markp

• Member has been active for 7 years, and was last online 2 years ago

Reviews by markp

November 19, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Complete Source Of Vitamins And Minerals
  • Great Value
  • One Pill Is Enough For The Whole Day
  • Passes Nearly All Requirements For A Multi Vitamin
    I've been using these for roughly a year and a half now and the only other vitamin I've tried was animal pak. MMAFreak posted a really solid article for choosing a multi vitamin so I'll use that as the basis for this review. It specified what to look for when considering a multi vitamin. These are the criteria (copy and paste) Progressive Men's passed for:

1) The bottle has an expiration date printed on it.

2) The bottle is opaque in color. Light can damage some vitamins.

3) All 'B-Vitamins' meet or exceed the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowances) levels.

4) All vitamins and minera...

1) The bottle has an expiration date printed on it.

2) The bottle is opaque in color. Light can damage some vitamins.

4) All vitamins and minerals are listed in their exact chemical form. For example: 'd-alpha-tocopherol,' not just 'vitamin E' and calcium citrate, not just 'calcium'.

5) The supplements are in capsule form, not tablets.

6) Multi-vitamins do not contain sugars, preservatives, coloring agents, wheat products, lactose, etc.

7) Vitamin E is present in its natural form, 'd-alpha-tocopherol,' not its sythetic form, 'dl-alpha-tocopherol'. Look for the little "l", which means 'leave on the shelf!'

8) Vitamin D is present as 'Cholecalciferol,' not 'Ergocalciferol'.

9) Calcium is chelated (see Resources) as calcium citrate, calcium lactate or other chelated forms

10) Magnesium, Zinc and other minerals are chelated (magnesium citrate, glycinate, gluconate, etc.) and NOT in an unabsorbable oxide form (magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, etc.).

11) The supplement is complete with all 13 vitamins (See Step 2), these macrominerals (calcium, magnesium and potassium) and these microminerals (zinc, selenium, chromium, manganese and molybdenum)

Of course you'll never find a perfect multi vitamin that meets all the criteria. Progressive didn't meet the following requirements:

-only has 133% of my vitamin c, not 200-500%
    -missing copper, boron and vanadium
    -contains calcium carbonate, which it is recommended not to have

The Bottle recommends taking 3 per day, but it met these standards based on the ingredient profile of just one pill. I take vitamin c as well because 1 pill lacks it a bit, but buying vitamin C separately is most cost effective than taking another multi vitamin pill per day.

The value of this product is amazing. 120 servings for roughly $30 is a win in my books.

A lot of people say that increased energy comes with multi vitamins which I guess is true to an extent. I feel a little more lively when I take a progressive vitamin but nothing noteworthy. I'm still giving this a 10/10 for effectiveness because I think it's really a psychological thing to have increased energy from a vitamin. I plan on using these vitamins for a very long time.

September 25, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Contains Beta Alanine
    • Strength Gains
    • No Bad Side Effects
    • Solid Product Overall
    This is the second creatine product I've ever tried (but have tried cell mass, kre-alkalyn and monohydrate as well). Creatine Freak is a lesser-known product but it is very high quality. It is one of the few creatine-hydrochloride's out there. For those who don't know, this is allegedly the most potent form of creatine on the market today.

Creatine Freak worked really well for me. It was 3 easy-to-swallow pills 30 mins preworkout. I can honestly say I saw immediate strength gains as well as more endurance in the gym. I do kinda prefer monohydrate because of its cheap price but in terms of straight effectiveness, it works great. It contains 1500 mg of creatine HCl and 750 mg of Beta Alanine per serving. I really liked that they put the Beta Alanine in. It was a nice compliment to create a really solid product. They also included Geranium and Oleuropein Aglycone but to be honest I'm not sure what they're for, I didn't buy this product for them.

Taste: N/A (capsules)

I got a 30 day supply for $60 but I think the best you could find it for would be $40 for a month which is still a little steep. To be honest it was a phenomenal product but considering the price, it wasn't so much. If you're looking for a top of the line product and can put out the money to afford Creatine Freak then I would absolutely recommend it to you. If you're looking for a cheap and effective way to improve your results in the gym, just go for monohydrate.

Other info:
    -I increased the majority of my lifts by 5-10 pounds while using Creatine Freak for a month which is faster than normal.
    -I gained 5 pounds while stacking this and QuickMass together (as well as the staples). Obviously I can't give credit to the creatine freak but I did find it helpful on a bulk
    -I saw no side effects in terms of water retention or upset stomachs so there may be some credit to the typical claims they put on their box

September 21, 2011

• Results!
    • Works Consistently
    To organize this I'll go into 3 main categories: Effects, Taste/mixability and Value.
    I've been a huge fan of AllMax lately, and this product is what got me sold on them.
    Effects: 10/10
    Effects: 10/10
    This is the first supplement I've ever tried that I can honestly say deserves a 10/10 for effectiveness. I took one serving/day every day for 18 days (the 3 times I've taken QuickMass) and split it into two 2-scoop servings. I can always count on gaining 4-8 pounds on QuickMass. Of course I was eating my regular food as well. I found the best way to gain weight (as an ecto-mesomorph) was to eat a whole meal and then when I was full I'd have 2 scoops of QuickMass in milk.
    Taste/Mixability: 8.5/10
    The stuff tastes great and mixes well. Its a little thick but 2 scoops in about 12 ounces of milk works just fine. Sometimes it clumps just a bit, but even then it still tastes good. I've tried Ultimate Nutrition Iso MASS and its taste and mixability were horrid. I couldn't even finish my container of it. But quick MASS I love (I've had chocolate twice and cookies and cream once). Both flavours I thoroughly enjoyed.
    Well it has 60g protein, 14g fat and 161g carbs for a total of 1010 calories per serving. Not to mention its loaded with Amino Acids. The price is pretty steep ($3.50 per serving) but when you consider the price of food it's not that bad. If it weren't for the price this product would have 10's across the board from me

September 19, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Good
    • Easy To Drink
    • Speeds Up Recovery
    • Great Substitute For Stim Based Pre Workout Supplements When Cycling Off
    • Helps Recovery Between Sets
    • Stupid Dosage Recommendations
    I gave Recoup a try based on MMAfreaks reviews. Too make things brief, I'll address the main high and low points of this product:
    Highs:
    -grape flavour was refreshing. Not too bitter or sweet (I can't drink sweet drinks near my workouts)
    -definitely helps with recovery. I even felt a difference between sets"”I always felt fresh, especially on chest days. I found my shoulders to be less sore and less hindering to my incline presses on Recoup.
    -Excellent ingredient profile including BCAAs, glutamine and citrulline
    -It's very simple, has almost everything you need in an intra-workout supp...
    Highs:
    -Excellent ingredient profile including BCAAs, glutamine and citrulline
    -It's very simple, has almost everything you need in an intra-workout supplement yet has few extras besides flavouring

The few lows (I'm digging deep to come up with these):
    -It advises a ludicrous dosage. I mean, 2 scoops per workout is plenty. At my weight, it recommends 6 scoops(at 200lbs) per workout. That's overkill IMO.
    -well actually the recommended dose was my only con

I really liked to mix 2 scoops of Recoup with Beta Alanine and creatine monohydrate preworkout and saw great results from this. It was very easy on the stomach and definitely a worthy buy if you have the extra money.

July 10, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Nice Pump
    • Amazing Taste
    • Great Endurance
    • Ingredients
    • Weak Energy
    • Had Me Running To The Restrooms
    • Huge Proprietary Blend
    Its been a while since I've written a review and have been meaning to review Assault for a long while. Just to be clear, I had the old formula (as shown in the picture) and I understand they've come out with a new version. I've never had so many mixed feelings about a product as I have with Assault and its one of the strangest PWOs I've ever tried. So without further adieu, we have my review:
    Taste: 10/10
    I'll start with taste because its the first thing that comes to mind with this product. I know taste shouldn't matter but damn this stuff tastes like cool aid. I would actually sit down and drink it casually if it wasn't so damn expensive.
    Effects: 7/10
    I think I may be a non-responder to a lot of preworkouts. But here's the rundown. Assault gave me some great pumps some days, but others I didn't feel it much at all. I definitely had more endurance to get through my workout but little energy (its low stim anyway so no surprises there). I did find I had to go to the bathroom before a workout but once that was out of the way, I was good to go. I did also like that you don't have to take this on an empty stomach. This was a huge plus for me.
    Plain and simple this stuff did work decently so it doesn't completely fail in terms of value. I know you can get it pretty cheap, but my only option was GNC (in Canada so the price was even worse). It ended up costing me $80 with a gold card.
    Ingredient profile: 7/10
    Well it's a mix of just about everything needed to make a good preworkout. It contains b vitamins, Beta Alanine, citruline malate, an arginine blend, suma root, glutamine, CEE, and kre-alkalyn to name those that appealed to me. The main problem I had was that its just one giant proprietary blend. It's literally 40g of "pixie dust". I wouldn't normally mind, since it works, its just hard to balance that and my creatine supplementation which I found to be a big nuissance.
    As a quick summary, the stuff tastes amazing, gives a good pump and pretty good endurance (when it works), unfortunately it has the biggest proprietary blend on a product I've ever bought, and it can be really costly. So I'd be hesitant to recommend it to just anyone, but if you can get it cheap and tend to respond to preworkouts it should be a good product. I'd definitely like to give the new formula a try if I had the money to afford it.

January 2, 2011

• Tastes Great Compared To Other Caseins
    • Less Soreness
    • Helps Prevent Hunger During Sleep
    • Good All Around
    • Good Mixability
    • More Expensive Than Whey But Understandably.
    • Probably Not A Staple Supplement
    Alright, first things first. This is the first casein product I've taken, and also the only that I've finished a full tub of.
    Taste: 9/10
    Well I feel dumb admitting this, but I picked up vanilla off the rack when I actually wanted to try chocolate. Nonetheless I was impressed. It reminded me a bit of vanilla pudding, and was pleasantly surprised based on some vanilla flavored whey proteins I've had in the past. I've sampled other casein products, and none of them compare to ON in terms of taste.
    Taste: 9/10
    Results: 8/10
    In all fairness, there's only so much in terms of results that a sustained-release protein will give. I was pleased that I wasn't too hungry when I woke up in the morning. I definitely wanted to eat, but absolutely no stomach pain while taking casein. Also I did notice faster recovery after my work outs, but I can't attribute all of this to the casein because I started taking Recoup at the same time.
    The day I bought this, I dropped about $200 on supplements and I don't even remember how much I paid for it. I know you can get it at bb.com for 25.99 for 2lbs, which is less than $1/serving. Its a great price for the product, but I'm not entirely convinced its worth spending every month.
    Overall: 8.3/10
    I can't say I have any complaints with ON casein whatsoever. I'm happy that I tried out a tub to see what it does, and how well it works, but I can't say I'd recommend it to others. If its within your budget than by all means go for it, but otherwise I'd say just go for some almonds or walnuts and cottage cheese before bed. Hope this is helpful guys!

October 9, 2010

• Mixes Great.
    • Extremely Good Value
    • Great Bcaa Profile
    • Tastes Great
    • Nothing At All
    Let me start off by saying that I haven't completed a full container of many other whey powders so I don't have a ton to compare the effectiveness to. I've tried samples of a lot of different whey powders though so I know what's good in terms of taste and value.
    Taste: 9.5/10
    Taste: 9.5/10
    I've tried both the chocolate and the cafe mocha flavors and they are both amazing (especially if mixed with milk), but still taste great mixed with water. In comparison to whey sensations and IsoFlex I'd say Elite is far superior. Although taste should never be the most important factor in buying supplements, it doesn't hurt when your protein is more of a treat than a burden.
    Results: 9/10
    Again, I haven't finished whole containers of many other brands but my results have definitely been good with this product. Recovery is about as good as it gets when it comes to strictly protein powders (as opposed to BCAAs and other amino acids). Let's be honest, with any protein powder you're not gonna become ronnie coleman overnight, but as a staple for overall health and muscle growth, Elite has worked great for me. Also it has a great amino acid profile compared to other powders I've seen.
    This stuff is exceptionally inexpensive and it works as well as you could hope a protein powder to. There's really nothing I can complain about so I'm giving it 10/10
    This product overall has everything I need in a protein powder; effectiveness, mixibility, a good amino acid profile, it's inexpensive and it tastes great to boot. It has been one of the first full containers of protein I've tried, and I don't plan on changing any time soon.

September 20, 2010

• Quick Recovery
    • Aids Recovery
    • Slightly Expensive
    Just finished my tub of cell mass today, and was overall pretty satisfied with this product. Before you read my review though, you should know that this is the first creatine product that I've taken, so bare in mind that I have nothing to compare it to. Also, I followed the directions on when to take it as well as I could, but i did forget to take my serving on multiple occasions.
    Taste: 10/10
    I had Arctic Berry, and the taste is phenomenal. In fact, when I first bought the tub, i would look forward to working out more just to drink some cell mass at the end.
    After a week ...
    Results: 8/10
    After a week or two in, I was a little disappointed with the results I was seeing. To be honest, I wasn't sure it was working at all. But the past week and a half to two weeks, I started noticing significant gains and my self-esteem was even rising because of it. I just hope I don't lose them like some people have reported. It also reduced my recovery times dramatically.
    As for value, it's a little pricey, especially when compared to other creatine products, but that's BSN for you. I can't really complain though, it works and didn't leave too big a dent in my wallet.
    I found this product great overall, and don't regret buying it whatsoever. I'm not really a fan of BSN, but they have started to win me over. I would definitely buy this again.

August 10, 2010

• Anger
    • Must Be Taken On Empty Stomach
    • Body Becomes Tolerant
    • Too Much Energy
    I know no one likes reading a novel in a review so I'll get straight to my point.
    Pros:
    -Amazing energy/endurance
    -Fast improvements in the gym
    -Decent effects in terms of visible results
    -Lots of anger

Cons:
    -Tastes HORRIBLE (I've tried both blue raspberry and lemon lime and neither do it for me)
    -Lots of anger (I put this in both pros and cons because the anger can be translated into a better workout but makes the workout less enjoyable)
    -Have to take it on an empty stomach
    -Too much energy
    Pros:
    -Amazing energy/endurance
    -Fast improvements in the gym
    -Decent effects in terms of visible results
    -Lots of anger

-Have to take it on an empty stomach
    -Too much energy
    -You can't take it every day or your body becomes accustomed to it (also the first few times are considerably better than the proCEEding)
    -Bad Crash

I'm planning on switching to MP Assault because it tastes better, gives me just as much endurance without the bad side effects, and you can take it on a full stomach. If you can tolerate the negative side effects then this product will work great for you, but in my opinion this is not meant for a novice lifter. I guess I rambled a lot more than I wanted to, sorry for that.