UXO Whey Isolate Reviews

By: UXO Supplements

Protein > Whey Protein
UXO Whey Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by UXO Supplements. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

January 25, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Isolate Form
  • A Bit Expensive
  • Extremely Thick
  • Mediocre Taste

I had never heard of this company when I claimed the product, but everybody likes protein right? Being an Isolate was another plus, I wanted to get in a few more grams of protein without al the extra fluff and this profile looked pretty clean to me.

Pretty clean profile here, you have 24.7 grams of whey protein isolate, 1 gram of fat, and 3 grams of carbs(1sugar and 1dietary fiber) No unnecessary extras or fillers.

I received the chocolate peanut butter flavor, it was very meh/soso, didn't stick out, but also didn't make me dread drinking it either. Hard to describe the exact flavor but it wasn't awful. I have had some delicious PB Choc. flavors in protein and this just didn't stack up to them, very middle of the road.
Mixing.... like abailey mentioned in his review this was unusually thick, which UXO rep explained was because of the Xantham Gum added into it. I may be different from most people, but a thick shake is a turn off for me especially in an Isolate I like a very thin easy to drink protein shake. In order to get a consistency with this that I enjoyed the flavor really took a hit.
Dosing really depends on how much protein a person needs, I tried to keep this at 1 scoop a day.

As far as I know this product met the needs for me, it helped me hit my protein macro goals without adding any extra fats or carbs into my diet. It also let me get some Isolate protein into my muscles shortly after a tough workout. Some people believe in the 30 minute window, some don't regardless though I enjoy taking in a protein shake right after a workout granted my stomach handles it alright. Taken as a post workout I never really had any issues with my stomach on this, whether it was a coincidence or not the 1st day I got this I took it for a breakfast replacement and had a rather memorable bathroom experience. Could have just been an off day but after reading abaileys review I thought it was also worth highlighting. My recovery and muscles stayed on track with what you would expect from a protein supplement.

39.99 for 30 servings. Isolates are always a little more expensive so I guess the price can be justified, but for me personally I have other isolate sources that I would rather drop $30-$40 on.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Thanks to UXO for sending me this product to try, wish I would have liked the taste a little more and the score might have jumped up a little more. Looking at the companys other products though it looks like they are on the right track and im curious to try out some of the others in the line.
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 6/10

January 8, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Value
  • Isolate Form
  • Stomach Issues
  • Extremely Thick
---Introduction---

When I saw the supplements from UXO appear on the TROOP dashboard and read a little about this company, I was very excited to get my hands on their products. I'm a big supporter of the military and the people that serve our country. I was able to get this product, their Whey Isolate, and their BCAA product. Ill talk about the latter in a separate review. Im intrigued with this company since it was started by veterans and they seem to have put together some very straightforward, well-dosed products. Thanks to UXO for the opportunity to give this one a shot and for the shaker bottle they included.

---Ingredient Profile---

Each scoop contains 24.7g of whey isolate, which is a product I enjoy having in the morning and post workout. Isolate is just a much more pure version of whey which is accomplished through a filtration process. Isolate enables you to basically get nothing but straight protein from each scoop. And only at the cost of 100 calories. If you like living low carb, or simply watching your calorie intake, isolate definitely provides an edge over typical whey protein powders.

---Taste/Mixability/Dosing---

I received the Chocolate Peanut-Butter flavor. I'm going to start by saying I'm a huge peanut butter guy. I've been good about it as of late, but I'm the type whose wife catches him at random times with a butter knife stuck into the bottle. Just going right for it. With this product, I felt very indifferent. It wasn't awful but it wasn't what I was hoping for. The main thing that turned me off was the texture. The directions say to mix one scoop with 4-6 ozs of water. This just did not work for me. It created a very thick, creamy mixture that I did not enjoy. When I upped the water to 10-12ozs, I was able to withstand it much better. Trying to mix scoops 2 scoops in one shaker bottle was also too much. According to the instructions, you should technically be able to get two scoops into one shaker bottle and still be at the prescribed amount of water. What I was left with was powder still left all over the mouthpiece of the shaker, and an extremely thick, filling cup of protein. I prefer to be able to get 2 scoops in one shaker cup and it still have a nice, refreshing consistency. I didn't dare add milk because of how thick it was with just water.

---Effectiveness---

Product Claims:
===UXO-ISO delivers 24.7 grams of quality isolate whey protein. It's designed to help you train harder and longer, build more muscle, and recover faster in between workouts.===

Pretty typical claims for a good protein priodcut. In terms of training harder and longer, it did not provide any additional boost that I noticed. I'm sure it did help build more muscle, as it is a quality isolate product as far as I can tell, and that's what protein can help you do. Recovery was not increased or decreased.

The other category I judge a protein powder on is how it effects my stomach. I was very disappointed with what happened to me on multiple occasions with this product. Over 50% of the time I used it, I had serious stomach issues within an hour. I was always having to run to the toilet with an upset stomach. I'll spare you the rest of the details. It's been a very long time since I've reacted to a protein powder like that, and I've tried countless brands. I was able to narrow this down to happening when I would drink 2 scoops at once. I'm not sure if maybe it was my body's natural reaction to how thick and sledgy it tasted going on, but it seemed to not be a factor if I just stuck to one scoop. My usual routine with whey or isolate is to have about 2 scoops as a post-workout shake.

---Value---

This sells for $39.99 on the UXO website providing you with 30 servings. This is about average for an isolate product. I did see the rep's comment on WarMachine's review that they do tend to offer 10% off which definitely helps out here. When you look for a strict isolate product, this is about the average you will pay.

---Side Effects---

Horrible stomach problems at 2 scoops. They were bad experiences to say the least. Upset stomach leading to a mess in the head.

---Conclusion---

I kind of covered what I wanted to say here up in my intro. I'm still intrigued with this company and feel good about them. I unfortunately could not buy this particular isolate again due to the stomach issues I had. I'm not going to full on recommend it, but my personal stomach issues are certainly not enough in my mind to not recommend it, as I believe there might be some people who enjoy the thickness and don't have stomach reactions like I did. I did enjoy their BCAA product and I'm hoping for an opportunity in the future to try out their PWO, as I saw some good reactions about it. Big time thank you to UXO and SR TROOP. I wanted to keep this review much shorter, but I had to make sure I shared my full experience with it. Thank you for reading.
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 6/10

December 28, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Value
  • A Bit Expensive

I'd like to begin by extending a special thanks to UXO supplements for providing their whey isolate protien product, among other products, for the TROOPs/ER program. Whey Isolate is nothing new to the supplement industry as it's generally another form of whey protein. The benefactor is that it is considered a more bioavailable and nutrient dense form of whey in comparison to others. Conversely, it is also one of the more expensive forms as well.

Along with some minerals, UXO whey isolate provides 24.7g of pure whey isolate. Whey Isolate is a form of undenatured whey protein. This means it is manufactured through a process of ultrafiltration to provide a higher protein content while retaining most of its bioactivity. Whey Isolate has minimal fat and carbohydrates, which is a definite plus for those trying to lose fat or watch their macros more carefully.

I was given the vanilla flavor and I found it good overall. The flavor didn't have any unpleasant artificial or bad aftertaste. I will say that it taste much better in milk than water. The mixability was efficient; no clumps or undissolved globs regardless of the liquid I used.

Since I only had 30 servings to my disposal, I stuck to using whey isolate only once a day. I would have a serving sometime post workout on training days and a serving sometime in the evening on non-training days. I would get the remainder of my protein requirements from food and occasional additional supplementing with another protein product.

Gauging effectiveness of a protein is tough because you generally don't "feel" it working. Me personally, I score efficacy based on what I wanted from it in terms of how it would help me supplement my protein requirements. For this isolate version though, I would devote some points to the recovery benefits is provided me with.

In all, UXO whey isolate was a good, healthy way to help keep my protein requirements on track and also helped in recovery by giving my body the protein fix it needed post workout. I will say this, it's difficult to say if this really had an advantage of general whey, but when focusing on the product alone, it did the job for what I needed it for.

UXO's products on not widely available, but where it is available, the average price is about 40 dollars for thirty servings. So that comes out to about $1.33 a serving. As I mentioned in the intro, isolate is usually more expensive than general whey products which contain concentrate. I've seen similar products with about the same servings go for a price range of 32-45 dollars. UXO isolate falls within this range, so it is definitely not the most expensive, but not the cheapest either. Still, for the benefits and quality of the product, I believe the value is overall fair.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you enjoy and prefer whey isolate, than I would recommend giving UXO's whey isolate a try. It is a high quality whey isolate that can help meet your protein requirements, provide with a good amount of EAAs, and give your recovery a boost. One thing I suggest though, is it may be worth having another cheaper protein product on the side since the product will run out quick if you use more than one serving which could prove costly money wise if you wish to use it regularly..

WARMACHINE OUT!!!