smashley23

• Member has been active for 2 years, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by smashley23

Overall
Overall
6.4
6.8
Thanks to Beast Sports Nutrition for sending it out!
  May 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Thermogenic Effects
  • Slight Warming Effect
  • Short Term Only

Super Sauna worked well at first, but its success was short lived. As a fat burner, it was so so.

I'm a competing powerlifter trying to cut down to get into a new weight class. I'm about 4 weeks out and only have a couple pounds to go. When I saw Super Sauna in the Troops Program, I was excited to try it. I figured every little bit helps.

We have an open label product, which I like. In one scoop of Super Sauna (5g), we have:

LCLT (100mg)- This is a form of l-carnitine often used for recovery. 100mg is a pretty small dose. 1-2g would be better.

Grains of Paradise (30mg). This spice is common in West Africa. Recently, it's made an appearance as a fat burner. 30mg is a decent dose.

Gamma-butyrobetaine HCI (25mg)- This compound will make you sweat, and it may help boost your metabolism. I couldn't find much on it (outside of rat studies).

BioPerine (5mg)- This is a patented form of piperine and can help improve the absorbability of some supplements. I don't think, however, any of the ingredients in this formula have been shown to benefit from piperine. Often, this ingredient is added for no reason (other than marketing).

Taste

I got the Lemon Dropkick. The initial taste was fine, 7.5/10, but the after taste is a bit rough.

Mixability

So the powder dissolves fine, but be careful with how you mix it. I first tried stirring it with a spoon, and I quickly realized that was a mistake. It felt like I was being maced.

I tried stirring it and leaning back and it was still kind of like being maced. It's worth it to use a shaker bottle, just so you can mix the powder while it's enclosed.

I used one serving before each workout. I didn't find a scoop in my container, so I just used a spoon and a food scale.

At first, Super Sauna was pretty effective for me. I could feel my body warm up right away when I used it, my heart rate was higher through out the workout (I can see my HR on a screen at the gym), and when I compared my fitness tracker data on my first Super Sauna workout to a similar workout the week before, I saw a 12% increase in my calories burned per minute, i.e. I burned 5.4 cals/min instead of 4.8

Unfortunately, however, these results did not last for very long. Although I could subjectively feel Super Sauna in my additional workouts (higher body temp, sweating, etc), my heart rate did not stay elevated as it did the first day.

On my second workout, I only saw a 6% increase in my calories burned per minute. Then it quickly fell to only a 1% increase, and by the end of the week, my calories burned were the same. I adapted to the product very quickly.

Maybe other people can get more use out of it, but I only had two good days with the product.

I've seen this product sell for $19, which is pretty cheap. There are 30 servings in a tub. The product, though, has no caffeine, so most people would probably add it to a caffeinated product, which does take away from the value a bit. I saw this as an add on to a pre-workout vs. being a full one.

Side Effects

The spice in the product can be a bit rough, but I found it worse when I was mixing the product than when I was actually drinking it. If you don't like spicy things, I would stay away.

Conclusion

I did get some use out of the product, but it wasn't enough for me to want to recommend it. It could be worth a try at it's lowest price, and if you did get it, I would cycle it, e.g. 2 days on, 2 days off.

Overall
Thanks to Flex Nutrition for sending it out!
  May 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces Inflammation
  • Non-GMO
  • Probably A Synthetic Ester

This was a great fish oil product. It helped with my joint pain. I had no fish burps, and it's very affordable. I recommend.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I train five days a week. I'm a big fan of fish oil, for general health, and for joint support. I'm doing a high frequency routine right now (benching five days a week), and sometimes my shoulders and elbows get a little wonky. I wanted to try Flex O-Mega to see if it would help.

In one softgel, we have:

10 calories (1g fat), 400mg EPA and 300mg DHA.

For gene...

In one softgel, we have:

10 calories (1g fat), 400mg EPA and 300mg DHA.

For general health, you want 250-500mg EPA/DHA per day, so one softgel will do it for most people. If you have certain risk factors, you may want 1-2g EPA/DHA (2-3 softgels). Gym bros will often take 2-3g EPA/DHA a day (3-4 softgels).

It does do not say what kind of fish oil is used, whether it is a natural triglyceride or a synthetic ester. I prefer natural triglycerides as they are more bioavailable, but they are also more expensive, so I have to assume (unless stated otherwise) that we have a synthetic ester here. This would be a reason to take 2 softgels/day instead of just one.

The fish used are herring, anchovy, sardine, and salmon. You want smaller fish to as the fish oil source as they tend to have fewer contaminants in them.

The capsule comes from bovine.

I keep my fish oil in the freezer. They had no taste, and I got no fish burps from them.

There's no mixability here.

I took two softgels a day, and I took them with breakfast. You want to take fish oil with other fat to help with the absorption

I'm in pretty good health, so what I was really looking for with this product was joint support/pain relief.

I found Flex O-mega to be very helpful on that front. I workout before breakfast, so sometimes I'd have shoulder or elbow pain before I took the fish oil. Within an hour or so of taking it, the pain would be gone.

I didn't have joint pain every workout day, but when I did have it, it always went away after I took the Flex Omega.

You can get 1 bottle (120 softgels) for $22.22 if you buy it direct. This is a pretty fair deal. It's a bit more than Oximega (about $18/bottle), but you're getting more EPA/DHA than Oximega, so I think the bump in price is reasonable.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a pretty solid fish oil. I got good results from it, and at this price, I would recommend it.

Overall
Overall
5.5
  May 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Open Label
  • Strong Profile

Core Pump has a great profile, but my results were lackluster, and given that the product is expensive, I would not recommend it.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I train five days a week. I start with my main lifts and then go on to do my accessory/fluff work. Although I don't primarily train for hypertrophy, I do enjoy chasing the pump at the end of my workouts. A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle.

Core Pump is a stim-free pump product. It is an open-label product, which I like.

In one scoop (10.9g), you get:

1...

In one scoop (10.9g), you get:

1g agmatine- This is a metabolite of arginine. It's often used as a pump enhancer and a glucose disposal agent. 1g is a solid dose.

3g citrulline- This is a precursor of arginine (will turn to arginine in the kidneys). It is considered a better pump enhancer than arginine as it is more bioavailable. 3g is a bit light. I like to see at least 4g.

2g hydromax- This is a stable form of glycerol monosterate. It is often used to increase hydration and improve pumps. Alas, people need a lot more for hydration (30-40g) than what you will get in a supplement product. I personally have never seen much from it in terms of pumps, and it can make products sticky in the summer.

1.5g nitrosigine- The new kid on the block. This is a patented form of arginine and is bonded to a silicate to improve the bioavailability. 1.5g is a clinical dose.

Overall, this is one of the strongest profiles for a pump product that I've seen.

I got the sour green apple flavor. The taste was fine 7/10. It tasted like a sour apple candy, but it had a bit of a bitter aftertaste, probably from the agmatine.

The product mixed well. I would add it 6-8oz of water and use a shaker.

For dosing, I used 1 scoop at a time, and I used a food scale to make sure I was getting the right amount.

I had high hopes for this product. In the past, I have responded well to citrulline, agmatine, and nitrogsigine, so seeing all three of them in one product was exciting. Before now, I've only used 1-2 of the ingredients at one time

Unfortunately, when it came down to it, I just didn't get much in terms of pumps, 6/10, and I saw nothing in terms of vascularity. There was some effect. It was better than not having a pre-workout at all, but I have seen better results (bigger pumps that lasted longer, increased vascularity) from other products, e.g. Big Noise, Stim-Free Conqu3r Unleashed (now discontinued).

I'm not sure why I didn't respond to this one. Maybe, some of the ingredients contraindicated each other.

This is not a cheap product. Core Pump typically costs $40, and each tub is 28 servings, which brings you to $1.43/serving. That's a lot for a pre-workout, especially considering the less than satisfactory results. I actually paid $36 for my tub and the cheapest I've seen it sell is $33.60. Even that price is high though, considering you can get Big Noise for $26.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was was a dud for me, I'm sorry to say. A great profile, but the results just didn't follow.

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  May 7, 2018

• Reducnes Muscle Soreness
  • Transparent Label

Good for recovery. Nothing for hydration or pumps. A solid but bare-bones EAA product.

I am a competing powerlifter getting ready for my 4th meet in June. I train 5 days a week, and am currently doing a high frequency/high intensity training program. I like using intra workout products to help with my workouts. I think they are good for recovery, albeit not necessary.

I saw Redcon1's Grunt and wanted to try it. I prefer EAA formulas to just BCAAs (better for mps), but they cost more to make and are not as popular.

T...

This is a pretty straightforward formula. We only have EAAs here. 1 scoop is 9.5g which is almost perfect. Studies on EAAs for athletic performance used 10g.

Most of the EAAs are BCAAs (6g out of the 9.5g), leaving not a lot of room for the other six amino acids in the profile. As far as I know, there is not an ideal EAA ratio out there, so I can't say if the abundance of BCAAs here is a problem, but it is worth noting.

I got the cherry lime flavor, and I thought it was okay 7/10, but it wasn't that great. It's not bitter or anything. It just fake tasting. The flavor reminded me of Tums. Tums are okay tasting, and when you need them you don't really care about how they taste, but they don't have a taste that I ever look forward to.

The mixability was fine. When you first shake it, there's a good amount of foam in the top, but it always settled before I got to the gym. There's some residue left in the shaker after you drink it but not a lot. The texture is pretty good. There's no grittiness or chalkiness to it.

Dosing- I used one scoop intra workout. I eat post-workout, so I didn't see a reason to take a second dose as the label suggests.

My food scale can't measure 1/2 grams, so I just used 10g. I always weigh my supplements out because more often than not, the scoop is too small or too large. One level scoop got me about 8-9g depending on the day, so the scoop isn't too far off.

My recovery using Grunt was pretty good. I had some muscle soreness (mostly hamstrings and triceps), but it was never severe, and it never lasted more than 1-2 days.

I have been able to add weight (or reps) to most of my workouts over the past six weeks, and I do think that Grunt has been helping me make the most of my training sessions.

I am also cutting a bit of weight, so I will make it into my weight class, so my body is being pushed pretty hard right now.

Typically, a tub of Grunt is about $34. I've seen it for $32.49 in one store, which is $1.08/serving. This isn't too bad for an EAA product, but I do think they could have offered more for this price, e.g. adding some electrolytes or some citrulline. The EAA market isn't huge right now, but there are more well-rounded EAA products that are a similar price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I did like the product, and I would recommend it if there's a good sale, but at it's usual price, Grunt costs a bit too much to be competitive with the other EAAs on the market.

April 18, 2018

• Low Sodium
  • Too Thin

Genetidyne proteins are all about the mix ins. Lots of companies model their products after popular foods (cereal, cake, etc), but Gentidyne uses real mix ins, e.g. their snickers protein has crushed up snickers bars in it. When I saw this protein on stack3d, I had to try it.

I'm a competing powerlifter on the tail end of a long cut. I like using protein powder to keep my protein up and my calories down. In addition to making shakes, I also like making proats, protein mug cakes, and protein with yogurt.

Casolate is ...

Casolate is a casein blend. It has Micellar Casein, WPI-90 (cold-processed), and WPC-80. Unfortunately, I don't know how much of each protein type is used, but the micellar casein is listed first.

In one scoop (30g), you get 20g protein, 3g carbs (<2g sugar), <2g fat (1g saturated), for 109 calories. The amino profile is also listed on the tub. Each serving has 4.1g BCAAs in it.

It is fairly low in sodium (31mg), and cholesterol (15mg).

I got the chocolate w/ special dark, featuring of course, Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate. The taste was very good, 8.5/10. It was sweet without being cloying. I really enjoyed the bits of dark chocolate, although they do sink to the bottom, so you need a spoon if you're making a shake. I do, though, think the flavor could have been a bit richer.

This protein made for a good shake, but it made for even better protein yogurt. The mug cakes were a bit dry. Ultra Peptide 2 is still the best for them.

The mixability was pretty good. There was no clumping when I used a shaker bottle and very little foaming. I do, though, wish that the protein mixed thicker. The shakes were pretty thin, which is surprising for a protein blend. I didn't see any thickening agents in the ingredients list, and I think this product could have used some.

One serving only has 20g of protein, so I would either mix it with 1 cup of Fairlife (bringing me to 33g) or use 1.5 scoops of protein powder at a time.

This product was pretty effective for me.

It tasted good, making it easy to drink. It didn't cause me any stomach issues, and it has the full amino profile on the tub, so it's easy to make sure that I was getting enough leucine each time I used it. I am for 2.5-3g leucine each meal to optimize MPS.

It was also good for satiety. After drinking a protein shake, I'm usually hungry again after 2 hours or so. With Casolate, I would be satiated for 3-3.5 hours. When you're cutting, every little bit helps.

This product comes in 2lb tubs and 5lb tubs. A 2lb tub is $36, giving you $1.2 serving. I think this is average for protein blends. A 5lb tub is $61, giving you 80 cents/serving. This is a pretty solid deal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was another good protein powder from Genetidyne. I would order Casolate again, but I'd probably try a new flavor, like reeses pieces or oreo. If you like candy in your protein shakes, then look no further. Genetidyne is what you want.

April 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Profile

I got this product for free as apart of the Bounty Program (beta version). Thanks Clipper83 for putting the program together.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I typically train 5 days a week. I try to get my nutrients from whole foods, but I do usually take a multi vitamin and fish oil as extra insurance. The literature on multi-vitamins are a mixed bag, but I do think the formulated ones are worthwhile.

We have here a multivitamin designed for athletes. In addition to your expected vitamins and minerals, Vitabolic has an:

Energy & Mood Boosting Matrix (250mg Rhodiola Rosea, 200mg Panax Ginseng, 150mg Green Tea, 100mg Theanine),

an Adrenal Recharge & Stress Blocking Matrix (500mg Ashwagandha and 250mg Cordyceps Mushroom)

and an Anti-Inflammatory / Immune Defense Matrix (200mg Turmeric, 200mg Devil's Claw, 200mg Cissus Quadrangularis, 200mg Garlic, and 200mg Ginger).

I really like the ingredients here. I respond well to Rhodiola Rosea, Cissus, and to Cordyceps. I often supplement with them, so it's nice to see them here.

This product does contain caffeine (75mg) which is about as much as a cup of black tea.

There is no taste or mixability here, as Vitabolic is a capsule product. It does, though, have 7 capsules a serving which takes a bit to gulp down. The capsules are on the small side.

I had two criteria for evaluating Vitabolic.

1. How did it help me meet my nutritional needs.

2. How did it impact my athletic performance.

Vitabolic did well on both fronts.

I log everything I eat into cronometer, so I know which micronutrients and macronutrients I am low on (or have taken in excess). If I take Vitabolic, I meet 93% of my daily nutritional needs on average. If I don't take it, I'm down to 88% Vitabolic helped me get enough, zinc, magnesium, and copper. It would be nice to see some more vitamin D.

My energy levels have been considerably better when I take Vitabolic. I have more energy when I wake up in the morning, and I have had less post-workout fatigue (no post-workout crashes, which sometimes are a problem for me). I've also noticed some mood elevation.

Vitabolic is expensive. One bottle is $35 for 28 servings. For comparison, TruMulti is about $20 for 30 servings and Orange Triad is $25 for 45 servings (this is a recent change. OT used to cost a lot more). Right now, Vitabolic costs too much compared to other active multis, but as more stores start to carry it, the price should come down.

I do want to note that Nutrabolics is a Canadian company, so there may be better prices available up north.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a pretty good multi-vitamin. It's a bit too expensive for me to make a main-stay, but I would grab it if it went on sale.

5.4
Thanks to MDRN Athlete for sending it out!
  April 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Proper Doses
  • Great Pumps
  • No Focus

I've used a number of "exotic stim" pres over the years, DMAA, DMHA, J. Regia, etc. This is my first experience with dynamine.

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for a competition in June. I train 5 days a week, and am currently doing a high frequency training program, bench 5x week, squat and deadlift 3x a week. My training sessions are 70-90 minutes long, and I always start with light cardio and mobility work. I train fasted at 5AM (7AM on Saturdays).

Kudos to MDRN Athlete for giving us an open label.

1 s...

Kudos to MDRN Athlete for giving us an open label.

1 scoop of MDRN Athlete pre workout is 16g. This is fairly large, so I expect to see well dosed ingredients (v.s. 4g pre workouts that are usually prop-blend stim bombs).

MDRN Athlete did not disappoint. We have:
6g Citrulline- This amino acid converts to arginine in the kidneys. It's better at providing pumps than arginine because it's more bioavailable. It can also help with endurance. 6g is a generous dose.

3.2g Carnosyn- This is a trademarked form of beta alanine. It can improve endurance in 60-240 second bouts. Not convinced this is very useful for weightlifting, but if you pursue more endurance type sports, it may be more helpful. 3.2g is a clinical dose.

2g Betaine- This is an amino acid that people supplement with to improve heart health, digestion, and to increase muscle power. 2g is a fair dose.

1g Agmatine- This is a metabolite of arginine. It is used to produce pumps and as a glucose disposal agent. 1g is a good dose.

750mg NALT- This is a special form of tyrosine and is used to reduce stress. 750mg is a good dose.

300mg Alpha GPC- This is a cholinergic that is used as a nootropic and to increase power output. 300mg is enough for the mental benefits, but you want 600mg to increase power output.

250mg Dynamine (40%)- This is a new stimulant from Compound Solutions. It's supposed to increase energy, mood, and focus.

125mg Teacrine (40%) This is a trademarked form of theacrine. It is like a milder form of caffeine and it has a longer halflife. There is 50mg total teacrine in this product. That's the minimum that you want to see (any less can actually make you drowsy).

100mg L-Theanine- This amino acid is used to take off some of the jitteriness that comes with caffeine and other stimulants.

50mcg Huperizine A- This is also a nootropic. It's similar to Alpha GPC. It may need to be cycled.

300mg Caffeine- This tells us that MDRN pre is intended to be a heavy hitter. 300mg is on the higher end in my book.

5mg BioPerine- This is a trademarked form of piperine. It can improve the absorbability of some other supplements. I do not think, however, that any of the supplements it has been tested on are present in this product. Alas, many companies add it because it sounds cool, but it's often not actually doing anything productive.

I got Tiger Blood, and unfortunately, tiger blood means coconut (not sure why). I hate coconut. The taste wasn't objectively bad. It wasn't overly sweet or bitter or anything, but I hated it. Ugh!

Why can't Tiger Blood be something cool?

The mixability was fine. There wasn't any excessive foaming or anything. There was a bit of residue on the sides of my shaker bottle, but that's not surprising. Alpha-GPC can cause that.

I started with a half a scoop because I wasn't sure how the dynamine would affect me. It wasn't that strong, so I moved up to a full scoop

I wanted to like this pre-workout. It has good ingredients at effective doses, but I did not respond well to the dynamine.

Instead of improving my focus, it actually made my focus worse. I felt spacey and almost lightheaded after the pre, and I would have to force myself to concentrate during my workouts.

The energy was there, but it was subtle. I was expecting more of a kick in the pants given the caffeine and the theacrine. My guess is the dynamine counteracted them instead of acting synergistically with them.

The pumps were pretty good. I do focus on strength more than hypertrophy, but I have a fair amount of fluff work in my program.

1 tub of MDRN Athlete is $43 and has 20 servings. This is pretty expensive, $2.15/serving. Right now, there is a coupon that brings it down to 34.40 ($1.72/serving). This is better, but it's still high.

Similarly formulated pres can be found for $1-$1.5/workout. Also, this product isn't widely available yet. The only options I've seen were getting it direct or from amazon. If the product becomes available in more stores, the price will likely come down.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Alas, this pre-workout just didn't do it for me. It's possible that I'm just a poor responder to dynamine, and that other people will like this product a lot more. That remains to be seen.

April 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Gluten Free

I drink a lot of protein shakes. I usually opt for protein powder instead of RTDs because the RTDs I've had all tasted gross, really chemical, chalky texture, etc.
    When ISO 100 Clear came out, I decided to try it because I figured the taste and the texture would be better than the "chocolate" RTDs I've had in the past.

This is a pretty straightforward product. It's just water, whey protein isolate, salt and flavoring/coloring.

The macros are about as lean as they come. 1 20oz bottle is 170 calories, 40g protein (10.2g BCAAs), 2g carbs, and 0g fat.

Taste/Texture/Dosing

I got the fruit punch flavor and to me, it tastes just like a Hi-C juice box but with less sugar. It was sweet but it was not super sweet. I give it a 9/10.

The texture is pretty smooth. I got a bit of chalkiness on one of the bottles, but it only happened once, so it was probably a fluke. They're not creamy like most protein shakes, rather they go down more like flavored water.

If I was using the RTD as a meal replacement, then I drank a whole bottle. Usually, though, I drank it alongside other food, so I drank about half a bottle at a time.

I wanted something quick, palatable, and high protein without being too many calories.

Dymatize delivered on all fronts, 8.5/10

I'm cutting right now, so the calories are pretty low. These drinks fit really well into my diet, and freed up calories for food I like that doesn't have a lot of protein, like muffins. I like any product that allows me more muffins.

What surprised me the most was the satiety that the drinks provided. I expected very little/no satiety given the lack of fat and how low carb the product is, but a whole bottle was enough to keep me full for about three hours, which for the calories is pretty great.

RTDs are generally pretty expensive, around $3-4/bottle. You have to pay for convenience.

I had a coupon, so I was able to get a case of Iso100 Clear for $26 ($2.16/bottle), but it usually costs about $35/case, or $2.9/bottle. This is too much for me to buy it all the time, but it is the industry norm, so Dymatize isn't price gauging here.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Iso100 Clear is a pretty good product. It tastes good, has a smooth texture, and has solid macros. I would recommend to anyone who wants an light RTD.

Overall
    Overall
    3.5
    2.0
    (SR paid for product; GNC did not participate)
      April 1, 2018

Cons:

Many people supplement with BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), but research suggests that either leucine on its own or a complete spectrum of EAAs are both more effective in terms of stimulating MPS.

When I saw Leucine in the troops program, I decided to give it a whirl. Thanks Clipper for donating it.

This is a single ingredient product, leucine. L-leucine is an essential amino acid (a BCAA specifically). It an activator of MTOR, i.e. the body uses it to build muscle.

Current research suggests that you should get 2.5-3g leucine per ...

Current research suggests that you should get 2.5-3g leucine per meal if your goal is hypertrophy.
      If your meal does not have enough leucine in it, you can either take supplemental leucine with your meal or up to 30 minutes before.

BCAAs are bitter, and leucine is no exception. This product is unflavored, which is a shame because it tastes awful. I tried covering the taste with flavor drops and with juice, but it was to no avail. I need a chaser to get through this stuff.

The mixability was pretty poor. When I added it to water, it would foam at the top and leave this weird precipitate. I shook it vigorously in a shaker, and the precipitate never dissolved.

I used the leucine at lunch, taking 3g 10-15 minutes before I ate.

I can't say how effective leucine supplementation was for me in terms of building muscle. One month is just too short of a time frame.

I can, though, say that the leucine was beneficial to my recovery.

I'm currently doing a high frequency training program, which makes soreness an important issue for me as I train the same movements multiple times a week and 2-3 days in a row. If I push too hard on my squats on Monday, then I won't be able to do my squats on Tuesday, etc.

With the leucine, I noticed reduced soreness after my workouts which made it possible to squat two days in a row, deadlift two days in a row, and bench three days in a row. I did experience some soreness, but it was not debilitating in any way. In the past, I have had hamstring doms so badly that I've had to nix my planned workout. I hate skipping workouts. To some extent, leucine seemed to guard against this.

GNC sells this product for $17/tub. This doesn't sound too bad, but each tub is only 90g. Other companies will sell you 500g leucine for $25. GNC is charging way too much.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I like the idea of supplementing with leucine, especially if it leads to long term muscle growth, but I can't recommend this product. It's just too expensive

March 24, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Delicious

I like having protein bars. Sometimes, I use them as snacks between meals and other days, I use them as a meal replacement (e.g. if I'm going to be out all day and don't want to get fast food). I've tried over a dozen bars; some of them good, many of them not, and when I got a chance to beta-test Animal Snak bars, I jumped on it.

I liked them and decided to get a few boxes when they came on sale.

I liked them and decided to get a few boxes when they came on sale.

This bar is advertised as a whole foods bar vs. a candy-like bar such as Fit Crunch or My Bar. It has no added sugar, no artificial flavors or sweeteners, and has no sugar alcohols.

The ingredients and macros change slightly depending on which flavor you get, so I'll go over the PB Honey and Oats bar as it was my favorite.

It's made with peanuts, honey, brown rice, and oats. The protein sources are milk protein isolate and whey concentrate.

Macros: 27g protein, 34g carbs (6g fiber, 20g sugar), 15g fat (4g saturated), 370 calories.
        Micros: 35mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 320mg potassium, 30% DV Calcium, 6% RDV Iron,

I've tried three of the four flavors, pb honey and oats, rich chocolate peanut butter, and pb chocolate chip.

I'd rate pb honey and oats a 9/10. It tastes exactly as it's described. The one thing I would change is I would a bit of salt. I think that would compliment the honey nicely, but I'm splitting hairs. This one is very good.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the rich chocolate pb as much 7/10. The peanut butter flavor was there, but the chocolate was lacking. If they had used more chocolate (or perhaps a darker one), it would have been a more successful flavor.

PB Chocolate Chips was better than rich chocolate pb 8/10, but it still needed a bit more chocolate.

I have yet to try the fourth flavor (chocolate brownie) yet. I wanted to get a single bar of it before committing to a whole box.

I usually cut the bars in half as 370 calories is a bit too big for a snack. I am cutting at the moment. I would though eat a whole bar if I was using it as a meal, e.g. when I was at the airport. Also, the bars are a bit bigger than advertised. They're listed as 93g, but they've been about 101g, so the calories are probably closer to 400.

These bars were pretty effective for my needs.

1. I like that they have more fat than many bars on the market. I often find that I'm low on dietary fat, so this was helpful to me.

2. They delivered in terms of satiety. One bar would keep me full for several hours and even half of a bar would keep me full for a few hours.

3. The bars were also easy to digest. The lack of sugar alcohols was a plus in my book and the oats provided a good amount of fiber.

4. The texture was good. The bars weren't too tough to chew or too dry.

I do try to eat "real food" most of the time, but in a pinch, these bars are great.

The bars often retail for $27/box which is $2.25/bar. This is pretty standard, especially for a bar of this size. You can, though, get them cheaper if you're willing to buy more than 1 box at a time. I've seen them go bogo 50 a few times. Getting two boxes in one of these deals would bring the price down to $1.69/bar, which is a pretty good price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

These were one of the better protein bars that I have tried. Animal did good here. If you want a whole foods protein bar, I'd give these a try.