U-Omega Reviews

By: Utzy Naturals

U-Omega is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Utzy Naturals. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

Overall
Overall
6.8
5.5
Thanks to Utzy Naturals for sending it out!
  July 12, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Natural Triglyceride Format
  • High EPADHA Content

Fish oil has been a supplement that I have been taking on and off for years. I started taking it a long time ago when I first got into running. Fish oil much like multivitamins are a foundational supplement that I (and many people) take. However, there is some debate as to whether you actually need them. Regardless of that, I still take them. So, when Utzy put up their U-Omega fish oil product I had to try it. Here is the review.

Utzy U-Omega comes in a glass 60 capsule bottle. Each softgel contains 15 calories, 1.5 g of fat, and 800 mg of omega-3 fatty acids. The EPA content is 430 mg, the DHA content is 290 mg, and other omega-3 fatty acids are 80 mg. The Omega-3 content of these softgels is good and on par with other products. For example, Omega Jym per softgel has 375 DHA and 375 EPA, which is close to U-Omega. The one thing I want to mention with U-Omega that I did not like was most fish oil supplements have the total fish oil listed on the label. U-Omega does not but I am presuming the 1.5g of fat means that there are 1.5g of total fish oil in the softgel. This makes it easier to see the total dosage as taking too much fish oil could cause issues (GI issues, blood thinning, and immune system reduction).

The main benefits of fish oil are a reduction in high triglycerides, reduction of heart disease, ADHD, bipolar disorder, anxiety, high blood pressure, arthritis, and several others. In addition, fish oil has also been shown to aid in reduction of muscle soreness, improve exercise performance, and increase muscle strength (in older women). There was a study out of the Washington University that found that 4 g of fish oil (1.5 DHA and 1.85 g EPA) stimulated muscle protein synthesis in older adults (1). The dosage of fish oil varies but for athletic performance, I have seen dosages range from 2-4 g of Omega-3s. Now, the actual dosage of the fish oil product will vary since different products have different ratios. For U-Omega, you are looking at three pills to reach that amount (I took two mostly and sometimes three).

One major thing to note with U-Omega is that they are in the natural triglyceride form. This form has more bioavailability over the other fish oil form of ethyl ester. Triglyceride fish oils are more natural and the preferred fish oil type. I should also note that U-Omega is manufactured in an NSF facility and Utzy has significant quality assurance. This includes testing every lot for strength, purity, composition, and contaminates (https://www.utzy.com/pages/quality).

These are softgel so there really is not much of a taste. I will note that they did smell like fish with a little lemon smell. This is standard for fish oil softgels. I had no fish burps while taking these but I always took them with food. As far as dosing goes, I varied my dosages. I always took two softgels for 1600 Omega-3s. There were some days that I took three especially when I ran and weight lifted. As stated previously the desired dosage is 2-4 g of omega-3s but as long as I am close to 2g I notice a difference.

The three major things I noticed with this product were a reduction of DOMS/inflammation, clearer skin, and an increased well-being. One of the main reasons I first started taking fish oil was for joint and muscle soreness from running. Prior to using U-Omega, I noticed that my knees would be more sore than usual. However, when taking U-Omega I noticed a reduction in my knee soreness when running especially when doing hill work. In the gym, I noticed that my recovery was slightly improved above baseline (baseline is taking BCAA and protein). I also noticed a reduction in my right shoulder pain when doing push exercises.

As for clearer skin, I did not notice this until after I finished taking U-Omega (it was always there I just did not notice). Right after finishing U-Omega, I noticed a decline in my skin quality. It was slight but I broke out a little across my body. Now, I think U-Omega was helping in this regard but it could have been the weather as well. It recently got hot and humid here and I have been adding in AM/PM cardio outside so I have been sweating a lot more. So, that could have something to do with the decline but I do think U-Omega helped with my skin quality. As for increased well-being, I noticed that my mood was slightly improved while taking U-Omega. It was nothing huge but I noticed that I was less stressed over the course of the bottle (it is summer break so that could have also contributed to it as well). Overall, in all three areas I felt that U-Omega was on par with previous quality fish oil products I have taken but surpassed Kirkland and GNC fish oils.

U-Omega retails for $27.70 making it $0.46 per softgel, I mostly took two so my dosage was a total of $0.92 per day ($1.38 on days I took three). These are on the expensive side. Comparing them to Omega Jym you are looking at $0.33 for a two per day dosage. Nordic Naturals goes for $0.57 per two-pill serving with slightly lower Omega-3s. Intelligent Labs Omega 3 you are looking at $0.49 for two pills each day. Overall, Utzy U-Omega is quite expensive compared to the competition. Now, the other companies do not state that they are NSF, GOED Omega Members, or friends of the sea. In addition, I am unsure if they go through the amount of quality assurance that Utzy claims to do (they probably do). So, I think you have to weigh out what is important to you. I know personally while I liked U-Omega it just is too expensive to use and I will choose a different brand going forward.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Utzy U-Omega is an effective fish oil product. I noticed a reduction in inflammation/DOMS, clearer skin, and an increase in overall well-being. I dosed mostly two pills per day and on some days I took three. The main issue that I have with U-Omega is the price. It is significantly more expensive than other brands. If Utzy's quality assurance, NSF certificication, GOED Omega Membership status, and friend of the sea certification appeal to you then they may be worth a try. However, understand you are spending quite a bit more. I would like to thank Utzy for sending out the product and the Trooper Program for coordinating it.

-Xcmiler

(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21159787

Overall
Thanks to Utzy Naturals for sending it out!
  July 9, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Natural Triglyceride Format
  • High EPADHA Content

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I'm hoping to get back on the platform in November (was going to compete in June, but got myself hurt). Right now, I'm training 6 days a week doing an upper/lower split and my typical stack is protein powder, creatine, multi-vitamin, fish oil, pre-workout, and curcumin.

Each capsule has 800mg omega 3s, 710 are from EPA/DHA, which is what most people care about. The American Heart Association does not have a recommended amount of omega 3s for the general public; they only give recommendations for people with certain risk factors. From what I've read though, 250-500mg EPA/DHA a day is sufficient for general health purposes, so Utzy gets the job done on this front.

The fish oil is sourced from anchovy, sardine, and mackerel. Utzy uses young, small fish because they have shorter life spans, which usually means fewer contaminants than larger, fish (salmon, tuna, etc).

The fish oil is also in natural triglyceride form which means its more bioavailable than the synthetic ethyl ester fish oil that many other companies use. This means you don't need as much of it to get the benefits of fish oil supplementation.

Some bodybuilders mega dose their fish oil, taking in 2-3g omega 3s a day. I believe this is because the products they are using are synthetic, and if they switched to a natural triglyceride form, they may find that they do not need as much fish oil to get the same benefits.

Utzy uses "natural flavoring" for the lemon, but I don't know what exactly they use.

I didn't taste anything. I do keep my fish oil in the freezer to prevent fish burps and to keep it from going rancid, so that may be why I didn't taste anything. I didn't need fish oil caps to taste good. I just don't want my fish oil products to actually taste like fish. Neutral is fine by me.

There's no mixability.

One dose is 1 pill. They're medium size, fairly easy to swallow. I take one pill with breakfast every day. It's beneficial to take fish oil with a meal that already has dietary fat for improved absorption.

It's a bit hard to gauge the effectiveness of a fish oil product as it's not something that you feel working like you would a pre-workout for example, but fish oil is a well studied supplement that provides a myriad of benefits, ranging from reduced triglycerides and blood pressure to reduced symptoms of depression. As long as you're getting a quality fish oil product, i.e. one that is well dosed, low in contaminants, and is not rancid, you should be getting a number of benefits from its use.

I can say, though, that my joints have appreciated this product. I noticed that my shoulders and knees have been less achy over the past month. I do squat and press 3 times a week, so this is a common problem for me.

This is an expensive product. One bottle is $27.70 (10% off if you subscribe), and I could not find it for sale anywhere other than from the manufacturer. One bottle is 60 servings, so you're at $0.46/day.

Oximega, a common fish oil product in the bodybuilding world, is $18 for 60 servings, which has you at $0.30 a day.

I wouldn't, though, say that Utzy's product is overpriced. Utzy is a member of GOED, the Global Organization for EPA and DHA Omegas and Controlled Labs is not. This means that Utzy's product is subject to random testing to ensure that it meets its EPA/DHA label claims, has uniform unit dosing, limits any presence of heavy metals and other contaminants, is using a natural triglyceride form, and meets other specifications listed in GOED's monograph.

I'm not bashing CL at all. I like their product, but Utzy is subjecting itself to the strictest omega 3 testing organization in the world, it must pay to be apart of that organization, and that all has to be reflected in the price. Utzy has to charge more than Controlled Labs to deliver what all it does.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you want a premium fish oil product, then I'd consider Utzy. It's going to be pricier than many other products on the market, but with the higher price comes peace of mind. Their product is well sourced, low in contaminants, has uniform dosages, and is high in EPA/DHAs. You can't really ask for more; well it would be nice if it was more widely available.