smashley23

• Linked social media account

Reviews by smashley23

September 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • No Scooper

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I just came off of a two year cut. I'm prepping for a meet in November, so more food, more lifting, more gains! I train before breakfast, so my post workout meal is usually steel cut oats + protein powder + milk + fruit, so when I heard about this product, I had to jump on the Insider deal.

The ingredients do change depending on which flavor you get and the serving size changes slightly, but each one is 80 calories per serving.

Each flavor, of course, will have the Select Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate 80%) 15g along with salt (330mg), 1.5g fat, 3g carbs (2g sugar), Natural Flavoring, sucralose, and Ace K (an artificial sweetener).

The peanut and honey flavor has peanut flour, cane syrup, and honey.

Taste

I ordered a three pack, so I could use each flavor, and they all tasted good. In my opinion, the best flavor was the apple and cinnamon, 10/10. It tasted like apple and cinnamon, it was sweet without being cloyingly so, and neither flavor overpowered the other one.

The peanut and honey flavor came in second for me 8.5/10. The peanut was great, and it was salty, which I liked, but the honey flavor wasn't really there. I wish they had used no cane sugar and instead had used more honey. Then the flavors could have been better balanced.

The maple brown sugar was my least favorite, 7.5/10. It was pretty decent. It just wasn't as exciting as the other two, and although I tasted maple, I didn't get any brown sugar flavor. It is, though, probably the best flavor to use if you want to mix in fruit because it will pair well with a lot of things.

Mixability

The mixability was great for each flavor 10/10. There was no clumping or grittiness at all. Granted, warm liquids will give you better solubility, so you shouldn't have any clumping with hot oats, but I did use the apple cinnamon flavor to make pancakes, and I didn't have any mixing issues, so I do think the product was well designed in this regard.

I wish 1 scoop offered some more protein. Granted, 80 calories isn't a lot, so you can double scoop it, but the flavor will be pretty intense (especially on the apple cinnamon), and you'll run out of the product pretty quickly (each bag only has 12 servings).

I usually added some unflavored casein to boost the protein content. I try to get 30-40g protein in each meal, and if I only used 1 scoop of Protein4Oats, I'd only have about 25g. (15g from the powder, 5g from the oats, and 5g from the milk).

I also wish that it came with a scoop. None of my bags came with one. I have a food scale, but still, a scoop would have been nice.

I found this product to be quite effective. The goal for me was to make my post workout meal more enjoyable, and Protein4Oats definitely did that. It also works well in other hot applications, which gives it a nice versatility. I do like baking cookies, making pancakes, etc and it's nice to have a protein powder that's formulated to be eaten hot. I think this really helps with the taste and with the texture.

Sometimes, cooking with whey causes the product to dry out. I've had this problem when making protein pancakes, brownies (amongst other things), and the protein pancakes I had with Protein4Oats were great. I look forward to seeing what all I can make with this product. I suspect the maple brown sugar will be great for oatmeal cookies.

The price isn't too bad if you know where to look. I paid $30 to get one bag of each flavor. Individually, I've seen them retail for $11, but some stores charge $17, which is a ripoff (also more than the manufacturer charges if you get it directly from them). You're looking at less than $1/serving for a protein powder that tastes good and is useful if you want a hot breakfast.

Side Effects

Conclusion

PES offered the market something new, and I think it worked well. If you like using protein powder in hot applications: proats, pancakes, cookies, this is definitely a product worth giving a try.

Overall
Thanks to VALI for sending it out!
  September 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Swallow
  • Good For Hydration

I'm a competing powerlifter and I'm doing my third meet in November. For some reason, I've also agreed to run my first 5k in October, so I'm running 3 days a week in addition to my six day upper/lower split. My basic supplement stack is protein powder, fish oil, multi, curcumin, and Apres-Flex.

This is an electrolyte product, made in the USA using non-GMO ingredients. It also uses vegetarian capsules, so it is vegan friendly.

In addition to Vitamin D (250IU), we have 5 of the 7 major electrolytes:

Magnesium (31mg)
    Chloride (212mg)
    Sodium (80mg)
    Potassium (100mg)

Many electrolyte products are just overpriced sugar powders, so it's nice to see a well composed product here. The only product I know with more electrolytes (6 of 7) is Micronamin's Reload.

This is a pill product, so there are no taste or mixability factors at play.

The dose is one pill to be taken with at least 8 oz of water. You are not supposed to exceed four pills a day.

The pills are of medium size, easy to swallow. I found one pill sufficient. On lifting days, I took a pill with my pre-workout, and on my run only day (Sunday), I would take a pill with eight ounces of water.

For me, this product was effective. I've been dehydrated before and know the symptoms: dry mouth, increased thirst, sleepiness, headaches, to name a few of them. On the days that I took Vali, I did not experience any headaches or increased thirst when I was training. I pretty much always get dry mouth when I'm running, but it didn't happen as quickly on days I used this product.

It is pretty convenient to use as well. There's no mess from using a powder, and there's no flavor to consider so if you want your water plain (or if you have a pre or an intra you want to take the electrolytes with).

This product is pretty affordable. It's $18.04 on Amazon for 120 pills which gives you about 15 cents per serving. This is much cheaper than Gatorade powder (which is around 80 cents a serving) and offers a better electrolyte profile.

Side Effects

None. I will note, though, that it is made in a facility that also processes common allergens, so if you are allergic to eggs, milk, shellfish, etc I would keep that in mind.

Conclusion

This is one of the better electrolyte products on the market. It's affordable, easy to handle, and I would keep it in consideration if you are in want of an electrolyte product.

September 15, 2017

• More Focus
    • Adequate Pump
    • Amazing Profile
    • Innovative
    • Euphoric

I'm a competing powerlifter, getting ready for my third meet (just signed up). I had to drop out of my last meet due to injury, so I'm being very cautious this time. It would be nice to PR, but I just want to stay healthy.

Quake has a unique blend of ingredients, including some industry firsts for pre-workouts. A full serving is 2 scoops, but I usually use 1-1.5. Since Scivation is marketed at 1 scoop and 2 scoops, I'll evaluate the ingredients at one scoop.

With 1 scoop, we have:

3g Citrulline- A common pump enhancer which can also have...

With 1 scoop, we have:

3g Citrulline- A common pump enhancer which can also have some endurance benefits. 3g is enough for me to feel a benefit, but a clinical dose is 4g.

3.5g BCAAs (2:1:1)-Branched Chain Amino Acids- these are commonly used to promote recovery. The research on them is mixed. The study that Scivation founded used 14g. To get this amount, you would need 2 scoops AND to use Xtend intra, which I'm sure a lot of people do. I would like to see bulk leucine since you don't need as much of it to get a result, but it's Scivation. You have to expect BCAAs.

1.5g L-Tyrosine- This supplement is used to reduce stress. Common doses are 500mg-2g

1g Peak O2- A trademarked blend of mushrooms that can help improve endurance. The study on athletes with this compound had the athletes use 2g twice
      a day. In my own experience, I've found 2g to be a good dose. I think Quake is the first pre-workout to use Peak O2. I also think Scivation was the first to start putting Peak O2 in supplements (first seen in Xtend Perform).

750mg arginine nitrate- Nitrates are common pump enhancers. They're bound to other ingredients, like potassium or creatine. I don't know much about arginine nitrate specifically.

750mg LCLT- This is a form of carnitine often used for recovery. 750mg is a decent dose. Normally it's 500mg-2g.

500mg Capros- This comes from gooseberry extract and is good for heart health. As far as I know, Quake is the first pre-workout to use it (although other brands have followed)

175mg Caffeine- I hope we all know what caffeine does :) 175mg is a medium dose to me (on the small side for some people). A cup of coffee has around 110mg caffeine.

100mg Theanine- Theanine helps take the edge off of caffeine without making you drowsy. 100-200mg is a common dose

Astra Gin 25mg- This supplement helps with the absorbability of other supplements, e.g. citrulline.

I've only used the lemon drop flavor (also comes in bubblegum). The flavor was good. I'd give in at 8/10. It could have had a bit more sourness to really get the lemon drop experience, but it's tasty, and better yet, it can help improve the taste of bad tasting pre-workouts. I sometimes stack the caffeine free version with my stronger pres to help with the taste.

The mixability could be improved 6.5/10. I think it's the Peak O2, but I end up with residue in my shaker, and it mixes cloudy/has some sediment on the bottom.

The scooper is about the right size. I always use a food scale to measure my supplements but one scoop comes in at about 13g. I like using 1-1.5 scoops with this product.

This is where the product really shines. I have had nothing. but great workouts with Quake. The energy is there, and it is smooth. I get no jitteriness, no anxiety, which sometimes happens when I take stronger pres. The caffeinated version works well on its own, or you can get the stim-free version and add it to another workout. I sometimes do this to help mellow out some of my more aggressive pres.

The pumps are solid. I've used Quake on upper days and lower days and I get good chest pumps, good back pumps, good hamstring pumps, all the good pumps.

The focus is strong. I can't attribute it to any particular ingredient, but I always feel dialed in.

There's also this euphoria (which may be the Capros, but I'm guessing on that). I'm just happy when I take Quake, and I'm kind of grouchy/curmudgeonly in the gym, so this is a new one for me.

Here's the downside. This is an expensive pre. When it first came out, it was $40 for 40 scoops. Granted, this is $1/serving in my case, which isn't so bad, but if you want a full serving, that's $2/serving, which to me is a bit too much.

There have been some good sales on this product. I got 1 large tub for $30 and two of the smaller caffeine free tubs also for $30, which brings the price down to $1.50/full serving, which is more in line with other top pres.

I think the price is reasonable considering that it is a quality product with trademarked ingredients and two industry firsts, but you do have to invest a bit of money to get it.

Side Effects

None for me.

Conclusion

I loved my tub of Quake. I loved it so much I bought another large tub and two smaller tubs (the caffeine free version). I think it's definitely worth a try if you want a smooth pre. If you like that jittery over the top feeling, this isn't for you.

September 4, 2017

• Tastes Good
      • Healthy Fats
      • Mixes Easily

I'm a competing powerlifter who is trying to get as big and as lean as possible. The more muscle you have, the more weight you can move. I'm currently rehabbing a back injury, and I'm hoping to compete in November.

This is a blended protein, 51% micellar casein, 49% whey protein isolate (cold filtered).

1 scoop is 184 calories, 18g protein, 9g fat, and 8g carbs (1g fiber, 4g sugar). The protein count is a little low for a protein powder (usually 20-25g), but this product is marketed as a meal replacement vs. just a protein powder, so the added carbs and fat makes sense. The fats are a high quality, EFAs and MCTs.

There's also 280mg calcium, 140mg sodium, 310mg potassium.

This is the best tasting protein powder I've ever had, hands down, not even close. I have gone through the lemon cream pie (10/10) and the butterscotch (9.5/10), and I can't wait to try some more flavors.

They smelled really good. As soon as I opened the tub, I knew I was in for a treat, and they tasted great with milk, with water, in proats, in yogurt. There's no bad way to use this stuff.

The Lemon Cream Pie slightly edged out the Butterscotch for me, but they were both great.

I don't like protein powders that are too sweet (usually from too much artificial sweetener). UP is just sweet enough. They spent two years working on this product to make sure it tasted just right, and it shows.

I usually used 1 scoop with milk when I made a shake. This gave me 31g protein (I use fairlife), and 260 calories, which is a small meal, but works out when I'm cutting. If you want more calories, you could use a higher fat milk (like 2% or whole) or you could blend in some fruit and make a smoothie.

Protein is protein, so as long as the product meets its label claims, then it should be effective provided your macros and diet are suited for your goals. There is some literature to support that blends are a bit more effective than pure whey (or pure casein), but I don't think this matters too much. I usually mix my protein powder in milk or in yogurt anyway, so I always have a blend.

That being said, this stuff tastes so good that I would say that it's more effective than other offerings just for that. I don't see how you could fail to get enough protein if you have a tub of this. If anything, you might go through it too fast.

Why is this stuff so expensive :(. It typically costs $32 a tub, and for 24 scoops, I think that's a lot. In general, blended proteins tend to cost more than just whey, so the price is in line with the market, but ... it's a lot for me.

I did find it on sale for $26, but that was only in 2 flavors (the lemon cream pie and the butter scotch). This is a high quality product, so the price is justified, but ... if this were a bit cheaper, I probably would have a tub in every flavor.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I've seen a lot of products get a lot of hype. This stuff is worth the hype. Pinch some pennies if you have to and try it out.

Overall
      Thanks to Nutrex for sending it out!
        August 28, 2017

• Informed Choice Certified
      • Solid Pumps
      • The Tingles

I'm a competing powerlifter, hoping to do my third meet in November, currently dealing with a pesky back strain. I'm training 6 days a week with an upper/lower split, and I was cutting, but I'm taking a break from that for now.

What I like about Nutrex's profile is that it offers clinical doses of each ingredient that it provides. There's no pixie dusting here or prop blends to hide behind.

We have:

We have:

Citrulline Malate (2:1) 8g- Citrulline Malate is a pump enhancer and it helps with endurance and recovery post workout. You want at least 4g citrulline and with a 2:1 ratio, we're getting over 5g citrulline, so this is good. I don't care about the malic acid too much, but for those who do higher reps, it may be useful

Beta Alanine (Carnosyn) 3.2g- Beta Alanine will help with endurance. It is a saturation ingredient and can be taken any time. I'm also not actually convinced that it is useful for powerlifting/bodybuilding, but it's a pretty popular ergogenic aid, so adding it makes sense, and at least they give a full dose.

I personally can live without the tingles, and I would rather see it taken separately from taurine (they may interfere with each other in terms of absorption), but it's here.

Betaine Anhydrous 2.5g- This is a metabolite of choline and may be useful as an ergogenic aid, but more research is needed to establish its value. One study found that it increased power output, but this result has yet to be replicated successfully. The same thing holds for reducing fatigue and increasing training volume. I don't think it needs to be taken pre-workout, assuming it does what we hope it does.

Creatine Magnapower 2g- This is creatine bonded to magnesium, which is supposed to improve the absorption of both ingredients. I've read that you don't need as much of magnapower as you would creatine monohydrate, but I could not find a study to substantiate this claim. 2g could be enough, but I'd like to see 3-5g (or just monohydrate or just skip it since creatine can be taken at any time anyway).

BCAAs 6g- These are your branched chain amino acids. Leucine (3g) is the main driver of muscle protein synthesis, and BCAAs are often found in pre/intra products. 6g is a reasonable dose.

Taurine 2g- This is an amino acid that can be useful in a lot of ways, helping with recovery, hydration, etc. I like seeing it in pre-workouts, but I'd rather not see it with beta alanine.

Biopiperine 5mg- So this is a patented form of piperine which can help with the absorption of some supplements. I don't think, however, that any of the ingredients here actually benefit from biopeperine. Also, there's no study to establish that biopiperine works any better than regular piperine. I don't think this ingredient is adding any value here.

I got the strawberry kiwi, which is the only flavor for the stim-free version. It was pretty tasty (8/10), reminding me of the kiwi-strawberry flavor packets my Mom likes to buy. It's hard to describe the taste other than it is what it sounds like. It is on the sweet side though, so I would add 8-12 oz of water so that it's not a total sugar bomb.

It mixes pretty easily. I use a shaker bottle and I didn't have much clumping. Sometimes a bit of residue on the bottom, but that's normal when you have so many active ingredients.

A dose is one scoop (26g). The product's pretty well dosed, so 1 scoop is really all you need.

I wasn't sure what my workouts would be like with this product. As I noted in the ingredients section, many of the ingredients can be taken at any time and do not hold any special value pre-workout. That being said, this pre-workout really impressed me.

It had no caffeine, but I didn't miss that at all. I felt roaring and ready to go once I took it, and I lift at 5AM fasted.

The pumps were always there. I got great back pumps when I was doing rows or reverse flies. The chest pumps were there when I was benching or doing cable flies. I never really get quad pumps no matter what I do, and I was doing the penguin waddle after my leg curls, so the hamstring pumps were htere too.

My lifts progressed nicely over the past month. I also felt focused even though none of the ingredients are particularly known for focus.

Not sure what else to say, I was a happy camper.

Most well known stores sell this product for $38, which for me is just too much for 20 servings ($1.9/serving). For a comparison, I was able to get a two tubs of stim-free Quake for $30 ($1.5/serving).

However, I did see some stores selling Nutrex Outlift for $31/tub, which would bring it back down to $1.55/serving. The problem was I never heard of any of these stores, and I don't know if I would trust them with my credit card information.

The value is okay. You can get it for a decent price. I'm just not so sure that I would actually buy it from those places.

Side Effects

None, other than the beta alanine itching.

Conclusion

Nutrex put up a pretty competitive stim-free product. It's Informed Choice certified, which I like, and it was pretty effective for me. I just need a sale at a store that isn't fly by night. Thanks for letting me try this.

Overall
      Thanks to GoSimple for sending it out!
        August 21, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Well Sourced Ingredients
      • High EPADHA

I'm a competing powerlifter currently working through a back injury. I'm hoping to compete again in November, also am finishing up a long time cut.

This is a combined multi-vitamin and fish oil duo. I will go through the ingredients for them separately.

Vitamins A, C, E, D, E, and K. We have a B-vitamin complex, and the following minerals, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc, Iron, Chromium, and Selenium.

What I like about this product is that it uses high quality sources for its ingredients, the Vitamin D is D3 which is more available than the commonly found D2. The Vitamin E is naturally sourced, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate. The form of B12 is superior as well, Methylcobalamin.

What I would change- I would add more Vitamin D and Magnesium. I use cronometer to track my micros/macros every day and Vit D and Magnesium usually came up short for me. There's 300IU Vit D in the product. I'd double it. There's 100mcg Magnesium in the product. I'd go up to 150mcg.

Other than that, very solid multi profile.

The Fish Oil

There's 700mg EPA/DHA combined which is more than enough for general health purposes. There are additional benefits (joint relief, improved DOMS) when you use higher doses, 2-3g EPA/DHA, so some people would want 3 capsules a day instead of one. I could not tell, however, if the fish oil in this product is natural triglyceride or synthetic. Natural is better as it is more bioavailable.

This is a capsule product, so there's no taste or mixability factor here.

The product is divided into individual serving packets (3 multi capsules and 1 fish oil capsule), which makes it easy to take the proscribed dose. If, however, you wanted flexibility with the dosing, e.g. take two multi capsules instead of three, it would be a bit messy.

I personally would rather have the flexibility of having the multi and the fish oil in separate containers and not have the packets. I like to freeze my fish oil and that's harder to do with a big container.

For me, this product was pretty effective. I try to get all of my nutrients from food, but I usually come up short in one thing or another. On my own, I reach about 80% of my nutritional targets. With Essential's multi and fish oil, I got to about 94% of my targets. More Vitamin D and Magnesium would have made this product a knockout for me

This product is a bit pricey. It's $49 a tub if you just buy one and $39 if you get a subscription. Keep in mind, that you are getting two supplements for this price, so it wouldn't be fair to compare it to just another multi.

Still, a bottle of TruMulti (from PES) along with one month's supply of Utzy would run me about $34, and I would be getting a similar profile/benefits. From what I can tell, GoSimple's product isn't sold in any other stores, which is probably why the price is a bit high. It would be nice to see them reach other retailers so the price can come down a bit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a pretty decent multi/fish oil combo, and I'm sure there are plenty who would find the packets convenient. I personally was not the biggest fan, and this would probably not be my go to multi, but I could see it being apart of my rotation.

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!
        August 16, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Good For Hydration

I'm a competing powerlifter, who for some reason is trying to run her first 5k in October. I lift in the mornings and am doing C25K in the evenings (3 days a week).

I'm also cutting right now and I'm lighter than I've been since high school.

Reload is an electrolyte supplement from Micronamin. Unlike many electrolyte products that are just overpriced sugar packets, we have a nice mix of different electrolytes here:

Calcium - 326 mg
      Magnesium - 150 mg
      Potassium - 200 mg
      Phosphorus - 250 mg
      Sodium chloride - 667 mg

Electrolytes are importa...

I'm also cutting right now and I'm lighter than I've been since high school.

Calcium - 326 mg
      Magnesium - 150 mg
      Potassium - 200 mg
      Phosphorus - 250 mg
      Sodium chloride - 667 mg

Electrolytes are important because they help keep the body hydrated. When we drink water, it tends to sit outside of our cells. We need electrolytes to bring some of that water into the cells and stay hydrated/balanced.

Most of the major electrolytes are in this product. The only one missing is bicarbonate, but you don't need all seven of them at once. In my opinion, it's nice to have at least three different ones.

We also have other ingredients in this product.

Vitamin C - 500 mg-
      Sulphate - 10 mg-
      Vanadium - 3 mg- Unsure of what this does in the body.
      Zinc - 10 mg- an essential mineral that does a slew of different things in the body.
      Trace mineral blend - 100 mg

I got the lemon lime flavor, and I did not like it. It had this weird multi-vitamin like taste to it, like I was eating Flintstones tablets or something like that. Electrolytes are usually pretty easy to flavor. They are just salts after all, so I'm surprised the taste wasn't better.

I add my flavored leucine to this (I drink it intra workout) which helps, but the lemon lime was a miss for me 5/10.

The mixability was pretty decent. Sometimes, there was a bit of grit at the bottom, but for the most part, Reload mixed fine, 8/10.

The dosing is easy. Just rip open a packet and drop it into your water. I've had electrolyte supplements that were droplets, which made it hard to dose it consistently. I've also just gotten a big bag which tends to get clumpy, as the electrolytes are hydrophilic, so this product was one of the more convenient ones I have used.

I really think that electrolyte supplements are underrated in general. Sure they're not as flashy as BCAAs or pre-workouts, but if you find yourself dehydrated during a lifting session or a run, you will not have a good time, and it could lead to something dangerous like heat stroke.

Unfortunately, most electrolyte supplements are just sugary water and don't do much to improve hydration. Studies indicate that most of them do not hydrate you any better than plain water.

This product, however, was very well formulated, and I found that it was quite helpful in terms of staying hydrated at the gym or when I was out running. Right now, it's summer. It's hot and I'm lifting in a field house with no AC or running in a park with little shade.

I've been dehydrated before, and I know the signs: dry mouth, headache, dizziness. I've had none of this with Reload.

This product is reasonably priced considering that it is in individual packets, which is more convenient than a scoop or a dropper. I found Reload for $30 and that's 50 servings, or $.60/serving.

Most products like this, for example Gatorade, will be $1/packet, and will have a crap profile.

Still, if you want the cheapest electrolyte option, you would get something like BulkPowders electrolyte powder which can be had for $.07/serving and flavor it yourself.

Yeah, there's a big difference in price between flavored electrolyte products in individual packets and unflavored products that you have to scoop out, but that's the market for you.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was my first product from Micronamin, and it was an effective one. I wouldn't get the lemon lime, but I would be up for trying the other flavors.

July 24, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Blended Protein
      • Too Sweet
      • Prop Blend

I'm a competing powerlifter, coming back from a back injury. I'm hoping to get back onto the platform in November. I'm currently doing a 6 day upper/lower.

This is a blended protein powder made of whey concentrate, micellar casein, and whey isolate. The concentrate's listed first, so that's probably the majority of the protein. I wish they disclosed the blend. People pay extra for blends, but you don't know how much of the other proteins you're actually getting. It could be 98% whey concentrate for all I know.

The macros are pretty standar...

The macros are pretty standard. Each scoop is 130 calories and 22g of protein. There's also 3g of fat (1.5g saturated), 75 cholesterol, 4g carb (1 fiber), and 1g of sugar.

The fiber comes from added Vitafiber, which is a trademarked IMO.

There's added xanthan gum to make it thicker.

Of course, there's added PB2, which is why I got it. I love peanut butter.

Taste (5/10) The taste did not do it for me. I did taste chocolate, although it was weak, and I did taste peanut butter, which was more noticeable than the chocolate, but it was so sweet that it was hard to finish a shake. I tried adding cocoa powder to detract from the sweetness, and that did not help. I tried blending half Myofeed and half an unflavored protein, and it was still too sweet. I think it's the Vitafiber. It cuts through everything.

They did add salt, but it was not enough to counteract the sweetness. For me, this was the least successful chocolate peanut butter protein that I've had. I've gone through three different brands.

Mixability (8/10) The mixability was good. It mixed well with a shaker bottle, minimal clumping. It got nice and thick if you mixed it with a blender and some ice. The xanthan gum is a great emulsifier. With a blender and ice and some xanthan gum, you can give a protein powder a Frosty like consistency. Do, though, crush the ice first. Ice chunks in your shake is not good.

Dosing (7/10). 22g for a scoop is fine. I usually mix it with milk anyway, so I'm getting plenty of protein for a meal (I am for 30-40g). I am curious as to why the scoop is so large. A 37g scoop that only gives 22g protein. Many brands give you a 35g scoop with 25g protein. They could have gotten in more protein and less filler. This is a protein powder, but it's not a bad dose. Just could have been a bit better.

Protein is protein. As long as the company is meeting it's claim and the protein is of a high quality (e.g. not gelatin), you should get results, provided that you're diet is on point.

Myofeed makes a big point to say that they do not spike their products (it's on their label), and I'm sure they're making their label claims, which is a big plus.

There is some research to suggest a blend can be more effective than a pure whey, but I doubt it really matters outside of a lab biopsy. Most people eat a variety of food and get several different protein sources every day, anyhow.

This product is a bit pricey. I found it for $28.99 for a 2lb tub, which is over $1/serving. For a blend, that's not terrible, but the blend is not actually disclosed. PES costs about the same amount (within $1-$2), but you know exactly what you're getting. Syntha 6 is cheaper and is also a prop blend.

I personally wouldn't pay this much for a blended protein and not actually know what the blend is.

Side Effects

No side effects. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything.

Conclusion

I've heard great things about this product; unfortunately, I did not experience any of them. People swore it tasted just like a Butterfinger, and I just got an overwhelming amount of sweetener.

I'm all for companies that don't spike their protein, but I wouldn't not want to go through another tup of this one.

Overall
      Thanks to Dymatize Nutrition for sending it out!
        July 20, 2017

• Increased Performance
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Informed Choice Certified
      • Powder Clumps Up In Tub
      • Slightly Expensive
      • Itchiness From The Beta Alanine

I'm a competing powerlifter, currently coming back from a back injury. I train 6 days a week using an upper/lower split, and I'm hoping to compete again in November.

I just wanted to thank Dymatize for sending out this product. They also sent me a t-shirt and a shaker bottle.

Dymatize's Pre W.O. has a lot of ingredients. We have:

Citrulline Malate (8g). This is a full dose. Many pwos skimp on the citrulline malate, so Dymatize did us good.

Dymatize's Pre W.O. has a lot of ingredients. We have:

3.2g Beta Alanine (3.2g) (Carnosyn). This is a full dose. Beta alanine is a saturation ingredient, so you can take it any time of day. It doesn't need to be here at all, but at least you have a full dose, so you don't need to look for more elsewhere.

Taurine (2g). This is a good dose (common dose is 500mg-2g). This is an amino acid that is often put in energy drinks. When used with caffeine, taurine can help improve mental performance. It can also help with muscle contraction and hydration.

One caveat to mention, it's possible that beta-alanine and taurine can interfere with each other when it comes to absorption and that they should be taken at different times. This hasn't been tested in humans (only in mice), so they may play together just fine for us.

Betaine (1.5g) (Betapower) This is a bit light in terms of dose, but it's passable. The lowest effective dose is 500mg, but most trainees who use it, take 2.5g a day. Betaine can improve muscle oxygenation and help reduce liver damage. I think it can be taken any time of day.

Arginine Silicate (Nitrosigine) (1.5g) This is a perfect dose. Most PWOs with this ingredient only have 750mg. Here, we have arginine silicate which is arginine bonded to a silicate. Why, well because pure arginine isn't very bioavailable. People were adding it to PWOs left and right, but it wasn't actually doing anything. Bonding arginine to a silicate makes it work. Dymatize did us good.

NALT (350mg). This is a form of tyrosine, which can help with mood and concentration. I've seen people go back and forth on whether or not NALT is actually an improvement from tyrosine. Honestly, I've never noticed anything from either ingredient, so I have no hat in the debate. 350mg is a decent dose for NALT.

Caffeine (300mg). We all know what caffeine is. 300mg may be a high dose for some, but for many lifters it's just right. Caffeine helps with power output and to a certain extent more is better. For me, this would be too much for an every day PWO. It would be a good amount for a heavy squat day.

Coconut Water (200mg.) It helps with hydration. It's becoming increasingly popular for pre and intra workouts.

Theacrine (Teacrine)-125mg- Theacrine is a stimulant. It's not as heavy hitting as caffeine, but it has a much longer half life. It provides this nice, smooth energy. 125mg is a good dose. Many pwos skimp on it because it tastes very bitter, although now there is a version sold with a flavor blocker. You want at least 50mg. Less can actually have a sedative effect.

The flavor I received was cotton candy, and it tastes like cotton candy. Dymatize did a great job of masking the theacrine (which has a very bitter taste). It was a bit sour though, which I don't expect when I hear cotton candy. It also had this strange viscosity, not sure why.

Mixability could have been better. Something causes the pre-workout to clump like a rock. This was the case as soon as I opened it. A butter knife will do the trick, but it can be a bit cumbersome.

One scoop was more than enough for me. Depending on your caffeine tolerance, you could go with 4/5 of a serving and stretch out the tub.

This product takes a while to kick in. Most pres say to take them 30 min pre-workout, but I usually take them right before because they hit me fast. With Pre W.O., however, it does take more like 20-25 minutes to kick in, so I take it right before I leave my house. I think it's due to the theacrine, which has a slow onset.

Once the product takes effect though, it really delivers.

I tried Pre W.O. on each training day, e.g. volume squat day, volume bench day, ohp day ... to evaluate it. Every time, I got solid energy, focus, and pumps.

I could also take the product multiple days in a row without any crash, which is an issue for me with certain stimulants. This product could either be an every day pre workout or a heavy hitter.

The product is a little pricey, often selling for $40 for only 20 scoops. However, I have seen it for $34, which brings you down to $1.7/scoop, which is more in line with other top pre workouts.

To be fair, Dymatize is giving you a lot of trademarked ingredients at efficacious doses. That costs money. Also, Dymatize is a member of Informed Choice, which means you can trust them if you are a drug-tested athlete, like I am. The peace of mind that comes with that also is worth something.

Side Effects

Just itchiness from the beta-alanine. I personally could do without that ingredient.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a solid pre-workout that you can either use daily or save for the harder workout days, then give Dymatize a shot. This really is miles ahead of anything they've done before in this category.

Overall
      Thanks to EvoMuse for sending it out!
        July 17, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Open Label
      • Standardized Extracts
      • Unclear What All Of The Ingredients Are
      • Hard To Evaluate The Dosages

I'm a competing powerlifter currently coming back from a back injury. I'm doing a 6 day upper/lower split and am leaning down until it's time to get ready for my next competition. Basic Stack: protein powder, creatine, fish oil, pre-workout, and curcumin.

Here, we have an open label glucose disposal agent from Evomuse. A GDA is a supplement used to reduce your blood glucose levels and make you more sensitive to insulin. They are often taken around high carb meals.

There are a number of ingredients in Slintensity that have been found to re...

There are a number of ingredients in Slintensity that have been found to reduce blood glucose levels, improve insulin sensitivity, reduce LDL cholesterol, and increase HDL cholesterol.
      It's hard to evaluate the doses of the ingredients in this product because Evomuse used standardized extracts instead of using whole herbs, and I could only find dosing information on the whole herbs. I included those doses for reference.

In Slintensity, we have:

Banaba blend-standardized Corosolic Acid and Elagitannins (150mg)-

Banaba leaf can help with glucose control. One study showed that it reduced blood glucose levels 20-30% in users. Studies have also shown reduced total cholesterol levels, increased HDL cholesterol levels, and reduced insulin levels. A dose for banaba leaf is 1-2g

Oh-isoleucine- std 40% (75mg).

I believe this comes from fenugreek seed, which can improve insulin sensitivity and blood glucose levels. A dose for fenugreek seed is 2-3g.

Bitter melon extract std for 35% momordin (100mg)

Bitter Melon can reduce blood glucose levels and total cholesterol levels. A dose for bitter melon is 300mg.

FMOC-L-Leucine (100mg)- I couldn't figure out what this is.

Phellodendrill Cortex 20: 1- Std berberine and obacucone (175mg)-

Berberine can reduce blood glucose levels, reduce total cholesterol, particularly LDL cholesterol. A dose for berberine is 1-2g.

Green Curry Leaf Extract 10:1 (150mg)- I couldn't find much information on this ingredient.

--Dosing----

No taste or mixability here. Slintensity is a pill product.

The dose is 1 pill per 60g carbohydrates. I only used 1 pill at a time, and I used it at dinner, as my dinners are often 50-70g carbs. Also, insulin sensitivity tends to go down during the day, so it made more sense to me to use GDAs at dinner than at breakfast.

The pills are fairly small (about the length of a fingertip) and were easy to swallow.

I didn't get any blood work done, so I can't say if this product had any impact on my blood glucose levels, cholesterol levels, etc. My numbers were all good at my last doctor's appointment, so any differences would have been minor.

However, I do think this product was effective for me.
      With Slintensity, I had no bloating after eating a high carb meal, which is sometimes a problem for me. I was also noticeably leaner over the past month.
      The scale only went down 3-4lbs, but my stomach is noticeably smaller as are my thighs. Those are both problem areas for me.

I also had improved definition in my calves, which didn't have a lot of fat before, but any positive results, I will take.

I think the value is pretty fair. I've seen Slintensity go for $26-29 a bottle, and depending on your macros, one bottle could last about two months (assuming a high carb meal every day). If you don't use it every day, one bottle could last longer.

This seems in line with other GDAs on the market, which I've seen range from $20-$50 for 60 servings.

Side Effects

I had no side effects.

This is worth noting because several of the common ingredients in GDAs are known to cause gastrointestinal distress (e.g. berberine). I think my lack of issues was because Slintensity uses standardized extracts instead of raw powders. This way, not as much of the ingredients are needed and the potential for stomach issues is reduced.

Conclusion

For those who want a GDA, I think Slintensity is wort considering. It's effective. It's pretty fairly priced, and I had no side effects.