davidian

• Member has been active for 6 years, and was last online this week

Reviews by davidian

June 13, 2018

QUICK SUMMARY

A prop blend ingredient profile that doesn't really excite but the results justify the purchase.

INTRODUCTION

Good evening SR community (it always seems to be late at night when I get a chance to do these), tonight I will be putting down my review for Lecheek Nutrition Amino GO, Lecheek's take on a BCAA supplement with a bit of added energy. This seems to be the flavour of the month (or year) at the moment, with plenty of supplement companies bringing out some form of BCAA supplement with some energy component included. Let's see how it goes.

T...
QUICK SUMMARY

INTRODUCTION

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 8/10

The ingredient profile in Amino GO is nothing to write home about. To kick us off there's 5g of a 'Recovery Matrix' which you think sweet, here come the BCAAs. You have micronized versions of L-Taurine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine and L-Tyrosine. Out of them the BCAAs are Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. There's also some beta alanine thrown in there (non-patented version, not CarnoSyn), sweet right? Well the accepted minimum dose of BCAAs on their own is 5g, and in Amino GO you have 5g of all this stuff. So without knowing exactly how much of each ingredient is present in this blend, you know that you aren't getting at least 5g of BCAAs. Which means a single serving is unlikely to be enough to see any significant benefits.

There's also a 175mg prop blend of some energy ingredients included. The short of this is 75mg of caffeine going in per scoop. This has implications to your other supplements, which I'll discuss later on in the dosage section.

TASTE - 10/10

I picked up Amino GO on a BOGO and picked Blue Water (cos why wouldn't you?) and Fruit Punch. Both flavours are pretty damn amazing. I would buy Kool aid by the gallon if they made it in Blue Water flavour, it's pretty damn epic. The Fruit Punch is one of the best Fruit Punch flavours ive tasted too.

MIXABILITY - 10/10

No issues with stuff remaining unmixed in the bottom of the shaker. No issues with clumping as I went through the containers. Cant fault the product here.

DOSING

This section will be a little longer than my normal dosage sections, so settle in. Looking at the ingredient profile I immediately thought 1 scoop isn't going to do it for me. I know I need at least 5g of straight BCAAs and personally I like to take around 10g to really see the effectiveness. The problem with doing this with Amino GO means 2 scoops is giving you 150mg of caffeine, so taking it as an intra means you need to consider your pre-workout and it's stimulant content so you don't end up peaking off your head. Initially I dosed Amino GO 1 scoop as an intra workout after taking a lower dose of my pre-workout to give me about 350mg of caffeine, which is about my limit. I felt this really affected the pre-workouts effectiveness so I ended up taking 2 scoops of Amino GO 3-4 hours prior to my workout, then taking my pre as per normal. This gave me the required BCAAs but also allowed me to get full effectiveness out of my pre. This is my issue with BCAA's with a 'medium' amount of stims in them. I feel if you are going to put stims in go the whole hog and let me use a stim-free pre without worry, or put no stims in and let me use my pre as per normal. I understand the reasoning behind putting in a little kicker of stims, and that is so this can be drunk as a recovery product at any time during the day and not necessarily when you are working out and need a pre level of stims, but for me it makes it hard to work in.

EFFECTIVENESS - 8.5/10

Energy - The energy I got from Amino GO was a little limp to be honest. I know 75mg of caffeine isn't going to do much for you, but even at 2 scoops I didn't really feel like I was getting too much out of it. I could have probably bumped it to 3 scoops and then the stims might have kicked in a bit harder, and I would have had 10-15g of BCAAs aswell, but the value of the product would take a beating.

Endurance - I hardly felt the beta alanine after taking Amino GO, so I'm going to say the level isn't the 3.2g clinical dose. Also, being the non-patented form would also diminish the effectiveness. I feel like 3.2g of CarnoSyn tingles me significantly harder than 3.2g of non-patented form, which makes it easy to pick up whether someone has used CarnoSyn or non-patented beta alanine.

Recovery - At 1 scoop there was a nice improvement in recovery, but it was not out of this world. At 2 scoops the recovery was much improved, to the point you were certain you were taking BCAAs and getting a benefit from them. I have been mixing up my workouts a lot to keep my muscles on their toes, as well as doing a lot of physical outdoor work, so had I not been taking a BCAA supplement I would have been much sorer than I was. Obviously the value of the product is reduced taking 2 scoops, but for me the effectiveness was worthwhile. No point taking something that doesn't do it for you, right? I had also been working on improving my 1RMs which means heavy stress on my muscles over a short period, then rest and recover to try and improve the next week, which I certainly did. The recovery aspect of Amino GO surely helped me here.

VALUE - 1 scoop = 9.3/10, 2 scoops = 8/10

I picked up my BOGO of Amino GO off A1 for $20, so $10/tub for 30 servings. That's pretty unbeatable value for a BCAA supplement, regardless of the ingredient profile having a prop blend. Even at 2 scoops that's $0.50/serving, which is damn solid. If you are interested in the stim kick then the value would improve even more for you. A1 are still running this promo right now (13/06/18), if you are thinking of trying this product, you cannot go past that deal. A1 have actually put up a new deal of 5 cans of Amino GO for $39.95. That's 150 servings for $40. This is not an ad for A1 but with that deal, you're actually killing muscles by not buying it. My value ratings are for the non-deal price of Amino GO, which is between $23-30/tub, which is more in line with standard BCAA products, but at the moment it's a no-brainer to buy it on the deal.

CONCLUSION - 8/10

Amino GO is a solid performing BCAA + energy supplement that if you can make work with your other supplements it can be very beneficial to your supplement stash. The prop blend takes away from the efficiency of the product, but double-scooping solves that issue. The biggest issue I found with Amino GO is figuring out how to make it work with a stimmed pre-workout so that you don't overload on the stims/caffeine. If you can slot it into your stack then with the current deals on for Amino GO you almost have to take up the offer. Would I buy this product with my own money? With the current deals I already have, so the answer is a resounding yes, even if I have to double-scoop. At the 'normal' price, I'd probably look elsewhere to be honest. Would I recommend this product to others? Depending on their requirements, it may fit into their stack well. At the current deal price, I cant encourage people enough to buy this and give it a go. In closing, I would have liked Lecheek to put in a full 5g of the BCAAs and then the rest could be whatever they wanted, but for the price the effectiveness is pretty solid.

May 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Focus
  • Good Energy
  • Half-decent Pump
  • Taste Gets Bad
Quick summary:

An underwhelming profile stuck in the almost-extinct prop blend world that surprisingly delivers excellent focus and a decent pump.

Introduction:

Quick summary:

Introduction:

Good evening SR community, today I will be reviewing my first bounty product which is an EHP Labs preworkout product called RP Max. There's currently a bit of a void in the EHP Labs section of SR.com, so I thought seeing I found a decent deal on RP Max I would pick it up and help out. To be honest the profile of RP Max did not excite me at all, I mean 4215mg of a prop blend as a pre workout in 2018, no one should really get excited about that these days. On the other hand, I like to give stuff a chance, and I had a bit of a gap between PWOs in my supp cabinet so why not hey?

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 7/10

You really cant give RP Max much more than that based on the back of the label. They've done the old list the amount of sodium, a few vitamins n stuff at the top, then bang out the prop blend and throw all the stuff that does something in there with no amounts. I do find it amusing that for all the ingredients they've actually listed the amounts on, they've done the amounts per serving and also per 100g, just in case you wanted to know how much you'd be taking if you wanted to die, or something. Anyway, about the prop blend. Well it's 4215mg, and you look at the first 2 ingredients (Carnosyn and Taurine) and you instantly think yup, this gon be under-dosed hard. Without knowing how much of each ingredient is in there it's impossible to confirm, but you do the sums and it works out (or doesn't). Anyway, the stuff that's in there is good, Carnosyn and Taurine as mentioned above, Choline Bitartrate, L-Tryosine, Caffeine and a few stim/focus things like guarana, yerba mate and black pepper extract. The interesting this is that Vit C, Biotin, Niacin, B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, B12 and Folic Acid are listed in the prop blend, but their amounts are listed above the prop blend. Strange and I don't really have an answer as to why that's be done like that. In closing, underwhelming.

TASTE - 6/10

I had the Citrus Margarita flavour. It was very chemical and seemed to get worse and worse as I went through the tub. It was average to start with, and was a chore to down by the end of the tub. I was happy to move on from it. There was a slight chemical after taste.

MIXABILITY - 8/10

When mixed in a shaker cup I found there was a few undissolved bits at the bottom, which was unfortunate. I also found that the product would froth up a little bit, despite there being no Leucine in the formulation, so you needed to wait a minute or 2 before downing to get the whole purchase down.

DOSING

I have an accurate set of scales in the kitchen, so I always weight out my stuff. The scoop size is spot on, 6.5g was a level scoop. I started with just under a scoop, and ended up on a heaped scoop, which got me in the spot. I would take RP Max about 20-30mins before working out, although I did seem to get better results if I gave it an extra 5-10mins to kick in before I hit the gym.

EFFECTIVENESS - 9/10

FOCUS - 9.5/10

So RP Max is legit when it comes to focus. This is without doubt the most impressive component to this PWO, and surprisingly so. The combination of stimulants and focus ingredients really dialled me in to my workouts. I was zoned into whatever I had to do in that particular workout, in a way I haven't felt from a PWO for a while. I wouldn't say it was DMAA type focus, but certainly punching well above its weight in terms of what the ingredient profile offered on face value. Focus was sustained throughout the workout and beyond, excellent.

ENERGY - 8/10

Whilst the focus was really impressive, the energy was just good. 20-30mins after taking RP Max I could feel myself 'wake up' and be ready for gym. The energy was probably not as long-lasting as I would have liked, I would get about an hour out of it before I would start to wind down, which wasn't too bad as my focus was still firing, but I could feel the energy levels slowly dying down.

PUMP - 8/10

This was really surprising to be honest. I had a half-decent pump from RP Max. Now, I will admit that at times I did mix up my PWOs, so I would take RP Max on most days but some days I would take a full-spectrum PWO which included significant pump ingredients, so potentially there may be some carryover there, but the pump was so consistent through the tub of RP Max I have to attribute at least some of this to it. I also think the Focus element helped a lot with the pump, as I was dialled in to bashing my muscles and that always helps with a good pump regardless of if there are pump ingredients or not.

ENDURANCE - 8.5/10

Taking into account Focus and Energy and endurance was pretty good. It wasn't outstanding and after 90mins of hard work I was pretty shot and didn't really feel like going back for more, but RP Max did get me through the 90mins I needed to be there. There was some drop off towards the end of my workout through.

VALUE - 8.8/10

RP Max can be found in a few places online for around the $50 mark, less with discount coupons and deals. Based on that price and the fact you get 50 servings from a tub (and don't need to double dose really) that's pretty good value. I wanted to give value a 9/10 but with the profile I just couldn't, so 8.8 it is. In Australia you're paying around $60-70 a tub.

SIDE EFFECTS

None to report, no issues with the toilet after taking or anything else nasty. If I took too much I'd over stim myself but that's my issue not a fault of the product.

CONCLUSION - 8.5/10
RP Max really surprised me with its effectiveness in terms of focus and unbelievably, pump. I have not felt the kind of focus RP Max gave me for a while, and all from a prop blend profile that seemed seriously under-dosed. For the price you pay for RP Max you're looking at close to $1/serving, which is pretty good value in my opinion. RP Max would be a great PWO to keep in your stash for when you want something different, or when you need some serious focus for that big squat or deadlift day. It would also be a really good base to stack with a pure pump product to really push you in your workout. Would I buy RP Max with my own money? As a backup PWO or something to switch it up, yeah I would. It would be a good tub to have in the stash for when I needed something different and 50 servings means it'll last ages. Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, it's a great product that gives you 50 servings and even though it's in a prop blend it really works.

Overall
Overall
9.5
9.5
  April 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Transparently Dosed
  • Endurance
  • Increased Strength
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Clean Energy
  • Premium Price
Good evening SR community, it's time for me to review a pre-workout I had been keen to try for a long time, Nutrex Research Outlift. With all the high-quality, clinically-dosed pres on the market at the moment, which is a good thing mind you, the profile of Outlift had been on my radar for quite a while. With the negative press around Nutrex in Australia (see below) and just the sheer cost of supplements (and Outlift is never on a deal), I had to wait my time until I found something semi-reasonable to bite the bullet and give it a go.

QUICK BACKGROUND

So going back a few years ago, one o...

QUICK BACKGROUND

So going back a few years ago, one of our top-tier footballers was banned for 18 months for taking a banned substance on game-day. That product was a pre-workout and was found out to be a Nutrex product, which made our supplement-ignorant public here go off the brand for a while. Nutrex stuff is still not easy to find in Australia, and is quite expensive (see value section). This is a shame because I've used other Nutrex products before and I've found the company to be very solid in the way they formulate and market their products.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9.7/10

What else do you want in this thing? Firstly, it's 25g of goodies, none of this 5g gulp and pray prop blended stim potion that might work one day and might crack you out the next. Nhansen22 has nailed the individual ingredients, even going as far as posting up his sources, so please take a look at those sources if you so desire. Personally, I loved seeing clinical doses of the major pre workout ingredients that work - 8g cit mal, 3.2g carnosyn, 5+ grams of BCAAs, 2g taurine and enough caffeine to kick you in the pants. The creapure is a little under-dosed in my opinion at 3g (I'd have 5g), and I'm not sure 2g of creapure was going to make much of a difference to the cost of this pre in terms of raw materials, but meh, I'll just add 2g of my bulk creapure in. Finally rounded off with 5mg of bioperine for enhanced absorption, although personally I would swap this out for Astragin. All in all though, 25g of pure quality, congrats Nutrex. Finally, no dyes is a big winner aswell, for my shaker cup and also my insides. Minimal flavouring is also a big tick.

TASTE - 10/10

I had the blue raspberry flavour, and this stuff was amazing. I don't know if you guys get fruit tingle lollies over there in the states, but this was like those fuzzy fruit tingles I loved as a kid. It gets a 10 because I don't think it would be possible to improve on blue raspberry in a supplement drink after taking Outlift. If I could grow a pair and take this straight to the dome I would. If Nutrex made a BCAA supplement in this flavour I would buy it by the box.

MIXABILITY - 9.5/10

Very minimal settling, just on the sides and was easily swirled in. I use a shorty BB.com shaker to mix up my pres, and every time I'd mix this up, shake it and then pop the cap the cap would almost explode off, making a poof sound, like this baby was just begging me to slam it down and go smash some weights. I don't know how else to describe it, it made a sound like the pre wanted to get out and into my body.

DOSING

It's a 1-scooper, nuff said. Never found the desire to go over 1 scoop, always had results from 1 scoop. I didn't build a tolerance to this which required more stims.

EFFECTIVENESS - 9.5/10

I'm getting a bit tired of giving this product such high scores. This stuff works, and worked every time. This workout is like the deadlift. There's no cheating, there's no maybe today maybe not, it's the same thing every single time. And that's good. I've broken down the main criteria below:

FOCUS - Outlift had me dialled in from about 20mins after ingesting. I wouldn't say it was on rails semi-crackhead focus, but it gave me the jolt to say hey, you're here to do a job, you go do that job. I didn't feel this fall away as I went through the tub, and the focus was consistent for the full length of my workouts, some of which can go 90 minutes.

ENERGY - 350mg of caffeine and 150mg of N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine is going to give you a wake up. And it did, every time. I reckon I could have taken a little more stim, but not much more, so it was pretty spot on for me from Nutrex. Energy was consistent through the workout, with no crash afterwards, and I would feel energized for 3-4 hours after the workout. Having said that, I work out at 430 in the afternoon and head to bed about 10pm and never had any issues sleeping, so the stims didn't keep me up all night.

PUMP - Well come on, seriously? If 8g of cit mal isn't going to do it for you then you either don't respond to cit mal, or you need to re-evaluate what you're doing in the gym. Truth be told, I like cit mal, but the nitrates really give me a banging pump, so the pump from Outlift was very good as opposed to outstanding. I am not a very vascular person and I most definitely had increased vascularity on Outlift. Probably a little disappointing is that the pump would die down quickly after a workout, as opposed to some other pre products with more than 1 true pump ingredient. I would normally have a shower 2-3 hours after my workout after I've had dinner and put my kid to sleep, and if I still have troubles moving around in a shower and using the soap due to pump at that point, then I know it's a damn good pump product. Outlift was not in this category. On that note, N-Vein by Nutrex was a pump product that did give me an outstanding pump, possibility to stack these 2? Maybe something to try next time.

VALUE - 9/10

I have to put my hand up and say I found this on a great deal locally, so I paid the equivalent of about $50/tub (normally the RRP is AUD$70 so close enough to USD$60) which is great value in Australia. In the states, this is averaging between $30-40, which I consider to be pretty damn good value for such a comprehensive pre, even if it's only 20 servings, especially with 5+ grams of BCAAs as part of the formula. I understand that's close enough to $2/serving in some cases, but I'd rather take 1 scoop of this than double-scoop a prop blended pre that $1/serving.

SIDE EFFECTS

None to report here, aside from the great taste ending once I'd downed the serving and having to wait for the next workout to take it again. No toilet issues, gas or bloating. Another big tick for Nutrex to get all the raw materials working together without side effects.

CONCLUSION - 9.5/10

I love fully-dosed pre workouts, and I loved taking Nutrex Outlift. It's seriously one of the best fully-dosed pres I've taken. I wonder how amazing this profile would have been in the 1,3 DMAA days, you'd be unstoppable. Would I buy Outlift again with my own money? Hell yeah! Would I recommend Outlift to others? Absolutely, this stuff is the real deal. Thanks once again Nutrex for providing us with a great pre workout.

March 14, 2018

• Mixability Of Cookies And Cream Flavour
Hello SR community. Today I will be submitting a review for Quest Protein Powder, a product I had been very keen to try for a number of years but has either been unobtainable or ridiculously expensive which has kept me from giving it a go. Everyone knows Quest protein bars are the benchmark in protein bars in terms of taste, and I'm partial to a whole box of cookies and cream if I don't stop myself. So how would the protein powder stack up? Let's find out.

QUICK BACK STORY

QUICK BACK STORY

Quest protein bars retail for around $4 a pop here in Australia. That's expensive. If it's a good deal you can sometimes get a box of 12 for $33-35, which brings down the price a bit, but still expensive compared to the states. When Quest Protein Powder is available in Australia, it's $60-70 for a 2lb tub. That's proper expensive. I had a trip to Hawaii last year for a wedding so naturally stocked up on reasonably priced supplements like I normally do when I visit the states. This time we took our 3 month old son, including his pusher in a heavy-duty case, which gave me plenty of space to stash protein containers in on the way back, which I fully took advantage of, hence being in a position to pick up Quest protein powder.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 8/10

This is not your super-lean protein powder, let's be clear about that straight up. But it doesn't claim to be. 7g of carbs per 28g serving is on the high side, and 1.5g of fat is on the low end. This is for the Cookies and Cream, which is the flavour I bought. Some of the other flavours have as low as 3g of carbs, which is a much leaner option. You have to remember though that Quest products usually taste magnificent, and while there is some black magic involved they aren't able to do the impossible and make a great tasting product without any drawbacks.yet.

TASTE - 10/10

Yup, right on the money from Quest, as long as you dose it properly. It tastes like you expect it to, and just like the protein bars it's a magical oreos taste you crave more of. Of course I cant comment on the other flavours, but if they are like any other Quest product they will taste amazing.

MIXABILITY - 6/10

The problem when you put chunks of chocolate or whatever it is into a protein powder, is that it's going to want to settle. When you mix that up in water and the protein powder fractions dissolve, you get the leftover choc bits that settle out even quicker. It's not ideal, and means you need to continually swirl the shaker, and even then you end up with choc chunks in the bottom when you're done. To be fair, Quest market this product as being great for baking as well as shakes, and for that purpose mixability is a bit of a moot point because you're making brownies or a loaf or pancakes or whatever. But as for mixing as a protein drink, it's not great. I would imagine other flavours like vanilla and chocolate and anything without chunks in it would mix up really well.

DOSING

I found the dosing of Quest protein powder to be quite difficult to get right. Due to the high level of casein protein (I assume) there was a fine line between adding too little water and it frothing up and being too thick to drink, and adding too much water and getting it going really watery and dilute, making it unpleasant to drink. This seems to be common with a lot of casein proteins, although I found Quest protein powder to have a finer range to play with than other products. I did dose Quest protein powder 1 scoop with 1 scoop of bulk vanilla WPI at times. This gave me a really nice tasting product, and obviously made the tub go longer, allowing me to enjoy the great taste for longer.

EFFECTIVENESS - 8/10

Effectiveness of a protein powder is difficult to judge. A lot of the time it's more if a protein powder product affects you negatively more than positively, as the changes between 1 and another can be quite subtle. For me, as long as my soreness does not increase and I don't have any negative sides like gas or bloating etc, then it's doing its job of helping me get my amount of protein in per day. Quest protein powder did not negatively affect me in any way, aside from always leaving choc chunks in the bottom of my shaker cup that I really wanted to get out and eat because they tasted some damn good. My recovery and soreness did not noticeably change one way or another whilst taking this product. My weight and body composition also remained similar, indicating to me the protein powder was as effective as any other quality protein powder on the market.

SIDE EFFECTS - 10/10

Nothing to report here. No gas, bloating or other ill-effects whilst taking this product.

VALUE - 8.5/10

You can get a 2lb tub of this stuff for as low as $24.99 which will get you 8lb for $100, or thereabouts. I don't consider that to be outstanding value, however it's a fair price I think for this quality of a product. A lot of the time it's more expensive than this, which diminishes the value. If you can get this on a BOGO I would definitely pick it up. I would recommend other flavours to the cookies and cream though, as much as I love the cookies and cream protein bars, there are better options in my opinion when it comes to the powder versions.

CONCLUSION - 8.5/10

Quest protein powder has that amazingly great taste Quest products are known for, with a decent enough profile (as long as you aren't on a cut and super-conscious about your carb intake) at a price that is comparable to other products in the market. As for the flavour I tried (cookies & cream) I found that the choc chunks that remained in your shaker, and the higher carb content of this flavour mean that I wouldn't buy this flavour again, but I would certainly look at other flavours in the future. Would I buy this product again with my own money? If I could find it on a good deal or a BOGO, and I could pick a different flavour, then I would absolutely consider this. Would I recommend this product to others? Regardless of if you've tried a Quest protein bar or powder before, I would recommend everyone tries a Quest protein powder, at least once. I'm yet to find a consistently better tasting powder out there. Thanks for reading guys.

Thanks to Neurella Labs, INC. for sending it out!
  March 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Focus
  • Mental Clarity
  • No Sides
  • No Dependence
  • Great For The Workplace
  • Great For Gym
    Good evening SR community, today I will be posting up a review for Neurella Labs Founders Edition, a natural nootropic product and probably the most interesting product I've reviewed this year, and one that I was excited to get my hands on. A big thank you to Neurella Labs for sending this product out through the TROOPs program and for being approachable throughout the logging process. I have not used a nootropic product for quite a while, so I was excited to give something new a go, and with something based on natural, patented ingredients, I had high expectations of Neurella. Let's get down to it.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9.8/10

I wont even begin to describe the individual ingredients in Neurella, because they have done without a doubt the best job I have ever seen a supp company do of doing this themselves on their website. I highly recommend you click on the below link if you are interested in this product to get a very good understanding of the ingredients contained within:

So I didn't just read through their ingredient list and leave it at that, I did a bit more digging to see what the recommended doses of these ingredients were, which isn't easy to do when you're talking about obscure ingredients compounded together into a product. Based on what I could find online (and some of the 'recommended EDs' varied wildly) Neurella has done a great job throwing together a well-dosed profile. I was really happy to see Huperzine-A, N-acetyl Cysteine and a patented form of Ashwagandha root+leaf (Sensoril) in the profile. Not to mention there's a heap of other patented ingredients in there, I cant really fault anything in this profile by reading the label, their website and doing some research on dosages. All that's left now is to see if it actually worked.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

As this is a pill product, taste and mixability aren't really a consideration, apart from any ill-effects like burps and burning after ingesting the pills. Neurella didn't give me any of these, I am glad to report. In terms of dosing, I dosed the entire container as per the directions on the label, which was 2 pills with breakfast and my multivitamin and another about an hour before my gym workout in the afternoons. I took 2 weeks after I finished the container to write the report to assess any post-supplement effects, and can report nothing out of the ordinary coming off Neurella, another tick for the product.

EFFECTIVENESS - 9/10

Alright, so this is where it all comes together. How did Neurella go effectiveness-wise. Well straight up, I found an increase in my alert-ness in the mornings, once I got to work I felt I was able to prioritize and organise my activities for the day with more clarity. It was not a full-bore semi cracked-out feeling some nootropics and/or stims have in the past, but just a smooth, calm feeling like 'ok I need to do this this and this and this is the order im going to do them and this is how im going to get them done' and as a person who has anxiety and always has that 'what if' feeling in the back of my mind slowing me down, I found this really positive. At first I thought OK yeah sure, this is what the product is supposed to do, so am I just getting a placebo effect? After this continuing for a few weeks and not wearing off, I was more convinced the product itself was doing its job really well. The defining factor was finishing Neurella and giving myself 2 weeks to assess its effectiveness, at which point I began to see the signs of my thought-process slowing down a little and going back towards 'normal'. Honestly, I was very impressed with the cognitive 'enhancement' Neurella provided me in the workplace.

The other place where I wanted to see Neurella perform was in the gym. I can sometimes get distracted in the gym, thinking too far ahead, or looking at the clock thinking I gotta get home and slam some chicken, or whatever (I don't bring my phone in with me as it would be a distraction too). Pre-workouts go one of 2 ways for me, they either focus me into tunnel-vision crazy, or they crack me out and I sit there sweating my pants off with the shakes. Neurella was really effective at focusing me and getting me back on track to what I am there to do, without any of the negative sides like excessive sweating, jitters or nausea feelings. Now, it was not a crazy focus like DMAA will give you, but as it was not a short-term dosed product like a pre-workout, I found the focus to be more consistent workout to workout and not something I would get used to over time. I was very impressed with the focus Neurella gave me in the gym and I found it to be an excellent combo when combined with a low-stim or stim-free pre.

VALUE - 8/10

High quality, patented ingredients dosed at effective level don't come cheap. Either direct from Neurella or on Amazon this is setting you back $50 for a months supply. That's not bad value for something that works as good as Neurella does, with the every day positive cognitive effects Neurella gave me, combined with the focus in the gym, I am happy to give a high value rating for Neurella. If you think about how much you'd be dishing out per month for a nootropic + a low stim pre, you'd probably end up somewhere around $50/month anyway, and you may/may not get the same effectiveness as Neurella gives.

SIDE EFFECTS - 10/10

Nothing to report here guys. No issues whilst taking the product, no issues coming off the product, no dependence or anything. Really big tick here as you cant say the same for a lot of other nootropics.

CONCLUSION - 8.8/10

I thoroughly enjoyed my time using Neurella and was pleasantly surprised with the positive cognitive effects during every day working life, as well as the positives in the gym. Neurella could be used simply as an every day mood and cognitive enhancer for your work, as well as in the gym. The slogan on the label 'nutritional food for your brain' is pretty spot on in my opinion. Would I buy this product again with my own money? Yes. Would I recommend this product to others? Definitely, for a range of people, not just people in the gym. Thanks once again to Neurella for giving me the opportunity to log their product, it's been a blast.

Thanks to NuLivScience for sending it out!
      February 27, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Reduced Inflammation
    • Stackable
    • A Bit Pricey If All You Do Is Lift
    Hello SR community, once again I am up for reviewing a product, and this time I will be reviewing a product from NuLiv Science called ActiGin. Firstly I would like to extend a big thank you to NuLiv Science who as part of the TROOPs program were kind enough to ship me a bottle of this to log. ActiGin is marketed as an endurance and recovery supplement using a single patented ingredient to reduce fatigue and inflammation, leading to longer stronger workouts and a faster recovery/reduced DOMS. I am always looking for the next recovery aid that gives me the great DOMS reduction that IGF-1 supplements like BioGro or a large dose of high-quality BCAAs do, so when ActiGin came up for logging I was very keen to look into this. Let's get into it.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

The single patented ingredient in ActiGin is 'Proprietary NLF-03' which is an isolated extract from Panax Notoginseng and Rosa Roxburghii (the ratio of which is not disclosed). There is 100mg of this extract per pill. The proprietary blend is claimed to help boost in-activity endurance by, without getting too technical, upping or spiking the Krebs cycle, which is used by the body to generate energy. There are claims about an increase in CS which is vital to the Krebs cycle of 47%, but they seem to be more geared towards longer endurance sports IE cycling and running, so I am not so sure how well these claims will be noticed in gym training. The proprietary blend is touted to reduce muscle inflammation following exercise IE better recovery/less DOMS by repartitioning glycogen to muscle stores and reducing the amount of cytokines which contribute to muscle soreness. This is where the studies were done on resistance-training, and where I think ActiGin would be useful for those of us that lift weights. I cant really give the ingredient profile a ranking, as it's a single ingredient, more than just saying that I think this ingredient has promise, otherwise I wouldn't have put my hand up to log it.

TASTE/MIXABILITY

These are small pills and I didn't have any issues with after-taste, burps or anything like that.

DOSAGE

For the first half of the bottle I dosed ActiGin at 1 pill (100mg), usually an hour before my training sessions. Towards the end of the bottle, which was also towards the end of my 12 week workout plan, the intensity of my workouts increased as I built everything together and it was at this point I increased the dosage to 2 pills an hour preworkout (200mg).

EFFECTIVENESS - 8/10

When dosed at 1 pill preworkout, I found that ActiGin had a slight effect of reducing my DOMS and speeding up my recovery. It was not out of this world shattering I don't have any DOMS let's train everything every day, but it was on par with taking a standard BCAA supplement. During this time my workout intensity was steadily increasing, so I should have noticed an increase in post-workout soreness, and I didn't really see this. I have to attribute this to ActiGin, to some extent at least. I didn't see any really endurance or intra-workout differences that I could attribute to ActiGin.

When I upped the dosage of ActiGin to 200mg preworkout, as well as upping my workout intensity, I found ActiGin did a pretty good job of reducing post workout muscle soreness and recovery between workouts. It was at the very least on par with the high quality BCAA/recovery products on the market. There were a few occasions when I took 200mg of ActiGin and a kitchen sink PWO that included at least 5g of BCAAs and AstraGin and I had great workouts and also great recovery the next day. DOMS weren't eliminated, but it was about as good as ive ever had, and I was kicking my own butt in the gym during my workouts so I wasn't having a tea party. This is where ActiGin really shone for me and where I would like to see it put into products in the future. Once again I didn't see any of the endurance benefits this product is touted to have, and if I ran this product again id get my mountainbike out and go for a few long rides to test it out.

VALUE - 7/10

This was always going to be where a product like ActiGin was going to fall down. How good is it, how much does it cost and most importantly how much of it do you need to take to make it actually worthwhile taking? ActiGin is not readily available, and I could find it on Amazon for $44.95 for a 60 pill bottle. At 100mg ED that's 60 days worth of servings or $0.75 per serving. That's not bad value for something you'd need to add to your intra or post workout stack. But I really found the effectiveness at 200mg which diminishes the value and puts ActiGin to around $1.50 per serving. If it worked great on its own that would be pretty good value, but $1.50 a pop plus some BCAAs and that's going to cost you, even though BCAAs + 200mg of ActiGin is a pretty solid intra/post workout stack.

CONCLUSION - 9/10

I really enjoyed my time using ActiGin and found it to be a solid recovery aid, especially when dosed at 200mg and combined with some BCAAs. I think ActiGin would be great in an intra or post workout product that incorporates it at 200mg and includes a clinical serving of BCAAs (at least 5g) or equivalent. If ActiGin was incorporated into a product like this then it would most definitely get my attention at the supplement store and would definitely be something I would consider purchasing over your standard intra/post products. Would I buy this product again with my own money? If it was incorporated into an intra/post, then yes. Would I recommend this to others? If someone was looking for an intra/post, and it had ActiGin in it as well as other well-dosed ingredients, then I would definitely tell them to consider it. Thanks for reading and once again thanks to NuLiv Science for giving me the opportunity to log their product.

Thanks to Nature Restore for sending it out!
      February 14, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Relaxation
    • All Natural
    • Flexible Dosing
    • Affordable
    • Prop Blend
    • High Melatonin Level
    Before I get into my review for Sleep Boost, I would like to thank Nature Restore for giving me the opportunity to log their product through the TROOPS program. I would also like to thank them for sending it so quickly to me so I could get right on it, so a promptly posted review is only fair from me.

OK, so I love sleep aids, and I've tried everything from single herbs like Valerian Root and 5HTP all the way up to the most hardcore stuff on the market dosed to the balls with Phenibut and GABA. For the most part, I respond better to the pharma chemicals as opposed to the natural herbs. While Sleep Boost is in the 'natural/herb' side of sleep supplements, I was still keen to give it a go as I would like to find something that works for me that isn't dosed up hard on Phenibut. Let's get into it.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 7/10

So Nature Restore have put together a multi-pronged ingredient profile, with some listed amounts of ingredients and a prop blend that is composed mostly of herbal ingredients. I have never used Magnesium Glycinate before, and it is well-dosed at 300mg, so I was keen to see its effects on me. L-Theanine at 50mg is a decent dosage, as other reviewers have mentioned below. I have used L-Theanine before, but only in conjunction with other, more powerful ingredients, so I felt its influence would be better tested in Sleep Boost without those other ingredients. Now here is where I start to have issues with Sleep Boost. Melatonin is listed at 6mg for a 3 pill serving. Studies show that as little as 2mg is enough to feel an effect. 6mg is therefore a lot. The biggest issue I have with the formulation is that the instructions say don't have more than 12 (!) pills a day. That's 24mg of melatonin. I find that sort of disclaimer at the top of the ingredient profile irresponsible, as ingested 24mg of melatonin on a daily basis is going to at the very least give you a decent sleep hangover. Finally, there's a prop blend with some herbs, the only one of which I've used before was Valerian Root. The prop blend is 1100mg, and Valerian root is down on the blend list, and I like to take my Valerian root between 600-1000mg, so you do the maths and figure out if there's going to be enough to really make a difference. It's not a bad ingredient profile, I just feel that Nature Restore wasn't sure if the other ingredients would work so they dosed up the melatonin to 'make' the product work.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING - 10/10

No issues with taste or mixability, they are pills. Dosing started at the recommended 3 pills 30mins to 1 hour before bed, and was increased to 5 pills eventually so that I could feel it working. At 10mg of melatonin a night I was unwilling to continue to increase the dosage just to see what might happen, however down below in effectiveness I'll explain that I felt I needed more of this for it to actually work the way I wanted it to.

EFFECTIVENESS - 7/10

So in short, Sleep Boost gave me a calming experience prior to bed and some improvement in my sleep duration and quality, but it was not the magic natural/herb based sleep aid I was hoping it would be. Initially on 3 pills I would feel a little bit of calmness and tiredness before bed, although I think there's a bit of a placebo effect going on. I didn't really feel that much of a deeper, more thorough sleep, nor did I feel any sort of sleep hangover in the morning after. After approximately 2 weeks like this, I upped the dosage to what I considered my limit on melatonin, which was 5 pills/10mg. At this dosage the calming and relaxation before bed was more noticeable, most likely due to the melatonin kicking in and the L-Theanine and Valerian Root being at a higher dosage. My sleep was improved to the point I was either not waking up, or waking up once or twice only instead of the multiple times I would normally wake up per night. I experienced some sleep hangover at this dosage, although it was nothing like what a high dose of Phenibut or GABA would give you. I would not call it a knock out sleep don't move for 8+ hours, which leads me to believe either the melatonin either doesn't work so well for me, or it does work and the rest of the ingredients, including the prop blend, are a little meh. Put it this way, I would be very nervous to take 10mg of melatonin and a proven sleep aid supplement like Phenibut if I had to wake up at a reasonable time the next morning, and that really sums up the effectiveness of Sleep Boost for me. Where I can see Sleep Boost being something I would consider again would be as a bridge between a phenibut containing sleep aid and the next sleep aid, whilst still wanting something to help with your sleep.

While Sleep Boost is targeted at a better, deeper sleep, I also took notice of any changes in my recovery. Naturally, a better sleep will give you better recovery, and that is where I found Sleep Boost to sit. I didn't see a marked improvement in my recovery on my time on Sleep Boost, and any improvement that I did see I would mostly attribute to just having a better sleep.

VALUE - 9/10

The value of Sleep Boost is great, 90 caps for around $20USD, assuming it will work for you at the recommended dosage of 3 pills. Once you start having to increase that dosage, the value begins to diminish. I still rank Sleep Boost quite highly for value because it does work, even though it's not a knock out sleep supplement.

CONCLUSION - 7.5/10

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Sleep Boost it did not give me the knock out sleep supplement effects that I was hoping this herb-based profile would. I found Sleep Boost was effective in calming and relaxing me prior to going to sleep, and at a higher dosage gave me an improved, deeper sleep without the hangover that other, more powerful sleep supplements have given me. My largest concern with Sleep Boost is the high level of melatonin in the ingredient profile, and the recommendation that you can take up to 24mg of melatonin a day. Based on that, I would find it hard to recommend Sleep Boost for someone else without the proviso that you take it easy on the dosage, as there's such a high level of melatonin ingested if you really up the dosage. Would I buy Sleep Boost with my own money? If I was after a bridging sleep aid supplement, then the value is really hard to go past, so I would definitely look at it. Would I recommend Sleep Boost to others? Yes, on the proviso that they kept the melatonin intake in check. Thanks for reading guys.

Thanks to Nature Restore for sending it out!
      February 10, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Quality Ingredients
    • Useful Individual Packets
    • Overall Wellness
    • Healthy Drink
    Good evening SR community, today I will be putting together and sharing my review for Nature Restore Roots, Nature Restores' effort on an all in one veggie/fruit supplement. Before I get into the review I'd like to give a big shout out to Nature Restore, for not only sending their product half way around the world for me to review, but to do it very quickly so I could get onto it ASAP. In turn I've tried to turn this review around as quick as possible to get it on the site.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9/10

This is a really tough ingredient profile to judge, for 2 reasons. The first one is simple, it's a prop blend, so you don't really know how much of each ingredient is in the product, you just know there's 12g of 'stuff' in each serving. That makes it difficult to gauge how much of each ingredient you're getting. The second reason this product is tough to judge ingredients-wise is due to the sheer volume of ingredients/extracts in this product. Other reviewers have posted up the label which shows it all on there, but there's everything under the sun in this stuff. You could go through each of these ingredients and how they are proposed to work, but in a prop blend you're not really sure how much of each you're getting so that's kinda pointless for this product. I think the best way you can judge this is to say Nature Restore put a bit of everything they could find in here to try to give you as much of a spread of ingredients as they could. Based on that, and my experiences with the product, I've given it a pretty high overall ingredient profile score.

TASTE - 9/10

OK, I wont lie, when I saw this ingredient profile I went, there's no way this could possibly taste good. I mean, look at it! Brocolli, Spinach, Spirulina, Mushroom, Ginseng, Sweet potato and freaking black garlic to name a few ingredients, how you gon make that taste any good? Well, Nature Restore did. This stuff tasted really, really refreshing. A bit like a weak cordial, but definitely something that I found very drinkable and good to slam down, or sip on. I never feared taking this product due to its taste.

MIXABILITY - 10/10

Again, I was very surprised with the ease that Roots mixed up. I was expecting some clumping, or at the very least some settling, but nothing at all. Not really even much over time, if I left half a bottle on my bench at work for half an hour there wouldn't be anything really settled at the bottom. Great effort.

DOSING

For the most part I would take 1 packet of Roots in the mid-afternoon, although I did mix it up on the weekends and on off gym days. I didn't really notice a difference in effectiveness by taking it at different times through the day. If I had another box (20 servings) I would try taking 2 packets a day for a week, just to see if there was any negative side effects.

For my 20 servings of Roots I dosed it like this (in terms of other veggies) on a daily basis:
    - First 5 packets = Normal veggie intake + 1 packet of Roots
    - Second 5 packets = Reduced veggie intake + 1 packet of roots
    - Final 10 packets - Normal veggie intake + 1 packet of roots

EFFECTIVENESS - 8/10

Effectiveness on a product like Roots is really hard to judge. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, as I grow a lot of it myself on my property, and I really love fruit, so deficiencies in the veggie department aren't really an issue for me. Having said that, in my dosing profile I did try backing right off 'real' veggies for 5 days to gauge if Roots was still able to give me the supplementation I needed without 'real' veggies. In all honesty, I couldn't really tell much of a difference between those 5 days without real veggies, and the other 15 days with normal real veggie intake. So did Roots work for me? Yes, and the reasons why are less obvious than for your standard pre workout, for example. Whilst taking Roots, I felt like I had more energy through the day and felt more 'active' or 'motivated'. It's a little hard to describe, but I felt a few years younger I guess, in that my general well-being was a bit 'nicer'. None of these effects were super-noticeable I should add, but just a general nice feeling overall. I found that the effectiveness kicked in pretty quickly in the first week and remained constant throughout, and I believe that would have continue if I had bought more packets. Perhaps part of this is a bit of a placebo effect though, when you eat fruit and you instantly feel healthy because you're eating fruit. Either way, if it's consistent and makes you feel better then it's effective.

SIDE EFFECTS

None to report, which is a relief with this type of product. I was a little concerned that my bowels would take to this like a fish to water and decide to empty themselves on a very regular basis. I can report that there was no change to my standard routine whilst on Roots. If I had another box I would try 2 packets a day and see if that held true when the dosage was upped.

VALUE - 8/10

Value is a little hard to judge, and is based on a few things. At the moment you can buy this on Nature Restores' website for $30 (20 servings). If you grow your own fruit and/or veggies, the value is diminished because you grow your own stuff, know what's in it and what if any chemicals are on it, and can be assured of its quality. If you buy veggies from the supermarket or wherever, then you're probably spending a good bit of coin on veggies, and probably more than $1.50/day to get your intake up. In that sense, Roots is not bad value. But on the other side of the coin, I wouldn't supplement my veggie and fruit intake with a powdered supplement 100% of the time, because actually eating real fruit and veggies is always going to be better for you overall. As a couple of times a week supplement, or for someone who travels a bit and cant get all the right foods in all the time, at $1.50/day it's not a ridiculous price to pay, and this is where I see Roots being a winner for me.

CONCLUSION - 8.5/10

Once again a big thank you to Nature Restore for giving me the opportunity to log Roots. I thoroughly enjoyed my time taking Roots and with no negative side effects and a mild yet positive effectiveness, I was impressed, especially considering the sheer number of ingredients included in the product. As pointed out in the value section, for me where I see Roots finding its niche is having a box in my pantry at home and when I go away for work for a few days, and I'm not sure where or what I'll be eating, time zone changes etc I chuck a couple of packets into my travel bag to take as required, knowing that by doing this I'll at least be getting a solid chunk of my veggie intake accounted for, no matter where I am. Based on this, I would buy Roots again, and I would recommend Roots as a very comprehensive, great tasting veggie/fruit supplement that someone could take away with them and know they would be covering their bases in terms of their veggie/fruit intake. I would also recommend Roots as a good veggie/fruit supplement for the odd day where you don't want to eat those foods, or just want to mix it up. If Nature Restore could put this into a tub with a scooper for bulk use, that would be great. Thanks for reading guys!

December 7, 2017

• More Vascular
    • Good Pump
    • More Endurance
      Good evening SR community. I know it's been ages since submitting my last review, but I have finally had some time to sit down and take my training a bit more seriously which means I can give supplements a fair run and provide accurate reviews. Today I will be reviewing Nutrex Research stim-free pump product N-Vein. Let's get down to it.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9/10

Most of the other reviewers have broken down the ingredient profile quite well, so I wont go into that much detail about the individual ingredients. What I like about N Vein is the relatively simple ingredient profile using quality raw materials. They use proprietary Dextrin, Glycerol and nitrates (in this case sodium nitrate) which are all proven ingredients. There's also some electrolytes thrown in there for hydration which is always a welcome addition to any supplement really, as most of us are drinking upwards of a gallon of water a day anyway. The individual ingredient amounts are solid and based on if not clinical doses then certainly doses that have come to be accepted as effective anecdotally by the lifting community. Perhaps the only addition I would make to this profile would be a clinical dose of CarnoSyn beta-alanine, but apart from that this is what you are looking for in a stim-free pump product.

TASTE - 9/10

I gave this 9/10 because being unflavoured it should be good to go with pretty much any other pre, or just mix it up in some Gatorade and chug it. I did find that with some Fruit Punch or the lemon/mango flavoured pres I doubled this up with I would get a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste, hence the drop in mark. I feel if you want to make something unflavoured it should go well with anything, otherwise chuck in some natural flavours so you can chug it on its own. On that note, if you did chug it on its own in water it kinda tasty like water that has been left in a bottle in the sun for 6 months, not the best.

MIXABILITY 8/10

N Vein mixes well, but requires agitation due to the glycerol. You cant just dump it into a cup and swirl it a couple of times and it's done. If you don't use a mixer/blender or shaker cup, it will clump a bit. For that reason I have given N Vein 8/10, although I understand the limitations of using glycerol in terms of mixability. On that note, the storage stability of N Vein is excellent. I've had some real junky glycerol-containing supplements that gum up a week after you open the can, or sometimes already come gummed up (hello Pre-Gro). Bonus points to N Vein for not doing this.

DOSING

I dosed N Vein at 1 scoop when dosed with other pres. I upped the dosing a few times when dosed on its own, but didn't see much of an improvement in effectiveness when doing this, so I just switched back to 1 scoop. Unlike some other pump products, I didn't find that there was a sweet dosing window for effectiveness. I took N Vein anywhere from 10 to 30 mins prior to working out and the results were always consistent.

EFFECTIVENESS - 9.3/10

The pump provided by N Vein is legit. It would only take me 1 set of proper concentration on contractions and hypertrophy to trigger N Vein's ingredients to work. To be honest I noticed the pumps the most on arm and upper body days, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't working hard on lower body days. In most cases, I am not really looking for a massive pump from a lower body workout, because back pumps suck and not having taurine in the ingredient profile leaves you exposed to the potential of that happening. Anyway, back to the pumps. They were solid, they would last all workout, and if I took a longer break or got distracted by a 10min phone call or whatever, N Vein kept the pumps going and it took just 1 set to get the blood rushing back into the muscles and filling them up nice and hard. I normally have a shower about an hour or 2 after my workout (after my meal and putting my kid to sleep) and after taking N Vein and having a good gym session I could still feel the pump in the shower, so yes the pump was definitely long lasting for me.

I did notice some vascularity in my arms and shoulders, as well as my quads, that was exaggerated when taking N Vein. I am not a very vascular person, and most pump products don't do much for me in this regard, so it was surprising to see this, and much welcome.

Finally, I also noticed that when taking N Vein I would drink more water. Whether this means N Vein helps keep you hydrated or not is up to you to decide, but I know I am hydrated before I go to gym, and if something makes me want to drink more and continue to be hydrated, then I would say that product helps with hydration. If that product also has electrolytes added to it, then that's even better. Top points for N Vein here.

VALUE - 9/10

For what you get, this is great value. You get 3 patented ingredients dosed at levels that work, along with electrolytes and the Potassium Bicarbonate and DiMagnesium Malate for increased fatigue reduction when you need it most. Most places will have this for under or right on $20 a tub, for 30 true 1 scoop servings. Stim-free pump only products are generally cheaper than their stimmed counterparts, but that doesn't mean you have to compromise on ingredients. If you double this up with a good stimmed product in the $20-30 range, you'd be outlaying $50 for 30odd servings of PWO that's right up there with the kitchen sink PWOs out on the market and if you pick the right stimmed product you know you'll be getting quality ingredients. In my opinion that's worth paying for.

CONCLUSION - 9.2/10

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Nutrex's N Vein and found it to be a very effective stand-alone stim-free pump product. I also found that doubling it up with stimmed PWOs would produce a truly awesome PWO combination if you choose your products thoughtfully. The price of N Vein is definitely in the good to great value category. Having said all that, I would definitely purchase N Vein again with my own money, and I would definitely recommend N Vein to others. Thanks to Nutrex for a great product and thanks for reading my review.

July 23, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • High Quality Ingredients
      • Dye Free
      • Actual 1 Scoop PWO
      • Disclosed Label
      • On The Expensive Side
      • Exclusive To One Retailer
      • Not For Stim Tolerant
      When I purchase my tub of Pre-Kaged by Kaged Muscle, I was really excited to try what appeared on the label to be one of the most complete all-in-one pre-workouts on the market. Pre-Kaged is built in the mould of other all-in-one clinically-dosed PWOs such as NutraBio's Pre and my personal all-time favourite Muscle Marinade from Purus Labs. When it comes to full-spectrum PWOs like Pre-Kaged, you expect big things. So let's see how Pre-Kaged fared.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9.2/10

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 9.2/10

On the surface, this ingredient profile looks amazing. The label is so comprehensive they need to put it sideways to fit all the info in. There's sticker after sticker of high-quality, patented ingredients. There's stickers telling you that it was made in the best facilities in the universe, and that no dumbbells are harmed in the production of this product. It's almost too good to be true. But when you dig into it, it's not all what it seems. Don't take that the wrong way, I still give the ingredient profile 9.2/10, which is a great score, but I feel like there are some things that could be improved/changed. I'll break them down below:

Pro-Pump complex - The level of L-Citrullene is great, but that's it. If you don't respond to it, then you're going to be hard pressed to get a pump. In all honesty though, I do respond to L-Citrullene so I don't have an issue with this blend.

Muscle Fuel Matrix - In other words, BCAAs. 3.5g of them. But it's a bit tricky, cos the next complex is 3g L-Leucine. So really, 6.5g of BCAAS, right? If that's true, then this is a good amount.

Endura-Burn Matrix - Beta alanine at half the clinical dose. Even though it's the patented Carnosyn, I still feel you need the clinical dose for maximum effectiveness. The capsicum extract didn't do much for me, apart from giving me a funny aftertaste.

Strength & Power - A bit underwhelming. 2g of BetaPower is nice, I would like 2.5g in my PWOs though. The Creatine HCl is also under-dosed IMO, I feel with creatine you gotta put in 5g of creapure, or none at all.

Hydrate & Defend - As others have said, 500mg coconut water extract is about half what most people want. I didn't feel a hydration benefit from Pre-Kaged, so im going to agree with them. The other 'stuff' is just that, 'stuff'.

Neuro-Focus Matrix - The taurine is good, the caffeine is a little bit below pare for most people. I would have liked to have seen some other focus ingredients in here, as I didn't feel the tunnel-vision focus I was expecting from this sort of product.

There are minimal dyes and flavours, meaning your shaker and insides don't get stained, which is always a plus. I have to give it to Kaged Muscle for being able to pack so much into a PWO and still make it 1 - mix well and 2 - taste bearable.

Taste - 7/10

I had the fruit punch flavour. It tasted good, but was not amazing. I got through the tub without hating it, but without loving it, hence the middle of the road rating.

Mixability - 8/10

Pre-Kaged mixed up well in a shaker cup, although there was some grit down the bottom that could be swirled up, but you could never leave your shaker completely clean. Not that all unexpected with such a comprehensive ingredient profile.

Dosage - As this is a true one-scooper that's how I dosed it. If you need to take more than 1 scoop of a PWO that is 32g then the PWO just isn't effective in my opinion.

Effectiveness - 8.8/10

The effectiveness of Pre-Kaged is broken down into the respective categories that a PWO should have:

Energy - 8/10

With not enough caffeine in my opinion, and not many supporting energy or focus ingredients, it was always going to struggle to blow you away. And so it was. The focus and energy was increased, and there was no jitters or crash, but it just wasn't 'enough' for me and I assume for many other (as I am not a stim junkie).

Pump - 9.5/10

The pump was real, and I attribute a lot of that to me responding well to L-Citrullene. If you didn't respond well to L-Citrulline then you might not see the same results.

Endurance & Hydration - 8/10

With the BCAAs and the coconut extract, I was expecting more from the endurance aspect of Pre-Kaged. I was a little disappointed in this regard. The endurance and hydration was no better than your standard intra BCAA drink, which you can pick up for really cheap.

Strength & Power - 8.5/10

Again, nothing earth-shattering, but competent. I didn't feel like I was hitting extra reps or doing heavier weight because of Pre-Kaged. I think a lot of this component ties in with the energy, if you are in the zone and focused then you tend to lift more weight or lift more reps. If you don't have that tunnel-vision focus, then I don't think you can truly benefit from extra reps/weight.

Recovery - 8/10

I didn't feel an increase, or decrease, in my recovery from normal with Pre-Kaged. I must point out that half way through my tub of Pre-Kaged I added in BioGro into my recovery stack, which I respond really well too, and it was noticeable within a week that my recovery was improving. That's the benchmark for me, and although Pre-Kaged is not touted as a recovery product, the addition of the BCAAs should
      improve your recovery. They did, but I wouldn't say any more than your standard intra BCAA product.

Side Effects - 0/10

Nothing to report here, all good as you would expect with high-quality ingredients.

VALUE - 7.5/10

When you're talking a PWO that's going to cost you $1.50 a serving, you're talking top tier. When you're talking top tier pricing, you demand top tier performance. I have no issues paying $1.50 a serving of PWO if the performance warrants it. For the profile of Pre-Kaged you'd go yeah sure, all those quality ingredients cost a lot, I'm happy to shell out for it. BUT it must perform to a level that matches 1 - the quality of the ingredients and 2 - the price. Otherwise you could just get a high stim PWO and some intra product for the same price and get a better result. I felt for the price Pre-Kaged did not perform to a standard I would expect, hence the middle of the road rating. I have not really seen Pre-Kaged on sale, so the $1.50 a serving price tag seems to be the standard. I'd pay that much per serving for my absolute top PWOs, I would not pay that much again for Pre-Kaged.

CONCLUSION - 8/10

I was really excited to get into Pre-Kaged. I like the comprehensive PWOs that have everything included and use high-quality ingredients. Pre-Kaged worked well for me, but I was a little disappointed with the overall performance for what promised to be the top level of PWOs, among the best I've ever used. I was happy to pay the extra for this product, if the performance warranted it. In the end I have to admit that while I did enjoy my time on Pre-Kaged, I will be looking elsewhere for my next full-spectrum PWO. Would I buy this again with my own money? Probably not unless it was on special. Would I recommend this product to others? To serious experienced gym goers? Probably not. It would be a good PWO for someone who just goes to the gym and wants an everything in one PWO.