jake-martin

• Reputation is somewhat low. (+21)
  • Was an active member for 1 year, but hasn't been online since November, 2017
  • Member has only posted 3 reviews
  • Low community participation

Reviews by jake-martin

November 2, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fish Oil Burps
  • Solid Dosage
    I'm a heavy lifter, mainly in the ~5 rep range with some higher rep outs (ie Wendler's 5,3,1 is my go-to template) as well as a competitive combat sports enthusiast, so lots of short bursts of intense activity. Also been incorporating lots of recovery work (longer 30-60 min walks, as much for my dog's health as my own recovery) so sleep supplements are higher on my list for recovery purposes.

It's Fish Oil, so ...fish oil! Gets you roughly 300mg of actual EPA/DHA in 1 gram of overall Fish Oil. I believe in taking ~3 grams of EPA/DHA per day, so you're looking at 10 per day. Split between meals, it's ~2 pills per meal.

It's fish oil! They're slightly on the larger size, so if pill size is an issue I'd go for a more concentrated EPA/DHA formula. I don't ever have issues with fish oil burps, so no problems for me and no issues with GI side effects from the softgel.

Again, it's fish oil. It is in my 3 "required" supplements for a basic, healthy, diet (Fish Oil + Whole Food Multi + Protein). It helps with brain health, joint health, glycogen replenishment/insulin support, antioxidant support, cardiovascular/heart health, body composition...If there was ever a supplement that I would recommend to 99.99999% of the world population, this would be it (besides a clean nutrition based diet).

This is where the product shines. As I mentioned, not the most dose/effectiveness, but when you combine the amount of the bottle + price + ingredient profile, it's probably my #2 or #3 for "Bang for your buck" fish oil. You have to take more to reach effective dose, but the price is lower which more than compensates.

Side Effects

None noticed for me, never have issues with fish oil. However, some may get "fish burps" so to avoid (plus, generally good to take with a meal anyway to avoid burning the fish oil fat for fuel) take with food.

Conclusion

I feel like "Bang for your buck" fish oil supplement is the best way to sum this up. It's not the one you want if you want to minimize the amount of pills you're taking, but if you don't mind taking a handful of softgel caps in order to save some money, this is a great choice.

November 2, 2016

• Good Amino Profile
    • Good For Home Made Weight Gainer.
    • Good Nutrient Profile
    • Builds Mucle
    • Excellent Combo Of Whey And Casein
    • Added Fiber Blend
    • Clumping
    • Not Enough Aminos
    • Proprietary Blends
    • Bland Taste
    I'm a heavy lifter, mainly in the ~5 rep range with some higher rep outs (ie Wendler's 5,3,1 is my go-to template) as well as a competitive combat sports enthusiast, so lots of short bursts of intense activity. Also been incorporating lots of recovery work (longer 30-60 min walks, as much for my dog's health as my own recovery) such as SMR/foam rolling, static/dynamic stretching, etc.

It's a protein, so what we're here for is the protein source. It's a blend of Whey Protein Concentrate/Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate/Casein for faster digesting/slower digesting protein sources. Not the highest quality sources (it's clear it is primarily Whey Concentrate, as it's higher in the list, and roughly 50% of Milk Protein Isolate is Whey anyway...Casein the lowest on the list), but it's a solid combo for value overall protein supplementation. Some may not like the added fiber sources, which has 3g per 21g of protein coming from Maize Dextrin and Inulin primarily as the top 2 ingredients. I, personally, like the added fiber for A) getting more fiber and B) slowing the digestion of the protein, if only a little.

Ok, this is the biggest drawback. I'm a big Vanilla guy, as I like the use my "all day" protein blends as a flavor base. The French Vanilla isn't good, it isn't bad, it's just "meh". Really, closer to unflavored than flavored. Compared to even Dymatize's other blends Vanilla, it is definitely sub-par. When mixed with Peanut Butter / Cocoa Powder or Sugar Free Pudding flavorings, though, it serves its purpose. The mixability sucks, you get clumps and it gets thick FAST, even with the recommended liquid (if you see any of my other reviews, i tend to go as low on the liquid as possible). So prepare for having a little "extra" liquid for wiggle-room in mixability.

Solid effectiveness. I mean, it's basically a food supplement, and the ingredient profile supports this. I use it as a general protein supplement for meals, and it's perfect for that with the mix of faster digesting Whey and slower digesting Casein.

I usually buy bulk protein from sites where you can mix your own blends/flavors, as it's the best dollar value usually. The fact that I keep going back to Dymatize Elite Gourmet speaks volumes. It's still not the best value, can't beat bulk for that, but for a nice pre-blended "all day" protein blend with some added fiber that you can pick up in brick/mortar stores or online retailers who offer free 2 day shipping (You know, that River company taking over EVERY consumer market?) it's hard to beat.

Side Effects

If you have issues with Protein Concentrates (ie: GI Issues from higher lactose levels) or Maize / Inulin fiber sources, maybe take it easy on this stuff. I have an iron gut and never have issues with this, so no side effects noticed for me.

Conclusion

Overall, a good value "all day" protein supplement. Decent mix of fast/slow digesting protein, mix it with some Egg Whites and you've got your Fast/Medium/Slow sources covered. Added fiber is a plus for me, but may be a minus for others, depends on goals. Flavor, at least for French Vanilla, is the worst part as it's just bland. Mixability is a little on the lower side (harder to mix) but this is likely the added fiber and Casein protein, so it's expected, just not a pro. Those are the worst things I can come up with for this protein blend, so it's a good one to have on hand or to be able to pick up in a pinch.

October 31, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Deep Restful Sleep
    • Happy
    • Uniterrupted Sleep
    • No Sleep Hangover
    • Deep Rem Sleep
    • Well Balanced Sleep Aid Ingredients
    • Relaxed
    • Minor Clumps And Residue
    • Price Could Be Better
    • Some Ingredients Are Definitely Underdosed
    • Didn't Knock Me Out

Solid ingredient profile, the Maca and Phenibut are the standouts here and primarily where I feel the effectiveness comes from. The problem is that Phenibut builds tolerance FAST, and dependency issues show up within as few as 2-3 days for some unlucky folks, so it MUST be cycled. The recommendation from the manufacturer is 5 on / 2 off, but I feel that's probably a little too liberal for some. Though the Phenibut dosage is only 500mg, and we don't know if that's HCL or FAA (some say FAA is more potent bioavailability wise), I'd still keep it to 2-3 days a week to stay safe with keeping effectiveness and avoiding dependency/tolerance issues.

Also includes GABA, but I don't believe it passes the blood brain barrier much at all - though combined with Phenibut, which is essentially GABA which can pass the blood brain barrier, that may very well increase the effectiveness.

Finally, there's the "Leucine Trifecta" which consists of instant release and "time release" L-Leucine. I'm a big proponent of supplemental L-Leucine to increase protein absorption, so I love this inclusion though it pretty much requires as pre-bed protein source (which I like to time ~30 minutes after the Resurrect PM, after taking Resurrect on an empty stomach).

Terrible at mixing, I like to keep it shot-level as far as liquid size goes...because if you combine 8oz for this product + another 8-12oz for a pre-bed protein shake, the urge to get up and take a leak is annoying. So if you're like me, you end up with a bunch of clumps you have to toss and wash - which isn't bad, but its mixed strong flavor wise so prepare for some tart-ness and a very blue mouth.

Very effective, you don't so much notice it if you go to bed within an hour of taking it as suggested, since Phenibut tends to take 2-5 hours to kick in. You'll definitely notice your deep sleep levels increase, I track mine with a movement based sensor so I can tell the difference. Won't knock you out, but it'll put you in deep sleep and keep you there.

Value isn't bad, considering you have to cycle it so the 25 doses per container lasts much longer than you'd think. Compared to bulk Maca and bulk Phenibut, though, it's not a great value. For convenience and flavor, a "one stop shop" sleep supplement, it increases the value quite a bit. $1 a night isn't too bad in my opinion.

Side Effects

None noticed, though if you're particularly affected by Phenibut expect a next day "afterglow" which can be quite pleasant (low level euphoria, anxiolytic properties).

Conclusion

Overall, I'm pleased and was surprised by how much I enjoyed the product. I'm done with my bottle, having dosed at both recommended (1 scoop) and higher level (3-5 scoop, granted I was definitely pushing into "recreational after glow" territory here and don't recommend it, just buy bulk Phenibut for this purpose!) and will likely pick up another in the future. Not a constant product, but one I'll cycle in-and-out so I have it maybe once or twice a week, with other supplements to - well, supplement it, on off days.