7 Blend Reviews

By: UXO Supplements

Protein > Blended Protein
7 Blend is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by UXO Supplements. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

October 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 7 Sources Of Protein
  • Tastes Good
  • Mixes Easily
  • Low Protein Ratio
  • Higher Carbs And Calories
Special thanks to UXO Supplements for the hook up on this product. One of the newer revelations in post workout supplementation is that a protein blend is more beneficial for you after your workout than an isolate, contrary to the popular narrative and conventional wisdom that was. So a good quality protein blend becomes more of a necessity than just something to take in-between meals or before bed time. Here's a look at how UXO's protein blend product stacks up:

Dosage

Two scoops (one serving) taken after workout.

Ingredient Profile (7.5/10)

UXO's protein blend consists of 7 different types of protein sources: whey concentrate, whey isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, egg whites, and whey hydrosate. A wide array of sources all with variable absorption rates to keep a constant flow of protein being delivered. It's pretty hard to beat the formula as far as a blend goes, the only thing I'd like to see is how much of each protein source we are getting.

Overall you get 24 grams of protein per 44 gram two scoop serving, so you're at a 55% protein ratio which is a little low on the spectrum even for being a blend. 180 calories, 6 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs, with 4 coming from sugar and 5 as fiber. The carb and calorie conscious consumer or contest prepper will probably not care for this nutritional layout, but for the average Joe like me, it's just fine.

Mixture (9/10)

Despite being a diverse blend, I did not run into any issues with mixing. Your standard few good shakes in a shaker and you were good to go. I used 12 ounces of water with my two scoops and it was nice and smooth and went down easy.

Taste (8/10)

This was an interesting flavor for me as I got the Frozen Cappuccino flavor, something I've never tried before. I was pretty impressed with its flavor and it gave off a nice aroma as well each time I popped off the lid. Since I'm a man and have never had a real Cappuccino I don't know if it tastes like the genuine item, but I imagine it's pretty close based off of its smell.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

I've said it a million times, but here is a million and one: To me, a protein powder is a foundation on which to build your recovery and nutrition off of. With that, I feel this is a decent product. As I said before it's a little low on the protein ratio spectrum so I do mark down a little for that. I'm not so concerned with the added calories and macros associated with this product, but I do see where that could be a point of contention for some. Overall this product provides a blend of good protein sources, and a healthy dose of fiber so it still manages a respectable score as far as effectiveness goes.

Value (6/10)

As of right now, it looks like the only place to cop this is UXO's own website at $44.99 for 30 servings, or about $1.50 per serving. The price tag is a little high for something that isn't particularly special, so while I did like this product it's availability and price make it something I wouldn't want to go out and purchase as there are equal or greater products at more competitive prices. There is a 20% sale on the website currently, and it looks like you also get a free tub of creatine along with it, so at this sale price and deal I will say that is the exception.

Conclusion and Verdict

UXO's 7 Blend is a diverse protein blend using good protein sources. Although a little low in protein ratio and high in calorie and carbs I still liked it. It's mixes well and tastes good, but the price tag and limited availability ultimately make this a product that I would simply give the "meh" rating to with the caveat that it is not a bad product.
  • Frozen Cappuccino: 8/10

August 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 7 Sources Of Protein
  • Keeps You Full
  • Clean Profile
  • Amazing Taste
It'd been a while since I'd run any type of protein other than standard whey concentrate, so when UXO offered up several tubs of their Pro Blend, I figured I'd give it a shot. I was fortunate enough to be able to try three UXO products at the end of the day - thanks to UXO for participating in the Troopers program.

This protein is built on a solid foundation. 24g of protein from seven protein sources. Obviously the most prominent protein in the profile is whey concentrate, but overall Pro Blend hits you with three extended release, two medium release, and two immediate release proteins. Carbs (12g) and sugars (4g) per serving are slightly higher than I normally like to see, but are still comparable to other products. And aside from the protein, this is a clean, no frills ingredient profile which I personally prefer.

I believe I actually requested the Cappuccino flavor but ended up received Strawberry Milkshake. Now, if you read any of my other protein reviews, you'll read that I am chocolate protein purist through and through. It's been years since I've had a fruit-flavored protein powder so I'll admit, I was skeptical. Boy was I wrong. This protein is DELICIOUS. Even when mixed in water the taste was light and creamy. Amazing. And honestly this tasted like a legit store-bought strawberry milkshake when blended up with a banana, ice, and some almond milk.

Actually, all three of UXO's products that I ran tasted incredible. These boys have got taste and flavoring nailed down tight. As for mix-ability, this powder is very fine and just LOOKS high quality. Mixed easily with almost no clumping or foaming.

I recently resumed an Intermittent Fasting eating protocol and thus used Pro Blend as my bridge "meal" between lunch and dinner.

I think my last two protein reviews I've quoted Petey on his stance on protein effectiveness as it mirrors my own. I'll do so again here: "I would strongly challenge someone to give a valid reasoning for saying that one protein is more effective than another in how much they gained from it. The minuscule differences that are noted by a user outside of a lab environment are overblown by saying a certain protein is more effective than another."

In my opinion protein powder is a staple of a well-balanced diet and should be used in conjunction with a solid exercise regimen. And that, provided the product is not total garbage, you'll see results regardless of the product you're using provide the diet and workout plan are dialed in.

What I will say about Pro Blend is I absolutely noticed a difference in my hunger and appetite levels on days when I did have a shake vs. those when I did not. I was far less hungry in those late afternoon hours on days when I had a shake, which I directly attributed to the medium and slow release proteins in this product. This was honestly really helpful me in re-adapting to the IF protocol, and proved to me that the product did indeed meet its claims of providing a longer period of protein synthesis.

Pro Blend is not widely available. I was only able to find it on UXO's site at $40 for 30 servings - $1.33 per serving. This is the same price as NutraBio's Muscle Matrix, and is comparable to RC's Pro-Antium and ON's Pro Complex. Now, the profile of Pro Blend isn't quite as flashy as some of these other blended protein supplements, but unless you really want extra creatine or BCAAs in your protein, I don't see this as a negative.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I really enjoyed Pro Blend. It's one of the best tasting proteins I've had in a long time and, judging based on my feelings of fullness, it was effective at releasing protein into my body over an extended period of time - exactly what you want from a protein blend. The price point is fair and I really appreciate the mission of UXO as a company. High marks from me all around.

August 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 7 Sources Of Protein
  • Tastes Good

First off I want to thank UXO Supplements for letting us troopers have the chance to try this product. This will be my first time ever using any UXO products. This is a little different than your normal Whey protein because in this you are getting 7 different kinds of proteins. I like to do blended proteins once in awhile to change things up and figured this would be great to have for in the mornings to help me on my recovery and help to fuel me up more.

In this you get 7 different proteins Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Milk Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Egg Whites, and Whey Hydrolysate.

Medium release proteins you get is Egg Protein and Milk Protein Isolate fuels your body with amino acids for 1 hours (90 minutes).

Extended Release protein you get is Micellar Casein and Calcium Caseinate take much longer to digest. You get a full 4 hour release of amino acids. This makes these proteins ideal for appetite control.

Immediate Release Proteins you get is Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Concentrate & Glutamine Peptides are absorbed within 30 minutes after you consume them.

You get 24g of timed released proteins, Over 5g of BCAAs from protein to increase protein synthesis and improve lean muscle mass and enhance muscle recovery, Includes necessary vitamins to increase metabolic functions and increase energy, CLA to promote fat loss, and 5g of Dietary Fibers to support healthy digestion.

This comes in two flavors Strawberry milkshake and Frozen Cappuccino. Since I can't stand anything coffee flavored I had to go with the strawberry milkshake. I thought it tasted pretty good. Had a nice light strawberry taste to it. If you happen to use to much water it really gave it a bit more of that water down taste to it which I did not like. This is not real heavy on taste but has more of a lighter strawberry milkshake taste to it. You should have no issues at all wanting to drink this. Also there was no weird after taste to this.

Had no issues with it mixing at all. There were no left over chunks or anything that stuck to the bottom of my shaker bottle. Everything seem to fully mix up very nicely. Since this has your slow medium and fast digesting proteins in this it can be taken at other times besides just post workout. For me I used this in the morning to help fuel me up and give me a little more recovery. It's says on the label that two scoops in one serving size.

Since this was a blend protein product I decided I would use this in the mornings before work and then do my regular protein after my workout. Since I don't eat much in the mornings for breakfast I figured this would be good for me to take to help fuel me up a little more and give me some more energy. After taking this in the mornings I felt a little more full like to where I felt like I had something in me to help fuel my body and get me going. Also I felt like I got some good energy from this to help get me going more. It was nice having the different release time proteins in this so they could hit me at different times though out the morning and help keep me going until lunch time.

Also it was nice getting these extra proteins in me to help me with any recovery I needed from my workout the day before. After I started to use this I started to feel a lot better in my body. I know my recovery seemed to be a lot better and I felt a lot less sore and my DOMs were way less. Never had any gut issues when taking this. This seemed to be very good on my stomach and never did I get any upset stomach from this. I know this has some dietary fibers in this to help with healthy digestion and I feel they helped with this. Had no unwanted bathroom issues while taking this. While I was on this I noticed I not feeling as bloated. My stomach seemed to feel and look a little more flatter which was nice.

Also I notice they do have some CLA in this to help with fat loss. I feel I did trim up a little more while I was on this and was able to gain a little more muscle mass instead of feeling and looking all bloated like. Normally my weight likes to stay around the same weight all the time (195lbs) and will maybe go up or down a few pounds and that's it. I would like to increase my weight some and put more muscle mass on but for me that is hard to do that because then I start to get a lot more bloated and that I don't always like. I guess to put on more weight it's hard to do without feeling all bloated like.

Right now UXO products are only available through their website. On UXO website they want $49.99 for 30 servings. I think the price is way too high for a smaller size container like this. I would really like to see some other sites start carrying this product like because it would really help to lower the price a bit. I know this is a blended protein and they usually cost more but this is just to high for me. This comes out to about $1.66 per serving.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

I don't normally use blended proteins but they are nice to have once in awhile. I was rather pleased with this and how it worked for me. I feel this has a good solid profile and it works. I would really like to see some other sites start carrying this product line and plus it would help to lower the prices a bit. If your looking to try something a little different in protein blends I would recommend giving this a try. I know this would be a product I would try again if I am in the need of this kind of protein again but first the price would have to drop a bit. Again I want to give a big shout out to UXO Supplements for making this product and letting me try it.