Xcmiler

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 8 years, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by Xcmiler

(SR paid for product; Cellucor did not participate)
  February 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Dosages
  • Convenient
  • Slight Crash And Headache
  • Prop Blend

I have used Cellucor on and off over the years but I haven't really used them in quite some time. I do like the approach they are taking now with clinically dosed supplements but not enough for me to consistently buy them like I used to. So, I was looking to try the new ultimate line so when I saw it come up on the Trooper Program I had to try it. Here is the review.

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go comes in an 11 ounce bottle with the entire bottle being a serving. Each serving includes an ample dosage of niacin (60mg), vitamin B6 (1mg), folic acid (500mcg), and vitamin B12 (70mcg). It is pretty standard for a preworkout to include b vitamins as they can aid with energy. The first major ingredient is 6g of citrulline malate, which is nitric oxide booster. This ingredient will help with pumps and this is a solid dose for an RTD product. Next up is 3.2g of carnosyn beta alanine, which can increase endurance and defend against fatigue. The dosage here is a clinical dosage and more than most powdered pre workouts. After you have 1.5g of betaine anhydrous, which can increase strength, endurance, and power. The only thing here is a clinical dosage is 2.5g, which this product falls 1g short. Then you have 1g of arginine alpha ketoglutarate, which is another ingredient to aid with pumps. Next, you have 1g of taurine , which can aid in endurance as well as hydration.

After these ingredients you have the famous C4 prop blend or the "C4 Ultimate Energy & Focus Blend" at 708mg. The first ingredient is N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT), which can can improve focus. After you have caffeine anhydrous at 300mg, which increases energy. Then you have alpha GPC, which can increase mood and focus. Next up is Zembrin, which is again there for focus but it can also reduce stress. Then you have rauwolfia vomitoria, which can aid with lowering body fat and increase mood. Lastly, you have huperzine a, which is can aid with focus.

I do want to note that there are slight formula differences between the RTD and powder form. In the RTD you are missing the following ingredients that are in the powdered version: creatine nitrate NO3-T at 1.5g, nitrosigine at 1.5g, velvet bean extract, and teacrine. I thought it was prudent to mention this as a casual look someone could assume they were exactly the same.

I had the blue snow cone flavor and it was just okay. The product has an odd chemical type smell similar to heavy artificial sweeteners. That smell is mixed with some blue raspberry snow cone type smell. The liquid is slightly thicker than water and is clear. When you first drink it there is a slight tart taste followed by blue raspberry taste and it ends tart. It is not bad but I would probably try out the other flavors. I will note that overall taste quality was similar to the regular C4 RTDs I have had. As far as dosing goes, I only used it as a pre workout on workout days or running.

I had a hard time writing the effectiveness section of this since I was unsure how I wanted to rate the effectiveness of C4 Ultimate On-The-Go. I had 11 servings and I used them over the past few weeks before the gym and before cardio. So, I decided to write my thoughts on the effectiveness of C4 Ultimate On-The-Go on my performance with cardio and weight training. I will start with weight training. I used this about 8 times before the gym and I always started to drink it about 20 minutes out. I would usually feel it kicking in when I got to the gym and after I had warmed up for 10 minutes it would fully kick. I noticed a definite surge of energy at the 30 minute mark after the first sip. I noticed that I would sweat more than usual and was able maintain a higher level of intensity that I do with just coffee and a protein shake. The energy would remain at a peak for about 30 minutes and then would slowly decline. So, for me it was about an hour after finishing the bottle. About 30 minutes after that (1 hour and 30 minutes after finishing the bottle) I would begin to level out to where I was before taking it. Then two hours after finishing the bottle I would begin to get tired. So, it lasted long enough for me to finish my workout but at times I did have a very slight crash. As far as pumps goes, I thought this was very effective especially on leg day. I noticed that my quads were noticeably larger and my calves were slightly more defined from the pump. I also noticed an increase in endurance on my higher rep exercises where I felt like I was able to get an extra rep or two. Overall, I am happy with the performance of this in the gym.

As for cardio, I definitely noticed an increase in endurance. I think a lot of that had to do with the beta alanine as it was quite strong in this product. I will note that a whole bottle was too much for cardio and I ended up only drinking half. I would save the other half for next time I would run and do cardio. I will note that for when I used this with running I would have more endurance but I would get winded easier. I think this raised my heart rate too quickly, which I did not like for running. If I were to use this product again I would either drop it to a quarter bottle for running or just stick with it as a gym pre workout.

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go retails for $44.99 for 12 bottles making is $3.75 per serving. I did find it slightly cheaper at campus protein for $38.99 making it $3.25 per serving. The major thing to realize here is that with RTDs you almost always pay more over the powder versions. C4 Ultimate the powder version goes for $39.99 for 20 servings making it $1.99 per serving. Comparing this to other RTDs, GAT Nitraflex is $2.20 per bottle and Pro Supps Mr. Hyde NitroX is $2.92 per serving. So, it does happen to be more expensive than other RTD products by at least a $1 per serving. I think you need to look at the ingredient profile to see if you think the extra cost is worth it for the C4 Ultimate On-The-Go over the others. I will note that C4 Ultimate On-The-Go does have clinical doses of beta alanine and citrulline malate while some other RTDs do not.

Side Effects

I did have a slight crash/headache and some gas on occasion while taking this product. I had 11 bottles, I spread them out and noticed a pattern with those side effects. It was nothing major but I thought it was worth noting.

Conclusion

C4 Ultimate On-The-Go is a convenient and effective RTD pre workout but it comes at a cost. I really enjoyed my time with this product but I do feel like it slightly too expensive. I do think if you have the extra money or find it on sale then it is worth a try. However, you are probably better off getting the powdered version on sale. Thank you to Clipper for sending the product!

-Xcmiler

Thanks to TOREM for sending it out!
  February 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient Packaging
  • No Jitters
  • Burns Fat
  • Enhances Definition
  • Easy To Stack
  • Decreased Bloating
  • Headache
  • Slightly Expensive

Up until seeing Torem on the Trooper Program I had never heard of them. As I have gotten older I have been moving away from stim heavy products especially fat burners. So, when Neco Adipem came up on the Trooper program I wanted to try it. Here is the review.

Neco-Adipem comes in box with 60 pouches that contain two pills each for a total of 120 capsules. Each pouch contains two capsules and the ingredients begin with 250mg of InnoSlim. This ingredient can help regulate glucose and increase fat burning. Next is 25mg of ActiGin, which can increase exercise performance and minimize inflammation after working out. After is 250mg of green tea extract, which can increase metabolism and increase fat burning. Next, is garcinia cambogia at 100mg that can support appetite control and reduce the storage of fat. Then you have Advantra-Z (Synephrine) at 50mg, which can act as a mild appetite suppressant and increase fat burning. The last ingredient is Capsimax at a 50mg dosage, which can aid in appetite management, supporting metabolism, and burning body fat. I most of the ingredients except for the Advantra-Z as it gave me headaches.

I will also note that Torem used four trademarked ingredients, which was great. I know that is a strong selling point for some other brands. They also use a plant based capsule and their capsule filler is brown rice. They also mention that this is stim free but I was always under the impression that Advantra-Z aka Synephrine had stimulant like properties. I am not really sure of its status but there is no caffeine added to this product.

Taste and mixability do not apply to this product. As far as dosing goes, I worked my way up to two pouches a day but had significant side effects (headaches). So, I ended up settling on 1-2 pills per day for a maximum of a pouch a day. I would take the doses spread out with a large meal or I would get a headache.

The effectiveness of this product is somewhat difficult to assess. I will be honest if I did not figure out the dosages for the headaches this review would have been much different. Until I figured out my correct dosage (1-2 pills per day at meals) did I begin to see some effectiveness. I took this over several months and I lost about 10 pounds. Now, I started this just after Thanksgiving and usually from then until after new years my diet is awful. In addition, my training will usually lessen due to holiday events. So, losing 10 pounds over all of that was quite nice. Especially since historically I have always gained a decent amount of weight over Christmas break and this time I did not. I also noticed that when I took this with a meal that would usually leave me feeling bloated it was a little lessened. Not drastically but it was enough that I definitely noticed it. I also felt a little leaner overall and felt like I was not as "puffy" as I sometimes would get when my macros are not being strictly followed. All of this was again with only 1-2 pills so I am curious what this could do at the full 2 pouches per day.

I will also note that I noticed a very slight increase in recovery when I switched my workout up to upper body/lower body routines. Last year, when I did this I noticed I was slightly more sore but I am thinking the ActiGin may have helped. Overall, I feel like this is an effective product ONCE I found my correct dosage.

At the time of this writing I found Neco-Adipem on Amazon for $44 for 60 pouches. This makes it $0.73 per pouch. So, if you were taking two pouches you are looking at $1.46 per day for max dosage. However, there is only one in stock so I am unsure how long that price will hold. On Torem's website, this is going for $45 per 60 pouches so if it does go out of stock on Amazon it can be bought there for about the same price. I do want to note that the packaging had a premium feel to it. It comes in a box and each serving (2 pills) is packaged in small pouches. I really liked this since I would not have to carry around a ziplock bag of pills when on the go. I do think there is slight value here if the price stays at $45 per box. However, that is the absolute max I would pay for this and to be honest while it was effective I did not like the headaches. I also did not value the potential risk of a headache if I did not take the product with enough food. I feel like there is slight value you here IF you react well to Advantra Z and are looking for a premium fat burner. I doubt I would try this again (due to risk of headaches) but I would try another product from Torem as I do value their use of trademarked ingredients and the premium quality feel.

Side Effects

When I first began taking this product I noticed an increase in headaches. The headaches got more frequent and worse as I started taking the "best results" recommended dosage of two packs. At first, I did not pinpoint the headaches to this product but after eliminating other things I discovered it was Neco Adipem. Looking at the ingredients it was the Advantra-Z that was the cause. Reflecting on previous products I have taken with that ingredient I do remember some frequent headaches similar to this product. I tried to research it and I did see other people had headaches with Advantra Z and Synephrine.

Therefore, I lowered the dosage and only took this product with large meals and took at most 1-2 pills per day. I noticed that I could take 2 pills per day as long as they were spread out and taken with a large meal. If I took them too close together or my meal was not large enough I would end up getting a headache. My advice would be to start at a low dosage and work up if you are unsure how your body might react to Advantra-Z.

Conclusion

If you respond well to Advantra-Z and want a premium fat burning product then I would give this a try. Thank you to Torem for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to The Genius Brand for sending it out!
  January 20, 2018

• Helps With Recovery
  • No Widely Available
  • No Larger Size Tub
  • No Other Flavors

Lately, I have been seeing more and more of the genius brand. They are very popular on Amazon and I have tried their caffeine pills. I have been a fan of whey protein isolate and casein blends so when I saw this protein go up for the Troops I wanted to try it. Here is the review.

Genius Protein comes in a two pound, 30 serving container. At the time of this writing there appears to be only one flavor, which is lean coco. Each serving is 32g and you get 110 calories, less than 1g of fat, 3.5g of carbohydrates (2.5g of sugar), and 24g of protein. Genius Brand discloses the protein ratio in their ingredient panel so you are looking at 13.5g from whey protein isolate (fast digesting) and 13.5g from micellar casein (slow digesting). I really like how they disclose the protein content as many other companies don't. Following those you have 2g of natural evaporated cane sugar and cocoa for flavoring. After that you have natural flavors, organic stevia leaf extract, salt, xanthan gum, and silica.

It is a very clean ingredient panel and I do like how there are no artificial sweeteners. I did weigh out the scoop and it was very accurate. I have had protein powders in the past that had heavy scoops and I am glad this one was accurate.

Genius Protein comes in only one flavor, which is lean coco. When you first open the tub the powder has a very dry smell. Almost like smelling unflavored cooking cocoa with hints of chocolate. When mixed, it has like a powdered hot cocoa type smell with almost hints of cream. The first taste you get hit with is a subtle chocolate cream taste and it is followed by a very slight bitter chocolate taste. The bitterness is very similar to dark chocolate. To me it tastes like someone took a milk chocolate bar, dark chocolate bar, and hot cocoa mix and put in a blender. It just had a really good balance and one that I enjoyed. I will note that I didn't really notice the stevia taste, I could slightly taste it a minute or two after drinking the protein. In terms of mixability, it mixed fairly well in milk but I did notice sometimes powder would get stuck in the pouring spout of a blender bottle. In water, it mixed fine and I didn't notice any powder getting stuck anywhere. As far as dosing goes, I used it to fill my protein macros so it depended on the day.

I do want to note here, I do wish they have other flavors as I think this one is quite good. I would love to see what they could do with a strawberry flavor or even a vanilla.

For this review I am going to look at three things I think Genius Protein aided in. They are improved recovery, muscle building, and saiting appetite. One of the things I noticed while taking this protein was a slight increase in recovery. I started drinking this with instant coffee about thirty minutes before my workouts. I noticed that I was not as sore as I usually am, which leads me to believe that this had a recovery benefit. This was more notable because I recently switched to incorporating 5x5 aspects into my workout routine. Since adding those I was extremely sore and would have to take an extra day. However, since dosing this pre workout (and taking additional BCAAs) I haven't needed to take that extra day as much. This in turn has led into the next benefit of muscle building. The improved recovery I felt helped me increase strength and build muscle. This was most notable in dumbbell bench press were I jumped up 10 pounds on flat and 5 pounds on incline. Prior to this I was plateaued hence the attempt to add in 5x5 routine. Overall, I felt like this protein was very effective for recovery and muscle building.

Another aspect that I felt the protein was effective for was saiting appetite. A couple of times I would take this in the morning and I would not get hungry for at least three hours (four if mixed with milk). In the past when I have used a protein shake for breakfast I would be get hungry a lot quicker and would tend to snack. So, I feel like this is an effective snack type protein due to the inclusion of the slow digesting micellar casein protein.

The only place that currently carries this protein is Amazon. A 30 serving container retails for $37.95 making it $1.26 per serving. Comparing it to other similar type products, Nutrabio Muscle Matrix Protein retails for $39.99 for about 28 servings making it $1.42 per scoop. Then you have Pro Jym that goes for $1.40 per serving, Syntha 6 goes for $1.06 per serving and PES Select is $1.43 per serving. I think that Genius Protein is competitively priced and is cheaper than several of the popular brands. There is definitely some value in this product. Genius Protein would be a product I would recommend if person was looking for a naturally flavored whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. I know since I shop on Amazon frequently, I could see adding this to my subscribe and save bringing the price down by 15% (depending on how many other items you have on the subscribe and save).

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Genius Protein is a great tasting whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. I felt like it helped me with recovery, muscle building, and saiting my appetite. It tastes quite good and has a rich taste to it. I do wish there were other flavors and a larger tub size. I definitely recommend giving this protein a try!

-Xcmiler

(SR paid for product; Up Energy did not participate)
  January 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient
  • Versatile
  • Crash
  • Energy Did Not Last Long

I have had an on and off relationship with energy drinks over the years. I use them sparingly for a convenient energy boost during the day or quick pre workout. I remember seeing Up Energy on social media but never got a chance to try it. So, when it came up on the Troop program I decided to give it a try. Here is the review.

Up Energy comes in a can that appears like your typical energy drink can. Each serving is 16 ounces and is carbonated. In each serving there are 15 calories, 7g of carbohydrates, and 0g of protein. It also contains 140% of daily value of niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and pantothenic acid. Niacin has several benefits such as helping with joints, skin health,and improving circulation. Following niacin, you have vitamin B6 with the major benefit of helping with blood flow, which is important for during workouts. Next, is Vitamin B12, which can increase energy and boost mood. The last vitamin ingredient is pantothenic acid, which can help with heart health and can reduce fatigue. In essence, Up Energy included a B vitamin blend in the drink, which I liked. Some other energy drinks will just load their product with just B-12 and not the other B vitamins.

Up Energy also includes a proprietary energy blend that is 1.5g. The first ingredient in this proprietary blend is taurine, which can improve athletic performance and aid with post exercise inflammation. Next, is caffeine that can increase energy, there is 200mg of caffeine in this product. After caffeine, you have panax ginseng root extract, which may boost energy and reduce stress (there are other benefits as well). Then you have l-carnitine tartrate that can increase energy, weight loss (improved body composition) and exercise performance. The next ingredient is glucuronolactone, which has the potential to aid in improving physical and mental performance. Next is inositol, which has some benefits such as boosting mood but the amount in this product (and other energy drinks) won't do much. Lastly, you have guarana that can provide energy and enhance athletic performance. The main thing here is that it is a prop blend so other than the caffeine we don't know how the other ingredients are split between the 1.3g. Furthermore, most of the ingredients within this prop blend won't provide much benefit at these small dosages. I will note that the blue version does contain dyes and has a slight blue hue to it. Also, this product does contain sucralose and ace-k.

At the time of this writing Up Energy comes in two flavors they are white and blue. I know I have seen that there is a red one that will release fairly soon. The blue flavor has an almost tropical raspberry smell to it. The taste of it seems similar to like sweet tarts (do they even make blue sweet tarts?) and I thought it was pretty good. The white had a more like white grape smell. As for the taste it again was similar to sweet tarts but less fruity. It kind of tasted similar to a white monster or a Sprite. Again, it was pretty good. I could see myself drinking these for the taste. Just to note both flavors are carbonated but I felt like the blue was more carbonated than the white one. In terms of dosing, I used these as a coffee replacement and a preworkout.

For this review I decided to rate the effectiveness in the two ways that I took this product. I took it as a coffee replacement in the mornings and as a preworkout. I took this for three mornings in a row as a coffee replacement. The main thing I noticed was that it gave me a decent amount of energy. I would say more than regular coffee and slightly more than homemade espresso. The energy did not feel as natural as the coffee or espresso and was harsher. I feel like it was more of a spike of energy and then a rapid fall off. This was very noticeable as I would start drinking this at about 7:15 and by about 8:00-8:15 I would begin to crash. By about 9:00 I would tired and just feel like I needed a cup of coffee. I notice that with my coffee I don't usually crash and it lasts me until about 11:00. Maybe the caffeine dose was too high for me or my tolerances were impacting it. I just did not like the way this product felt as a coffee replacement. I have used other energy drinks in the past and some have had the same effect. The only two I noticed that didn't were celsius and VPX Redline ( bottle)

I also used this several times as a preworkout. I would start to drink this about 10 minutes out from the gym and by the time I got changed and warmed up it had hit me. The energy was very sharp and lasted for about an 45 minutes to an hour and then I would start to fall off. I noticed that when I stacked this with a BCAA product the fall off was lessened and delayed. However, with this as a solo product it dropped quickly and I was tired from a crash when leaving the gym. One thing I want to note is my usual pre workout contains 175 mg of caffeine so it is not far off what is in this product. I am not really sure what was hitting me with the crash maybe it was something in the prop energy blend. I will note that for short workouts I did like the energy it gave me but that post workout crash just killed it for me. So, for short workouts this was effective. On days I would usually go from the gym to the park I had to have a cup of coffee on the way to the park. Again, this is something I never usually do as I don't like a lot of stimulants before a run.

One case of Up Energy retails for $29.99 for 12 cans making it $2.49 per can. I will also note that there is a discount $10 discount for buying two 12 can packages at once. This bulk discount continues so 4 packages has a discount of $20. In addition, they also recently rolled out a referral link program where a person can use the link to get $5 off. So, two packs of 12 cans would cost $44.98 making it $1.87 per can. Comparing this to other energy drink or RTD pre workouts, C4 on the Go goes for $2.50 per bottle. BSN Endorush goes for $2.49 per bottle and VPX Redline RTD goes for $2.04 per bottle. Right now on Amazon, I can get 24 pack of monster for $32.98 making it $1.37 per can. On Amazon as well, celsius is $20 for a case of 12 making it $1.66 per can. So, to be honest the price of Up Energy is somewhat competitive and does have some value if energy drinks are a frequent supplement. I know for me personally I use them sparingly but liked to have them around just in case.

Side Effects

The only thing I noticed was I had a pretty noticeable crash after about 1 to 1.5 hours after taking the product. I felt like the crash was worse than what I get with coffee and my current pre workout (Legion Pulse One Scoop). I am not really sure why it was worse but I will note that it was not terrible.

Conclusion

I thought about not recommending this product because of the crash but I do feel like it is worth a try. The reason being is I had to go through a lot of RTD energy drinks before I found the two that worked for me (celsius and VPX). So, I do feel like this is a good starting point to see if this energy supplement works for you. Remember, supplements work different for each individual person. I did find this effective for short workouts but I still had that post workout crash. Bottom line, this is worth a try but for me I won't be trying it again. Thank you to Clipper for sending the product.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High-Quality Blend
  • Non-GMO
  • FDA Inspected
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Repairs Muscle
  • Third Party Testing
  • High Protein Per Serving
  • The Flavoring Could Use Work

Over the past few years I have become a fan of Nutrabio. I currently take their multivitamin, vitamin D, and all my bulk supplements will come from them. Since they started letting the consumer view the third party tests I have been moving the bulk of what I take under the brand. So, when Muscle Matrix Protein came up for review I knew I wanted to try it as it has been on my radar for quite some time. Here is the review.

Muscle Matrix Protein comes in two types of tubs. The first is a five pound tub and the one I received was a two pound tub. In the tub, there are about 28 servings with each serving being about 31g. From each serving you are getting 120 calories, 0.5g of fat, 2g of carbohydrates, and 25g of protein. The protein source is a combination of non denatured whey protein isolate (WPI) and micellar casein. You are looking at 16.31g of WPI that yields 14.19g of complete protein and 13.68g of casein that yields 10.81g of complete protein. So, 55% of the protein is from WPI while 45% is from casein protein. The big key here is that with WPI is fast digesting while casein is slow digesting. So, in this case Nutrabio states that this protein will elevate muscle protein synthesis for up to four hours. In addition, there is also 1.6g of flavoring with 750 mg of natural flavors, 450 mg of cocoa powder, 2010 mg of xanthan gum, 110 mg of salt, and 80 mg of sucralose. Not many supplement companies will also disclose their levels of flavoring and I think it is great that Nutrabio does it.

One of my favorite things about the profile in Nutrabio is that I can look up a third party test for the protein content of the batch my protein came from. The lot number on my bottle is from #225433A and the test reports that in each serving there is 25.47g of protein. This is great that a consumer has the ability to look up the third party testing.

Muscle Matrix Protein currently comes in four flavors they are chocolate peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, and cookies & cream. I requested and received the cookies & cream flavor. I always mixed the protein with skim milk and noticed that it had a very creamy milk smell. When you first drink it you are hit with a very slight mellow taste that could be described as cookie dough. This taste then quickly goes to cream and that is how the flavor finishes. I will note there's a slight creamy aftertaste, which I attribute to the casein (and probably the milk). It mixes very well with a blender bottle and is a little on the thicker side. I really prefer this as I felt like their whey protein isolate was too thin. As far as dosing goes, I used this to fill in my protein macros so it varied daily.

I always find it challenging to rate the effectiveness of a protein supplement since it really is a food. I always use protein powder to fill in my daily macros and when I review them I look for subtle variations in my training. The first major thing I noticed that my strength, recovery, and endurance did not dip when I switched to this protein. I noticed a subtle increase in my recovery and that in turn I feel like led to better training sessions. This then of course would lead to some increase in strength. One of the major things I noticed with this protein was the ability it had to digest slowly but not weighing be down. In the past with other whey protein blends they would make me feel heavy. Muscle Matrix did not and I used it often for a pre workout protein shake and between the gym and park. This was great since in the past I have gotten hungry during my workout or run.

I think the most notable area this product helped me with was with recovery from running. I noticed on days that I will just do cardio I would always be drained after run. After I would run I started drinking this protein and noticed I was less fatigued. I have tried to eat a meal after those runs but that would leave me tired. So, there was something about this protein that gave me a jolt of energy so I could continue my day after an early morning run. I have noticed this in the past with other protein blends but I do feel like this product stayed with me a little longer.

Nutrabio Muscle Matrix Protein retails for $39.99 for about 28 servings making it $1.42 per scoop. Also, this is available in a 5 pound tub that retails for $79.99 with about 71 servings making it $1.12 per serving. Comparing to to some other proteins with similar ingredients at their largest tub size, Pro Jym goes for $1.10 per serving. Syntha 6 goes for $.94 per serving and PES Select is $.91 per serving. Muscle Matrix Protein is towards the expensive side since the other proteins listed frequently go on sale. I see Nutrabio sales about twice a year and the largest I have seen is 20%. Personally, I don't mind paying the extra with Nutrabio since I know I am getting a quality product. Also, I am able to view third party testing for the lot number of the batch of protein in my bottle.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, Nutrabio Muscle Matrix is a great whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. It helped with my recovery, which in turn helped me to continue to achieve my fitness goals. The flavor is okay but I will be honest I have always thought Nutrabio flavoring was just okay. I feel like it is competitively priced. It has a large edge due to the ability to view third party testing for protein content. Muscle Matrix Protein is definitely worth a try.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to Mind Muscle Nutrition for sending it out!
  January 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Focus
  • Increased Recovery
  • Transparent Label
  • Hydration
  • Increased Pump
  • Improved Endurance
  • Very Tart

I have taken intra workouts on and off over the years depending on my training. When I do a lot of running I like to take an intra workout because I will usually go from the gym to the park. So, when Mind Muscle Nutrition put up their Hydra Focus intra workout I wanted to try it. Here is the review.

Hydra Focus comes in a tub with 30 servings that are about 20g. The first ingredient is 640 mcg of vitamin B6, which can aid in blood flow. The next ingredients are 220 mg of sodium and 170 mg of potassium, which act as electrolytes. Following those you have 4g of citrulline malate. The main benefit to citrulline malate is that it can boost nitric oxide levels and can help with pumps during your workout. Also, since it has the malate it can also help with endurance and has anti-fatigue properties. Next, you have 7g of BCAA with 3.5g of l-leucine, 1.75g of l-isoleucine, and 1.75g of l-valine. BCAA can aid in muscle recovery and can also reduce fatigue during a workout. After you have 2.5g of l-glutamine that can aid in recovery and also improve gut health. Although with l-glutamine you need to take a lot for it to hit the muscle so most of it will probably be taken up by the gut. Next up is a large dose of n-acetyl l-tyrosine (NALT) at 1g. The 1g dose is more than most pre workouts I have seen. NALT can improve focus during your workout. The next ingredient is 500 mg of choline bitartrate, which can improve focus. The last ingredient is coconut water at 500 mg to increase hydration and provide additional electrolytes.

I really like the ingredient profile and it was one of the most comprehensive intras that I have taken in a while. You could just add one caffeine pill and you have a pre/intra that is better than most pre and intra workouts on the market. The only thing I would have prefered is a slightly higher dosage of l-glutamine (5g).

Hydra focus comes in two flavors they are orange smarty and blue slush. I received the blue slush as that what was available when they went up for the troops. The powder is white, which is great since there are no dyes in the product. The powder smells kind of like a dry berry type smell similar to blue raspberry. When mixed it has a faint blush slush smell. The taste of this is very tart, that kind of tart that gives you the weird feeling in the corners of your jaw. It was by no means bad and was kind of expected for what is in this. I have used several of the ingredients in bulk and they were hard to mask the flavor of especially NALT and citrulline malate. The flavor overall was okay but I have never been a blue slush fan. I think I would have preferred their other flavor (orange smarty). In terms of mixability, it mixed great and I never noticed any chunks nor did it ever foam. In terms of dosing, I would use one scoop either intra workout or I would drink it as I ran. I always used about 20-28 ounces of water with ice in a blender bottle.

Hydra Focus was a very effective intra workout supplement for weight training and running. The major benefits I noticed from this were increased pumps, focus, hydration, endurance, and recovery. In terms of pumps, I noticed that I felt a lot fuller in the gym when took this product. It was most notable on chest/bi and back/tri days. I noticed that even as a solo product with a caffeine pill or coffee I still had pretty good pumps. It definitely enhanced whatever pre workout I was using with it. In terms of pumps for running I noticed that my calves and quads felt and looked pumped after I finished running. One of my major issues when I workout is a lack of focus after I start working out. I have a hard time "getting in the zone" so when I look for an intra workout supplement I look for focus ingredients. In this regard, Hydra Focus helped me a lot with focus especially in the gym. I found myself concentrating on the weights rather than checking my phone or talking. I also noticed that on the trail I was less focused on looking at the scenery (really cool old railroad buildings) and more focused on the run. For focus this product worked better than other intra workouts I have taken.

Hydration in my workouts is something that I usually measure based on how many times I will go up for water. Using this I felt more hydrated and found myself not needing to constantly be drinking water. In addition, I also noticed that I cramped less when running and did not need to stop and drink as much while running. This is very beneficial since if I stop I can lose my focus in the run and being able to stop less due to being thirsty helped a lot. Going off hydration I also noticed an increase in endurance in the gym and on the trail. In the gym, I noticed it more on supersets and on days I did the stairmaster. On the trail, I noticed it when I would do hill work and sprints (less in the winter months but I still do them). I also noticed it for long distance running but I think the main benefit to that came with the increased hydration.

Lastly, I noticed an increase in recovery in both the gym and running. I felt like I was able to push myself a little farther each week I took this. I noticed that I was able to workout a little more intensely on back and chest days where my bis and tris would still be sore and hold me back. As far as running goes, I noticed I was less sore than usual when taking Hydra Focus. This enabled me to run more often where some days I would go to the park and just jog.

Hydra Focus retails for $35 for 30 servings making it $1.16 per serving. Now, if you only take this on workout days the tub can last a while. Comparing it to other intra workouts Nutrabio Intra Blast comes in at $1.33 per serving. In-Kaged comes in at $1.30 per serving and Xtend comes in at $.93 per serving. Hydra Focus is very competitively priced and taking into account the formula I think it has a lot of value. Especially since just adding a caffeine pill or drinking a seperate cup of coffee with it makes it a solid pre/intra workout. The main problem I have with the other products listed in the comparison is they felt lacking in the area of focus. When I workout my main problem is focus so for me Hydra Focus has the most value.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Hydra Focus is a fantastic intra workout supplement that improved my pumps, focus, hydration, endurance, and recovery. It tasted pretty good but was very tart so keep that in mind. I feel like it is a versatile product and can be taken as a pre workout if adding in a caffeine source (caffeine pill, coffee etc.). It is competitively priced and has become my intra workout of choice. I definitely recommend giving it a try. Thank you to Mind Muscle Nutrition for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to Purus Labs for sending it out!
  December 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • Healthy Fats
  • Curbed Appetite
  • Great Coffee Creamer
  • Some Side Effects

Prior to accepting Ketofeed I was experimenting with a keto diet. I will be honest it was not working out well and I received Ketofeed about two weeks in. A little after that I decided to scratch the keto diet and decided to use Ketofeed as a appetite curbing snack and as a coffee creamer. Here is the review.

Ketofeed comes in a small container with 15 40g servings. Each serving has 170 calories, 10g of fat (5g saturated fat), 1g of carbohydrate, and 20g of protein. The protein source is whey protein isolate and they mention that there are zero net carbs. It also does not contain any dyes or fillers. I will note that it is sweetened with sucralose and ace-k. The main ingredient and draw to this product is the MCT powder. The major thing with MCT powder is that it can be used as a fuel source and it not typically stored as fat. There is some evidence that MCT powder can enhance weight loss. In addition, people that took MCT powder were shown to eat less than individuals that did not. MCT powder also have been shown to have antioxidant properties and can crossover the blood brain barrier.

Ketofeed comes in two flavors and they are samoa chocolate cream and salted vanilla caramel. I requested the samoa chocolate cream and that is what I recieved. When you first open the container it has a creamy samoa smell to it. I mostly mixed this with coffee or I would I make a small shake with some milk and a quarter of a scoop. In coffee this was quite good and I never saw myself needing to add a sweetener to my coffee. It gave the coffee a samoa cream taste. In milk, it was really good and tasted almost candy bar like. In terms of mixability, I always used a spoon and felt like it mixed fairly well using a spoon. I mixed it once in a blender bottle and it mixed great with the blender ball.

In terms of dosing, I used this in two ways, as a coffee creamer and a small snack with milk. I did try to do a full shake once but I had some significant GI side effects. As a coffee creamer, I would mix a quarter scoop into my coffee with spoon. As a small snack with milk, it was also a quarter scoop with milk. I felt like both of these were effective in curbing my appetite.

I am going to focus on the effectiveness of this product based on weight management and "energy" I got from the product. The major way I took this was as a creamer for coffee. What I noticed that when I would use it this way, it would almost extend and mellow out coffees energy properties. So, I noticed that the energy from coffee instead of peaking right away and dropping off, lasted a little longer. However, the energy was less than if I drank coffee black. I prefer this in the mornings as I noticed black coffee would wear off quickly. With Ketofeed I had less intense energy but it lasted longer. I did try this before a workout with coffee and did not like how it made me feel. So, I stuck with using this as a coffee creamer for the extended energy.

In terms of weight management, I felt like Ketofeed was effective in curbing my appetite. I noticed that when I used this in the morning as a coffee creamer I wasn't really hungry until about 2-3 hours later. I really liked this because usually coffee alone will only curb my appetite for an hour max. One of my major issues with weight loss is eating at night. So, using this as a small snack with skim milk definitely helped me stop from eating over my calories at night.

Ketofeed retails for $24.99 from most websites for 15 servings making it $1.66 per serving. If you are using this as a full scoop I think this is quite pricey. However, using it as a sporadic coffee creamer and snack to curb appetite I think the price is okay. I wouldn't mind paying that as I think the bottle would last fairly long. Furthermore, I have tried using other proteins as coffee creamers and they just didn't taste good or wouldn't mix. So, I feel for the "bulletproof coffee" lite creamer this is worth the price for me. However, I could see it being viewed as expensive since MCT powder isn't that expensive ($21.99 for one pound at Nutrabio).

Side Effects

I did have some GI side effects from what I presume was the MCT poweder in the product. On the first day of receiving this I mixed a scoop with milk and about an hour after I was running for the bathroom. I found that anything over a quarter scoop at one time would give me GI side effects. So, to alleviate this I only used at max a quarter of a scoop at one time and never really went over a half scoop a day. If a person was to purchase this I would just be cognizant of how MCT powder might affect you and dose accordingly.

Conclusion

Overall, I really liked Ketofeed as a supplement to blunt and extent the energy I got from coffee. In addition, it helped me to curb my appetite in the mornings and at night where I tend to overeat. As a coffee creamer and quarter scoop snack, I think it has some value. I would definitely start with a lower dosage to see how you react to the MCT powder. Ketofeed is definitely worth a try. Thank you to Purus Labs for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to Dioxyme for sending it out!
  December 29, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Boosts Endurance
  • Tastes Good
  • Increased Strength
  • Overall Performance Enhancer
  • Informed Choice
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Some Water Retention

I have never heard of Dioxyme until they started sending out their products to Troopers. When I saw their Muscle Protein Optimizer (MPO) I wanted to try it. One of the main reasons was the ingredients of combining HICA, HMB and phosphatidic acid. I have taken all of these supplements but not all at once. So, here is the review.

MPO comes in a 30 serving tub with each serving coming in at 20g. The main thing I want to note right at the start is this is a proprietary blend. So, we don't actually know the dosages of each ingredient in the product. The first ingredient complex is the "nitramino complex" that consists of creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine at a 6500 mg dosage. Creatine monohydrate increases creatine and phosphocreatine levels in the body. As a person exercises their body converts ATP to ADP. Only ATP can be used for energy production. ADP will bind to phosphocreatine, which is higher now due to supplementing with creatine. When it binds it will convert back into ATP, which in turn can increase energy. This increased energy can then be used to increase performance. The main benefit to beta alanine is that it can be an acid buffer in the body and can help improve fatigue during exercise. The clinical dosages for these ingredients is 3-5g for creatine monohydrate and 2-3.2g for beta-alanine. So, in this proprietary blend it is plausible you are getting a clinical dosage of both ingredients.

The next group of ingredients is in the mTOR Optimatrix, which consists of hydroxy methylbutyrate (HMB), alpha-hydroxyisocaproic acid (HICA), and phosphatidic acid (PA). These three ingredients make up 5250 mg in the product. HMB can aid in muscle protein synthesis and can also prevent muscle breakdown. The main thing here is the clinical dosage for HMB 3g so I am unsure if you are getting it with MPO. However, looking at the mTOR optimatrix 3g might be plausible. The next is HICA, which is also known as leucic acid and works similar to HMB by increasing muscle protein synthesis and decreasing muscle breakdown. There really isn't a clinical dosage set but I have seen between 1-1.5g and it is plausible you are getting this with MPO. The last ingredient is PA, which promotes muscle growth and strength increases. The minimum effective dosage I have seen is 750 mg. Based on the clinical dosage of the other ingredients in this matrix it is plausible you are getting at least that.

Overall, I really like the ingredient profile especially the inclusion of HMB, HICA and PA. Those ingredients on their own can be expensive and having them in one convenient supplement is nice. As for the creatine and BA, I liked the dosages and I am presuming they are probably using 3250 mg of each. This is my standard dosage of both when I take them in bulk.

MPO comes in only one flavor and that is lemonade. The powder smells a little odd it is hard to describe as I expected a lemon scent. Now, this doesn't really matter since I am not snorting it. When mixed with liquid that lemonade scent comes out and the odd smell goes away. When you taste the product it definitely has that lemonade taste but it is somewhat muted. It tastes like watered down lemonade, which I kind of preferred. I notice other supplement companies will make their lemonade flavor overly sweet this was not the case with MPO. In terms of mixability, MPO mixes somewhat clear but is a little cloudy. There is a decent amount of particles that sink the bottom but will disperse when shaking the blender bottle. However, after a minute they sink back down. I wasn't surprised by this as a lot of products with creatine I have used have done the same thing. As far as doing goes, I stuck to one scoop per day but I think technically for my weight I am recommended to take 1.5 scoops. I never felt the need to increase my dosage. I also will note that I took this product twice a day in half scoop serving to reduce water retention.

The major claims made by Dioxyme for MPO are increased strength, muscle growth, and endurance boost. So, I felt I would rate these major claims. I will note that they mention no loading required and for the BA and creatine you do need to load as they work on saturation. As for the other ingredients I don't recall reading anything about them needing to load. I do know that with PA I always felt like it took at least two weeks to kick in. When I first started taking MPO, I noticed that over the course of the first two weeks my strength slowly started to increase. This was most notable on my dumbbell bench press were I had dipped in strength recently as my main goal has been weight loss. I was able to jump up five pounds in the first two weeks and then jumped 10 pounds in the final week. I thought this was quite good because I had been plateaued for awhile. I feel like this in turn lead into the other claim of muscle growth. I felt like my chest was fuller and when I came off MPO and was creatine free I noticed an increase in chest size than prior to taking MPO. So, based on that I feel like I had some muscle growth from MPO. It helped in other areas as well but my chest was were I noticed the most results.

I also noticed some muscle gains in my legs from running. I recently have been doing a lot more hill work and definitely noticed a size difference in my calves. They appeared larger and slightly more defined than they were before MPO. Speaking of running, this is where I saw a large boost in endurance. I run all year round and I primarily do sprint work in the Spring/Summer and long distance work in the Fall/Winter. So, when I started back up doing long distance running I had some problems with endurance and would have to slow to a jog frequently. However, I noticed that when I began to include this (and a intra-workout BCAA product) my endurance was increased. This was especially noticeable when going over five miles as I would struggle between mile five and six but would rebound for seven and finish on eight. I noticed I did not struggle as much and had an easier time finishing the run. This was also noticed in the gym with supersets but not as significant as I saw on the trail.

MPO is quite expensive when you first look at it retailing for $69.99, which is a lot for a supplement. At one scoop a day, you are looking at $2.33 per serving/day. It is hard to compare this since not many products on the market have the exact same makeup. The closest is Olympus Labs Tr1umph that retails for $47.99 making it $1.59 per serving but OL runs a lot of sales so you could find it 50% off. However, OL does not have Informed Choice. There is PES Ergonine that goes for $29.99 making it $1.00 per day but that can be lowered with coupon codes. While Tr1umph and Ergonine share some ingredients with MPO they don't share everything. So, I decided to see if I bought MPO in bulk how much would it cost.

I personally get all my bulks from Nutrabio so creatine is $.14 per 5g dosage. Beta alanine is $.18 for a 2g dosage. Now, this consists of the "nitramino complex" but I don't know the exact dosages so let's just say that it came to $.32. Now, for the "mTOR Optimatrix" it is 5250mg consisting of HMB, HICA and phosphatidic acid. The HMB is going to cost at Nutrabio $1.06 but that is for a 3000 mg dose. This leaves 2250 mg in the formula. HICA is hard to find the only place I found it is from Labrada and for a 1000mg dose you are looking at $.58. Finally, you have phosphatidic acid, which is hard to find nowadays. It appears that a lot of companies aren't manufacturing the products as abundantly as they once were. I know many individuals take soy lecithin granules for PA but those gave me significant side effects. HPN Supplements has a PA supplement for $1.37 for 900mg of PA. So, in total you are looking at $3.33 per comparable dosage to one scoop of MPO. However, keep in mind MPO is a prop blend so I am not sure of the dosage. Also, whenever I do price comparisons I only use stores that I feel comfortable buying from. So, I know you can get a lot of this from bulk websites for very cheap but I personally don't feel comfortable buying my supplements from those sites.

So, overall in terms of value, I think there is definitely value here if you want to take the ingredients in this formula. If you were to take more than a scoop a day I feel like the value of this product plummets. This is a premium product and it is priced accordingly and it might not fit everyone's budget. I personally will use it as a plateau breaker running it maybe once or twice a year. Since I usually use PA for that anyway I might as well utilize MPO.

Side Effects

The only side effect I noticed was some slight water retention. However, I get this with most creatines other than HCL. I reduced the retention by splitting up my dosage to a half scoop twice a day.

Conclusion

Overall, I really liked my time with MPO and I could see myself using it as a plateau breaker. I do feel like it is too expensive to use as a regular daily ergogenic and could see myself using once or twice a year. I found it effective for increasing strength, endurance and muscle mass. If it is in your budget and you are currently at a plateau I would recommend giving this a try for a month. Thank you for Dioxyme for sending out the product!

Thanks to Platinum Labs for sending it out!
  December 29, 2017

• No Proprietary Blends
  • Decent Thermogenesis
  • Fat Loss
  • GMP
  • Good Energy
  • Some Mixability Issues
  • Occasional Headache

I remember first seeing Platinum Labs a long time ago on the site and recently it seems they are making a comeback. I can remember reading the reviews on OptiBurn but never got around to trying it because it was hard to find in the US. So, when Platinum Labs put up their OptiBurn Amped I had to try it. Here is the review.

Each bottle of Optiburn Amped comes with 45 servings at about 8g each. The first ingredient is 2000mg of acetyl-l-carnitine, which can help the body utilize fat as energy. The next is 1500mg of taurine, which has antioxidant properties and can improve exercise performance. Following taurine, you have CLA at a 500mg dosage, which can aid in the prevention of fat storage. 500mg is on the lower side for CLA dosage as I have seen up to 3g daily recommended for fat loss. The next ingredient I haven't seen before and that is lotus leaf extract at a 300mg dosage. This ingredient is said to have properties that prevent obesity and can boost mood. Next, you have african mango extract at a 300mg dosage. The main benefit claim with african mango is that it can make you feel fuller thus you eat less. Following this you have horsetail extract at 300mg dose, which acts as a diuretic. After horsetail you have caffeine anhydrous at 250mg dosage, which increases energy. Next, you have green coffee bean extract at a 250mg dose, which can help prevent fat storage. Then you have green tea extract at a 200mg dosage, which can aid in weight loss and have antioxidant properties. Then you have raspberry ketones at a 250mg dosage, this ingredient can aide in lipolysis. After this you have, dandelion extract, which is another diuretic similar to horsetail. Then there is higenamine HCl at 50mg, this ingredient is a stimulant that is thought to boost metabolism. Lastly, you have synephrine HCl at a 30mg dosage, which is similar to higenamine and is said to increase metabolism. I will note that the product is sweetened with sucralose.

Overall, I really like the ingredient profile especially the 2000mg of acetyl-l-carnitine. I also liked how the caffeine dosage was just enough for me that I could use this as a coffee replacement before/after breakfast. Some ingredients such as the CLA were not near clinical dosages but perhaps they work synergistically with the other ingredients. I will note I did not like the inclusion of synephrine as I discovered I get headaches from it. It appears they have reformulated OptiBurn with the only change being the removal of synephrine and adding in 75mg of paradoxine, which I prefer.

Optiburn Amped comes in four flavors they are lemon lime, peach, watermelon and Australian summer. I was sent the Australian Summer flavor and it was great. The powder had a very fruity smell and the taste is quite good. It is hard to describe but it seemed to me like a fruity iced tea candy. I know that might sound odd but it worked. In terms of mixability, it mixed fairly well but there were a good amount of floaters on the bottom of the shaker. As far as dosage goes, I only took one scoop a day and the timing varied. I will note that I always took this around a meal because I noticed that if I didn't I would get a headache.

At the start of taking this product I was about 215 and at the end I was around 208. In total, that is seven pounds lost, which I thought was pretty good. So, in terms of pounds lost I feel like this is an effective product. I also want to rate the effectiveness based on the three claims on the bottle, which are increased energy, fast acting, and enhanced mood. I definitely noticed an increase of energy when taking this product. A few times I used this before a pre workout meal and the energy lasted me into my workout. On those days I would usually skip the preworkout. I did take this a few times as a pre workout and felt like the increase energy was quite good but a little more mellow than my typical pre workout. I also noticed that I would get a headache if I did not take this around food. In terms of the fast acting claim, I did feel like this worked rather quickly. I commute to work and it takes about 45-60 minutes depending on the traffic. I would usually start to drink it halfway through my commute and could feel it by the time I got to work. I would say I would begin to feel it about 20-25 minutes after taking it. As far the the enhanced mood goes, I didn't feel anything in this regard. To be honest, on some days it did the opposite because I would get a headache if I did not take it with food. I wouldn't take this for mood support as their are other supplements out there for that. Overall, I found this product to be effective and I lost seven pounds over the course of taking it.

OptiBurn Amped is difficult to find since the company is primarily based in Australia. They used to be around a lot in US online stores but not so much anymore. When I do value reviews I only use stores that I would feel comfortable ordering from. I actually couldn't find one that carried Optiburn Amped so I am going direct with Platinum Labs. The new version (paradoxine replacing synephrine) is currently $39.99 for 45 servings making it $.88 per serving (maximum recommended daily dosage). Comparing this to other powdered fat burners Core Nutritionals Burn Ultra goes for $39.99 for 56 servings making it $.71 per serving. However, they recommend two scoops per day so you are looking at $1.42 per day. SuperHD from cellucor goes for $29.99 making it $1.00 per serving but again they recommend up to three scoops ($3.00 a day for some). Optiburn Amped is a great value especially since the serving is one scoop per day and that is all that is recommended.

Side Effects

I did have some side effects from this product and they were the occasional headache. I pinpointed it to the synephrine HCl, which is in a 30 mg dosage. When taking around a meal I noticed the headaches were less prominent. After taking this product, I started taking another that also had synephrine and I noticed once I restarted synephrine HCl the same headaches returned. I am happy to see though it appears they have reformulated and relabeled Optiburn Amped and took out the synephrine. It appears that they added paradoxine, which is an ingredient I like using.

Conclusion

OptiBurn Amped is a great tasting and effective weight loss supplement. I lost seven pounds over the course of taking it, which was quite good for a fat burner run for me. I did have some headaches from the product but after taking it around food those were lessened. They did just reformulate the product and took out the ingredient that gave me the headaches. In terms of value, I think it is quite good but difficult to find in the US. Thank you to Platinum Labs for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler

Thanks to Wheyd for sending it out!
  December 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenient Packets
  • GMO-Free
  • Grass Fed Cows
  • Informed Sport
  • Improved Recovery
  • Too Expensive For US Buyers

When I first saw whey'd come up for review I was intrigued by the packaging and that it came from the UK. I haven't seen a protein product that solely came from packets (I'm sure there are others out there). Since a lot of my protein drinking is on the go I decided to give these a try. Here is the review.

Each serving of whey'd comes in a small sachet that weighs about 24g. This sachet contains one serving that has 86 calories, 0.3g of fat, 0.6g carbohydrates, and 20g of protein. In addition, each sachet also breaks down the BCAA content so for each serving. In each serving, you are getting 2.3g of leucine, 1.7g of isoleucine, and 1.5g of valine. I liked that they broke it down like this so altogether you are getting about 5.5g of BCAA from the one serving. I was quite surprised by how lean this was only coming in at 86 calories for 20g of protein.

The protein source in this product is hydrolysed whey protein isolate from Irish grass fed cows. The main thing with hydrolysed whey isolate is that it is supposed to digest more quickly, which a lot of people like post workout. The next ingredient is soy lecithin as an emulsifier, many protein powders include this in it. Next up is cocoa, flavouring, salt and sucralose as the sweetener. There was one ingredient I haven't seen before in a protein and that is the stabilizer known as carboxymethylcellulose. At first I had no idea what this was but then I looked it up and it is also known as cellulose gum. A lot of protein powders include these gums and some of the most common are xanthan, acacia, and guar gums. Overall, I liked the ingredient profile especially the leanness of the macros.

I was sent both the strawberries & cream and the chocolate flavor for review. The strawberries & cream has a very distinct smell that matches the flavor exactly. It has a rich strawberry taste that is followed by a cream finish. The chocolate has a rich chocolate smell and the taste is definitely more rich and not as sweet as other chocolates I have had. Out of these two flavors the strawberries and cream is the clear winner (and I usually am a chocolate person). Both flavors mixed fine with water and I had no problems putting them in water bottles. As far as dosing goes, I used these to fill my protein macros. However, I mostly used them between the gym and cardio as they digested quite quickly.

When I look to categorize a protein powder I always put them under food as I use them to fill my protein macros. So, it is hard to to pinpoint the effectiveness of a protein supplement. What I will usually do is see if I notice any subtle dips or improvements with my training regime. I felt that with whey'd I definitely noticed some improvement in my recovery. This was most notable with my running that I do. Three days a week I will workout at the gym and then go to the park for cardio. Between the gym and park I would usually have a protein shake but some shakes won't digest that fast and my run suffers. However, with whey'd I never felt weighed down at the park and felt like I digested it quickly (or it at least left my stomach fast). This helped me increase the intensity of my runs and it gave me a small energy boost.

I also found this effective for the convenience sachet. I will usually scoop my protein powder into my blender bottle and add water to it later in the day when I am ready to drink it. What I notice is that with some protein powders they won't mix as well or powder will get stuck at the bottom corners. However, with the whey'd sachet this never happened. Now, I know I could just get one of those funnels but I had a few leak on me in the past. It honestly was just convenient to have the sachet and it was already portioned. When I really start cutting I will weigh out my protein powder since scoops aren't always accurate. This weighing can get messy especially since I usually do it early in the AM. So, having the sachet helped a lot with convenience. I will note I did weigh the whey'd powder and they filled them accurately. I also found these to be an effective way to fill my protein macros because of the lean macro profile.

Before I even get into value I just want to note that this is a UK based company so all prices on their website are British pound. In addition, I will also note that in order for the product to ship to the US the shipping cost is 20.00 or $26.00. Whey'd comes in either one sachet for 2.00 ($2.67), five sachets for 10.00 ($13.36), and fifteen sachets 25.00 ($33.40). If buying the fifteen sachets you are looking at 1.66 ($2.22) per sachet. There is also subscription options that are available for a person's particular dosage needs. For example, if you only take protein on workout days there is a 5x per week subscription for 35 ($46.76) per month. I actually really like the idea of the subscription especially since the product comes in serving sized sachet.

I'll be honest I am having a difficult time rating the value of this product. I love the different subscription options (2x per day, 1x per day, 5x per week, and 3x per week). I also like how lean the profile is and the convenient sachet. Since I am in the US this is just too expensive in my opinion to use on a weekly/daily basis as a protein supplement. However, if I lived in the UK, I would probably subscribe to this at the 5x or 3x per week plan.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Whey'd is a really unique protein powder that I really enjoyed taking. I loved how it came in pre portioned sachets and that the profile was incredibly lean. I found it very effective for recovery as I was able to take it between the gym and running due to the speed of digestion. It is on the expensive side for US buyers but if I lived in the UK I would definitely purchase and subscribe to try the service out. Thank you to whey'd for sending out the product and sorry for the delayed review.

-Xcmiler