nickyfondz

• Was an active member for 11 months, but hasn't been online since October, 2014
  • Moderate community participation

Reviews by nickyfondz

July 29, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Terrible Crash
    Upon getting to the end of the container of Rhino Revolution, I began to feel terrible after workouts. I felt as if my heart was beating out of my chest and almost as if I was coming down from drugs (don't know what that's like first-hand). I also had a friend that had the same experience without me saying anything to him.

Price: 6/10
    Rhino Revolution was just about $40 for 46 servings. It's a very good deal if you break it down price per serving.

Price: 6/10

Mixability: 7/10
    Rhino mixed decently as you would normally expect from a pre-workout. It wasn't perfect, but as far as pre-workouts go it was okay. No problems here

Taste: 5/10
    I had the fruit punch flavor. I know it's pretty hard to mess up fruit punch, but it really wasn't very good. It was tolerable, but definitely had a chemical aftertaste to it that I didn't really enjoy.

Energy: 6/10
    I never really went past one scoop with Rhino. When I first started using it, I didn't feel anything during my workout. I couldn't even tell that I had taken a PWO. After the fourth (or so) time, I started to feel pretty good while working out. I had a decent amount of energy, but nothing through the roof.

Ingredient profile: 4/10
    It has arginine AKG, beta alinine, and Creatine Magnapower (Magnesium Creatine Chelate). Although these are decent ingredients for a PWO, they are dosed at 4g for the blend. Not sure about the type of creatine, but 2-3g would be perfect with around 2g beta alinine. Arginine AKG should be anywhere from 1g-3g. This blend seems a little under dosed. The Energy portion of the PWO is made up of Caffeine (375mg) and 1,3 dimethylamylamine. The caffeine is just a tad high and the 1,3 (which I usually like) is a good addition.

In my opinion, this is basically a stimulant heavy PWO with minimal other benefits. You have probably never heard of it and this is exactly why.

July 4, 2014

• Bcaas
    • Ok Mixability
    • Underdosed
    I actually originally purchased this product because it was close to the top of the list of SR.com. Given it did not have a ton of reviews, I still wanted to give it a shot.

Price: 5/10
    I paid $38.99 for a 50 serving container. This is the only size container I have seen. The reason for the low rating is the need to take two scoops per workout. I may have a slightly higher than normal tolerance when it comes to stimulants, but nothing ridiculous. Almost $40 for a 25 serving container isn't great for an average pre workout.

Mixability: 4/10
    Most of the pre workout mixes fairly well. It d...

Price: 5/10

Mixability: 4/10
    Most of the pre workout mixes fairly well. It does have a slightly grainy taste to it as you are drinking it, but it is nothing terrible. There is usually some remaining at the bottom when I'm done drinking, which I don't think there should.

Taste: 9.5/10
    I have the lemon lime flavor. It tasted pretty much just like it should. Again, it was a little grainy, but it still had a decent flavor.

Energy: 7/10
    The energy was the best part of this pre workout. It was pretty high throughout the entire workout. It wasn't a crazy strong pre workout, but the energy was there and you could definitely tell.

Ingredient profile: 7/10
    Here's the fun part! There are parts of this that I like, but also parts that I don't like. 16 grams of carbs is the first thing that pops out at me. That's 64 calories. It might not bother anyone, but the extra calories are not always needed. It does have arginine malate, which is an NO booster that is supposedly superior to AAKG. 450mg of caffeine (2 servings) will definitely wake most people up and get them ready for the gym. It is a ton of caffeine, but I never felt like it was too strong (again, little stim tolerant). 2g creatine monohydrate (2 servings). Monohydrate is the most proven creatine and the one that is used in most studies. Some says HCl is better, but there is not as much information on it. Beta-alinine, something you will (should) find in most pre workouts. 1500mg (2 servings) seems about right. 2500mg of BCAA (2 servings). I think it's awesome that the pre workout has BCAAs, but it may be a little under dosed if you aren't supplementing with other BCAAs. The ingredient profile is very good, but it is a little under dosed at one scoop. 2 servings will get you the right numbers.

Value was decent, but not great. It was a little pricey for 25 servings (50 scoops). If you are not stim tolerant, this would probably be a very good pre workout for you. Still has 200mg of caffeine per scoop and has many extras.

Overall: 6.5/10
    This was a pretty good pre workout. I would probably not buy it again because I have found a better one, but I would recommend it to most gym goers. If you are stim tolerant, just know that it will take two scoops.

March 27, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Taste Awesome
    • Very Under Dosed
    Price: 7/10
    $26 for 30 servings is probably a little lower than the average price for a pre workout. I went with two scoops per workout, but even that is not a terrible price. I'm somewhat used to paying a high price for PWOs, but this one was not terrible in comparison.

Mixability: 8/10
    There were no problems with mixability. You may get the occasional granule sitting at the bottom after you finish drinking it, but there was nothing that would bother anyone.

Taste: 9.5/10
    I had the "Mango Unchained" flavor. This is one of the best tasting flavors I've ever had. It really does taste like mango. It may be a little bit strong for some, but that's nothing that a little water can't fix. I also like that the flavor was different from the basic flavors that most other companies produce.

Energy: 7/10
    With two scoops per workout, I had a pretty good amount of energy. It was nothing ridiculous that I felt jittery, but it was still strong enough. I do tend to be stim tolerant so that may have had an effect, but I still thought this was pretty good.

ORIGINAL RAGE
    From what I've heard, the original Animal Rage compares to about two scoops of the new Animal Rage XL formula.

Ingredient profile: 6/10
    When looking at the container, you'll notice that basically everything is a proprietary blend. This is one thing that Universal could fix. With that being said it does have good ingredients such as: creatine, beta alinine, citruline malate, l-tyrosine, and caffeine. I do believe that it is probably underdosed for most of the ingredients being that a serving is only 4.82grams. 2g of creatine and 2g beta alinine would be much better. But I'm almost sure it doesn't have that.

Taking two scoops takes away from the value a little. It is still a good PWO and I don't mind paying for it, but it would be much better if they made a 60 serving container and lowered the price just a little. $45 for 60 servings would look much better to me.

Overall: 6.5/10
    I think this is an above average PWO. It is not one that is crazy stim heavy, but you will have a good amount of energy. There are other PWOs that I would take before this, but for an everyday pre it gets the job done.

February 2, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Quick Energy
    • Discloses All Ingredients & Amounts Per Serving
    • Needs More Flavor Varieties
    • No Pump
    • Built A Tolerance
    Price: 8/10
    $28 for 45 servings is about the average for most everyday pre-workouts. I call it an everyday pre-workout because it is something with a lot of servings and a good price. It is not the type of PWO you would want to take when you are going for a PR, but day-in and day-out it will get the job done. Two scoops will usually gets the job done. So figure around $1 per workout. Still not a terrible price.

Mixability: 9/10

Mixability: 9/10
    No problems with mixability. Nowadays, I believe just about everything should be able to mix almost perfectly. Supplements have been out for years and most companies are able to produce them well enough. There's no reason to have grit at the bottom anymore. This one does not.

Taste: 5/10
    I had the fruit punch flavor. It was decent. I love having a PWO with a great taste. I feel like it's such a mental advantage when you are excited to take/taste your PWO. I never got excited to taste this one, but it wasn't hard to drink either. Very average.

Energy: 6/10
    I went with two scoops per workout with this. As an everyday PWO, it is good for everyone. If you are stim-sensitive, this is perfect. If you are not, take two scoops. Energy levels were definitely higher than without a PWO, but they were not through the roof. As I said, you will probably not be breaking any PRs, but it does give a decent amount of energy.

Ingredient profile: 4/10
    One thing I do like is the fact that everything on the label is written out with dose sizes. 1g of beta-alinine is decent, but with two scoops it is perfect. Creatine HCl has 1g as well, which is much better at two scoops. Caffeine is 120mg per scoops, 240mg is much better. Not a big fan of yohimbe either. I can just feel my blood pressure rise whenever I have it. The low dose doesn't really have an effect in neurocore. Overall, it's somewhat of a weak ingredient profile.

If you're stim-sensitive and taking one scoop per workout, then this is a great value. Most people will probably need two scoops, which then makes this just an average value. It's okay, but nothing great. If the PWO were a little more effective I would give it a better value.

Overall: 6.5/10
    It's a decent PWO for the everyday person. If you are a hardcore powerlifting/bodybuilder, then this is not for you. It is a good PWO for someone that is just starting to try them. No heavy stims or huge ingredient profile.

I would only recommend this for the everyday gym-goer or someone that is new to pre-workouts.

January 4, 2014

• Increased Focus
    • Superman Feeling
    • Only Need One Scoop
    • Great Endurance
    • Weird Feeling Post Workout
    This product has been reviewed a ton of times, I know that. I just couldn't resist after finishing it up. I purchased it off of eBay for around $40, which is the best price I could find. You really can't find it too many other places since it is discontinued.

Price: 8/10
    $40 is a decent price being that it is discontinued and you really can't find it anywhere anymore. When supply is down, price is up. You can still find it, but there are not many left.

Mixability: 6/10

Mixability: 6/10
    Didn't have any problems with mixing it. It mixed pretty decently, but you need a little extra water after you finish it to make sure you get EVERYTHING.

Taste: 7/10
    I love good tasting PWOs. This one was decent, but definitely not something I was excited about drinking. I had the cherry limeade flavor and it tasted different than many other cherry limeade products, but still not bad. The smell is pretty bad when you open the container, but it doesn't taste like that so don't worry.

Energy: 10/10
    The energy on this stuff is unreal. You'll get a great workout in every time you take it. You have a fairly clean energy that will last your entire workout and then some. This is probably Marinade's best and most important quality. You may notice some crash a few hours later due to the 1,3 dimethylamylamine. You may also notice a weird feeling after taking it. Not sure if it is the 1,3 crash or if it is something else. Not necessarily bad, but a little odd the first time you take it.

Ingredient profile: 9/10
    The ingredient profile is top notch. Some may say that it is a kitchen sink PWO, but it does have the ingredients that are necessary in PWOs. 6 grams of creatine is more than enough even if you aren't taking another creatine supplement. It has betanine and beta alinine, which are both important. BCAA complex is present, which not all PWOs have. You will notice that is had "1.3.7-trimethylxanthine." This is simply caffeine. It also has "2-Amino-4-methylhexane," which is 1,3 dimethylamylamine. These two are present for a combined 380mg. Most believe that it is split 300mg caffeine and 80mg 1,3 but there is no real proof. The rest of the ingredients are for electrolytes and vitamins, which are good but maybe not needed in a PWO. 1,3 dimethylamylamine or "2-Amino-4-methylhexane" is under investigation by the FDA. They believe it to be a drug-like product, but I just think it makes for a good PWO :)

Yes, the price is high. $40 for 27 servings isn't a great price, but it is also not a terrible price. When you take into account that this product isn't being made anymore and how good it works, I think this is a great price. The benefit of the product simply drives the value regardless of price.

I would definitely recommend Muscle Marinade. It is the single best PWO that I have ever used. I wish you luck in finding it, but if you do you will love it. Great product. RIP.

Brb, going to buy more!

November 19, 2013

• Effective
    • Good Company
    • Spicy
    • Questionable Taste
    • No Creatine
    To begin, I believe that ON is a great company. I have been taking their whey protein for years and have no reason to changes companies. Not completely sure how I feel about this.

Price: 7/10
    You will usually find this for around $40 for 30 servings. I'm sure you can find it a little cheaper, but at most places this is the average. It is a decent price, but not the best on the market. Probably somewhere around the middle-of-the-road. Average priced.

Mixability: 4/10
    The actual powder in ON PRE mixed fine. The only problem that I had with this was the Capsimax. It definitely didn't mix in the bottom and left a grainy taste to the end of the drink. Not enjoyable at all once you get to the bottom.

Taste: 5/10
    This is going to be a weird taste review. The actual flavor "Superfruit" was great. It's a different flavor that you don't see too often. The only problem came when the Capsimax was left over. The Capsimax would often give off a spicy flavor. If you even dared to pop one of the tiny capsules on your tongue, have fun. Your mouth will be on fire for most of your workout.

Energy: 7/10
    Once you got passed the taste, the energy took over. It was a decently strong, clean energy. It is probably around the same as the average PWO if not a little better. It did the job, but not as well as the top of the line PWOs.

Ingredient profile: 7/10
    Caffeine is at 200mg. This is a decent amount. The only problem comes if you want more than one scoop. 200mg is not too much, but 400mg would be. If 200mg isn't enough, I would recommend taking only a scoop and a half. PRE has beta-alinine which is a plus, but there is no creatine. I like creatine in my PWO because I don't supplement with it otherwise. The Capsimax is the worst part of this PWO. I personally hated it. Form your own opinions, but I didn't like it. Maybe you aren't supposed to pop the Capsimax capsules, but it's somewhat inevitable. Too spicy for my liking.

You never really need to go above one scoop, so value is solid. It is decently price and gives off a good amount of energy.

I would say that ON PRE is a slightly above-average PWO. It has a very small ingredient profile, but produces decent energy. The Capsimax just stops me from giving this a better overall review. Taste is one of the things I enjoy in a PWO and this doesn't do it for me.

November 16, 2013

• Great Endurance
    • Weak Energy
    • Not Enough Pump
    This pre-workout is one of the better known ones. Muscle Pharm is a well-known company. It is usually comparable to C4, Jack3d, and a few others.

Price: 8/10
    It is usually around $1 per serving. There are different size bottles and the more servings you get the less you pay per serving. Fairly inexpensive PWO. Can't really complain about the price too much.

Mixability: 8/10
    It mixed fairly well. There was no grainy taste at the bottom or anything left over. I will say that the scoops are huge though. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's a lot of powder.

The ...

Taste: 7/10
    The taste was pretty decent. I had the Blue Raspberry. It tasted like what one would expect from a Blue Raspberry PWO. Nothing excitingly tasty, but enjoyable.

Energy: 6/10
    This is where it lost me. The energy didn't really do it for me. It was a clean increase in energy, but the energy was only slight. I guess you could say it got me off the couch to go, but didn't give me the powerful energy that most are looking for. It felt like it was missing something. I felt the energy from the caffeine, but didn't feel a strength or focus increase. It was almost if I had drank a cup of coffee and nothing else. I could somehow tell that I was getting the energy primarily from caffeine.

Ingredient profile: 7/10
    Caffeine is listed at 150mg, which is slightly above average for one scoop of a PWO. It does have a good amount of B vitamins, vitamin C, and calcium, which I think is a plus. It does have creatine, which I also like. Beta-alinine is listed in 'ATP Amplifier' and is another well-liked ingredient.

The value is pretty good. You can probably get away with using one scoop, especially if you aren't stim-tolerant. At $1 per scoop it is pretty good.

Overall: 6.5/10
    This is another average, middle-of-the-road, pre-workout. There is nothing overly great about it. I may recommend it to someone that is just getting into PWOs, but for the advanced stim junkie I would stay away.

November 14, 2013

• Mixes Easy
    • Not A Big Pump
    • Loose Focus
    • Blend
    • Yohimbe
    This pre-workout has been out for quite a while. It has changed formulas 3 (or 4 counting micro) times. While I think everyone agrees that the original was the best, this one is definitely an upgrade from the "University Studied" second one.

Price: 10/10
    $26 for 45 servings is a ridiculous price. It is closer to $30 in most places that you look, but I got a decent deal (impressive for GNC).

Mixability: 10/10
    This product mixed perfectly. You literally couldn't even tell that it originated as a powder. USP Labs hasn't had a problem with mixability.

Taste: 6/10
    I had the fruit ...

Price: 10/10

Mixability: 10/10

Taste: 6/10
    I had the fruit punch flavor. It was the only flavor left at the store and I figured fruit punch is usually a safe bet. The only problem is that the flavor was way too overpowering. It was one of the strongest flavored PWOs that I've tried. Of course, this could be prevented by adding more water, but who wants to drink a gallon of PWO before a workout? It was tolerable, but not great.

Energy: 7/10
    Definitely need two scoops for most of the PWO users. Not a very strong PWO. 100mg of caffeine per scoop. It says you could take up to 3, but 2 will probably suffice for most.

Ingredient profile: 7/10
    Caffeine is listed at 100mg, which could be higher. The rest of the ingredients are listed as a proprietary blend of 3,580mg. It contained beta-alinine, creatine monohydrate and anhydrous, and yohimbe. I was not a fan of the yohimbe. I always felt as though my heart was beating through my chest during cardio. it was not because of the caffeine because 200mg is not ridiculous. Yohimbe is known to raise blood pressure so I believe that is what did it.

Although the price is very inexpensive, the value isn't as good. For me, it took two scoops per workout. This makes the price go up. Even at 2 scoops per serving, it is still not a bad deal, but not great for what you are getting.

Overall: 6.5/10
    It is a pretty average PWO. Nothing ridiculously great. it definitely doesn't compare to the original Jack3d with the 1,3. It is somewhere between the second "University Studied" formula and the 1,3 OG formula. For the price it is decent, but you get what you pay for.

Hope this review is better than the first couple, as I am still a newbie!

November 12, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Small Serving Size
    • No Upset Stomach
    • No Crash
    • Crazy Energy
    • Dry Mouth
    • Awkward Aftertaste
    • Need 2 Scoops
    I just began posting reviews on SR, but I am hoping to give some good information. I have taken Jack3d (all 3), C4 (both), ON PRE, Assault, Pre Jym and many others like this.

This product lasted me about a month. This was due to me taking 2 scoops per workout. I used it about 4 times per week. I tried 1 scoop and 1.5 scoops prior and was not happy with it. This review will be based on 2 scoops of Craze. This is the most the container says that you should take.

At the time, I was mid-way through my cut. I was in a calorie deficit and needed something to give me that extra energy. The first workout I tried while taking Craze was the deadlift. Here's how the product was throughout the rest of my cut.

Price/Value: 7/10"¨"¨
    This product is just around $40 per 45 serving container. This seems like a very good price, but taking 2 scoops per workout changes that. This leads it to being $40 per 22.5 serving container. This price is not ridiculous if it were an absolutely great product. Being a slightly above average product, the price was a little much for me.

Mixability: 7/10
    It mixed pretty well, but not perfectly. I was left with a small amount of residue on the bottom. There were no chunks, but definitely not a perfectly clean mix. Nothing to really worry about with this.
    "¨"¨
    Taste: 5/10
    "¨I had the grape flavor. It almost tasted like cough medicine. Again, not a terrible taste, but not the best one I've ever had. If you are taking it for the effects, then taste isn't an issue anyway. I like to enjoy my PWO while I'm drinking it, which is why this category may be a little low."¨"¨

Energy: 8/10
    "¨Two scoops is equivalent to about 160-170mg of caffeine. Not a ridiculous amount for a PWO, but pretty average. Energy was pretty high and very clean throughout the entire workout. No crash at the end. I would say that this is definitely the best part of this PWO. It does what it is made to do."¨"¨ I am used to taking a lot of caffeine, so this category may be higher for someone that is caffeine sensitive.

Overall: 7/10"¨
    This product gets the job done. It's simple. It does not have the frills of being a great tasting PWO or being ridiculously inexpensive, but it does work. I was expecting more because of some of the stellar reviews that I had read about this product.

One thing that I did not notice with this product was the "Insane Focus" that many people described. I did not feel anything different from the regular/average PWO. Many people have told me they did, but based on my personal experiences there was nothing special. I did not feel any negative side effects from this product. With a little more caffeine, I believe this product has the potential to be much higher up on my list.

November 11, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • No Proprietary Blend
    • Reputable
      I discovered SR from a friend of mine that has used the site before. He has always told me about reviews that he has read on here.

I wanted to write this review because it is the first pre-workout to really spike my interest again. I have taken many before and will post about other, but this was a good place to start. I have taken Craze, Jack3d (all 3 blends), C4 (both blends), Assault, ON PRE, and others that I can't think of at this moment. This product lasted me for about a month. I was able to workout much more intensely while finishing up my cut.

Price 9/10:
      $40 per container ...

Price 9/10:
      $40 per container with 20 servings. It sounds like a bad deal, but the product itself makes it worth it. Definitely worth a try.

Mixability 10/10:
      No problems here. It mixed perfectly and didn't leave over any residue on the bottom.

Taste: 10/10:
      Probably my favorite tasting pre-workout I've ever taken. I had the raspberry lemonade and I always found myself excited to drink it before my workouts.

Energy 10/10:
      300mg caffeine did the trick for me. It was not ridiculously high, but definitely the right amount. There are some pre-workouts with more and some with less. Energy was great throughout the entire workout and for some time after.

Will I use it again? Yes. I actually just purchased another container today. Cherry Limeade this time. Can't wait! Definitely recommend!