Pre-Workout V2 Reviews

By: UXO Supplements

Pre-Workout > Pump
Pre-Workout V2 is a Pump Product manufactured by UXO Supplements. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.

November 2, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Transparent
  • Good Pumps
  • Good Focus
  • Low Beta Alanine
Big thanks to the peeps at UXO Supplements for hooking up this item for review to the TROOPs. There are a million options for pre-workout supplements out there, but you can use that to your advantage. With the market so heavily flooded, you can be very particular with what you want and what you don't want in a product. With that in mind, let's take a look at how UXO's pre-workout measured up for me.

Dosage

2 scoop serving 20-30 minutes before working out.

Ingredient Profile (7/10)

There's some good, and some meh and this formula. To get the full effect of this product, you need to take the two scoop dose even if you're not a pre-workout junkie like myself. Props to UXO for not using prop blends and having full disclosure of ingredients.

A full serving starts you off with 6 grams of Citrulline Malate and 3 grams of Arginine AKG, which are both a good healthy dose in the proper spectrum for these ingredients and provide a solid pump aspect to the product. Next in the formula is 2 grams of Betaine, a good proven strength and endurance booster in a sufficient dose as well. Then comes 1.6 grams of Beta Alainine, now while Beta Alanine is a great endurance booster, in my opinion and experience you need around 3 to 4 grams to be effective so this falls well short of that mark. 1 gram of Tyrosine and Taurine, a moderate 275 mg of Caffeine, 100mg Theanine and 5mg of Bioperene round out the formula. So overall you end up with a combination that is good in some areas, and leaves me wanting more in others.

Mixture (9/10)

No problems with mixing, two scoops with about 10-12 ounces of water and shake and you'll end up with a well mixed product that doesn't have any grit or chunks.

Taste (8/10)

The flavor I received was called "Blue Frost", which tasted like your standard Blue Raspberry. While not my favorite flavor around, this did have a nice light taste to it with a little bit of sweetness and no overpowering aromas or aftertastes.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

Here's the breakdown on what I consider the 5 crucial elements of a good pre-workout:

*Strength- This is a creatine free product, but does provide an ample amount of Betaine. So while you won't notice any amazing strength gains, it will help keep you in balance with where you're at. Strength gets a C.

*Endurance- As noted the Beta Alanine is underdosed in my opinion. However, it does have a decent amount of Betaine so it saves face a little bit in this area. I didn't get those tingles I love to feel and didn't really reap the benefits of Beta Alanine in my view, so Endurance gets a C-.

*Pumps- This is one area where this product shines. The healthy doses of Citrulline and AAKG definitely deliver on some nice pumps and vein popping. Definitely felt some legit pumps while using this product, so pumps gets a B+.

*Focus- Another area that is good in this product. With some good doses of Tyrosine and Theanine, I did get a good sense of focus, not quite to the tunnel vision level. I still noticed the yoga pants girls on the treadmills, so that's always my ultimate test of a pre-workout's focus. This product does deliver a good level of focus though, so it gets a B.

*Energy- 275mg of Caffiene and 1 gram of Taurine are both tame doses in my opinion, but are good for a little bump and pick me up before you hit the weights. Nothing to write home about, but I still give it a B-.

Value (7/10)

Looks like UXO's website is the only place to snatch this so far, and will run you $35.99 for 30 servings, which runs you about a $1.20 per serving. At that price, I would expect to get a little bit more in terms of formula and ingredients, but since some of the elements are light or underdosed in my opinion, I do have to mark off a little bit for value.

Conclusion and Verdict

UXO's Pre-Workout delivers a nice kick of pumps and focus, but seems rather average in every other aspect. A little light dosing on some of the ingredients leave something to be desired. It does mix and taste well, and is a little over priced for what you get in my opinion. So while I did enjoy it for the most part, with the level of competition there is in the pre-workout field I say this product falls into the realm of obscurity and gets the "Meh" rating from me.
  • Blue Frost: 8/10

September 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 3rd Party Tested
  • Excellent Powder Conservation
  • Slightly Increased Strength
  • Increased Performance
  • Low Beta Alanine
  • Weaker Formula Than Version 1
  • Dyes

INTRODUCTION

What's up SupplementReviews. Before starting, thank you to UXO Supplements for participating in the SR TROOPS program and SupplementReviews for making the connection possible. Preworkouts are probably my favorite supplement category because its effectiveness can easily be felt, it motivates you, it gives you additional strength, energy, etc. Lifting without a preworkout is tragic! You will feel a huge difference. The preworkout offer is huge right now, hundreds of preworkouts that promise you a lot of stuff. And like any other category of things (clothes, shoes, cars, etc), there are ones that suck, others that are average, others are cheap and great, others are expensive and bad, others and expensive and great and so on. If you're one of those people that think drinking coffee can be considered a preworkout, then you really need to get out of that ignorant perspective and enter the real world of supplements.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

Fully disclosed label so positive points for that. UXO has 60 servings (1 scoop) or 30 servings (2 scoops). 1 scoop would be for people that are starting to use a preworkout or for people that do light stuff (newbies, cardio, etc). If you've already tried other preworkouts, then you can start with 2 scoops. The preworkout itself tells you to start with 2 scoops.

Amounts with 2 scoops (divide by 2 for amounts with 1 scoop):

UXO begins with 60mg of Vitamin C which is 100% of Daily Value. Vitamin C has a lot of benefits, in this case, I think they added it to increase blood flow.

6 grams of Citrulline Malate 2:1 and 3 grams of Arginine AKG: The 6 grams of Citrulline Malate are a high amount. When you see this ingredient, you want atleast a minimum of 3-4 grams and this has 6 grams. UXO used Arginine so positive points for that too. For some reason I still can't fully explain, I like when companies use a form of Arginine (HCL, AKG or especially Arginine Nitrate). Maybe it's like that first love thing lol. (Ok this made me sad). In this case, UXO used 3 grams of Arginine AKG. It's a good amount, I don't have a lot of experience with this form of Arginine, I've had great results with Arginine Nitrate. Both ingredients were added to increase nitric oxide levels and blood flow to get benefits like delay fatigue, Pumps, Vascularity, etc. More info about benefits of Citrulline Malate and how it works here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/citrulline-malate || More info about benefits of Arginine AKG and how it works here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/arginine-alpha-ketoglutarate

2 grams of Betaine Anhydrous: I haven't tried Betaine on its own, I've tried with other ingredients, especially Creatine. It has worked well overall but I can't really say if it's because of Betaine. Betaine helps our body produce more Creatine, it works well together with Creatine (too bad UXO Preworkout V2 doesn't has Creatine). So it is believed Betaine increases strength, improves performance, helps with muscle protein synthesis, etc. I think 2 grams is a good amount. More info about benefits of Betaine and how it works here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/betaine

1.6 grams of Patented form of Beta Alanine (Carnosyn): An ingredient that you always want to see in a preworkout. The full clinical dose is 3.2 grams, this has 1.6 grams. I believe that a product doesn't need to add the full clinical dose in order to see its benefits. Why not? Because when trying the full clinical dose, the ingredient is usually tested alone, without other ingredients. In a preworkout, you get several ingredients that provide similar benefits. So if they work well together, you can get the same or better benefits with less dose. Having said that, I would have liked to see a little more Beta Alanine, something between 2-2.5 grams. Beta Alanine helps to buffer acid that is generated by exercise. The lactic acid generated is what makes us get tired and it decreases our performance, strength, etc. So Beta Alanine delays fatigue and that brings several benefits to our muscles. More info about Beta Alanine here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/beta-alanine

1 gram of L-Tyrosine: Tyrosine helps to reduce and handle stress (or the perception of it). It also helps with focus, mood and other mental capacities. Even though 1 gram is acceptable, I would have liked to see a bit more amount, considering they aren't using the best form of L-Tyrosine I've tried (N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine). So a full dose of 2 grams would have been better.

1 gram of Taurine: Taurine is one of those ingredients that it's difficult to determine its effectiveness. Taurine improves blood flow so that's a benefit for nutrient delivery to muscles. Taurine also helps with Focus, anxiety and I've always seen it as the one that controls Caffeine. It supports the Central Nervous System so yes, it helps to handle Caffeine and keep it under control. Acceptable amount. More benefits and info about Taurine here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/taurine

275mg of Caffeine: Caffeine gives us energy, reduces our perception of muscular and mental fatigue, etc. Even though I can handle +300mg Caffeine well, I see as positive when preworkouts use 250-275mg of Caffeine because it tells me they are trusting the other ingredients added to help me with energy and that they don't rely exclusively on Caffeine to give me energy. If you constantly need more than 300mg of Caffeine to give you energy, then it's probably time to take some time off from Caffeine. More info about Caffeine here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/caffeine

100 mg of Theanine: It helps us relax. Why put a relaxing effect in a preworkout? Well, because not everything is about more and more. It's also about control. Theanine helps to keep Caffeine under control. It also works well together with Caffeine so it's a win-win. Also remember stress is produced when we exercise so it helps to deal with that. More info about Theanine here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/theanine

5mg of Bioperine: Bioperine enhances absorption of several ingredients by slowing the metabolism of the ingredients and making them stay longer in the body so that would mean the benefits will stay for a longer time and the body will be able to absorb it better. The thing is it hasn't been tried with some preworkout ingredients so this is just in theory. It has been proven in several vitamins, Curcumin, etc, though. More studies need to be done. What if our body decides to take the ingredient to other parts of the body I didn't want to because it has been exposed for a longer time?? Anyways, More info here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/black-pepper-extract

Finally I'm done, that's all the ingredients. Overall, great dose and ingredients. After effectiveness, we will see what can be better...

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*TASTE: The BEST thing of UXO Preworkout V2 is the taste. I'm in love with the taste. I went to the heaven of flavors and returned to Earth just to write the review <3 hahaha. Flavor's name is "Blue Frost". It's the only flavor they have right now. If they decide to make other flavors, hopefully they are this awesome too.

*MIXABILITY: Excellent, never gave me problems mixing it and the powder's conservation was excellent too, never clumped.

*DOSING: First few days, I took 1 scoop (half serving) just to see how it worked with 1 scoop. But normal dose is 2 scoops (1 serving) with 6-8oz water 30-45 minutes before working out. I would recommend consuming it 45 minutes before just in case the Citrulline Malate sends you to a bathroom trip lol.

EFFECTIVENESS

Yea yea, I know I took too long to reach this section. Before starting, I'll say that I took this with only half-serving (1 scoop) for a few couple of days just to see how effective it was with half-serving. I was expecting average results with that half-serving and yes, I got average results. That's not something negative though because a full serving is 2 scoops and that's how it should be judged. My workouts are usually +2 hours (yea, a lot of time) so maybe your results will be better than mine with half-serving and also with a full serving:

1. Pump/Vascularity: My expectations with getting Pump and Vascularity were high because of the ingredients used. I usually respond well to 6 grams of Citrulline Malate and they decided to add 3 grams of Arginine AKG. I was expecting a bomb here! But I was dissapointed. That's not good news because the main attribute of this Preworkout was supposed to be the Pump/Vascularity part. This is even in the Pump section here at SR, I don't know why. Pump and Vascularity were average, a slight boost but nothing special. I was expecting way more. For some strange reason, Vascularity was sometimes better the next day than even during the workout lol. Maybe my expectations were too high? I don't know. I'm obviously judging the Vascularity/Pump when my resting time was low and my reps high, just in case you're wondering if resting time is affecting the results. I even tried adding VMI Vasogen powder (which has Agmatine as the main ingredient and also other herbs) but I wasn't able to get what I was expecting...

2. Endurance/Performance: Not everything is about Pump and Vascularity. Increasing Nitric Oxide levels also provide benefits related to endurance and performance. I think the Citrulline Malate and Arginine AKG did a better job here, along with the Beta-Alanine but Beta-Alanine has to be increased to something between 2 and 2.5 grams. I was able to recover faster between sets, decrease the burning sensation between sets, increased my number of repetitions and the thing I like the most from preworkouts: I love when they make me force myself to end a workout. I could continue training for hours and hours. That's the main benefit from preworkouts that not all are able to provide. I like when I have to tell myself to stop working out, enough is enough!

3. Strength: UXO Preworkout V2 is Creatine Free. Creatine is the favorite ingredient for Strength because it's highly effective. They decided to add 2 grams of Betaine Anhydrous. I think that it did a good job but it could have been better. Some days, I wasn't able to feel increased strength but other days I was able to feel it. Ingredients like Citrulline, Arginine and Beta-Alanine all participate in the Strength area too. I have a Creatine supplement so after trying the preworkout without Creatine for a few weeks, I decided to add Creatine. The difference was significant. It went from "good job" to "excellent job" although still not "elite". Elite level for me means when you're able to increase strength AND also feel the weight more light. Not all preworkouts get this job done, the majority doesn't IMO. So even though my strength increased with the added Creatine, the weight kept feeling very heavy.

4. Energy: It was decent. Not the best, not the worst and not average so I'm happy with that. I wasn't expecting it to be the best. 275mg of Caffeine is a good "healthy" amount so good job with it. The energy lasted my entire workout and like I said above, I had to force myself to end my workouts, that's also something positive for the energy part.

5. Focus: Focus was more than average. If they want to improve it, they will need to add other ingredients or put a better form of L-Tyrosine. 1 gram got the job done but I think there's margin to improve it, maybe with some Choline Bitartrate or using N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT).

Last week of using this, I decided to give it another chance without the added Creatine and DMHA and it worked much better than the first weeks, which is why I gave it a higher score. I was going to put something between 7-7.5, there's still something missing that doesn't make this reach the score of 8.

VALUE

UXO Preworkout Version 2 (V2) is only available right now at their own website (www.uxosupplements.com) for $35.99. They have free shipping on orders over $75. IMO, based on the price and effectiveness, the price is a little bit high, a more fair price would be something like $32 or $30 + shipping. For $35.99, I would prefer to buy other preworkouts but if I could get it for $30-32, then that would be better.

But looking at the UXO Preworkout (the original one), it has a very similar formula. The difference is that the original one has 5 grams of BCAA (V2 has none), 2 grams of Carnosyn Beta Alanine (instead of 1.6g), 300mg of Caffeine Anhydrous (instead of 275mg and not Anhydrous), Rhodiola root (V2 has none) and Yohimbe bark (V2 has none). The other ingredients are the same (6g Citrulline Malate, 3g Arginine AKG, 2g Betaine, 1g Taurine, 1g Tyrosine, 5mg Bioperine...). The UXO Preworkout original version is worth $26.99 for 20 servings. 10 less servings BUT it has 5 grams of BCAA, that's 2 supplements in 1 so that's an excellent price. If I had to choose, I would definitely buy the original version, better formula, cheaper but more complete. UXO is basically charging $10 more for 10 more servings but of a weaker formula... No idea why they removed the BCAA's and made the formula weaker.

SIDE EFFECTS

1. Happiness from the delicious taste.
2. From 30 servings, this sent me to the bathroom like 15-20 times, which is a lot. But it wasn't diarrhea or something bad, it was just the intestines moving the wastes out "in peace" lol. It's "normal" with high amounts of Citrulline Malate (although this also depends).
3. Dyes

CONCLUSION

Take into consideration that before trying this Preworkout, I had Nutrabio PRE Extreme. I've had the best results with that, the best preworkout I've taken for now. So maybe with some of my comments I'm unconsciously comparing them both, which is a little unfair. I'm happy with the results UXO Preworkout V2 gave to me although I was expecting way more from the Pump/Vascularity which was supposed to be the main attribute of this preworkout. Overall, good job!

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. Increase the Carnosyn Beta-Alanine dose. Too expensive? Then use one that is not patented, that's a possible idea.
2. Include the BCAA you removed from the original version. I don't know why you removed it in this second version but a preworkout with BCAA makes a lot of difference. Value would change a lot if you include the BCAA and still charge $35.99 because I'm basically getting 2 supplements in 1.
3. I like Yohimbe so I would like to see it in the formula too. I know some people don't like Yohimbe but I think, based on my workout routine, Yohimbe would have helped a lot with the Caffeine. Even though Energy wasn't a problem, I think Yohimbe would have made the Energy area go to the "next level". Or consider something like Synephrine instead...
4. Dyes. You use FD&C Blue 1. From what I've read (not so much), Dyes are used because they influence the perception of taste the food has to people that consume them. It's something similar to the all "$9.99" instead of "$10". Even though it's only a 1 cent difference, our perception is that the difference is way bigger, that's why companies use the 0.99, 0.50 stuff... The thing is this preworkout is not food. My shaker is black so I don't care what color the liquid is and if it was transparent, I wouldn't care either. So if the purpose of using dyes is only about the color and not the taste, then remove it, it's not necessary. But if the dye changes the taste of the flavor, then leave it as it is because the taste is amazing <3
5. Talking about flavors, consider changing the name of it to "Blue Heaven". Blue Frost sounds alright but Blue Heaven might describe it better ;)
6. Considering your experiment with Citrulline Malate and Arginine AKG unfortunately didn't work for me as expected, I would try with another combination. Maybe Arginine HCL? or instead of Arginine, use Agmatine? or Arginine Nitrate? Or Creatine Nitrate? Of course, wait for other reviews to see if it was only me because apparently it worked well for user "zbikowski88" (yea I had to copy-paste that username). I did add Agmatine to the formula sometimes and I got the same moderate results, maybe it's only me? Who knows...
7. Looking forward to your next flavor :D
  • Blue Frost: 10/10

August 27, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Pumps
  • Fully Transparent
  • 3rd Party Tested
  • No Banned Substances
  • Chemical Aftertaste

I want to thank UXO Supplements for giving me the opportunity to review Pre Workout V2. I have never tried Version 1 so I really cant compare the 2 formulas. This review will strictly be for just Version 2 without comparisons. One thing that really intrigued me before trying this out was the military background of UXO Supplements. They are funded by Veterans with Soldiers in mind, meaning they created a formula without any banned substances for military standards. During the duration of this review I was training 5-6 days a week: Cardio first thing in the morning and Weight training in the evening.

The ingredient profile is fully transparent and contains around 9 main ingredients. All of these ingredients are commonly found in other pre-workout products and it doesn't take much research to find out what each does. One thing I do like about the scoop size is that it gives you 2 different options: 1 scoop = 1/2 serving and 2 scoops = 1 full serving. The label does in fact give you the amounts for 1 and 2 scoops which is nice for those like me who suck at math.

For the most part the dosages are pretty good for 1 serving (2 scoops).... You are getting 6g Citrulline Malate and 3g of L-Arginine AKG which both help with muscle pumps. There is also 2g Betaine Anhydrous, 1.6g CarnoSyn, 1g L-Tyrosine, 1g Taurine, 275mg Caffeine, 100mg L-Theanine and 5g BioPerene to help with absorption. All in all its a basic formula without any un-knowns.

Taste 6/10 - For this review I received the Blue Frost flavor which is the only one available right now. It did have a nice blueberry taste at first however there was a noticeable chemical aftertaste.

Mixability 7/10 - I didn't really notice anything wrong with mixing in regards to clumping or settlement. However they do use FD&C Blue 1 which stained my shaker cup with a blue tint.

Dosing - You can go 1 of 2 ways with dosing - I mixed 1 serving (2 scoops) with 8 oz of water 30 min before training. You can mix 1 scoop (1/2 serving) before training sessions if your building tolerance.

In terms of effectiveness this was a middle of the road pre-workout for myself. There were days where I really felt it helped me with training and other days where there wasn't much. The biggest thing for me was the muscle pumps with 6g of Citrulline Malate and 3g of AKG, I really felt this area during leg and back days. My muscle felt like inflated balloons and my veins were popping.

I didn't see/feel much in terms of increased focus, 100-200mg is a pretty typical dose of L-Theanine so I was surprised. When the added energy boost was there it was clean and there was no crash. The boost wasn't anything substantial but it was a slight increase.

This formula wasn't bad but it wasn't great, it got the job done most days. I would say this formula would be a good start for a person who has a low stim tolerance or is beginning to use pre-workouts

The cheapest value I could find was on the UXO Supplements website for $39.99 down from $44.99. Your paying a price of around $1.33 for a full serving (30 servings) or if you only need 1/2 scoop (60 servings) then your paying around 0.67 cents. In my honest opinion this is a bit high for a basic pre-workout. I can understand if your military and you don't want to get popped for a banned substance during a pee test. If the price went down to around $1 a serving I could see myself possibly buying a tub.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I was really on the fence of whether I should give this a yes or meh recommendation. However after doing some thinking I decided to give it a yes based on these facts... Your getting a fully transparent formula with known ingredients that work. There are no banned substances and its been 3rd party tested. Its more suitable for a someone who is using a pre-workout for the first time.
  • Blue Frost: 6/10