pudgusky

• Was an active member for 3 years, but hasn't been online since January, 2017

Reviews by pudgusky

Thanks to Orgono for sending it out!
  November 16, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hair Growth Rate Increased
  • Nail Growth Rate Increased
  • Nail Strength Increase
  • Not The Best Value
  • Unverifiable Claims

Thanks to Orgono for participating in the TROOPs program. When this came across my view as a joint supplement that I've heard nothing about, I did a quick check to make sure it's generally considered safe and then scooped it up. I was excited to find out more about it while researching for my review and to see the effects I saw from it

Hard to say that a formula so basic is really lacking anything. The dosage per scoop is 15.5 mg of orthosilicic acid, and the clinical dosage (10 mg elemental silicon) equates to 34mg of orthosilicic acid. This means that 2 scoops is just shy of the proven dosage. If that were rounded out to the full dosage at 17mg per scoop, I'd say it's an ideal amount of orthosilicic acid for supplementation by the average person and can be scaled to meet the needs of somebody who wants more or less. As it is, it's still a good amount.

As to the form of silica used, orthosilicic acid, it's the only type with supporting studies for human oral supplementation. So that's a big plus. However, there's evidence that the human body is able to readily absorb silica from other sources. That makes this a relatively expensive version of the ingredient, which is likely unnecessary. But this form is proven and I saw results from it.

This supplement is mostly maltodextrin at 984.5mg per scoop, just to use as a filler and make the scoops a reasonable size and the dosing consistent.

This stuff dissolves really easily. Just drop a scoop or 2 into water and it will have dissolved in 5-10 minutes. If you stir, it's more like 1-3 minutes to dissolve. No need for a blender bottle. Completely tasteless

One of the Dosing issues with this is the recommendation to take up to 3 times per day on an empty stomach. Other than when I first wake up, I just about never have an empty stomach. I'd mix it with my protein shake regularly for one of my daily doses or drink it after eating and it still performed, so this recommendation might be unnecessary, but if you don't see benefits from it maybe try taking it all in the morning on an empty stomach instead of spreading it throughout the day.

When I saw the list of claims, I thought there would be no tangible or quantifiable way to tell if this was working. "Silica is essential in the regeneration and mineralization processes. Tissue resistance, elasticity, flexibility, and brightness... Increases collagen production and enhances elastin quality... maintaining healthy bones, improving visible appearance of skin, hair follicles, and finger nails."
Oh word?
I can't measure ANY OF THAT. How am I supposed to know if it's working? I read through a ton of reviews. People with thin hair said their hair got thicker. Brittle nails got stronger. Aches and pains faded. I don't have any of those things in the first place, so I can't judge by them.
But then, about 2.5 weeks in, my beard started growing fast as hell. My eyebrows, body hair, and nails started growing noticeably faster. I didn't notice any improvement in skin condition, I still have the usual zit or two on my back and and I'm not sure what other parameters of skin health there are. No noticeable improvements in my joints.

But the increased rate of hair and nail growth could be a sign of increased collagen synthesis, which supports the other less measurable claims made about silica's benefits.

I'm not familiar with other supplements that improve hair and nail health, and potentially bone, tendon, and skin health as well. There's no category for it on any supplement site I'm familiar with, and it seems unreasonable to compare the value to rogaine or moisturizer. Based on the recommendations of a loading dose worsening the value, and many people not experiencing the effects for 3-9 months, it seems like the investment is high for the 'benefits' I experienced: having a harder time keeping myself groomed. However, for those looking to thicken their hair and improve their nail health easily and long term, silica seems like a great choice. See attached images for an apples-to-apples comparison of value for various brands of supplemental silica. Orgono has slightly better value than the most expensive form.

The alternative to supplementation is of course getting more silica in your diet. Here's the silicon content of various whole food products:
Among the highlights for the lifting lifestyle are spinach, green beans, oats, brown rice, bananas, and beer. Check the chart to see how much you should increase consumption of these if you want to match clinical doses through your diet.

And here's a study showing that silicon in whole foods is well absorbed by the body, which the supplement companies wouldn't want you to believe of course:

Side Effects

It might've been because of the drying air and change of the season, but this has never happened to me before. Skin on the back of a few of my fingers started peeling off in chunks around the same time I saw the other effects of this supplement. It revealed strange bright scar-tissue looking and feeling skin, and it's still it there although you'd never notice if you weren't looking. I can't say definitively this caused it, but with the claimed and reported effects on skin, and everything else remaining consistent in my diet and lifestyle, it seems likely.

Conclusion

This seems like an unreasonable supplement for the average supplement user as it just causes the annoyance of the 5 o'clock shadow coming earlier and having to get haircuts and trim and clip your nails more often. However, it also fills a niche role that people may be looking for if they need to improve their nail and hair health. It's certainly an effective product for that, and I can vouch that this company's product will do so very well. Thanks for reading and thanks to Orgono and the TROOPs program for the opportunity

Thanks to Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending it out!
  September 15, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Hydration
  • Boost Of Endurance
  • Increased Recovery
  • Just Enough Flavoring
  • No Thermo Effect
  • Under-dosing In Some Ingredients
  • Proprietary Blends
  • Tons Of Taurine

I used this product a little differently than most people use a BCAA. Instead of drinking it during my workout, I would add 2 scoops to my gallon of water and drink it at my desk throughout the day. I used it during a cut to prevent catabolism while I sit on my ass reading spreadsheets all day with no food in my system.

6.5/10

It loses points right off the bat for the proprietary blends.

6.5/10

It loses points right off the bat for the proprietary blends.

For the INTRA-Training Performance & Hydration Complex blend I did some calculations because the amount of Sodium, Magnesium, and Potassium are disclosed, and each is from only one source.
If the ingredients are listed in order by decreasing amounts, as is typically done, then there is less than 122mg of HICA per scoop, as 22.5mg of magnesium would equate to 122mg of magnesium phosphate.
Conversely, there is no less than the staggering amount of 2800 mg of the cheap filler amino taurine, which has hydration benefits up to a point but at that level, it seems it's just being used to make it look like there are more electrolytes and HICA due to being hidden in a larger total blend. There may be MORE taurine than that if the potassium disclosed includes that from the acesulfame potassium, but it specifies that the potassium is from potassium phosphate.

Unfortunately, the same type of reverse engineering can't be applied to the stim-free Fat Loss Support Complex proprietary blend. This could be as crazily lopsided as the prior blend in favor of the not-so-relevant L-alanine, or it could have even less of the proven ingredients like choline bitartrate and coleus forskohlii. There's no way to know and RCSS is hiding it away from the consumers to whom it should matter most.

It gets point back for having a full 5g of BCAAs in the common 2:1:1 ratio, and the relatively large dose of AstraGin for performance and amino absorption enhancement. The extra electrolytes are also a welcome addition. These are great intra-workout ingredients and the vast majority of the experienced benefits can be found right here.

7.0/10

I got cherry limeade. The flavoring was well balanced with 2 scoops in a gallon of water and with a scoop in 12-20 oz of water. So it had a lot of range for what ratio worked. It just didn't taste all that good.

Mixability was unimpressive with a noticeable amount of grit and residue always remaining at the bottom of my gallon, even though I swirled the jug pretty significantly before pouring it over to refill my 20oz cup that I drink from.

8.0/10

If you've used BCAAs, you know they make a difference in your gym performance. I saw what I expected from a pure BCAA product: decreased soreness and recovery time between workouts. More than I would have expected from a simple 5g BCAA product, so I definitely attribute some additional benefits to the AstraGin.
The anti-catabolic effects during my cut didn't have an appreciable and measurable effect so I can't speak to them. There were no additional toning or fat-loss effects from this product.

6.0/10

See attached price comparison image. You can get a pure BCAA product for way cheaper, and BCAA products with way more (and fully disclosed) extras for comparable prices. I wouldn't buy this if it wasn't on sale, although as an order add-on it might make sense.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

7.0/10

It looks good as a 14.5 gram intra-workout product, and I somewhat trust Ronnie to let his reputation come before the company's bottom line. But the lack of disclosure on the label means that a hefty amount of that scoop might be cheap taurine and L-alanine that isn't doing you much good and just padding their profits. Without knowing how much of the good stuff I'm getting, it's impossible for me to say the value is very good. Because the benefits didn't significantly exceed what I would expect from a basic BCAA product, I'd have a hard time recommending this to others.

Thanks to Nutraceutical Innovations for sending it out!
  August 31, 2016

• Not Much Info About Ingredient

When the opportunity arose to try a new & single-ingredient pump product, I couldn't have been more excited. A relatively obscure dietary supplement in the past as an immune booster, this had been given GRAS status. It was too cool to think somebody had taken a high dose before working out and noticed a pump and then introduced it to the market. If this stuff worked, it would be cool to be one of the first to use it before it's commonly found in everything.

But it didn't work for me.

Points for being fully disclosed. Points for being ...

But it didn't work for me.

Points for being fully disclosed. Points for being properly dosed according to common usage, but I can't call it clinically dosed when there aren't any clinical trials.

The only ingredient in this product is monolaurin, which is lauric acid bonded to glycerol. The touted effects come from the glycerol consumed. Glycerol, commonly found supplementally in ingredients like hydromax glycerol silicate powder and glycerol monostearate, draws water into the muscles and causes hyperhydration. Hyperhydration does provide pumps and exercise benefits.

Monolaurin is a similar ester to glycerol monostearate, but with a higher fraction of its molecular mass being glycerol and a shorter saturated fatty acid attached. This makes it more water soluble and therefore potentially better absorbed than glycerol monostearate.

I'm not convinced that the my body is able to utilize the glycerol from monolaurin, as I get pumps from GMS but not this stuff. Others, accoring to user reviews, have bodies that allow them to get a pump from monolaurin.

5 pills is a little excessive. I hear the flavor is bitter though. I'm not sure how long before a workout responders need to take this, but I experimented and found nothing successful.

No pumps. I tried 10 pills a couple of times and got sleepy, but didn't get pumped. I tried all sorts of timings and quantities and poured the powder out of the capsules into other drinks but nothing gave me a better pump in the gym.

There is a lot of promise for this ingredient as immunoprotective, and it has had a lot of success in in-vitro trials as a bacterial and viral inhibitor. There's a few promising reports of Lyme disease being improved by using this, and there aren't many options for some with Lyme disease. I personally didn't have any reason to believe that MonoPump helped my immune system, as I'm not often sick and continued to not be sick while I used it.

This is going to be the value for me. SupplementReviews describes a 4/10 value rating as "It's too expensive for me to consider ever buying again" and that is exactly where it fits. It compares quite well to other products that are sources of monolaurin, but there's no way I'd pay for a product that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

I like this company. Beg them for a sample pack and try it on an arm day. If you're a responder like some of the reviewers here, then this single ingredient product that potentially boosts your immune system and pumps up your muscles is a great value and great option.

But I wouldn't recommend potentially wasting $32 to try a bottle when the reviews so far seem to indicate it has a 50/50 chance of working.

Thanks to Nutraceutical Innovations for sending it out!
      August 10, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Joint Support
    • Increased Strength
    • Enhanced Absorption
    • No Muscle Gain

I've long considered laxogenin to be one of the best available supplements for the huge population of athletes and lifters who want to avoid steroids for legal or competitive reasons. The research and anecdotes associated with laxogenin compare it to anavar, which is silly, but people clearly and consistently gain strength on this stuff. Let's talk about how Nutraceutical Innovations' product performed for me and how it compares to the current field of supplements in this category.

9.1/10

One of the biggest contentions with laxogenin suppl...

9.1/10

One of the biggest contentions with laxogenin supplements is their poor bioavailability and absorption. One attempt to solve this problem is binding the laxogenin molecule to a lipid like phosphatidylcholine to form a phytosome that improves absorption (PMID: 19803548). Another method of increasing bioavailability is absorbing laxogenin transdermally by applying it to the skin and allowing it to be drawn into systemic circulation through the skin. MegaLax attempts to solve the absorption issue with its TetraSorb delivery technology which consists of: an enteric capsule which minimizes breakdown of laxogenin in the stomach via acids and enzymes, a fat that dilates the tight junction and increases permeability in the gut (PMID: 22150547), a saponin that both acts as a surfactant and increases gut permeability (http://www.wjpr.net/download/article/1409138810.pdf starting on page 6, but the whole write-up on oral bioavailability is interesting), an analog of the grapefruit juice extract bergamottin which has gained popularity as an additive to prohormones increasing their lifespan in the system, and finally piperine which also inhibits certain enzymes and may increase the absorption and lifespan of laxogenin in the body.

And then of course, the important part: Laxogenin. 25mg per capsule leaves it plenty flexible in terms of the dosage you want to take. They recommend 4 caps per day for 100mg/day, the typically recommended dosage even without a specialized delivery system to increase absorption. Works for me.

I've heard anecdotally that transdermal laxogenin can be more effective, but I prefer the convenience of pills.

n/a

I like the versatility of 25mg capsules.
    I wouldn't recommend opening them and mixing the powder with a shake or drink. Fairly powerful and very bitter flavor.

8.7/10

I gained strength while losing weight during my run on MegaLax. I took 2 caps with breakfast and 2 preworkout (or with dinner on rest days). I gained more strength while using it than I did in the prior year. And I cut down almost 14 pounds in the same 8 weeks. I don't think anything else needs to be said.

8.7/10

This is one of the best prices per milligram that you can find on laxogenin. It's the very value you can find on a product that also has an absorption enhancer.

Olympus Labs' laxogenin product has an absorption enhancer combined with the laxogenin in a proprietary blend, and best case scenario it still falls far short of MegaLax's value. If the contents of Olympus Labs' laxogenin product proprietary blend are in the same 1:3 ratio of laxogenin:absorption enhancer like MegaLax has, then the value is 18% of the value of this product.

Primeval Labs' laxogenin product claims it now has 'liposomal technology' to increase bioavailability, but lists no ingredients on its label that would account for this change in ingredients. Regardless of whether they added an undisclosed delivery enhancer, it still has a worse value than MegaLax.

The only laxogenin product I found that had a better price per milligram was Nutraceutical Innovations' bulk laxogenin powder.

I attached a picture of the chart I made to compare various popular laxogenin supplements, but keep in mind that LGI's Secreta Bridge has other anabolics in it.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

If you are a supplement connoisseur and haven't tried laxogenin, this is the place to start.
    Or, if you want to get strong and you want to stay natural, this is the product to use. There are better natty products for muscle gain, but I have yet to find one that has comparable strength gains. And of course, building strength is a fundamental step to building more muscle mass.
    Sorry for the delayed review, but shout out to Nutraceutical Innovations for a great product well researched and well executed at an awesome value.

(SR paid for product; Athletic Greens did not participate)
      May 4, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Well Absorbed Form
    • Decreased Soreness
    • Type Of Fish
    • Distillation Method
    • Subscription For Best Value
    • Fish Burps
    • No Vitamin E

When you first get to the website, it looks a little like a scam. After some time around the industry you know you can say the same thing about a lot of places though, even ones as popular as GNC. Shout out to SupplementReviews not only for giving this company their credit card information (they bought this product for us to review), but also somehow figuring out how to order their fish oil, which I still can't figure out how to do from their main site. To be able to even see ordering options from their fish oil page, by googling Athletic Greens Fish Oil, you have to enter a phone number and email address. The whole scheme doesn't sit right with me. But the way that it's sold has very little bearing on how felt about the product. Let's dive in.

This company really emphasizes the form of their omega-3's because they're in 'natural' triglyceride form and therefor absorbed better. I took a look at the studies, and the one that shows the superior absorption of the form that Athletic Greens ("AG") uses is well structured. It shows convincingly that re-esterified triacylglycerols ("rTAG") improve serum omega-3 concentration 70% better than the far more common ethyl esters ("EE"). Additionally, another well constructed study showed convincingly that rTAGs improve the 'omega-3 index' 15% better than EEs, which means that the percentage of omega-3's incorporated into red blood cell membranes is higher. These two studies show that the rTAG form is better absorbed than EEs & conveys additional benefits because of that.

I read through a bunch of garbage studies too (comparing maximal blood levels, hydrolysis rates, and single dose ingestion effects), but another reasonably well structured one showed that total serum lipid and serum phospholipid levels of omega-3's were "essentially identical" when comparing consumption of EE vs rTAG. The only reason I looked so closely into this is for curiosity after I found that prescription fish oil uses the EE form, but studies seemed to show the superiority of rTAG.

The reason the profile didn't receive a 10 is for two and a half reasons:
    1) I wish that vitamin E was added to prevent peroxidation. Oxidized fish oil becomes rancid and becomes pro-inflammatory (opposite of intended effect) and stinky which is obviously undesirable.
    2) The company was unwilling to back up their claim that the product is 3rd party tested after email exchanges. They put it on the label, but they wouldn't even disclose who was testing it, much less the test results themselves.
    3) Nitpicking here but they also claim that the product is allergen free but proceed to have the disclaimer, obviously, that this product contains the allergen of fish-derived products. What else on their label is stupidly inaccurate?

They get good marks for disclosing the types of fish used to create this fish oil - anchovies and sardines. These fish are lower on the food chain and not bottom feeders so they're less likely to have high levels of mercury. They are also not known for being unsustainably fished.

The distillation method is disclosed as molecular distillation, which is great I don't believe there's a better distillation method.

Taste/Dosing

High concentration of omega-3s allow you to get in a good amount with few pills.
    Taste was not great, definitely encountered fishy burps fairly often.

Where to start on the effects of fish oil? They've been studied so extensively and have beneficial effects on so many parameters of health, subjective well-being, and cognition. Most people don't consume the proper ratio of fats, and supplementing fish oil helps bring it into better balance. A couple relevant highlights of balanced fatty acid consumption include: an improved lipid profile (with lower serum triglycerides, lower LDL, and higher HDL) and decreased fat mass. Check out the Examine.com page on fish oil for more.

The effects I noticed were decreased joint stiffness and a slight decrease in soreness, but most effects wouldn't be noticeable and are just improved health parameters.

This is actually one of the best values you can find on the triglyceride form of fish oil. But in terms of the value of omega-3's, supplementing with the EE form still makes better financial sense even after accounting for the worse absorption rate. Athletic Greens has their best value for fish oil at 2.44g of omega-3s' per USD shipped. That means you'd need to find an EE version that sells at 4.15g/$ to have a better value. NOW Ultra Omega from Amazon significantly exceeds that criteria, as does Nutrabio's fish oil from their site by an even larger margin.

One fish oil option just popped into the TROOPs feed from Intelligent Labs that has highly concentrated fish oil in triglygeride form for a better value than Athletic Greens, and they provide all 3rd party tests, don't require subscriptions to get better deals, and include antioxidants in their capsules.

Side Effects

Fishy burps with fair frequency.

Conclusion

I don't know that I'd ever recommend this unless it goes on sale. I can understand somebody wanting to use the triglyceride form because it requires consumption of less total fat to reach whatever level you want to supplement omega-3's due to improved absorption. Intelligent Labs has better value though in this category. Citadel Nutrition is triglyceride form, and is slightly worse value (-3%), but I can vouch that you will never have a fishy burp if that's important to you. For most people, I'd say go with an EE form and save some money. Nutrabio is a great brand if you don't mind fishy burps, although they shouldn't happen too often. Go with enterically coated NOW Ultra Omega to prevent them entirely and get a better value than this product.

5.9
    Thanks to Primeval Labs for sending it out!
      May 3, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Increases Training Performance
    • Decreases Muscle Fatigue
    • Good Pumps
    • Versatile
    • Fully Disclosed Profile
    • Dyes

Thanks to Primeval for letting us try their product. They know they came up with an effective product here and they put it on the line to get some impartial reviews here. It was a great experience for me on every level, although the issue with the scooper left me concerned.

Love the ingredients and the amounts. I think the BCAA's could be dosed higher but the amounts included will get you through a workout. It'd be nice to see HydroMax form of GMS, but the price per gram of active ingredient is very comparable between the two. Lack of stims make this a more versatile pairing with other supplements.

HBCD is a great carb choice and I'll shamelessly plug my more thorough writeup of it from NutraBio's supercarb: http://supplementreviews.com/nutrabio/super-carb/review/supplement-another-top-notch-product-51299

The combination of taurine and BCAA's are synergistic and included at dosages proven to decrease biomarkers for DOMS and muscle damage. (PMID: 23392882)

Glycerol monostearate drives water into cells leading to a pumped look and hyperhydration which has ergogenic benefits. Nitrosigine is a great way of improving the bioavailability of arginine and effectively raises serum levels.

Blue raspberry was good and very strong. These ingredients are really easy to flavor and they did a good job of it. I used far above the recommended level of water, but that might have been due do a dosing issue not a flavoring one. I'll get into that in a moment.

Mixability was fine using a blender bottle and shaking the same way I do for anything. GMS tends to not dissolve completely and you can see it begin to settle out. Swirl as you drink and it's no problem.

Dosing takes a hit because the scoop is the wrong size. According to the company, the scooper issued was twice the proper size. I measured my scoops and found that I got 26 level scoops with the one provided. There's something not quite right there. I then was shipped another tub by Primeval (too generous and another reaffirmation of their confidence in a great product) with assurances that it was corrected, but it unfortunately had the same problem. It's hard to say how much I was taking of any given ingredient with each scoop. Primeval says that the next batches to be manufactured will be corrected and I believe them so I don't think it will be an issue for anybody in the future, but it certainly was a problem with mine.

I got through workouts feeling great. HBCD has been an absolute gem for improving my workouts and this product kept me going strong far later in the game.

The pumps were great visually but I didn't feel the pump like I can with some products.

Recovery was definitely improved. Not massively, but noticeably. This applies to being more functional immediately after a tough workout and having less severe DOMS a few days afterwards.

These are some very basic ingredients that can be easily found in bulk and will save significant coin. The best price I could find on this is $40 and for 20 servings that's $2 per workout. Buying in bulk allows some flexibility and customizability with the ingredients, and while the flavoring adds some value for Intracell 7, I don't feel that it's enough for me to purchase regularly. No matter how much I truly enjoyed it I'm rather a minimalist and I don't work out to have good workouts, I work out to get bigger and stronger and be healthy. The criteria for a 6 out of 10 value on this website is "I would only buy this again if I had money to burn." and that accurately describes where I place its value relative to other options for ergogenic aids.

Side Effects

n/a
    I experienced no side effects while using this product.

Conclusion

7.5/10
    This is a product that excels at what it does with a very simple approach. Anybody who wants better workouts should consider giving this a try though to see how it works for them. And if you're looking for a basic, thorough, and versatile intraworkout product and convenience is higher priority than saving some money then this is definitely the product for you.

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
      April 11, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Mixes Well
    • Super Clean Protein
    • No Fillers
    • Not Widely Available.
    • A Bit Pricey

Nutrabio is an awesome example of how to have good values behind a company and they stand out in the industry for that reason. They participate massively in SupplementReviews.com and the quality of their products is second to none. But with the amount of cheaper sources of identical whey protein, I don't want to pay the Nutrabio premium price for whey. I prefer my genetically modified boneless skinless chicken breasts with rib meat for $2/lb over free range organic grass fed BS chicken breast for $6/lb. Call me crazy.

Honestly this sh...

Honestly this should be a 10/10 it's an amazing profile for an isolate, just as we've come to expect from every single product from Nutrabio. My objection is to an isolate in the first place. By processing the whey more thoroughly into a purer form, you're adding costs to production that I'm not receiving as benefits as the consumer. I'm not allergic to dairy, so I don't care if there's some lactose in it. There are literally 20 less calories per scoop in Nutrabio's isolate than their concentrate. That's like one almond who cares. Actually I welcome the extra calories, and it's even cheaper than isolate anyways. What kind of gym rat doesn't want more calories? And for less money to boot.

A gram of whey protein is a gram of whey protein, and in my opinion isolate isn't the most sensible.

8.5/10

Taste: I got strawberry. Very light flavor. The protein itself smelled terrible, but fortunately that didn't translate into the flavor once dissolved. It was a slight improvement over unflavored protein when mixed with water. It was the perfect blend of creaminess and flavor when mixed with vanilla almond milk, and take that from somebody who doesn't like almond milk (I stole some from my roommate to try it for the review and ended up buying more to finish my run). One of my post-workout shake options was straight dynamite though: 2 scoops strawberry protein, 2 tbsp choco nesquick, and 16oz whole milk. I also highly recommend this combo with any banana proteins, but the way Nutrabio's strawberry came through with this was just right.

Mixability: This was certainly a highlight. Two scoops in 6-8oz of water dissolved fully and wasn't a thick or clumpy shake. Quick and easy way to get protein in without ruining my appetite for whole foods when I have to get a lot of calories down.

Dosing: 25g protein per scoop. That's right in the range most people typically want to supplement at a time. You can adjust to a heaping scoop or a shallow scoop depending on your needs. Scooper and packaging were very easy to use.

This is exactly what I'd expect from a pure whey protein. Recovery improvement was noticeable versus a diet without sufficient protein. Digestibility was good, I've only had a few proteins that caused problems with my stomach and I didn't expect any from this. From the SR guidelines an 8 means 'Solid results, I could tell it was working' and it certainly did no more or less than that. While there are many long term benefits associated with protein-rich diets, and resistance training in general, there was nothing in particular to note in that regard during my run.

This is where this product struggles. I've recently come around to the belief that a quality and expensive supplement can have significantly more value than a cheap one that makes similar claims. I've just seen and felt the difference too many times to keep doubting that a good company's expensive products are worth buying. That rule just doesn't apply to something as basic as whey protein that so many companies do correctly.

I always calculate prices of proteins based on the number of grams of protein you're getting per dollar spent. For a 5# tub from Nutrabio, before paying for shipping, you get 25 grams of whey protein for each dollar you spend; that's the maximum value you can get their protein for. Buying one 2# tub and shipping drops that all the way to 17.4g for a dollar. Nutrabio runs 10% coupons maybe 3 times a year, and free shipping promos twice a year in my experience so value won't improve much from that.

Another reputable source of protein, MyProtein, has a coupon code right now that allows you to buy whey protein concentrate and get 67.2 grams of whey protein (excluding any fats and carbs) for every dollar you spend. Oh, you're so committed to isolate? MyProtein's premium price right now is 59.7 grams per dollar. Even a mainstream, high quality, deliciously flavored highly rated protein blend can be found on Amazon for a better price per gram of protein than Nutrabio. PES Select can be purchased at the rate of 26.4 grams of protein per dollar, and it's been shown that a protein blend post workout has greater benefit than just whey. So why would you buy Nutrabio's isolate?

Even if you just buy Nutrabio's whey protein concentrate instead of their isolate, you're getting 29.2 grams of protein per dollar. If you get their isolate, it's like paying full price instead of entering a 15% coupon code. Who would do that??

Side Effects

No gas, bloating, or discomfort of any kind. This is a high quality isolate.

Conclusion

6.5/10
    If you're picking up something else from Nutrabio's home run lineup, maybe toss some protein into the shopping cart. Or wait for one of their infrequent promos and snag one or two to support them. As much as I love the company and what they stand for, I wouldn't recommend making them your go-to protein isolate supplier. The value of this supplement, which should be a daily staple for a majority those interested in fitness, is just too low.

Overall
    Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
      February 29, 2016

• Extreme Endurance
    • No Bloat
    • High Quality
    • True Label Disclosure
    • Heartburn
    • Lack Of Size Options

Thanks to Nutrabio for participating in TROOPs. They're a great company and the opportunities they've provided for this site are amazing. I've had plenty of mediocre experiences with carb products and only a few that stood out, either in a good way or a bad one. Super Carb is one that left a great impression.

25g of HBCD as the trademarked Cluster Dextrin and an extensive electrolyte blend for hydration. This is the ideal formula for me for a basic HBCD product and I wouldn't change the amounts or the contents. The real purpose of the main ingredient here is ENERGY. Carbs provide energy for your workout, no debate there. But does super carb do it better somehow?

Carbs sitting in your stomach don't do anything for you but cause bloating and discomfort. It's when they move into your intestines that your body is able to start utilizing them. These "super carbs" move through your stomach very rapidly and start providing you with energy without any of the heaviness that would make you want to avoid them before and during a workout. That makes this supplement a great option to fuel your workout. They can also be used post-workout or I guess anytime you need carbs, such as with meals, but with the lower price and higher tastiness of other carbs out there I think the only time this product shines is pre- and intra-workout.

Another of the muscle building ergogenic effects of carbs is that they are used by cells to create glycogen, which causes them to draw in water to utilize that glycogen. Drawing glycogen and water into the muscle is what causes that carb pump you might've heard of before, which is also a route to cellular proliferation and growth. There's also a phenomenon called glycogen supercompensation that happens once cells have used up a lot of their energy reserves and then have carbs introduced to the system. This effect may be more pronounced using this product post-workout in a more depleted state. Muscle cell proliferation can be triggered by this glycogen supercompensation.

Electrolytes are good for hydration and fluid balance. I'm not too familiar with any performance enhancing benefits that they might provide beyond preventing cramping in those prone to it. Electrolytes play a significant role in almost all the processes in your body, and you lose them when you sweat, and you sweat when you workout. The inclusion makes sense.

I got a full container of orange mango and samples of grape and pineapple. Orange mango was way too sweet with the recommended amount of water, but just right with 21-24oz per scoop. I wasn't tired of the taste at the end of the 60 scoop jug.
    When mixed with unflavored whey protein concentrate after a rough workout, it was delicious. When mixed with Nutrabio's strawberry isolate, the texture got funky and the drink separated. That was disappointing because strawberry orange mango sounds legit as hell.

I usually LOVE artificial grape flavoring (shout out to line6reed) but this time it didn't come together. The aftertaste was no good, and it certainly wasn't as good as orange mango. The pineapple flavor was delicious too and not as overly sweet as the orange mango. It's an option I'd choose over orange mango if I didn't want to use as much water with the product.

Dosing was kind of a hassle; I had to take 2 blender bottles to work with me on workout days. This might be a good argument for using the unflavored version to combine with your already flavored preworkout, intraworkout/bcaa drink, or post-workout protein.

Mixability was beautiful. Always a light, clear mixture. Occasional chunk of powder when it was just super carb and water, but that never happened when it was mixed with protein.

I've never used a pure HBCD product before. I've used it combined with table sugar or dextrose, and for a while even sweet potato powder to help defray the cost. So stepping up from diluted TrueNutrition's HBCD product to Nutrabio's pharmaceutical quality carbs was beautiful. This stuff isn't like beta-alanine where you have to take it for a couple weeks and it starts to increase your body's muscle carnosine stores which buffers lactic acid and you get an extra rep when working in a particular rep range. Nah. This is like caffeine. Take it, and lift longer and stronger that day.

I used it before I worked out and my strength kept up way longer through my workouts. I was doing heavier sets later in my workout. Significantly heavier, significantly later. That's the main thing I recognized as the effect I wanted and got from the product. While better workouts aren't my ultimate goal, obviously they help to achieve every single one of my long-term goals at the gym.
    It was also a nice way of adding calories to my diet.
    The pumps. So real. Quite literally the best pumps I've had in my life when: a) working out with nothing in my stomach except super carb, and b) paired with my current preworkout, expired Pre-Cre.

8.1/10
    I usually like to go with round numbers to not overly complicate things, but this is just a nudge above an 8 which is described as "Great value. I don't mind paying this much for what I get."

Is it expensive for a supplement? It's really not, coming in just under a dollar per serving. Is it expensive for a carb? Shockingly so. Is it expensive for a quality cyclic dextrin from a reputable company? No, there's nowhere else where I could buy an HBCD product that I trust as much as this one with the conveniently added electrolytes and delicious flavor options without artificial dyes that I don't want messing with my stomach. And the last question, is this a good price for the effectiveness and benefits I perceived from the product? Yes. Decisively.

When taking all these into account, maybe this isn't the best option for some people but I truly believe it is for me. A tub felt like it lasted a LOT longer than 60 scoops.

Side Effects

Unfortunately, I did experience some heartburn/acid reflux that I attribute to super carb. If I finished my workout and didn't put solid food in my system afterwards, I would get some very acidic burps and burning in my stomach and throat. VERY uncomfortable. Post-workout shakes didn't help, it had to be solid food within 30 minutes after I was done working out. I didn't see anybody else mention this side-effect so hopefully it's unique to me. Something to be careful of though, and if anybody is experiencing that problem try eating some solid food and see if it helps.

Conclusion

I wish there were more size options available. Particularly smaller ones. One tub lasts up to 60 workouts, which for some people could be as long as 4-5 months if you use it every workout. I don't want to use one flavor for that long, and if I buy multiple flavors ($110 investment minimum at current prices) then they're going to sit around for 8 months before I finish them. That just doesn't make too much sense.

But let's go out on a high note because obviously giving this product a 9/10 rating I absolutely loved it. I would rather spend money at NutraBio than other companies because of the values they embrace. To be honest, money any of us are spending on dietary supplements should be disposable income and if I can afford to budget for a carb supplement, I'm willing to spend a premium to buy from them. And in this case the price difference is in the range of 5%. Easy decision.

This product provided me with increased energy and took my workouts to the next level. The benefits of carbs in a high quality delivery system like this was a wonderful experience. Carbs have other theoretical benefits as discussed in the ingredient profile section, but my practical experience was just improved endurance. Yes there was an uncomfortable side effect and dosing was inconvenient, and yet I know I will be back to buy more Super Carb to incorporate into future stacks because the effectiveness and quality are undeniable.

Thanks to Myotropic Innovations for sending it out!
      November 4, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Decreased Soreness
    • Improved Digestion
    • Inconvenient Dosing
    This stuff is great if you want to be really good at digesting food. But I don't think that's why people buy supplements. There may be some downstream effects of improved digestion that would be of interest though.

An enzyme is a molecule that speeds up a specific reaction. So digestive enzymes contained in this will help break down macronutrients during the digestive process.

I like it a lot. It was really hard to figure out how they decided on the amounts and dosages, even though the fact that they use scientific units is an improvement over many products in the category. I reached out to the company rep on SR, and sent them an email through their website. The bottle had a number to call and leave a voicemail, so I tried that as well. I never heard back from any method of contact. Ultimately this profile is just enzymes and more enzymes, and with quantities on par with other digestive enzyme products.

Protein Enzymes- Pancreatic Proteases, Bromelain, Papain, and then more pancreatic Proteases in the form of additional Trypsin and Chymotrypsin
    Carb Enzymes- Pancreatic Amylases
    Fat Enzymes- Pancreatic Lipases
    Extras:
    Anise- No great sources on this. Does lots of good stuff, primarily digestive effects.
    Fennel Seed- Same thing. Not being lazy, seems like that might really be the reason they included it.
    Rutin- Used in combination with Trypsin and Bromelain to potentially alleviate arthritis symptoms.

The ingredients that I can confirm are reasonably dosed are Rutin and Papain. Bromelain is on the spectrum but really quite low.

Enteric coating deserves a mention here, as enzymes can be damaged in the acidic environment of the stomach and are much more effective in the intestine. This is uncommon among enzymes and increases bioavailability, though there are no sources on how much.

Dosing was a PAIN. 2 to 3 caps twice a day on an empty stomach. That means they have to come with you on the go and that is just so inconvenient. I did definitely note a difference in effectiveness after I transitioned to taking on an empty stomach so I recommend that route.

These were tasteless and small pills. Clear coated and they go down easy if you're picky about pills.

On the standardized SR scale, "Solid results, I could tell it was working."
    No digestion issues ever. No bloating, no discomfort, no gas, super regular poos. I usually have some issues when I get adventurous with my diet and stray from basic homemade foods, but even Indian and Mexican food didn't ruin my system.

A couple days after I started taking these between meals instead of with them, I had a noticeable decrease in how long a workout left me sore. I wish there was more support for this being a consistent effect of digestive enzymes. Literally the only mention of any DOMS reduction by Myotropic Innovations is some small sideways text on the bottle- "D.O.M.S Recovery Complex." They don't mention soreness reduction in any literature on their website, and none of the research I did came across evidence that enzymes reduce soreness. It's odd because Myotropic Innovations lists many other unfounded claims on enzyme benefits. Regardless of this, it reduced my level of soreness.

This is shockingly similar to NOW Foods Super Enzymes, which are about 1/2 the price. Feel free to check for yourself, but make sure to compare the per pill quantities not the per serving quantities. The only significant difference is the enteric coating, which as I mentioned earlier certainly adds value. I don't feel that it doubles it.

Bromelain is a broad spectrum proteolytic enzyme with great oral uptake and it is quite cheap. If your goal is just improving protein digestion, that might be a supplement to look into. Overall, the value of getting digestive enzymes from this product isn't quite good enough with the other supplement options.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

The answer to the question in my title is: No! Supplementing 6 different fairly thorough protease enzymes doesn't have cumulative benefit. Increasing your intestinal levels of some fat, carb, and protein enzymes will have benefits, but RZYME over-complicates and basically overprices it.

This product is good at what it does. It improves digestion and for me decreased length of soreness. If you have digestive issues or you're interested in a different avenue of DOMS reduction, I'd recommend starting with a different product like the NOW Super Enzymes I mentioned. If that doesn't do the trick, try these and see if the enteric capsules make a difference for your system.
    I'm going to try some other enzymes, as I've only used Bromelain and Papain before and experienced no benefit from those. I may very well come back to this at some point, but between the inconvenient dosing and being more of a luxury supplement than an essential one, I'm not confident that this will come across my shopping list again. It may earn a place in the industry though if their enteric coating shows increased benefit for many.

Thanks to 5% Nutrition for sending it out!
      October 13, 2015

• Solid Profile.
    • Helps Put On And Maintain Weight
    • Helps Meet Macro Goals
    • Oats Sink To Bottom
    When a supplement company starts as the brainchild of some big ugly dude whose profession seems to be spouting steroid broscience on YouTube, it's fair to be skeptical. I sure was. When I saw this come up as a TROOPs opportunity I thought I'd get a free tub then laugh at the suckers who overspent for some "real food." But having used this stuff, I definitely won't feel like a sucker when (not if) I order a tub.

This product is a simple and solid attempt at creating a way to supplement your diet with healthy carbs.

No, I'm not getting ahead of myself with...

No, I'm not getting ahead of myself with a perfect rating for the ingredient profile. What are the carb sources you typically see in the context of fitness? Potatoes, rice, and oats are the overwhelmingly common ones. Low processing, tasty or easily flavored, versatile, and easy to cook. This product incorporates sweet potatoes and oats into a highly convenient package. Each scoop comes out to 20g of carbs which leaves the user able to customize their use based on their needs. Anybody can fit some multiple of 20g carbs into their diet plan.

Overall, I just can't come up with a profile that better fits the intentions of this product. There's nothing I'd change, so full marks for the ingreds.

Taste & Mixability

9/10 for taste. I got the blueberry cobbler and both alone or with unflavored whey this stuff was delicious. Always looked forward to it.

8/10 for mixability. Used 14-16 oz of water for 2 scoops Real Food and it mixed perfectly in a blender bottle with the tornado-y twisty thing. No clumps like other reviews have mentioned. The same amount of water worked the same with added unflavored whey. Settling was a problem, but a swirl before drinking solves that.

This product claims to conveniently help anybody meet their needs for whole food. Meets those claims. Even the container helped add to that with a big accessible tub and easy to use shovel scooper. I used a double scoop after my workouts or in the afternoon on non-workout days and could clearly tell by the end of a month that I had been adding 200 calories a day to my diet. One thing about drinking your calories that can be a pro or con depending on your goals is that they don't leave you feeling as full. This allowed me to get these quality calories in without interrupting my normal intake and basically threw in some healthy calories to keep me about maintenance. Sweet. I think the taste should be mentioned again here, as being able to look forward to this shake as much as I look forward to a hot meal just further develops this product as 'real food.'

Use as a last minute meal replacement is also great.

A 4lb 60serving tub goes for $42 at IPYP. There's no way around the fact that this means paying over $10/lb for potatoes and oats. The taste and convenience are the only things that differentiate this from those FAR cheaper staples. I'm usually thrifty, but I enjoyed this stuff enough that I'd buy this stuff. The convenience and taste make up for that price difference.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

Thanks to 5% you guys really exceeded my expectations. I'm glad you guys realized what you had there and put it up in the TROOPs program to show the world that you're the real deal. 'Real Food' fits like a glove into the niche that this company recognized that it could fill, and by making the taste, mixability, and convenience top notch, this stuff is definitely going to be incorporated into future supplementation for me.