livetoday823

• Reputation is somewhat low. (+40)
  • Was an active member for 2 years, but hasn't been online since February, 2016
  • Moderate community participation

Reviews by livetoday823

September 3, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Thermogenesis
  • Sweating
I started my cutting program way late this year but have seen a drop of 3% in bodyfat (I use an hand held Omron) since June 10th. I took two thermos to compare, Hydroxycut & Grenade. I'll review Grenade's next week.

As with any thermogenic, they recommend you drink more H20 than usual. The irony that I could never get past was that you would be putting on water weight, giving rookie cutters the impression that nothing was happening. That certainly happen to me back when I first started using supplements (that and over-dosing to the point of jitters). I learn to measure bodyfat as a more true value of weight loss.

I moderate my carb intake during cutting but never go a real low carb route. I try to keep it under 100 grams daily. Now on to Hydroxy Hardcore Elite. Pretty straightforward thermogenic with popular weight loss ingredients.

Ingredients: 7/10
Caffeine at a higher end of 270mg (don't take it with your morning Starbucks), Green coffee extract, Yohimbe, L-Theanine and Coleus extract. They took out bitter orange from an earlier formulation. Nothing fancy here, just mainstream ingredients.

I did get the damn shakes from this if I opted for my serving in the morning with my Starbucks. I generally eat a really light breakfast of half serving of oatmeal or a pure protein/quest bar. Also noticed increased sweating, which means it's doing its job.

I bought it off bodybuilding.com, the 100 count caps. Now they recommend 2 caps per serving, so a bottle lasts you 50 days if you do one dosage. When you're doing hardcore cutting, up it to 2 doses a day 3 days out of the week. $26 for just over a month supply? Not great, not bad either.

Overall, you can't go wrong with Hydroxycut, I bet Muscletech sells tens of millions worth of this stuff every year.

June 13, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective
  • Good Focus
  • Wakes You Up
  • Holy Tingles Batman
  • Wish More Pumps
Not sure if Top Secret ran different versions of their pump igniter, as I got my tub in the clearance section of a local supplement store that had "discontinued products" as the header. Obviously, Pump igniter is NOT discontinued...

I think this is a decent product from Top Secret, I have had the chance to sample a lot of their stuff but never bought a month supply of anything until I came across the Pump Igniter for $19.99. I ran a quick search on my phone and price was much lower than even bodybuilding.com

On to review:

Ingredients: 9/10. We have roughly 6 grams per serving of active i...

On to review:

Ingredients: 9/10. We have roughly 6 grams per serving of active ingredients. You have the requisite Agmatine Sulfate, Carnosyn and so on. I'm not sure if Pump Igniter is suppose to go with another PWO? It's relatively light on the "pump" ingredients, only 3521mg of nitric oxide producing stuff. However, you do get 2485mg of mood/stims, which is a TON. 300mg of caffeine might be just a touch on the heavy side for some users, but for experienced bodybuilders, Also Pump Igniter is the only product that I'm aware of that has both bioperine and astragin in it, so they're covering their bases on bioavailability

Effectiveness 7/10. I definitely got the neuro rush I was expecting. Felt a good tingle, heart rate was elevated for sure. In fact, if you're a first time user, you might want to go with a smaller dosage just to test it out. However, I felt the vascularity/pump itself could use a slight improvement.

Value 8/10. I would rate this 10/10 for the price I paid but not with the way I'm going to utilize Pump Igniter. I like the stims part and in the future will probably combine Pump Igniter with a non-stim private label PWO for a full maximum rush.

Not the worst PWO on the marketplace, not the best either. It's value is in the mood/stim side of the "ignite". If that's what you're looking for, then by all means pull the trigger on this bad boy.

June 13, 2014

• A Bit Pricey If All You Do Is Lift
I have been taking actigin on and off for the last 2 and half months. I usually will incorporate it on my weekend runs/hikes or for my weekly basketball games with buds on Wednesdays. I already like AstraGin so I was willing to take a leap on ActiGin from Nuliv. (I also paid like $20 bucks for BOTH of the products way back in January hehe)

They market ActiGin as an endurance & recovery supplement. Oddly, I've seen it in other PWO workout supps. According to the brochure I picked up at FitExpo, it's suppose to deliver more glycogen to your muscle tissue while reducing inflammation after a long workout. This review is only for cardio, I haven't really used it for pure strength conditioning.

Composed of panax notoginseng and rosa roxburghii. I had no f'in clue what the latter was and after some googling, realized it's a rose plant and sister plants have been used in England since WW II. (Rose hips).

Ingredients: 8/10. It's made of only two plant extracts, supposedly "highly fractionated" or purified. I'll just trust their science, their logic is probably better than my bro science ha.

Effectiveness: 9.5/10. This is one of the very rare products on the marketplace that actually does what it says. Theoretically, more glycogen delivery=more fuel for cardio. Also I think the antioxidants in the rosa roxburghii help minimize a bunch of inflammation responses by your body. When I take actigin I'm definitely not as sore the next day after a decent run/hike/bike/bball session. I'm in my mid 30's now and believe me, playing full court bball for 2 hours drains you big time. You're sore, all beat up, and just want to reach for a coors lite when you get home. I also never hit the wall so to speak. Like if I HAD to run another mile, or got pestered into running another couple pickup games, I know I could on Actigin.

Value: 10/10. Obviously my price paid will be different than what most others pay. I did a cursory search on their website, I believe it retails for $40 now. I paid $10. I think if you're using this exclusively for weight lifting, it may not be a good option unless you're the hardcore bro that spends 2 hours on a muscle group and needs the extra fuel. But if you're a older guy like me and needs a subtle boost to performance and recovery, it's a great product.

March 27, 2014

• Best Tasting Protein Ever
I know protein is one of those touchy subjects where every single gram of carb, protein, calorie ratio is scrutinized to the last drop. If you're one of those guys, then Ryno Power protein ain't for you.

Hands down, the best tasting protein I have ever had. It's relatively light, the chocolate flavor, taste well, exactly what you hope for a chocolate protein to taste like. It's not super clean that it taste almost fake (like the ISO Pures). Of course for something to taste this good, there has to be added carbs, which Ryno does have, 12 grams. On to the nitty gritty:

Effectiveness: 9...

Effectiveness: 9
A good protein blend should have both fast and slow absorbing proteins and Ryno hits the spot. Makes my life easier not having to mix up my whey/casien individually.

Ingredients: 9

Ryno Power protein has a blend of fast absorbing hydrolized whey and slower absorbing egg white and casien protein. The exact composition: whey protein isolate and concentrate, Whey Peptides, Milk Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, egg white protein isolate

It also packs 34 grams of protein per individual serving, compared to the 22 to 29 gram found in most other proteins. It would have received a 10 if not for the added 12 grams of carbs

Value: Their protein is a little bit on the more expensive side, at $45 on bodybuilding.com. I got mine of course, at a show so I paid $30 cash which is still a pinch more than what I pay for other brands.

Taste: My goodness, try a scoop out yourself, even with plain old water. Best tasting protein powder, EVER. Now clocking at 194 calories, with 34 grams of protein, we know roughly 70 calories are "empty" so that must be where the amazing chocolaty flavor comes from. If you're not hardcore about your carbs, pull the trigger on this, makes drinking multiple shakes a breeze, especially if you don't have milk always present.

March 27, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improves Pwo Performance
  • Improves Amino Absorption
  • Might Be Just Easier To Buy A Pwo With It In It Already. One Less Pill To Take
I have been reading about Astragin more and more and when I got the chance to buy a full size bottle for $10, I had to pull the trigger.

Astragin is suppose to help you increase more amino acids uptake in your bcaa & pwo supps. Theoretically, you absorb more certain amino acids like arginine and citrulline into your body.

I was a bit skeptical so I set up my own two part mini study. I'm currently taking Mr. Hyde as my PWO, GNC mega men as my multi and Ryno Protein blend, among others.

In reality, I HIGHLY doubt I'm getting a 66% bump in bioavailablity from my PWO, which AstraGin claims to do. However, I would be happy with even a slight bump, knowing I'm maximizing my supplement regimen.

The last week of Feb plus the first 4 days of March, I combined AstraGin with my other supps, and followed label directions. I didn't notice a difference until day 7, when I felt a bit more energy and body rush. The same energy and ability to bang out my sets lasted till day 11 when I stopped. I then did 7 days of my supps without Astragin. Sure enough, it wasn't a placebo effect after all. I didn't get a crazy stim/energy/blood flow/vascular boost but did notice a slight uptick in ability and performance.

Ingredients: 9

Made of ginseng and astragalus. I know from another buddy astragalus is like THE shiznit herb in traditional Chinese medicine. I like the face that there's a bunch of research and studies behind the ingredient and not just some herb rebranded by a company

Effectiveness: 8-9
I took the recommended dosage and notice a slight benefit but now I'm wondering if I double or tripled my intake if I would see an even bigger effect. At $10 a bottle, I could afford to do a 15 day run per bottle.

Value: 10
On their website, it's listed at 24.90 but as I recommend always, always, try to buy your supps at consumer shows, you'll always get best pricing if you're paying cash. I paid $20 for an astragin/actigin combo deal they were doing. I do wonder if the dudes working the shows are just slipping the cash into their pockets without informing superiors but that's another thread.

Taste: Comes in a off white clear capsule, no taste.

To recap, and in the crudest language possible, knowing I'm actually absorbing more of my supplements instead of ***ing/crapping it out, for $10, that's a no brainer.

February 7, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Straightforward Pwo
    I realized after buying Training Formula that the brand is actually owned by Vitamin Shoppe, or at least distributed by VS. I like to go off the crazy stims every few weeks just so I don't build massive caffeine tolerance. I'm already ingesting above what is considered healthy range of 400mg daily.

On days I've already hit my 600mg caffeine limit, I'll switch to a non caffeineted PWO. I really like training formula for its simplicity. No junk, nothing special, nothing to make you feel like you can run through a wall. The formula is definitely built for long term sustainable lifting.

...

The scoop is tiny and you're suppose to use 3 scoops. With 3 scoops you get 3 grams of creatine, 3 grams of arginine in AKG form, 1.5 gram beta alanine (carnosyn)and 51 mg of Astragin.

I can already hear the teasing haha, "bro do you even lift". I use to lift hard and had next week or next month in mind. Now I lift with the next 50 years (God willing) in mind. That philosophy changes greatly what you put in your body, how hard you exert yourself (no need to suffer injuries that affect your work life), etc.

Training Formula has the basic fundamentals that everyone can use, whether you're 16 or 60. I love it's simplicity and non stims. Not that I'm an aspiring pro, but it's also NSF certified for sport, so you know it's content has been tested for accuracy and banned substances. You get exactly what's shown on the label, which is another reassuring benefit.

There's practically no taste besides hint of leafy sugar, so I just throw it in with my protein before I hit the gym. It's a great "down cycle" PWO when you just need the basics or are cycling off heavy supps usage to give your poor liver and kidneys a break.

• Effective Test Booster
    • Increased Strength
    • Agmatine+astrign
    • Slightly Expensive
    • Minor Irritability
    When I found out Ronnie, Mr. 8x Olympia was debuting his own series after being with BSN, I knew either it was going to be a total failure (should've stuck with a big established supp company) or he would establish himself on the scene. I've sampled everyone of his products but have only paid for the Testogen. His protein is bombastic but I can't review that according to sr specs ha.

On to Testogen XR. Note about my priorities. How I feel first, ingredients second, value third and taste last. I could care less about taste if the product is working and doesn't cost me a half day's payche...

On to Testogen XR. Note about my priorities. How I feel first, ingredients second, value third and taste last. I could care less about taste if the product is working and doesn't cost me a half day's paycheck.

Effectiveness, 9 out of 10. This is only the 6th test booster I've taken/sampled so I'm a noob in this category. But I know for sure this wasn't a placebo effect. I gained 10 lbs on my 1rm which I previously plateaued. One curious side effect, which again not sure if normal is I was a tiny bit more irritated, almost like how I feel before I get my first cup of coffee in for the day.

Ingredients, 10 out of 10. Solid stuff all around. The drawback with putting branded ingredients in your supps is the higher cost of production, which means higher retail costs for rest of us.

Value, 7 out of 10. I can't believe what this product retails for. I knew Ronnie's stuff would be expensive, c'mon who would expect a budget entry line from the guy, but if you're stacking his Myo-Blitz, Test & Protein at full retail, whew.

Taste, 9 out of 10. As I mentioned earlier, taste is irrelevant to me, but the strawberry lemonade tasted great.

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Profile
    • Quality Ingredients
    • Flavour Can Be Improved
    I talked shop for a long time with these guys at the 2013 Olympia show. Super cool cats, Canadians eh :)

Ingredients: I really wish companies would break down by dosaging their formula. I understand it's propietary and what not, but just listing 6.8 grams of xyz sucks. Like I would want to know exactly how much creatine I'm ingesting, etc etc.

With that said, PhD Wired has 6.8 grams of creatine magnesium chelate, l-citrulline malate, beta alanine, AAKG. So they went with the more $ arginine, and cheaper non branded beta alanine (non CarnoSyn)

Then we have the focus part, L-tyrosin...

Then we have the focus part, L-tyrosine, caffeine, oleuropein and finally astragin.

Effectiveness: 8.5. When I noticed only 6.8 grams of goodies, I thought maybe there wouldn't be enough citrulline, arginine, creatine to go around. But it packs just enough and I'm assuming that PhD skipped on the fillers, which a lot of other PWO's have. So your taking pretty much raw functional ingredients and none of the pixie dust. Good pump, no crazy jitters, although I did get a slight stim.

Ingredients: 8. There's not a shopping list of every ingredient possible. It's just your basic tried and true, with a mix of higher end and lower end ingredients. I give them a 8 because unlike other PWO's they pack the entire 6.8 grams worth of functional stuff.

Value: 10. I always recommend buying your supps at the health shows like Olympia, Europa, etc. You can score crazy cash deals if you chum it up with the booth staff. They're there, losing their weekends, working a show hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from home. Kindness goes a long way! I got a 2 month supply for $20! Ridic!

Taste: 3. Taste to me is lowest priority, I care more about results & value. Their tropical flavour tasted unremarkable. In fact one of the worst PWO flavours I'e had in awhile.

• Good Pumps
    • Good Focus
    • Sometimes Crash Afterwards
    I took the new Mr. Hyde, sans DMAA. I think to compensate for the dmaa free formula, they packed a whooping 419mg of caffeine in their new formula. I consume roughly 500mg-600mg daily (including my coffee habit) so I can't do the whole scoop Monday-Fri (squeeze my gym sessions in after work).

Right away, I love how Pro Supps listed the amounts and dosaging, which is transparent and helps us plan our nutrition regimen. Not many companies do this so shout out Pro Supps!

Effectiveness; 7.5-9.5. Why the range? I use half a scoop on weekdays and the occasional full scoop on Saturdays. At half scoop, I feel a bit of the stim but thankfully no shaking hands syndrome. I do feel like when I'm using the full scoop, I'm getting a full pump, easily hitting my 1mr on the flat bench and back squat. That said, on the full scoop, I do get a slight comedown, like almost if I'm low on insulin sometimes. Will need to do a more thorough documentation of what I eat that day to confirm. Half scoop, unfortunately, I'm getting just enough but not the maximum dosaging I need.

I stack this with their No3 Drive, so again, I'm not 100% sure if it's a synergistic effect. I have tried each one by itself a couple times, and get similar pump/results, so go figure.

Ingredients: 9. Packs all the stuff you need, 5 grams of beta alanine, creatine, agamtine, citrulline you name it. Then you of course you get the overdose of caffeine and the unique ingredient, pikatropin, which is suppose to be a cognitive enhancer. I certainly hope their next batch of Mr. Hyde will come in around 300mg of caffeine for a full dose.

Value. 9 For the $32, the ingredients you get, I would definitely say a great deal.

Taste. 9, No complaints here but taste is least important to me.

February 2, 2014

• Flushing
    • Not Enough Pump
    I use to use MP's old Assault as my primary preworkout around first half of 2012. I picked up a bunch from the Olympia show, they were doing cash deals for $20 each! Well it was $25, but I negotiated for a volume deal ha. Now on to the actual performance.

Old Assault, I took the half scoop, never full. The old assault, they stated on the label exactly what you're getting with a dose. 4g of beta alanine, 5g creatine, etc. New Assault, you have no idea...

Regarding pump, endurance and jitters, I loved that you got the energy boost and extra set in that you expect off a pre-workout, without the crazy jitters a lot of pres have. I could easily push weight for an hour no problemo.

New Assault, I get a slight flush even at half the dosage. I've read other people's review that it may have something do with the niacin. I also read that MP was actually losing money despite being one of the fastest growing supp companies in America. You'll notice that they removed Con-cret, rhodiola rosea(cheaper beet substitute), AstraGin and few other ingredients with the new formula, which I assume was a cost cutting move. If you bring the old Assault back MP, I'm with you 100%.