jeerree

• Stamina
  • Xtend Bcaas
  • Too Sweet
  • Gritty Texture

Fully dosed and disclosed preworkouts are more popular than ever. Whether it is because us consumers as a whole have wisened up to the supplement industry's tactics of underdosing and proprietary blends, or the manufacturers have decided they could make a whole lot of money charging $2 a scoop for pre, we are blessed to be lifting in an age where we finally get ingredients that WORK.

Scivation's entrance into the fully dosed preworkout market is Quake 10.0, two big heaping scoopfuls of goodies meant to enhance your workout. Let's see how it stacks up.

----Ingredients...

Ingredients

L-Citrulline 6g - Studies put L Citrulline at about 6-8g for effective dosing, so Quake 10.0 checks off the box here.
XTEND BCAAs Blend: 7000 mg
L-Leucine 3,500mg
L-Isoleucine 1,750mg
L-Valine 1,750mg

This is Scivation's tried-and-true BCAA 2:1:1 blend and it makes a welcome appearance here. BCAAs have been shown to be muscle sparing and my understanding of the studies is that >3g leucine is what signals muscle protein synthesis, which this provides.

L-Tyrosine - 3g - This is a ton of Tyrosine relative to what else is out there. It works synergistically with caffeine for elevated mood and focus.
PeakO2 Blend 2g - This is a blend of adaptogens, mostly from mushrooms, that have been shown to increase time to exhaustion and boost performance.
Arginine Nitrate (as NO3-T) 1.5g - A form of Arginine, an ingredient which has started falling out of favor now that citrulline's popularity has risen.
L-Carnitine L-Tartrate 1g
Capros (Indian Gooseberry Extract) 1g
Caffeine Anhydrous 350mg - A fairly high amount of caffeine in my opinion, but will definitely give you the kick.
L-Theanine 200mg
AstraGin (Panax Notoginseng and Astragalus Menbranaceus) 50mg

THIS STUFF IS SWEET. Sweet, not in a good way, just literally sweet. I had a tub of the Watermelon Bubblegum flavor. It doesn't matter whether I mix the serving in 12oz of water or 32oz, it is overly sweet. There was a light watermelon flavor and did taste a little like the bubblegum, but once flavor fatigue set in, it felt like I was drinking sugar water. If you have tried any other preworkouts with 6g of citrulline, you will know that citrulline is a quite sour raw ingredient. There was no hint of sourness in this supplement, so I can't imagine what levels of this sweetener were used. Overall 7/10

Mixability was average. There is some grittiness which I believe is is from the PeakO2 blend. It is essentially ground up mushrooms, so I would not expect that to really dissolve. My other experience with PeakO2 was Scivation Xtend Perform, and its consistency is about the same as that. No surprised there Overall 7.5/10

Dosing in Quake per 2 scoops is great and loaded with goodies. The only glaring omission is beta-alanine, so you will be missing the tingles from taking this. If I had to guess, since PeakO2 increases endurance, they chose to forgo an ingredient that would have done essentially the same thing. Overall 9.5/10

The effectiveness of this preworkout was great when I had the chance to use it, but I found its ideal use cases a bit limited. Usually I sip my BCAA intra-workout so the idea of getting all 7g before my workout was new to me. Additionally, I like to eat something before my workouts so any BCAAs on top of protein consumed is just wasted. Not wanting to waste a full 7g of the ingredient profile, I found the best time to use this was for fasted cardio in my mornings, where I could use the jolt of caffeine as well as some BCAA. The other time I would use it is for late afternoon workouts when I am well past my lunch but haven't eaten dinner yet.

Energy from Quake 10.0 was clean and smooth, especially given the 350mg caffeine. This is an amount I'd usually crash on, but with the heap of Tyrosine, theanine, and probably the sheer amount of other ingredients, I felt good during and after taking this. Pumps were good, above average but not any level I'd call truly skin-splitting. Finally, I believe the PeakO2 to be effective, but I have taken Xtend Perform and this so long that I have definitely plateaued on the endurance boost. I am sure I would notice if I no longer took any PeakO2 for an extended time, though. Overall 9.1/10

The retail price for this is 39.99 for 40 scoops, which is 20 fully dosed servings for me. This is average for the category, as C4 Ultimate, JYM, Kaged, and similar competitors all cost around this much. I got this on Bodybuilding.com with a BOGO deal, plus a $10 email signup coupon, so it's definitely possible to bring this down to reasonable levels.

I have also seen good prices on Quake 10.0 on Groupon, but I would be wary of buying supplements there. I had a bad experience once with the expiration dates and clumping, but your mileage may vary. Overall 8/10

Side Effects

No side effects from me. No crash, jitters, stomach issues, nothing.

Conclusion

If you want energy, endurance and pumps during your workout, I would highly recommend trying this out. I have a tub of the lemon flavor, which I hope will taste better. If you are okay with the sweetness and drink a lot of water, this stuff is very good.

November 30, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Recovery
  • Smooth Texture
  • Slightly Expensive
  • Only Sold In 1lb 1.75lb And 3.5lb
  • Funky Taste Issues

I found a tub of this on clearance for half off so I thought it was the perfect time to try it. I'm 5'9" 170lbs, so I'm not huge but have a fairly active lifestyle and always wanted to try a high quality hydrolyzed isolate.

Per 39g scoop, there are 30g of whey protein isolate and hydrolyzed whey protein isolate along with added micronized BCAAs. Hydrolyzed isolates are predigested protein molecules. While that sounds bad, it is not the same as denaturation! These smaller blocks bond more readily to the body's enzymes needed to digest the protein, so absorption is much quicker than a typical isolate or concentrate.

Taste 6/10
We will start off here with my biggest complaint. I got the Velocity Vanilla flavor, which had a sweet, slightly artificial taste that wasn't bad. It was the AFTERTASTE that led to this low taste rating. I am not sure what the culprit is, but since most proteins use Ace K and Sucralose for sweetening, I am going to pin the blame on the micronized BCAAs. The aftertaste was quite bitter and not clean like vanilla should be. What's worse is this taste pierced through anything I mixed it with -- water, juice, milk. Nothing could be done to hide this.

Mixability 9.5/10
Pretty much perfect on mixability here. Any shaker bottle will dissolve the protein completely. In fact, if you let your shake settle for an hour or so in the fridge, the solution will actually start to clear up. That's pretty impressive mixability. I can't give it a perfect score because I haven't tried the ultimate test of stirring it in water with a spoon, but I bet it would do pretty well there.

Dosing 8/10
30g of protein in a 39g scoop is pretty good for a protein %, but compared to other isolates, I feel it is quite low. Part of this is due to the added BCAAs, so I do not believe this protein is amino spiked. You are getting 30g of protein and BCAAs on top of that. However there is also maltodextrin, which is just a filler that adds carbs. So overall this protein percentage is not that much better than Optimums Gold Standard Whey, which is about 24g for ~32g scoop.

8.8/10

I used a 1.76lb container which has 20 servings for a little over a month. I was also consuming other whey proteins that were mostly concentrates. I used this primarily post-workout and not just as a daily protein supplement. It *seemed* like it did the job with rapid absorption. From what I could feel, there was no stomach discomfort, gas, bloating, etc. Any downsides that a cheap protein could potentially cause were non-existent. I make sure my protein intake is adequate every day, so muscle soreness was at usual levels. I don't think there is a protein out there that will magically eliminate soreness, but this was a drink I looked forward to after working out.

The price I paid was $20 for 20 servings. This is a pretty good price for a hydrolyzed whey isolate. It also comes in a 3.5lb tub, but nothing bigger than that. At around a dollar per serving, I think it is worth a shot to try. But generally is definitely more expensive than most anything out there and I don't think I've experienced enough of a difference vs. regular protein to justify constant use.

Side Effects

Zero side effects. Other than the bitter aftertaste

Conclusion

This is definitely a high quality protein from Optimum. I've ruled out getting the vanilla flavor again because of taste, but for the mixability and effectiveness, I'd be willing to roll the dice on a different flavor in hopes of an improvement.

March 3, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Pump
  • Many Ingredients Underdosed
This is iSatori's stim free PWO and after going through a bottle of it, I can say the results were okay.

Ingredients: Credit to mhseaver670 with an excellent job writing out the ingredient label, which I will add my own commentary on below

Pre-Workout - Precise Micro-Nutrient Delivery:
Carnostim-Xâ„¢(Instant Type IIx Muscle Fiber Activator) 613.26mg *
Beta Alanine(as 2-Hydroxy-3-Aminopropanoic Acid)
L-Histidine(as (2S)-2-Amino-3-(3H-Imidazol-4-Yl)propanoic Acid)
Aspartic Acid(as 2-Aminobutanedioic Acid)
Niacin(as Pyridine-3-Carboxylic Acid)

This prop blend seems great because...

Pre-Workout - Precise Micro-Nutrient Delivery:
Carnostim-Xâ„¢(Instant Type IIx Muscle Fiber Activator) 613.26mg *
Beta Alanine(as 2-Hydroxy-3-Aminopropanoic Acid)
L-Histidine(as (2S)-2-Amino-3-(3H-Imidazol-4-Yl)propanoic Acid)
Aspartic Acid(as 2-Aminobutanedioic Acid)
Niacin(as Pyridine-3-Carboxylic Acid)

This prop blend seems great because there are all the chemical names of all these standard compounds, lol. Given that most PWOs have Beta Alanine at 1000mg per serving or higher, I would say this combo is underdosed.

2 Intra-Workout - Precise Micro-Nutrient Delivery:
Hydro-PUMPâ„¢(Continuous Plasma And Blood Expander) 1,300mg *
Glycerol Monostearate(as Octadecanoic Acid, Monoester With 1,2,3-Propane-Triol)
L-Arginine-L-Malate(as (2S)-2-Amino-5-(Diaminomethyl Ideneamino) Pentanoic Acid; 2-Hydroxybutanedioic Acid)

The inclusion of glycerol is great since it gives great pumps and typically isn't in any PWO I use. Arginine is the most popular pump ingredient but its effectiveness is hit or miss, so I can't comment too much here.

3 Post-Workout - Precise Micro-Nutrient Delivery:
Prosyntha-Rxâ„¢(Fast-Acting Muscle Cell Regenerator) 1,250mg *
Di-Creatine Malate(as 2-(Carbamimidoyl-Methyl-Amino) Acetic Acid; 2-Hydroxybutanedioic Acid)
L-Citrulline(as (S)-2-Amino-5- Ureidopentanoic Acid)

Creatine is either underdosed if this is your only source of creatine or unnecessary if you are taking other creatines. Citrulline is definitely underdosed.

So there's the lengthy ingredients section. TL:DR, underdosed prop blends, but glycerol monostearate seems to be nice.

Effectiveness: I put this at a 4/10 because I think anything I got out of this was from the glycerol. If my beta alanine levels and creatine levels are already saturated from other stuff I am taken, this little bit isn't gonna do much. The pumps weren't skin blistering by any means, but were noticeable.

I will also say that I really don't put too much credence into this 3-phase time release thing that iSatori developed. I think it is more of a placebo effect when you check the time at the gym and think, "Oh, phase 2 of the Morph has started, guess my pumps will be kicking in." I'm pretty sure that's how it works, right? The front of the bottle also claims and 1.77x increase in lean muscle mass on the first dose, or something ridiculous to that effect. Yes, iSatori pulled a Muscletech claim out their a**

Value: I think this costs around 35-40 retail? I got mine for free in a contest, but for 60 servings it's among the better deals in stim free preworkout. iSatori has had a great track record of making products I have enjoyed, but this one just didn't do it for me. Can't recommend it.

February 9, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Nutrition Profile
  • High Sodium
Everyone loves Quest Bars. They are probably one of the most popular protein bars on the market right now, and for good reason. Around 20g protein, 20g fiber, and 200-something calories, gluten-free, no sugar, and just about any other bases covered.

Effectiveness 9/10: So with all that in its macros, effectiveness is almost perfect. The only way it could improve is either a bump up to more protein or adding in vitamins and minerals like a few other bars out there.

Value 7/10: The going rate seems to be around 25 bucks for 12 bars. That's pretty decent and competitive with other high protein bars. The best deals I have seen (outside of trade shows mentioned below), is when GNC runs their 25% or 30% off items online. At 30% off, you can actually score these for under 20 bucks a box. 2.99 shipping there doesn't add too much to the overall cost, either.

Taste 6/10: Here is what brings my overall rating down to a 7. I have tried the cookie dough, chocolate brownie, and the newest flavor, cookies and cream. Cookie dough and cookies and cream I would rate around an 8 or 9/10 as far as protein bars are concerned. The cookies and cream is a lot closer to the cookie dough than I would have expected. Chocolate brownie is like a 4/10. It is exactly like the chocolate powerbars everyone used to have and nobody liked. If you think chocolate brownie is an amazing flavor, you should probably get your tastebuds checked, lol.

My biggest knock on all of the quest bars is the sodium content. I can actually taste the salt in the bars, especially in the cookies and cream. You get used to it after a while, but 300mg sodium in what is otherwise a healthy bar needs to be rethought. I just can't see why there would be so much salt for flavors that are supposed to taste sweet.

Summary: Great profile, could use added vitamins, I hate paying full price for them, dislike the salt content.

Good luck on finding your favorite flavor!

February 5, 2014

• Decreases Muscle Soreness
  • Increases Recovery
  • Too Many Scoops For Results
  • One Tub Does Not Last A Full Month For The Average User
What's up SR? Here's another bio-gro review in which I try not to rehash everything that's been said about this product yet ultimately end up rehashing 95% of what's already been said.

Bio-Gro is a new line of products from isatori under the category of bio-active peptides. It's supposed to elevate protein synthesis, thus reducing muscle soreness and help you make the gains.

Lots of reviewers have given great explanations of the profile and science supposedly behind these bio active peptides, so I'm just going to focus on my experience and lessons learn on its use.

I bought two tub...

I bought two tubs of this on a buy one get one sale, so price was decent. The first tub I followed the dosing at 2 scoops daily, one in the morning and one postworkout. I weigh about 165 so this was the suggested dosage. Now in my run of the first tub I wouldn't take this on non workout days in an attempt to stretch the amount of servings out. Saw a bit of reduced DOMS after about 2 weeks with this approach. Overall result of this approach was pretty mediocre.

On my second tub I upped to 3 scoops of bio gro a day and made sure to take it every single day. The difference was clear, and my recovery was much better, plain and simple. The downside is at 3 scoops a day, the tub only lasts 3 weeks, at it gets pricy at that point.

All in all, this product works, but you have to fiddle with the dosing and likely find out it is higher than suggested. For smaller guys like me, the price can certainly still be justified, especially now that it's been on the market and there are plenty of sales. But for bigger guys that need to take 4-6 scoops daily to get anything out of it, go splurge on some quality whey isolate and just take more of that.

February 3, 2014

• Artificial Taste
So here we have the protein from Muscle Pharm's Arnold Schwarzenegger Series, the first line of supps to have Arnold's name on them. Let's start with the ingredient profile:

Serving Size: 32.4g

Protein: 22g of Whey protein concentrate, Whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate

Carbs: 6g

Fat: 1g

Amino Matrix: Glycine, Taurine, 3:1:2 BCAA Blend

Serving Size: 32.4g

Carbs: 6g

Fat: 1g

Amino Matrix: Glycine, Taurine, 3:1:2 BCAA Blend

Let's start with the pros. The taste is pretty decent for a vanilla protein. It mixes well with minimal clumping and is pretty creamy. The vanilla is a bit artificial tasting but not otherwise offensive. It's definitely as effective as any other quality protein is.

Now let's get to the cons, or more accurately, why there are better options for the price you pay.

Let's start with some simple math here. 22+6+1=29g. Out of a 32.4g scoop, that leaves at most 3.4g for the added aminos, ignoring sweeteners and flavoring. So there are not many extra aminos, let alone the BCAAs. Not a big deal, since protein is chock full of aminos to begin with, but don't treat this inclusion as a selling point of the protein.

I got gas from this protein more than usual. If I had to suspect what was causing this, I would say it was the lactase included as the enzyme, as opposed to a different protein digesting enzyme. I'm no scientist, but I don't think lactase does anything as far as protein digestion goes.

At ~$48 for 5lbs, you are better off spending your money on Dymatize or ON, or anything with more protein and fewer carbs per scoop. Certainly worth picking up if you find it cheaper, but nothing stands out to give me a wholehearted recommendation

October 3, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pumps
  • No Stimulants
  • Works Really Fast Within 10 To 15 Minutes
  • Effective Dosages Of Everything
  • Little Pricey
There's always suspicion regarding Complete Nutrition reviews, especially when so many reviewers simply reviewed samples, so I'm going to do my best here to give an honest, albeit lengthy review. So stick around if you're interested.

Ingredients per 3 tabs:

L Ornithine HCl 250mg
L Citrulline Malate 150mg
Vanadyl Sulfate 15mg
Beta-Alanine 1.6g

So let's start off with the basics, where I will demonstrate my Wikipedia reading abilities. There are 1.6g of beta alanine, and that is definitely enough for it to be effective. Arginine AKG and HCl seem to be in decent amounts as well. Beta alanine increases blood flow and Arginine is the precursor to Nitric Oxide, so it's no surprise that these ingredients are present in good amounts here.

I don't know much about Ornithine and Citrulline other than they are fairly common preworkout ingredients. Finally, vanadyl sulfate is an interesting addition. Vanadium has been shown to mimic insulin, though it isn't a necessary dietary supplement. As far as this dosing goes, I believe if to be sufficient (though I personally don't think including it made any difference). There are vanadium tabs sold at GNC that only offer 1mg per pill so I'd say this is doing pretty well on dosage.

I give this an 8 on effectiveness because I absolutely got great pumps and it kicked in within 10 minutes, just like the bottle said it would. I love using this on shoulder days and seeing all dem striations across my delts, haha. The bottle also says you'll look vascular all day after taking this, but if you read closely on their website, Complete Nutrition recommends taking 4-8 tabs daily depending on weight. Well, no crap you're gonna look pumped all day if you keep devouring at that rate. I weigh 165 and the 3 tabs prior to workout is enough to sustain my pump.

Pricing:

As you all know, Complete Nutrition is mad expensive. Depending on where you are, this will cost between 50-70 bucks for 120 tablets, which is 40 servings. I bought them on a half-off sale and paid 35. It was an impulse buy, as I don't think you really need NO in your stack, but I'm pretty sure $35 for 40 servings is the limit at which I'll buy. That makes the price cheaper than Cellucor NO3 Chrome, and I like the supplement profile of this a bit more.

Recommendation:

Yes, I would recommend this product if you can find it for half off like I did. Even though I think these nitric oxide boosters aren't essential, I think the profile with the beta-alanine makes it a great stim-free, creatine-free preworkout if needed. I have begun using it for that purpose, so I've really been able to stretch out the servings in the bottle. Also, if you want to check out your mad aesthetic bicep peaks in the mirror all day when you lift, NX6 will get you there. If mirin' yourself is what it takes to get you to the gym, then I guess these NO products work after all.

Chances are if you ever find yourself looking for this at Complete Nutrition, they will tell you how awesome stacking NX6 with Buzzerk (check my review of that, too), but that's just because NX6 compensates for Buzzerk's weak beta alanine content. The more you know already, the less the salespeople there will push things onto you. One visit I saw a guy getting suckered into buying $150 worth of crap, but I digress...

Sorry for the length! I tried to do my best to keep it organized and provide as much detail as I could!

September 14, 2013

Cons:
    I'm gonna go out and say I have not finished the container, but I'm pretty sure I can write a fair review after being on this for two months...

I won't bore you with the details of what creatine is, and what it does, but just know that Bodytech's works. It is a simple, no frills creatine where you take 5g a day and voila! The results happen over time.

Taste: This stuff is flavorless. Don't go putting a spoonful in your mouth though.

Mixability: Mixability is about par for the course among monohydrate, which is to say it is not completely soluble. It is important to understand that solubility in water does not directly correlate to body absorption, as almost 100% of creatine will get absorbed. So no need to worry there.

Effectiveness: I have made strength gains, most notably in bench. There is bloating on this supplement, so if that's an immediate turnoff I suggest something like EFX Kre-Alkalyn. When I came off of creatine (which you don't need to cycle), my muscles hardened noticeably as I lost the water weight my muscles were holding.

Value: I got 500g for 10 bucks. Regular price is 14 bucks, and sometimes there are buy one get one 50% off deals as well. I will say that buying larger tubs of ON or Dymatize creatine will come out cheaper from online retailers, but it's damn hard to beat the convenience of picking this up at my vitamin shoppe across the street.

So there you have it. No need to reinvent the wheel on creatine.

August 25, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Nice Pump
    • Artificial Taste
    Disclaimer: This review is on the Assault with the 23g serving size. They have since reformulated into a new serving size of 14.5g and made several ingredient changes.

Hi guys. If you look at my reviews, my first review was on Complete Nutrition Buzzerk Raspberry Lemonade. That product was fairly solid but nothing really stood out in the performance category. But afterwards, I went on a search for a different preworkout "matrix," one that combines your typical preworkout, BCAAs, and some carbs and electrolytes to fuel your workout. That brought me to MusclePharm Assault. Also Complete Nutrition is expensive as balls, and Assault was on sale for 50 bucks, 120 servings. How could a guy say no?

This product was overall very effective. I had no problems experiencing solid pumps and energy. The energy lasted a bit too long in the evening, however, and sometimes would affect my sleep. Nothing against the product, more like a testament to its potency. Now I realized what I was missing with Buzzerk.

So why the 6 stars if effectiveness and value are both 8s? I docked one point off for the taste. It is neither raspberry nor lemonade. It tastes sorta cough syrupy, and the "lemonade" flavor is strictly just sourness. As weak as my Buzzerk was, the taste was pretty damn good. Usually I'm not a huge stickler for taste, but if you're going to make a 23g serving and throw it in a 3lb tub, I'd expect for it to be more palatable.

The second point I took off was because of its "proprietary blend." The ingredients are listed, and nothing else about them is mentioned. I'd at least like to know how much creatine and caffeine is in what I'm taking. The product was nonetheless effective, but I'm a supporter of transparency. Other reviewers below have also questioned how much of the creatine blend is actually Con-Cret, and so on and so forth. The new formula does a much better job on the label, so I would not hold it against them now.

All in all, a highly effective preworkout! Unfortunately I could not wait to get through it for the reasons of taste.

July 28, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Like Frosting
    • Deceptive Labeling
    I got Phase8 from BB.com with one of their BOGO specials. The reviews below me do a good job on the technical aspects, so I'll try not to delve too much into that.

I spent 30 bucks for 2 lbs and saw that BB.com users had rated this stuff a 9.1/10, or something like that. Without hesitation, I ordered myself some of the vanilla.

Muscletech claims on their packaging no fillers. Then why are you adding taurine and maltodextrin?!?!! Seriously. This results in 26g protein, 7g carbs, and 2g fat. This is what you pay for, and after all you get what you pay for. This is why I rate the value a 5. If you're looking to keep carbs low during a cut, this won't be good for you.

Overall effectiveness is a 5. Protein is protein, though I'm upset about how they mention no fillers...Muscletech really shouldn't.

On the plus side, the vanilla flavor tasted like vanilla frosting and was quite delicious. But you're not supposed to drink protein for flavor, so I recommend choosing something more effective next time.