Zachdylan

Reviews by Zachdylan

January 21, 2016

• Easy To Mix
  • Good Combo Of Proteins

I'm a senior in college studying to be an RN. I've been training on and off since high school, but have really started to take lifting seriously in the past 2-3 years. Currently, I'm focusing on getting stronger. I follow the conjugate method of training focusing on the main 3 compound movements. Right now I'm in a caloric surplus - consuming around 2,600-2,800 calories per day. My goals as of now are to get stronger and gain some lean muscle without packing on **too** much fat. I first ordered PES Select Protein during a Black Friday sale and have since gone through two more tubs.

The ingredient profile of PES Select Whey is one of two reasons this protein is different than other proteins (in my opinion). The protein in Select Whey is a blend of milk protein isolate [casein/whey] and whey protein concentrate. They also include added Leucine peptides. The rest of the ingredients consist of natural and artificial flavors, guar gum [thickening agent], sucralose [sweetener], and acesulfame potassium [sweetener]. PES states that their blend of Milk Protein Isolate is the superior choice over 100% whey protein. One of the benefits of including a whey + casein is that the two different types of protein work better together to build muscle. At the end of the day, the ingredient profile is very solid. The macronutrient profile is: Per 1 Scoop (33g) 110 calories, 1.5 g fat, 1 g carbohydrate, and 24 g protein. For the taste, you can't beat those macros!

9.5/10
    Here is where this protein truly shines. The taste. This is probably the best tasting protein I have ever had. I've tried two of their flavors. I've had one tub of the limited edition White Chocolate Mint and two tubs of Snickerdoodle. Both are incredible. They are sweet without being overly sweet. Their taste is very authentic to what the flavor is trying to emulate. The White Chocolate Mint tasted identical to a White Chocolate Mint Mocha from Starbucks. The Snickerdoodle tastes very close to a snickerdoodle cookie. This protein mixes very well. About 7-10 seconds in a blender bottle and it's completely dissolved. I like that it isn't overly watery- even if you add around 12 oz. of water per one scoop of protein. Since there is casein in the protein, it gives it a bit of a thicker, smoother texture than traditional 100% whey protein. Dosing is fairly straight forward. One scoop (33g) per serving offers 24 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat, and 1 gram of carbohydrate [as stated above].

8.5/10
    As with any whey protein, it is difficult to judge the "effectiveness" of the product, particularly in terms of building muscle. I will say that when I take whey protein immediately following a workout, it does aid in my recovery. Granted I am in a caloric surplus and am following a strength-based program, I have main significant progress in my lifts while taking this product.

PES Select Protein will run you $42.75 for a 27-serving tub or $70.99 for a 55-serving tub if you order direct from PEScience. However, you can find a 27-serving tub on BB.com for $29.99 ($1.11/serving) and a 55-serving tub for $49.99 ($0.91/serving). Given the quality of this protein, I think it's a pretty fair price. Is it the cheapest protein on the market? No. But you're getting what you pay for: a high-quality protein that tastes incredible.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

As stated above, this is probably the best protein I've ever taken. From the quality ingredients, to the taste, to the easy mixability - PES really hit a home run with this one. It might be a little expensive for some; however, in my opinion, it's worth paying a few extra dollars for something I look forward to drinking!

January 11, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Price
    • Effective
    • No Taste
    • Increased Strength
    • Bloated Look/feel

I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently trying to put on some weight. I've posted a couple of reviews to supplementreviews.com so far. I've been taking this product from Optimum Nutrition ever since I first started training and it's the creatine supplement I keep coming back to.

99.9% pure creatine monohydrate. Plain and simple. In addition, the creatine is both CreaPure sourced and micronized. CreaPure is one of the most trusted, purest, and studied forms of creatine monohydrate. It's also micronized, which helps it dissolve in water more effectively than other forms of monohydrate.

There's little to no taste, being as it's unflavored; however, if you mix it in plain water you can definitely tell something is there. I usually just add it into my post-workout scoop of protein and you can't tell it's there. In plain water, it mixes pretty well (since it's micronized). It doesn't dissolve 100% - however, by nature creatine is very difficult to dissolve completely. Each serving is 5g, which is the evidence-based dose of creatine. The label suggests loading doses when you first start taking it, but I've never loaded and feel as if it's unnecessary.

Some people think they will notice enormous strength gains when first taking creatine; however, this is not the case. One needs to consume creatine over a period of time to see maximum benefit of this product. After a few weeks, I noticed my muscles were fuller and I could grind out the last few reps of heavier sets a lot easier than before.

I usually get my Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine from Amazon.com. You can get 600g for $13.00. That's 120 servings at about $0.10/serving. For a product that is scientifically proven to improve performance in the gym, you can't beat that price (especially for creatine of this quality).

Side Effects

I'm one that typically reacts to creatine monohydrate. When I first start taking it, I am one that typically sees some water retention and bloating. Some people don't respond this way at all - I believe it's dependent on the individual's own body. I will say that I have tried other cheaper forms of creatine monohydrate and have reacted worse. I tend to have less water retention and bloating with Optimum's creatine because it's CreaPure sourced and micronized.

Conclusion

8.5/10
    Overall, this is an exceptional product. It's cheap, effective, and most-likely the only creatine supplement you will ever need. You *may* experience some water retention and bloating; however, a lot of people don't experience this so you will just have to try it to see for yourself.

January 9, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • High Quality Ingredients
    • Excellent Taste/mixability

I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently in a caloric surplus in an effort to put on some muscle and increase my three big lifts. I've gone through about 2 or 3 tubs of Tier 1, all purchased directly from Citadel Nutrition. I don't take many supplements other than a protein powder, multivitamin, and preworkout. I have a lot of respect for supplementreviews.com and would like to offer my opinion on this great supplement.

9.5/10
      This is what sold me Tier 1. The label discloses all ingredients and their respective dosages. The amount of ingredients included in Tier 1 are evidence-based, clinically-dosed amounts of each ingredient. This means per scoop, you are getting the maximum benefit of each ingredients. Other preworkout supplements I have taken may only include half the clinical dose or lower. In order to reap the maximum benefit, one would need to take multiple scoops (of other preworkouts). Tier 1 includes 5g of Creatine Monohydrate (Creapure), 3.2g of Beta-Alanine (Carnosyn), 3g of L-Tyrosine (USP sourced), and 200mg of Caffeine (USP sourced). These are basic ingredients that are scientifically researched to promote performance in the gym.

Tier 1 offers a very light, lemon taste. It tastes like a slightly-watered down version of lemonade Crystal Lite. For me, this is fine. I'm not huge into chemically-tasting crazy flavors. In the end, it's the effectiveness of the product I'm most concerned about. The dosing is pretty standard for a tub of preworkout. Each tub contains 30 servings. Each serving is 1 scoop. Lastly, Tier 1 mixes great. Just a few shakes and you're left with a perfectly mixed drink with no clumps.

Tier 1 simply works. 200mg of caffeine is more than enough to give me a kick, but not feel overly "stimmed" out. The L-Tyrosine provides a nice focus. While the Beta-Alanine and Creatine Monohydrate do not provide any immediate benefits, I like that they are included in Tier 1. It removes the requirement to take these supplements individually- and they are both proven to increase performance when taking them over a period of time in their effective doses. My workouts feel noticeably different when taking Tier 1 compared with other preworkouts. I feel clean, sustained energy that allows me to complete my workout without feeling sick to my stomach or "stimmed" out.

A tub of Tier 1 runs for $29.99 + shipping from Citadel Nutrition. This is about the standard price of a 30-serving tub of preworkout. I'm rating it 9/10 because unlike other preworkouts, you're actually getting the maximum benefit of each ingredient per scoop. With other preworkouts, you would need to consume 2-3 scoops to get the benefit- causing you to go through each tub faster and spend more money.

Side Effects

I've experienced no side effects with Tier 1. No caffeine crash. If this is your first time taking a supplement with a clinical dose of Beta-Alanine, you might feel some mild tingling; however, this goes away as your body builds up tolerance for it.

Conclusion

9.5/10
      Because of the clinically effective ingredient doses, clean energy, and good price- I rate this product 9.5/10. It's my go-to preworkout. Ever since I have tried Tier 1, I won't use another preworkout supplement. On a side note, I would also like to add that I really appreciate Citadel Nutrition's business ethics. I enjoy that they freely disclose the amount of each ingredient in their preworkout and don't try to sell you something that has ridiculous claims. They pride themselves on selling a product that they believe in and is effective.

January 9, 2016

• Great Recovery
      • Tastes Awesome
      • Smooth Texture
      • Slightly Expensive

This is my first formal supplement review - and first for supplementreviews.com. I read many reviews on many different websites; however, I keep coming back to supplementreviews.com because I feel as if the reviews provide an authentic, unbiased opinion of supplements. I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently trying to put on some weight. I've tried many different protein powders, but received a sample of Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey from the Olympia expo this past year. I really liked it, and picked up a tub last month from Vitamin Shoppe because I had a $10 off coupon. Because the product is quite expensive, I figured it would be worth it to pick up a tub as long as I had the coupon.

What most people will notice right away is the high protein content per scoop. Each 39g scoop offers 30 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein derived from whey protein isolate. 2 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fat round out the macronutrient profile. This is my first time consuming protein that is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed protein is rapidly absorbed by the body. I also like the fact that Optimum includes an enzyme blend with this protein.

I bought the "Velocity Vanilla" flavor and am pleased with the flavor. It isn't the best vanilla flavored protein I've ever tried, but for the macronutrient profile, it's more than sufficient for my needs. In my opinion, it tastes a lot better than their vanilla Gold Standard Whey. I took one scoop post-workout for the duration of the tub. It mixed very well using a shaker bottle and plain water - no clumps. I occasionally blended it together with milk and strawberries in a Ninja blender as a treat. It tasted absolutely out-of-this world!

It's hard to judge the effectiveness of whey protein. I will rate this product an 8/10 because I have noticed reduced recovery time and decreased soreness between workouts.

Here's the kicker - this product is expensive. My local Vitamin Shoppe sells the 1.75 lb tub for $34.95. With each tub containing 20 servings, you're looking at almost $1.75 per scoop. I'm fortunate that I had a coupon, so it wasn't much more expensive than a traditional tub of whey protein; however, if you're buying this product full price - expect to pay generously for it.

Side Effects

It's hydrolyzed whey protein. I noticed no side effects. I will note that I didn't experience any GI issues while taking this protein. My stomach is pretty sensitive to whey, and some lower-quality protein really messes me up. I really liked the fact that I could consume 30 grams worth of whey with no discomfort!

Conclusion

8.5/10
      Overall, this is a great product. I will definitely be picking this up again if I can afford it. The taste, mixability, and macronutrient profile are what really sell this product for me. The only downfall I can think of is the high price. If you can afford it, this is an excellent product!