shinndigg

Expert Reviewer

• Reputation is high. (+2036)
  • Member has been active for 7 years, and was last online today

Reviews by shinndigg

Thanks to Barbender Nutrition for sending it out!
  January 17, 2018

• Good Endurance
  • Underdosed In Areas
  • Moderate Pump
A big thanks to the peeps over at Barbender Nutrition for providing this product to the TROOPs. It's not too hard to find a pre-workout these days, finding a good one however is a much bigger task. Here is how Torque stacked up for me:

Dosage

One scoop, taken 20-30 minutes prior to workout.

Dosage

One scoop, taken 20-30 minutes prior to workout.

Ingredient Profile (7/10)

This profile starts off on a rather high note with 3 grams of Beta Alanine, which is the bare minimum I feel you should take if you're going to use it. Next up is 3 grams of AAKG and 3 grams of Citrulline Malate. Personally I feel they would have been better served ditching the AAKG and going with 6 grams of Citrulline as I feel AAKG doesn't do much for pumps, or at least not as much as Citrulline does. One and quarter grams of Betaine is next in the formula, which is a little underdosed as 2 grams is more of the baseline for an effective dose. 500 mg of Tyrosine for focus support, and this does pack a somewhat moderate dose of caffeine with 280 mg. It falls right in line with the 250 to 300 mg range that I prefer. So while there are some good ingredients in this, it does lack in some areas.

Mixture (8/10)

Pre-workout mixture is a lot like Russian Roulette in terms of if you're going to get a product that mixes fully, with Torque it leans more towards the mixes fully side. Very minimal undissolved powder left over and no lumps or clumps.

Taste (7/10)

I sampled the Watermelon flavor for this product. It was not terrible, but nothing to write home about. It did taste a little on the "chemically" side in my opinion, but definitely palatable and tolerable.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

Here's my breakdown on the 5 points of performance I look at in a Pre-Workout product:

*Strength- No creatine in this formula or anything to truly support strength performance, so this gets a "D" in that category.

*Endurance- An adequate supply of Beta Alanine will help you with muscle endurance, Beta Alanine is one of the few ingredients I truly believe in and hang my hat on, "B+" grade in this area.

*Pumps- Low on the Citrulline side, and include AAKG which I find to be subpar performer when it comes to providing pumps compared to Citrulline or Agmatine. I wasn't blown away with the pumps I got from this, so gets a "C" in this area.

*Energy- A good dose of caffeine that won't tweak you out, but will set you up to throw some weight around. Energy gets a "B" grade.

*Focus- 500 mg of Tyrosine is a sufficient dose for focus. No tunnel vision or Nootropic like effects, but decent focus factor. This gets a "B-" grade.

Value (9/10)

While not widely available, you can get this for a reasonable price at Barbender's website for $26.49 for 30 servings, or 88 cents a serving. This does make for a good baseline product at this price that you could go buy some bulk aminos like Citrulline or Agmatine and creatine to add to this and still come out at a decent per serving price.

Conclusion and Verdict

Torque is a pre-workout product that while decent in some areas, overall is very mediocre and moderate overall. With the tight competition field in the pre-workout arena, this is a product that fades into obscurity without standing out or distinguishing itself. It would be good to use as a base product if you want to add more to it though and is a good value. While far from the worst product I've used, this wasn't good enough for me to give a thumbs up to. So a "Meh" rating from me.

Thanks to Adaptogen Science for sending it out!
  January 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Lose Weight
  • Supports Fat Loss
    Thanks going out to the folks over at Adaptogen Science for hooking this up to the TROOPs. Carnitine is one of the best weight loss support supplements out there. This was my first delve into the liquid form of Carnitine.

Dosage

1 Teaspoon taken either in the morning, or with my last meal of the day as my schedule dictated.

Ingredient Profile (9/10)

Ingredient Profile (9/10)

The profile on this product is pretty straight forward. It starts with 3 grams of Carnitine per serving, which is the very least you want to supplement with if you're going to use it in my opinion. You also get what is called a "Water Shed Complex" consisting of grains of paradise and gamma butyrobetaine estyl ester chloride, so it appears they throw in some ingredients to also help you keep off the water weight as well as help burn some fat. There is also some filler, sucralose and artificial flavoring for those concerned with such things. Ultimately you get what you need from a liquid Carnitine and an added bonus, so thumbs up in my book.

Taste (8/10)

I had the Blue Raspberry flavor in this product, which is a flavor I tend to back and forth on but in this instance I didn't mind and actually enjoyed. I was expecting it to taste nasty almost like a cough syrup or something, but was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable the flavor was. No nasty aftertaste or lingering either.

Effectiveness (8.5/10)

I've always had decent results from using Carnitine while cutting, and this was no different for me. One of the more unpleasant facets of working out and fitness is when you have to cut back on calories and watch your marcos closely. So when you supplement with things like Carnitine and CLA that help you to achieve your objectives as this did it makes the effort worth it. Overall I dropped 6 pounds in my 5 weeks while on this, which is pretty good considering it was over the holidays and I wasn't doing as much cardio as I had committed myself to. My pants started fitting better and I was able to go one notch lower on my belt without feeling like I was going to strangle myself to death, so I am happy with the results.

Value (8/10)

Anyone who has used Carnitine knows it's one of the more expensive supplements out there. Imagine my shock when looking into this that the cheapest place I found this was...get ready for this...GNC. No...seriously...look:

$18.99 for a 16 oz bottle with 31 servings, or roughly 62 cents a serving. A surprisingly good deal in a very surprising location.

Conclusion and Verdict

Adaptogen's Carnitine 3000 is a solid liquid Carnitine product that features an effective dose of Carnitine along with an added bonus of water weight support complex. It's easy on the taste buds and effective in weight loss and fat support. The best place for value to get this is GNC, which is something that may never again be uttered in the supplement world. I give it the thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!

Overall
    Thanks to Adaptogen Science for sending it out!
      January 7, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Recovery
    • Better Hydration
    • Pricey
    • Strong Flavoring
    Big thanks to the folks over at Adaptogen Science for the hook up on this product to the TROOPs. Aminos are one of my favorite supplements and one that you can keep in rotation all the time regardless of your fitness objectives.

Dosage

One scoop taken peri-workout.

Dosage

One scoop taken peri-workout.

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

A strong profile that starts off with 7 grams of BCAAs in the 2:1:1 ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. Next up is 2 grams of Glutamine, which I think is too low of a dose to be effective. 1 gram of Citrulline is next, which I also think is a low dose to be effective for this ingredient. 1 gram of Coconut Water Powder and a 350mg electrolyte complex round out the profile. Overall a decent profile as far as BCAAs and hydration support go with some cursory "throw in" ingredients.

Mixture (9/10)

Like most BCAA products, this mixes well and almost instantly. Sometimes products with Glutamine can end up with undissolved clumps, but not the case here. As I will get into on the next section, I used a lot more water than called for in the directions. That could have been a contributing factor as to why it mixed so well for me.

Taste(7/10)

I had the Coconut Lime flavor for this product. The taste of this product was kind of a double edged sword for me. The flavor of this product is STRONG, intense even. So I cut with a whole bunch of water, the directions call for up to 20 oz but I ultimately ended up using a full liter (roughly 34 ounces) with this. Once I watered it down a little the taste was actually enjoyable. But with the 20 ounces of water the flavor was just too much for me. If you love a coconut explosion in your mouth you'll enjoy this, but if not you'll probably end up like me and needing to water it down.

Effectiveness (8/10)

I felt like this product did what it was set out to do. I felt adequately hydrated throughout the course of my workouts, and did not feel overly sore after them. That's about all you can realistically ask for from a BCAA product, especially one meant to be taken during your workout. You get a little bit more than the standard fare of BCAAs with 7 grams as opposed to 5, and the hydration support is good as well.

Value (7/10)

The cheapest place I have seen to grab this is at optimalnutrition.com for $34.99 for a 30 serving tub. That comes out to about $1.17 per serving. Considering you get a little more BCAAs and some added ingredients in the package I don't feel that it's a terrible deal overall. There are better and cheaper options to be found, especially for BCAAs but for what this product delivers in addition I give it a little bit of slack.

Conclusion and Verdict

Intra Amino is a good BCAA product to chug during your workouts. You get over and above the standard dose of BCAAs and an adequate hydration complex. You can expect the standard recovery features you get from supplementing with BCAAs. The flavoring is intense, so I recommend using up to a liter of water to cut the flavor a little and to help with mixture as well. This product is on the pricier side of the spectrum, but still holds a decent value for the added BCAAs per serving and added goodies. I give it the thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval.

Thanks to Neurella Labs, INC. for sending it out!
      January 5, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Better Mental Clarity
    • Enhanced Cognition
    • Fully Disclosed Label
    • Improved Focus
    • A Bit Pricey
    Thank you to Neurella Labs for providing this product up for review to the TROOPs. Nootropics are one of the fastest growing supplements out on the market in recent years, and it seems like more and more pop up every day. Here was my experience with Neurella's flagship product:

Dosage

4 pills throughout the day, 2 in the morning and 2 pre-workout.

Dosage

4 pills throughout the day, 2 in the morning and 2 pre-workout.

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

This product heavily markets the ingredients included in it by boasting "12 of the most powerful brain supplements formulated into one by an acclaimed Neurology team". A lot of the ingredients I am unfamiliar with as nootropics are a new bag for me, but here is a quick rundown of the ingredients and what their intended uses are:

*Ashwagandha Root and Leaf Extract- Healthy energy levels and mental cognition.
    *Huperzine- Memory function.
    *Citicoline- mental energy, focus, attention, and recall.
    *Coenzyme Q10- Antioxidant and energy generation.
    *N-Acetyl Cysteine- brain detoxification.
    *Tumeric Root Extract- Anti-inflammatory/antioxidant support.
    *Dimethylglycine- An amino acid used in treatment from everything from ADHD to autism.
    *Grape Skin Extract- Stress reducer and anti-inflammatory support.
    *Bacopa monnieri- Cognitive performanceand stress relief.
    *Rhodiola Rosea- Brain Neuron enchancer.
    * Green Tea Leaf Extract- Memory and cognitive function support.
    *Vitamin B12- General energy support.

Effectiveness (8.5/10)

All those fancy sounding ingredients sounds all good and well, but the main thing you all want to know is did it work? As far as mental focus and memory enhancement I would say yes. I found myself focused more both at work and the gym, and easily remembering simple things like where I put my keys (which is usually something I'm cussing about), and feeding my dogs on time. The energy and stress relief I would say was minimal to negligible as far as noticing a pronounced difference. I feel like this product delivers and holds its value as a memory supplement.

Side Effects

None noted.

Value (6/10)

The only places I've seen to snag this are on Amazon, and Neurella's own website, both at $49.99 for a 30 day day supply (60 servings), coming out to 83 cents a serving or $1.66 a day. That's a little on the high side for me for something that I would consider a luxury item. If you were to take just one serving a day the value would increase, but I don't think you would get the full effect intended for this product.

Conclusion and Verdict

Overall I felt Neurella was an effective product at improving memory and focus. It carries an extensive ingredient profile that was created by neurologists, and appears to be more of a legitimate product than a bill of goods. It is on the expensive side to take it at it's recommended dosage, but it does deliver as an effective nootropic. I approve and give it the thumbs up!

Thanks to Dymatize Nutrition for sending it out!
      December 16, 2017

• Mixes Great.
    • Good Protein Ratio
    As always I got to give it up to the companies that participate and contribute to the TROOPs, so a big thanks going out to Dymatize for the hook up on this product.

Dosage

1 scoop usually taken post-workout, and first thing in the morning on non-training days.

Ingredient Profile (7.5/10)

This product is a whey protein blend that utilizes 3 different types of whey protein: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed concentrate. This product is very similar to ON Gold Standard Whey and often draws comparisons to it. Unlike Gold Standard though, this product is primarily whey concentrate which to some may be a turn off. However though, concentrate doesn't necessarily mean poorer quality. Concentrate can range from anywhere from 30% to 80% protein, and given that there is 25 grams of protein per 34 gram scoop you have a 73.5% protein ratio, which is still very high and tends to suggest a higher quality concentrate is used. Add in the fact that there is only 2 grams of fat and 3 grams of carbs in each scoop, you end up with a very respectable profile overall. The only downfall to the concentrate base really is that each scoop has 70mg of cholesterol, which is 23% of the daily value of a 2000 calorie diet.

Mixture (9/10)

This product was very simple and easy to mix up. Just a few shakes in a standard shaker and it was good to go with no lumps or clumps.

Taste (6/10)

I got the cookies and cream flavor in this product, which is normally my favorite flavor and go to flavor for protein. This version however I found to be rather bland and dull. It wasn't necessarily awful or unpleasant, but I was definitely disappointed in the taste. Easily the worst rendition of cookies and cream I have tried to date in a protein.

Effectiveness (8/10)

In my opinion a protein powder should never be looked on as anything more than a simple building block in a complete nutritional profile and not something to be overly leaned on. It can also be utilized as a catalyst and starting point in post-workout recovery too though. Even though I tend to go more for protein blends nowadays for post workout this product still delivered as far as recovery goes in my opinion. Concentrate tends to be more of a complete protein as it isn't overly processed and in danger of becoming denatured in the process. 24-25 grams has become the unofficial "Industry Standard" for protein content, and given it's good protein ratio this product is solid in my eyes.

Value (8.5/10)

Due to this product being widely available, there are good competitive prices on it. The best price I found was on Amazon at $41.62 (Chocolate Flavor) for a 5lb tub with 63 scoops, or 66 cents per serving. You can easily find this in the 45-ish dollar range for a 5 lb tub which makes it a good deal on a good protein.

Conclusion and Verdict

While it's not an isolate based protein like other popular options out there, Dymatize Elite Whey still delivers a quality protein at a good price, and makes it a good and viable option for an everyday whey protein. The only true downfall is the flavor as I found it to be a letdown, but other than that it's a decent protein with a good ratio that mixes well. Overall I give it a thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!

December 13, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Increased Strength
    • No Noticeable Muscle Gain
    Thanks to Clipper for reminding me to do this review. PX4 is classified as a "prohormone", but it's more of a strong test booster/anti-estrogen/AI. This was a good choice for me as I wanted to take a step towards the dark side of gains.

Dosage

8 week cycle. 2 pills in the morning, and 2 pills prior to workout. Stacked with Lecheek's Cycle Armor.

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

Fairly simple profile on this product, you start off with 600mg of Tumeric per 2 capsules for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant support. Next up is 100mg of Oxygold, which almost seems to be the focal point of the product. Oxygold is designed to also be antioxidant support as well as nutrient and supplement delivery support.
    The "main" component of this is "androsta 3 5 diene 7 17 dione", which is a metabolite of 7-Keto DHEA. It has become one of the more popular DHEA hormone supplements out there, and is actually used in PCTs quite often due to it's anti-estrogen properties I've learned. While there is no definitive research and testing done on it, it has shown properties as a good AI as well as a cortisol blocker.

Rounding out the profile is 50mg of DHEA. I believe that DHEA doesn't really affect your hormone levels much, but some people seem to swear by it, so it is what it is. This technically does fall in line with the new age DHEA metabolite "prohormones" on the market now since all the good stuff is gone.

Dosing was easy and painless; the pills aren't overly large or hard to swallow. There is no nasty tastes that come up after swallowing either.

Effectiveness (8/10)

Getting down to brass tacks, I believe that this product did help me out a little bit. The most noticeable thing for me was my strength did increase. I hit PRs for weight and reps across the board essentially on all my lifts while on this. I was never able to get 225 on bench up more than 4 times before this, and I was able to do a 5 by 5 program with ease on 225 while on it.
    I hit the "sweet spot" on this around weeks 3-6 where I was gaining the most strength and recovering very quickly. I was able to workout 6 days a week, and some weeks every single day and not miss a beat. I was not supplementing creatine while on this either, so I can attribute much of the strength increases to using this product.

As far as any noticeable size difference, I did not see any real results. As a matter of fact I actually lost 2 pounds after my 8 week cycle. But I was teetering on soft and doughy when I started my cycle, so it's probably actually a good thing I lost weight. I know some people hate this term, but I feel like this helped me "tone up" while I was losing the baby fat and getting back to respectability.

Side Effects

I can't say that I experienced any real bad side effects while on this, a little bit of acne turned up as it does with test boosters sometimes. I didn't experience any joint pain or dryness as I was supplementing with Animal Flex while on this also.

Value (9/10)

I got this on a BOGO on A1 when I bought it, but it looks like that sale is by the wayside now. But you can still cop it for $32.95 for a 60 capsule/30 day supply on illpumpyouup.com. That comes out to about 55 cents a serving, or $1.10 a day. For me that's still well worth it.

Conclusion and Verdict

PX4 is not a "prohormone" in the traditional sense, but it was still effective for me. My strength went up and I was able to get myself back into a decent shape while on this. While I didn't make any noticeable muscle gains with this, I think this product holds a lot of value as an AI or even a PCT for something stronger and will definitely be something I use down the road. It's affordable and effective, bottom line. Thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!

Overall
    Overall
    6.9
    Thanks to BioWar Nutrition for sending it out!
      December 3, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clear Label
    • Good Pump
    • Good Focus
    • Clumps If Not In Fridge
    • Low Doses
    • Underdosed Elements
    I'd like to thank the folks over at Biowar Nutrition for hooking up this product for review to the TROOPs. Implosion X is another in the long line of pre-workout product out there. The market on pre-workouts is so vast that us as the consumers have the luxury of being picky on what we want in our products. With that it raises the bar on what we should expect from the products we use, and what the companies should be putting into them.

Dosage

One scoop 20-30 minutes before workout.

Ingredient Profile (6.5/10)

I wasn't particularly blown away by the profile on this produ...

Dosage

One scoop 20-30 minutes before workout.

Ingredient Profile (6.5/10)

I wasn't particularly blown away by the profile on this product, but there are some nice features to it. It starts off with 6 grams of Citrulline Malate, which is a good amount and in my opinion the bare minimum you want in your pre-workout if it's going to be included. Citrulline is the best pump-inducing amino acid in my opinion and it's something I prefer in my products, so it's good to see this included in an adequate dose for my liking.

Next in the ingredient profile is 2 grams of Beta Alanine. Now while I love Beta Alainine and believe that it is an effective muscular endurance enhancer, I personally think it should be dosed in a 3 to 4 gram range. Clinically speaking, the effective dose for Beta Alanine is 3.2 grams so this product does fall short in that regard. Next up is 1.25 grams of Betaine, which again is on the low side as far as what is clinically effective (2 to 2.5 grams) and what is effective in my anecdotal experience.

Each scoop also provides 500mg of Agmatine Sulfate. For me this is a low dose as I prefer a full gram, however I know some people experience stomach and/or gastrointestinal issues with too much Agmatine. 500mg is the bare minimum you would want for it to be effective for pumps though, so this does hit the mark on that.

Some other features include 250mg of caffeine, a safe dose yet enough to give a kick. To round out the profile, a swath of nootropic ingredients including Noopept and Huperzine. Implosion X is also part of the growing niche of creatine-free preworkouts.

Mixture (8/10)

As alluded to in the title, it's no joke when it comes to keeping this in the fridge. If you don't heed this warning, you'll end up like me and have a solid brick that you had to chip away with a kitchen knife. Despite this phenomenon, there were no issues in the mixing department for this product. A few shakes in a shaker and you're all set to go with minimal grit and undissolved powder.

Taste (9/10)

I had the Pink Lemonade flavor for this product, which is low key one of my favorite flavors in a pre-workout. The taste on this was nice, not too sweet but still delivered on a good flavor. I enjoyed chugging this down before a workout.

Efffectiveness (7/10)

Here's how this product stacked up on my five points of performance for a pre-workout:

Energy: With 250mg of caffeine I got a bump without getting the tweaked out or jittery feeling. For me personally I like a pre-workout in the 250 to 300 mg range of caffeine. Hardened stim junkies might not feel this as much, but for the average Joe it should be enough to get you amped for the gym. I give energy a "B".

Pumps: 6 grams of Citrulline and 500mg of Agmatine does provide a good ingredient mix for pumps and they show through. I felt some pretty decent pumps on this product, not the bust out of your skin type of feeling, but definitely noticeable. So pumps get a grade of "B+".

Focus: The combination of nootropic ingredients lends well to the focus I experienced while on this product. I didn't quite reach the bliss that is the tunnel vision, however the increase in focus was noticeable. Focus gets a "B+".

Endurance: The one thing that irked me about this product was the lower doses of Beta Alanine and Betaine. The endurance experience of this product suffered because of that for me. I wasn't able to get that extra little "push" that I get when I dose at a higher level. Just to prove this to myself, I added 2 grams of Beta Alanine to this product to make a total of 4 grams and was able to rep out at least 1 to 2 reps higher at the same weight essentiall across the board on all the lifts in my workouts. So in light of that, I give endurance a "D".

Strength: Being a creatine free product, this does little to assist in strength support to me. I was supplementing creatine separately while using this product, so my gauge was a little skewered I will admit. This product appears to be geared more towards pumps and focus given the nature of it's makeup, so I still feel like it does not add significantly to strength. Strength also gets a grade of "D".

Value (6/10)

Biowar's website looks like the only place you can get this currently, and will run you $39.99 for a 30 serving tub. That comes out to $1.33 per serving, which for me is a high price for what I consider an incomplete product. You can find products in that price and per serving range that are more comprehensive and complete products, for instance you can get Nutrex's Outlift at $1.36 per serving on Amazon, which is a complete and clinically dosed product.

Conclusion and Verdict

Biowar's Implosion X is a pre-workout product that delivers well on pumps and focus, but falls short of the mark on endurance and strength support and is under dosed in certain key ingredients. It's tastes very good and mixes well, but for the life of you if you get this product make sure you keep it in the fridge so you don't end up with a huge crack rock of a pre-workout. Overall I give this product the "Meh" rating as I feel that it did fall short of being a complete product.

November 2, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Transparent
    • Good Pumps
    • Good Focus
    • Low Beta Alanine
    Big thanks to the peeps at UXO Supplements for hooking up this item for review to the TROOPs. There are a million options for pre-workout supplements out there, but you can use that to your advantage. With the market so heavily flooded, you can be very particular with what you want and what you don't want in a product. With that in mind, let's take a look at how UXO's pre-workout measured up for me.

Dosage

2 scoop serving 20-30 minutes before working out.

Dosage

2 scoop serving 20-30 minutes before working out.

Ingredient Profile (7/10)

There's some good, and some meh and this formula. To get the full effect of this product, you need to take the two scoop dose even if you're not a pre-workout junkie like myself. Props to UXO for not using prop blends and having full disclosure of ingredients.

A full serving starts you off with 6 grams of Citrulline Malate and 3 grams of Arginine AKG, which are both a good healthy dose in the proper spectrum for these ingredients and provide a solid pump aspect to the product. Next in the formula is 2 grams of Betaine, a good proven strength and endurance booster in a sufficient dose as well. Then comes 1.6 grams of Beta Alainine, now while Beta Alanine is a great endurance booster, in my opinion and experience you need around 3 to 4 grams to be effective so this falls well short of that mark. 1 gram of Tyrosine and Taurine, a moderate 275 mg of Caffeine, 100mg Theanine and 5mg of Bioperene round out the formula. So overall you end up with a combination that is good in some areas, and leaves me wanting more in others.

Mixture (9/10)

No problems with mixing, two scoops with about 10-12 ounces of water and shake and you'll end up with a well mixed product that doesn't have any grit or chunks.

Taste (8/10)

The flavor I received was called "Blue Frost", which tasted like your standard Blue Raspberry. While not my favorite flavor around, this did have a nice light taste to it with a little bit of sweetness and no overpowering aromas or aftertastes.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

Here's the breakdown on what I consider the 5 crucial elements of a good pre-workout:

*Strength- This is a creatine free product, but does provide an ample amount of Betaine. So while you won't notice any amazing strength gains, it will help keep you in balance with where you're at. Strength gets a C.

*Endurance- As noted the Beta Alanine is underdosed in my opinion. However, it does have a decent amount of Betaine so it saves face a little bit in this area. I didn't get those tingles I love to feel and didn't really reap the benefits of Beta Alanine in my view, so Endurance gets a C-.

*Pumps- This is one area where this product shines. The healthy doses of Citrulline and AAKG definitely deliver on some nice pumps and vein popping. Definitely felt some legit pumps while using this product, so pumps gets a B+.

*Focus- Another area that is good in this product. With some good doses of Tyrosine and Theanine, I did get a good sense of focus, not quite to the tunnel vision level. I still noticed the yoga pants girls on the treadmills, so that's always my ultimate test of a pre-workout's focus. This product does deliver a good level of focus though, so it gets a B.

*Energy- 275mg of Caffiene and 1 gram of Taurine are both tame doses in my opinion, but are good for a little bump and pick me up before you hit the weights. Nothing to write home about, but I still give it a B-.

Value (7/10)

Looks like UXO's website is the only place to snatch this so far, and will run you $35.99 for 30 servings, which runs you about a $1.20 per serving. At that price, I would expect to get a little bit more in terms of formula and ingredients, but since some of the elements are light or underdosed in my opinion, I do have to mark off a little bit for value.

Conclusion and Verdict

UXO's Pre-Workout delivers a nice kick of pumps and focus, but seems rather average in every other aspect. A little light dosing on some of the ingredients leave something to be desired. It does mix and taste well, and is a little over priced for what you get in my opinion. So while I did enjoy it for the most part, with the level of competition there is in the pre-workout field I say this product falls into the realm of obscurity and gets the "Meh" rating from me.

October 19, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • 7 Sources Of Protein
    • Tastes Good
    • Mixes Easily
    • Low Protein Ratio
    • Higher Carbs And Calories
    Special thanks to UXO Supplements for the hook up on this product. One of the newer revelations in post workout supplementation is that a protein blend is more beneficial for you after your workout than an isolate, contrary to the popular narrative and conventional wisdom that was. So a good quality protein blend becomes more of a necessity than just something to take in-between meals or before bed time. Here's a look at how UXO's protein blend product stacks up:

Dosage

Two scoops (one serving) taken after workout.

Ingredient Profile (7.5/10)

UXO's protein blend consists...

Dosage

Two scoops (one serving) taken after workout.

Ingredient Profile (7.5/10)

UXO's protein blend consists of 7 different types of protein sources: whey concentrate, whey isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, egg whites, and whey hydrosate. A wide array of sources all with variable absorption rates to keep a constant flow of protein being delivered. It's pretty hard to beat the formula as far as a blend goes, the only thing I'd like to see is how much of each protein source we are getting.

Overall you get 24 grams of protein per 44 gram two scoop serving, so you're at a 55% protein ratio which is a little low on the spectrum even for being a blend. 180 calories, 6 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs, with 4 coming from sugar and 5 as fiber. The carb and calorie conscious consumer or contest prepper will probably not care for this nutritional layout, but for the average Joe like me, it's just fine.

Mixture (9/10)

Despite being a diverse blend, I did not run into any issues with mixing. Your standard few good shakes in a shaker and you were good to go. I used 12 ounces of water with my two scoops and it was nice and smooth and went down easy.

Taste (8/10)

This was an interesting flavor for me as I got the Frozen Cappuccino flavor, something I've never tried before. I was pretty impressed with its flavor and it gave off a nice aroma as well each time I popped off the lid. Since I'm a man and have never had a real Cappuccino I don't know if it tastes like the genuine item, but I imagine it's pretty close based off of its smell.

Effectiveness (7.5/10)

I've said it a million times, but here is a million and one: To me, a protein powder is a foundation on which to build your recovery and nutrition off of. With that, I feel this is a decent product. As I said before it's a little low on the protein ratio spectrum so I do mark down a little for that. I'm not so concerned with the added calories and macros associated with this product, but I do see where that could be a point of contention for some. Overall this product provides a blend of good protein sources, and a healthy dose of fiber so it still manages a respectable score as far as effectiveness goes.

Value (6/10)

As of right now, it looks like the only place to cop this is UXO's own website at $44.99 for 30 servings, or about $1.50 per serving. The price tag is a little high for something that isn't particularly special, so while I did like this product it's availability and price make it something I wouldn't want to go out and purchase as there are equal or greater products at more competitive prices. There is a 20% sale on the website currently, and it looks like you also get a free tub of creatine along with it, so at this sale price and deal I will say that is the exception.

Conclusion and Verdict

UXO's 7 Blend is a diverse protein blend using good protein sources. Although a little low in protein ratio and high in calorie and carbs I still liked it. It's mixes well and tastes good, but the price tag and limited availability ultimately make this a product that I would simply give the "meh" rating to with the caveat that it is not a bad product.

September 17, 2017

• Improved Recovery
    • Mixes Well
    • Underdosed Glutamine
    Thanks to the peeps out at UXO Supplements for providing this and several other products to the TROOPs. You've seen it and read it a million times on this site (and I'm probably responsible for a least a quarter million of those references) that BCAAs are a vital and cornerstone supplement to use. With a seemingly Library of Congress sized amount of documented research on these three essential amino acids, there is no denying the benefit of utilizing these in your supplement/nutritional regimen. With that, here's the breakdown on BCAA Blast:

Dosage

1 to 2 scoops taken peri-workout...

Dosage

1 to 2 scoops taken peri-workout. I mostly took 2 scoops since UXO accidently sent me 2 containers of this but told me to keep them both to review, and I usually like to double up on my BCAAs.

Ingredient Profile (8/10)

No reinventing of the wheel here, this is a BCAA formula in the traditional 2:1:1 ratio providing 6 total grams of BCAA which is slightly above the "standard" 5 grams. Added into the mix is 1.5 grams of Glutamine, which is an underdose in my opinion since I'd rather like to see the dosage more at 5 grams for any real benefit. With this product you also get a electrolyte complex with Potassium and Sodium, as well as a 2.5 mg dose of B6. Apart from the underdose on Glutamine, BCAA Blast has a good profile and even some added goodies that you would want in a BCAA product.

Mixture (9/10)

No problems at all in this area. I would usually mix two scoops in 1 liter of water and I had zero issues with mixture or undissolved powder. A few solid shakes and I was set.

Taste (6/10)

Here's a situation where I should have read the fine print I suppose. I was sent grape flavor, which I absolutely despise. So while it was nearly impossible to keep an open mind, I will say it tasted no better or no worse than any other grape flavor I have ever encountered. Those of you who have dysfunctional taste buds and actually enjoy a grape flavoring should enjoy this and have no problems with it. I would give it a zero for taste just based off of it being grape, however since I must remain "fair and objective" I will rate it at a 6 and call it even.

Effectiveness (9/10)

BCAA are what I like to call a "behind the scenes" supplement. You won't get that gratification of a pump, euphoric feeling of focus or body tingles. You will however get essential building blocks for recovery and muscle growth. As with most adequately dosed BCAA products I felt a decrease in soreness following my workouts. The electrolytes and B6 are a nice addition to have while you're sipping on this during your workouts, to keep you feeling hydrated and to keep you going with a little kick. BCAA products are like pizza, it's hard to screw them up and even if you dothey're still alright.

Value (7/10)

As of writing this it looks like the only spot to grab this from right now is UXO's own website for $29.99 for a 33 serving tub, which comes out to 91 cents per serving. This price per serving is a little on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to BCAA products. You do get a little bit of an added value with the glutamine, electrolytes, and B6 since this isn't your "basic" BCAA formula. Hopefully if this becomes more widely available the price can level out a little bit.

Conclusion and Verdict

BCAA Blast is a complete BCAA product providing a healthy dose of BCAAs in the appropriate ratio, and even throws in a few extra along with it. While the Glutamine is underdosed in my opinion, everything else is solid about this product from the mixing, taste (if you're into grapebleh), and effectiveness. Though a little bit on the pricier side, it is an effective product. This gets the thumbs up and Shinndigg Seal of Approval!