petey7408

Rep for: ProSupps

• Member has been active for 9 years, and was last online 2 weeks ago

Reviews by petey7408

Since becoming a rep, petey7408 has not been allowed to post additional reviews. Read more about our rep rules.

Overall
Overall
9.4
  April 17, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Blend
  • Incredible Taste

I've been around here for over 9 years now, formerly working as a main contributor to the site and the guy that ran it behind the scenes before moving on to do my own thing in the supplement industry. Now that I am in a transition phase between companies, I felt this was the time to drop a review for a product that has been deserving of my attention and review for a long, long time. Thanks to Jeff over at Nubreed for sending it my way to test out and without further ado, let's get MyoBlast the review it deserves.

Some will give the ...

Ingredient Profile 9.2/10

Some will give the ingredient profile an odd look at first glance seeing that the chosen protein blend consists of milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, micellar casein and whey protein isolate. However, I think that this ingredient profile is stellar and well thought out. The reason being is that a blend of whey/casein has been shown in numerous research studies to illicit the best response in regards to protein synthesis and sustain that effect for the longest duration compared to just whey alone. I also like that they use a higher inclusion of whey protein concentrate as high grade WPC has benefits including immunoglobulins and and other whole food properties that aid in digestion, immune system health and have less issues with degradation. Further improving the profile is the inclusion of digestive enzymes that feature proteases and lactases which help to break down milk, whey, and micellar casein proteins to deliver essential amino acids more efficiently.

Macronutrient wise, this is on point as well. I don't want to hear someone complain about 1.5g of fat and 3g of carbs to go along with 25g of protein. These are naturally occurring and I used this protein in contest prep, so if you're thinking that these minuscule amounts are what will hold you back from any of your goals, you need to take a long, hard look at your diet and other factors. This is a solid winner in my book.

Taste/Mixability 9.8/10

The taste of the flavors I tried were simply incredible. Jeff does a phenomenal job of flavoring products for all things across the board at Nubreed and the MyoBlast is no exception. I had the Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Caramel and they were two of the best flavored proteins I've ever had..and I've had tons of different protein so this is no small feat, especially when I'm not usually a fan of vanilla. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone that is picky about protein flavor...you won't be disappointed and with a lot of flavors to choose from, you'll find one for you. I had no issues mixing and even for a blended protein, which typically has a thicker texture, it was enjoyable to drink and had a smooth consistency, though you may need a touch more water than you are typically accustomed to.

Effectiveness 9.0/10

Keeping this simple. It mixed great and was easy to digest. I judge a protein by how it feels digestively and this was a breeze with no issues so it gets the job done, short and sweet.

Value 9.0/10

This is a touch more pricey than other 2lb proteins on the market, however this is due to the cost of the raw goods that go into the formula. Isolate proteins aren't cheap and the inclusion of digestive enzymes are both cost drivers here, so I really have no complaints. Unless you've worked in the formulation side of things like I have, you really don't get a grasp for how much ingredients really cost. With that knowledge, in reality, the cost of roughly $35 for a 2lb tub with these ingredients is where it needs to be. You pay for quality, folks.

Conclusion 9.4/10

This is one of the best proteins I've tried overall. I love the blend that was used for the profile, the flavor and texture is one of the most enjoyable that I've had the pleasure of drinking and overall, this is a protein that I would highly recommend. The science is solid behind the blend using both whey and casein, the enzymes are on point for added digestive benefit and for those needing a macro-friendly protein will be pleased. A great overall product and for those have yet to try out products from Nubreed should start here.

Overall
    Overall
    9.3
      April 8, 2015

• Preserves Lean Body Mass
    • Appetite Suppression
    • Nice Taste
    • Noticeable Increase In Body Temp
    • Jitters
    • Caffeine Content Can Sneak Up On You

Update 02/02/2017:
    For those reading...this review is on the old formula of Alphamine. The new version that is out is complete garbage and the profile is rated 3.0/10...not even close to the version I rated here.
    -----

It's Spring time once again and of course that means that many are looking for the best thermogenic to get their cut started. This product has been out for quite some time and of course the video review will cover the majority of what I have to say, but in addition, the written review will be an additional synopsis.

The ingredient ...

Update 02/02/2017:

Ingredient Profile 9.3/10

The ingredient profile very solid indeed including a Lean Performance System that has Choline Bitartrate, Alpha-Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid, Eucommia Ulmoides Leaf (98% Chlorogenic Acid) and Olive Leaf Extract. It's a nice, cognitive blend of ingredients that will drive focus and mental sharpness while of course doing it's part as a thermogenic in synergism with the Ergothermogenic System that includes Caffeine Anhydrous (125mg), Higenamine HCl, Pausinystalia Yohimbe (Bark) Extract (SA2-A).

The key ingredients here are the SA2-A, also known as Alpha Yohimbe and is the driving force overall of this thermogenic product. Granted yohimbe isn't for everyoone, if you respond well to it, you'll definitely be a fan of the inclusion. Briefly the other major inclusions are the Choline Bitartrate, Eucommi Ulmoides leaf and Higenamine. I am a fan of the powder aspect as that means it is a pretty customizable product and that the caffene content ringing in at 125mg/scoop won't be overwhelming, even at a full 3 scoop dosage. I'd say it's an innovative product that builds on the success of their Alpha T2 and overall, there leaves me with no complaints.

Taste/Mixability 9.5/10

Simply put, it's easy to mix and the taste is actually pretty good. I prefer the Fruit Punch flavor and the best way I can describe it is that it is sharp and sweet similar to Smarties candy. A little water is all that's needed and often times I'd just put the powder on my tongue even and just chase it with some water. Keeps it simple and gets the process rolling, no need to beat a dead horse in the written review.

Effectiveness 9.4/10

As with any thermogenic, the effectiveness will rely of course on a variety of factors including the user's tolerance to stimulants, calorie deficit, training style, metabolic rate and of course what they're looking for in a thermogenic product (appetite suppression, hardening, etc). For my purposes, it is a very well rounded product. I'm not looking for something to stim me through the roof as I use pre-workouts for the mental/cognitive aspect so it was a nice balance. My main points were looking for appetite suppression, muscle preservation, hardening as promised and of course a increase in body temperature since it is a thermogenic after all. For me, it delivered on all aspects in a good way. My deficit wasn't at a crazy number and my cardio was kept reasonable, so with those factors listed, it was definitely a noteworthy performance and made it one of the most well rounded thermogenics I've used. If there was anything to complain about for me, it would of course be that the stims can be a bit much with the caffeine added when combining with other products, however that is something that can be self-mediated and adjusted accordingly.

Value 9.0/10

The value is on point with all the other thermogenics on the market, so I don't have any complaints. If anything, the complaint for many will be the same thing that makes it a draw for others: It's a powder. I didn't mind the powder aspect of it, though if I was out and about, it was way more inconvenient to carry around the container than having a capsule to take, so I can see their rationale. With that being said, the price per serving is right where it should be and it delivers on all it's promises from my perspective.

Conclusion 9.3/10

Keeping this short and sweet, I feel that Alphamine is one of the most well balanced thermogenics on the market and is one of my top pics after all this time since it's release. It delivers on what it promises if you have everything on point and it's pretty novel with the hardening/muscle preservation system to go along with one of my favorite thermo ingredients (alpha yohimbe). If you're looking for a product to cut up with and don't mind or want to try a powder version, this is the way to go. Once again, my written review is brief, so see the video for my detail, but for now, it gets the Petey seal of approval.

Overall
    Overall
    9.2
    9.2
      March 31, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Simple Ingredient Profile
    • Clean Profile
    • Lightly Flavored
    • Mixes Well

As we all know, MuscleTech has become known for having overpriced, under-dosed and kitchen sink approach products take over their line. I'd go as far as saying that they're just a marketing company that happens to sell supplements in previous years. A bit harsh, yes, but it sometimes you have to call it like you see it. Fast forward to the release of their Platinum Essential Series last year and I was pleasantly surprised that they have taken things back to the drawing board, evaluated their direction and simplified things rather than going out of their way to rely on marketing. With that, comes today's brief review for Platinum 100% Casein.

Ingredient Profile 9.2/10

The ingredient profile is the make or break of any protein powder, and with past products from MuscleTech, they overhype or overstate simple ingredients. There's none of that here, refreshingly they keep it simple with a slight twist on the basic casein product. It has a breakdown of casein fractions including alpha 1, alpha 2, beta casein and kappa casein. It's simple yet covers the whole spectrum of fractions and most importantly it's cold processed so it's not denatured. Nutritionally, it's lean and mean with 110 calories, only .5 a gram of fat, 2g of carbs and most importantly 24g protein, meaning that you're getting protein rather than sweeteners and fillers. Good stuff and very basic which bodes well in my book.

Taste/Mixability 9.3/10

It mixes instantly which is always a plus, and anyone that has used casein in the past knows that it can have a unique texture compared to other proteins with a slightly 'gritty' texture. Yes, there will be a little difference any time you're using casein protein powder as it's the nature of the protein, but this is one of the smoothest versions I've used which is a bonus. It doesn't clump, yet as you would expect is a bit thicker than other proteins. I primarily use casein for 'Proats', as in I mix a scoop of casein with oatmeal and a bit of water for the calories, and this works extremely well for that. The flavor isn't over the top as I rocked the Vanilla flavor and with the minimal sweetener added, it is exactly what you would expect with just a hint of vanilla sweetness without going over the top. Once again, simplicity is a plus in my book as I'm not looking for a milkshake here.

Effectiveness 9.2/10

The criteria for me when it comes to rating proteins is actually pretty simple...protein is a macronutrient so the thing it's going to be rated on is digestion and how it makes me feel in that aspect. Keeping it simple, I didn't have any digestive issues, no bloating as it's cold filtered. I didn't notice any difference in this aspect compared to any other casein, so it doesn't go above and beyond but then again it's not lacking and surprise, surprise: It's just casein protein.

Value 9.0/10

I have no complaints and for such a simple product, as it rocks a smooth, average $29 for a 28 serving container, putting it dead on point with all the other casein products on the market. You're getting exactly what you're paying for with a clean profile rather than fillers, it does the job it's intended to do and it doesn't try to be something it's not. Simplicity wins and at an industry average of $1/serving it's right where it needs to be. Good stuff here and it's refreshing to see a product from MuscleTech based on simplicity and value delivered for the price it comes at.

Conclusion 9.2/10

Overall, I was impressed and pleased with the direction that MuscleTech went with the Platinum Series. They backpedaled a bit, went away from the extra bull***t that they are known for relying solely on marketing and came out with a simple product at a good price. No hype, no extras that don't need to be in there and they aren't relying on here-say ingredients to give them the selling edge. Straight up casein, and a refreshing change, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a look if I was in the market to try a new casein protein. Sometimes simplicity is king, and that's what we have here.

March 24, 2015

Pros:
       Cons:
      • New And Exciting Ingredients
      • Increased Ingredient Doses
      • Simple Profile
      • Not A Responder
      • Lackluster Pumps

C4 has been a kingpin in the pre-workout game for the last few years after it quickly became Cellucor's staple product and top seller. It's so popular that you can even buy it in 3 packs at your local store! But, of course with success comes competition and that forces a brand to evolve with the changing climate of competitors or risk losing their ranks among the top levels. With a lot of heavy hitters on the market these days to choose from, it's no secret that the original has started to lose it's luster. In response, Cellucor has taken the well known name and revamped not only the original version but added a 'heavy hitter stim' version that we are seeing in the new C4 50x. With it supposedly being 50x more explosive, it sets itself up to be a pretty big hype machine...

Ingredient Profile 8.5/10

First of all, let's take a look at the ingredients. Promising to be 50x more explosive, literally the only difference in what they did was add 50% more of each active ingredient including the Calcium, B6, Folic Acid, B12, Vitamin C, Niacin, Beta Alanine, Creatine Nitrate, Arginine AKG and Energy Blend. Out of all of them, the only ones that really matter in this case for increasing performance noticeably will be the Beta Alanine, Creatine Nitrate, Arginine AKG and the Energy Blend of course.

I like the main components with the beta alanine, creatine nitrate as they are both great for endurance and pumps, but what makes the ingredient profile special aside from being the exclusive product to have the creatine nitrate is the revamped stimulant blend. Included is the standard caffeine anhydrous, but what is very, very intriguing is the TeaCor and the Xcelicor.

Starting with the TeaCor, this is a pretty exciting new ingredient that has only been seen in a couple products so far (the other being Purus Labs TheaTrim). It's special as it's a derivative of Chinese tea and has shown a lot of promise being a powerful cognitive stimulant that has no tolerance build up so it hits just as hard each time, but research is relatively limited and ongoing with the majority of it being conducted on rats. However, there is a promising study in the Pharmacological Reports showing a promising 7 day trial in humans that had no signs of desensitization..a brief and of course not conclusive research study, but positively reinforcing the effects.

Next up is the 'Xcelicor', also listed as 'CocoCrystal' or technically Caffeine Pterostilibene. It's a ChromaDex patented product and is probably the most exciting out of the new inclusions in the product and is important to note that the 50x version has this but the other C4 does not, so this is the main deciding difference between the two version aside from 50% more dosing. The research for this new version of caffeine has been pretty damn impressive with highlights showing that it's 30% more absorbable into the bloodstream, has 30% slower absorption for sustained effects and has a 25% increase half-life compared to traditional caffeine anhydrous. This all means that it can potentially cut down on the amount of caffeine needed in product by 50% while getting the same effect...pretty cool.

Now, with two novel, and exclusive ingredients included, why is the ingredient profile sitting somewhat low? Well I would have rated this higher, but the main issue here is that the energy blend. The original has 150mg caffeine anhydrous listed per scoop, meaning that almost half the 'energy blend' is taken up by this leaving a little room for the remaining ingredients including the novel TeaCor. In the case of the 50x the amounts are even more clouded as it only lists that there is a total of 200mg total caffeine per scoop...meaning that the ratio of caffeine anhydrous to the 'Xcelicor' is completely unknown. Are we getting 190mg of caffeine anhydrous and 10mg of the 'good stuff' Xcelicor? No way of knowing and that's my issue.

With the price being adjusted and a product putting so much stock in being put in including 3 very exclusive ingredients (Creatine Nitrate, TeaCor, Xcelicor), I fear that it may be underdosed which is unfortunate being that they have so much promise. Until they are listed a little more clearly, I have to dock the overall well rounded and pretty cool profile.

Taste/Mixability 8.3/10

Well....if you've had Blue Raz flavored anything, you've had this flavor. I'm a bit burnt out of the flavor and it's just as good as it has always been, but with that being said, it's nothing special. Mixability wise, it was perfectly fine, no settling and it's ready to slam. Moving on....

Effectiveness 7.0/10

Now, this is where I was disappointed...I was expecting big things with the inclusion of the TeaCor and Xcelicor, however I'm not a huge 'caffeine only' stimulant guy. I've shifted primarily to products that include the complimentary nootropics as I don't respond as well as I used to with straight up caffeine and if I'm rocking 400mg of caffeine regardless of what ratio the Xcelicor to anhydrous, I would expect more of an effect but it just wasn't there. Pump and vascularity wise, it was decent as that's what creatine nitrate does and with a hefty overkill amount of beta alanine, the endurance was actually pretty good. Overall, I was a bit let down here and feel that including a nootropic or something to compliment the novel stimulants here would have been a potential homerun, but ultimately I was left wanting more. A great profile is one thing, but this stuff just didn't do it for me.

Value 8.5/10

You get a solid 45 servings (22.5 workouts if you're rocking 2 scoops) it's a slight value increase over the nearly as expensive Gen4 Version of the C4 that doesn't have the added Xcelicor. The bulk of the value here is going to be that it has patented exclusive ingredients and (unknown ratio of energy blend aside) well dosed amounts of the critical components and you're getting 45 servings instead of the standard 30 (Nifty sales tactic..the servings are increased by 50% per container). However, with that being said, a product loses value to me when there are blends and of course if a product doesn't work as you would expect, that's pretty hard to justify. My final complaint is that this is going to be a GNC exclusive at least for now and $62 member prices is pretty steep but with that being said in all fairness, the original version that has only 30 servings is $53 so there's not much of a difference. Middle of the road here and if you're looking to try this, wait till it comes to a place aside from GNC obviously.

Conclusion 7.6/10

After seeing the new inclusions of TeaCor and Xcelicor as well as a bumped up dosage of the Creatine Nitrate, I wanted to like the C4 50x...I really did. However, it just didn't do it for me and this was ultimately one of the more disappointing products I've used in quite some time. It's not a bad product, it was noticeable effect wise compared to having not taken a pre-workout, but for what the potential could have been with a better balanced and tweaked amounts of the TeaCor and Xcelicor (my opinion), this was a let down. Final verdict is that it isn't a bad product, it's got a lot of good stuff and if you respond well to straight up caffeine or the current version of C4 you will love this. However, with me routinely using other types of pre-workouts including more performance based and nootropic founded formula's these days, this just wasn't for me. Not quite 50x the let down, but not what I expected.

March 14, 2015

Pros:
       Cons:
      • No Proprietary Blend
      • Reputable
      • Focus
      • Excellent Workouts Everytime Without Crash
      • Outstanding Ingredient Profile
      • Unique Ingredients

First and foremost, thanks to LGI for sending out the new edition of Fully Loaded for myself as well as a few members of my Expert Review team to try. This isn't a new product overall, as it has been on the market for over a year now, however the updated, 'special' edition of it that I'll be reviewing today is new and improved from the tried and true original. I've put this off for far too long, and now I'll break down why this gem of a pre-workout remains one of my favorite.

Ingredient Profile 9.6/10

The name certainly should be an indicator of what the product would entail ingredient wise for many, but just in case you haven't checked, it is packed to the brim with ingredients. Each has a rhyme and reason and I have yet to find something to nit pick here. I won't be breaking the entire thing down in the written review as it is already done in my video, but to make a simplified cheat sheet of what is included here is a listing by general purpose and a few highlights:

Muscle Function/General Energy/Cell health:
        Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Niacin, Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl), Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin), Magnesium (as Magnesium Glycinate Chelate), Sodium, Potassium (as Potassium Amino Acid Complex)

Blood Flow/Circulation/Endurance/Pumps:
        L-Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, Taurine, Glycerol Monostearate, Glycine Propionyl L-Carnitine Hydrochloride (GPLC), L-Tyrosine, Agmatine Sulfate

Stimulants/Nootropics/Cognitive Enhancement:
        Glucuronolactone, 2-Amino-4-methylpentane Citrate (AMP Citrate), Caffeine, L-Norvaline, Sodium Glycerophosphate Pentahydrate, Pikatropin, Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), Phenylethylamine HCl (B-PEA), N-Phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine Ethyl Ester, Huperzia serrata Extract

Overall, I'm very impressed by the ingredient profile and a few things that really stand out is that this product to feature AMP Citrate and Pikatropin. These are obviously in many pre-workouts and thermogenics now, but when this product first came out and then was later slightly tweaked, it was one of the pioneers in this regard. The other interesting inclusion is the Arecoline Hydrobromide. This is an interesting (and expensive) inclusion that I haven't seen in any other product and it has a lot of promising potential. It increases cognitive function and memory as well as focus and stacks very well with the other products. For a more thorough breakdown of the profile, check the video review!

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 9.3/10

Straight forward, this is a great green apple flavor. I wasn't too excited when I saw that was the flavor choice as that flavor has been overdone and I'm pretty tired of it, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one and it turns out to be one of the best green apple flavors I've tried. It's not something I'm going to want to sip on all day, but when you slam your pre-workouts quick like I do, it's pretty pleasant every time. The ingredients in here can be tricky to mix and have an odd texture by nature, but with that being said, this stuff still mixes pretty well and I definitely don't have any complaints. Lastly, there is no 2 scoop nonsense. Everything is dosed for 1 scoop maximum effectiveness for a very straight forward product. Good stuff!

Effectiveness 9.5/10

Not only does it have an ingredient profile that is packed to the gills, but it delivers like you would expect it too. The stimulants and nootropics work synergystically to bring you a focused, intense mental edge each time you hit the gym and the effect stays consistent throughout the container without the effects diminishing like some other pre-workouts tend to do which is awesome. It doesn't go over the top in terms of slamming you with stims to a state of anxiety but walks the line beautifully between amped up and focused. The pumps are very good and a shining point of this product as the ingredients were chosen to work very well in complimentary ways as well for cell volume and blood flow, and it's an especially fun product for 'pump' style workouts. No complaints, it functions very well and it delivers each time which is a great bonus leading into the value category...

Value 9.5/10

With the ingredients chosen for this product, they could have cut corners by pixie dusting the amounts, but that certainly wasn't the case. This is flat out an expensive product to make and going the route of delivering a great product at the price instead of stuffing things into a container for a higher profit is a risky move, but certainly paid off. While each one has a higher cost of production, the care taken to formulate and dose certainly isn't unnoticed in terms of effects and that is what will be bringing me back. To further drive home this point, a little searching for the cost of the raws for some of these ingredients is eye opening so by all means if you have some spare time, it's worth the entertainment. Overall, great ingredients and effects for an outstanding price, in my opinion.

Conclusion 9.5/10

Fully Loaded is just as the name implies....a fully loaded pre-workout. The ingredient profile is hands down one of the best on the market and that I've seen put together. There was no corners cut in the product on the product and it lists everything in it's entirety which is refreshing in this crowded pre-workout market. It isn't cheap to produce, so by delivering such a solid product for the price it is listed for, it makes it all that much more special. I would recommend picking this up if you haven't given it a try yet and see for yourself why this remains a hot product, has won product of the month and continues to be one of my top recommendations. Outstanding work here from LGI and it gets the Petey seal of approval as well as the highest product ratings I've given to date.

Overall
        Overall
        9.3
          February 26, 2015

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Incredible Ingredient Profile
        • Scientifically Supported Ingredients
        • Incredible Pumps
        • Increased Vascularity
        • Notably Increased Performance
        • Lacking In Stimulant 'Buzz'
        • Majority Will Need 2 Scoops

Thanks to the good folks over at iSatori, specifically Artie and of course the owner Stephen for sending this to me as well as the a few other members of the Expert Review team. This received quite a bit of hype leading up to and I was looking forward to a full container run after getting my hands on the initial BETA testing samples and when it dropped, I was ready to roll full swing. The video review is much more in depth than the written, so I encourage you to watch it as well!

Ingredient Profile 9.6/10

The ingredient profile is hands down one word: stellar. After seeing what...

Ingredient Profile 9.6/10

The ingredient profile is hands down one word: stellar. After seeing what would be included in this pre, it was clear that there would be no expense spared here as there are many high end ingredients, and then when it was released to see that everything was listed in it's entirety instead of a prop blend, it made it all that much more special. There is a thorough breakdown in the video review, but a written synopsis is as follows:

Advanced Muscle-Building Complex: Bio-Gro™ Bio-Active Peptides, Creatine Monohydrate, CarnoSyn, Creatine HCL.
        I really like this blend overall. Everything in here is a high-end product and indluded for good reason. The Bio Gro peptides have been a huge hit and the research supporting their effectiveness in increasing protein synthesis has been compiling and I have yet to use them with disappointment. Creatine monhoydrate is one of the most thoroughly researched sports performance ingredients in history and will provide that additional ATP for strength and power. CarnoSyn is the high end version of beta alanine, which is phenomenal supplementation wise for lactic acid buffering and increasing muscular endurance and last but not least, the creatine hydrocholoride provides a fast acting and powerful source of ATP for muscle performance and volumization.

PlasmaVol™ Plasma Expansion Matrix: HydroMax, Citrulline Malate, Nitrosigine (as Inositol Stabalized Arginine Silicate), AstraGin.
        This is another hugely exciting area for this product. First and foremost, I'm loving the inclusion of Hydromax which is a glycerine and silica hybrid, and contains over 65% free molecular glycerol to give it added advantages over straight glycerol alone correcting the problems of traditional glycerine as an ingredient including solubility and effectiveness. Citrulline is a classic ingredient and for good reason for it's role in cell hydration and health and it's no surprise to see it included here as well. The other exciting product is the Nitrosigine which is a new arginine silicate. This new, novel version of arginine is stellar in increasing nitric oxide production, muscle pumps and vasodilation not only in the short term, but has a sustained effect compared to the traditional version.

Core Focus Blend: Caffeine, Anhydrous, Grape (seed), Schisandra (fruit), Hordenine HCL.
        This is my only complaint about the product. Overall, the stimulant blend is a bit pedestrian for me and if you're stimulant junkie, this probably won't be the product for you. It's basic and classic which is a beautiful thing so kudos there and the dosages are adequate, however in the age of nootropics and harder hitting stimulant/focus blends, I don't feel this was the emphasis of the product.

Taste/Mixability 8.7/10

All of the flavors I got in the sample pack run were solid and pretty basic with no complaints, however the flavor I'll be basing this rating on is the Cherry Limeade. It has a smell that reminds me of cherry flavored cough drops and the flavor is actually pretty good. It does also taste a bit like cherry cough drops to boot with an added lime hint. It's lightly flavored which is fine by me and goes down easy, so flavor really isn't a big deal anyway and you won't dread drinking it. In terms of mixability, upon opening the tub it looks like a nightmare, resembling what could be described comparable to wet sand. This is completely normal however as the nature of the ingredients, specifically the HydroMax cause this. Simply make sure that you vigorously shake and break of the clumps to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together and you're golden. No complaints and it mixes clear and easy in water.

Effectiveness 9.3/10

The effectiveness is two fold: If you're looking for a product that crushes it in terms of volumizing, vascularity and pump effects this stuff will blow you away. With HydroMax, Nitrosigine, creatine HCL, CarnoSyn and other key ingredients, they deliver and then some. Some of the best pumps I've had as of late have been from this product and I'm loving it for that aspect.

On the other side however, I felt the stimulant effect of Pre Gro was a bit underwhelming. I'm a self proclaimed stimulant junkie to be fair, so it does take quite a bit to impress me and other factors such as reduced carbs can play a role. For those looking for a huge buzz, this won't be the product for you, but if you have a lower stimulant tolerance or are looking for a small pick me up with outstanding performance and pumps, it's more than made up for.

Value 9.4/10

The ingredient profile is pretty ridiculous when you look at it, but in the best way possible. There were no corners cut or expenses spared and I'm pumped to see everything included at the doses that they were. There is the downside of needing 2 scoops so that 30 servings is going to be only 15 workouts for the vast majority of users, however, this is a case of paying for the best of the best in terms of ingredients and you're getting a 'Cadillac' of a pre-workout in quality. No question as to what is in it and ad what dosage, so that is a huge selling point for the value here and I feel makes up for the relatively small life span of a container.

Conclusion 9.3/10

The ingredient profile jumps off the page/container, the science behind the product is tried and true with an ever growing body of research to support the ingredients included and the quality of the product overall is unquestionable. From a pump/performance aspect, this is one of the best to date and will be in the running for the best newcomers in an early 2015 entry, and overall the only area that is lacking to me is the mental focus/buzz aspect. The lack of an appeal to sim junkies is very easily overcome as it can be adjusted to your liking with additional stimulants if need be and you can be damn sure the pumps/vascularity is worth the run. This stuff didn't disappoint and I have no reservation about giving it a positive thumbs up for rocking a container and seeing what happens when a bunch of novel ingredients come together for a truly novel experience.

Overall
        Overall
        9.3
          February 17, 2015

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Great Nutritional Profile
        • No Corners Cut In Ingredients
        • Great As MRP

The good folks over at MetRx were kind enough to send a few containers of Protein & Oats my way for testing and I have to say that I was pretty damn excited. I'm a huge, huge fan of the oats/protein powder combination and it's pretty much a staple in my diet year round. Whether it be old fashioned oats cooked up and whey mixed in for the hot version, using raw oats with protein as a quick, thick MRP or anything along those lines, it's hard to beat these two powerhouses. Simplicity is king and in this case, reigns supreme.

Ingredient Profile 9.3/10

With the name of this product: P...

Ingredient Profile 9.3/10

With the name of this product: Protein & Oats, I have to say that you'd think it would be pretty hard to f**k up, but you'd be amazed when it comes to some companies attempting to make similar products have cut corners or added garbage to cheapen an already cost effective product. However, with that being said, MetRx didn't cut corners and instead delivered on what they promise for a simple, yet complete product. The nutritional profile looks clean as can be when it comes down to it. The protein, carbs and fats are all on point with what you would get mixing a similar homemade version of such a combination, and there isn't the additions of unnecessary ingredients.

The protein is sitting at a nice 25g per serving and consists of a nice blend including Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and Dried Egg Whites. I like the broad spectrum of proteins here, all of which are quality (no soy or other less expensive proteins). The carbs in this case will be a tad different compared to the old fashioned oats you have in your cupboard since this is a shake version after all, so theres a bit of processing, and that consists with a more mix-friendly combination of oat flakes, oat fiber and a pinch of maltodextrin for solubility and anti-clumping. The lipids were well thought out as well. They're still relatively low per serving at only 5 grams are all from naturally occurring sources including the concentrate versions of proteins, the natural fats in the oats and then rounded out with a nice little inclusion of Flaxseed Powder, Sunflower Oil and Medium Chain Triglycerides which are all great. For bells and whistles, they add in a glutamine and arginine blend as well as a multivitamin matrix for the added nutrition bonus. I have no complaints here overall and feel that even for a simple product, they took the necessary time to make sure it was well put together.

Taste/Mixability 9.3/10

Being an instantized version of the oats here is a nice change that will draw many consumers. I've made a homemade version of this product for smoother on the go mixing using oatmeal powder, but generally I'm a bit odd and if I choose to do a shake version of protein and oats will just throw whole old fashioned oats and my protein of choice in a shaker, add water and mix it up, enjoying the unique experience of chewing soggy oats...an acquired taste/texture preference but to each their own. With that being said, if you're looking for a more traditional, smooth mixing shake/meal replacement, this won't disappoint. It mixes great with just water and the texture while a bit more grainy compared to being plain protein will still be pleasant to drink to even the most picky of consumers.

Flavor wise, I tried both the vanilla cinnamon and the blueberry and both are incredible. The vanilla cinnamon is just as you would expect and tastes like the classic vanilla protein powder in old school oats. Blueberry is one of my favorite flavors period so I was especially excited to try this out and it definitely delivered. It has a natural blueberry taste without trying to be overly sweet or something that it's not which is nice because I like most prefer a more subtle, natural taste compared to something overly sweet.

Effectiveness 9.3/10

Yet another area that's pretty hard to mess up...it's seriously protein powder and oats. With that being said, it's very versatile and does exactly what it's supposed to do..provide you with protein, carbs and fats. It's an excellent meal replacement or addition for getting in additional calories in a balanced ratio.

The main criteria here is digestion. Sometimes with products that have additional carbs or especially fiber content can cause digestive issues such as bloating or other uncomfortable sensations in the stomach, however that wasn't the case. It mixed smooth, went down smooth and digested with no issues, just as a traditional version of protein and oatmeal would. Simple and to the point, it's an effective product for helping you meet your calorie needs or getting in a clean version of a meal replacement.

Value 9.3/10

First and foremost, obviously this isn't going to be a staple product for most. Its very simple to make this on your own and the value will be for those who are in a hurry as it eliminates the excuse of not having enough time (though saying you don't have time to microwave a 2 minute bowl of oats is bullsh*t). It also is a nice version for some that find eating cooked oatmeal is almost too good at satiety purposes and get full quickly. Making a liquid version helps you get it down if you don't have as much of a appetite, as not everyone is like me and can smash 2 cups of oats dry measure without batting an eye. A bit of a luxury item when it comes down to it, it does provide exactly what it promises in terms of nutrition, the ingredients are high quality and they don't overcharge for the product making it doable if you choose to go this route.

Conclusion 9.3/10

Overall, it's a very versatile and feasible product. If you're in the market for a meal replacement or simply have the issue of the aforementioned satiety issue making it tougher to eat traditional versions of whole oats, definitely give this a look. Is it 100% necessary to add in as a staple? Of course not, but it serves it's purpose very well and is a solid product for those last minute situations or when you need something to switch up a thing or two in your diet.

8.9
            February 11, 2015

• More Endurance
          • Scientifically Backed Ingredient Profile
          • Nice Thermo Effect
          • Might Be Too Much Advantra Z (Bitter Orange) For Some

First and foremost, thanks to the Nubreed Nutrition for providing the opportunity to try out multiple flavors of their hot pre-workout, Undisputed. It caught my eye when I saw the label, so I was looking forward to trying out yet another promising looking pre-workout. With that being said, let's dive in and see if we have a solid contender!

Ingredient Profile 9.3/10

Overall, the ingredient profile was a well put together blend so lets's have a little breakdown of the blends starting with the 'Vaso Drive':

Arginine Carglumate kicks off the formula and is simply a more stable vers...

Ingredient Profile 9.3/10

Arginine Carglumate kicks off the formula and is simply a more stable version of arginine NAG. Arginine Pyroglutamate is also thrown in and is an interesting inclusion here as it has been shown to have positive benefits for HGH production Lastly, the classic L-Arginine is in there as it has been tried an true for circulation.

Beta Alanine is included of course as it is included in nearly every pre-workout on the market these days for its role in increasing intracellular carnosine levels which increases endurance (less burning sensation in the muscles) and of course you have the new staple of AgmaPure which is the trademark version of Agmatine for nitric oxide production and of course increasing endurance as well.

N-Carbamyglutamate known in short as NCG is a promising ingredient that has been shown in a few research articles to increase protein synthesis, though at this point it the studies although promising are relatively new for human trials. 2,6-Diaminohexanoic Acid which is simply the chemical name for Lysine is included for it's traditional role of maintaining nitrogen levels in skeletal muscle. Citruline Carglumate is another promising ingredient for the promotion of nitric oxide production, though the studies I've seen aren't as promising/intriguing as some of the other ingredients. Ornithine, yet another amino acid is included for the aid of removal of ammonia and last by not least in the Vaso Drive blend is Vanadyl Sulfate which aids in the uptake of glucose into muscle tissue in theory.

Next up is the 'Nu-Drive' blend for the focus and drive aspect:

Glycine kicks off the blend for it's role in overall central nervous system health and enhances the effects of the other ingredients in the entire profile. Of course if it's a pre-workout, it almost is a law that caffeine is included as it is obviously hands down the most popular stimulant on the planet and there's no surprise here for it's inclusion. Interestingly Acacia Extract has been around for quite some time but is only resurfacing as of late for it's effects stimulant wise, especially with the removal of all the products having DMAA. I quite like this inclusion and it's definitely unique.

Higenamine is a popular inclusion these days and is a beta-1 and beta-2 adrenergic agonist, meaning that it will raise your heart rate and even help with lipolysis creating a nice 1-2 punch of effects and of course aids in the warming sensation you'll experience. Advantra Z is a trademark name for the old school bitter orange extract and is included for the thermogenic properties.

N-dimethyl-4-hydroxyphenylethylamine more commonly known by the trade name Hordenine has been shown to cause an increase in heart rate, blood pressure, and blood flow further aiding in the thermogenic effect, however the downside is that it has a relatively short effect. Last but not least before taking a deep breathe is Alpha GPC...a little inclusion at the end of the ingredient profile for mental focus.

Research study breakdown concluded, I was actually quite impressed and everything in here was well thought out. I've had the opportunity to sit down multiple times with the creator of the Nubreed products and he definitely knows his stuff, so I was holding this profile to a pretty high standard and this certainly didn't disappoint. The only complaint I have, if any, is of course the fact that it's in a trade secret proprietary blend. With that being said, it was impressive enough of a ingredient profile to not lose too many points from the overall score.

Taste/Mixability 9.0/10

I had both the Sour Apple Candy and the Peach Mango flavors sent to me by the good folks at Nubreed. Both ended up being pretty good without being over the top in terms of flavor so either way you go, you wouldn't go wrong with a decision between the two. If I had to choose between them, the edge goes to the Peach Mango simply for the fact that the market is pretty saturated in terms of green apple flavors these days and the Peach Mango was definitely unique. Mixability wise, it mixed like it should with little to no settling, so I have no major complaints.

Effectiveness 8.9/10

Overall, I'm pretty stimulant tolerant so it wasn't going to put me over the edge in terms of a buzz, so I did lower the score in this aspect. It does shine however in terms of the 'warming' thermogenic effect which is pretty cool. Not something you'll typically get in a lot of pre-workouts, but with the nature of how this is formulated, it definitely delivers. Pumps were alright, but nothing to get too excited about so if that's your end game with a pre-workout, you might be a bit disappointed as that wasn't the primary focus. Overall effectiveness wise, it was enough for a focused, level workout and the thermo effect was very solid, though if you are sensitive to bitter orange extract, this hits pretty hard.

Value 9.0/10

There were no corners cut here in terms of the ingredient profile and I feel that makes for a great value. Price wise, it is on point with the rest of the pre-workout market and like most out there, you'll probably be rocking 2 scoops. 40 servings per container falls in the industry average and if you're rocking the aforementioned 2 scoops, that's 20 solid workouts. No complaints and with the ingredients you're getting I feel there's not much to fix.

Conclusion 9.1/10

Overall, the ingredient profile is very thorough, complex and well thought out with an interesting and unique emphasis on what it aims to deliver. It shys away from the traditional bouncing off the walls stimulant aim and gravitates to a more even stimulant and cognitive blend with an added thermo effect. While it isn't (pun intended) the undisputed best pre-workout out there, I definitely like this as a unique approach for a pre-workout instead of another 'me too' product and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend giving it a try should you get the chance. Well done Nubreed and I'm looking forward to trying out more of their extensive product line.

February 3, 2015

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Excellent Pumps
          • Increase Oxygen Intake
          • Mixes Well
          • Works Well With Agamtine
          • Solid Research Backed Ingredients

Noxygen was first brought to my attention by the good folks from Purus Labs nearly a year ago during out meeting at the Arnold Expo in Columbus. At an event with a ton of new product launches looming, this particular product stood out from both the product idea, the research of ingredients and of course the approach that the Purus Labs crew always puts in their marketing. If one thing is to be said for Purus as an almost certainty: they nail the marketing and anticipation every time and each product. Hype is great and all, but the part that had me most excited was the ingredient profile. The Purus team is pretty impressive on the research front and being the research scholar that I am, the inclusion of ingredients with studies behind them are all that much more intriguing. With that being said, finally getting my hands on some, lets dive on in and dissect this simple beast...

Ingredient Profile 9.6/10

Diving into this beast, the ingredient profile is pretty straight forward yet novel. It's a straight up additive pump product being stimulant free, unflavored and there's no dye. The key players in this particular product is HydroMax Glycerine, Nitratine and betaine nitrate.

Starting with the heavy hitter here, The HydroMax is what makes this product, hands down. Traditional glycerine has been in products for quite some time, however the HydroMax which is a trade name version from the good folks at Glanbia. The traditional problem is that the old school version in solution only has concentrations of only 5 to 12%. This is corrected through good ol' science by the creation of HydroMax which is a blend of glycerine and silica, and contains over 65% free molecular glycerol to give it added advantages over straight glycerol alone, addressing the first gripe of the aforementioned traditional version.

So....that's great and all but what makes the higher concentration better? Well, HydroMax is easily absorbed and distributed throughout the intracellular space. This means that it plays a huge role in increasing the concentration of fluid in the blood and tissues (aka helping your pump). In addition to the sought after mentally satisfying 'swole' feel of the pump, you also get the potential benefits for endurance and stamina as well as increased water storage for improved hydration. Simply put, the HydroMax is the high end, most effective version of glycerol that has the science to back it up rather than using using it as an ingredient that 'might' work.

In addition, the Nitratine and betaine nitrates promote blood flow, working synergistically to enhance oxygen sparing and increase overall vasodilation/blood flow.

Long story short, the ingredient list is short, but the order it fills is tall. This was well thought out and the research backs each ingredient.

Taste/Mixability 9.8/10

This will be short and sweet...taste wise there is none as it's unflavored and with no dye it doesn't change the appearance of whatever you put it in. It mixes very well being an updated version of glycerine (the HydroMax once again), which addresses another gripe of the traditional inclusion of such an ingredient not mixing well. At the meetings this was addressed by Jason himself saying: "We're putting our powders in other people's products. Use it in your favorite pre and you won't even know it's there." No complaints at all.

Effectiveness 9.4/10

This product delivers every bit as advertised. It provides that nice fluid shift into the muscle tissue for a great, full feeling where you want it most and there was also the noted increase in endurance which you'd expect via the increased oxygen sparing and blood circulation. It was consistent with each use and I tried it with multiple pre-workouts. Interestingly, it did seem to compliment products that contained agmatine for a synergistic effect, so take that into consideration as well if you give it a whirl.

Value 9.7/10

The value is great overall. You're not paying for any fluff in the product and each container has 40 servings and the standard going price is around $20. For the quality of ingredients used, it's definitely on point and with it being so versatile and delivering on it's claims consistently it's a nice addition to your pre-workout. You'll be hard pressed to find a pump product that has a much research in the ingredients or that matches the amount of servings for the price.

Conclusion 9.6/10

I was very pleased with Noxygen and have gone through at least 5 containers of it to this point. It's a great addition for the pump and performance benefit aspect of your workouts and the versatility while remaining effective is a huge plus. The price alone makes it hard to not pick up and try at least once and see for yourself and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with the effects.

8.9
              January 28, 2015

• Solid Profile
            • Overly Sweet
            • Proprietary Blend

The wonderful and amazing part of supplements is that they are a worldwide endeavor! With efforts for SupplementReviews to expand into the global scope of things, I'm pumped to have started reviewing products from the second largest supplement market in the world: Australia. This was sent to me directly from the good folks at Platinum Labs, so props to them for providing the test product. One thing that is important to mention is that there is a Australian as well as a United States version, which is actually a pretty common occurrence when it comes to products that are offered for sale in multiple countries. Now, back to the 'down under'!

Ingredient Profile 8.9/10

The ingredient profile is solid overall, with this being the Australian version which at label glance, my preferred choice, so better yet! Taking a little look, it is relatively simple and to the point, but each ingredient is chosen carefully. In depth, we have CDP Choline. L-Tryptohpan, L-Tyrosine, Mucuna Pruriens, Thebromine, Creatine HCL, L-citruline, TMG 8-12, 8-6, Agmatine, PEA, Beta-Alanine, Caffeine Anydrous and Beta Vulgaris.

Out of these ingredients the key players that make this product tick are beta alanine for lactic acid buffering, creatine hcl, CDP choline, agmatine and beta vulgaris.

In case you've been under a rock, beta alanine is a non-essential amino acid that has been shown to enhance physical performance and exercise capacity via marked delays in muscle fatigue and promotion of muscle endurance. Creatine HCL breaks down and absorbs faster than any other creatine, and it dramatically increases muscle cell volumization which causes an anabolic response making the muscle cell increase in size.

Choline promotes brain metabolism by increasing acetyl-choline, restoring phospholipid in the brain. The version included in this product is specifically CDP Choline which passes the blood brain barrier activating the synthesis of critical components in cell membranes which will help enhance cerebral energy metabolism while helping increase the levels of numerous neurotransmitters.

Last but not least we're looking at increasing blood flow and of course the highly sought after pumps, bringing us to agmatine and beta vulgaris. Agmatine is a byproduct of arginine with the carboxylic acid end removed, and has been all the rage for replacing arginine in terms of pumps and vascularity as it seems to provide a greater response. The funny sounding beta vulgaris is simply...beet root! It's been gaining ground recently in research as being a nice, natural source of nitrates which further promote blood flow and circulation.

Overall, the ingredient profile is very solid, but my biggest complaint is that it is listed as a proprietary blend. While it is a very well thought out blend, and a trade secret is understandable for your specific mix, there has to be a bit of deduction as we're all about transparency in labels. On another note, the consistency in labeling between countries can play a role here as well. Not a huge deal, but something of note.

Taste/Mixability 8.5/10

I got the pineapple flavor and it was pretty solid, through the whole container. While I enjoyed it, it did have a somewhat odd taste that I never got used to that took away from the enjoyment somewhat, but nonetheless, it wasn't a terrible product to drink. The main drawback here is that I would say the pineapple tries to be too close to the natural version in the sweetness factor and I just wasn't a fan in that regard if I were to nitpick. Mixability wise, it mixed pretty well with no real issues and minor settling.

Effectiveness 8.9/10

One thing I noticed upon ingestion which is strictly a 'initial feel' note, is that even as a veteran to the ingredient, the beta alanine tingles hit hard. From a focus and energy aspect, it didn't put me over the top, but it definitely did it's job in terms of kick in and giving that boost for the workout, as you'd expect a pre-workout to do. I didn't have as much of a 'razor focus' effect, but then again as of becoming accustomed to pre-workouts with additional nootropic ingredients compared to just stimulants, it was a little less intense, so a victim of the tester's experience I would say. Endurance was notedly improved with the inclusion of the lactic acid buffering beta alanine and pumps were classified as 'OK' as this wasn't the primarily focus of this pre-workout. The highlight was the consistency of the product overall, meaning it delivered each time in the same way, so there wasn't any drop off. Overall, I would say it lives up to the hype and is worth a shot if you can get your hands on some.

Value 9/10

The ingredient profile is on point with high quality versions of ingredients used to match what I feel is a well put together profile. It's got 30 servings per container like most pre-workouts these days and price wise, it is on point with the competition. The big downfall at least in some regards is that in some instances, you may be looking at higher pricing if it has to ship internationally, and of course it is a bit harder to find compared to some other products. This doesn't detract from the value overall to me at least, and I was feeling it was a solid product for the asking price.

Conclusion 8.8/10

I enjoyed Defcon 1 and was glad that my international product reviewing experience began with a solid product such as this. It isn't going to be on my list of 'best pre-workouts of all time' but it is a very solid product that has a lot of hype and sells well for good reason. It delivers consistently, uses a simple, straight forward yet effective approach and the value holds its own in today's competitive pre-workout market. I have no qualms about recommending it if you come across the opportunity to do so and I am curious as to what other products will be coming from the international markets in the near future. One thing is for sure, this was a great first impression in regards to trying international versions, and I feel the best is yet to come.