bogusforlife

• Moderate community participation

Reviews by bogusforlife

May 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Focus
  • Mental Clarity
  • Moderate Caffeine
  • Mediocre Mixability

Brainwash is the ideal nootropic supplement for those looking for solid dosages of proven ingredients without an excessive amount of caffeine to go along with them.

I was surprised to see this product not listed in the SR database but knew that it certainly deserved some recognition. I won a tub of Brainwash from a forum promo and after enjoying it so much I promptly ordered two more tubs to keep the focus boost going.

Copied from Bodybuilding.com

Serving Size: 8 Grams
Servings Per Container: 20
Amount Per Serving %DV...

Copied from Bodybuilding.com

SerinAid [yielding 50mg PhosphatidylSerine (PS)] 100 mg *
AstraGin (Astragalus Root Extract and Tienchi Ginseng Root Extract) 50 mg *
Theobromine 50 mg *
Toothed Clubmoss Aerial Parts Extract (1% Huperzine A) 200 mcg *
* Daily Value not established. (%DV)
Other Ingredients:
Organic Rice Syrup Solids, Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Calcium Silicate, Acesulfame Potassium, and Sucralose.
Contains: Soy.
Allergen Warning: Manufactured on equipment which processes products containing milk, egg, wheat, soybeans, shellfish, fish oil, tree nuts, and peanuts.

For anyone even somewhat familiar with nootropic ingredients, it's easy to see that this is a powerhouse profile. I won't go into detail on each ingredient but there are three in particular that you would be hard-pressed to find at comparable dosages in individual products, let alone all in one product.

With a whopping two grams of Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), a highly bioavailable form of L-Carnitine which is intended to increase acetylcholine leading to cognitive boosts in memory, mental clarity (focus) and learning capacity. Next is a gram of L-Tyrosine which is preferred for most users compared to the other commonly used variant, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT) (https://blog.priceplow.com/nootropics/l-tyrosine). L-Tyrosine is also suggested to improve cognitive capabilities and mood especially in stressful circumstances (work/school deadlines anyone?). Lastly, 600 mg's of Alpha GPC yielding 50% active constituents (300 mg's) is a serious dose as well. Alpha GPC is a highly regarded choline source which is critical to many brain functions and reduced levels of choline have been linked to cognitive decline/impairment.

With hefty doses of multiple proven ingredients and a very moderate dose of caffeine, it's honestly hard for me to imagine a more effective product for its intended purpose. Controlled Labs was aggressive with their 200 mg dosing of L-Theanine which is typically used to mitigate the effects of caffeine and other stimulants but it's obviously dosed as such to enhance the smooth focus here.

I have used both the Sour Apple Rush and Lemon Frost flavors and neither are incredible by any means but very drinkable. If I had to give the edge to either, it would be the Lemon Frost because a few of my initial scoops of Sour Apple Rush had a funky aftertaste to them. As far as mixability, I would say it's pretty typical since most nootropics have subpar mixability. Using a glass and spoon, I usually ended up with some sediment but a few extra swirls on the last few drinks took care of those. Dosing was straightforward with one even scoop working out to ~eight grams.

The most prominent aspect of Brainwash is how quickly the effects can be noticed. It honestly seems like the clarity kicked in before I even finished the glass of water I had mixed it in. I would normally attribute that to placebo but it was so consistent that I have to mention it here. Once the clarity kicked in, it steadily increased to a noticeable level and pretty much stayed there for several hours. I found myself either going into one of two states, super productive or super focused yet zoning out. This can't necessarily be chalked up to the supplement itself but more so my own mental state in relation to the tasks I had in front of me at work and/or other factors outside of work. I will say that those who have a higher stimulant tolerance might desire a more prominent "kick" but Controlled Labs clearly wasn't targeting that aspect with the higher L-Theanine to caffeine ratio. With such a modest caffeine amount I would often have a cup of coffee a couple hours after taking my serving of Brainwash in the morning and find that it put my energy at just the right level to stay on task for several more hours.

As of a quick Google search, I see a 20 serving tub for ~$28.00 which is very reasonable given the packed out profile. I don't recall exactly how much I paid per tub but it was on a BOGO50% which made for quite the deal but I don't think it is fair to base the value rating off of that introductory deal. Even still, as my rating indicates, I think it's well worth the typical asking price.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any side effects that can be attributed directly to Brainwash.

Conclusion

Controlled Labs really outdid themselves with this product. They have been in the industry for a while and consistently had a track record of quality products but this is one of their best in my opinion. Unless another product comes along that can compete with the stellar profile and experience Brainwash has provided, I don't see myself purchasing another focus-based supplement anytime soon.

April 16, 2018

• Mixes Easily

If you are in the market for a delicious protein powder and don't mind spending the extra money on what appears to be a quality product (per the label), Precision Protein could be a contender.

What's up guys? Long time no review but I wanted to take the time to put up a quick review for the chocolate ice cream flavor of Gaspari's Precision Protein. I won a 28 serving tub through a forum promo and thought it worthwhile to post some thoughts here for the SR community.

Gaspari has provided a macro nutrient profile that ...

Gaspari has provided a macro nutrient profile that should accommodate anyone looking for a boost to their protein intake without increasing their fat or carbohydrate intake significantly. The only source of protein is hydrolysate which has gained popularity for its touted benefits regarding absorption. Unfortunately, there is no conclusive data to my knowledge indicating that protein being "pre-digested" yields any improvements since whey protein is absorbed at such a rapid rate to begin with. Also, based on the research I did, hyrdrolyzed protein is more bitter due to the hydrolysis and requires more sweetener to mask the flavor which means the artificial sweetener content could be higher in this than similar non-hydrolyzed options.

I haven't found a chocolate flavored protein powder that I didn't enjoy to some degree so I felt pretty confident in my choice of flavors (chocolate ice cream). With that said, I have to say that Gaspari really did nail this flavor. I expected a typical chocolate with very little deviation from others I've had before but I was pleasantly surprised. This chocolate ice cream flavor lives up to name almost uncannily. It legitimately tastes like drinking the last bit of melted ice cream out of a bowl. It also mixes extremely well using nothing more than a shaker cup with a blender ball.

I admittedly don't venture out into other flavoring options often but, of those that I have tried, this is far and away my favorite chocolate variant.

There are no acute or tangible benefits to be assessed from a protein shake. With that in mind, I rated it an 8.0 because it does what it is designed to do which is allow me to increase my protein intake in a convenient and enjoyable manner and boy was it enjoyable (see my taste review above).

I cannot honestly justify the expense of this product despite the delicious flavoring, solid macros and ease of mixing. There are many options, including isolates for those struggle with too much lactose, that beat Precision Protein on a price per serving standpoint. As of a quick Google search, I found a four pound tub for $52.00 through AllStarHealth.com which isn't a terrible price but it's not hard to find comparable products for much less per pound and/or gram of protein.

Side Effects

None to be reported here other than wanting to have another shake just because it's like drinking guilt-free ice cream...

Conclusion

Overall, Gaspari has been around for a long time and it is evident they know what they're doing with regards to the market. They have produced a great tasting and mixing product here that will surely appeal to a wide audience but, for a frugal guy like me, I can't say that it's a winner in my books.

April 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Transparent
  • Intense Focus
  • Amazing Energy
  • Excellent Endurance

Kraken has been on my "to-try" list since I first saw the profile and getting it for a dollar per serving thanks to a BOGO free deal was almost impossible to resist.

As mentioned above, the profile on this preworkout checks every box I personally look for. I prefer a moderate caffeine dose, solid pump enhancers and a nice focus boost and the label for Kraken looks to provide just that. 200 mg's of caffeine is literally my sweet spot but I had my reservations about DMHA and Eria Jarensis as they're relatively new and have little more than anecdotal feedback available regarding effectiveness and safety.

Four grams of l-citrulline, two grams of HydroMax, one gram of agmatine sulfate and 100 mg's of l-norvaline aim to increase pumps from multiple angles. From actual vasodilation with l-citrulline to intramuscular hydration via HydroMax to the inhibition of the breakdown of arginine with l-norvaline, you would be hard pressed to find more well dosed pump ingredients in an all-in-one product, especially one with only 200 mg's of caffeine.

One gram of taurine, half a gram of NALT and the fully disclosed and relatively large doses of DMHA and Eria Jarensis combined with the caffeine shows Sparta Nutrition was not content to do anything in this product halfway, especially the focus and mood enhancement.

When snagging the BOGO, I went with the newest flavors, watermelon rancher and bombsicle. I have not opened the bombsicle yet but the watermelon rancher is very enjoyable to drink. The flavoring is prefer but not overpowering and is easily identifiable as watermelon.

The product mixes great and that's when being mixed with an unflavored carbohydrate powder in roughly 20 ounces of water. I also appreciate the fact that a level scoop provides exactly 15 grams (15.13 grams is the serving size) after being weighed on multiple occasions. That is something I'm always mindful of when trying to keep my stimulant intake in check.

I am happy to report that Kraken delivers in every area that I hoped for based on the packed out profile. The energy from this product is top notch for someone who keeps their stimulant intake pretty controlled (rarely go over 250 mg's of caffeine per serving on a regular basis). The focus and mood boost are some of the best I have ever experienced. I get so dialed in that moving between exercises is seamless and waiting my prescribed rest intervals between sets is borderline impossible due to the increased drive. I know this has to be the DMHA and Eria Jarensis because I am familiar with all of the other ingredients found in this product. The combination is genuinely one of the most potent I have had in a long, long time. The best part is that even though I am extremely energized and driven, I never feel out of control or uneasy like I do when I push my caffeine intake too far. The energy and focus are so elevated that I do experience a mild "come down" once I leave the gym, shower and get in the car to head to work. I wouldn't call it a crash by any means though and the best part is that the dropped off level is still so much higher than what other products provide and my energy and focus are elevated for a large portion of my day afterwards (like right now at 10 AM when I took Kraken at 5 AM).

The pumps on this product are great as well. They're a very dense type of pump which is hard to describe but those who have felt them should know what I mean. My muscles don't "balloon" up as much as they would with some other pump-specific products but they just feel incredibly solid and they come on QUICK (like before the workout even begins). My endurance is noticeably better when on this product and I think that's honestly due to the increased energy and focus. It just makes weight that would normally seem like a challenge, feel lighter and like I am more in control as I move through each working set.

As mentioned before, I snagged this beast of a preworkout on a BOGO free sale making each serving/workout effectively a dollar. For a dollar per workout, this product is hard to beat in my opinion. Even at the regular price putting it between $1.50 and $2.00 per serving, this product is still worth it for the insane energy/focus and incredible drive to move heavy things. Keep in mind that those with a higher stimulant intake may not be blown away as I am but I don't foresee this product being out of my stash any time soon regardless of what price I am able to pick it up at.

Side Effects

I do experience a mild "come down" as referenced above and some serious dry mouth afterwards but I am drinking water all day every day any way so that's easy to circumvent.

Conclusion

This is far and away my favorite preworkout on the market. I don't see anything else I could add to it at this point as I have thoroughly enjoyed every single workout while using this product. My only concern is the safety and compliance aspects of DMHA and Eria Jarensis and I am eagerly looking forward to any data that can be found regarding those aspects. I am not saying that I suspect this product to contain anything illicit in it but you honestly never know with newer to market ingredients so any reassurance to that effect would be nice.

February 20, 2017

• BCAAs
    • Convenient
    • Inconsistent Mixability

While contemplating what other useful reviews I could submit on products I had tried recently, I realized that I had been using this product for several years now with no complaints due to the cost effectiveness and above average chocolate flavoring.

When the protein spiking fiasco started a while back, I was concerned that MuscleTech might have been partaking in the same deception due to the below average pricing. I was relieved to notice after the issue started becoming more mainstream that MuscleTech added a disclaimer to their product indicating there was additional creatine and amino acids that were not included in the 20 grams of whey protein count. While some criticism has been provided regarding the relatively low amount of protein per serving, I have no qualms about that amount of protein and it's still one of the better values that can be found when you divide the actual grams of protein per bag by the price itself (normally $39.98 for six pounds/68 servings).

I have only used the chocolate flavor and it's not mind-blowing but it is enjoyable. It is very reminiscent of the chocolate milk (think Nesquik) that I drank as a kid. I have drank protein powders that are more enjoyable but certainly not enough to justify the more expensive price per serving/protein content in my opinion. The one downside I can think of is the mixability is inconsistent. Some times it will mix to the point that I do not even notice there was powder in the shaker and other times it can be prone to clumping. It's not a huge concern by any means but worth noting for the sake of honest criticism.

I was unsure how to rate effectiveness of a protein powder. I went with an 8.5 since it does exactly what I need it to which is supplement my daily protein intake. It would be no different than consuming my protein through whole foods but the convenience and price factor make it an easy choice to keep it in my pantry and daily regimen.

This is hard to beat, in my experience, from a value standpoint. While there are deals from time-to-time that can have a similar or better bang for their buck, being able to consistently grab a bag of this anytime I'm running low for such a solid price makes it my go-to source as indicated in the title.

Side Effects

I haven't noticed any unusual GI distress but anyone susceptible to issues with lactose might struggle as is the case with any whey concentrate.

Conclusion

This is definitely a product I would recommend for anyone who is budget-conscious but doesn't want a product they dread drinking on a regular basis. This only applies for Sam's Club members but I am sure there are plenty who have a membership or who have a family member that could hook them up should they want to take advantage of this value.

February 13, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Nice Amount Of Caffeine
    • Effectively Dosed
    • Dye Free
    • Actual 1 Scoop PWO
    • Disclosed Label
    • On The Expensive Side
    • Not For Stim Tolerant

In the interest of full disclosure, I received this product via a forum promotion quite some time ago. After putting it through its paces to get what I would consider a fair assessment of the product, I reviewed the supplement as agreed upon and, after doing so, I shelved a bit under half a tub (~10 servings) to work through the surplus of other pre-workouts I had accumulated through various deals (BOGO free, BOGO 50% off). After recently finishing a tub of PreSeries Bulk, I found myself looking through my pantry for something else to try instead of moving onto my second tub of Bulk and that's when I decided it was time to finish off my Pre-Kaged. In doing so, I found myself enjoying the product even more than I did during my first go-round and felt it worthy to be reviewed on this site which has gained a ton of traction as the go-to source for unbiased feedback.

For anyone remotely familiar with pre-workout supplements, it's easy to see that Pre-Kaged is a homerun on paper. With 6.5 grams of pure l-citrulline, a whopping two grams of taurine, solid doses of two forms of l-tyrosine and a sweet spot (for my preferences) of 274 mg's of PurCaf, which is 90.5% caffeine by weight netting ~248 mg's of actual caffeine, the additional BCAA's, hydration and antioxidant blends are just icing on an already ergogenic cake. Factor in the lack of artificial additives and you'll have a hard time finding a more well-rounded product.

For the longest time this product was only available in fruit punch. I cannot remember a time when a fruit punch flavor would be at the top of my list of preferred flavorings so I was not overly excited about this one either. With that said, it's a surprisingly mild flavor that is identifiable as fruit punch but not overbearing by any means. The product mixes relatively well considering the serving size but a few swirls of additional water when drinking the last few drinks is necessary to avoid leaving any residue behind. Being mindful of my caffeine intake, I did start out by measuring each scoop of powder to ensure I was getting the desired dosing. I found that filling the scoop to the top ended up being slightly more than the serving size indicated so I usually opted to fill it to the just below that to keep myself in check.

My initial assessment of Pre-Kaged was very positive but I would be lying if I said that the original price point didn't make it hard for me to justify buying another tub. After making my way through the second half of the tub, I found myself enjoying my workouts even more than I recalled from before. I recall having increased energy levels previously but didn't really note much in the way of increased focus or mood improvements but, for reasons I can't quite explain, those two aspects seemed much more prominent this time around. I look forward to the gym even more knowing that my energy, focus and mood will be boosted which carries over into the start of my work day which is always a plus.

Additionally, I found the pumps and vascularity to be quite noticeable when training fasted previously but I am now using 25 grams of Cutler Nutrition's Total Carb and the pumps have been taken to another level completely. The synergy between the l-citrulline and the fast-digesting carbs is a combo I don't see myself straying from anytime soon.

I never notice huge increases in endurance from pre-workouts as I find nutrition and adaptation to my training program are what really drive my ability to squeeze out more reps in a given workout. I do see myself recovering between sets a bit quicker when using Pre-Kaged and my recovery between gym sessions seems to have increased slightly as well. With that said, the majority of any lifter's progress will be dictated by their training and diet so don't expect a pre-workout (even one as well-rounded as Pre-Kaged) to be a substitute for consistency in the most important aspects of your protocol.

As mentioned above, the price point was a barrier before simply because of the myriad of options available with competitive price points. Based on my newfound level of enjoyment of this product, I am confident that I'll be pulling the trigger on a tub (or two) and giving their new crisp apple flavor a try in the near future. Thankfully, the sales I have seen for this product more recently have made it much more cost-effective than when originally launched and it's obvious that Kaged Muscle did not cut any corners with patented ingredients and effective doses of all key ingredients.

Side Effects

No adverse side effects to be reported here.

Conclusion

Pre-Kaged is a winner. I can say with confidence that supporting a company like Kaged Muscle that is trying to buck all of the trends that, in my opinion, have plagued the supplement industry for some time now, is a worthwhile decision. Pre-Kaged covers all the bases you would expect a pre-workout to cover and then some. I recommend this product to anyone looking for a clean, well-rounded product that does not try to geek you out via an overload of caffeine and/or novel stimulants that may or may not be on the market a year from now.

Overall
    Overall
    6.1
    6.1
    5.8
      February 12, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Disclosed Label
    • Research Backed Ingredients
    • Fully Dosed
    • No Dyes
    • No Proprietary Blends
    • Pricey

Update 05/09/2018:

Update 05/09/2018:
    I have been making an effort to work through the backlog of open products and have also been working out on my lunch break at work since there is a nice gym about seven minutes from my office. Using PreSeries Bulk after having a solid breakfast a few hours earlier has seemed to eliminate the nausea that I was experiencing when taking on a completely empty stomach first thing in the morning. I don't believe I can update my score but I would bump the effectiveness and overall score up to an eight or so if I could. Value is still tough but it would most likely increase as well given my newfound appreciation for the production.
    -----

I'm a fitness enthusiast who has been in the gym and using supplements for over 10 years. I love the feeling of progress and find the weights to be a great stress reliever. I'm not pursuing any particular goal other than staying consistent and staying injury-free as long as possible. Putting on more mass has always been my focus and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've represented two different companies via online forums in the past. I am certified as a personal trainer through NASM but do not have plans to pursue that as a career due to familial responsibilities.

I decided to post this review because I was looking up reviews on Inspired Nutraceuticals DVST8 White Cut and was reminded how beneficial authentic reviews from experienced users can be in making purchasing decisions. I'm hoping my input will prove valuable to other as well.

The profile on PreSeries Bulk is one of the cleanest I've seen in a long time. It's rare to see ergogenic aides dosed so generously with less than 300+ mg's of caffeine and more than 20 servings per container. I am very conscientious of my caffeine intake and have ultimately passed on many other well-dosed products due to the stimulant content.

Not only is the caffeine content moderate, a 2:1 ratio of l-theanine to caffeine puts it in a small category of products that don't aim to load you up with a stimulant kick only to drop you off just as quickly after the workout. The inclusion of the other ingredients for testosterone support and those which require continued dosing to benefit from (like beta alanine) don't hurt the product but are difficult to rate in a pre-workout setting where immediate benefits should be the focus.

Overall, as my title implied, I think it's a clean and well-rounded profile that seems to genuinely aim to improve your performance without relying on heavy-laden stimulants.

This product is average at best in the taste department. I have never let the taste of a supplement, other than protein powder, affect my use of a product and this is no exception. Transparent Labs clearly didn't overdload it with artificial sweeteners and the majority of the flavor seems to be driven by the citrulline-malate which has a very tart taste on its own.

Mixability for this product was decent. As expected with so many ingredients and such a large serving size, there will typically be residue left in your cup that can easily be taken care of with amother ounce of water swirling around afterwards.

I never went above one not quite heaping scoop so the container lasted quite a while only working out an average of four days a week.

I enjoyed my workouts using this product for the most part (see side effects below). I didn't feel like it improved any one area of my workouts to a truly noticeable degree but that should be expected given the jack-of-all trades approach the product clearly took.

Energy was decent considering the relatively moderate stimulant content and the focus was increased more so than what caffeine alone produces but I don't think this will appeal to most seasoned pre-workout users. I would be hard-pressed to attribute any increase in endurance and pumps to this product.

I purchased this product because it was on sale as a buy one, get one 50% off at esupplements.com. I just finished the first tub within the last month or so and am contemplating if/when I'll crack open the other tub. While the product is packed with ingredients and 30 servings per tub, it's hard to justify this product over others on the market with similar offerings and more tangible benefits during the workout itself.

Side Effects

I am not entirely sure what caused it but towards the last half of the tub I started experiencing nausea like clockwork, roughly 30 minutes after ingesting my scoop in the mornings on an empty stomach. I can't help but think the dose of beta alanine might have been the culprit as the nausea almost always started when the paresthesia (tingles) kicked in.

Conclusion

I commend Transparent Labs for their commitment to producing clean products with proven dosages of validated ingredients. I can't recommend this product considering the lack of standout performance improvements and the standard pricing which is much higher than other tried and true products I've used.