jrconn0609

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 4 years, and was last online 2 years ago
  • Moderate community participation

Reviews by jrconn0609

Thanks to MAXLER for sending it out!
  November 29, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Energy Boost
  • Way To Many Pills

Hello all, I'm back with another review for you! I'm currently working through Cory Gregory's Get Swole program on Bodybuilding.com (3-5 days of work/wk) in an effort to both maintain/increase lean muscle mass while simultaneously losing a little body fat. When this product came around for trial I jumped on it as I've been wanting to try a BCAA product for quite some time. Below are my thoughts on this product but before I get there I want send a large Thank You to Maxler for allowing me to trial their product and to the SR Trooper program as well for coordinating it!
...

I love the simplicity here so I'll keep my thoughts simple as well. Maxler uses a 3:1:1 ratio of Leucine:Iso-Leucine:Valine providing 4500mg:1500mg:1500mg of each respectively per dose. Aside from the active ingredients the capsules and powder consisted of very few inactive ingredients for a very clean profile.

After lots of back and forth (because I confused the hell out of myself!) I realized the dose is actually appropriate with 7.5g of BCAA's per serving but the difficulty is that it requires 10 large pills to do so. This is where the product takes its largest hit. 10 pills is a lot to get down each dose. I had no problems with taste as they were tasteless pills.

For reference my dosing protocol was 1 dose after workouts rather than daily intake. Over the 3-4 weeks I took the product I only noticed a slight uptick in energy on the days after I took a dose and lost 1-2lbs during the time I took this product. I wonder what my results would be like over 10-12 weeks of work, taking BCAA's every day/multiple times daily.

Value in this category can be difficult since most companies don't always use the same ratio of ingredients or some products also include other supps like glutamine and vitamins. For my value rating I took the top 3 BCAA products and compared straight price per serving rather than trying to match up dose levels. Maxler 7500 came in towards the middle at $0.93/s. For comparison NutraBio's Intrablast comes in at $0.99/s, Performix Iso 9:2:2 at $1.55/s and Nutrabio's BCAA 2500 at $0.46/s.

No side effects noticed

Conclusion

6.5/10 overall
I love the review process for products here on SR. It really forces me to sit down and be very thorough and critical of the products I've taken. Originally, I was extremely critical and harsh regarding the dosing of this product and a lack of results but after sitting down to type up this review I changed my tune a little and began to like this product a little more. I can't say I'll be running to the street corner to yell of its greatness but if Maxler can remedy my issues with the dosing, either by making it a flavored powder or fewer pills per dose I'd be more than happy to try this product again. I think there are better products on the market in this category but Maxler has a chance to be up there if they make a few tweaks.

Thanks again to Maxler and SR for the chance to trial this product!

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  August 12, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Super Clean Protein
  • No Fillers
  • A Bit Pricey

Hello again folks! I'm back with another review for you. I want to send out a HUGE thank you to NutraBio for allowing the Troopers to trial this product. I've heard great things about NutraBio and was looking forward to trying such a quality product and thankfully I wasn't disappointed. For reference I'm working out about 3 days a week with a 70/30 blend of weightlifting and cardio.

Short and sweet. I don't think anyone can complain about the profile on this product because it's as straight forward as it gets and so far it's the most transparent label I've seen. When writing reviews we're not supposed to list the whole profile but it's nearly impossible to do that with this product. This product contains only whey protein isolate and a few flavoring ingredients. It doesn't get any more simple than that.

8/8/10
Taste - 8: NutraBio was kind enough to send me my favorite flavor, Chocolate and I was pleased with the flavor overall. The only complaint I had was that it wasn't sweet enough. The flavor resembled more of a dark chocolate, though it wasn't bitter, it wasn't very sweet and I'd like it to be a little sweeter.

Mix - 8: I mixed this product purely in water which worked fairly well but I did have some small issues with "volcanic powder pockets" as Dane Cook once called them. haha. I'd say 80-90% of the product mixed in well but from time to time my mix would have undispersed powder balls that I'd have to chew to break up. This might have been caused by humidity because this summer in Indiana has been notoriously humid, even with my A/C running constantly. Usually adding more liquid helps with this but not it did not in this case. And I want to make sure readers understand these undispersed pockets are better than some of the powders I've reviewed previously.

Dosing - 10: To go along with the ingredient profile this dose is just awesome. Out of a 30.5g dose (which is a smaller dose compared to other proteins), 92% (28.19g) is protein isolate yielding 25g of usable protein. I love how simple and small this dose is which made it easy to mix in smaller amounts of water. Instead of needing 16-24oz of water like I've had to use in the past this only required about 8-10oz.

Overall I saw about the same amount of effectiveness as I've seen in other decent whey protein isolates. Taken during or immediately after a workout I noticed a slight reduction in muscle soreness but not a complete elimination. I'd challenge anyone who's really challenging themselves to find a protein powder that completely eliminates soreness.

I've also noticed an increase in strength in recent weeks while taking the product but again, it's not a miracle product alone. I've been getting better at my lifting technique and this product seemed to work in cooperation with that.

This is my only qualm with this product. NutraBio's whey isolate sits at #3 in its category and I recently tried/reviewed the #2 product from ON. I'd say effectiveness was about equal, ON's flavor was a bit better but NutraBio's ingredient profile is better, however, ON has the better value. Best price for 5lbs of powder is $79.99 for Nutrabio and $51.99 for ON. Both have 74 doses so that comes to $1.08/sv and $0.78/sv respectively. I really like protein powders to be below $1/sv so obviously I was disappointed by the price of Nutrabio's product. I would expect a higher price/sv because it is a better quality product but that would be more in the $0.85-$0.90/sv range in my opinion. If I had some extra cash I would definitely purchase this product but on a regular basis I'd probably opt for the lower cost of ON's whey protein

Side Effects

none noticed

Conclusion

To wrap this up I'd like to, again, thank the NutraBio team for allowing me to try this product and provide a review for it. I was very pleased with the product and definitely recommend it for anyone who is willing to spend a little extra cash for a great quality product. I'm in a financial position where that isn't really available to me but if ever I have the extra cash I will be coming back to this product. I hope to continue to see NutraBio's dedication to excellent quality products and transparent supplement labels!

Happy Lifting!

Thanks to Advanced Molecular Labs for sending it out!
  July 15, 2016

• Mental Focus
  • Diarrhea

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
Hello all! I'd like to start by sending out a HUGE thank you to Advanced Molecular Labs for allowing me to trial their PWO and for being patient while I worked through vacations to complete this review for them. Aside from the 2 weeks I took off of working out for vacations I have been working out about 4-5 times per week concentrating on muscle building and strength. Being a father of a 1.5yr old son this meant I was working out at 6am which is not easy but I will say I got a decent boost from this PWO once it kicked in.

---...

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)

I was pleased with the clarity of this label but the mfg might be able to improve the clarity in the future. While there aren't any prop blends listed, several minor ingredients are not labeled for exact quantities. To make up for that, however, most of the major players are listed and accounted for with the exception of the N-Acetyl Tyrosine (amino acid used in protein synthesis). 400mg of Caffeine, 6g of Citrulline Malate, 5g of Creatine Monohydrate and 2g Beta-Alanine round out a pretty decent ingredient profile where I noticed a decent amount of energy but not much in the way of pump.

Dosing of this product was very appropriate at ~24g. I did have some minor issues with mixability. Most of the product dispersed easily and quickly but no matter the amount of water I used it seemed there was always an amount of bitter crystallized particles that wouldn't mix well. More water (16-24oz per dose) would help and more time before drinking would help also but I couldn't get the particles to disappear on any of the 20 servings.

From a taste perspective, this came as Fruit punch and was a good fruit punch flavor but unfortunately it was rather sour most of the time. Being that I took this in the morning for probably 15 of the 20 doses, I would drink this soon after I brushed my teeth which likely caused some issue with taste but on the few times I had this in the evening before an evening workout I still noticed it to be sour. Take that for what it's worth because without the sour taste I enjoyed the fruit punch flavor.

7.5/10
The biggest boost I got from this product was clean, sustainable energy (though I noticed no hyperactivity from the caffeine) and an immense amount of mental clarity and focus which likely came from the adrenaline & dopamine activator section of this ingredient profile. This was great taking in the morning because I went from working out directly to work where I liked having a mental boost as a rubber chemist. I did not get a pump whatsoever though, which I liked actually. I don't like getting too pumped because I lose range of motion in my lifts which is NOT good. So for me the lack of a pump presence actually helped out.

There was some tingling from the beta-alanine but that wore off quickly, within maybe 15 minutes of the first tingle.

As far as PWO go this is more expensive than the top 3 stim PWO's on SR.com. At $2.00/sv this is $1.10/sv more than the #3 ranked PWO. Because of the ingredient quality and no prop blends this can likely be substantiated but I'd like to see Advanced Molecular Labs (AML) work towards getting the price down below that of Pre-Jym (#1 ranked PWO). Pre-jym is $1.78/sv so if AML could hit $1.50 or $1.60 I'd be pleased.

Side Effects

1/10 (bad)
This was the worst part of this product and why I'd heavily consider not taking it again. I had REALLY bad diarrhea about 20-30 minutes after I took my dose. I'd drink the PWO before leaving my house, drive 10min to the gym, get ready and have to go to the bathroom before I got into the weight room. After going I would be fine for the rest of the day. This is likely due to the heavy presence of Magnesium and Potassium Citrate which are used to provide the consumer with Mg and K minerals but that particular form of Mg and K is used by proctologists to clean bowels prior to colonoscopies. I may be more or less susceptible to this side effect than others so take this at your own risk.

Conclusion

(7/10)
Overall I can't say this is a bad product but I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. The mental focus and clarity were great!! Along with the increased, clean energy, these are what made the product good for me. However, questioning whether I wanted to do squats through my workout was not fun and I would like to see the price come down. If those two items can be fixed I would be willing to purchase this product on a regular basis.

April 1, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Betaine
  • Strength Gains
  • Gains In Muscle
  • 5g Of Creatine
  • Effective
  • Addition Of Creatine May Be A Con For Some

Hey all! I'm back with another blended protein review. I will eventually get off this protein bandwagon as I introduce more supps into my regiment but for now bear with me please. My goals right now surround increasing muscle mass/decreasing body fat and this was a good product to continue down that road with.

7.5/10
I'm rating this lower than I really want to because of the fillers and so I'll separate this portion into 2 sections. What I'll call active and inactive ingredients.

- Active Ingredients (10/10)
RC's put together a well...

7.5/10

- Active Ingredients (10/10)
RC's put together a well thought out muscle building profile here with 30g of actual protein (from all the good sources) per serving PLUS 5g of creatine and 2.5g of betaine. With seemingly full disclosure from RC it's apparent he's putting emphasis on building muscle and mass, especially when you add in 8g of carbs and 2.5g of fat per serving. For some this is really high in carbs but I was using this as my breakfast and the carbs helped satiate my hunger a little more compared to a straight whey protein. When you add the active ingredients together that comes up to 48g of active ingredients/51g serving which makes sense. The last protein I reviewed had issues with amino spiking which made me think I was getting more protein than I actually was. After a little schooling from a fellow SR member I learned the error of my ways and came to love this profile.

- Inactive ingredients (5/10)
While a lot of these ingredients seem to pop in most formulas I still don't like them. I wish there was less filler content. In it's condensed version this product has the following fillers: natural and artificial flavors, gum blend, non-dairy creamer, flour, salt, sucralose and acesulfame potassium. If one is to read the label these fillers are expanded out (thanks to RC's transparency!) to show more even more ingredients. This won't stop me from using the product in the future but it'd be nice to see a slightly cleaner profile in the future.

(6/7/10)
I mentioned the dosing a little more in the section above than I probably should have but I felt it was important to tie the profile to the dosing with this product. To recap, 48g of active ingredients/51g serving is pretty awesome! No short changing the "10" score this product deserves. The only negative (which doesn't impact MY scoring) was the fact I needed a lot of liquid (>24oz) to get this to a good consistency that I liked because the dose was so large at 51g v. a more common dose near 30 or 35g/serving.

Taste and mixability were a little bit of an issue for me here. I'm a huge chocolate fan and like a rich/full chocolate flavor in my protein (and chocolate bars). The double chocolate cookie crunch flavor I used was heavy on the cocoa but didn't enhance some of the sweetness I've come to enjoy in chocolate. This may have been deliberate by the manufacturer but I wasn't the biggest fan. As far as mixing is concerned it took a lot of liquid as mentioned above to get this product to dissolve and usually required a 20-22oz h2o/4-6oz milk blend to get most of the graininess out of it. The cookie crumbs were supposed to be present but there was more graininess beyond that.

(8.5/10)
Coupled with my workout program I'd say this was a very effective supplement. I dropped 2inches in my waist, lost about 1% body fat while maintaining my weight around the 355 mark while this product and most notably I increased my bb.com predicted 1 rep maxes on several lifts. 2 examples are a predicted 20-30lb increase in my bench press, and 20lb increase in my shoulder press. That's pretty damn effective if you ask me.

(9/10)
This product is right up there and quite possibly one of the best in terms of value. For ~$50 or $1.00/serving you get 30g of protein (more than the avg), 5g of creatine and 2.5g of betaine. I've set my goal at <$1.00/serving for protein alone. Some simple arithmetic shows 5g of creatine (pricing from nutrabio's creatine monohydrate on amazon) would add $0.27/serving. That price addition alone would push this out of my purchasing limit so it's very easy to say this product it's worth the money you pay for it!

Side Effects

Later on in the tub I started to notice a little gas after taking my morning shake. I'm not sure if this was the protein or the creatine causing it but I'm hypothesizing that it is the creatine since I haven't noticed any issues with protein blends in the past. Either way the gas was minor and only last about an hour or so in the morning.

Conclusion

I must admit, when I thought about writing this review I was worried I would have to give the #2 blended protein on SR a bad review. However, after I sat down for a few minutes and thought more about about what it did for me and what I got out of it, I realized I couldn't cut RC down. He's made a quality product that is high on my list to purchase the next time I'm looking to boost my strength and muscle mass. Thanks for making a good product RC! I'll be back for certain!

February 9, 2016

• Keeps You Full
  • Chalky Taste
  • Powdery

Hello all. This is the review I've been waiting to give for about a month now since I decided to start reviewing products. I found a good meal replacement protein for my breakfasts as part of my new diet and this is a great candidate that stands the chance of getting used again.

(7)
I'm still looking for an appropriately priced product that has fewer "fillers" like "Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Calcium Carbonate, Silicon Dioxide, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sucralose, Soy or Sunflower Lecithin". These seem to be common amongst most protein products but I'd like to see less of them.

As for the actual good stuff I really like the blend of protein types a lot, especially since I wanted to use this as my breakfast and I needed something to keep me satiated from ~7:30am till noon. It starts off with really fast absorbing hydrolyzed whey (not my favorite but good to get things started fast when I'm hungry) then transitions into medium absorbing whey proteins (both concentrates and isolates) and finally ends with 2 types of casein to help keep me full until I got to lunchtime.

(8/6/10)
I bought the chocolate peanut butter flavor and really liked the flavor. I'm a big chocolate guy and there was plenty of chocolate flavor but it did lack the peanut butter flavor I was hoping would be there. Overall, it was a good flavor.

Mixing was a bit of an issue for this product. The best way to mix it, that I found, was straight water. I tried milk only and water/milk blends of various ratios but water only still mixed best. Even with it being the "best", water only still left a lot of undissolved particles that precipitated to the bottom of my shaker. They would re-suspend if I shook it up and drank the shake right away but if I let it sit the particles would fall out of suspension again. It made the drink a little chalky which is why the title says "easy to drink...for the most part".

Dosing is great on this product. The scoop isn't overly large and has 26g of protein which is on the higher side of most doses per scoop. I was very happy with that.

(7)
I'd say this product was effective on two fronts. MuscleTech promotes this product as giving 8 hours of protein release, which is difficult to feel in one's body, but I definitely felt full for 4-5 hours after drinking it which was my number 1 goal. My number two goal was help losing weight by increasing my protein intake. I dropped 10lbs since I started taking this product and have dropped about 2.5% body fat. This adds to me thinking this is an effective product when coupled with a good workout program

(9)
Very simply I believe a protein is of good value when it costs less than $1.00/serving. This costs ~$0.96/serving in a 5lb tub so I consider this product to be of good value

Side Effects

(10)
No noticeable side effects were felt.

Conclusion

(8/10)
Overall, this is a good product that did a good job of keeping me full (goal number 1) as a breakfast meal replacement. There were some mixability issues that made the drink a little less than desirable but not to the point where I wouldn't buy another tub down the road. If you're looking for a meal replacement powder for a morning meal, I'd definitely recommend this product to anyone who asks for my opinion.

Overall
Overall
  January 25, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Mix
  • Good Dosing
  • Not The Best Value

I am a little surprised that this product doesn't have any reviews yet. Optimum's Performance Whey Isolate is a decent product. I won't say it's great, especially because there are better values out there but overall I think it's a product worth trying if you're looking for a decent recovery protein and have some extra cash to burn. This is another product recommended by bodybuilding.com (which is where I get quite a bit of information) about 4 months ago when I was looking for a supplemental protein to improve muscle recovery. This was added to my "diet" as part of a recommendation from my doctor to switch to a higher protein, lower carb diet and I used it after my workouts as a source of quick digesting protein. I've since added MuscleTech's Phase 8 protein blend and will be reviewing that in the coming weeks when I finish the tub.

Judging by the lack of reviews I've got a feeling there are better recovery supplements out there but for just getting started (less than 2 years using supplements) I think this product was worth it.

(9/10)
This is probably my favorite ingredient profile of the products I've tried so far. This is a very simple mix of whey protein isolates, some flavor agents and aids to help with miscibility. I really like that there aren't many fillers to "extend" the mix. One other GREAT aspect of the ingredient mix is the higher amount of protein without much sugar (<1g per serving) and carbs (3g/serv). Being on a low carb meal plan, this really makes it easy to get some additional protein.

I also like that this product includes 5.5g of BCAA's that are necessary for muscle recovery.

(10/10 for mix and dosing; 6/10 taste)
Again, simplicity helps a lot with this aspect. The ingredients allow this product to be mixed VERY easily with water alone. Most other proteins I've tried take a generous amount of shaking and/or a water/milk blend. Isolate will dissolve with little to no mixing, in water, if desired.

The taste of this product could be improved. I used the chocolate flavor and found it to be a little light on the actual chocolate flavor. Some may not mind this if they don't like chocolate as much as I do, but I like a rich, chocolate flavor in my proteins when I use them and this product is missing that.

Dosing on this product is excellent with 25g of protein packed into only 34g of powder. For comparison, I just reviewed BSN's Syntha-6 which contained 22g of protein in 47g of powder. I believe this adds to the ease of mixing in a normal 20-24oz shaker because there is less powder to dissolve.

(6/10)
I'll admit, I'm still new to the supplement world but I'm confident that there are probably better recovery supplements available to reduce sore muscle presence and improve one's day to day workouts. However, for my purposes this product was effective enough. I could tell when I didn't drink my after workout shake and when I did. The typical day 2 pain (as I call the pain felt in a muscle on the 2nd day after working it) was less when I took this product. I still felt the soreness but wasn't "immobilized" by it.

One key thing to note here is that the Isolate form of the protein really aids in getting protein molecules and BCAA's to the muscle quickly, so timing is crucial. This protein needs to be taken within 30 or 45 minutes of the workout to work. Beyond that there isn't any long term benefit as there are no slow digesting proteins to help with muscle rebuilding after about an hour or 2 from taking the product. This is in comparison to a whey concentrate or Casein type protein which are both slower digesting.

(7/10)
This is a sneaky attribute of Isolate as it is cheaper serving but costs more up front. I like buying proteins in larger quantities to take advantage of bulk packaging prices so I am comparing the value of the ~5lb products. On a per serving cost basis this product is excellent, costing only ~$0.89/serving. Compare that to my recent review of Syntha-6 (a protein blend) which had a ~$1.04/serving cost. So Isolate is a good value per serving, however the 5lb pale can cost anywhere from $60-$70 which is a lot of money. Plus keep in mind this product probably isn't the best for recovery, though it does help.

Side Effects

No noticeable side effects.

Conclusion

Overall, I like this product as a means of getting some simple, quick, protein right after a workout. It holds decent value but probably isn't the best for overall muscle recovery after a workout. I'm sure over the years to come I'll find a better recovery supplement that has better value and effectiveness. If I ever have the money, I probably will use this again for the same purpose of quick protein but will most likely stack it with a post-workout or something better in terms of muscle recovery. I would recommend it for use if anyone has similar goals of getting a decent, quick digesting protein, but not for much else.

January 22, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Before Bed
  • Great For Meal Replacement
  • Unbelievable Taste
  • A Little Pricey But Cant Beat The Taste
  • Could Have 24 To 25g Of Protein Than 22g

About 5 years ago I started working out with goals in mind like bulking up and cutting for the first time. Most of my prior experience was sports related and dictated by my coach. Getting started and trolling the internet looking for ethical ways to improve my fitness I found Bodybuilding.com which led me to SR. As a result I've been using SR as my go to resource for searching out & finding supplements and now I'd like to start contributing and giving back the other members that helped me get started. Recently I switched my diet to be more protein heavy and lower on carb intake because I would like to lose some weight, primarily through fat loss. As part of my desire to contribute I thought it'd be good to start with the first protein supplement I used about a year ago. This was a good tasting product that really helped to curb morning bouts of hunger pains and gave me a little help with muscle recovery as I was doing Crossfit at the time.

(6/10)
While I liked this product I've found, as I've learned more about ingredient profiles, that this product has more artificial ingredients than I like in my protein powders. Aside from the protein blend there are 5 ingredients (Polydextrose, MCT Powder, Vegetable Color, Papain and bromelain) that I feel decrease the efficacy of the product. In a 47g dose there are only 22g of protein compared with the current product I'm taking (which I'll review later when I've finished the tub). This other product has 26g of protein in a 42g dose.

Beyond the fillers, however, I do like the inclusion of the glutamine peptides and egg albumen in the protein blend of Syntha-6. I like the benefit of the well rounded blend that really helps to keep me from feeling emaciated when I woke up in the morning.
(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)

(10/10 taste/mix & 7/10 dosing)
The taste of this product is phenomenal! My wife (who was taking the product with me) chose the Chocolate peanut butter and we both loved the flavor. To her it is still the best tasting product I've had in the house. I found that to mix the product the best I had to use a combo of water and milk to disperse all of the clumps. Once I figured out to blend my liquid it mixed great for me with a simple shaker. I didn't need to do anything crazy and that made me happy since I had a newborn that I was NOT going to wake up with a blender at 9:30 at night! I'd also take it in the morning sometimes as a breakfast/meal replacement and wasn't blending at that time either.

As mentioned the downfall here is the dosing. Only 22g of protein per 47g of powder. This is a lot of powder and required a lot of liquid to disperse so I had to have a pretty big shake to get the dosage in. I didn't really like that but I could handle it.

(8/10)
This product was most effective as a method if increasing daily protein intake and by taking the dose at night was the best choice. It gave me a long term feeling of fullness and made my mornings easier to stomach (pun intended). I didn't have to scarf down food right away and I could eat at my leisure. I also wanted to get some help with muscle recovery but I didn't notice as much recovery/relief as I thought I would. I could definitely tell it was helping because if I went a few days without taking it I would be more sore than on the days I did but a little more recovery would have been nice.

(6/10)
Because of the dosing size and filler content this product is more expensive than it should be for the quantity. This product only produces 9.6 servings/lb of powder and what makes that worse is the fact that there is only 22g of protein per serving. The current product I'm taking (again, one I'll review later) has a profile that gives 11.4 servings/lb with 26g of protein per serving and it's a little cheaper @ $0.96/serving compared to Syntha-6 which is $1.04/serving. It would be nice to see the serving size go down while keeping the protein content the same if BSN every wanted to improve this product.

Side Effects

(N/A)
I did not notice any side effects from taking this product.

Conclusion

I do not regret taking this product as it was a good product to "wet my whistle" with on protein supplements but after learning more I've found that there are better products out there for overall effectiveness and value. However, I have yet to find a product that will beat this one in terms of taste. I was very pleased with the flavor. If you've got a little extra cash available I might recommend this product with another 1 or 2 for comparison, but if the budget is tight I'd go with a different product.