setharvidson

• Low community participation

TROPHY CASE

First Bloods

*Rookie League

*Rookie League = only among other members in their first year on SR. setharvidson will be eligible for rookie league trophies for another 271 days.

Reviews by setharvidson

9.1
Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
  August 28, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Pumps
  • No Fillers Or Additives
  • Purest Form Of Agmatine
  • Bitter Taste When Just Using Water
  • Bad Aftertaste

This was a pretty good quality product. I would consider buying Agmapure again.

This was a pretty good quality product. I would consider buying Agmapure again.

I'd like to thank VMI sports and the SR community because this is the first free product I have received since joining the troops. The container looks much bigger in the picture, however it's probably the size of a small coffee cup, and it contains sixty servings which surprised me at first but then I saw how big the serving size was ( a whopping 500mg). This is one of the first nitric oxide boosting products I've had in a while and I was pretty satisfied with the results.

The one ingredient in Agmapure is agmatine sulfate, which is a derivative of arginine. Simply put, agmatine sulfate is an agent which governs nitric oxide synthesis, so it dilates the blood vessels and allows for more blood and a better pump. Not only does it help with this, but agmatine sulfate serves as a nootropic, boosting your energy and focus while you work out. However while I was training, I noticed the pump effect more than I noticed the nootropic effect, so if you're looking mainly for a nootropic, I wouldn't recommend Agmatine.

The directions say to mix it with 6-8oz of water. However, I think that's ludicrous not only because of the tiny serving size, but because it has no flavor. It says that it is unflavored, but generally supplements that are unflavored leave a nasty chalky flavor in your mouth, which is the case with Agmapure. So because of this, I'd either take the scoop by mouth and chase it with water or mix it with preworkout.

I generally like to take nitric oxide boosters on arm days or chest days and I usually avoid taking it on leg days because it doesn't seem to affect me. However, with Agmapure, I got a pretty darn decent pump for my legs and an even better pump for my chest and arms. With one scoop, I felt like I got a good pump and I got more blood in my muscles faster and without as much effort (doesn't mean I didn't work out as hard though). With two scoops, I got a great pump fast, and not only was the pump better, but it lasted for a while after my work out too. And finally with three scoops (which is the limit), on arm days I felt like Spongebob on that episode where he buys anchor arms; on my chest days, I felt like I could've been Kim Kardashian's stunt double because my pecs were so massive; and on my leg days I felt like an average guy because my legs are probably a little underdeveloped. All joking aside, Agmapure delivers a great quality pump that lasts throughout the day.

For 60 servings, the value of Agmapure is excellent. On the vmi sports website, it costs $24.99, however I found it on amazon for $14.99 and free shipping. For the amount of servings, the good quality, and a great price, I'd say that Agmapure is pretty darn worth it.

Side Effects

There were no noticeable side effects.

Conclusion

This is a product I'd get again. I was super happy with it, especially because it was my first product received through the SR troops. It has one simple ingredient and it is pretty effective despite that fact.

Overall
Overall
6.6
  August 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Extra Protein

Whey Isolate Power by Oh Yeah is probably not worth the price tag. It has poor flavor, leaves a bad after taste, leaves you feeling bloated and probably is on the high side for pricing. However, it's decent for meal substitution or meal supplementation for extra protein to feed your muscles.

I had some extra money to burn and I saw Whey Isolate Power by Oh Yeah! on the clearance rack at my local nutrition store. A few things led me to believe this would not be a quality product but I decided to try it anyways. 1) It was on the clearance rack 2) I know Oh Yeah! mainly for their protein bars and they're not one of the more well known names such as Dynamatize or Cellucor 3) How effective can a protein be that is simply just Whey Isolate with added flavoring and no added BCAA's.

Not much to say about the ingredient profile. This protein has a very simple ingredient profile, mainly just being Whey Isolate powder with natural and artificial flavors and some sweeteners such as sucralosefor flavor. One good thing about this protein is that it is an isolate, so it is very low carbs (only 2g), has zero fat, and 25 grams of protein so it is a good protein for someone who is trying to cut weight.

I got the cookies and cream flavor, expecting it to have a satisfying flavor since it's a dessert flavor. However, the flavor was nothing extraordinary, not horrible but not outstanding. It did have a very chemically aftertaste that stayed in my mouth for a while though. The directions say to mix it with 6-8 ounces of water, and it mixes pretty well, doesn't clump up at all. One thing I didn't like about it was the consistency though, it was very watery whereas I like thicker protein shakes.

This protein lasted me a little over a month and it worked pretty decent. Besides my complaints about flavor and pricing, it is a whey isolate so it's good for increasing lean muscle. Maybe not as effective as other supplements out their since it has no added ingredients besides the whey isolate itself. In that month, I lost about two pounds with a slight decrease in my waist size but no significant gains.

The initial price tag said $58 for 68 servings, putting this protein at about 85 cents per scoop. However, I got it on clearance for $32 so it was a steal. Knowing those initial red flags that this was a low quality product, I would not have bought this protein if it was not on the clearance rack. Although it has a good amount of servings, $58 seems a little steep for the quality of product. Besides, anyone who shops at Costco knows you can pick up a 75 serving bag of muscle milk for $39.99 and it's just as effective.

Side Effects

The biggest thing that bothered me was the chemically aftertaste. It was not unbearable, it could be cured by drinking a glass of water, however it was not enjoyable. The only other side effect I noticed was that this protein made me feel bloated for a little bit after drinking it. It is produced in a factory that contains wheat, fish, soybeans, shellfish, and peanuts so if you have allergies you may want to consult with a physician before using this product.

Conclusion

For all the negative things I have to say about this protein, I know I still give it a meh face rather than an angry face. That's because despite the poor flavor, it is still a whey isolate and a decent source of protein when you might not have time to get in a meal.

Overall
Overall
4.9
4.5
6.1
  July 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Value
  • Uses Deceptive Advertising

Methyldrene EPH isn't one of the less effective preworkouts that I've tried. I don't think I'll be buying it again.

When going to buy this for the first time, I was at my local nutrition store and it caught my eye because the label makes it look like it's something out of a pharmacy which made me think it would deliver really great results. Plus it was 45 servings and at a decent price so I decided to buy it. On the contrary though, it seemed like a placebo to me. I feel like I would take a scoop because it put me in the mood to work out, but Methyldrene EPH never really delivered a great energy rush to me.

Another downside of this preworkout is that it's a proprietary blend. The blend is 3675mg per scoop and consists of L-Arginine Ketoglutarate (AKG), creatine monohydrate, citrulline malate, dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) bitatrate, caffeine alpha-ketoglutarate, ephedra nevadensis, phenylethylamine HCL, L-Leucine, Yohimbine HCL, L-alpha glycerylphosphorcholine, and cylic adenosine monophosphate. L-arginine of course is an amino acid which is good for dilating blood vessels and allowing for more blood flow to the muscles. Creatine is good for providing the muscles with energy and increasing strength, however the dosage of creatine is not specified in this blend. Citrulline malate essentially is the same things as creatine monohydrate except it has a pump effect and increased endurance as well. DMAE is a chemical basically used to boost the mood of the user. Caffeine of course delivers the stimulant effect and although this is a proprietary blend, the label does disclose that there's 160 mg of caffeine which isn't very much at all if you're a stim freak like me. The big name in this ingredient list and the reason this preworkout sticks out is ephedrine. Ephedrine is one of the key ingredients that people use to make meth so it is another ingredient that's good for a stimulant effect. It's actually illegal to sell ephedrine by itself, because people were buying it up for this purpose. I won't go on describing the rest of the ingredients because besides Leucine which helps with endurance, they all are essentially the same thing, pumps and and stimulants. It seems as if the producer of methyldrene EPH was just experimenting with preworkouts and threw a small dosage of a bunch of ingredients together, hoping it would be effective.

One good thing about the preworkout is that it mixed well. The directions say to mix one scoop with 4-6oz of water. The flavor isn't very good though. I got the fruit blast flavor and it tastes like watered down cough medicine. It's not disgusting, just not an extraordinary flavor.

As mentioned before, this preworkout almost seemed like it was a placebo. I would take it out of habit, thinking that it would give me energy for my workout. However, I think that the ritual of taking preworkout gave me more energy than the preworkout itself. One scoop was not effective so I tried taking two scoops one time and the most dramatic difference was that I felt a tingling sensation in my hands and face. For someone who likes to wake up at 5am to workout, this preworkout does not suffice.

I think that besides the fancy label, the price of this preworkout is what made me buy it. It costs $38 online and is 45 servings, putting each scoop at around 84 cents. If you are a one scoop type of person, then this preworkout should last you a while, which is a blessing and a curse because while it lasts long, it may not be effective for you so you have to finish this preworkout before you can move on to another preworkout.

Side Effects

It didn't have any noticeable side effects. The only thing that I noticed was that it gave me tingling sensations but that was when I took two scoops.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I would not buy this preworkout again. Their major selling point is that this preworkout contains ephedrine. However it doesn't contain a large enough dosage of ephedra to be effective.

July 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increases Focus
  • Mixes Well
  • Plenty Of Servings
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Post Workout Crash

Villain preworkout by Heroform is a super strong and underrated preworkout in my opinion. Delivers a huge rush of energy along taken around 20 minutes before a workout.

When will power and maybe a cup of coffee before a workout doesn't quite cut it to keep you motivated through your workout, Villain delivers. A buddy of mine had told me about Villain and actually gave me the rest of his container because it was too strong for him. I was pretty ecstatic because I'd just run out of preworkout and I was feeling super groggy. Not only did it make me want to go to the gym, I felt like I could take over the world, metaphorically speaking.

One of the downsides of Villain is that it's a proprietary blend. The blend is a 5.5g blend per scoop that consists of beta alanine, caffeine anhydrous, creatine monohydrate, taurine, arginine aplha-ketoglutarate, theophylline, geranium extract, and schisandra chinensis berry extract. Because of the amino acid beta alanine, Villain gives you parasthesia (the tingling sensation), which I happen to love so this is a plus side for me. Caffeine of course adds to the stim factor, however it doesn't specify on the container how much caffeine it contains. Creatine monohydrate adds a little increase in strength to the user while taurine contributes to an increase in muscular stamina. AAKG has a pump effect and dilates the blood vessels allowing more blood to flow into the muscles (side note.... it also helps arouse sexual energy and prevent erectile dysfunction). Theophylline is typically taken by people with asthma and have trouble breathing, so it opens up the airways and increases oxygen intake. Geranium extract (or DMMA) elevates the mood of the user almost like an amphetamine, which is funny because when taken by itself in significant amounts shows up on drug tests as an amphetamine. Schisandra chinensis along with the additional ingredients sucralose, maltodextrin, citric acid, and erythritol are used for flavoring purposes.

I got the Blue Raspberry flavor and I thought it was decent, but it wasn't extraordinary or anything to look forward to. Sometimes I just take it dry and chase it with water and it burns the tongue a little, but I feel its effects sooner. The container doesn't give you directions of how much water to mix it with, so you kind of have to experiment to see what tastes best for you. After testing mixability with water, I determined that you get the best flavor when you mix it with 6 ounces of water. It mixed just fine, didn't clump up at the bottom at all.

Villain is one of the more effective preworkouts I've tried. I would take it about 30 minutes before a workout session and I would feel it's effects right away but it fully started kicking in 20 minutes after drinking it. I would begin to feel the tingles in my finger tips and palms and that's when I knew I was about to have a crazy work out. Once I put my earbuds in, it's game over. It gave me an almost euphoric head rush and I felt super focused and energized. I sustained this energy throughout my entire workout. One down side is that there was no great pump effect. By the end of my work out I felt an incredible lifter's high, or a sense of of peace and calm wash over me. However, it did leave me feeling very sleepy after I got home from my workout.

On the Heroform website, Villains runs at about $50 and is 45 servings. This puts one scoop of Villain at 90 cents. $50 may be on the high side for preworkout, however for 45 servings and the level at which Villain works, the higher price is worth it.

Side Effects

Besides the tingling, I did notice that Villain gave me a cold sweat while working out. Not a huge deal to me, but I was shivering a little bit while lifting. The only other side effect I noticed was that I crashed after my workouts and came home feeling sleepy and lazy. I was also left with a fantastic lifter's high though and I work out in the evening so the crash is worth it. Because of the crash though, this may not be a good preworkout for people who like to lift early in the day and need energy throughout the day.

Conclusion

Perhaps Villain is a little pricey, however the large serving size and its potency compensate for that. I would buy this preworkout again in a heartbeat. My favorite part of it isn't so much the huge rush of energy, but the elevated and focused mood that come with it.

July 21, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps Recovery
  • No Artificial Coloring
  • Watermellon Is Brilliant
  • Chemically Aftertaste
  • Proprietary Blend

Quality product! Tastes good, works well, and is affordable!

I'm 18 years old now and I first took this amino acid when I was just starting to work out in middle school, AKA back when the label suggested that I shouldn't take the product because of my age. At this point, I was just testing the waters with supplements and seeing what works for me and what doesn't and what I'd consider buying again for a good price. Modern BCAA's is high up in my ratings because of this, this is one of my favorite BCAA's.

It doesn't s...

Quality product! Tastes good, works well, and is affordable!

It doesn't specify the doses of each branched chain amino acid, but it contains 15g of a proprietary blend which consists of L-Leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine, L-alanine, taurine, glycine, L-lysine HCL, L-alanyl, and L-glutamine. It has a very high ratio of leucine to isoleucine to valine (8:1:1) compared to many other BCAA's which are 2:1:1. Don't be fooled by this high ratio! While leucine may be the key amino acid in synthesizing protein, a mixed and more proportional ratio is more effective, which is one of the only downsides of this BCAA. It is also loaded with 654mg of an electrolyte blend (sodium citrate and potassium chloride) to help with hydration. It has no artificial coloring but it does have artificial flavors and the few other ingredients are just citric acid, malic acid, and sucralose to add flavor.

Modern BCAA's have a huge variety of flavors. My favorite flavor is watermelon, although all of the flavors are very impressive. The serving size is two 17.85g scoops and you mix it with 20oz of water. I drink it intraworkout and I have to force myself not to drink it all in 2 big swigs because I like the flavor so much. It is very hydrating during a lifting session and you'll find yourself not having to run to the water fountain as often. You have to shake it occasionally because the powder clumps up at the bottom eventually, however it usually mixes very well.

Modern BCAA's is super effective! The first thing I noticed is that it hydrates very quickly so I didn't find myself running back and forth between my bench and the water fountain in between sets. I noticed that I was able to maintain strength and didn't fatigue as quickly after a few sets whereas usually I'd do 12 reps of bicep curls on the preacher bar for my first set and I'd only be able to squeeze out 6-8 by my last set. Along with higher endurance, the next day I'd wake up with no soreness in my muscles. It does an excellent job of aiding in recovery.

I got this for $30 at a discount nutrition store but I did see it offered for $20 on various nutrition websites, but that also includes taxes so it might come out to $25. I don't mind paying a little bit extra so that I don't have to wait for my supplements to come in the mail. So for 30 servings, that means that each serving runs around $1. Most of the BCAA's I see in the stores run around this price or more expensive so I'd say the price is worth it.

Side Effects

Besides a chemically after taste and having to run to the bathroom a little more than usual because of the hydrating effects, I didn't notice any side effects. This could possibly cause an allergic reaction because it was produced in a factory that processes eggs, dairy, shellfish, peanuts, wheat and soy, so I might recommend consulting with a physician before taking this.

Conclusion

I would buy again! I love the flavors and I love the results. It's only $30 out of my pocket compared to other products that are around $40 for maybe 25 servings.

6.6
5.5
  July 21, 2018

• Increased Strength

Maybe I'm just spoiled with having a discount nutrition store near by, but I usually get my creatine for much cheaper with just the same or better results.

I bought Insane Creatine from the Insane Labz website because I tried one of their preworkout samples and I wanted to try some of their other products. It was a little overpriced for quality and serving size when I could have just got less expensive creatine from the store and I wouldn't have to wait a week for it to ship.

The only ingredient is simply creatine ...

The only ingredient is simply creatine monohydrate. Each serving is 5 grams of creatine, and the scoop size is 5.3 grams. Since the only ingredient is creatine monohydrate, this creatine won't create outstanding results! However, you will notice the creatine delivers a little bit of an increase in strength when you lift weights.

Like most creatines, this one was unflavored. 5 grams of creatine per serving. Serving size is only one scoop so I usually just take it dry and chase it with water because although it says its unflavored, it still has a gross chalky taste when you mix it with water.

This creatine didn't do anything extraordinary for my work out but it did do its job. It gave me a little extra strength and I noticed I was able to bust out 1-3 more reps than usual when lifting weights. With the strength came a little rush of energy and a boost in my mood. It doesn't have the punch or same mental effects of preworkout, but it delivers a little extra kick of energy and strength when supplemented with preworkout.

Most creatines I buy range from $15-$25 and have a pretty good amount of servings to last a little under two months, however this creatine was about $24.95 on the Insane Labz website and about $30 after shipping, whereas when I buy other creatines from the store, I can get a container that's 100 servings and costs $20. So for 60 servings, that means that each scoop costs about 41 cents. I usually consume 20g of creatine each day, which would be 4 scoops of Insane Creatine each day, meaning that the creatine would only last me 15 days, not even half a month. Maybe I'm a bit of a penny pincher, but this creatine was a little on the expensive side for me.

Side Effects

Insane Creatine didn't have any noticeable side effects for me. Although uncommon, creatine could be an allergen for some individuals, so I would recommend checking with a doctor before using. The only thing that bothered me was that it doesn't mix very well in water, it clumps up at the bottom if you don't drink it right away. Most creatines do that though so it's not a big deal. Most people complain that creatine makes them feel bloated due to additional water weight. However, I didn't notice this happen with me. I was in a bulking period when taking this so I was getting more plump but I didn't notice drastic changes in the size or feeling of my gut.

Conclusion

I don't plan on buying this creatine again. I don't have any major complaints about it besides the price to serving size ratio. $30 isn't very much money but I just like to get the most bang for my buck when I buy my supplements.

July 17, 2018

• Boosts Mood
  • Lightheaded
  • Cold Sweat

Psychotic preworkout capsules by Insane Labz is a quality product! Kicks in fast! A little pricey!

I first tried the psychotic capsules while preparing for a bodybuilding competition. It was super effective in delivering an extra rush of energy while working out on low carbs. Although a little pricey, I would buy it again!

A few of the key ingredients in Psychotic are creatine monohydrate, caffeine anhydrous, beta alanine, and hordenine HCL. Creatine and caffeine both contribute to the stimulant factor of this preworkout and give you a boosted level of strength and energy. The amino acid beta alanine will reduce fatigue levels during your workout so that you will have more endurance and be able to do more reps. Hordenine HCL contributes to the increase in focus and the boost in your mood.

You don't have to worry about flavor since this preworkout is in tablet form! It's a little odd that the serving size is six capsules, but they go down really easy with several ounces of water.

They were very effective! You start to feel energy just a couple minutes after taking them, then you feel a rush of energy 20 minutes after taking them along with a very confident and focused mental state. The energy is sustained through your entire workout and you are left with the euphoric feeling of a lifter's high.

It was a little expensive. The preworkout worked very well but I don't know if it was worth the $50 I payed for it online. It comes with 150 capsules but the serving size is 6 capsules, so it only contains 25 servings. Typically I spend around $30 for 30 serving preworkouts so this was a little pricey for me.

Side Effects

If taken on an empty stomach, Psychotic can make your stomach a little upset! I noticed I got cold sweats in the middle of my workout though! I was shivering a little in between sets.

Conclusion

If you have an extra $50 laying around, this product is worth buying. It does its job really well, but it's debatable whether the cost is worth it.