bctuthill

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 2 years, and was last online today

Reviews by bctuthill

Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
  July 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Digestion
  • Incredibly Foamy

The natural version of VMI's protolyte lacks flavor, is very expensive, and has significant issues with foaming.

I'd like to start by thanking VMI Sports for giving me a chance to try this. Natural, non-gmo supplements seem to be a growing niche in the industry as people become more aware of their food sources. I applaud their effort to try to penetrate this space, but I think this product needs a little more work to be a real contender in it.

I weigh over 200lbs and rely heavily on powders and bars to meet my macro needs when it comes to protein. This often means I'm taking in quite a lot of sucralose and doing so can cause some stomach discomfort. Having an opportunity to replace some of that artificial sweetener with something natural is something I'm always glad to have a chance to do.

I was also a big fan of the original Protolyte from VMI, so I had high expectations going into this one.

ProtoLyte Naturals has a serving size of 27.6g, which yields 21g of protein; this about 76% protein which I consider to be good, not great. Typically a whey isolate will have a higher protein content by weight. However, VMI also adds another ~1.2g of Minerals and Electrolytes to aid in recovery, which effectively brings the amount of "good stuff" to 80%. This is still below average for an isolate but my only real gripe is that it doesn't taste better with essentially 20% of the scoop being dedicated to taste.

The last things worth noting are that ProtoLyte also contains an enzyme blend to aid in digestion and is sweetened with Stevia.

This category was the deal breaker for me. In my opinion, it's the most important aspect of a protein.

Dosing: I typically took 1 scoop in the morning and 1 scoop after work but well-before dinner.

Taste: I was very surprised by the difference between ProtoLyte original and natural. The natural flavor really lacked the flavor I was expecting. It was very bland and had a noticeable bitter aftertaste from the Stevia. The vanilla was light yet noticeable, it might have been find if it weren't for the bitterness that followed.

Mixability: While I never had an issue with chunks, mixing in a shaker or in a blender resulted in an absurd amount of foam. I'd usually use the shaker with about 6oz of water, and the foam would end up filling the entire shaker bottle. I posted a picture at the end... what you can't see is the shaker ball buried beneath, and this was after shaking it, drinking it, commuting 20 minutes to work, responding to a few emails, then picking up the bottle to go clean it.

ProtoLyte was fine in terms of aiding in recovery and not causing digestive issues. I never had an upset stomach after drinking it at all, and my DOMS didn't change compared to how they typically are with the same protein intake. I will say that it didn't keep me full quite as long as my usual protein, but my usual protein is also a concentrate instead of an isolate, so that's not surprising. Overall this seemed very clean and I would have enjoyed using it if the taste and foam weren't so objectionable.

Right now I think you can only buy this direct from VMI for $49.99. That's $2/serving. Expensive, but if it tasted better and was natural it might be justified. Considering it's only 25 servings and I went through it in 12 days, it's probably not an option for me though. I'd need the flavor to improve and for a larger serving size to become available to bring down the cost per serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I wanted to like this... I really did... but unfortunately, I didn't. I like the idea and applaud the effort, but the foam, the taste, the price, all did it in for me. I have total faith in VMI as a company though and would gladly give version 2.0 a shot if they ever take this back to the lab. I don't think it would be a bad idea to even add real organic sugar to it either. I just don't think Stevia is the end all be all solution for natural supplement sweeteners.

Thanks again to VMI- look forward to seeing more from these guys in the future.

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  July 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Whole Food Sources
  • Convenient
  • Increased Recovery
  • Excellent Macro-Nutrient Composition
  • Mixes Well
  • A Bit Chalky

Redcon1's MRE has a killer Macro panel to translate from your shaker bottle to lean gains and the taste is good but not great.

I want to start by thanking Redcon1 for another awesome product sent out to the TROOPs for feedback.

I typically have a liquid breakfast that's high in protein following my morning lift. I also like to make sure I'm getting in my carbs. I don't fast myself from carbs to meet some kind of aesthetic goal, and am much more interested in overdosing on them to meet my daily physical goals instead. I also need to make sure I get plenty of protein every day to ensure I am well-fueled for my personal glory sesh celebrated daily from around 4:30-6am. This is why I elected to try MRE. It has a great macro panel that is high in protein and carbohydrates, but very low in fat. It seemed like the perfect meal replacement.

MRE's ingredients consist of a real food blend that result in an outstanding panel of Macros.

Each 4-scoop serving will yield 47g of protein, 75g of sugar, and 4g of fat with less than 1g being saturated. Altogether you are taking in 525k/cal per serving.

It's refreshing that the protein sources themselves are also not comprised of just whey and milk proteins, as is typically the case. Instead, MRE utilizes beef, salmon, chicken, egg, brown rice, and peas as protein sources. Similarly, while maltodextrin and dextrose are used later in the ingredient panel, the leading source of carbohydrates comes from rolled oats; and fat sources appear mainly to be MCT oil.

Overall, this is a blend I'd feel comfortable giving even to my child and which always sits well and seems to digest comfortably.

Dosing: I typically took this immediately after my workout at 6-6:30am as a replacement for my breakfast.

Mixability: 4 scoops of anything is a lot, but despite my expectations otherwise, MRE mixed well. I normally mixed by hand in a shaker bottle, and if I had the little wire ball in there I rarely got clumps. Without it, I'd usually have small clumps. Sometimes the powder would also get stuck and kind of cemented around the hole in the cap that you drink from and I'd need to push it back in to mix the rest. For the amount of powder used, it was very soluble.

Taste: I received banana nut bread and wasn't a huge fan. It wasn't terrible, but I did start to get sick of it by the end of the 2nd week. There was a noticeable bitterness in the aftertaste and it was pretty chalky, which I'm guessing is particularly a result of the beef and pea proteins. As I started to get sick of it, I began experimenting and found that mixing 3 scoops of the MRE and adding 1 scoop of a maple-flavored whey concentrate powder created a more well-rounded banana nut bread flavor. It took off the bitterness and made it much more palatable. This had an effect on the macros, effectively boosting protein content while reducing carbs and total calories slightly, but didn't seem to affect satiety.

With consistent use of MRE as a breakfast replacement, I noticed an improvement in body composition and was full for hours after drinking it. It seemed my DOMS were noticeably diminished and my body felt nourished for a long period of time.

The satiety was noticeably different than what I experience when using just whey protein sources. This blend of proteins that MRE contains all absorb at different rates with different levels of bioavailability.

Overall, it checked off pretty much every box of consideration for me when evaluating a meal replacement: mixability, satiety, macros, and taste. Again, taste wasn't the best, but it was drinkable nonetheless.

MRE costs about $80 anywhere you go. Sometimes there are sales, like right now there is a BOGO sale on the Key Lime flavor which I might spring for; but expect to pay $80 + taxes & shipping.

That seems like a lot but this is truly not just a protein shake. It's a legitimate meal replacement from real food sources. At 25 servings, I'm spending $3.20 per use but it was wholly replacing my breakfast. If that's my price target for breakfast I'd be hard pressed to find an option that would ever provide the same macros this does.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I plan to buy this again and would recommend it to others looking for a meal replacement as well. It's incredibly healthy and gave my body the fuel it needed to take me all the way to lunch most days. The price tag is steep to pay at once, but consider it your breakfast for the month. You may find the taste a bit off-putting, but it isn't terrible and tastes way better than egg whites and wheat germ. I say give it a shot.

Thanks again to Redcon1!

Overall
Thanks to Beast Sports Nutrition for sending it out!
  July 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • True Thermo Effect
  • Tastes Great
  • Unable To Time The Effects
  • Too Intense Even At Half A Scoop

Super Sauna worked pretty much just as advertised, but the effects were so strong I had trouble taking it on a consistent basis and they seemed to hit with a delay for no apparent reason. If you really want to sweat, this will work. Be prepared for some additional sides though.

First, a quick thanks to Beast SN for sending this out to me. I've been searching for a better thermogenic and this one made some really strong metric-based claims. After some reviews from other troopers, I decided to give it a shot. I'm trying to think of the right analogy for my experience with this but struggling. It was like I was searching and searching, thinking nothing would work, then throwing myself into the most intense, crazy option available to anyone. Skiing bunny slopes my whole life then thrown to backwoods glades... down a cliff? From kiddie roller coasters to being thrown out of a plane with a wing suit? Something like that.

I was hoping it would help shed a little water weight and boy it would've done wonders if I could've kept it up daily.

In Super Sauna you have a fully disclosed label, which is great.

Carnitine Tartrate (100mg) - This is a fairly low dose of carnitine, which is used to help your body favor triglycerides as fuel for the kreb's cycle, as opposed to carbohydrates.
Also contained is:
Gamma-Butyrobetaine HCl (25mg) - A precursor for the natural production of carnitine. While the carnitine dosage is low, the resulting carnitine production from GBB can be as much as 30x compared to dosing preformed carnitine from external sources. If accurate, this results in an additional 1,050mg of carnitine in your blood.
Grains of Paradise (30mg) - This is the thermogenic component of super sauna. This actually stimulates the burning of brown fat, which is technically good stored fat. Burning brown fat also burns off mitochondria stored within which can result in a powerful thermogenic effect.
Bioperine (5mg) - This is typically just used to increase absorption of other ingredients, but could also heighten the thermogenic effects of the product altogether.

Whoever formulates the flavors at Beat deserves a raise. Their stuff always seems to taste delicious. I received the Lemon Dropkick and it was fantastic. It was like high quality lemonade as you drank it, and gave you a little burn after swallowing that didn't linger but almost just served as a warning of what's to come.

Mixability was a breeze, one of the easiest mixing products I've ever used.

Dosing was tricky. The label didn't give too much guidance either. I tried with food, which was a mistake. That usually meant the onset came hours later. Without food and I ended up experiencing some sides. With just a little food accompanied with my PWO before the gym, and I was violating the recommendation not to use it before intense exercise and also experienced some sides. Ultimately, I couldn't get it down to a science and because of how effective it was when it finally hit, I could never take it consistently.

Holy cow. I've never sweat like I have on Super Sauna, at least not because of a supplement. At some seemingly random point after consuming it was like the flood gates opened. I felt flush, hot, sweat like I was actually in a sauna, then got cold chills, sometimes I felt feverish, I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom constantly, it was insane. Even when I reduced it to half a scoop I probably had 90% of the effects. This would've been great if I could have timed it during a time that it would be socially acceptable to sweat like a temptress in church, but those windows are quite small and the effects lasted AT LEAST two hours-- minimum.

The big problem I ran into with this was that the timing seemed to be randomly delayed and you had no idea when it would hit you. Sometimes it took literally hours. The bottle claims within 20 minutes, but I only experienced that once or twice. I took it on a few occasions at about 5pm when I got home from work and woke up sweating like crazy at 11pm and having some pretty crazy dreams that usually involved fires or volcanoes.

Despite never being able to take this on back to back days out of sheer fear of it, I did notice that it made immediate impacts on my composition. I am already lean, so I don't know that it would be universal, but if I ever sweat to the degree that this made me sweat I will notice it the next day-- mainly in the contrast and muscle segmentation. If I could've mustered the courage to plow through, I imagine it would have been a pretty drastic change, but because of how miserable the experience was when it kicked in, I just couldn't.

For 30 servings you can reliably buy this at bodybuilding.com for $19.99. That is a really great price point for this product, no issues there whatsoever.

Side Effects

- delayed crazy sweating (obviously the point of this product is to sweat but the delay was sometimes hours)
- cold sweats
- goose bumps
- GI issues
- chills
- minor nausea
(basically like giving yourself the flu for a couple hours)

Conclusion

I would recommend this product to people who are experienced with thermogenics and used to these types of side effects, but I would encourage anyone to approach with caution. I'd probably not recommend it to inexperienced people. I've taken about 5 thermogenic products and did not feel experienced enough to use this. I also tend to respond really easily to some things though, and this was the most GoP I've ever had in a single product. I have to give it the yes smiley face because it does exactly what it promises (more or less), but I will probably never touch this stuff again. This made the review very difficult to write fairly, so I hope I conveyed it all clearly.

Thank you to Beast sports though, it's always fun to me in a sick cathartic sort of way to be overwhelmed by any supplement still.

Thanks to Olympus Labs for sending it out!
  July 3, 2018

• Strength Gains
  • Alpha Male
  • Vascularity
  • Fat Loss
  • Pumps
  • Acne
  • 8 Capsules Per Serving

During my run with Test1fy I had multiple clear indicators that my testosterone levels were heightened. I saw big improvements in my weights on compound lifts and was very satisfied with both the physical and mental effects of this product.

Part 2 of my Olympus Labs stack. The results I'll be discussing were the combined effect of taking massacr3 and test1fy side by side. The two supplements complement each other by design, with massacr3 essentially providing the blueprint and test1fy providing the materials. It's up to you to do the construction!

Based on my research on the ingredients listed and the reviews from my fellow TROOPers, I believe I can effectively separate the effectiveness of both products but it should be noted that some of the improvements I noticed were certainly a result of the combo since there is some overlap in their intended use.

While taking this I stuck to a 4-5 day/wk rotation with little to no cardio included, except for shortened rest periods between sets. The typical rotation was lower body, pull day/back, push day/chest, arms/shoulders, and a full body day if the fifth day happened at all. Normally I do a compound movement like cleans, snatchs, squats, or deadlifts to start every workout, regardless of the main focus of the lift afterwards.

Since we're looking at a test booster that can be heavily affected by age, weight, and body composition, I'll add that I'm 31, about 220lbs, with lean composition around 8-12%.

I appreciate that Olympus Labs used a transparent label and trademarked ingredients when formulating and packaging test1fy.

Anacyclus Pyrethrum Extract (3.2g) - This is a whopping dose of an ingredient that has shown great promise for testosterone boosting in lab studies, mostly on rats. If you look at the studies listed on Examine.com, you'll see that the high-end recommended dose is 2.5g for a 250lb person. So, with this product I'm exceeding that recommended dose significantly while also weighing about 30lbs less than the recommended weight. This concerned me a bit at first because side effects of this ingredient can include headaches and canker sores, both of which I'm prone to, but at no point did I experience either one. Studies on rats have also shown increasing effectiveness through long cycles of taking this ingredient, as opposed to ingredients like D-Aspartic Acid which peak and fall off after 12-14 days then return to baseline. I'd say I noticed that building effectiveness in my run with it as well.

KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract (675mg) - Another whopping dose and a trademarked version of this ingredient, which is known to help reduce cortisol (stress) levels, improve blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, and increase power output.

LJ100 (100mg) - This is not as big a dose, about 50% of what you'd want to take if using as a standalone ingredient, but perfect for the intent here. I believe this was included mainly for its libido boosting properties as well as it's potential to further reduce cortisol levels and increase subjective well-being.

Pine Bark Extract (103mg) - standard dose; athletes supplementing with pine bark extract have exhibited reduced symptoms of fatigue. It is also effective for reducing inflammation and erectile dysfunction. These all lead to it pairing nicely with the other ingredients on the panel.

Mucuna Pruriens P.E. (500mg) - This is a pre-pre-cursor to the feel-good hormone Dopamine. It isn't a massive dose, but should be effective combined with the other ingredients.

Boron (6mg) - This is regularly touted to be a testosterone booster as well. In my experience I've never found it to be terribly effective, but it seems to be in everything. Studies have shown limited effectiveness as well.

Bioperine (10mg) - This helps with absorption of the ingredients.

Overall this ingredient panel is fantastic and well-rounded. You have some great dosages to start, and everything complements each other well. I'd expect noticeable testosterone increases from the Anacyclus Pyrethrum as well as a big libido boost, whereas everything accompanying it should aid in that libido boost further while also improving mood and focus.

No mixability.

This did have a bit of a spicy/earthy taste to it despite being a pill, but hardly noticeable and not bad either.

Dosing might be offensive to some. You need to take 8 rather large pills daily. I took them each day with a big lunch packed with carbs and protein.

I want to re-state that I used this product in tandem with massacr3 and would encourage anyone considering this to also do the same. They really worked well together and provided results that would be similar to a SARM or PH, in my opinion.

The claims made my Olympus Labs on the bottle are as follows:
- Increase Lean Muscle Mass: (YES) I noticed during my run that my waistline leaned out quite a bit. I had a few people mention to me that I looked thin and jacked by week 2. It's a nice compliment to receive but I had ways of noticing it myself. I had to cinch my belt another notch tighter, for instance. Normally if you're doing that you're sacrificing gains in the gym, but that wasn't at all the case. I had massive increases in weight on my deadlifts, snatches, and cleans. I also noticed improved muscle tone throughout my entire body and longer lasting pumps. My muscles felt more dense and I felt less fatigued throughout my workouts.

- Increase Testosterone Levels: (YES) Unfortunately, there are some crappy things that you can look for to tell if a test booster is working. One of them is pimples. I don't usually get many pimples but I grew a few planetary sized ones during my cycle. One popped up on my shoulder blade, another on my forehead, both around weeks 3 and 4. They were large and painful, but went away after treating them for a few days without ever becoming whiteheads. I also noticed that my forehead was more oily than normal and that I had a few black heads and little tiny pimples throughout most of the cycle. I was also a little rage-y, but that's harder to quantify since those people or things shouldn't have pissed me off in the first place!! That also seemed to last a week or so after my run (see my spaz on DMF in the Troop Chat).

- Decrease Estrogen Levels: (YES) For me this is noticeable by water retention mainly, of which I had none. As mentioned earlier, my body just leaned out significantly. I didn't seem to be retaining any water in my waist or love handles, and my wedding ring was a little looser on my finger.

- Improve Levels of Stress: (YES) Throughout my cycle I felt amazing. I had a great alpha-male mentality from the end of the first week to the end of the bottle. Not surprising considering the number of ingredients geared towards this effect. Things at work never overwhelmed me, even when dealing with some crazy situations that could've turned out to be really bad and affect a lot of people. I seemed to maintain my cool easier and was more composed and relaxed when dealing with clients and execs.

Really, really impressed with this one from top to bottom.

The best price I found for this was at BestPriceNutrition.com for $40.49 while using a priceplow 10% off coupon. The normal price ranges from $45.99 to $69.99. I find this to be a great value anywhere from $45 down. There are less expensive test boosters available on the market, but few that are even close to as effective.

Side Effects

Pimples.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a stack and a standalone product I'd recommend to anyone on the market and one that I DEFINITELY plan to run again myself. It was the most effective NTB stack I've used to-date and can't imagine getting better results from anything legal. Big thanks to OL for their participation here and for letting me give it a shot. If you're reading this and on the fence about whether to buy... don't be. Pull the trigger and go!

Overall
Thanks to Olympus Labs for sending it out!
  June 26, 2018

• Great Pump
  • Increased Vascularity
  • Leaning Effect

Massacr3 can be used as a standalone supplement with good results, but the best use will come when combined with a test booster. My experience with this came combined with Test1fy.

Big thanks to Olympus Labs for this one to start. It's been a long time since I've run a product that I was as excited to try and as smitten with from beginning to end.

I researched the main ingredients of Massacr3 prior to claiming it, and much of the research points to the product being best used when combined with a prohormone or natural test booster. Since Olympus Labs offered this up alongside their NTB Test1fy I opted to take the two in tandem, and given the chance I'd do it again, and again.

While running this for a 30 day cycle I focused on strength and hypertrophy with little to no cardio involved except for short rest periods between sets to keep my heart rate elevated. I was in the gym 4-5 times each week, typically doing a rotation of Legs, Chest/Push, Back/Pull, and Arms/Shoulders. If I hit the fifth day it would usually consist of a full body workout. Each workout began with a compound lift like squats, deads, snatches, or cleans, regardless of what the rest of the day had scheduled.

The hero of this epic product is Laxogenin-- a long time acquaintance of the supplement industry that's always been known for its lack of bioavailability. Olympus Labs claims to have increased this bioavailability in PhytoFuse(TM) Laxogenin by as much as 600%. Laxogenin is a plant-based steroid that essentially provides your body with the roadmap for building muscle and increasing testosterone. This is why it's such a great pair for a natural test booster. It also is able to increase protein synthesis by as much as 200%, while also limiting protein breakdown and reducing cortisol levels. Lastly, it causes your body to retain more nitrogen which in turn increases blood flow, thus improving recovery times and further increasing the flow of free testosterone throughout the body.

Accompanying ingredients include:
    - Vaso-6 (TM) which claims to increase vasodilation by 50% at a 300mg dose, the same dose as found in Massacr3.
    and
    - UroBolin (TM) which increases muscle mass while preventing muscle breakdown that occurs during strength training. Think: have your cake and eat it too.

No taste, no mixing. 2 pills every morning on an empty stomach.

While I took Massacr3 as part of a stack, through my research and other recent reviews posted here I think I've been able to separate the effects of both products involved. That said, the effects of both products were likely heightened by one another and I strongly recommend other Massacr3 users consider stacking it with a good NTB.

About 2-2.5 weeks into taking this I was getting a lot of compliments about looking lean but jacked, or in the circles that know me better, asking if I was taking "something". So, let's start with the aesthetics. With Laxogenin and Vaso-6 both upping my nitrogen retention my veins were going crazy. All throughout my forearms, biceps, shoulders, chest, lower abs, and legs, veins were popping up. I had to tighten my belt a notch and noticed my waist looking leaner than it has in quite a while, yet my chest and shoulders were looking fuller. My back got bigger, my intercostal muscles became more pronounced, and overall my muscles just looked more segmented and defined. All this was despite being feverishly hungry and eating like a Roman. I should not have leaned out. I was literally eating a giant buffalo chicken sub at least twice a week, burgers, burritos, just total binge food almost every day at lunch. Not doing that now that I'm off of this is going to totally suck.

As for the applied effects, my strength went through the roof. I recently started working on more compound lifts within the last 3-months and I found myself stuck on cleans at a very mortal 185, and snatches I'd basically given up on because I couldn't seem to hit the motion to bring me over about 95lbs. Deadlifts I lived at around 315, maybe 335, but rarely any higher. These are the lifts I saw the biggest improvement. My cleans went to 225 within 2-weeks. Then to 245, then to 265 when I ran out. Snatches seemed to connect in my head and I was able to get up to 155. Deadlifts became laughable at 315 and I was beginning to hit reps at 405 with ease and maintaining good form. I'm pretty tall, so that's a ton of weight for me. I also started incorporating some other new workouts and accelerated rapidly with them. Pendlay Rows for instance I was able to rep at 185 for at least 10 while supersetting without any real experience with them prior.

My recovery dropped as well. On the hardest of days I'd be sore for maybe 24 hours, but by the second day I felt ready to attack those same muscles again... or massacre them I should say. That's got to be a combo of the laxogenin and the ridiculous amount of calories I was eating.

I also simply felt great and confident despite a maelstrom of serious issues I needed to deal with at work. This indicated to me that I had a major drop in cortisol-- another staple effect of Laxogenin.

So to recap quick: I saw an increase in my appetite, muscle mass, vascularity, and strength; and a decrease in my stress levels, waist size, body fat, and time needed to recover.

Buy this direct from OL and you'll pay about $70, but anywhere else and $49.99 seems to be the going rate. At Suppz.com through priceplow and using a 5% off coupon, you can buy this for as low as $42.70. This is on the high side, but literally every ingredient is a clinically dosed, trademarked ingredient. The price is justified.... just1f13d?

Side Effects

Conclusion

I sincerely wish this bottle was a bottomless pit of pills. I've never been so disappointed to finish my run of something. If you need to bust through a plateau or just want to take your game to new heights, you've got to give this a try. I honestly can't recommend it highly enough. It's a formula for lean gains and strength, and improved recovery. You really shouldn't be able to reap all the benefits this provides from a single product. Stack it with a test booster or expect slightly diminished results though.

Thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for sending it out!
      June 26, 2018

• Good Pumps
    • Delicious Taste
    • Good Vascularity
    • Focus Could Be Better

Pathogen provided reliable clean energy to carry me through an entire workout without letting me down. It was one of the better tasting PWOs I've had in a while as well.

Quick thanks to Outbreak for letting me review another one of their products. I think this one was probably the best I've tried from this company so far.

I usually lift early in the morning, often without enough sleep, and rely heavily on a good PWO to wake me up and get me going. I chose to give Pathogen a shot because of the solid dosages of caffeine and other stimulants balanced with TeaCrine, and because of the novel pump ingredients that actually had me both nervous and excited. Throughout my run of Pathogen my training was strictly strength-based with little to no formal cardio sessions, except for short rest periods between sets and exercises to keep my heart rate elevated.

Outbreak opted for a fully disclosed label.

Citrulline Malate 2:1 (6g) - This is a very respectable dose of the old standby pump ingredient. Few people won't respond to this much CM and in Pathogen, it only sets the foundation.

Beta Alanine (3.2g) - Another common staple, clinically dosed.

Choline Bitartrate (500mg) - I actually thought this one was out of place. While it's touted for its ability to improve cognition and increase anaerobic exercise capacity, the studies I was able to find showed little effect even at this dose which is on the high side for daily supplementation.

Potassium Nitrate (350mg) - This is the ingredient that scared me. It's a common preservative found in things like cured meats, but has recently begun to be used as a supplement for improving blood flow. That said, according to what I read it's also very dangerous to work with. Food service workers need to use masks and cover their skin because inhaling it can cause nausea; it can irritate your skin and eyes and overall just sounds like a very nasty substance. I'm not sure how it's being used safely in a powder based supplement, but I experienced none of the side effects I was concerned I might.

Caffeine Anhydrous (350mg) - I look for 300-400mg in the morning to get me up and running. I would not recommend this much if you lift at night and are sensitive to caffeine or stimulants in general.

TeaCrine (125mg) - Outbreak sprung for the good stuff here with TeaCrine theacrine. This did a great job at preventing jitters from the caffeine and other stimulants, and also prevented any crashing later on.

Theobromine (100mg) - One of my favorite supplements to take and to say, this is a stimulant that can also improve cognition and airflow, along with a host of other benefits not necessarily workout related. The dose here is low however, and it would be great to see it increased to 500mg.

Juglans Regia (100mg) - This is a natural source of DMHA and rounds out the stimulants in Pathogen. According to massivejones.com, natural sources of DMHA are more effective than synthetics DMHA. 100mg is considered a high dose from this natural source, also according to that site.

Overall this is a fairly straight forward ingredient panel aimed at providing steady energy and a solid pump. The only thing I'd like to see adjusted here is the Choline Bitartrate. To me it seems out of place among the other ingredients and I'd encourage Outbreak to consider removing it to increase the dose of Theobromine, or replacing it with something like Alpha GPC.

I received War-Torn Melon (watermelon) and was impressed. Towards the end of the bottle I did start to become pretty sick of it, but I suppose that's to be expected. It was one of the better tasting PWOs I've taken overall, and I'm not usually a huge fan of watermelon flavor in general.

I usually mixed this without about 4-6oz of water, which is a little less than recommended, but didn't find the flavor too strong and prefer to just get it down quickly anyway. Normally I'd drink this on my way out the front door, and about 15 minutes prior to beginning my warmup. I found that to be plenty of time for the ingredients to kick in and to begin feeling the beta tingles take effect.

I was very impressed with how clean the energy was with Pathogen. I've been arriving at the gym by 4:30am lately to accommodate my wife's schedule at the hospital, and while the first couple of days were a struggle, Pathogen definitely helped. It kicked in quickly and didn't make me feel jittery at all despite the solid doses of caffeine and DMHA. The energy lasted well through my workout and on only a few occasions did I experience any sort of fall off that I'd consider to be a crash, and when I did it was usually around 9:30-- about 5-5.5 hours after taking it.

As for the pumps, those were quite good as well and long lasting. I wouldn't say that the Potassium Nitrate did much to aid in this-- it may have helped in the longevity of the pump if anything. I usually get a great pump from CM alone and would probably prefer it to be accompanied by Arginine instead because of the health concerns. Or if Outbreak wants to use a more novel ingredient, I'd like to see it accompanied by OxyStorm (red spinach leaf extract), which I've only tried in one product and was thoroughly impressed by. Overall though, I'd still consider the pumps to be above average but I think mostly due to the CM.

One thing I didn't notice was a ton of focus involved with the effects. I didn't necessarily expect it considering the ingredient panel, but feel it is worth mentioning because of the number of people who do look for that effect in their PWO and who may expect it because of the Theobromine and Choline Bitartrate.

The best price I found for this was $31.46 on Suppz.com using a priceplow 10% off coupon. That's a great price point for this and definitely upped my value rating for this product. Being able to buy this normally around $35 would be reasonable as well without the coupon.

Side Effects

None. This includes bathroom breaks from the pump ingredients. I was really surprised to see this not become a factor at 6g of CM plus the Potassium Nitrate.

Conclusion

Overall I liked this product. I'd rank it in my top 5 PWOs overall I'd say, and easily recommend it to people looking for something to get them moving. It would be great to see a bit more focus involved, but that's not really the intent of this. It's unfortunate you probably can't pair it with Outbreak's Transmit because the caffeine content between the two would push you well over 700mg of caffeine in a single serving. In any case, I'd say give it a shot next time you're in the market for a PWO. It's affordable and works great!

Overall
    Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
      June 21, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Deeper Sleep
    • Excellent Profile
    • Fall Asleep Faster
    • Fully Transparent
    • Great Value
    • No Grogginess
    • Better Recovery

Fade out was effective at even half a scoop. It worked quickly and it rarely left any sort of hangover.

Big thanks to start to Redcon1. I'm someone who often has trouble sleeping and is always hesitant to take sleep supplements because I rarely hit 8 hours a night and worry about sleeping to deeply to wake up if something goes bang in the night. But after my wife started giving me crap for "never" sleeping, Redcon1 released this to the troops and I had the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone: appease the old lady and try another product from one of my favorite companies.

A quick note on Redcon1's customer service first. When this arrived, the package had been crushed in the mail and then left in the rain for a couple days due to arriving while I was on vacation. I sent a note to the rep and a replacement arrived in like 3 days or so. To add a little context, about a month earlier I'd ordered some protein from MyProtein and the bag was somehow sliced open in the mail. It took MP about 21 days to replace that. To fanboy on them even more, they have hands down the best communication in the industry. You get emails at every step of the shipping progress, plus they care enough to follow up and ask for your feedback. I've also gotten texts from their local rep to notify me about deals happening. Altogether they just seem to have their S together better than most, if not any, other companies in the business.

4-amino-3-phenylbutonic acid (1g) - [AKA Phenibut] This is a key ingredient to Fade Out and also one to be very careful with. It can become dangerous when combined with benzos, barbituates, alcohol, or other depressants. Phenibut works by stimulating GABA receptors and enhances the effects of GABA itself.

Mucuna Pruriens (1g) - [AKA Velvet Bean] This ingredient contains high levels of L-Dopa, the precursor to dopamine. At higher doses it can actually aid in testosterone production and have an energizing effect, but my guess here at this dose is that it is meant for its ability to lower cortisol (stress hormone) levels.

GABA (1g) - GABA and Phenibut go hand and hand. Your body already contains GABA receptors that essentially make you sleep when activated, and phenibut serves as an agonist for GABA by binding to GABA receptors and acting as a catalyst of sorts for the depressant effects of the GABA itself.

Arginine-HCL (1g) - Arginine can help stimulate sleep by shutting off ammonia production in the body.

Phenylalanine (750mg) - Phenylalanine is converted to L-Tyrosine which is then converted to L-Dopa, again the precursor to Dopamine.

Valerian Root (600mg) - Another sedative and anti-anxiety ingredient

Ornithine HCL (500mg) - Like Arginine, this also helps in the reduction of ammonia being produced in the body. Ammonia is one of the biggest sleep disrupters.

Theanine (500mg) - Often seen in preworkouts, this is another ingredient that can also be used for its relaxing effects which is why it's often found in tandem with high amounts of caffeine.

Magnesium (150mg) - Without magnesium in your body you'd seize up into one big cramp. This will help your muscles relax and ultimately reduce muscle soreness and aid in providing deeper sleep.

Vitamin C (100mg) - This may not be an ingredient you think of when it comes to sleeping, but the big concern is really the lack of it rather than the benefit it has. People with low vitamin-c levels can have trouble falling into a deep relaxing sleep and supplementing the diet can change that, as well as reducing other symptoms of wakefulness like restless leg syndrome.

Zinc (10mg) - Studies have shown zinc to be an effective sleep regulator. It has been shown to increase the amount and the quality of sleep in both animals and humans.

Vitamin B-6 (6mg) - This can help regulate the body's levels of tryptophan, which can in turn lead to your body producing sleep-inducing melatonin

Melatonin (5mg) - This is probably the most commonly known natural sleep aid, and 5mg is a pretty big dose. I was worried about not waking up easily with this much melatonin.

Vitamin E Acetate (10iu) - Vitamin E might also help relieve restless leg syndrome.

Overall this is an incredibly well-rounded ingredient panel. Everything is very obvious in its intent and Redcon1 seemed to take the care to produce Fade Out in a way that would attack symptoms that would lead to restless sleep from multiple angles using ingredients that would hit your mind at different times and in different ways throughout the night.

Dosing: I really didn't need to take a full scoop of this for it to work. I'd usually take slightly less if I was about to get less sleep, and a full scoop if I knew I'd be able to get 8 hours.

Mixability: This had some settling occur each time, so expect to drink it while particles are suspended in the liquid.

Taste: Think... metamucil. I received the orange flavor and while it was by no means objectionable, it wasn't something I'd ever crave either. It covered up the taste of a bunch of ingredients that I assume must be yucky tasting, and I never had to plug my nose to get it down. It was just "fine".

I would have given this product a 10 if I had more experience with sleep products in general. I just can't imagine something working better than this. I didn't always use a full scoop and the only thing that seemed to impact would be how deeply I slept. Within 5 minutes of taking this I'd always feel sort of woozy, calm, and a bit lightheaded-- but not at all in an unpleasant way. I'd be completely relaxed and overall felt great. I wouldn't fall asleep the second my head hit the pillow, but I also didn't spend hours tossing and turning, or waking up throughout the night like I usually do.

One of the biggest perks for me was the fact that I could still wake up if I had to. A few nights I was woken up by my son, another night my wife woke me up because she thought she heard something, and each time I was able to wake up and inspect then go right back to sleep without issue. I could remember what I'd done in the middle of the night upon waking, and I didn't have any memory or time loss.

In the morning I almost never had any cobwebs. I often took this when I knew I'd only be getting 4-6 hours of sleep and still it was always better to wake up having taken it than having not taken it. Mind you, I was careful about not taking a full scoop if it was going to be less than 8 hours.

The cheapest I was able to find this was $25.99 at Muscle & Strength. For less than $1/serving this product is a steal. On the high end it's listed at $49.99. I would have a hard time justifying paying that price, personally.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you want to fall asleep fast and stay asleep until you're ready to wake up, or wake up abruptly on command, then I'd say this is for you. If that doesn't apply to you, I think you're an alien or something and I don't know what to tell you. This is something I think anyone in need of a better night's rest should give a shot. Simple as that.

Thank you again to Redcon1 as always!

Overall
      Thanks to TBN Labs for sending it out!
        June 20, 2018

• Poor Ingredient Profile
      • Indigestion

I was really excited to try this because the panel looked nice and clean, I am a big fan of meal replacements in general, and everyone who'd reviewed it so far said it tasted great. It definitely did taste good, but every time I tried it I got terrible stomach cramps and ultimately had to call it quits on this one.

I want to thank TBN Labs for sending this out. Anyone who's been on this site for a while knows I'm usually the biggest baby in the mix when it comes to digestion issues with proteins/mass gainers/meal replacements. I think this is the third time I've been the only one experiencing issues. Maybe it's just me, but regardless, I drink proteins and meal replacements/mass gainers all the time that *don't* cause me issues, and there must be some jello-bellied consumer out there just as concerned about putting their tummy into knots as I am. So, I must do my duty (indigestion pun) and tell everyone about my woes.

I typically use mass gainers/meal replacements as post-workout shakes or late afternoon snacks. I'm an early morning lifter, lately early enough to be waiting for the doors to be unlocked. I'm also constantly on the go at work and as a dad, so shakes are a serious necessity to avoid anything wrapped in paper and handed to me through a window.

I had some issues with the ingredient profile of Total Mass before I even ordered it, but the positive reviews sold me.

What we know is that one laundry-detergent sized scoop yields 480k/cal and 0g fat, and 25g of protein, then in parenthesis (as Caseinate and Gelatine). But then we have a 12g Total Mass Blend with no casein or gelatin listed-- just whey concentrate and isolate. Is this additional protein? Are there more than 25g? Who knows. We have no indication on the amount of carbs in here either. The Total Mass blend lists whey concentrate and isolate as the first two ingredients with no indication of the filtration method, then glutamine peptide (I don't want to accuse anyone of protein spiking, but wasn't this one of the most common amino acids used when companies were doing that? Concerning...), then Waxi Maize, sweet potato powder, wild yam extract, brown rice powder, maltodextrin, and multi grains powder.

So, Waxi Maize is the chief carb here, at least we know that. That's a good, slow digesting, low insulin spiking carb source.

Overall though, the lack of transparency is killing me. How can you not list the carbs? And, I still think the proteins seem misleading.

Just not a huge fan of the ingredient panel in general.

Dosing: I tried this in the morning before work and after my lift, before bed, and in the afternoon between meals. No matter when I tried it I got the same bad reaction. I had knots in my stomach every time within 5 minutes of drinking it. It didn't matter if I sipped it or chugged it, they'd hit me at the same speed but with varying intensity.

Mixability: I'd say slightly below average here. It was fine in a blender, but when shaken I could never get it all dissolved. There were big chunks of cookie or chocolate in there, but there was always little flour-like chunks as well that threw off the texture.

Taste: The taste was on point. It tasted quite good and didn't have any stevia bitter aftertaste.

Unfortunately, I really can't make a determination on this one. I barely made it through half the tub and had to take days-long breaks between servings to bring myself to drink it again. I was always met with disappointment when I finally did... and discomfort.

I'd usually gauge a meal replacement/mass gainer like this on satiety, taste, macros, and finally, whether I noticed a gain in size or change in composition. I can't judge the macros at all because they don't even tell you how many carbs are in it and I'm not sure the protein is even accurate, the satiety was thrown off by the fact that I felt sick for hours after taking it, and there's no way I can judge the change in composition or size because I couldn't take it consistently or even finish. The taste was good. I'll give them that. +1.

I believe this is only for sale on TBN's website right now at $44.75 for 19 servings. That works out to $2.36/serving which is right about average, maybe slightly below other competitors in the category.

Side Effects

If I haven't belabored it enough, stomach cramps and indigestion every time I tried it.

Conclusion

I simply can't recommend this product. If you're on the fence about whether to buy this, you can certainly pay closer attention to the other reviewers who tried this and had great things to say but I'm not one of them. I think there are better, including tastier, options available for you to try that you'll be much happier with.

Thank you again to TBN, sorry this one didn't work out for me.

Thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for sending it out!
        June 20, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Better Alertness
      • Better Focus
      • Better Mood
      • Some Ingredients Underdosed

Transmit worked well to keep me sharp throughout the day by improving focus and energy levels, and ultimately increased my daily production.

I want start by thanking Outbreak for their ongoing participation.

While I haven't taken many standalone nootropics, most of the ingredients in Transmit were things I was accustomed to from their use in PWOs. I was interested to see how they would work outside of the gym, and whether they could even lessen my dependence on the adderall prescription I've been taking for over 10 years.

I normally work out ea...

I want start by thanking Outbreak for their ongoing participation.

I normally work out early in the morning, lately it's been 4:30 due to a new clinical rotation my wife has been put on, and I usually need a boost by 10am or so to keep me rolling throughout the day.

As mentioned in the intro, most if not all of these ingredients can also be found in some of the more robust/dynamic PWOs on the market currently.

Bacopa Monnieri (300mg) - This is the standard dose assuming bacosides are 55%. The Bacopa Monnieri is standardized to 50%, so it's a little less than the standard dose when considering that bit. The herb has demonstrated notable ability to improve memory according to Examine.com, and can also reduce anxiety.

AlphaSize (Alpha GPC) (200mg) - This is one of my favorite ingredients to see, as it can not only boost mood and cognition, but can also increase power output significantly. However in the study that showed a 14% increase in power output they used a dose of 600mg, and the studies that showed an improvement in cognition used doses upwards of 1,200mg. However, Outbreak is using a very high-end type of A-GPC by opting to go with AlphaSize, which may reduce the amount needed to notice the benefits.

Phosphatidylserine (200mg) - studied in a surprisingly wide range of areas including golf performance, forgetting, anaerobic running capacity, childhood ADHD, and a variety of other areas generally related to cognition, I was surprised to have never heard of it. It may provide benefits at doses as low as 100mg daily, but 3 servings of 100mg daily (300mg total), seems to be the recommended amount and higher doses seem safe.

Caffeine (200mg) - Kind of the sweet spot for nootropics I'd say. I personally never get a big kick from caffeine in pill form though.

TheaKalm (L-Theanine) (200mg) - Great when used alongside caffeine, it will help relax users without causing drowsiness. This is a high dose using a high quality source.

Dynamine (Methyliberine) (125mg) - Used to heighten mood and focus by activating dopamine receptors and inhibiting adenosine receptors without elevating heart rate. This is a solid dose.

Cognizin (Citicoline) (125mg) - Meant to improve attention and memory, but with additional benefits like reduction in blood pressure. The standard dose is 500-2000mg daily so this is much lower than what has been studied to show the positive results.

Huperzine A (Huperzia Serrata) (10mg) - If the label is accurate, this is a whopping dose for something that's usually measured by mcg's. 200mcg is a high end dose according to examine.com, which would be the equivalent of .2mg. There hasn't been a ton of research published yet, but generally speaking it appears to enhance cognition, memory, and focus.

No taste/No mixing.

Standard dose is 3 pills daily. I usually took mine around 10am after getting to the office and settling in. Sometimes it would be a bit earlier, but not really ever any later. Interestingly, the label on the bottle instructs you to take this with food. Some of the ingredients are in fact fat soluble, so that would make sense, but others are not and are better served to be taken on an empty stomach. I usually only drink a meal replacement shake in the morning and usually around 7:30; so by 9:30/10, I usually have a relatively empty stomach but am not feeling hungry. Moral of the story being that I kind of split the difference. Didn't take it with food, but not on an empty stomach either.

Despite many of these ingredients being underdosed based on my research, I found that Transmit worked very well. My wife actually stole a few pills as well and she is also prescribed adderall (our lives are chaos). She felt like she didn't need to take her prescription at all if she'd take 2 of these pills. I personally felt like I could survive without adderall while taking them, but would prefer not to. Using my normal script as a baseline and taking them in tandem I found them to be really effective. I wouldn't say this skewed the results or anything either since I have refused to increase my scripted dose in over 8 years. I didn't notice much of an energy boost from the caffeine, but I can't think of any time that caffeine in pill form has really woken me up at all anyway. I was definitely able to dial into my work more effectively than I've been able to since I ran out, and my word recall when speaking to clients/borrowers/coworkers/bosses was definitely heightened while taking this as well. Overall I really liked it.

The best price I found for this was at DPSNutrition.com using a priceplow coupon to bring the total to $32.49. At 30 servings you're at a little over $1/day which is pretty affordable. If I were working on a difficult project or studying for finals or something, this would be worth it all day long.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

I say if you need a boost at work or in school, give this a shot. I'm thinking it would be great for people that spend a lot of time on the phone and want to stay calm and composed but also sharp and on-point. It would be great for students and also for people that have to work shift jobs with very little opportunity for breaks. I think it could also be applied as a preworkout if you are taking something along with it that isn't too stim heavy. I'd encourage anyone interested in it to try it and experiment with the best application.

6.8
      Thanks to Dymatize Nutrition for sending it out!
        June 14, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Filling
      • Helps Recovery Over Night
      • Great Mixability

Casein protein can be pretty nasty with lots of clumping and grittiness. Dymatize delivered here with a casein option that mixes up easily and satisfies for a long time.

I'd like to thank Dymatize Nutrition for making this review possible. I had my doubts they'd come through... the order had auto-cancelled and it was a big let down, but the same day it cancelled I came home to a neat little package on my doorstep. Lo and behold-- my casein had arrived!

Most often I hear people discussing their use of casein as a bedtime thing. While I do follow that practice sometimes, I've recently started adding a scoop of casein to my morning shake instead along with regular whey, right after I lift. I'm not sure there's one practice that's better than the other.

While using Elite Casein, I was also running a laxogenin product. One of the things about laxogenin is it is supposed to greatly increase your protein synthesis, so it was great to have these things in tandem. I was using Elite Casein twice daily at morning and at night to try to mazimize the benefits of the laxogenin. While the results I saw over the past month would really have to be attributed to the laxogenin mostly, Dymatize's casein made it much easier, as I'll explain...

Elite Casein has a large, 36g scoop which yields 130 k/cal, including 20 from fat.

Each scoop gives you 25g of protein, 2g of unsaturated fat, and 2g of carbs. With 7g remaining I assume that is filler for taste and consistency.

Dymatize used sucralose as a sweetener.

Taste: I received Rich Chocolate flavor and found it to be really tasty. There was a bit of grittiness when consumed on its own, but I've yet to meet a casein that isn't gritty to some degree. This was definitely one of the less gritty ones I've ever tried.

Mixability: Surprisingly, I had the easiest time when just mixing this in a shaker. It blended easily in both milk and water without any clumping. I ran into minor issues when using a blender. When using a blender I usually add liquid last so that the ice, powder, and fruit are towards the blades. If I add liquid first my blender isn't powerful enough to reliably pull everything down. Adding the liquid last did cause it to stick to the sides somewhat, but it wasn't a major problem. I'd just scrape it off and blend it the rest of the way.

Dosing: As mentioned in the intro, most days I was using this twice per day. Once after my lift along with a scoop of whey, a banana, some PB, and skim milk; and once before bed on its own.

I judge proteins mainly by flavor, digestibility (which I'm basically a giant wuss about), and satiety (which is a little subjective, I know).

Dymatize's Elite Casein did well in every category. I found the flavor to be nice and creamy, like milk chocolate... which may have been compounded by the fact that I usually mixed this with, well, milk. I was able to combine it with other flavors like vanilla protein, maple protein (on the fence about that flavor), peanut butter, and banana, and it never overwhelmed anything but instead always seemed to complement it nicely. There was a bit of grittiness and it required about 25-50% more liquid to reach my desired viscosity, but altogether I really enjoyed it and looked forward to it.

Digestibility was great too. I never got stomach cramps or anything which I'm very prone to. I never experienced any gassiness or bloating either. Really happy here for a guy that has been the only one on this site with protein digestion issues more than once.

Satiety I want to say was also good, but the test booster and laxogenin supplement I was taking alongside this made me ferociously hungry. I usually have my morning shake at 7:30 and this would help me feel satisfied until 10 or 10:30. At night I never woke up hungry, but I did wake up starving. I honestly think if I wasn't taking the test boosters I would feel full much longer though.

Final notes are that I have leaned out a lot over the last month, which might have a lot to do with the fact that this was so tasty and satisfying. It's always nice to crave something like this instead of greasy foods or sweets. I'm sure it is no easy feat to make a protein taste good enough to replace ice cream or something.

The cheapest I found this was at BestPriceNutrition.com for $25.19 using a 10% off coupon from price plow. That works out to just over $1/serving. (25 servings) I think that's a very competitive price for any casein.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

Overall I'm very impressed. This is likely something I'll keep an eye on and purchase when it's around the price its listed for in the values section. I don't think it will necessarily replace the brand I normally use, but that's only because I use multiple servings daily and need to be frugal in my purchasing decisions. If you are looking for a quality casein and this is in your budget, I think it's worthwhile to spring for this one.

Thanks again to Dymatize!