smashley23

• Member has been active for 1 year, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by smashley23

Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  November 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Quality
  • No Bloat
  • True Label Disclosure
  • Improved Recovery

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I just started my off season. I'm trying to lose as much fat as I can (within reason) before the end of the year, and next year, I'm going to try to put on some more muscle. I'm a bit undersized for my weight class.

This is a very straight forward carb supplement from Nutra Bio (open label as always).

In one scoop (28g), we get 25g of Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin and the following electrolytes (525mg Calci-K, 157mg Sodium Phosphate, and 140mg Di Magnesium Malate).

The rest is flavoring and coloring.

H...

The rest is flavoring and coloring.

Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin is a popular carb source because it spends less time in your stomach than other carb sources, e.g. glucose. This means faster absorption of nutrients, increased post-workout recovery, and less bloating.

25 grams is a common dose. I couldn't find much on what is a clinical dose. I did find a study where 15g was enough to reduce the athletes rate of perceived exertion, but I suspect that the right dose will be highly individual.

I got the orange mango flavor, and it's pretty good albeit a little light in flavor, 8/10. The orange was more pronounced for me than the mango.

It tastes more like an orange candy flavor than a natural orange flavor.

The mixability was great, 10/10. I used a shaker bottle and had no grittiness and no residue on the bottom, which has been a problem for me with other carb supplements.

I used 20g most times as I was cutting, and I wanted to save more of my calories for my meals. The one exception was on my meet when I had 40g that day (20g in each shaker bottle).

My energy held up through out that day, so I would say 40g is a good amount if you'll be working out for an extended amount of time, like at a meet or a tournament. 20g was sufficient for my normal workouts.

I used this product intra workout and for me it was quite effective, 9/10.

I found that my energy levels stayed high through out my workouts, my pumps were fuller, and that my hydration was pretty good (no cotton mouth, etc).

I found that I was less sore after my workouts.
    Also, I experienced no bloating, cramping, or any other issues that some people have with carb supplements.

I enjoyed Super Carb on its own and stacked with Intra Blast.

You can get the 2lb tub (30 servings) for $30 or the 4lb tub (60 servings) for $54. This comes down to $1/serving for the small tub and $.90/serving for the large one.

I think this is pretty fair. Nutra Bio is using a trademarked form HBCD Cluster Dextrin, which of course will cost more than just using any HBCD.

I found three other companies that use it

and two of them charged more. One charges $2/serving (the serving size is slightly larger), and the other charges about $1.28.

One of the companies costs less, $.70/serving, but this company has been caught amino spiking and selling other products that were adulterated.

I would rather pay more for a brand I can trust.

Side Effects

None for me.

--Conclusion----

Super Carb is a very good carb supplement, and I would recommend it to anyone who one to try.

Great job Nutra Bio!

November 14, 2017

• Increased Focus
    • Increased Pump
    • Kills Appetite

I'm a competing powerlfiter, and I just finished my third meet. I'm about to start a lengthy off season and I want to put on as much muscle as I can while staying in my weight class.

Don't be fooled my Reign's small serving size (10.24g/2 scoops). It packs quite a punch.

In two scoops, we have:

5g citrulline- This is a common pump enhancer which can also reduce fatigue and muscle soreness. You want to see at least 4g, so we have a good dose here.

In two scoops, we have:

1g agmatine- Agmatine is also a pump enhancer and is sometimes used as a glucose disposal agent. Most of the literature on it, however, is for pain management or depression. Common doses for pre workouts range from 500mg-2g.

1g Pomegranate Extract- Pomegranate Extract is synergetic with other supplements and can increase pumps, help build muscle mass, and can help keep fat at bay.

300mg Vaso6- I believe Re1gn is the first pre-workout to feature Vaso-6. It's what epicatechin is supposed to be. In other words, the studies that were done on epicatechin that caused companies to start adding it to their supplements were actually done on Vaso-6. The companies had been using the wrong compound. Vaso-6 is supposed to help build strength and muscle

300mg caffeine- A fairly high dose (well for most people).

378mg (J. Regia, Stim X, and Eria Jarensis)- I don't know much of each stimulant is present, so I listed them all together. J. Regia is an exotic stimulant that Olympus Labs uses a lot. In my experience, it is similar to DMHA, but it does not cause me to crash. Stim X is a new stimulant. Eria Jarensis is often paired with DMHA.

40mg Theacrine (100mg tasteless theacrine)- Theacrine is similar to caffeine, but it is milder and has a longer half life. I'd like to see a bit more here, as too little theacrine can have a sedative effect. That being said, there are a lot of stimulants in the product already.

25mg Kannaease- This is an extract of Kanna, which helps elevate focus and mood

50mg Astra Gin- This is a trademarked compound that helps with the absorption of other supplements, e.g. citrulline.

I ordered two Re1gn flavors: Dragon's Mist and Lions Blood.

I thought Dragon's Mist was pretty good, 8/10. It tasted like blue raspberry to me. The only caveat was that I would get sick of drinking it about half way through.

Lion's Blood was not very good for me 6/10. It was quite bitter and even when I added stim-free quake to it, it was still bitter. I think it's supposed to be grapefruit.

The mixability was good, 9/10. Sometimes, with theacrine it settles on the bottom, but that wasn't a problem here.

Dosing- I used one scoop on most days. Sometimes, I used 1.5 if I needed an extra jolt. I usually take pre-workouts at the gym, but with Reign, I'd take it about 10 minutes before as theacrine takes some time to set in.

I'm at a powerlifting meet. It's been a long day, and I'm already getting tired, but I have one more deadlift and if I make it, I win my weight class.

That's what Re1gn feels like, even though it's just a normal day at the gym. The energy takes some time to get to you, but when it does, it does not let up. My workouts are 1.5-2 hours long, and I was never lacking energy with Re1gn.

Sometimes, though, the stims were a bit too much and would cause me to shake. This makes it harder for me to concentrate when I'm doing squats. Thus, I preferred Re1gn for upper body workouts.

I train fasted, so I tend to be somewhat flat when I get to the gym. That was no problem. The bicep pumps were real.

The focus was also nice. I don't know how much of that was the Kanna Ease and how much was the Stim X, but whatever it was, I was alert and ready to go.

The value here is quite good. The list price is $40, but Re1gn's gone on bogo at least twice, which brings you down to $20/tub, and right now, there's a store selling it for $26, which is still pretty good. Also, if you use 1-1.5 scoops like me, then you're getting about 30 servings/tub instead of 20.

Side Effects

I had a couple of side effects. One, Re1gn kills my appetite. That's fine when I'm cutting, but I'm going to be bulking soon, and I'll probably need to consider eating pre-workout, because I won't want to eat once I get back home.

Also, I had pre-ordered Re1gn, so the first Dragon's Mist I got was the re-called one. It was way too strong. 1.5 scoops made me feel ill and even at .5 scoop, it still felt weird. Lion's Blood though felt fine, so it was just that batch

OL has replaced my defective tub, so they made good it.

Conclusion

If you like stims, then you have to give Re1gn a try. It's worth it.

November 3, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Effective GDA
    • Dose Should Be Larger

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for a meet next weekend. I've been trying to hold my weight steady since I comfortably fit in my weight class. My weight has trended up a bit, but weigh ins should not be a problem.

This is a single ingredient product from San Nutrition. It's NA-R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, which means that it's R. Alpha Lipoic Acid that has been bonded to sodium for enhanced bioavailability. Each capsule contains 125mg of NA-R-ALA, which yields 100mg of R. ALA.

R. ALA is a common glucose disposal agent. It also has a num...

R. ALA is a common glucose disposal agent. It also has a number of other benefits; it can help increase blood flow, reduce diabetic-related nerve pain, and reduce HbA1c (which means that it can help reduce the risk of developing diabetes-related complications).

The product is advertised as having one pill per serving, but from what I've read, you want three pills for the nutrient partitioning benefits (or 300mg R. ALA).

There are no taste of mixability concerns here. This product is a pill product.

The pills are small, so they're easy to swallow.

I took three pills at a time, as I was interested in the gda benefits.

I used this product every day until I was out, so for 20 straight days. I always took it with my highest carb meal of the day, which is usually dinner, but sometimes it's lunch.

I do think this product was effective for me. My scale weight went up 4lbs in the past three weeks, but I've gotten a touch leaner (mostly my arms and my legs, stomach has been the same). I haven't had any issues with bloating.

This product is not too pricey. I got 2 bottles for $24, which comes out to $0.60/serving if you dose it properly. This is in line with other R. ALA products I found online.

There are cheaper GDA products out there, but many of them are under dosed. The products with a stronger profile can cost around $1/serving. I think this is a nice middle of the road option for people who want to try a GDA, but don't want to spend $30-$60 on a top tier product.

It's also nice for those who want to customize their GDAs.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I liked my run with this product. In general, I've had good experiences with SAN, and I recommend their products. It would be interesting to see how this product works for people who use R. ALA for other purposes.

5.5
    Thanks to Quantified Nutrition for sending it out!
      October 30, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Digests Well
    • Good Recovery
    • Too Sweet

I'm a competing powerlifter and I'm getting ready for my third meet in about two weeks. I've been maintaining my weight for the last six weeks or so, and I aim to get at least .8g/lb bodyweight in protein every day, which usually means 1 shake a day, but sometimes it's two.

Here we have an informed choice whey isolate product from Quantified Nutrition. Informed Choice is a certification program and the products that are IC-certified, have been analyzed for common substances that are banned by WADA and other organizations.

It's not 100%, ...

It's not 100%, but if you are a drug-tested athlete, like I am, then it's prudent to use Informed Choice/Informed Sport products when feasible to limit the risks of failing a test due to contamination or because the product is adulterated.In one serving, we have 120 calories, 25g protein, 1g fat, and 3g carbs (1 fiber, 1 sugar). We also have 153mcg Calcium, 312mcg Potassium, and 70mg sodium.

There are natural and artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, and emulsifiers in the product as well.

I opted for the chocolate truffle which is advertised as a milk chocolate taste. I must admit I prefer dark chocolate, but I do like truffles of all kind.
    I was not a fan of this protein powder taste wise, 6/10. It was way too sweet and the sweeteners in the product overpowered the chocolate flavor. I tried it in milk, and it water, and it was too sweet even with water.

The mixability was good, 8.5/10. There was a little foam at the top as to be expected, but there was no grittiness or clumps. The shakes were kind of thin. I was hoping that they'd be thicker given the xanthan gum and other emulsifiers in the product.

Dosing- One scoop was sufficient for me. 25g is enough to get a good MPS response. 40g might be better, but I usually mix my protein powder with fairlife anyway, so I get 38g per shake.

The scooper was a bit odd. It has a big scooper on 1 side and a small one on the other, so you can control your dose more carefully. An interesting idea, but I always use a food scale, so I don't really need two scooper sizes.

Protein is protein, so it will all be effective if the product meets label claims, and fits in your micros/macros.

Some people prefer isolates because they digest quicker, but I've never noticed any difference between high quality protein sources.

This product was easy to digest, which is good. Nothing extraordinary to report in terms of effectiveness.

This is the real kicker. 1 bag is $52.99 and is 30 servings which brings you to $1.77/serving. This is just too much to be competitive.

Yes, whey isolates cost more, and IC-certified products can cost more, but these factors are not enough to justify the price.

There are a number of other IC-certified whey isolates that are cheaper. I found one for about $1/serving, two for about $1.4/serving.

If there was something unique about this product to warrant a higher price (if I found it very delicious, or it used grass-fed cows, no artificial sweeteners, etc) I would understand, but as it stands, I just don't think this product is competitive with the other options on the market.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'm sorry to say that I would not buy this product as I just didn't enjoy the taste, and I would recommend other options to those who need an isolate (or an IC certified protein). If they work on the flavor and become more widely available (which will help with the price), I would reconsider.

October 28, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Innovative Formula
    • Helps With Joint Pain
    • Prop Blend

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I recently started running. I haven't had any serious joint issues, but sometimes I get nagging pains in my shoulders and knees. I've tried a myriad of joint support products over the years and when I saw Flexatril on sale, I decided to give it a try.

Flexatril is a joint support product from Scivation. It came to the market in February of 2016. They use a proprietary blend, which I'm typically not a fan of as they're usually just a way of hiding how weak a formula is, but Scivation has an innovative formula full of new ingredients, and I understand that they didn't want to be ripped off.

We have here a blend of:

MicroLactin: a hyperimmune form of milk which can help with osteoarthritis and possibly help with the immune system.

Ayuflex: a compound extracted from Terminalia chebula fruit which supports healthy joints and endothelial function.

Sensoril: a patented form of Ashwagandha that is used promote cardiovascular function, encourage more restful sleep, and increase resistance to fatigue

Lactase: enzymes that breakdown lactose. I assume this is for the microlactin.

Flexatril also has 5 cals, 2g of protein and 44mg calcium.

There is no taste or mixability. Flexatril is a pill product. One dose is 3 tablets. They're of medium size, fairly easy to swallow, and they don't have an aftertaste or anything.

Flexatril was fairly effective for me. I used it for a month straight, and it did help with my right knee. I'm not sure how I tweaked it, but my right knee was sensitive to certain movements: leg press, leg extensions, weighted sprints. After using Flexatril for a couple of weeks, I noticed that my knee pain had gone away entirely.

I say fairly effective because I also had soreness and my left shoulder, and although it lessened over the month, it is still there. I don't think that i have an actual injury (I couldn't expect Flexatril to solve that), and in the past, I've seen very quick results with cissus, so for me, I would have to say that cissus was more effective for shoulder pain than Flexatril.

You can get a bottle of Flexatril for around $20 now. One bottle lasts 30 days, and this price is in line with what other comprehensive joint support products cost, so I think the price is quite fair.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I think Scivation put together a nice product here. I personally will go back to using cissus because that has been the best joint support product for me, but I do think this product could be helpful for a lot of people, and at the price, why not give it a try?

Overall
    Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
      October 27, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Helps With Recovery
    • Increases Hydration
    • Rehydrates
    • A Little Expensive

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for a meet in November. I train five to six days a week, and I do heavy compound work (bench, squats, deadlifts), with lighter accessories for more volume (Db press, curls, leg extensions, etc.)

We have here an open label intra workout product from Nutra Bio. It has no additives or fillers. In one scoop of Intra Blast, we have:

10g EAAs- EAAs are essential amino acids, i.e. the amino acids we cannot synthesize and we need to get from our diet. They stimulate MPS more effectively than just using BCAAs and 10g is a good dose.

5g Glutamine- Glutamine is an amino acid often supplemented with for recovery. That being said, it usually ends up in your digestive tract unless it's paired with alanine (e.g. sustamine). 5g is a common dose.

2g Betaine- Betaine is a metabolite of choline, and it may be an effective ergogenic aid; more research is needed. It's common to take 2.5g a day in split doses.

1g OKG- OKG is an ionic salt which may help stave off muscle protein breakdown.

2g Taurine- Taurine is an amino acid that can improve insulin sensitivity, hydration, and serve other uses in the body. A common dose is 1-3g.

(800mg) Finally, we have an electrolyte blend of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. This is a solid electrolyte blend, featuring five of the seven major electrolytes.

I got the sweet tea flavor and it tasted just like sweet tea. I'd give the flavor a 9/10. It was sweet without being overly sweet, and with cold water it was delightful.

The mixability was decent. There was foam at the top which was expected given all of the aminos in the product, but sometimes the intra was a bit gritty. I always used a shaker bottle and cold water.

Dosing- I always used one scoop, which gives you 24g of active ingredients. I didn't see a need to use any more. Sometimes, I did pair the Intra Blast with Super Carb.

This intra workout was quite effective for me, 9/10. I ramped up my training volume while I was using Intra Blast to prepare for my meet, and my recovery between workouts was spot on. I was able to keep making progress on all of my main lifts and most of my accessories.

I usually add electrolytes to my intra workouts, but this was not needed with Intra Blast. I found that my hydration was very good with this product.

I also found that my endurance during the workout was improved. I can't attribute this to any particular ingredient in Intra Blast, but it was a nice result, nonetheless.

One tub retails for $40.00, but can be found for a bit less. I've seen it sell for $36.00 recently. That is a tad expensive, $1.2 per workout, but I think the price is fair given how well-rounded the product is. One scoop is 24g, which is about twice as much as you typically get with an intra-workout (assuming there are no added carbs).

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great intra workout product from a great company. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to give their performance and recovery something extra and is willing to pay for quality.

Thanks for letting me try this out.

Thanks to Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending it out!
      October 10, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Digests Easily
    • Good Texture
    • Tastes Good
    • Contains Trans Fat
    • Contains Collagen

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I spent the summer cutting, so that I would not have to water cut for my meet next month. Right now, I'm just maintaining my current weight.

These protein bars are oven baked and gluten free. They have 240 calories with 20g protein, 21g carbohydrates (1g fiber, 6g sugar), and 10g fat (6g saturated). The protein is whey isolate and whey concentrate. We don't know how much is isolate and how much is concentrate, but the isolate is listed first.

There's also 350mg sodium and 35mg cholesterol.

Other ingredients...

There's also 350mg sodium and 35mg cholesterol.

Other ingredients include: Soy Isolate, Collagen, Maltitol, and Mono and Diglycerides.

As far as I know, there are no vegetarian sources of collagen, so I would recommend that vegetarians not eat this protein bar.

Mono and di glycerides are trans fats, but they do not have to be listed as trans fat under FDA rules (since fats are defined as being triglycerides). It is unclear how much trans fat is in the product. At most, you should eat 2g of added trans fat for every 2,000 calories in your diet.

I was able to try the triple chocolate brownie and the peanut butter. The TCB was underwhelming for me, 6.5/10. It didn't taste bad, but there wasn't much chocolate flavor at all. I was straining to find it. When I hear triple chocolate brownie, I expect decadence and that was not present.

The Peanut Butter was considerably better, 8/10. It tasted like peanut butter and was sweet without being too sweet.

The bars are baked which gives them a softer texture than many other protein bars, and they have a nice crunch to them. I did find the bars, though, on the dry side, so you may want a glass of milk to wash them down.

There's no mixability factor here.

In terms of dosing, one bar would make a decent snack, not really enough to be a meal. Two bars could be a meal, but that might be too much trans fat. One bar could also be a good addition to a meal if there isn't enough protein present. Sometimes, this the case for me if I'm having pasta or a turkey sandwich or lunch.

Protein bars are just food. As long as they meet their label claims and as long as your diet is sound, they should be effective for you. I usually use protein bars to tide me over between meals. These protein bars kept me satiated for about two hours, which is fine for my purposes. I try to eat a meal every 4-5 hours, but if I'm working or running errands, I may need to stretch it for more. These bars would do well in a pinch.

I've seen these go for $3 for one bar and $27.99 for 12 bars. If you subscribe, then you can get them for about $22/box, which brings them under $2 a bar. I think this price is pretty okay. $2/bar is standard for protein bars when you're getting a 12 bar box. You can find them cheaper if you're thrifty/know where to look, but even if you get a good deal, you should expect to pay about $20 a box.

Side Effects

None, but if you have allergies, you should note that there is peanut and soy in the product.

Conclusion

This wouldn't be my every day protein bar (mainly because of the trans fat), but I could see it being an occasional treat. The peanut butter was good, and I would get it again. The TCB was not for me.

Overall
    Thanks to Transparent Labs for sending it out!
      October 8, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Disclosed Label
    • Research Backed Ingredients
    • Fully Dosed
    • Solid Pumps
    • Bad Flavor

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for my third meet. I lift six days a week (upper/lower).
    In a few weeks, I'll be peaking, which means more weight, less volume, and focusing on my competition lifts/commands

We have an open label (as always) pre workout from Transparent Labs.
    In Pre Series Bulk, there is:

Citrulline Malate 2:1 (6g)- Citrulline Malate is a pump enhancer and also can help with muscular endurance. 6g is a good dose

We have an open label (as always) pre workout from Transparent Labs.
    In Pre Series Bulk, there is:

CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine (4g) Beta Alanine increases physical performance in the 60-240 second range. It may be additive with creatine. 4g is a good dose-
    although you may want to split the daily dose in two for optimum absorption.

BCAAs 2:1:1: (4g)-BCAAs are three amino acids that are often supplemented with to aid athletic performance. 4g is on the low side. Most people would take 5-10g at a time. I'd rather see bulk leucine here. 4g would be effective and wouldn't cost any more.

BetaPure Betaine (2.5g) Betaine is a metabolite of choline. It can help reduce cortisol and increase muscle oxygenation. 2.5g is a good dose

Taurine (1.3g)- Taurine is an amino acid that has a wide variety of health benefits. 1.3g is a good dose. It's uptake, however, may conflict with beta-alanine

NALT (600mg) NALT is a modified version of tyrosine for increased absorption. It can reduce stress and increase mental cognition. 600mg is a good dose.

Choline Bitartrate (500mg)- Choline is a molecule used for either liver health or mental cognition. 500mg is a good dose, but Choline Bitartrate is not the best form for mental cognition. I'd rather see Alpha GPC or CDP Choline here.

Theanine (360mg)- Theanine is a non dietary amino acid. It can help take away the negative effects of caffeine, e.g. the jitteriness without sedating you. Typically, you twice as much of it as you do caffeine (which is exactly what we see here).

Caffeine (180mg)- Caffeine offers a variety of sports performance benefits: increased power output, running capacity, improves reaction time. 180mg is a moderate dose. It's more than a cup of coffee but less than many energy drinks.

Mucuna Pruriens (98% L-DOPA, 70mg)- This is a good source of L-Dopa. It can reduce cortisol, increase adrenaline, and increase subjective well-being. I'm not sure what a clinical dose is.

L-Norvaline (60mg)- Norvaline is an inhibitor of arginase, which means it can help your pumps last longer. 60mg might be a bit low. From what I could find, 100-200mg is a good dose

Synephrine HCL (50mg)- It's chemically similar to ephedrine but much less potent. It's often used in fat burners now that ephedrine is banned from being in dietary supplements. 50mg is a good dose.

Hordenine (25mg)- is a fat burner/nootropic. I couldn't find much information on it. Some experts have theorized that high amounts of it could be mistaken for opiates in a drug test, this has not been established through any trial/study.

BioPerine (5mg)- This is sourced out of piperine and can increase the absorption of other supplements. Unfortunately, none of those supplements are actually in this product. I don't know if BioPerine is actually doing anything here.

I got the Strawberry Lemonade, and it tasted bad. I'd have to give it a 3/10. It was very harsh tasting, like I was drinking pure lemon juice. I didn't get any sweetness or strawberry flavor.

The mixibility was good, 8/10. I didn't get any clumping and there was a little residue on the bottom of my shaker cup, but it wasn't substantial.

Dose- I used one scoop each time. I never felt the need to use any more. One scoop did a good job for me.

I really enjoyed my workouts with this product, 9/10.

The energy was quite strong, considering it was only 180mg of caffeine. I felt roaring and ready to go within minutes of taking it, and the energy would last the entire workout, which for me is 1-2 hours.

The pumps were very good. I do a fair amount of bodybuilding/pump/fluff work at the end of my workouts, and I never had trouble getting a good pump.

The focus was also nice. I felt dialed in when I used this pre-workout.

PreSeries Bulk comes in three sizes: 30 servings, 60 servings, and 90 servings. If you get the largest size, it's $101.25, which is $1.12/serving. I think this is quite fair. It's a well -formulated, open-label product and a lot of pre-workouts of this caliber are $1.25-$1.50/serving.

Most people, though, probably won't want to commit to such a large container without trying it first. You can get 30 servings for $41.65, $1.39/serving or 60 servings for $75.65, $1.26/serving.

Both of these prices are within the norm.

Side Effects

None for me.

Conclusion

This is a very good pre-workout, especially for those of us who would like a moderate amount of caffeine, at a fair price.

I only have a few suggestions in terms of improvements: fix the strawberry lemonade flavor, switch the BCAAs for Leucine, and switch the Choline Bitartrate for Alpha GPC or CDP Choline. That would take this pre from very good to AMAZING!

October 4, 2017

• Tasty

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for a meet in November. I lift six days a week, and I also run 2-3 days a week for some cross training. Currently holding my weight, but I'll start cutting again after the meet.

This is a whey product featuring three different kinds of whey. 1/2 of the whey is WPI 90%. 40% of the whey is WPC 80%, and the remaining 10% is hydrolized WPI.

I like that this product is open label. Most companies do not tell you how much of the whey is isolate or concentrate, and for all I know, the products are 1% whey isolate and 99% concentrate, so they can charge more.

We have 140 calories and 25g per scoop, which is normal for whey product. You'll find some products that are leaner and others that have more calories.

Each scoop has 2g of fat (1g saturated fat) and 5g of carbs (3g sugar- 1g added sugar) and for micronutrients we have 134mg and 115mg potassium.

There are also added enzymes, for those who are lactose intolerant.

Ghost Whey comes in four flavors. I got three of them (skipped milk chocolate) and they were all good.

Blueberry Toaster Pastry 9.5/10- This is a really unique one. It doesn't taste very sweet like most blueberry proteins. It's a tart blueberry flavor with chunks of pastry. You want to use a shaker bottle for this flavor. A blender will ruin the toaster pastry pieces, and they'll get soggy in proats.

Peanut Butter Cereal Milk 9/10. This is my favorite peanut butter whey. I like that it's a salty peanut butter flavor and not an overly sweet peanut butter flavor. My first thought when I tried it was peanut butter captain crunch, so they definitely nailed it. This was the best flavor in proats.

Cereal Milk 8/10. This one is good, but I didn't get a cereal milk taste from it, which cost it a point. To me, it tasted like horchata but without the cinnamon. I did like it and it goes very well in greek yogurt, just sweet enough to counteract the sourness, but it was my third favorite.

The mixability was solid across the board. Each flavor did well with a shaker bottle, no grittiness or clumping.

I used 1 scoop each time, which was just right for me. I usually mix my protein in yogurt or milk, so I have an extra 13-15g coming from that.

Whey is powdered food. Provided that it meets its label claims and fits in your macros, it will be effective for you. I've never put much stock into using x type of protein pre workout and y type of protein before bed. If you're getting enough protein, and you eat a variety of it, you will reap the benefits. That being said, this stuff is very tasty, which does make it easier to get in enough protein.

Ghost Whey is expensive. It is good, but $40 for a 2lb tub is a bit ridiculous in my book. I got it on sale, so I spent $64 for 3 tubs, which was much more reasonable.

I'm happy with my purchase, but I will not pay full price. When my tubs run out, I'm waiting for the next sale.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Ghost Whey is good. I like the flavors, the mixability was on point, and each flavor had its own use/benefit, but yeah $40 a tub, that's just too scary for me.

Overall
    Thanks to Magnum Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
      October 1, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Lowers Blood Glucose
    • Increases Insulin Sensitivity
    • Open Label
    • Could Use Better Dosing

I am a competing powerlifter and I'm getting ready for a meet in November; I also started running recently and just finished my first 5k. I am trying to figure out the right balance of running/lifting, but my priority is powerlifting.

We have an open label GDA product from Magnum, which I like. A lot of GDAs are prop blends, so you don't know how much you are getting of each ingredient. Mimic is made in a certified cGMP facility and is made in Canada.

The first ingredient is Jiaogulan (95% Gypenosides) 207mg. This is an extract from Gynostemma Pentaphyllum. It's a cheaper alternative to Panex Ginseng and may be more anti-diabetic. It can help activate AMPK, which is important for endurance training and for bringing glucose into the muscle.

It can also help inhibit PTP1B, which may help prevent obesity.

A standard dose is at 60-180mg, so we have a good dose here.

Next up is Berberine, which can lower blood glucose, insulin levels, and improve insulin sensitivity. We have 200mg here which is low. A standard daily dose is 900mg-2000mg. Too much berberine at once can give people an upset stomach, so it is common to split the daily dose over a few meals.

Third, we have cinnamonum cassia 8:1 extract (200mg). A standard dose is 1-6g, but this is a concentrated extract, so 200mg may be fine. I would, though, like to see ceylon cinnamon instead of cassia cinnamon for a lower Coumarin level (coumarin is toxic in high doses).

Fourth, we have R. ALA (200mg) which can help reduce the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy and help improve blood flow. A standard dose is 300-600mg, so we could use a bit more here.

Fifth, we have Chromium 454 (400 mcg), a patented form of chromium. Chromium can help lower blood glucose levels. You need at least 200mcg of Chromium 454, so we have a good dose here.

We have no taste or mixability issues as this is a pill product.

One dose is two green pills. They're on the small side and are easy to swallow. The directions say to take a dose with your post-workout meal, but I don't think that's the best way to use the product. Since it has ingredients that can activate AMPK, you should take it away from your post workout meal since AMPK can interfere with MTOR, which is the metabolic pathway that helps build muscle.

Also, your insulin sensitivity should be raised from the workout, so it shouldn't be necessary. I would use Mimic with high carb meals (that are not peri-workout) and for cheat meals (if you have any). I usually train before breakfast and use Mimic with dinner.

I thought Mimic was fairly effective. I didn't get bloated when I used it with my higher carb meals or cheat meals. My weight stayed about the same over the past month, but I could see that I was getting leaner.

I've seen Mimic go for $28.49-$29.99, which brings you to about $1/serving. I think this is an okay price. There are other GDAs out there that cost about the same and there are some that are cheaper.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I think this is a solid option in the GDA world, and it's worth checking out. I would, though, like to see some more berberine, a bit more R-ALA, and a different cinnamon source.

Thanks for letting me try it out Magnum.