smashley23

SR TROOPer

• Reputation is high. (+1969)
  • Member has been active for 3 years, and was last online 8 months ago

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by smashley23

January 1, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Muscle Endurance
  • Increased Vascularity
  • Craved A Little More Pump

I used this product by itself before each workout for about 6 weeks. It improved my vascularity considerably, and I did notice an improvement in my muscular endurance, but my pumps were not as full as they were with other pump products. It's a solid product, but it's a bit too expensive in my opinion.

I am a competing powerlifter, who is getting ready for her first meet of 2019 (5th overall). I'm currently doing Tactical Barbell, but I was doing Westside for Skinny Bastards while I was using this product.

Both programs are upper/lowers that foc...

Both programs are upper/lowers that focus on barbell lifts. I lift first thing in the morning and eat breakfast afterwards. I took Vasogen before I headed for the gym and was lifting about 20 minutes later.

Vasogen has a proprietary blend. In 2 capsules, you get:

10mg B3, 61mg Chloride, 39mg sodium, and a mix of:

Swell Matrix Blend (1250mg)

Hawthorn Berry Powder- this is often used for blood pressure and heart health.
Schizandra Berry Powder- this is often used for increasing energy and endurance
Theobromine- this is a mild stimulant that increases airflow to the lungs and can help lower blood pressure
AgmaPure- this is a trademarked form of agmatine which is a common pump enhancer. In my experience, 500mg or higher is a good dose.
Pine Bark Extract- this improves blood flow and brain performance.
Vinitrox- this is a trademarked supplement (made by Nexira). According to their study, 500mg of Vinitrox will increase time to fatigue by 13%.

The formula is interesting, but I'm not sure if there's enough of each compound. The total blend is 1250mg, so if you have 500mg for AgmaPure and 500mg for Vinitrox, that only leaves 250mg for everything else.

I couldn't find recommended dosages for every ingredient, but you want at least 200mg for theobromine, which only leaves 50mg for the other ingredients. I think VMI came up with an interesting formula, but I suspect that at least some of the ingredients are underdosed.

There's no taste or mixability to consider as this is a capsule product. The pills are of medium size. I took one dose before training.

For me, VMI went 2/3 in terms of effectiveness.

The front of the bottle advertised pumps, vasolidation, and enhanced endurance. My vascularity was pretty impressive with this product (I usually don't get a lot of vascularity as my bf is on the higher side), and my endurance was pretty good with the product (I was able to get through my entire workout without every feeling like I hit a wall), but the pumps for me, were lacking. There were there, but they just weren't very full. I have had better success with other products, e.g. just using agmatine in high doses or vaso6.

The lowest price I saw for Vasogen was $28, which I think is a fair price for 30 servings.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a pretty decent product. I'd like to see more agmatine in it, as I think that would lead to fuller pumps, but 2/3 ain't bad.

Overall
Thanks to Muscle Nutrition for sending it out!
  November 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Benefits Of Whey Protein And A Cup Of Joe
  • Convenient
  • Burnt Aftertaste

If you like iced coffee, then you'll probably like this product. It tastes like coffee. It is caffeinated. The only potential downside is that it has a bit of a burnt aftertaste (kind of like toffee), and it's a little pricey.

On most days, I have coffee and I have a protein shake, so I figured why not combine the two and try out a caffeinated protein product. It would save me some time in the morning.

I go to the gym at 5AM, get home around 6:30-7 when I have my shake, and then am at work by 8AM. While I was using this product, I didn't drink any coffee or use any other caffeinated products.

This product is a mix of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate. I don't know how much of each is in the product. I also don't know what kind of wpc and wpi are being used.

The product says it has 0g trans fat, but alas, that doesn't actually mean there is no trans fat in the product. The FDA allows products to say 0g trans fat as long as there is less than .5g in a serving (they can round down). What is more concerning, though, is that the product has mono and di glycerides which can be trans fat, but don't have to be listed as such because the FDA defines fats as triglycerides.

1 scoop is 130 calories, and gives us 20g protein, 7g carbs (1 fiber, 3 sugar) and 2.5g fat (.5g saturated fat). There is also 135mg sodium, 30mg cholesterol, and nearly two dozen vitamins/minerals, Vitamin D, iron, etc. There is also no added sugar in the product, and 1 serving has 120mg caffeine (an 8oz cup of coffee has about 95mg caffeine).

The taste was pretty decent, 7.5/10. The only ding I give it is the burnt aftertaste. It reminded me of burnt toffee, without the actual toffee flavor. It tasted like the sugar in the product was over-caramelized.

The mixability was pretty good. There was a little clumping but not too much.

I used 1 scoop at a time and would mix it with Fairlife most of the time (although I did try it with water). I used a food scale to make sure I got a serving. I found the scoop slightly too big.

I train fasted, so I always had my protein shake when I got home after my workout. I found that the caffeine would kick in rather quickly, and I had a nice boost of energy to get me started when I got to work.

I didn't see any performance or body composition changes while I was using this product, but I finished it in about three weeks, so I wouldn't expect to see any changes in such a short time.

This product is on the expensive side. 1 tub is $30, and only has 14 servings, so we're looking at over $2/serving. I took a look at some other protein coffee products to see how this one compared, and I found similar products for $1.35-$1.8/serving.

I could only find this product in one store, which is probably why it costs more than its competitors. If it can get wider availability, the price can come down a bit, and it would be a more competitive product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I liked this product, but I didn't love it. If the burnt after taste went away, and the price came down a bit, I'd likely get another tub to keep in my rotation. This probably wouldn't be a daily staple for me.

October 13, 2018

• Boring Flavor
  • A Lot Of Puffery

I got two tubs, one vanilla and one strawberry. The vanilla tasted like vanilla, but the strawberry was fake tasting to me. It's a good budget whey isolate, but if you want a home run on flavor, look elsewhere.

I'm a powerlifter who recently started running (just did my first 10k this morning). I am for 1g/lb bodyweight in protein, and have 1-2 scoops of whey every day (usually one shake and one protein + greek yogurt).

I saw this product on BOGO, and decided to grab a couple of tubs as I was low on whey isolate at the time. I've had MT's protein before, and their flavoring was pretty good.

This time, though, I was a bit underwhelmed.

This is a whey isolate product using whey peptides and whey protein isolate. Some of the protein is whey protein isolate 97%, but the label doesn't say how much. The whey is cold-filtered which is better than ion-exchanged.

One scoop gives us 130 calories, 2g fat, 2g carbs (2g sugar), and 25g protein. Each scoop has 2.6g Leucine and 5.6g BCAAs.

The vanilla tasted like vanilla, 7.5/10. There weren't any interesting undertones or other tastes present. For example, Mexican Vanilla is a bit spicy. French vanilla is made with egg yolks, so you get a custardy flavor. There was nothing like that here. Just plain vanilla, which made it a good base for smoothies, but on its own was not very interesting.

The strawberry was artificial tasting to me, more like a strawberry flavored candy than an actual strawberry, 6.5/10. I find this is often the case when it comes to strawberry flavored proteins. I have yet to find one that does it for me (and it may not exist tbh)

Both flavors mixed pretty well in a shaker, minimal clumping but a little foam at the top. They made decently thick shakes and mixed in well with yogurt and oatmeal.

I used 1 scoop at a time. The scoopers were a bit large. I used a food scale to make sure I got 1 serving.

This protein was reasonably effective for me. A shake would keep me satiated for 2-3 hours, which for me is pretty good for only 130 calories (up to 210 if I used milk instead of water).

My recovery while using it was fine. There wasn't anything special to report (positively or negatively), and my diet is pretty good.

MT makes a lot of claims with this product (both on the tub and on their website). E.g., that is the "most pure whey" or "make gains like you have never experienced." This is just puffery. It doesn't mean anything.

I got two tubs for $35, which comes out to less than $9/lb ($.65/serving). To put this in perspective, many whey protein isolates are $1-1.3/serving. Honestly, I was a bit nervous getting a WPI this cheap, but there are a few other brands that can match MT's pricing, so the price was not completely absurd.

Side Effects

Conclusion

For the money, this was a pretty good product, but the flavors were nothing special and there's nothing here that will build you muscle faster than any other whey. If you need whey on the cheap, this is a good buy. If you're willing to pay for "mouth-watering flavor" then save your pennies for a more premium product.

October 7, 2018

• Tasty
  • Fat Reduction

I used L-Carnitine 3000 pre-workout on days that I worked out and before my first meal on days that I didn't. I only lost 2lbs over the month, but I lost a decent amount of fat off my waist and my back. If you're looking for some non-stim fat loss, I'd look at this product.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I've recently cut down from the 84kg class to the 72kg class. I'm about 69kg right now, and I wanted to shed a few more kg before I switch gears and work on building muscle.

I wanted to give L-Carnitine 3000 a shot because it's a mix of diffe...

I wanted to give L-Carnitine 3000 a shot because it's a mix of different types of carnitine, so there's potential for fat loss benefits and for improved muscle recovery

I lift 4 days a week using an upper/lower split, and on my off days, I run.

L-Carnitine 3000 has 1.5g L-Carnitine, 750mg ALCAR, and 750mg LCLT.

ALCAR is used to help mobilize fat and LCLT is used to improve muscle recovery.

3g is a reasonable dose, and in particular, 750mg is good for ALCAR and 750mg is good for LCLT.

I got the Rainbow Candy flavor, and it was fine 7/10. It was a little sweet and a little sour. I thought it was a bit too sour for my tastes, but it wasn't jarring. I'm not sure I know what rainbow candy actually tastes like. It reminded me of shoving a bunch of nerds in my mouth at once and tasting a bunch of different flavors.

I didn't mix it at all. I just downed a spoonful and then followed it with water.

I took either a spoonful pre-workout (I train before breakfast), or a spoonful before my first meal (on rest days).

I haven't used L-Carnitine of any form in at least a year, and I couldn't remember what my experience was with ALCAR the last time I took it, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised with L-Carnitine 3000.

Objectively, I know I got leaner in the 4 weeks that I used the product. The scale didn't shift much, but I lost about an inch off my waist and my once fitting leggings are now too loose.

Subjectively, I felt more energized during my workouts. I train at about 5AM and I didn't use any pre-workout. I'm not sure if L-Carnitine is supposed to provide energy acutely (it does help the body utilize energy systemically), but I felt something.

I can't really say if this product helps with muscle recovery. The program I was running at the time (Brian Alrushe's Powerbuilding Routine) was for me pretty light in volume and the intensity wasn't particularly high. My recovery was already on point before I started using the program, so there wasn't much room for improvement.

I would have to try the product with a more aggressive training program in order to give feedback on the muscle recovery.

The lowest price I saw for this product was $16. That comes down to just over 50 cents a serving and is comparable to similar products.

Side Effects

Conclusion

VMI put together a nifty little L-Carnitine product. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a bit of a boost with fat burning.

September 11, 2018

• Excellent Taste
    • Hydrating

I used this product before I ran, intra workout (for my lifting sessions) and sometimes in the afternoon just because it tastes good. It kept me hydrated and performing well. No complaints here.

I'm a powerlifter and I recently started running, so I need to watch my water intake/electrolytes so I don't get dehydrated. I saw a buy two get 1 free deal for Hydra-Charge and decided to give it a shot.

In one scoop (4.7g), we have 10 calories, 2g carbs, 1g taurine, 500mg coconut water powder, 239mg electrolytes (calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, and potassium, and 100mg of a SPECTRA (a trademarked blend of different fruits and veggies).

I like that they have different electrolytes, but I wish there were more of them. Other than that, I like the profile as it is.

I got one tub of each flavor: fruit punch, orange mango, and apple limeade. All three flavors were good, but orange mango was my favorite (9/10). Mango's my favorite fruit, so I'm biased in that regard. The apple limeade was my second favorite, 8.5/10. The fruit punch was a bit too sweet for me (8/10), but I just added more water to compensate.

The mixability was pretty good. One scoop would dissolve in my shaker. I used about 16 oz of water.

I used 1 scoop at a time, and would have 1-2 servings a day.

I found this product to be pretty effective.

They say if you're thirsty while training then you're already dehydrated. I'm not sure if that's actual science or bro science, but when I drink hydra charge in the morning, I'm less thirsty throughout the day.

I had less dry mouth/cotton mouth during training, which is another indicator that I was well-hydrated.

I also just felt like I could perform better. I'm not sure if that was entirely physical. It could have been the placebo.

I also felt better during my lifting sessions and during my runs on days I drank hydra charge vs. days that I didn't.

I got 3 tubs for $48, and each tub has 60 servings, so that was about .$27/serving. To me, that's a pretty solid deal. Electrolyte supplements can run from $.20-$.45, and this is one of the better ones I have used (in terms of performance and flavor).

Right now, I can get it for about $20/tub, which is about .33/serving. That's still acceptable to me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you want to stay hydrated and have your water taste good, get Hydra-Charge. It's worth it.

September 7, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Quality Ingredients
      • Good Micros
      • Digestive Enzymes
      • Not Enough Calories
      • Not Enough Fat

Core MRP has a nice profile, but the flavor was disappointing and the texture is gritty. The other flavors could be better, but I'm hesitant to get another tub at this price.

I'm a personal trainer who competes in powerlifting and recently started running. I didn't have a fridge or a microwave at work over the summer (have both now), so I wanted an MRP, so that I could have a decent lunch and avoid eating take out/fast food.

I saw Core MRP for sale and decided to try the Blueberry Crumb Cake

One serving is 2 scoops ...

I saw Core MRP for sale and decided to try the Blueberry Crumb Cake

One serving is 2 scoops (68g) and will give you 27g protein, 27g carbs (5g fiber, 2g sugar), 3g fat (1g saturated) and 245 calories overall, and also comes with a pretty solid micro profile. We have Vitamin A, C, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin D, E,and K1 to name a few.

The carbs come from oats and barley.

The protein is a blend of from cold-processed whey protein concentrate, Milk protein concentrate, micellar casein, and cold processed whey protein isolate.

There's also a digestive enzyme blend (protease, amylases, lipase, and lactase).

My two critiques are that it could use more calories overall (245 is a small meal) and more fat. You could mix it with milk for more cals and more fat, but I didn't have a fridge at work, so I was mixing it with water. If I had a fridge, I just would have brought a meal.

The taste was not good, 4/10. It tasted like artificial blueberry mixed with a multivitamin. It was chuggable, but the flavor really missed the mark for me.

The texture was also not very pleasing on the tongue. It had a chalky mouth feel and when I used a shaker bottle, I had some clumping issues.

I used 2 scoops at a time with 12 oz of water.

The product was reasonably effective. It would keep me full during my work shift, and it kept me from relying on take out on days I had work.

Where the effectiveness failed, though, was with the flavor. I did not look forward to drinking this product, and I often had gum on hand to keep the taste from lingering.

In terms of recovery, I didn't notice any difference between when I was taking the product and when I wasn't. My overall calories didn't change, so I wasn't expecting to see anything.

I can, though, say the product is easy to digest. I think the added enzymes are useful.

One tub is $36, which is $1.8/serving. This isn't bad for an MRP as they're intended to be a meal replacement vs. a standard protein powder that is usually $1-$1.3/serving.

The only problem was that the calories per serving is low. If a standard meal is 500 calories (just guessing here), then I'd need 4 scoops, which brings me to $3.6/serving. Still less than getting takeout, but not as much. I can get lunch for $5 where I'm am.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This product could have been a go to for me if they fix the flavor. At $36, I'm not willing to get another tub and risk more disappointment. Improve the taste, and we'll talk. Improve the taste and add some more calories/fat, then I will buy.

August 22, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Open Label
      • Amino Profile Given
      • WPC-80
      • A Bit Bland
      • A Bit Expensive

I wanted to get Genetidyne because they use real candy pieces in their product, so I thought "that had to taste good". I got the vanilla snickers, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't "so good either," kind of a letdown. Also, the shake was too thin for my liking and the macros aren't great. It's an okay product, but I'd pass on this flavor combination.

I'm a powerlifter currently shedding some vanity pounds. I use protein powder almost every day to keep my protein intake high while keeping my calories on the lower side.

I train 4 days a week (upp...

I train 4 days a week (upper/lower split) and will do 3-4 cardio sessions through out the week.

When I saw Genetidyne on Stack3d, I knew I had to try it. I got three different products, and this is is my final review.

Genetidyne uses WPC-80 that has been cold-processed and comes from Wisconsin. WPC-80 is the best whey concentrate you will see in the market. You'll need to look at WPI or hydrolyzed whey if you want a higher whey percentage (and some hydrolyzed proteins are only 80% whey).

In one scoop (30g) we get:
      18g protein, 5g carbs (>3g sugar), 18g protein, and >3g fat for 114 calories. In terms of micros, we have: 10% RDA Calcium, 6% RDA Phosphorus 2% RDA Iron 16% RDA Magnesium.

The protein here is a bit low, but this is a protein powder blended with candy. I expect most of their consumers are here for the taste and not necessarily the macros. They do, though, offer the amino profile on the tub.

I went with the vanilla snickers (I got different flavors for each product I ordered), and it was okay 6.5/10. The snickers pieces were good, although I would have liked to see them a bit bigger.

The disappointing part for me was the vanilla. There was a vanilla flavor there, but it was weak and a bit bland. If they had gone with a french vanilla, it would have complimented the snickers well or maybe if they had added some salt. Snickers bars are a bit salty, so having that would have really made the flavor memorable.

The mixability was fine. The shakes were too thin for me, but the powder dissolved well (except the Snickers pieces. Those won't dissolve).

I usually went with one scoop. I tried double scooping to see if that made a better shake and it did, but I did not do that often. Else, I would have finished the tub in two weeks. Most of the time, I just stirred one scoop into yogurt.

I thought the product was reasonably effective. It was easy to drink; it helped me meet my protein goals without costing me too many calories, and it was easy to make sure I was getting enough leucine per serving. (I really wish all companies posted their amino profiles or at least the quality of whey they use).

In terms of satiety, the product was okay. In water, you get little/no satiety (not surprising), but with yogurt, I found that I stayed full for a good 3-4 hours. The powder mixed with milk was in the middle. I'd say I stayed full for 2-2.5 hours.

I can't say that I saw enhanced recovery or anything that I can attribute to this product specifically. Whey is whey. Meet your macros. Eat your food. Gains will come.

One 2lb tub is $34 which is a little high for a whey concentrate (but not exorbitant). You're looking at $1.13/serving, which is a bit much to me. $1/serving is more typical. You can get a better deal if you get a 5lb tub ($1.07/serving), but you have to commit to 5lbs, which you may not want to do. It would be nice to see this product in more stores; then the price would most likely come down a bit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Genetidyne made a decent effort here, but I would not get another tub of this protein as it is now. If they adjusted the flavor a bit (and maybe the price too but mostly the flavor) we can talk. I do, though, like some of their other products, so I do think they are a brand worth talking about, just get their whey isolate instead.

Overall
      Thanks to TC Nutrition for sending it out!
        August 20, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Decent Pumps
      • Open Label
      • Inaccurate Label Claims

This is a pretty solid pre-workout, high energy, solid pumps, but there are a number of other products that will do the same job, so I'd only recommend this one if it's on sale.

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I'm currently shedding some vanity pounds and getting ready for a 10k. I hadn't heard of TC Nutrition before, but the profile was good, so I decided to give Batch 27 a go.

They offer two options in the profile: 1 full scoop or 1/2 a scoop. One full scoop, gives you:

300mg caffeine (the front says 325 but caff...

300mg caffeine (the front says 325 but caffeine citrate is only 50% caffeine).

8g Citrulline Malate 2:1 (5.3g citrulline)- Citrulline malate is a pump enhancer and can also help with muscular endurance. 8g is a pretty liberal dose.

1.8g betaine Betaine is a genereal health supplement that people are now taking for athletic performance: improved power output, muscular endurance etc. I personally haven't seen any benefit from it, but there is some research to support it's use. 1.8g is a bit low. People often use 2.5g/day (sometimes split in two doses).

1g Creatine HCl- Creatine is one of the best known and studied ergogenic aids out there. The most common one is creatine monohydrate (which is dirt cheap and very bioavailable). Here, we have creatine hydrochloride which is supposed to be more absorbable, so less of it is needed. I honestly think that's marketing bs. There are countless studies on CM. There are virtually none on C-HCl and the only one I could find suggests that it may be worse than CM. In any event, 1g is too low.

600mg Agmatine- Agmatine is a metabolite of arginine and is often used as a pump enhancer. I've found it to be very effective for that purpose. I think this is a good dose.

500mg L-Carnitine- Carnitine supplements are often used for various reasons. It can help with fat loss, insulin sensitivity, etc. It's commonly dosed at 500mg-2000mg per day.

250mg Theobromine- Theobromine is mild stimulant and a vasolidator. More research is needed in terms of how to dose it.

110mg Synephrine- This is a common weight loss ingredient. It's chemically related to ephedrine, but no where near as potent or effective. I honestly think it's just a filler ingredient.

100mg l-theanine- This amino acid will help take the jitteriness away from caffeine. I like it's addition here. The dose is reasonable. Too much can make you feel groggy.

5mg black pepper extract- This can help improve the absorption of other supplements. Unfortunately, I don't think it will help with any of the ingredients in this product. A lot of companies add it because it's hot right now.

120 mcg Huperzine A- a nootropic similar to a racetam that may need to be cycled. This is a good dose.

I got the Sour Batch flavor, and I thought it was pretty good, 8/10. It tastes like a sour candy.

The mixability was fine. There was some residue in my shaker, but no clumping issues.

I started with a 1/2 scoop as that was one of the options on the label. I also tried 3/4 scoop and a full scoop and I used 3/4 most of the time. I only used a full scoop on a day that I felt like I was dragging

I found this product to be pretty effective when I used either 3/4 a scoop or a full scoop. The energy was strong without being jittery (I don't like shaking when I'm trying to lift), and it would last about two hours, which was more than enough time for me to finish my workouts.

The pumps were nice and full. The vascularity was decent, and I actually found that I liked the focus at 3/4 scoop better than I liked it at a full scoop.

At 1/2 a scoop, the energy and focus were still decent, but the pumps were not there. That's not surprising as 1/2 a scoop will not give you enough citrulline or enough agmatine.

One tub is $45, which is a lot for a 20 scoop product ($2.25/serving). If you use 3/4 scoop at a time, you get 26 servings, which brings you down to ($1.73/serving). I still, though, think that is too high. There are a number of pre-workouts out right now that are similar and cost $30-32.

Batch 27 is almost 50% more than the competition right now. That's just too much.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I enjoyed my time with Batch 27. I just can't justify paying that much for it when there are other products I liked just as much that were cheaper. If the price came down (and made some minor tweaks from the formula) I think they could have a top contender.

August 13, 2018

• Good Digestion
      • Natural Protein
      • Amino Profile
      • Electrolytes
      • Digestive Enzymes
      • Incredibly Foamy

I got the chocolate fudge cookie. It tasted like a chocolate fudge pop to me, and the stevia wasn't overpowering. It made good mug cakes, but the shakes were a bit too foamy. I recommend it if you want a naturally flavored product. Else, stick w/ the regular VMI Protolyte.

I'm a competing powerlifter, currently cutting some vanity pounds before I bulk in the winter. I'm lifting 4 days a week using Brian Alrushe's Powerbuilding Program and I'm running 3 days a week in preparation for a 10k race in October.

I really enjoyed VMI's Protolyte, so w...

I really enjoyed VMI's Protolyte, so when I saw they had a natural version in the Troops Program, I had to try it. I've had a few natural protein powders before and they never tasted good. I hoped VMI would do better than the rest.

One scoop (27.6g) gives you 21g protein, >1g fat, 1g carbs (0g sugar), and is 105 calories. There are also 10.5g EAAs per scoop, added electrolytes, and VMI gives us the amino profile on the tub.

In terms of ingredients, VMI uses non-GMO cold processed whey protein isolate, cocoa powder, natural flavors, xanthan gum, stevia, and an enzyme blend.

I thought it tasted pretty good for a natural protein (8/10). There was a clear chocolate flavor. There was no bitterness. In my experience, natural proteins usually bitter from the stevia. My one critique would be that it tasted more like a fudge pop than actual fudge. This product, though, did not taste as good as the regular Protolyte.

Mixability (6/10) This is where the product started to falter. I don't know what happened (guessing VMI had too much xanthan gum in the product) but my shakes were excessively foamy. They didn't look as bad as some of the pictures I saw of the vanilla cake batter, but I would say 20-30% of my shaker cup was foam.

The xanthan gum, however, did come in handy when I made mug cakes in the microwave. They came out great every time. The product also mixed well with yogurt.

Dose- I had a scoop at a time.

For me, this product was pretty effective. I usually drank it (or ate it) post workout, and my recovery has been pretty solid over the past month. (I had been concerned that my running would affect my lifting, but so far my legs are doing fine)

Protolyte Naturals digested easily, and it was very easy to fit into my macros.

On its own, it was not very satiating, but I would not expect that for 105 calories and almost no fat.

With milk, however, the satiety was better, and it was best, when I mixed it with greek yogurt.

The lowest price I saw was $40 for a tub, which is $1.6/serving. This is a bit expensive to me. I can usually get a whey isolate for $1.1-$1.3/serving. That being said, I think the price is fair. One, those other products may not give me the amino profile or have added electrolyte and enzymes (all of which add value).

Also, when I looked up the costs of some other natural protein powders, they were $2/serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

VMI gave us a pretty solid natural protein option (they just need to fix the foaming issue). If you don't care about natural sweeteners vs. artificial ones, go one to regular Protolyte.

Thanks for letting me try it.

Overall
      Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
        July 30, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Convenient
      • Lactose Free
      • No Bloating
      • Low Fat
      • A Bit Chalky
      • No Amino Profile

The Dutch Apple Pie tasted okay. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The macros are decent, but there's no amino profile, so I'm unsure of the protein quality. It is reasonably priced, but I would pass on this one.

I'm a personal trainer, and right now, we don't have a fridge at work, so my lunch options are limited. I saw MRE in the Troops program and thought it would be a good alternative to beef jerky or buying restaurant food. I've had Redcon1 products before and enjoyed them, so my expectations were high.

Right now, I'm cutting vanit...

Right now, I'm cutting vanity pounds, so the MRE shake was my largest meal of the day. I also fast one day a week.

One serving is 4 scoops (130g) and gives us 525 calories, 47g protein, 75g carbs (8g fiber, 5g sugar), and 4g fat >1 saturated. We also have 250mg potassium and 200mg sodium.

I would like to see more fat, though, as this is a meal replacement and 4g is pretty low. It would be nice to see 10-15g of fat and to bring the carbs down a bit (to keep the calories the same).

I like that the product uses rolled oats for carbs.

This is a diary free product. The protein is a blend of beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, and pea protein. I really wish Redcon1 gave us an amino profile here.

Usually beef protein products are just collagen which is good for your skin, but offers nothing in terms of a quality protein source. Salmon protein powder is similarly untrustworthy, and I couldn't even find anything on chicken protein powder that wasn't marketing.

47g of protein is good amount, but we don't know what all the protein actually is.

I asked for, and received, the Dutch Apple Pie. When I opened the tub, I got that smell of cinnamon that tells you that you're about to eat apple pie. I was excited. Unfortunately, the taste did not live up to the scent, 6.5/10.

The initial taste was alright, but the finish was really earthy. It wasn't a beet flavor but it reminded me of beets. It's hard to describe. It lingered through which was the real issue.

The mixability was okay. I didn't have any big clumps but it was a little sludgy when I used my shaker bottle.

I used 4 scoops in 16 oz of water.

For me, the product was fairly effective. It was quick and convenient, easy on my stomach, and it kept me full for hours, which is what I needed.

My training has been going pretty well the past six weeks, but I'm in my off season now and not chasing any PRs, so I can't say anything cool like my recovery has improved X amount since I started taking this product.

Honestly, I'm not pushing myself that hard right now, compared to what I'm used to doing.

One tub is $72, and has 25 servings, so we're looking at $2.88. This is actually pretty good for an MRP. I compared this product to two others and one was over $3 serving and the other was $1.6 serving, but only had half the calories, so if you double scooped it, you're looking at $3.2/serving.

All of these options are cheaper than buying takeout (save the $1 menu), so if that's your other option, there's clearly decent value here.

I would have rated the value higher if I had liked the taste.

Side Effects

Conclusion

All in all, this was a decent rough draft, but it needs refinement to be a good final product. If Redcon1 were to (1) give us the amino profile, (2) fix the flavoring, and (3) add more fat, they would have a knockout product.