bctuthill

Total Reviews

MVRs

Votes Cast

*Rookie League

Comments

*Rookie League

Try Requests

First Bloods

Forum Posts

*Rookie League

*Rookie League = only among other members in their first year on SR. bctuthill will be eligible for rookie league trophies for another 54 days.

Reviews by bctuthill

Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  August 12, 2017

• Great Dosages
  • Great Pump
  • Clinical Dosing For Ingredients
  • Too Sweet

Hi Everyone, I'm here with a review on what must be one of the most hyped up supplements of 2017-- and for good reason! Thanks to RedCon1 for being a supporter of the TROOPs program, and I hope we've been able to deliver some good insight for potential consumers and Redcon1 themselves. This stuff is a legit preworkout that needs to be tried!

I've decided to try a new approach to ingredients sections. I found that with preworkouts and multivitamins especially, the ingredients can be a little overwhelming. I'd been finding myself focusing only on key ingredients in these situations, and I think that had a negative impact on the review overall. Going forward, I will be listing out each ingredient with its intended effects then saving these to a library for quicker input and more thoroughness in the ingredients section.

Citrulline Malate - I'm assuming this is a 1:1 mix, otherwise I'm sure Redcon would've made note of it being 2:1. Citrulline is great for pumps and once ingested is converted to arginine in the kidneys. It is more effective than consuming straight arginine. Total War includes 6g of this stuff which is a very solid dose. The only PWO I think I've seen with more than that was Nutrex's Outlift at 8g. According to studies, Citrulline will have a noticeable effect in decreasing muscle soreness and fatigue, and a minor drop in blood pressure (due to vein expansion). It also causes a noticeable increase in nitric oxide levels and training volume, and a minor increase in overall bloodflow.

Beta Alanine - Clinical dosing of BA calls for 3.2g. That's exactly what we get in Total War. Beta Alanine comes into play after anaerobic exercise has transitioned to aerobic exercise, after 60 seconds or so of continuous stress on the muscles. It helps to buffer acid build up so that immediate muscle soreness is less noticeable. It's a great ingredient for cardio-minded workouts, including HIIT or timed circuit training.

Agmatine Sulfate - As arginine is a metabolite of citrulline, agmatine is a metabolite of arginine. You and I will want to use agmatine because of its effect on eliminating governors that limit nitric oxide levels and increased vascularity, but it's also used to alleviate neuropathic pain and treat drug addiction and depression. In fact, it's most promising study shows a drastic decrease in depression with patients dosing 2-3g. One little thing to note for the greenies... apparently agmatine is a good thing to take if you're going to smoke some weed. According to examine.com it enhances signaling to your CB1 cannabinoid receptor. Sweeeet duuuuuude...

Taurine - Taurine is important stuff. With all the pump products in a product like Total War, you could easily get too pumped! Taurine helps prevent that. It's great for staving off cramps, can increase blood flow significantly, and can slightly increase your overall exercise capacity.

Caffeine Anhydrous - Yummy caffeine. Total War hits you with 250g. That's my personal sweet spot where I'm wide awake and ready to go, but don't feel like a cracked out squirrel. Caffeine Anhydrous is probably the most common stimulant out there, and it basically improves your ability to do anything-- to run, lift, think, stay awake, reason, work... You get it. Personally, I think I'd just shrivel up into a raisin without it. But be careful, too much caffeine can leave you jittery, increase your heart rate and blood pressure, and increase your cortisol levels and anxiety.

N-Phenethyl Dimethylamine Citrate - What now? Maybe you've heard of Eria Jarensis? Well this is basically it's active compound. Its molecular structure is similar to DMAA, making it a potent, but not overwhelming stimulant

2 Aminoisoheptaine - AKA DMHA, AKA Octodrine, this is another twin (sorta) of DMAA and stimulant. There isn't a ton of research out there yet, as it's still relatively new to the supplement world. What we do know is that is wakes you the F*** up and gets you moving! Sides are similar to caffeine and you shouldn't exceed 300mg.

Di-Caffeine Malate - Here we have caffeine fused with malic acid, typically in a 3:1 ratio. Ever take a PWO loaded with caffeine only to find yourself jacked up in a bathroom stall? This is Total War's method to prevent that. The malic acid works to prevent digestive issues in the stomach. Through personal experience it also seems to last longer and have less of a crashing effect than caffeine.

Theobroma Cocao extract - AKA Theobromine (I think?). This is a common, but minor stimulant. It won't cause quite the crash that you may get with caffeine or DMHA, and I think that the intent here is to lessen the crash of Total War overall.

Higenamine - This is a anti-asthmatic and fat burner that's banned by most competitive sports organizations. It's a natural compound, and there aren't a ton of studies on it from what I can find. It stimulates receptors that spark lypolisis and triggers the body to burn fat.

Bioperine - This is black pepper extract, and it's mainly used in supplements to increase absorption and make the ingredients more biologically available to use.

As a cumulative group, every one of Total War's ingredients are effectively dosed. If you cross reference with a site like Examine.com you'll find that most ingredient doses fall right in the middle of their effective range. That's great to see.

Mixability: No problems at all, and no noticeable settling. I always mixed this with a shaker.

Dosing: 1 scoop 20-30 minutes before working out. Never exceed 1 scoop.

Taste: Meh... I wasn't crazy about the flavor. I requested and received sour gummy bear because I can't stand overly sweet PWOs. But, that's exactly what this was. I found that it was actually sweeter than Vaxxen Lab's Fulcrum Bombsicle flavor. That was pretty surprising. However, in general it wasn't really bad. Just too sweet for my taste. I never had a problem drinking it though.

A few days ago I saw someone on here write about how some PWOs take time to really kick in. That was kind of my experience with Total War. While I did feel an immediate boost and got a decent workout, after a week or so of taking it daily it continued to get better. I'll break it down by category in terms of effectiveness:

Energy: 6-8/10 - If 5 is having no trouble getting out the door, but not really being jacked up at all, the first few days were a 6. I just had a little extra energy. By day 7 I was at a solid 8. Wide eyed and ready to hit the weights. The energy levels were smooth, never spiking, and with no real crash afterwards. It's a level of stimulant that newbies would likely be pretty shocked by, but old PWO vets would find just above average. I thought it was perfect for me after a week or so.

Pumps: 7/10 - It wasn't the craziest pump experience I've had, but it was respectable. Surface veins were out immediately and close to maximum dilation, but none of the tougher veins to pop were showing like in my chest, shoulders, lower abs, or legs. It was enough to have great recovery time and decreased muscle soreness, but never groundbreaking.

Focus: N/A - I can never really rate this one because I take adderall daily, so the review wouldn't be fair. I never really notice much effectiveness in this section because everything has a fall off if I don't take it in conjunction with the adderall and when I do I just feel normal.

Crash: 9/10 - Never experienced much of a crash at all while taking this

Strength: 8/10 - It's tough to achieve a 10/10 without creatine and Alpha GPC, but generally speaking I felt strong while taking it. There were a lot of other things at play in my stack, but I felt comfortable hitting that extra rep or two with each lift.

The best price I found for this was at Amazon for $31.67. Not bad, still over $1/serving, but not by much at all. For the effectiveness and the full 30 servings, I think it's fair. Keep in mind that you'll also want to cycle off high stim PWOs like this, so it's not like it will cost you that much every month. Also, Redcon is great about discounts. Keep an eye out for this stuff on fitnessdealnews.com or priceplow.com. Sometimes their reps will even text you to offer deals.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I'm thrilled I had a chance to try this stuff, and I've already started recommending it to friends and coworkers who ask me for suggestions. I'd say it lands squarely among my top-3 PWOs along with Nutrex Outlift and Vaxxen Labs Fulcrum. If you're in the market for a well-rounded, high stim choice that won't leave you jamming in the bathroom stall with GI issues, this is a good choice!

Thanks to IdealRaw for sending it out!
  July 30, 2017

• Gut Health Support
  • Immunity Enhancement

Per my M.O. of late, my apologies to IdealRaw for being slow to get to this review. Simultaneously, thank you for giving me a shot to try this unique supplement. IdealRaw posted a host of products to the troopers dash when this came out, and with the results of these little capsules, I'm sorry I didn't claim more! Without further adieu, let's take a look at this shroom-based wellness concoction...

On the cover label of Defense we've got a picture of ginger root with some mushrooms and turmeric. However, there's a lot more at play here. You do have a fungus base of 3 types of mushrooms, so let's start there: Reishi, Shiitake, and Maitake mushrooms are all equally represented at 100mg.
    > Reishi mushrooms are funny looking flat fungi that grow on trees. They can grow to be quite large and have a waxy outer membrane that almost makes them look like glazed pottery. Benefits include defense against tumor growth and cancer, liver detoxification, heart health and blood pressure balancing, hormone balancing, diabetes prevention, prevention of allergies and asthma, and reduced risk for viruses and infections.
    > Shiitake mushrooms also grow on wood, and are more typical-looking mushrooms that have a sort of furry looking outer membrane. They're very common in cooking and provide benefits that include an ability to fight obesity, support immune function, destroy cancerous cells, support cardiovascular health, serve as an antimicrobial, balance hormones and boost brain function, and promote skin health.
    > Maitake mushrooms are the strangest looking of the bunch, also known as the hen of the wood (I'm noticing a theme here), they grow on trees and sort of look like a bunch of tail feathers. They provide similar benefits as the other two, including being a good source of vitamin D, disruption of cancer progression and an ability to aid in prevention, immune system health, antioxidant, and it's natural alpha-glucosidase inhibitors can aid in stopping the progression or onset of diabetes.

These were the most unique ingredients contained in Defense.

Also present are a host of other whole body wellness staples. For example, Ashwagandha root. It isn't very heavily dosed, but Ashwagandha can promote healthy testosterone levels and reduce cortisol levels to fight stress. Also, Turmeric at a 4:1 extract ratio and 400mg overall. Turmeric has gained notoriety of late, because it seems to heal everything. It fights stress, improves skin, is an antioxidant, fights cancer, is an antidepressant, anticoagulant, anti-inflammatory... and all this while running a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. No wait, that one was Batman. Jokes aside, one quick side note on turmeric for the parents of picky eaters... I discovered that if my 3 year old won't eat something, I can sprinkle some turmeric on top, turn it yellow, and tell him it's minion food. Then it gets eaten right away. If your kids won't eat and are obsessed with those little yellow pill people... try it out!

A healthy dose of zinc, 50mg, is more than I see in my ZMA by ON (30mg in that one).

Ginger Root at 50mg is an anti-inflammatory, prevents/stops nausea, helps arthritis, reduces risk of heart disease, again, the list goes on.

I could continue, but instead I've posted the label. The ingredients all kind of follow the same trend: anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, blood-glucose support, healthy hormone levels, cortisol reduction, etc.

It's a blend that goes beyond virus and infection protection and looks at the whole health of the user's mind and body.

3 pills daily. I took them at breakfast. There was a little bit of a funkiness to the pills themselves each time you took them, but it wasn't at all overwhelming.

This is a tough supplement to gauge. Luckily I had all this time off from it to determine where it may have had the most direct impact. However prior to getting to that, I'll say this: when I started taking this, I'd just picked up a cold from my kid. I started this within 24-hours of getting to the point where I realized it definitely wasn't allergies and that the feverish achy feeling was real. Within another 36 hours all my symptoms were gone. Mind you, I was exercising, sweating out the bad stuff, and drinking lots of fluid, but that's par for the course any time I get sick. This definitely seemed to assist.

Besides that, I can't say I noticed anything eye-opening when taking it. However after I stopped I noticed some fall offs. First was wakefulness. I stacked this with Gotu Kola, so there may be some confusion there as far as which to attribute this too, but both probably helped. Since ending, I've been a little more tired as my alarm goes off each morning, and get a little more fatigued in the afternoon. I also noticed myself second guessing my decisions more, blaming myself more, and in general having a bit of fall off from the alpha dog mindset. I've since added in ashwagandha and ginger from other sources and its returned. I think they were the responsible ingredients for that.

$39.99 for 60 servings at IdealRaw.com. That's a very fair price for the benefits. Take that $0.66/serving pricetag all day.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, this stuff seemed to do a lot. I felt better mentally and physically while taking it. When you have a demanding job, or just demand the most from yourself, you really can't afford to have a let down. This stuff will assist. It has everything you need to feel, look and be healthy, inside and out. It's a unique blend of ingredients that I've never seen elsewhere, and it's worth exploring for anyone. Thanks again IdealRaw, this stuff was great and I look forward to seeing what you come out with next!

Thanks to Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending it out!
      July 28, 2017

• Leaning Effect
    • No Way To Measure A Serving From The Bottle
    • Minor GI Issues

Hi everyone. I think I'm due an apology for my late reviews. I'm trying my best to keep up with work, wife, kids, and life... I think I'm losing. Regardless, I'm excited to review RC's L-Carnitine 3000, especially because the reviews have been all over the place. Carnitine is funny stuff. You seem to either love it or hate it; it works or it doesn't. For me, it works, and it works quick. This was also my first RC product and I was excited to try the brand of the legend himself.

Straight liquid L-Carnitine at a whopping 3g dose.

Swe...

Straight liquid L-Carnitine at a whopping 3g dose.

Sweetened with sucralose.

Dosing: 1 tbsp, 1 time daily is more than enough. Maybe every other day even, or 2 on 1 off. It depends on how you respond.
    Mixability is up to you. I had fun with this. I had the green apple flavor and played around taking it straight, mixing in ice water, mixing with juice, every time it worked well-- this is a clear viscous liquid.
    Taste: Candy is the best way to describe it. The green apple flavor I received tasted just like a jolly rancher. I spent the first half of the bottle taking it as a shot and thought it was great. It was very sweet yet tart and if you thought of it as candy it was really tasty. Mixing with water or drinks seemed to actually make the taste more pronounced. A few times I drank it on the rocks and that was nice too. Half the fun was actually thinking of new ways to ingest the stuff!

So, as I stated, not everyone responds to Carnitine. On Examine.com they claim it's completely ineffective unless your deficient. Personal experience would make me doubt that. I always respond to carnitine, and I respond quickly. For me it does two things reliably: Provide mild, smooth energy and makes a dent in belly fat. I can't find any research on it, but Carnitine in general seems to have a repartitioning effect on me too. If I take it before a major cheat meal I just seem to have less bloating the following morning.

I took this at night by mistake, not thinking on one occasion and it had me tossing and turning for a couple hours. It's a crappy way to measure the effectiveness of the energy boost, but it did make it's efficacy clear. Typically, I was taking it in the morning, after my workout and before I headed to work. I would have already had some PWO a couple hours earlier, and it seemed to effectively stave off any crashes of any kind. However, I can't really attest to added energy in the gym because of the timing. Even if I took it before, the results would be clouded by the stimulants in the PWO.

As far as weight-loss goes, I did have some overlap with other products; so to ensure I was measuring the effectiveness of the weight loss component accurately, I took time off here and there to see if I noticed a fall off. I know this works for me because of how quickly I respond to this stuff. I did notice a fall off. In my first week (I'm already lean to begin with FYI <7% bf), I noticed that by day 5 I was feeling surface veins in my lower abs. By day 7 those veins were visible. I then took some time off of it, ate normally, and returned to normal bf% within 2-3 days. I continued that cycle throughout the bottle. I actually don't like being too, too skinny. It makes me too susceptible to injury and I'm not crazy about how it looks either. Regardless, the Carnitine was clearly having an impact on my weight. The scale would drop in conjunction too. Over the course of 7 days I'd drop from 225 to 218. Normally I fluctuate between 225 and 222. This stuff just always kept it on the lower end between 218 and 222. If I'd run the full month without breaks, I can only imagine where it would drop to. I didn't want to find out.

This is a great value for what you're getting. The best price I saw was on Muscle & Strength's website at $15.99 for 31 servings. That's $0.52/serving. Not bad at all for the fact that it's a superdosed liquid. This is a premium Carnitine any way you look at it.

Side Effects

There was one slight side effect. That ties into the apparent effects of repartitioning I mentioned earlier. Quick science lesson on the method by which Carnitine works: it doesn't really induce ketosis, but it does help shuttle triglycerides (fat cells) into the cellular mitochondria to be used for energy. Normally, carbs are your body's #1 energy source. With that in mind, if I'd take this before a big cheat meal (usually buff chick pizza for me), I'd find myself spending some time on the porcelain throne afterwards through the next day. The only thing I can attest this to is my body shuttling the carbs out of the digestive system instead of using them for energy, and retaining the fat molecules to use instead. I know one reviewer said he had major problems with this, but for me it was minor at best.

2nd thing- not really a side... stickiness. This stuff will get very sticky if you let it dry on a spoon or on your counter. Avoid that!

Conclusion

The deal here is you need to be a responder. If you are, this stuff is great. If you aren't, that isn't going to change, I don't think. If you don't know, give it a shot and find out. I can't think of a tastier way to take in carnitine... well maybe I can, but until I see carnitine gummy bears, this is going to be the closest thing. Thanks to RC for giving me a chance to try this stuff. Much appreciated and I will probably go back for more very soon!

Thanks to Nature Restore for sending it out!
      July 22, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Reduced Fatigue
    • Increased Vascularity
    • Inexpensive
    • Natural

What's up SR- Today we're going to be taking a look at Nature Restore's Gotu Kola 500. This is basically one of those ancient Asian remedies, and it's supposed to help with a host of ailments including poor circulation, low energy, and depression/anxiety. How does it stack up when added to the diet of a westerner? Let's see...

Nature Restore is doing things a bit differently than others in the supplement industry. They're mainly focusing on 1 ingredient, natural herbs and powders, delivered in capsules. With that, this is just straight up Gotu Kola with 90, 500mg capsules.

No taste- No mixing.

Slight grassy aftertaste.

3 pills daily. I took them in the morning with food.

I noticed this working most in two areas: circulation and energy. There was nothing profoundly noticeable at any time, but rather it was a slowly building cumulative effect that became apparent more towards the end of the bottle.

The first thing I noticed was the vascularity increase. Instead of this coming in waves when I had just worked out or eaten carbs, I was more vascular at all times. When I did take something to compound the vascularity it became much more effective. Since finishing the bottle I've seen a visible decrease in surface veins while at rest.

The second thing I noticed was the energy. This was most apparent when my alarm would go off. About 20 days in I stopped hitting snooze, ever. I'd wake up at 5am no problem on 5-6 hours sleep most nights. It wasn't as though I didn't have any cobwebs to shake off, but I didn't have trouble lifting my head off the pillow and sitting up (always the hardest part). Throughout the day I wouldn't take notice of it either, but in hindsight I had to take in less caffeine throughout the day, and the afternoons didn't bring on quite as much of a crash after lunch. It would have been nice to have kept this going with a second or third bottle, but I did let myself run out.

I didn't notice any major changes in mood or behavior. But I'm pretty easy going in general and don't have much in the way of anxiety or depressed thoughts normally. However, in the winter I do, so I might pick up another bottle then to see how it combats those.

This stuff is cheap! Right now on Amazon you can buy it for $12.95. That's for 90 pills or 30 servings-- That's less than $0.45/serving! It's not a game changer by any means, but if you're an early riser and struggle with it at times, it's worth the cost of admission.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

Altogether this isn't the most exciting supplement in the world, but it did seem to work. To clarify what I mean by that... I really needed to stop taking it to notice the effects, as opposed to them being immediately apparent. There's nothing wrong with that, but I do think it's important to understand that this is something that simply builds up over time. At the price point this is selling for, I think it's a great option for someone that wants a little more energy throughout the day without relying on stimulants and the ups and downs that go along with them. Thank you NR for letting me test this stuff out and for being such stalwart contributors to SR. I really like this brand and think big things could be in store for them.

Thanks to AurumRX for sending it out!
      July 21, 2017

• Basic Profile
    • Fully Disclosed Ingredient Label

For the second time in a row, ArumRX has put together a supplement that I thought would be OK then totally went above and beyond my expectations-- especially in the flavor department. They're a relative newcomer out of Staten Island and I've really enjoyed both products I've tested by them. While taking this, I used 95%(ish) as a PWO for my morning lifts, then brought it to the office with me to finish as a replacement for coffee. It really shined in both settings and the thermogenic effects were off the charts when truly isolated.

Each ...

Each scoop contains 175mg of caffeine, 1g Beta Alanine, 1500mg Carnitine (50% Tartrate), and a proprietary blend with Tyrosine, Green Tea, and Yohimbe.

One thing I think would actually be nice is if they scaled BACK the caffeine and carnitine per scoop. If you had 150mg caffeine and 500mg Carnitine in each scoop, you could actually do a 3 scoop serving like the old NOXplode and max out at 450mg of caffeine and stay at 1500mg of Carnitine, but with an effective 3g Beta Alanine serving. Just a thought though. It would be nice to have closer to 3g of the BA there.

Dosing: 1 scoop standalone, or 2 scoops 20 minutes before a workout
      Mixability was great. Never any settling after a few shakes.
      Taste was incredible. In my opinion, lemonade flavored supplement powders usually suck. But this one was delicious. I believe the raspberry lemonade is their only flavor and that's fine by me. I'd order it again. I actually gave a buddy a scoop one day too and he said it might be the best tasting thing he's ever had-- period. It's that pineapple fruit powder man, I'm telling you. Everyone else needs to get on that wagon!!

In all honesty, I was not looking forward to starting this. I was just coming off of Fulcrum by Vaxxen labs which just had a laundry list of pump stuff, stim stuff, brain stuff, you name it. I just didn't think it could compare-- it was a tough act to follow to say the least. But it killed it! It was the most clean unadulterated PWO experience I've had in a long time. The thermogenic was very effective and I had a great sweat going every session. The caffeine was just straight anhydrous and hits you straight away, and with just 2g at 2 scoops I was definitely able to feel the tingles from the beta alanine. I wouldn't say I had the crazy pumps that come along with a citrulline laden PWO, nor the recovery time, but despite those ingredients not being included I still got great workouts in. I think the yohimbe and beta alanine really were able to standout without competition from a host of other ingredients.

Since the ingredient panel is so simple, I also used this as a replacement for coffee on a few occasions and loved it. I immediately felt the thermogenics kick in within 5 minutes, and energy spiked quickly. It stuck around most of the day, and while it did have a slight crash, it wasn't overwhelming like it can be with DMAA/DMHA.

Right now this is for sale on Amazon for 29.99. You're really going to want to do 2 scoops in most settings, so it breaks down to about $1/serving. I think that's actually a *little* high for such a simple ingredient panel, but it honestly tastes so good and was effective enough that I'm hesitant to complain at all. I think it's worthwhile. If you're able to do just 1 scoop, it's a steal. $.50/serving. Boom.

Side Effects

Nada. Nice thing about the simple ingredient panel-- nothing to send you running back to the locker room.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I'm really enjoying this new brand label and can't wait to see what else they come out with. This flagship PWO would be a great option for anyone, especially cardio-focused athletes looking for something that won't cause cramping. I highly recommend you give it a shot!

Thanks to BELDT Labs for sending it out!
        July 21, 2017

• Slight Thermogenic Effect
      • Heartburn

Sorry to the folks at BELDT for taking so long to get this review out. Sometimes life gets in the way, and it's tough to get in front of the keyboard. While taking SKALD I did a good amount of experimenting with the way I took it, and I'll dive into how that seemed to impact it's effectiveness. I didn't lose much weight while running it, but I also didn't pair it with a diet of any kind but wasn't hoping to lose much either. Here's the rundown:

This is a proprietary blend. The total blend is 336mg, and caffeine is the leading ingredient. According to older reviews, some users did find out the actual amount of caffeine and stated it to be 110mg per pill. The remainder consists of NALT, Green tea extract, bitter orange fruit extract, white willow bark, mullein leaves, theobromine, evodiae rutaecarpa, inula helenium, yohimbe, and bioperine. However, it does seem like the ingredient profile has changed as well. Reviews from a year ago cite a 394mg prop blend and the inclusion of lobelia herb. That seems to no longer be included.

As for the dosing, caffeine is fine at 110mg/pill or 220mg/serving. NALT might be in the effective range with 2 servings daily, but from there, I have my doubts. There just isn't enough stuff in the pill for all these ingredients to be effective.

NALT (N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine) is a nootropic that's gaining popularity and great for mood enhancement and cognitive improvement. Typical doses are 350mg, sometimes split up in smaller doses and taken throughout the day. There must be less than 110mg in each pill if we trust the past review and go in order of the ingredients. Let's say there's 100mg. That would mean that 4 pills per day would be necessary for an effective dose here.

Theobromine... that needs to be up around 350mg as well. No way you can have that much in here, probably not even with 4 pills.

Yohimbe is a well known ingredient too and great for energy and weightloss, all without needing much. As little as 15mg can be plenty. This little pill might support that here.

I played around with this quite a bit. The bottle calls for 1-2 capsules in the morning before eating, followed by another optional (1) pill in the afternoon-- all on an empty stomach. This is what I tried first. I didn't notice much of anything... except heartburn. Later I tried 1 before breakfast, 1 after I ate, and 1 in the afternoon. No dice; it didn't seem to have an effect. I then tried 2 pills after breakfast and had a nice thermogenic effect that lasted me a few hours in the office, but no energy increase whatsoever. Then I tried just 2 in the afternoon on an empty stomach a few hours after eating. Heartburn was the only effect again. I decided to stick with 2 pills after breakfast from then on.

No taste - no mixing *but they do have a powder version (FYI)

Besides the thermogenic effects I noticed when taking this after a meal, it really didn't do much else for me. I enjoyed that thermogenic effect, but did get frustrated when I'd take it and still be yawning at the office 30 minutes later. It was really kind of shocking actually. I do have a high tolerance for caffeine, but all the same, I can drink a 6oz coffee and wake up for at least a little while. This just seemed to do nothing in that department.

In terms of weight loss, I didn't see any, but I wasn't working for it either. On the same token, if I'm taking a supplement for it, shouldn't I have a little cushion as far as whether I need to work for it or not? Regardless, there was no change in the scale.

As for better breathing, they've changed the label at least once it seems, but the active ingredient in that department is the inula helenium and can be found right towards the end. I think they need to prioritize it a bit more. I wasn't able to find much information to verify the effective dose here, but I didn't notice a significant difference in my breathing at any time while using this product.

No complaints here. On PricePlow I see this listed at $25.99 and for other reviewers this stuff seems to have been more effective than it was for me. If that's the case, then this is a fair price right in line with competitors, minus those who simply market heavy and gouge the consumer. (Lots of those in the weight-loss category)

Side Effects

Heartburn. Bad, bad heartburn. It wasn't as bad when taken with food. That seemed to help provide a more full-body thermogenic effect.

Conclusion

Overall I think I'm the outlier when it comes to SKALD. It was nice as a mild thermogenic, but I just didn't notice the effects everyone else has raved about. I'm going to assume this is just a me thing, and if asked I'd recommend it according to the numbers. The positive reviews far outweigh the others. Go with that, I suppose.

Overall
      Overall
      4.8
      4.7
      4.9
      Thanks to BELDT Labs for sending it out!
        July 6, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Made In USA
      • Expensive For What Is Included
      • Low Dosage On Some Ingredients

Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look at this review. Also, thanks to Beldt labs for trusting this community to give honest feedback on your products-- that's what I'll be aiming to do here.

I want to start by saying I'm not an every day MV kind of guy by nature. I actually do make a point to eat lots of nutrients through vegetables and my efforts to do so usually result in me needing to take in more protein from powder-sources; so, my money usually goes to protein first. That aside, when I do take a multi, I almost always feel the effects of well-being and general mental/physical health. I wouldn't chalk that feeling up to placebos either. I take enough supplements overall to be mindful of what I should be feeling according to whatever is in the product. Unfortunately, I didn't feel much at all when taking Prizm.

It's strange for me not to feel, at least, something from a MV. Then I took a closer look at the label. Where I initially saw things like the "fruits and vegetable blend", Panax Ginseng, and CoQ10; I now saw 5mg, 5mg, 50mcg.

According to Examine.com, here are the recommended dosages of:
      Panax Ginseng: 200-400mg - Doses of 40mg *might* be bioactive
      Prizm: 5mg

CoQ10: 90mg - 200mg
      Prizm: 50mcg (side note: seriously?)
      (side note part 2: there are 1000 mcg in 1 mg)
      (side note part 3: that's 0.01% of the top end dose. You just ate a basis point)
      (side note part 4: I'm not very good at math. Someone might want to double check that)

However, then you have others at high dosages:
      Vitamin D-3 (the good one): 1000IU
      That outpaces competitors like Optimen, and meets the minimum sufficient dose. (Again, according to Examine)

Overall most of the ingredients are simply short changed. That CoQ10 though... that's like the measurement you'd get if you left the window open while you were working next door to another place making supplements with CoQ10 at legit doses.

Simple here- two daily with food. I took it in the morning with breakfast.

These are pills - No mixing or taste.

Pills are liquid caps- not powder caps or capsules.

I will say, my skin and hair are looking a little healthier. It makes sense that would be the case with the healthy vitamin D serving. They also use D3, which is the one that your body produces from the sun-- so that's good. Besides that, nothing really. I also got a little cold from my 3 yr old while taking it as well.

Again, not good. 30 servings for $15.99. That's $0.53/serving. Optimen I've found for $36.99 at 80 servings, or $0.42 per serving; and it has a better overall profile. Same with Megamen- that's often on sale but at full price is $19.99-- and that's for 60 servings! ($0.33)

The way I look at it is this: ON and GNC are the brands to beat from a cost and profile perspective when it comes to Multis. If you aren't going to do that, make something else.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I can't recommend this one... it just seems like a bad purchase all around. I don't know if Beldt is getting greedy with this one and trying to make a big margin, or maybe the liquid makes it more expensive, or maybe there are supply chain issues? Who knows what the case may be. What I do know is that there are simply better options available.

June 21, 2017

• Quick Recovery
      • Effective
      • Assisted With Doms ( Greatly)

Hi everyone- I'm throwing up a NON trooper review today. There aren't enough of these, if you ask me. What are the guys who get sent free supps going to go out and actually buy as a staple item? That says a lot on its own.

Today's review might be a bit boring in the grand scheme of things... It's not a crazy PWO that's going to have you bouncing around the gym like a proton, it's not a test booster that will have you searching the gym for more plates to rack up on your bench, it's not some miracle nootropic that's going to have you speaking mandarin by Tuesday-- it's Glutamine; and it's going to aid in your DOMS!!

This container lasted me forever it seemed, but for the most part I was hitting the gym 5-6 times weekly while taking this. My personal stats put me at 6'2'', 220-225lbs.

*L-Glutamine*

Taste: None- this is flavorless
        Mixability: meh... not great. It doesn't really dissolve. It will become suspended, but probably better in a smoothie than anywhere else if you don't want to be constantly shaking your drink.
        Dosing: You can take up to 3 scoops of this per day. At 225lbs (I'm usually closer to that side ofthe scale), I only ever did 1 scoop per day in my morning shake. I noticed the effects from that alone.

So how do you determine the effectiveness of glutamine? Stop taking it.

I ran out of this tub about a week an a half ago and haven't had time to order more. Since then, the DOMS have gotten worse and the weights have gotten heavier. I think we have a lot of glutamine haters out there; it's only conditionally essential and in a good diet you probably consume enough of it already. However, when you're training hard, your glutamine reserves plummit and fatigue sets in fast. It makes it harder to progress and the more you go to the gym, the worse it gets.

So here we have it- a really boring, no excitement supplement that can replenish those reserves day in and day out to help you keep up with yourself.

This is currently the #1 ranked glutamine on labdoor.com in terms of purity, and #2 in terms of value.

Honestly, if you've tried one you've basically tried them all. I know there's a big push for vegan or fermented options, which I do think have sound rationale behind them, but at the end of the day it's the same stuff.

To recap: this was effective in reducing DOMS and keeping my power output consistent daily.

Here's the kicka' - $10 for 66 servings. That's the price at Bodybuilding.com, walmart, amazon, stop & shop-- $10.

Amazeballs.

It might be derived from duck feathers and human hair- I don't know- nor do I care. But it isn't marketed as vegan fermented miracle powder like many of the newer/trendier options.

However, it works.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you've been wondering why your lifts on Mondays have been outweighing your lifts on Fridays, if your DOMS aren't fading, and if the weights are getting heavy, you might need glutamine. You might as well start with one that's proven effective and won't put a big dent in your wallet to see if it helps. Go grab a tub of Body Fortress with the change from between the seat cushions and get back to punishing the iron!

Thanks to Vaxxen Labs for sending it out!
          June 20, 2017

• Good Profile
        • Reduction Of DOMS
        • Can Be Mixed With A Spoon
        • No Digestive Issues

Update 06/23/2017:
        Update: The guys at Vaxxen saw that I wasn't a fan of the blueberry muffin flavor and sent over a bottle of the birthday cake. It's completely different and I like'd it a LOT more. Very nice of them to do, and beneficial because now I'm totally on-board with this being a very good tasting option in addition to being very mixable and digestible.

Update 06/23/2017:
        -----

I want to start here by thanking Vaxxen Labs for their patience as I worked to complete these reviews. Sometimes life gets hectic and it can be tough to keep up, but nevertheless it's on me to hold up my end of the deal as a TROOPer!!

While taking WheyXX, I was lifting 5-6 times weekly, usually in the morning and occasionally with a 2nd session in the afternoon.

Personal stats are 6'2" 220-225lbs, and I admit to relying on powder for a lot of my daily protein intake.

Vaxxen seems like a great up-and-coming brand. I tried their PWO and was floored by how good that was. Since then I've seen the rave reviews for their protein coming through. While I think this protein had a lot of upsides, I guess my taste buds must be different than our other reviewers. Here's my take:

The ingredients for WheyXX are very simple-- as they should be.

31g per scoop, supplying 24g of Protein in 125 calories, with 1.5g of total fat-- 1 of which is saturated, 2g of sugar, 3g of carbs, 1g of fiber, and 15mg of cholesterol.

The protein is a blend of whey concentrate and whey isolate, with concentrate being the primary ingredient.

For those who have trouble stomaching concentrate, Vaxxen also added Lactase to assist with digestion.

It is sweetened with sucralose.

I usually took this as a snack between meals. I'm a die-hard shake guy in the morning and like my routines, so I never (er... rarely) stray from using vanilla as my base, so the Vaxxen lived with me at the office. Typically I'd have 2 scoops around 3pm to make the final afternoon push.

I always mixed this in a shaker bottle without the little metal coil (because I lose them immediately). It mixed extremely well. I never had a single chunk. The powder itself seems a little more grainy and dry than some other whey products I've used and it resulted in a very mixable solution.

Taste: This is where I'm hung up. I received blueberry muffin... I wouldn't say this tasted horrible, but I definitely wouldn't eat a blueberry muffin that tasted like this. Honestly, for me, the smell was actually worse than the taste. I thought it smelled very chemical, and the first time drinking it, I plugged my nose. After I tasted it though I commented to whoever was with me at the time that it actually didn't taste as bad as it smelled. Still though, I got the essence of blueberry muffin, but found it to be a far cry from actual blueberry muffin flavor.

It's hard to gauge protein's effectiveness yada yada...

All the same, sometimes you feel better than others after consuming it. I'd say that Vaxxen's offering left me feeling good every time. I never felt bloated or weighed down, but it would always eliminate cravings or hunger for at least a couple hours or more.

There was also no increase in DOMS when switching to this; if anything, they went down. This is tough to attribute to the protein though because there are so many other things in my stack that could help this.

At the end of the day, Whey as a category has been scientifically backed to aid in muscle recovery, and this is a product produced with a blend of quality whey concentrate and isolate from a GMP-compliant FDA-regulated facility in the USA. Very trustworthy and reliable.

Another knock on the rating here. The best price I've found is 36.99 for 2lbs or 28 servings. That's about $1.32/serving and I consider anything over $1/serving in this category to be expensive. Some people can afford it and can justify the excess cost, but I'm not one of them.

There could also be the argument that this contains isolate which is always more money, but we have no real way of knowing how much is in there.

A breakdown in ratios might end the discussion on price though-- who knows?

Side Effects

No gas, no bloating, no discomfort, no acne, nothing. Maybe bad breath. That's all.

Conclusion

I think I'm the outlier here. Everyone loves the taste but me. Besides that, it's an excellent premium protein by all means when you look at the label. If it's in your budget and you want something new, I say give it a shot. Thanks again to Vaxxen for their patience. I'm pumped to see what else these guys put out!!

8.9
        Thanks to Vaxxen Labs for sending it out!
          June 19, 2017

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Improved Endurance
        • Pumps
        • Razor Focus

Hi Everyone, I'm looking forward to this review. Fulcrum was one of the best pre-workouts I've ever used and from everything I see, I think Vaxxen Labs could be a real up and coming brand name in the supplement industry. While taking Fulcrum, I was lifting in the morning typically, and making it into the gym 5-6 times per week. Some days I'd run an evening session too, but I'd only ever take the PWO in the morning.

I'm going to break down Fulcrum's ingredients by category, because they do fall into the trend of having a lot of "stuff" on the label. It's all fully disclosed, and I included a photo at the end so you can see exact dosages-Kudos for that.

Stimulants:
        Caffeine Anhydrous
        2-Aminoisoheptane (aka DMHA aka Octodrine)
        Theobromine
        Halostachine

Caffeine is my favorite, most reliable, and most trusted stimulant; but, as we all know-it can also make you crash pretty easily. Fulcrum does a good job with rounding out their stim category with other contributors that limit this from happening. DMHA is our new player to replace DMAA. This has also been attributed to crashing, but with Fulcrum I didn't notice that side effect. Theobromine is a derivative of Cacao Extract that provides a milder stimulation than caffeine, and has been touted as an ingredient to improve mood and blood flow. Lastly, Halostachine is closely related to ephedrine and mainly derived from Rye grass. This ingredient will actually demonstrate thermogenic effects, and can stimulate the release of adrenaline and noradrenaline into the bloodstream. This results in an increase of alertness, focus, and energy. With all of these stimulants grouped together, you get a very steady and even keeled buzz from about 15 minutes after you take it, until hours later when it quietly wears off.

Nootropics:
        N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT)
        Alpha GPC
        Huperzia Serrata

Nootropics are becoming more and more common in preworkouts. It's no longer enough to be amped up and get your blood pumping. The expectation seems to also be laser-like focus and an elevated mood. I'm not sure how much I buy into their effects or whether or not they're necessary, but Vaxxen did a good job with this one. N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine is becoming rapidly popular for its effects on supporting higher motivation levels, increasing focus, and improving mood. It should be dosed at 500mg or more, which is right where Fulcrum has it. Alpha-GPC goes a bit beyond standard nootropics. In addition to providing cognitive support (wheelhouse stuff for nootropics), it also increased power output (one study showed a 14% increase among athletes after supplementing) and potentially can lead to increased free-circulating growth hormone. Minimum dosage is usually around 300mg with 600mg being a target dose for athletes. Fulcrum falls short here only supplying 150mg. Lastly, Huperzia Serrata is relatively unstudied, but has long been used in Eastern Medicine to increase memory and fight cognitive decline. Usually it's dosed up to 200mcg, Fulcrum beats that with a dose of 300mcg. It's also recommended to be cycled every 2-4 weeks.

Pumps:
        Citrulline Malate
        Agmatine Sulfate
        Red Spinach Extract (aka Oxystorm)

The pump levels in Fulcrum are tremendous. I went into it a bit skeptical because Agmatine seems to be really trending, but I don't seem to respond to it typically. Not the case here. Fulcrum came in with a really solid dose for all the pump ingredients, and it turns out this Oxystorm stuff is quite legit! I've taken plenty of products with similar doses of citrulline and agmatine, and typically the two will work well in tandem. It was a whole different ballgame with the oxystorm. Usually citrulline will become noticeable for me in vascularity-but when taking fulcrum it was also the muscle swells that caught my attention. I couldn't help but notice how tight my skin would get over whatever muscles I was working out that day, and the pumps would typically last for a while after the gym too. All that pumpage really aided in recovery time between sets too. I couldn't stop!

Endurance:
        Beta Alanine

I have a love/hate relationship with Beta Alanine. I hate the tingles, but I know it works. I also notice that the tingles subside as I work out harder. So it actually motivates me by wanting to lose that uncomfortable feeling, too. This was dosed at 2.5g, significantly below the clinical dose, but solid all the same. I got the tingles, but they weren't torturous. I had no issues with fatigue either. I think 2.5g is probably enough, at least for me.

Miscellaneous:
        Vitamin B6 & B12

Note: There are no artificial dyes in Fulcrum, and it's made in the USA in an FDA-regulated, GMP-compliant facility.

Dosing was always 15 minutes or so before my lift. 1 scoop with about 12 oz. of water and there was hardly any settling. There was a good amount of foaminess, but that's it. The color of the powder and drink are a little strange. If you're used to seeing white-don't be shocked. This stuff is brown.

I received the cherry bombsicle flavor and thought it was good (for a PWO). It wasn't overly sweet, but it wasn't really tart either. I'm usually one to have trouble getting down supplements that have a bad taste, but had no issue with this one. Once I experienced how well it effected my workouts, it became my favorite taste anyway!

I honestly think I have a little separation anxiety from finishing this stuff. It was incredible. I almost always lift in the morning and only get 5-7 hours of sleep typically (usually closer to 5). I need a jolt to get me going and this did it. I also need to be mindful of a crash since I'm at work afterwards-none of that. It was a quick spike in energy every time that never left me falling hard. My focus was up a few ticks as well, and I found myself regularly adding a few extra lifts to my routine in every session. The pumps were ridiculous as well. That Oxystorm stuff seems to be the real deal, and I already knew I loved citrulline. Veins were always popping and muscles were swelling by the end of my first lift. The beta alanine was effectively dosed to provide increased stamina, but didn't make my face and hands feel like they were covered in fire ants. I also had no issues that sent me to the bathroom mid-lift. Not sure how they avoided that one, but they did!

Fulcrum is priced at premium, frankly because it is premium. Everywhere I looked it was $39.99 for 25 servings. That's about $1.60/serving. Definitely expensive, but keep in mind that it does need to be cycled because of both the stimulants and the huperzia. So you won't be spending that every month, even if it becomes your favorite go-to. You definitely want to cycle on and off, and definitely DON'T want to exceed the recommended dosage!

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you can afford it, buy it. Fulcrum is no joke. Its ingredient label wins when put head to head with just about any of the other top-tier preworkouts available. It really seems to cover all the bases for me: energy that's clean and sustained; pumps that let you check your pulse by sight; focus even when surrounded by yoga pants; and endurance that pushes you to go beyond what you'd slated for the day. Really good stuff, and really recommend giving it a shot. Vaxxen labs- well done!!