cssrss

• Was an active member for 2 years, but hasn't been online since November, 2014

Reviews by cssrss

November 25, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Non-stim Thermo
  • Taste
  • Boost Of Endurance
  • Great For Hiit
So before I begin, I have to give a HUGE thank you to JoeFlah and the big man himself Ronnie Coleman, for letting me get my hands on Amino-Tone as a tester, even though I am not up to the ranks of the Expert Reviewer crew here on SR.

I've had mixed experiences with BCAA and Amino blends in the past. Some work, some don't, and some have given me a list of adverse effects strong enough to make me throw the tub in the trash. Either way, all the theoretical benefits of taking BCAA/Amino-blends are hard to ignore, and I find myself testing out as many as I can to see what works. So let's break this on down.

Taste and Dosage. 9/10

A simple intra-workout protocol, the sweet spot for me was 1 scoop during exercise or 1 in the morning on off days. I had the fruit punch flavor and you can tell that the Ronnie Coleman crew put a lot of work into making this taste natural and not too sweet. I am not a fan of fruit punch, however I did really enjoy incorporating this into my routine.

Profile. 8/10

I won't go too much into detail of the actual ingredients, other reviewers have done a great job already, but I will list the components of the different categories.

1) Instantised BCAAs 4g in the 2:1:1 formula

2) INTRA-Training Performance & Hydration 3,775mg, electrolytes, Taurine and HICA.

3) Stim-Free Fat Loss Support Complex (3,180mg), L-Alanine, Raspberry Ketones, Choline Bitartrate, Inositol and Coleus Forskohlii.

4)AstraGin (25mg) found in the signature series; for absorption.

On paper, this profile looks great. Performance/anti-catabolic support and stim free fat loss is something that I think many can benefit from.

Effectiveness. 8/10

I'll rate each subcategory on a subjective scale and base the total point score off of this. The categories are; Barely Noticeable, Modest Benefit, Outstanding Performance.

-Lifts & strength training: "Barely Noticable"

Amino-Tone offered very little in increased strength or concentration in lifting. None of my lifts increased in weight, and I never noticed a bump in volume of sets that I could complete. The only thing I did notice was a slight decrease in recovery time between sets. Unfortunately, I would not consider this supplement my "go to" when focusing on increasing size.

-HIIT & Cardio: "Outstanding Performance"

This is where Amino-Tone shined! I perform HIIT, and to a lesser extent steady state, either as a full workout or for about 10 minutes after a lifting session. My endurance was increased significantly. I was able to complete my high intensity circuits faster and get more work done whatever time was allotted to training that day. Intra recovery was excellent as well. There were many time where my 1 minute break was only half done where I found myself picking up the battle ropes and getting ready for another 8 round Tabata.

-Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS): "Modest Benefit"

Amino-Tone was hit or miss in this category. Some days I would feel absolutely fine, whereas others made me question whether or not I was just sipping on Kool-Aid during my workout. And of course, this was inconsistent regardless of muscle group or mode of training experienced the day before.

-Fat loss & Leaning Effect: "Modest Benefit"

I took the opportunity to test Amino-Tone as a catalyst to begin a cutting cycle. As I said before, I implemented HIIT as either a 10min finish to heavy lifts, or as a dedicated 1 hour workout twice a week. I also reorganized my eating by increasing my carbs, but only around my workout, and also keeping protein high and fats to a modest; this was a method I have used before. That being said, I did notice an increased fat loss while on Amino-Tone, particularly around my chest, shoulders, and legs. My method may have been subjective, yet there was increased vascularity and striations regardless of whether or not I was training at the time. I can surmise that this product works, however it will take a lot longer to see results, but that's fine with me as I try to stay away from too many stimulants. I want to see if a longer run would start to affect my abdominal fat as well. In addition, I did have a decrease in sugar cravings. Whether or not this was from increasing complex carbs in proximity to my workouts is up for debate.

-Value 7/10

Although I was able to test this for free, as well as get a discount on my next tub which is in the mail, the retail price of $49.99 on the main website is pretty high. Although you get more than just BCAA's in the tub, it is still at 30 servings. My advice is look for a discount, and if you can't find one but are still interested, go for it. I figure that I've spent plenty of $$$ on nonsensical products, so I have no qualms when it comes to shelling out a little more for a tub of powder that I know works.

-Side effects 10/10

I experienced no adverse reactions.

-Overall 8/10

In my experience Amino-Tone offered great performance enhancement, albeit in very specific areas. However, HIIT and aiding in a slow cutting phase sans daily stimulants is an area of interest to me, so it has made its way into my cutting and conditioning stack. It was a disappointment that I did not have any strength gains, yet I don't believe the product was marketed that way. To reiterate what JoeFlah said in an earlier reviewer's comment section, enhancing the stim free fat loss support is the next logical step. No if you'll excuse me, I have a round of hill sprints to attend to.

October 3, 2013

• Good Focus
  • Increased Strength
  • Effective
  • No Crash
  • Spicy
  • Questionable Taste
Hey SR! It has been a veerryyy long time since I typed out a review, but I feel that this supplement deserves a little credit.

I happen to be a unique individual when it comes to preworkouts. I find myself to be sensitive to supps that have too many stimulants or just a laundry list of ingredients, so I typically like my pre workouts to be quick and to the point. After finishing a run with Capsi-Blast, which was basically just hot peppers and caffeine (see my review here http://supplementreviews.com/promera-health/capsi-blast), I needed something with a better focus and energy profile. I have always been a fan of ON's consistent quality, so I wasn't too concerned with dropping the $$$ for this product.

INGREDIENTS: 9/10

Practically a full disclosure label, this PWO offers endurance and energy enhancement, along with N.O support and thermogenic qualities. What is great about the label is how easily it is to read. You know exactly how much caffeine, beta-alanine, and citruline you get with 1 – 2 scoops. The only complaint here is that if you are only in the mood for the 1 scoop serving, you miss out on a effective dose of beta-alanine.

Serving Size 1 Scoop
Servings Per Container 30

L-Citrulline 2 g
(as Micronized L-Citrulline PepForm Citrulline Peptides [L-Citrulline Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate])
CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine 1.6 g
DMAE Bitartrate 250 mg
PhytoBlend 250 mg
Beet Juice Powder Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vinifera)(seeds)
MegaNatural Red Wine Grape Extract (Vitis vinifera)(fruit) Citrus Bioflavonoids
Caffeine 200 mg
Capsimax Capsicum Extract 125 mg
(Capsicum annuum)(fruit)(standardized for capsaicinoids)

TASTE: 6/10

I had the fruit punch flavor, which was somewhat disappointing. It's like while they were making the product someone said "Hey! I read somewhere that peppers are fruits...........let's toss a sack full of them into the punch!" So yes, hot spicy fruit punch thanks to the capsi-max.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10

This PWO provided some of the cleanest focus and energy enhancement I have yet to experience. Even at 1 scoop, I was able to focus on my lifts and connect with the muscle groups I was training. Of all the ingredients, I attribute this to the caffeine/DMAE combo. The caffeine provided the energy, and the DMAE enhanced my focus along with the sensation that it was far easier to contract my muscles and produce force. I know this sounds like a gimmick, but it literally felt like every rep was the result of all my muscle fibers firing; especially during big lifts like front squats. I also sweated a ton during my lifts, probably due to the capsi-max.

I will say that the only drawback I experienced was during a cardio or HIIT day. My heart rate would be too high to handle these types of workouts, so I typically only took ½ scoop just to get me moving.

COST: 6/10

Most retail stores had this tub going for about $35. Not bad if you only need 1 scoop like me (30 servings), but if you aren't stimulant sensitive and need 400mg of caffeine before you workout, 2 scoops will only give you 15 servings! So, in short I was able to get my money's worth, but if you need a bigger stimulant kick for less money like most people, look elsewhere.

SIDE EFFECTS: N/A

Other than my inability to handle a high stimulant serving during a cardio/HIIT day, I never felt anything that would deter me filling my shaker cup. There was never a crash, and for the most part the energy would last well past my workout.

OVERALL: 9/10

The combination of an unambiguous nutrition label, effective ingredients, and the ability to provide the promised clean "energy and focus" earns this supp a 9 out of 10. I would recommend this product to those who need a PWO with the ability to dial in their energy levels before hitting the daily iron.

May 31, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • When It Did Work
  • It Worked Well
  • Inconsistent Performance Benefits
Looks like someone is up to their old tricks again, Oh Muscle-Tech when will you learn?

Hey SR Members! Well it looks like I'll be the first to review the latest Muscle-Tech "Non-Stim" Preworkout, Push 10. After abstaining from anything from this company I decided a few months back to give in and buy Creacore. I had an amazing experience with that creatine supp, so when it came time to invest in a non-stim product, I said why not give Push 10 the good 'ol college try?

-Product Claims

-Product Claims

MT goes into great detail about all the research and backing of the benefits of Push 10's constituents. Research supported claims of...

"IMMEDIATE 10.5% INCREASE IN STRENGTH"

"INCREASE MUSCLE ENDURANCE BY 21%"

"ENHANCE TRAINING PERFORMANCE" *based on B-alanine

These are some hefty claims, especially considering the key word "immediate". Sure it is marketing, but I definitely was excited to see what a 21% increase in strength would feel like!

-Ingredients 9/10

Ketoisocaproic Acid Calcium 3.2g
Glycine 2g
Waxy Maize 8.8g
Beta-Alanine (As Carnosyn®) 3.2g

Big points go to the full disclosure here! Push 10 is definitely geared toward ameliorating the negative effects of muscle endurance from acidic ph environments (Beta-Alanine) as well as increasing a NO pump. I was however curious as to the small amount of waxy maize. Perhaps to increase absorption by insulin? Nowhere on the bottle does it say to take this with or without a meal. Either way, the ingredients list is solid in theory

Taste/Mix 5/10

Shaker bottle or not, this is a clumpy dust ball of a drink. And the fruit punch was very synthetic with a bitter aftertaste. No Bueno.

I purchased this on BB.com as a BOGO. Split this difference with a friend and was only out about $15. Not bad with a promotion.

Effect: 5/10

I ran this product almost every day I lifted. I did notice an increase in strength seriously about 60% of the time. It was inconsistent, although the full dose of beta alanine gave me tingles like crazy! I admit that I was very happy with the product when it did work. Who knows if it was a 25% increase in strength, but there were days when I was piling on the weights. For example, coming back from a shoulder injury, I was able to put up about 50lbs heavier on my shoulder press. Doesn't sound like much, but after experiencing some atrophy in my delts from recovery, this was impressive. Sadly, most days it was like I forced myself to down a drink made from the fruit of a chemical tree just for the sake of masochism.

Focus 0/10

No focus here. Granted there isn't any valine or other amino's that would enhance a "Stim Free" PWO.

Side Effects 8/10

Some water retention and bloating around the midsection. This was annoying b/c of how you generally feel like carrying around some extra fluid for the day. This happened every time with me, even with adequate water intake. Typical of a glycine/NO product.

Overall 6/10

Well they got me. In the end it was nothing more than a re-packaged supp with good ingredients that was inconsistent with its results. Amazing some times, barely noticeable most of the time. I recommend grabbing something else with the similar ingredients (Gakic) and having a go at it instead of picking up Push 10.

However I do have to give props when it came to the benefits during a semi fasted (no PWO meal) lifting session; the performance benefits were noticeable during some of those sessions.

MT should rethink this product. Add in some BCAA's for focus and endurance, change the taste, and maybe add some creatine HCL (*ahem, CreaCore!") I am always for a stim free PWO, and there is much to be had in regards to a solid product. The search continues!

May 29, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Recovery
    Once in a while you come across a supplement that has no flashy promises of amazing gains and does it's job without so much as a little GI distress. I understand all to well the need for adequate post workout glycogen refueling, so I take my supps here seriously. I took a chance on an odd looking, and somewhat outdated looking product, and I was not disappointed. Here is my review of Labrada's Game Time Karbolyn.

Ingredients. 9/10

Calories: 80
    Sodium: 120mg
    Potassium: 60mg
    Total Carb: 20g
    Dietary Fiber: 0g
    Sugar: 0g

This is a stripped down carb drink. 0 sugars and an electro...

Ingredients. 9/10

Calories: 80
    Sodium: 120mg
    Potassium: 60mg
    Total Carb: 20g
    Dietary Fiber: 0g
    Sugar: 0g

This is a stripped down carb drink. 0 sugars and an electrolyte blend to aid in hydration. Karbolyn is basically described as a "poly saccharide derived from potato, rice, and corn." It has a high osmotic weight, which results in it bypassing the stomach quickly to be digested.

Taste/Mix 7/10

Whenever I see a supp with the "fruit punch" flavor, I can't help but scoff. I mean, what does fruit punch actually taste like? I can't remember if and when I actually had authentic fruit punch in the past, so comparing this to its authentic counterpart is tricky. Either way, being the kool-aid kid that I am, I was happy with the very sweet flavor. There was also a grainy texture and a need to mix quite a bit at the beginning, so in all it was a little above average in this category in my opinion.

Although you can also use this as a pre-workout carb drink, I only used it as post workout recovery. I would drink during my stretching sessions, right after lifting. The recovery was not immediate (taking about 15 min), but I felt a noticeable benefit. I can describe it as both a mood enhancement (reducing cortisol) and well feeling strength return to my fatigued muscles. This happened every time I used this product with just one scoop. I was able to reach a PR on squat as well as go through a moderate carb cycle/cutting phase while running this supp.

value: 9/10

I never went over a 1 scoop serving and had 45 solid recovery meals. Found an overlooked tub in the clearance section, and at $25 a tub you can't go wrong!

Side Effects: 10/10

No side effects or issues here!

So sure, it's not after glow, and there is no post workout euphoria, but this product gave me solid results. I was able to train hard b/c of the benefits of taking this from my previous workouts, and there were absolutely no side effects. So next time you are wandering around your local supp shop, take a moment to look into the clearance bin, there just might be a lonely tub of Game Time in need of a home.

May 27, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Apple Tastes Great
    • Reduced Doms
    • My Body Did Not Agree With This Particular Supp
    Hey guys! CSSRSS here and...I have a confession. I did not finish this supplement tub! But before you send me to the gallows, hear me out!

This has got to be one of the hardest supplement runs I have ever endured. I know I know, how is it even possible to have a bad time with a BCAA supp? Well let me put it this way, I am writing this more as a public service announcement rather than an informative review. There are plenty of members here talking about the benefits of Chain'd Out, yet I had to share my less than stellar experience. Here we go.....

Flavor/Mix "Appletini" 9/10

A su...

Flavor/Mix "Appletini" 9/10

A super tart and full flavor supplement. Not at all sweet, and not really much like an appletini (not saying I can remember the last time I had one), but I loved it nonetheless. Mixing was no problem.

Ingredients 9/10

=2:1:1 7000mg BCAA matrix in the malate form.
    =Adaptogens 1800 prop blend
    -Alanine
    -L-Theanine
    -Dong Chong Xia Cao
    -Rhodioa Rosea
    -Apple Peel Extraxt

So in addition to the focus enhancing, cortisol ameliorating,anti-oxident benefits of the these adaptogens, ALRI states that their form of Alpha-Hydroxy ester-protected BCAA's are unique in that they do not convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis. I am not quite sure how to take this. I understand the need to not add additional sugars to any supplement or certain diets considering cutting etc, yet I believe that even though other BCAA products convert to sugar, it may be negligible. Either way, as long as the BCAAs do their job regarding reduced mental fatigue and reduced DOMS I am happy.

Value 8/10

For $32 at my local vitamin shoppe, Chain'd Out gives you 90 servings/per 1 scoop. There is a guide instructing anyone over 150lbs to use 2 and those over 200lbs to use 3 scoops. The value here really depends on your weight, and in general how much you like the supp. For me, I was happy with spending $32 for the 45 servings.

Effectiviness & Side Effects. 5/10

Ok so let me get down to it. Everyone's physiology is different, and mine just DOES NOT agree with this supplement. I'll get to bad in a sec, but here is the good.

I did have the benefit of...
    -Nearly no DOMS after any training day.
    -Increased mental focus intra workout.
    -Delayed fatigue during lifting

This is where it gets ugly, EVERY SINGLE TIME after supplementation I experienced bouts of...
    -Anxiety
    -Rapid Heart Rate
    -Irritability
    -Depressed Mood.

I tried everything, from not combining this with other supplements, using absolutely no caffeine or other stimulants for weeks at a time, being on top of my nutrition, everything! I ended up emailing the owner of ALRI about the issue. He was more than helpful and gave great insight over an issue I overlooked; post workout hypoglycemia. As it turns out, hypoglycemia was not the issue; I even used this supplement on off days to test along with proper nutrition. This really got in the way when it came to training clients or trying to focus on school work.

Overall 5/10

Despite the great reviews of this product, and the AMAZING customer service of ALRI (they even wanted to send me other supps to make up for it), I cannot rate this high. However, given the great results from other reviews, I would recommend it.

***Just be aware that if you start to feel the same side effects, it may just be a product of a unique genetic make up. On a side note, one would think that being such a genetic freak would come with super powers, oh well.

May 9, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Slight Thermogenic Response
    • Product Will Clump In Any Environment
    Ok everyone, drop the Ivanko dumbbells and take a second to check out my review for Promera Health's thermogenic, CapsiBlast!

INTRO

I was originally in the market for a stim free thermogenic that would aid in my recent cutting phase. I'm somewhat sensitive to stimulants, and I wanted a product that I could use on the daily without being concerned over crashing or being plain "cracked out." I came across CapsiBlast after being somewhat frustrated in my search. This is basically Promera Health's take on the CapsiMax product.

INGREDIENTS PER SCOOP

Sodium, 20mg

CapsiBlend 824mg
    Beta Alanine.
    Caffeine, 100mg.
    Red Pepper Fruit (2% Capsaicinoids).
    Black Pepper Fruit Extract.

Based on the ingredients, CapsiBlast may offer a variety of benefits in regards to a cutting phase.

-Chromium may facilitate fat metabolismm, glucose uptake, and insulin regulation (however I have read conflicting research)
    -A modest amount of caffeine (100mg) supports exercise intensity while increasing lipolysis.
    -Beta Alanine supports anaerboic exercise duration via phj buffering of the acidosis of hydrogen ions.
    -Red Pepper Fruit (capsaicin) has been shown to increase thermogenisis by facilitating norepinephrine. This specific type of extract has been encapsulated, meaning that it will provide the added thermogenic benefits without burning as you drink it.
    -Black pepper extract supports absorption of the ingredients.

TASTE 8/10 "Blue Raspberry"

I loved the taste of the product. However at times the encapsulated Red Pepper still added a spicy kick to the drink that, if you were ever to bite down on a capsule, would may you think you just took a swig of tabasco! And a few times I had a really spicy burp ha!

MIXABILITY 3/10

Ok, two big complaints here. One is that the encapsulated white balls of pepper extract would sit at the bottom of the shaker cup and you have to constantly drink RIGHT AFTER mixing, lest you leave out one of the main ingredients. The other complaint is something I experience with all the Promera Health products I have used in the past...CLUMPING! Ok, I know to keep supps away from humidity, but come on! I kept this product in the same place as all my other supps and every one of them was fine except for CapsiBlast. I seriously had to dig away at the mass of blue goo every time. This made dosing very difficult, as the product ended up in big sticky clumps. Not good.

EFFECTIVENESS 5/10

While on a cut I was able to drop about 3-4% with this product. The caffeine gave me moderate energy (big surprise), I did sweat a little more than usual, and the beta alanine effect was modest compared to other products (even taking beta alanine on its own). I would attribute the body fat drop to my diet with a little help from this product. In other words, the results came a little faster than what I have experienced using the same method without thermogenics in the past.

SIDE EFFECTS 9/10

Other than the occasional spicy burp, nothing to make me stop using the product.

VALUE 8/10

I was able to get this on BB.com for a discounted price of $17 for 24 servings.

OVERALL 5/10

Although I was able to reach a 3% body fat reduction, I believe that it was mostly attributed to dieting. This product helped speed up the process, but nothing remarkable. In the end, I would not purchase this product again. For the benefits it offered, I suggest just investing in cheaper red pepper extract pills and any preworkout with caffeine; something along the lines of ON's AmiNO energy.

April 11, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Taste Awesome!
    • Only Moderately Effective
    Well well well, GAT, it looks as though you're up to bat in my latest review. I took my time in finally deciding to give in and pick up a GAT product. Call me cynical, but I never liked the crass commercialism of GAT advertisements, what with their overly roided models looking down at you with the proposed internal monologue of something like "Ha, what a wimp! You DARE take other supplements in my presence? All Hail the mighty GAT!" Ok, sorry for my digression, but I had to get that out of my system. And now for the review!

Taste: "Peach Mango" 9/10

Good god I don't care what this stu...

Taste: "Peach Mango" 9/10

Good god I don't care what this stuff does, it tastes amazing! One scoop, two scoop, even half a scoop is super rich in flavor! Not at all artificial aside from tasting like a melted amalgamation of jolly ranchers. For the kool aid kid in all of us, this is awesome.

Mixability: 9/10

Some initial residue, but give it some shakes and time and you can forget about anything staying at the bottom.

Ingredients: 7/10

Aside for the point deduction for the prop blend, there is a fairly good complex of aminos

L-Taurine
    L-Isoleucine
    L-Valine
    L-Citrulline Malate 2:1
    L-Methionine

Along with a list of adaptogens

Beet Powder
    Withania Somnifera (as Sensoril®)
    Indian Gooseberry (as Capros®)
    Trans-Alanyl-Glutamine
    L-Ornithine Alpha-ketoglutarate
    Goji Extract
    Açaí Extract

All with the purposed benefits such as decreased rest time intra workout, increased mental forcus, cortisol/stress amelioration, increased pump, and decreased DOMS.

So the score remains a 7, because I don't care what beneficial components the product has if I have no idea how much of it there is. Pixie dusting???

I ran this product while consistently lifting 6 days a week and attempting to reach a PR on the squat rack. I took 2 scoops of this product intra-workout. So how were the results? Unremarkable. Now I don't mean to give the impression that it didn't do anything. I did experience

-Reduced fatigue intra-workout
    -Reduced DOMS
    -Increased recovery from exhaustive exercise in regards to energy levels in the same day

However, these benefits were modest at best, and I have had much better results from taking Xtend, or even the Cellucor BCAA product. The other areas such as increased focus, increased reps, strength, pump, etc, were not present.

Dishing out $45 at a supp store or a little less via Amazon is pricey in either case, and with less results compared to cheaper products, I would shy away from this.

Yes it tasted amazing and there were benefits, but only when compared to taking nothing at all. The makers of Muscle Martini market the product as a ergogenic aid for body builders, endurance althetes, and uh even video gamers - don't believe me? Read the tub next time you're at a supplement store. In all, this product came up short on almost every claim, and at the end of the run, I only looked forward to rewarding every super set with a swig of one of the best tasting supplements I have ever dropped $45 on.

March 29, 2013

• Maximum Absorption
    • Pricey
    Hey all you slaves of the iron, all you devotees of the deadlift, and everyone on their road to glorious muscle. Here is my review of MHP's ISOFAST 50!

Ingredients

Ingredients

So here we have a whey protein isolate with a tagline. You know, it's one of those "ingredients but now in a specially processed kind of way" situation. MHP lists that the 25 grams of protein comes from "...advanced Micronparticulation and Biohydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate...". What this basically boils down to is an isolate that is very close to being hydrolized without actually getting there. Marketing pseudoscience or legitimate ingredients? Let's find out...

Taste: 8/10 Vanilla
    Mix: 6/10

So I split the grades in two because this is where the product faltered. Although the vanilla taste was light, natural, and pleasant, there was the issue of mixing the product. Clumpy dust balls will no doubt gunk up certain shakers; eventually mixing after a prolonged shaking workout. The flavor is worth it, but MHP should definitely reconsider reformulating the product.

Effectiveness. 9/10

It is a whey protein supplement, so I grade it on digestion and muscle recovery. Both of these factors were surprisingly up to par. No GI distress, bloating, gas, or even a heavy stomach. Also, I felt that my strength and recovery did not suffer while drinking this as my sole whey source.

Price: 7/10

I was lucky enough to find this 50% off at Vitamin Shoppe, but the original price is way too expensive. I would only recommend buying this product on a sale.

So I really believe that this product does what it says. There is an incredibly fast digestion rate, and recovery was great! The few drawbacks are what really discourages me from purchasing the product again. I doubt I will find it for the same sale price, and the clumping dust particles were not fun to deal with when all you want is a recovery shake RIGHT THIS SECOND!

March 16, 2013

• Could Be Cheaper
    Hey fellow meat heads and Ivanko aficionados! Here is my review on MHP's Dark Matter. I found this supplement to be as enigmatic as the mysterious deep space substance of the same namesake, but I digress - on to my review!

TASTE: Blue Raspberry 8/10

TASTE: Blue Raspberry 8/10
    First things first, I am what I like to refer to myself as a "kool-aid kid". I know that taste ultimately means nothing compared to the advantages of a efficacious supplement, yet I have a sweet tooth and if I am going to be spending my hard earned $$$, then I better enjoy the experience. That being said, the Blue Raspberry flavor is something that grew on me as I dug deeper into the tub. At first, it most definitely has an artificial taste. If I could sum it up, the full flavored Dark Matter is reminiscent of a melted blueberry Jolly Rancher. As time went on, I looked forward to taking a swig of this post workout right after a lifting session.

MIXABILITY: 5/10
    Yes, it is a waxy maize/creatine matrix, and yes it will be gelatinous and thick. I had to constantly use my shaker cup before every swig just to keep the viscous mass at a balanced mixture; many times I ended up with unmixed balls of powder in the cup. What can you expect from a waxy maize supp?

IMMEDIATE RECOVERY: 2/10
    This is my chief complaint. The instructions dictate that you must drink it immediately post workout, and then wait 1 full hour before ingesting anything else. The rationale being that the creatine/waxy maize/protein matrix needs to be digested rapidly and cannot have any other food get in the way. I followed this exactly and what did I experience? Intense hunger pangs and A HUGE CRASH! That's right. Although it states to have proper amounts of the macro nutrients, my body's metabolism would shut down from being undernourished after an intense training session. I would go into a coma, afraid to never awaken again. Big negative for this.

DELAYED RECOVERY: 9/10
    So why put up with the crash? Because the next day reduction on DOMS, creatine loading, and glycogen replenishment was remarkable. I upped lifts notably and I would feel completely recovered entering my next workout. What a tease! Suffer after a workout only to reap the benefits of a next day lift? Of course I finished the tub!

OVERALL: 6/10
    What a bitter sweet supplement. I had some of the best gains of a small serving supplement tub ever. I haven't lost my gains after cycling off this product, but I would not by again. Maybe it won't deprive you of your anabolic window, but for a hard lifter like myself, there was no it would satiate my caloric post workout needs. This is too bad, MHP is a good company when it comes to other products such as Up Your Mass.

February 16, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fast Recovery
    • Electrolyte Blend
    • Taste Gets Boring

Hey Everyone!

I'm here to review one of the most reputable and lauded intra-workouts, the mighty Scivation XTEND. I went into my local Vitamin Shoppe and purchased the Grape Escape with the expectations that within a month or so I would be writing a review that would no doubt bolster this products efficacy. Whether or not that is this case, we are about to find out!

TASTE/MIXABILITY: "GRAPE ESCAPE" 7/10

Hey Everyone!

TASTE/MIXABILITY: "GRAPE ESCAPE" 7/10
    As I have made abundantly clear in past reviews, I am a "Kool Aid" kid when it comes to supps. Yes, of course my #1 concern in performance, but taste is a critical factor. This is what I call a Full Flavor Supp. Every gulp of the recommended 2 scoop serving is full of grape flavor. Initially this is amazing, yet shortly after I experienced a very biting artificial sweetener "after burn" taste. Xtend does take time to mix as well. I found that I have to shake up my bottle before every swig, lest I would imbibe in a grainy and foamy mixture.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8.5/10
    Intra-set recovery and hydration is Xtend's most notable benefit. I have been training for quite some time and take my weight lifting seriously. This product allowed me to take less time resting in between supersets and kept me hydrated throughout the workout. Xtend did reduce DOMS, yet it was nothing amazing; I have had better experience with Cellucor BCAA. The take away from this section is that Xtend shines when it comes to recovery/ATP production during the workout, and aids in reducing DOMS outside. It does exactly what it says it does on the bottle. I only reduced the score by 0.5 because of the moderate reduction in DOMS. When will they make a supp strong enough for my leg days? Haha!

VALUE: 7/10
    This product exists between the moderate to expensive categories depending on how you use it. On the bottle it recommends you use 1 scoop per workout, making it a 30 serving bottle. However, on the website Scivation recommends 2 scoops, thus lowering it to a measly 15 servings per container. I took the advice on the website and it was only then that I felt the benefits from the product.
    GAINS 8/10
    I did notice an increase in muscle mass and strength while on a clean bulk and progressive weight training regimen. It might be conjecture, but the intra-workout recovery from Xtend allowed me to increase the volume of sets and reps of each workout thus allowing me to get more done, challenge myself more, and ultimately increase my workout capacity. In short, it increased the amount of lifting I could get done each 1-1.5 hour workout.

OVERALL: 8.5/10
    Xtend did exactly what is says on the bottle, and you can't ask for more from a supplement. The Intra-workout recovery, increased efficiency of time spent in the weight room, and aiding in reduction of DOMS ranged from amazing to adequate. The only demerits stem from its chemical after taste, small serving size resulting in a high price and poor mixability. Clearly the only faults that I could find were dependent on personal preference and price range. Well worth a try, and I will definitely purchase this product again. Scivation Xtend lived up to its reputation.