Ranks #36 (better than 71%)
In: Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Modern BCAA+ is a BCAA manufactured by USPlabs. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for misleading marketing and misinformation.

texasmade89
  June 9, 2015

I’m on my 3rd tub of modern BCAA by USP labs. I can still remember months ago, the first time I took a scoop of this. I had just finished my workout and my body was giving out but I still wanted to keep going. I took a scoop of this and started lightly jogging on the treadmill. Before I knew it the muscle fatigue had lifted, not only that but I actually felt like I could push harder. You got your extra endurance and energy (go electrolytes!). This product does what it says. I have come home feeling ‘dead’ if you will from workouts with trainers who compete; laid on my bed thought “f*** this never again”, drank 4 scoops of Modern and was brought back to life. Not sure why I went to 4, most likely because if 2 didn’t work I wasn’t going to want to get up to get another one.

Something else that makes it stand out is the addition of electrolytes. I always threw in electrolytes when I do cardio (all the time) so I can keep working out after I finish. To me, the electrolyte blend is the icing on the cake.
I lift a lot of heavy weight at my job so I take two scoops after work; this has had me in a major way maintain my workout schedule while balancing kids, crazy job, and keeping my wife happy. Sometimes I will be throwing down pushups in the house and I will hit 200 and be hurting; all I have to do is get a little bit of that white powder if you know what I mean.

Taste-I always use the blue raspberry; it’s good considering its got 15 grams of amino acid plus electrolytes. I throw in some Simply Lemonade; my usual mix.

Mixability- Takes a little more mixing, although this is to be expected considering the BCAA content and the nature of the product.

Price-My first instinct is to say it needs to be cheaper but you usually don’t need as much you do with other products so I’m content with the price. I pay $29.99 at the Vitamin Shoppe but seeing some of the prices listed on the site; the price is without a doubt more than reasonable.

Using Modern BCAA, I’m rarely if ever sore. It truly works for recovery and it’s easy to get down multiple scoops. When I go to the gym I have to go hard and go everyday; if I don’t get throw weights around I sometimes take out all my craziness on my co-workers or those around me. Not to get sentimental that’s just the way it is. With that said, you will always see me with Modern (BCAA); I got to get a workout in. I work out some body part or at least do cardio every day, so I need that level of recovery. If you are interested in working out longer or more intensely this will help. When I clicked to post my review I saw a 9.1 for it. I thought “wow, exactly”. Pardon my French but this stuff is my sh**.
    Feeds
      November 21, 2014

----Introduction----
    30 year old male, mix between power lifting and body building. I follow IIFYM. Guy at the gym told me to try this actually said it tastes great and it's great for recovery, so i figured why not.

----Ingredient Profile----
    7/10. Sodium, Potassium, and a Big Ol proprietary blend. I wish it wasn't a big secret of how much of each were put in but I guess it is. Although the label clearly states what is in the blend it gives a general 15g for the blend. ingredients BCAA+ Blend(Micronized L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine), L-Alanine, Taurine, Glycine, L-Lysine HCI, L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine(sustamine)

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    8/10 Easy, Grape Bubble gum taste just how I would imagine grape bubble gum would taste. Mixed very well. no issues with that.

----Effectiveness----
    Can't say I noticed anything remarkable with this. I did notice in the break between being off bcaas and being on there is a bit faster recovery with it than with out. so I give it a 6/10.

----Value----
    got off of bb.com for if i remember correctly 28$. worked out to be about 1.87$ a serving. on the expensive side. i'd give it a 4/10 for that reason

----Side Effects----
    9/10 none, besides gains bra. no seriously i didn't notice any

----Conclusion----
    in conclusion. 6/10, would I buy it again? probably not.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • No Artificial Coloring
    brn2reign
    Rep: 0
      July 23, 2014

About me:
    Training for men's physique. Weight train 7 days/week and cardio 2x/day (steady state & HIIT). Weight has only fluctuated about 3 pounds in the past several months with obvious signs of body fat loss. All natural competitor.

Taste & mix:
    The taste isn't at all over powering and taste good, but nothing to brag about. The blue raspberry flavor is the only one I've tried. Unfortunately, this doesn't mix well at all. Usually you have to let it set for a bit to allow the white granular foam to dissolve. Not a good trait especially if you are trying to drink it immediately.

Side Effects:

Other Supplements:
    I usually buy this BCAA when my local store doesn't carry Nubreed Helix BCAA (ice tea). The helix definitely has a taste to brag about, but if you are looking for muscle maintenance then you are just as good with USPlabs.

Value:
    As mentioned above, this product is my second choice and it's usually bought when it's on sale.

The main reason I like this product is because it's all natural. No artificial coloring or sweeteners. Just be sure you read the label and it says natural on it. They do make one with artificial coloring so just be aware.
      BillyBourne
      Rep: 0
        November 27, 2013

Hi Guys,

I am going to taker my time with this review, as the newer version (flavour) of this product has changed my mind.

First off, I have used Modern BCAA several times as the ingredient profile is very good. There source their Amino Acids in Japan under the Sustamine production line. What this is essentially is a very high quality form of BCAA's that absorb far better, than other BCAA's.

All the science aside, this product works brilliantly. However, up until recently my review would have been quiet negative! Although the ingredient profile and nutritionals are extremely good, the taste of the product was a major let down. But they have now released a Watermellon flavour, which is awesome.

So here's my review broken down:

Ingredient Profile: 10/10
      Fantastic!!! High levels of Leucine at an 8:1:! Ratio with Isoleucine and Valine. A great product in terms of Ingredients.

Mix-ability: 5/10
      The older versions weren't very good. Due to the high levels of aminos, the product would froth like crazy when mixed. It even states this on the tub. However, if you use water that isn't too cold, and don't shake it like crazy, it tends to be ok. As the powder is micronized, you do not have to shake it too much anyway.

Taste: 1/10 - 10/10
      As i mentioned above, this review could have been very negative, if I hadn't tried the new Watermellon flavour. Both the Grape and Blue Raspbery were shocking bad. I hated them!!! Hence the 1/10.
      However, the new Watermellon is lovely, nearly as good as Watermellon Xtend!!! I give the Water Mellon 10/10.

Great Product profile, and works!!! I used this when Intermittend Fasting, and I loved the results I got using it. Much leaner and strength and energy improved.

Slightly expensive here in Ireland. But still ok. Can get Xtend for less, that's why I only scored it an 7.

The new flavour is lovely, the profile is excellent and with the mixablity under control, I think this is one of the best BCAA's on the market. It comes a close second to Xtend in my book and I will be buying it again.... just not the Grape or Raspberry flavours.
      • Watermellon Is Brilliant
      • Grape And Raspberry Are Horrible And Mixing Could Be A Lot Better.
      tiktik
        November 8, 2013

I am a huge fan of BCAA's for a couple of reasons.
      Muscle preservation during fasted state and calorie deficit diet, Muscle growth potential increase due to the interaction of Leucine and it's brother Isoleucine and Valine. Aside from that the factor in which the rate of recovery is improved as well as endurance.

I strictly use these specifically for Intra workout.
      Whether it be deadlift marathon session, or your super awesome quick tiring HIIT session, these baby just LOVES, to help you out.

There are many contenders competing to be the best branch chain amino out there, and out of all that I have tried out so far, This beat them all by miles.

I'm running a Cyclic Ketogenic diet, which involves the concept of low carb, high fat, high protein diet.
      Leaving the body to be potentially more vulnerable to the concept of muscle breakdown than the norm. So in training, especially in the longer session, the factor of muscle breakdown becomes a little more valid than usual. And thus BCAA's come into play.

Profile : 9/10

Proprietary blend 15G (15000 mg) Allowing for 30 true servings.

Micronized 8:1:1 BCAA Blend:

L-Alanine

Glycine

L-Alanyl-LGlutamine (Sustamineâ„¢)

Electrolyte blend 654mg
      Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride.

Other ingredients include:
      Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Sucralose, Silicon Dioxide

The only setback I see is the proprietary blend which hide the true profile.But 15 g of BCAA blend in an 8:1:1 ratio means your getting your moneys worth.

Taste/Mixability 9/10

I took advantage of BB.com 2+1 deal which dropped the price down to like 18 bucks a piece per unit with shipping. ( I think that's right)
      Anyway they litmit you to only one flavor though so I only had the chance to try out watermelon.
      regard less its pretty awesome. Mixes super well, a little foamy, but that's typically true of BCAA.

Taste like watermelon jolly rancher. Yup I think that's accurate.

The main meat of what you guys read these reviews for, aside from of course the persona each of us have in our written word.

Er..

SO, after a full tub the effects include:
      Increase recovery/decrease soreness. Absolutely awesome in this department. Even on a 2 a day session I'm usually not limb locked the next day.
      Muscle preservation: it's really showing it's effect. In conjunction with the CKD definition have started to show up. I look slimmer, but my weight for the most part haven't move too rapidly from week to week, physical strength haven't diminished too much either.

Another note on 8:1:1 ratio. A proof for the presence of leucine is in the ability to accelerate the body into Ketosis from a replenish state.

After a particular refeed, the combination of MBCAA+ and HIIT training dropped me back into ketosis in a single day. That's after 400g+ of carbs. It literally astound me.

I got this on BB.com 2+1 deal which dropped the price down to 18 bucks a tub. Awesome stuff, great price what's to complain. Normal listting is at 27 bucks for a tub on the same site.

Overall 9/10
      This is by far my favorite of the bunch. Mix well, taste pretty sweet, sweet recovery/decrease in soreness, Helps accelerate into ketosis. Plus your typical muscle preservation ability.

Sweet lady. She's beautiful.

rior
        October 23, 2013

BCAAs are pretty fundamental to any exercise training as it offsets catabolism among providing a lot of benefits. I'm going to skip explaining all the reasons why and just get to the review.

==VALUE: 10/10==
      I gave this a 10, purely on the fact that I got a 2-for-1 deal at my store. However, it is still competitively priced against competition like Amino1 or Xtend

==EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10==
      I'm always skeptical of people who say "builds muscle" as a general PRO, because let's be honest: the amount of lean muscle tissue you can put on in a year is in the single digits. And there's really no clear way to make an instant objective measurement - and then specifically attribute that to 1 supplement. HOWEVER, I will say this: it drastically improved my endurance and recovery.

For example: usually after leg day - my legs are wrecked for the next 4-4.5 days. During that time, my walk looks like a cross between Forrest Gump and a Velociraptor.

After taking ModernBCAA+ regularly : (morning + intra/postworkout) - I definitely noticed a significant improvement in recovery time (accross days AND between sets).

*IMPORTANT TO NOTE* - these BCAAs are "Micronized" - which basically means it's been broken into smaller chains (like a peptide), allowing for faster absorption.

==TASTE - Fruit Punch: 8/10==
      The taste wasn't bad. No complaints.

==MIXABILITY: 7/10==
      I've tried a few BCAAs and tbh, none of the mix well. You will get some froth form at the top, but this eventually settles. It will also a linger a bit on the sides of your cup. Not ideal, but not surprising either.

In summary, I liked this product and will continue to purchase it.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Helps Recovery
        Brotein
        TROOPer Level: 38
          August 3, 2013

What's up SR broskis! Coming at you with my second review ever and it's on USP Labs Modern BCAA+. I had been aware of BCAA supplements before but skeptical of their usefulness, and as such this is the first BCAA/Amino I have ever added to my regime.

I think I had unrealistic expectations for what this would do for me in the beginning, but after going through a full tub and halfway through another, I tempered my expectations and realized what this would provide. I've been meaning to write this one up for a while now and I'll just let the rest of my review do the talking.

Profile: (8/10)

Any time there is a Proprietary Blend it'll receive a lower score from me, but that doesn't mean it wasn't properly dosed. I understand the need to keep your formula unique to the company and with 15g of total aminos, I don't feel like the essential BCAAs would be underdosed.

L-Alanine, L-Taurine, L-Lysine, L-Glycine, L-Glutamine and an Electrolyte Blend comprised of Sodium Citrate and Potassium Chloride accompany an 8:1:1 ratio of L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine. The profile looks good on paper, I can tell you that much.

Dosing:
        Very simple here, just 2 scoops and you're good to go. I played around with this as many ways as I possibly could, including a full serving preworkout, a full serving postworkout, half pre and half post, half intra and half post, etc. but I found it to be most effective for me when I used the full serving during my workout.

Effectiveness: (8/10)

As I said, I think my expectations at the beginning were a little unrealistic. I was expecting some sort of miraculous recovery product that would completely mitigate my DOMS, but I soon decided this was a bit far-fetched. As a matter of fact, my DOMS were the worst they've been in recent memory but I've also been lifting harder than ever.

However, the more I used this, the more I found out about what this product COULD do for me, and that was to provide a nice needed kick of endurance, especially during fasted morning sessions. I often found myself pushing out 2-3 more reps during every set when I did take this as opposed to when I forgot to bring it along with me or simply chose not to.

2-3 reps may not seem like much, but I consider them invaluable as 2-3 more this time may lead to 4-5 more the next time. Needless to say, once I figured out what this could do for me, I liked it quite a bit. The added electrolytes were also a nice bonus, helping to keep me hydrated throughout.

Mixability/Taste:

Blue Raspberry: (9/10)

I really enjoyed this flavor. Not too sweet but just sweet enough. Unlike samples of a few other amino products that I've tried that were overly sweet, I found MBCAA+ to be very refreshing and satisfying to drink.

Fruit Punch: (7/10)

I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that Fruit Punch flavored products just aren't my favorite. There was nothing wrong with this flavor by any means, I just didn't enjoy it as much as Blue Raspberry.

I had no problems with mixability for either of these, just 20 ounces of water and a shaker cup and you're good to go. The occasional swirl during use helps as well. The best part was that there were no artificial colors and it mixed clearly.

Value: (8/10)

You can easily find this for under $1 per serving which is A-Okay by me. It won't break your bank and as long as you know what to expect from it, you will be pleased with what you get for your money.

Overall: (8/10)

It's safe to say that I enjoyed this product. Between the added endurance during my workouts, the great taste, solid profile and lack of artificial colors, I'd definitely recommend this as a good BCAA/Amino product for anyone who hasn't tried one before as I had. I consider this a good addition to my cutting stack and I will continue to use this product in the future.

IronBrother
          July 28, 2013

Okay, i dont see many reviews on the BCAA+ formula from USPLabs, so i thought i would chime in. I have been through 3 tubs of this during the seasons cut and have loved it and then some. I have always trusted USPLabs to the fullest and this product is one of the main reasons i stand behind them.

Taste/Mixability - 9. I have had Fruit Punch and Watermelon, both were stunning and absolutely tasty during cardio, no complaints. Mixability was fine.

Effectiveness - 9. You cant really tell effectiveness from one BCAA rpoduct to another, but ive dropped 7% body fat down to under 8, all while only dropping in the range of 1-2lbs of lean mass, so I see these BCAAs to be spot on, as expected. Also helps with recovery and was noticeable during low-carb days.

Value - 9. You can find these for under 1$/serving which is good, but the nice part is each serving is 15g of BCAAs (2scoops), so using 1 scoop (1/2 serving) isnt a bad option and did so on lower cardio days and if i wanted something tasty while running around town.

Overall - I see this to be my personal favorite, the only other BCAA product i trust fully is Xtend, but the profile doesnt compare. The price is really affordable and I have even found it on sale quite a bit lately. This product works and is very effective and tasty. USPLabs doesnt disappoint, especially with this product. I say to definitely give this a try, its a good product friends !
          Greggy32
            June 20, 2013

So as mentioned in my other (and only) review, I am a longtime USPLabs user, and it is all because of the original formula of this product. I typically use Modern BCAA intra workout and then have a side stash of Xtend if I feel like sipping on BCAAs at any other time during the day.

-Ingredient Profile- 9
          The new formula has some added aminos, but they kept the 8:1:1 ratio for the BCAAs, which is the main thing. Unfortunately, since they added the other aminos in, and the ingredients are only shown as a prop blend, it is unclear how much of the blend is comprised of the BCAAs. Since there is 15g is the propriety blend, I think it would be fair to estimate around 8-10g is of BCAAs, which is around what the original was I believe. The added aminos are Lysine, Glycine, Taurine, Glutamine, and Alanine. The glutamine is a nice addition, and the others are also fairly proven be beneficial for anti-catabolism when your body is pushed to extremes (these extremes are not often/typically reached, however, unless you overtrain). I once did a powerlifting routine that required extra supplementation of Lysine specifically in order to reduce DOMs. It was an overtraining program specifically. Anyways, good stuff overall.

-Mixability/Texture- 9
          FINALLY! MBCAA's biggest and possibly only flaw was its inability to mix. Ever. At all. I did actually find that if I mixed the old formula with warm water at least an hour before my workout and carried my bottle around with me beforehand, it would be mixed, but who wants to go through that? FRET NOT!! The MBCAA + mixes quite well, which of course improves the texture to the point where it's like sipping on juice.

-Taste- 8
          I tried the Blue Raspberry. Not the best tasting, but I have higher expectations for the other flavors like watermelon. Overall though, I would still crave a sip between sets.

-Dosage- 9
          This is perhaps where the old and new formula differ the most. It's still just two scoops, but the scoops are much smaller. Also, each tub now only has 30 servings instead of 35. Now, assuming both contain the same amount of BCAAs per serving, you're missing out on quite a bit of branch chains! That's my only grip, especially since I like to get at least 20g of BCAAs on my really heavy/long workouts. I assume that the number of servings went down since USPLabs added in the extra aminos, so instead of increasing the price they decided to lower the serving count. Smart marketing actually since more people would notice a price change, so I suppose kudos to them, but you can't sneak that by me!

-Effectiveness- 9
          How much better this is than the original formula is hard for me discern. In the long term, same great results, same great recovery. In the short term, because of the better mixability, I felt more refreshed throughout my workouts. With the old MBCAA, I felt like I drank most of the aminos earlier on in my workout since the powder would clump at the top. So in my opinion, USPLabs managed to improve an already great product that I know is well-regarded lifting community.

-Value- 8
          Not the best value, but you can find it for around $28 a tub, which makes it less than a $1 a serving. Again, because of the dosing, this actually turns out to be a bit more expensive than the older formula, especially if you're using this mainly as a BCAA supp and not so much as an intraworkout supp.

-Overall- 9
          I'm so tempted to give this a 10. If I don't, I probably won't give anything on this website a 10. I love this stuff, but everything can be improved in some way.