. Unfortunately they do not give us any reasoning or test data to prove its dominance. The only thing GENr8 will say about Waxy Maize is that their "competition has not performed the human studies to compare the level of effectiveness as Vitargo". I say GENr8's competition may have not done the studies, but I'm pretty sure they did their own. Otherwise why switch from corn to barley? And if it is that much better, why not give the consumer that data? My guess is because like I proved on myself, it is a little better, just NOT THAT MUCH BETTER.

Effectiveness - 8/10
Vitargo is an effective sugar free carb source and it very well may be the fastest absorbing on the market. There is no denying the studies GENr8 conducted against far inferior sugars. Is it truly necessary to digest your carbs twice as fast as regular sugar? I mean 10 minutes versus 20 minutes? Big deal. Even GENr8's own charts on insulin production show that V-S2 vs. maltodextrin + sugars are dead even at roughly the 1 hour mark.

Value – 1/10
The cheapest I could find Vitargo S2 was on AllStarHealth.com at the following prices:
(note: I purchased the 4.2 pounder and chose not to run the suggested 70g serving as I felt 40g was adequate for my needs.)
1.7lbs (771g) for $33 (11 - 70g servings) ($3 per serving)
4.2lbs (1905g) for $63 (27 – 70g servings) ($2.33 per serving)
11.2 lbs (5080g) for $155 (72 – 70g servings) ($2.15 per serving)
As a comparison this is what I paid for my Waxy Maize:
NOW Waxy Maize 5.5lbs for $22.39 (35 – 70g servings) $0.64 per serving

It is obvious here that Vitargo is grossly overpriced for what it does and explains my low value rating.

Overall – 4/10
In a world where "you get what you pay for" is a common statement, Vitargo falls quite short of its competition. It is my honest opinion that what you get from V-S2 is not worth the extra money. If you are searching for a high quality carb source, you came to the right place, but if you want one just as effective and way cheaper, I highly recommend you keep looking.

December 12, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Endurance
  • Recovery
  • Builds Strength
    Hey guts, I have been on Vitargo for a good 3 months now to this day. I included Vitargo in my cut routine, while monitoring carbs and keeping them low. Wanted to keep my size and keep the muscle full of glycogen post workout. I utilized it pre/intra also for energy while on a carb down.

I used Dextrose and Waxy Maize before, but was recommended a better carb to try few months ago when starting my cut. After some google searches and reading more into Vitargo I purchased it.

VITARGO: 2 scoops 75g fast acting, quick digesting carbs with No Sugar! Quality post workout glycogen replenishment.

TASTE/MIX: 8/10
    I always add the unflavoured to my post workout/pre and intra (BCAA's). Literally has no taste, just makes it thicker. Mix-ability is thick, and you need a ball in shaker bottle to really smooth it all out. I add 40g protein into 300mL water, shake then add 75g vitargo and mix to make sure it all breaks and mixes fine. I found mixing it all together wasn't as smooth as doing one then the other.

RESULTS: 10/10
    Finishing my bulk at 89.5kg, 13-14%, fast forward 12 weeks of slow cutting, low carb and vitargo pre 1/2 scoop 17.5g /intra 1/2 scoop 17.5g/post 2 scoops 75g. I am now at 90.5 at 7-8%. Vitargo kept my muscles full, replenished, quick recovery and full of glycogen at critical points where a lot of break down occurs. Having this pre and intra with my xTend works fantastic at the above dosages. My muscles feel fuller and harder 12 weeks on now. I put down my size up and fullness down to Vitargo purely on keeping my muscles anabolic around training while my diet had very minimal carbs.

Would I use this again? Yes and still am

I am behind Vitargo, it made a big difference to me wanting to keep my thickness/fullness and energy levels up on a carb cut and also wanting to attain a low bf %.

3.0
      November 15, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Recovery
    • Over Priced
    Just finished my 1rst 5lbs tub of Vitargo S2. I had read a lot of hype on it for quite some time and had always thought to try it, but only recently came around to biting the bullet.

In the past I've tried using dextrose, maltodextrine, and waxy maize starch... never really saw/felt any real benefits from them. Given the exorbitant price of the Vitargo (in Australia $85 for 5lbs, or $155 or 10lbs + shipping) you can see why I was skeptical about forking out the cash... so happy that I did though. And given that I didn't see too many detailed reviews on this product, felt compelled to write up a thorough one. It absolutely deserve mention.

As per directions, 2 scoops of Vitargo S2 give 70g of carbs. The first couple weeks I was putting 1.5 scoope (about 60g) into my post workout shakes. This seemed to work kind of well - felt more energy coming back to me sooner after my grueling 90+ minute workouts. Also felt more full after my shakes which was nice. I wouldn't say I noticed a night & day difference though.

HOWEVER, I then switched it up and put 1 scoop into my intra-workout shake: 10g glutamine, 20g BCAAs (4:1:1) and 35g of Vitargo. I'd fill my 1.5L Nalgene bottle to 1L of water and mix the powders together. Because I'm so used to drinking BCAAs & glutamine (unflavoured) on their own, which doesn't taste that great, the addition of Vitargo was fine. I'd start sipping my drink about 20 minutes into my workout and have it finished up by the end of my training, then immediately slam my post workout shake (ON Hydro Builder + 10g glutamine + 10g BCAAs (4:1:1) + 35g Vitargo).

"WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!" is all I can say. It's VERY rare that you can FEEL a product start working right away. Vitargo is that product. Immediate energy within a couple minutes from my first sip of intra-workout drink. Bouncing on my toes between sets, getting more reps on my sets, and lifting heavier weights. By the time I'm done my workouts 90 minutes later, as opposed to feeling like I have to scrape myself off the floor, I still feel relatively energized, which is amazing! I then slam my post-workout shake and head home.

Taste: 9/10
    I bought & used the unflavored - fine by me.
    Takes on the flavour of whatever you mix it with. Intra-workout shakes still kinda tastes gross (fine by me) but the post-workout shake pretty much tasted the same as my regular ON Hydro Builder, just slightly thicker, like a real shake.

Mixability: 7/10
    For the most part no issues. Occasionally if I didn't really shake my Nalgene bottle hard enough there'd be a few marble-sized clumps. Eventually those would find their way into my mouth, I'd chew it, then swallow. Not ideal but really not a big deal.

Performance: 10/10
    As stated above, this product is insane! I've tried most supplements under the sun as I've been training 20 years now. This is possibly THE BEST product I've ever used where the results are instantaneous! I'm seriously in awe at how effective this product is. Makes me wish sincerely that I'd have bitten the bullet sooner and bought it ages ago.

Price: 2/10
    Don't really know how to properly rate the price, other than to say it's ABSURD! So for all the Americans out there complaining about your pricing, a 10lbs tub in Australia is $155 + shipping and that's the BEST deal I could find nationally. Too heavy to bother importing it. So, this isn't a poor man's supplement. I DO feel bad for all the young guys & gals out there who possibly don't have it in their budget to try this product out - I've been there before while I was in Uni and it sucks. For those of you who DO have some playing around money, do yourselves a favor and buy a 5lbs tub and try it for a month - you won't be disappointed.

The Vitargo S2 is, again, one of THE BEST supplements out there on the market that I've ever tried. The ability to have that much more energy during my workouts, lift heavier, lifts more reps and do more sets, directly leads to better results, plain & simple. By the time I leave the gym after my post-workout shake I feel JACKED like my muscles were inflated with synthol or something - I look & feel about 10lbs bigger. I may start playing around with the dosing and maybe try the full 70g for intra-workout and 30g for post-workout, dunno yet. But so far for me, the 35g/35g split between intra and post workout has been AMAZING!

I'm a little put off that GenR8 haven't dropped the prices, or perhaps rather that Australian resellers haven't, as the price is absolutely ridiculous. But, having tried the 5lbs tub, I can absolutely vouch for its effectiveness. 2 days ago I ordered the 10lbs tub which should show up today. So other than griping about the price, hands down I'll say this is one of the best supplements I've ever used and it IS now a regular staple in my supplementation regime, and will remain so.

Cheers.

January 11, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Endurance
    • Recovery
    • Builds Strength
      Hello everyone. I am continuing my reviews of products I am currently taking and products I have taken recently in order to hopefully contribute a little back to this site as I have learned a lot from members here.

I was taking a waxy maize supplement a short time ago after doing a little research about its supposed benefits and such when I came across a couple studies and articles online that made me take a step back and re-evaluate its benefits. While it has become a staple of many peoples supplement stack's, and also many manufacturers' formula's, I didn't really see any benefits for me personally. I took it for a few months before I decided to do more research on waxy and other related products, when I came across Vitargo. The first thing that stuck out was, well, the ridiculously high price. Nonetheless, as I read more and more about it, I found that all of its qualities could possibly far outweigh its expensive price tag. Not to mention, almost every user of it absolutely swears by it. So here we go...

PROFILE: The profile is pretty simple. Very straightforward and clear. A heavy dose of 70 "good" carbohydrates with no sugar. That was huge to me because for myself and many others, quality post-workout supplementation is of the utmost importance when building quality gains and maintaining them.

TASTE/MIXABILITY: I combined these two categories in my review because everyone seems to agree that this product can be a pain sometimes to mix properly. I had trouble mixing it the first couple times I took it, but then I figured out the best way to mix it for me was to put approximately 6-8 ounces of water in a shaker prior to one or two scoops (When using two scoops I use a little more water) and shaking it for about 30 seconds or so, then adding your post workout protein, glutamine, etc. I use 3-4 scoops Xtend in the watermelon flavor and the two mix very well. The Vitargo I purchased is UNFLAVORED because I want the product as raw as possible so I can do exactly as I stated above, mix it with whatever I am using at the time. The flavor of this combination is not bad at all. I don't feel I need to "choke" it down. It can be a little thick, but that is easily fixed by adding more water.

RESULTS: Surprisingly, this product started working from the beginning. That rarely happens for me as I am a classic hardgainer. After a workout, no matter how many sets, this always seemed to get right to work making my muscles feeling replenished, almost like I never worked them. After about 2-3 weeks is when I started combining it with Xtend and that was it, I was hooked. My muscles feel fuller and harder and I definitely notice a difference when I do not take it.

CONCLUSION: I am behind this product 100% and it has lived up to my highest expectations, which isn't easily attained. This product is expensive. HOWEVER, I scoured the internet, local retailers, etc looking for a decent price. When I found out GNC carried it, I remembered they were running a Buy One Get One FREE sale. I jumped on the opportunity to stock up. Not only that, I signed up for their gold card and got an additional 20% off. I guess its all about timing. They just got done running a similar promotion, but the second one was only 50% off, not free, but still a decent price. I rated the value where I did because of the price I got. If you can wait to try it when a supplier is running a special, it makes it worth it. I definitely recommend this product

December 21, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Improved Endurance
      • Recovery
      • Chalky
      • Hard To Mix
      The Facts:
      -Been taking for 3 months on my second tub.
      -WO 4 times weekly lifting then cardio
      -Been taking at or near the end of my WO in a shake.
      -Mixes poorly and tastes chalky.
      -Fairly expensive to others on the shelf.
      The Results:
      -Muscle recovery has quickened.
      -Most notable improvement was being able to WO 5 times in a week, though I don't always have time for it.

I guess I am just getting tired of mixing this stuff up, heading to the gym and pulling it out near the end of my workout to try and choke it down. I know it works pretty well, but I'm convinced there are better recovery formulas that will give me the same results without the taste issue.

I am rating it well, because it works, but giving it a maybe recommendation because of the taste issues and the price.

April 9, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Improved Endurance
      • Recovery
      • Ver Expensive Compared To Waxy Maize
      The BEST carb supplement on the market, the proof is when you drink it after your workout you can feel the glycogen being restored back into you muscles, it was almost like a pump after the pump from the workout, i started combining with glutamine,bcaas, and 5g of creatine mono ad its an awesome P.W.O concotion,,, however be warned that its not the most mixable drink out there, there will be some clumps from time to time

March 17, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Improved Endurance
      • Recovery
        started using this as my post workout insulin spiker w/ some bcaa powder and creatine mono. i saw instant results with this product. after 10-15minutes of ingesting i could feel my muscles start to swell back up. needless to say my recovery time was shortened to the point where i could do the exact same workout program(exercise,reps,weight) as i did the day before. i would only do 1 scoop instead of 2, just to stretch it out. an unbelievable product that will hit you with results from day one. not many products can say that.

February 28, 2010

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Recovery
          I just finished my 2nd tub of vitargo and must say this stuff definitely does help with recovery. I took it immediately following workouts and the next morning. I was not near as sore next day when taking vitargo. This stuff does not mix well if you don't mix it fast and with enough liquid. I added it to my Myoplex deluxe with some extra water and had to make sure i put it in at the last second before blending or it turned into a gelatinous ball. Makes your shake much thicker but defiantly tolerable. The main problem with vitargo is the price, it is expensive and the serving sizes are huge so a tub does not last long. If you have the money it is not a bad choice just and expensive one.