Wolfhawk46

• Low community participation

Reviews by Wolfhawk46

March 13, 2015

• Not Enough Raisins

So there I was...trolling my local nutrition store for Quest Bars. The only flavors they had left were Chocolate Brownie, Peanut Butter Chocolate and Cinnamon Swirl. All of which I dislike (hate). So I looked for alternatives and came across these cookies. I thought to myself..."Self, you like cookies and these have protein as an added bonus." Sweet. So I grabbed a chocolate Chip and an Oatmeal Raisin to try out. Turns out, they're pretty good, but REALLY not good for you. Also, if you're a Celiac, you will die...so there's that.

Ho...

Honestly, if I look at these as a protein bar, they're freaking garbage. The first ingredient is sugar in the Chocolate Chip Cookie version. They have 9g of Saturated fat, and 14g of sugar (Oatmeal Raisin is 18g.) Their protein sources, while both Isolates, are from Soy and Wheat protein. Not exactly what I look for from a protein bar. If I think of it as a Meal replacement though, they're not bad. 41g of Carbs (Oatmeal Raisin is 34g), 15g of fat (Oatmeal Raisin is 8g), 18g of protein (Oatmeal raisin is 22g). So if you're going to get one, get the Oatmeal Raisin because it is definitely healthier. If you're looking for a protein bar, look elsewhere. These make a tasty snack though.

This is the most important thing for a product labeled as a cookie (that's why you'd buy it isn't it?) You're not buying this because you want to be healthy. You're buying this to get you through that long period between meals. The chocolate chip cookie, while not winning any awards against Mrs. Fields cookies, is pretty good. Yeah, pretty good, but not great. It scratches that cookie itch. The same with the Oatmeal Raisin, though I prefer big chunks of raisin, which this cookie is sorely lacking. Both do taste like cookies though, and both are moist and soft (thank you butter and HFCS.)

While they have a decent amount of Isolate protein, it's not from sources I'd consider of high quality. Soy and Wheat proteins are not on my list of proteins to consume compared to Whey, milk, egg, or Casein. It doesn't help that I have am gluten intolerance, so eating these led to some discomfort. But if you can't eat animal products, these are free of anything from an animal according to their packaging (Halal.) Also, they're higher in fat and sugar than I'd like with not enough fiber. I can't help but feel like I could eat three Quest Bars for the same amount of calories and be better off with 3x as much quality protein and 6x the fiber.

I paid around $2.50 per pack of two cookies. That's pretty high when you consider that Quest Bars and Ansi Cheesecake Bars are slightly cheaper and preferable (better protein, fiber, less sugar, less fat, etc.) Also, $2.50 for two cookies seems pretty steep. But compared to say...a Subway sandwich, it's a cheaper option for a light meal.

Side Effects

N/A
Kept me from being hungry, only caused mild gluten intolerance discomfort. I'm not rating side effects because not everyone has issues with Gluten.

Conclusion

Overall, these are pretty tasty meal replacement snacks with some decent Macronutrients for those "4th meal" cravings. I still think you'd be better off eating two Quest Bars. They are a slightly healthier alternative to actual cookies and taste almost as good. I'm out.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps Burn Fat
  • Kidney Pain
  • Death
  • Jittery Energy Followed By A Crash

Canned Intro Statement (Two turtledoves...and a...nevermind): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

Ok, well I've reviewed most of the products that I actually like, and a few that are meh. Now it's time for me to start reviewing products that I HATE. OxyElite Pro is the top of that list, right ahead of ERASE. I took this product twice to lose weight. AVOID it. Not only do the old formulas AND the new formulas contain stuff that you don't want to put in your body, this caused kidney pain for me. Seriously, it can literally give you hepatitis among other things. Eeek. Scream. Run away. There are far better thermogenics on the market.

Contains Dimethlamylamine (DMAA), which has been deemed to be BAD for a lot of reasons. It is considered a banned substance as of the 2010, and the military also banned it. Also may cause seizures, mental disorders, cardiac arrest, death, etc. Wait...go back a sec...DEATH? Awesome. Other than that, the ingredient list looks ok. It's a buncha random "plant" ingredients that I've never heard of. Guess what? Newer versions also contain traces of PROZAC. Freaking Prozac. Whoops. Here's what the FDA had to say about it though: "As soon as we suspected a possible link between OxyElite Pro products and cases of liver failure and non-viral hepatitis in Hawaii, we warned the public and immediately launched an investigation with state officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)." So it really doesn't matter what's in this stuff. You should prolly avoid it. Here is what the Class action lawsuit states: "For years, USPLabs sold OxyElite Pro with a stimulant called DMAA, which has been linked to cardiac arrests and death. After OxyElite Pro was re-formulated, more unapproved ingredients were linked to a deadly epidemic of liver failure in Hawaii. In February 2015, the FDA found Prozac (fluoxetine) in OxyElite Pro. Our class action lawyers are evaluating cases on behalf of anyone who purchased this product." Ok, I think that's enough on that.

N/A
No taste, no mixability, and the dosing is effective to cause your liver to fail.

Ok, where'd that 6 come from under effectiveness? Well, to be fair, I actually had a lot of energy and lost weight while on this product. My first bottle, I had no issues. On my second bottle of it (not back to back), I had to stop taking it because my Kidneys started hurting extremely badly. Once I stopped taking this, they stopped hurting. SCIENCE! I was taking nothing else out of the ordinary at the time (protein, pre-workout.) So yeah, helps you lose weight...and a kidney. There are much better thermogenics out there that are also effective without the side-effects.

Not a terrible price to kill a kidney on. Normally it's much more expensive to cause kidney or liver failure. I mean think of the cost of all the alcohol you'd have to drink to make your liver fail. It would also take years of alcohol abuse, OxyElite saves you time AND money when destroying a liver. That's what I call value.

Side Effects

See the ingredients section...or the effectiveness section. Liver failure, kidney pain, death...seriously...Death? No thanks.

Conclusion

Avoid this product. Off the top of my head, better thermogenics include Jim Stoppani's new JYM Shred, Muscle Pharm's Shred Matrix, hell, even Hydroxycut is better. Avoid this freaking product unless you actually WANT to die...in which case, please seek help. Death by this product would be a terrible way to go. Don't do it man. Just don't.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Weight Loss
  • Joint Pain

I have been told to stop putting my canned intro statement in this location. It offends the powers that be. So uh...there you go.

Alright, so it's a pretty uneventful night. That means I'm writing reviews for lack of anything better to do while at work. That means you get my review of ERASE, which I did not enjoy because, despite doing what it was supposed to, also caused excruciating joint pain. I have pretty bad joints thanks to 15 years of martial arts, so I didn't really need extra help with that. Joint pain is a typical reaction to Estrogen blockers, so keep that in mind. All of them can cause joint pain. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I am currently taking OstaShred which stacks Ostarine with Arimastane, an AI. It seems to be doing the same thing, but with less joint pain.

Only one ingredient that matters. 3-deoxy-7-oxo-DHEA, a metabolite of DHEA. This is classified as a steroid that may: accelerate weight loss, increase metabolism, enhance memory, or prevent age-related changes. Alright, that's swell. You can also pick up ERASE PRO, which is pretty similar. Ok, boring ingredients list. 3-deoxy-7-oxo-DHEA is pretty cool stuff though.

N/A
Tastes gel capsuley. Mixes great in my stomach with water. The dosing on this is effective as far as I can tell, though the proprietary blend kind of ruins my ability to make that assessment. So let's go with good.

This product legitimately works. I saw a decrease in body fat and the advertised "dryness." That dryness also led to joint pain, despite taking joint health supplements. So...you say potato, I say tomato.

Expensive. Legitimately expensive. $45 for 30 pills. That's...high. Osta Shred is around $60 for 2 months and includes Ostrarine AND Arimastane. That's a MUCH better value. There are cheaper AIs out there, though ERASE is considered one of the best.

Side Effects

So we have a product here that deserves a 6 or 7 probably. I can't give it that because the joint pain that this product gave me literally made it impossible for me to work out. My elbows couldn't bend without excruciating pain. Now, I may be a bit of an outlier having pretty messed up joints, but still. I shouldn't have a product that makes me completely unable to workout. I was even taking joint support (Glucosamine Sulfate, Methylsufonlylmethane). The joint pain went away after I stopped taking ERASE. Ostashred has not had this effect on me, despite containing an AI. So yeah, it completely invalidated its value to me by making me unable to work out. Fail.

Conclusion

All these reviews are nothing more than my opinion. As such, you have to understand that my experiences with ERASE were less than stellar, but you may have completely different results. Despite being an effective estrogen blocker, the joint pain made it useless to me. Try something different, or try ERASE. I don't really care either way, but I won't buy it again.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Its A Multivitamin
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Good Nutrients
  • High Quality
  • Hulk Pee

I'll be honest, I kind of hate reviewing a multi-vitamin because it's one of those products that you know you need to take, but that you can't really tell its working. This is probably my 3rd bottle of Multi-men (that's what I call it...'cause hilarious.) Other multi-vitamins I have taken worth mentioning: Orange Triad (pretty great multi), Animal Pak (pricey, but complete), Arnold Multi (lame). This multi has some great profiles built into the ingredients. I just wish it had joint support (the one thing Arnold had that wasn't stupid.) Anyways, read on if you want more info.

It has WELL above my daily value of...damn near everything. I mean taking 3 of there 'errday covers everything I need. Just a heads up, the label states "consume 3 tablets daily with food." I recommend taking one at each meal to prevent oversaturation. AKA, you won't pee green (HOHOHO, Green Giant (sorry, ADHD.)) It does not have added iron, a big plus considering how bad extra iron is for men. Also, seeing selenium as an ingredient is always nice. I also has 1g of Essential Amino Acids, which I don't really care about because I get far more than that from other sources, but still, it's nice to have them. It does have a bunch of ingredients under the Phyto Men Blend that sounds very healthy - green tea, and a bunch of fruits and veggies - can't hurt, though 100mg seems pretty low. This does have a pretty nice 50mg Viri Men Blend with classics like Saw Palmetto Extract, Ginseng, Ginko Biloba, etc. Once again, 50mg seems a bit low on this, but may have some positive effect. The enzyme blend likely helps with digestion and it's nice to see ALA, PABA, Lycopene and Alpha Carotene on the label. So overall, pretty solid. A little lower than I'd actually supplement with some of those ingredients, but decent. I wish there was a joint support in here.

Tastes...like you should drink water quickly after putting it on your tongue. Mixes great in my stomach with some agua. The dosing is good, kind of a pain to take 3 times daily, but not too inconvenient in my current location. Yeah, this isn't a protein powder, that's all I have to say about that (life is like a box of chocolates.)

Like I said in the intro, it's a multi. It doesn't make me feel energized, or smarter, or stronger, or anything. All I know is that if I don't take a multi...I could run into vitamin deficiencies that would set my training back. So there ya go, it's as effective as any multi and does not make outrageous claims (see my Arnold review.)

This is really where this product shines. I don't think it's as good as Animal pak or Orange Triad (more complete multis), but damn if it isn't cheaper. I paid around $30 for 2 months. That's pretty hard to beat short of buying Centrum Men's Daily, which is garbage. So yeah, great value considering Arnold is like $30-40 for 1 month.

Side Effects

Uh...none? Green pee? Does that count as a side effect? I'm Ron Burgandy?

Conclusion

One of my favorite multi-vitamins because it has the stuff I need and it's cheap. Also, it's not 10 pills to swallow every day. If it had joint support,or Essential Fatty Acids, or fish oil, I'd give it a solid 9+. Of course that'd raise the price, so ehhh. If you want a better multi, get Orange Triad or Animal Pak. There's nothing else though at this level of quality AND price. So there you go, go grab a bottle.

March 5, 2015

Cons:

Canned Intro Statement (So that you know I'm Legit...HA, HAHAHA): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

Well, this used to be my favorite protein, so it's time to review it so that I can move on to my new favorite. Similar proteins I have tried: Cellucor (current favorite), ON Whey (cheapest option), Combat Powder (meh), ISOPURE (good stuff, pricey), Dymatize Elite (ugh), and a bunch of other ones not worth mentioning (looking at you Syntha 6.) This is one of the best tasting protein powders I've ever had, but its nutrition profile and price prevent it from being the best. Oh, and there is some new version called Quad delivery matrix or something that has a better looking ingredient profile.

Soo...I'm not a huge fan of anything that starts with Whey concentrate because it has such a huge variety in quality level. TSN Whey has a higher level of concentrate that isolate, so that sucks. On the other hand it is low in sugar with 25g of protein per 150 calorie scoop. So, that's pretty solid overall. It also contains AstraGin which is supposed to help with digestion, and as far as I can tell, it works great, no gas or bloating from the powder. It does contain Silicon Dioxide...which is pretty gross and not something I really want to be consuming. So while its pretty good, it's definitely not as good as Cellucor or ON.

One of the most important things for my protein powder to have. Why should I drink a shake that tastes like hot garbage when I can drink one that tastes like freaking Chocolate Ice Cream? This is where this product really shines because it mixes well, has a solid dosing of protein per scoop and tastes just like chocolate ice cream. Add some milk and enjoy one of the best tasting proteins around. I haven't tried the new Quad Whey version, but it also has a chocolate ice cream flavor, so I assume it tastes pretty similar.

The lack of Whey isolate as the first ingredient kills it for me. I want the best quality protein to be the first ingredient in a protein shake. Don't you? Yeah, it's cheaper to have concentrate first, but is it worth it? Other than that...it's whey protein, it does what it's supposed to - be quickly available for muscle regeneration after a workout.

I'm not sure how good the value is on this anymore, as I believe they are discontinuing it to push the Quad delivery matrix version, but I used to be able to pick up 5 lbs for $45 from AllStarHealth.com. That's about as good as you can get for something that tastes this good.

Side Effects

None. No gas, bloating, etc. Possibly due to the AstraGin, possibly not. Not a Doctor.

Conclusion

If you can still find this, grab some. I think Amazon still carries it. If you can't find it, give the new version a shot, it's looking pretty promising and is only $55 for 5 lbs. Great taste, decent ingredients and a low price make this one of my favorites. If only Isolate was the first ingredient.

March 5, 2015

• Not Enough Aminos
    • Proprietary Blends

Canned Intro Statement (Hmm...what to put in the parenthesis?): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

Oh, Elite Gourmet Protein. How I wanted to like you. Your ingredient profile is fascinating and you're pretty cheap. But you just don't compare to Cellucor, or even ON Whey. Cellucor tastes better and the first ingredient is Whey protein Isolate. Optimum Nutrition tastes about the same, but is far cheaper. ISOPURE is more...pure. So what's your purpose in life? I don't know, but I do know I won't buy this protein again.

Eh. There's a lot going on here on this label. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Whey concentrate as the first ingredient annoys me. Milk protein isolate as the first ingredient of the Milk Protein Blend makes me happy. The addition of Casein is nice, though not particularly something I need in a WHEY product. Whey protein has one job, and that's to flood my muscles with quickly available protein. Whey isolate is the best way to do that. I don't really need the casein and the maize and the fiber. Who drinks protein for its fiber content? WTF? On top of that, each 130 scoop only has 21g of protein, get rid of the extra random carbs and put more protein in. That's what people want from their protein shakes...PROTEIN. Stop blending random crap to make your product cheaper, if people want blended crap, they'll buy a product that does a GOOD job of it, not a mediocre job.

The taste is not horrible. That being said, it's not great. It reminds me of the watered-down flavor of ON Whey, even if I add milk. Cellucor somehow makes their shakes taste like Awesome, and Happiness. Dymatize Elite is just...mediocre. Also, the mixability of it is freaking garbage. I don't want weird chunks in my protein when I'm drinking it. This protein mixes like cement, filled with rocks. Cellucor makes a nice clean shake, and even with marshmallow chunks in it manages to be less chunky that Dymatize. Dosing is weak, it'd take 2 scoops to get any actual benefit from this. one scoop gets you 21g of 4 different types of protein, some which absorb fast, some which absorb slow. Then you get 9 grams of carbs, useless in that dosage, and fiber...why fiber!?

I feel like I've kinda covered under the ingredients section. Sorry about the rant. I want protein isolate from my protein shake. How does 9g of carbs help me after a workout? More protein, less additional garbage. I'd have to take two scoops to get anything of value out of this protein.

It's pretty cheap. Yay...but having to take two scoops of this to get anything of value out of it decreases its value to me. That's all I have to say about that.

Side Effects

I'm tired of typing. I noticed more gas than usual after taking a protein shake. I assume I can blame the "fiber" content of the protein. Fiber...

Conclusion

This product falls directly into mediocrity for me. I will never buy it again. It doesn't taste good. It doesn't mix well. It doesn't have a great profile. There are just better protein powders out there. There are also better Casein proteins out there. There are way better fiber sources and carb sources (take a look at Aftershock.) Or...y'know, eat some gummy bears if you want carbs after your workout. So in the end, this protein powder just can't cut it. Go get some Cellucor or ON Whey. They're just better.

March 1, 2015

Cons:

Canned Intro Statement (Feel free to skip this): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

I am utterly amazed that there are no reviews of Rip Its on here yet as this is the Military go-to energy drink. Hell, we get these things by the case. I like them because their ingredient profile is not scary, and they are SUPER cheap. Also, they don't make me feel dehydrated like Monsters do and don't taste like Red Bull.

Well, as a plus, I can pronounce almost everything on the ingredients list. I consider that to be a great starting point for any supplement, especially an energy drink. The sugar-free Rip Its are pretty amazing, containing pretty much nothing besides Sucralose (No Aspartame!) and water. Of course, each one contains a solid amount of caffeine, Taurine, Inositol, and Guarana Seed Extract, in addition to Vitamin C, B6, and B12. So pretty much what you would expect from an energy drink.

Taste. The one thing you really want from an energy drink besides...energy. I consider Monster to have some of the best tasting drink and on the other end of the scale, Sugar-Free Red Bull tastes pretty gross. Rip Its have some really good flavors. I'm a huge fan of the Citrus X flavor, but the other flavors are all consistently good as well (Lime, Grape, etc.) Not quite Monster level of taste, but still damn good for a sugar-free drink, nowhere near the swill that Sugar-free Red Bull is.

Like I said, it has caffeine and vitamin B6/12. That's it, there's really no secret to energy beyond those ingredients. So yeah, it's effective and does not make me feel dehydrated like the Monster Absolute Zero does. I consider that to be a huge perk. It will wear of after a couple of hours as expected.

Here we go, the best thing about Rip Its. While we get them for free during deployments, they are a well priced $1 or less at any commissary in the world. Compared to $2.50 for a monster, it's really hard to beat that price. So yeah, they deserve a 10 for value.

Side Effects

None. Monsters make me feel Dehydrated, Rip Its do not. Logically speaking, you will still crash a bit after the caffeine and vitamin B wears off, but that's expected from all energy drinks. These are far less likely to make you jittery or have heart palpitations, so YAY! Don't drink before a run...you're not that stupid. Right?

Conclusion

An all around good tasting and cheap alternative to Monsters or Red Bulls. Also, they're the same size as a Monster, unlike Red Bull's ridiculously pricey tiny can. I used to live off these things on a deployment before I found AMPitropin. So...go get some, or have a buddy in the military grab you some. I'm out.

March 1, 2015

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Energy-lots Of Energy
      • May Cause Neurological Side Effects

Canned Intro Statement (I shall continue to post this until I get bored with it, you can continue to not read it): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

This is legitimately one of the best products I have ever used. I don't say that lightly as I rarely consider any product to be above 8ish. I started taking this because I can't drink coffee or soda due to the acid content. This provides an amazing level of energy in just one pill (It's a red pill...choose the red pill Neo.) If you're on the fence about picking this up, just buy it and see the color 9 (it's purple, and it tastes like grape.)

AMPitropin contains only 3 ingredients, AMP citrate, Pikatropin, and caffeine. Fun fact, these same ingredients show up in LGIs Fully Loaded AMPlified Edition - the winner of February's supplement of the month. It also shows up in Mr. Hyde. Hmm, weird. Pikatropin (aka Pikamilon) is a cognitive enhancer formed by combining Niacin and GABA, it increases the flow of blood to the brain. Basically, it's a NO supp for your brain. In Russia it is a prescription medication. Win. AMP citrate is a close cousin to DMAA known as DMBA. So yeah...it's a stimulant and there are some concerns that it will get banned like DMAA for causing some pretty nasty side-effects in people like seizures and neurological disorders. Well, for the meantime, enjoy the effects, 'cause it works. Caffeine is caffeine, it's probably only in here as a short-term booster or catalyst to get the other ingredients into your bloodstream faster.

Right. It's a pill, so the taste and mixability is completely nonexistent. As far as the dosing goes, no real studies have been done to determine effective amounts of AMP citrate or Pikachu, I mean Pikatropin (I mean Pikachu.) As far as my experience with this product, I can't imagine a world where I would need to take two of these, let alone three. I am pretty sure my heart would stop at 3, which the bottle says not to exceed in 24 hours. So anyways, start with 1 and get your 60 servings out of it.

I take one of these after my workout with my protein shake. I work out first thing in the morning and crash pretty hard after my pre-workout wears off if I don't take something. Taking one of these bad boys replaces all of my coffee and energy drink needs for the next 12-14 hours. Seriously. It's pretty amazing. The first day I took it I also started to read 3-times the speed that I normally do, and I'm a fast reader to begin with. It was pretty crazy. I'm not sure my ability to focus has increased at all, but I have pretty bad ADHD that I don't take medication for, so it's hard to tell. I did write an entire 15 page paper in about 5-6 hours, so it may have helped. May also help with cognitive thinking as advertised, really hard to test that out though. Overall, one of the most effective products I've ever used...until it gets banned...

Cheap. I think I found it on DPS for $20 a bottle. 60 servings means that this is far cheaper than coffee or an energy drink. I uh...don't have anything else to add to that.

Side Effects

I never felt jittery or shaky, but damn if I don't occasionally feel like the adrenaline is pumping a little too hard. Expect to feel like the squirrel from Over the Hedge when he takes caffeine. If you don't handle stims well, you should probably avoid this product.

Conclusion

This is still the best supplement I have ever used. It is unfortunate that it make have some long-term side effects because I would like to take this daily for the rest of my life. Also, it may lead to carpal tunnel because I type faster on this than normal. My fingers hurt. Get some if you want a good amount of energy with no crash or immediate side-effects. It's pretty awesome.

February 23, 2015

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Ingredients
      • High Fiber
      • High Protein
      • Low Fats
      • Low Total Carbs

Canned Intro Statement: MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

Ok, so I was pretty excited to try these out since they are often compared to Quest bars. I picked up the ANSI chocolate chip cookie dough to compare against my favorite Quest chocolate chip cookie dough. Long story short: great product, Quest bars are still my favorite for taste. For details, see the rest of the review.

Ok, the ingredient profile is what makes both Quest bars and the Gourmet Cheesecake bars the best as what they do. Both bars have 20g of whey and milk protein ISOLATE, not concentrate, which is amazing. The ANSI is Non-GMO, hormone-free protein (cool, but not on the top of my priority list.) Also, both products rock a solid 17g of fiber, Tapioca for the ANSI and plant prebiotic plant fibers for Quest. Personally, I will take tapioca over Quest's unpronounceable plant fiber any day ( I didn't even want to try typing it out...) The ANSI bar has 7g of sugar, a perfectly reasonable amount. Also, its all natural sugar...from HONEY and monk fruit (Sweet! Literally, it's sweet.) Quest relies upon sucralose to make their bars taste good (Which occasionally gives them a weird taste.) So, if you're looking for the lowest carb option possible, go Quest, if you want all natural, go ANSI. Both products contain almonds and are Gluten-free.

Well, this is where this product loses out to the Quest chocolate chip cookie dough as Quest has large chocolate chunks that are pretty amazing. ANSI has small chocolate chips throughout a relatively thick and solid bar. Warming up a Quest bar makes for an almost mind-blowing protein bar where everything is soft and delicious like a real cookie. The ANSI bar does not change when warmed up, it is still dense, the chocolate chips melt and that's about it. There are not enough chocolate chips to make the bar taste really good even with the natural sugars. The portion of the bar that is cookie dough flavored is uninspiring and does not remind me at all of cheesecake, it is also dense and chewey. As a plus, the bar is less gritty than the Quest bar and the consistency is better in the ANSI bar whereas Quest will have a really tasty chocolate chunk section and then nothing good the rest of the bar. Overall, it's pretty good, but does not surpass the Quest bar.

It's a protein bar. It is filling and filled with awesome fiber and awesome protein isolate. It's hard to do much better than this as far as protein bars go. If only it tasted as good as the Quest bar...

On par with Quest. Still expensive, but at the same time isolate protein is NOT cheap. Just look at ISOPURE. So you really get what you pay for on this one as opposed to a candy bar with low-quality concentrate protein added.

Side Effects

None, no bloating or internal problems as expected with something of this quality.

Conclusion

Well, there you have it. The ANSI Gourmet Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bar is one of the highest quality protein bars I have ever seen. It only loses out to Quest on the taste profile. While good, the body of the bar is uninspiring and the chocolate chips don't have enough of a presence to make up for it. I have not tried the other flavors of this bar so I cannot compare them to similar Quest flavors.
        Side-note: I hear good things about the peanut butter version of this bar, and it wouldn't be hard to beat Quest on that one as their peanut butter bar is awful.

February 23, 2015

Cons:

I waltzed into my local nutrition center looking for some protein powder and a multivitamin to support my workouts and came across Arnold's relatively new line of supplements. I figured I might as well try out the multi-vitamin packs that were reminiscent of Animal Pak. The following review is my impression of the product, nothing more. Other multivitamins I have used include ON Opti-Men (or as I call it Multi-Men, also my current multi), Orange Triad, and Animal Pak.

Well, the ingredient profile is good as far as I can tell. It doesn't have any of the bad stuff that you would see in a multivitamin from a few years ago like Iron. Also, it breaks each pill down into a different purpose for those of us without a Doctorate in chemistry. It has your typical vitamins and minerals in addition to assisting in digestion and nutrient absorption. The pack contains DAA (in unknown quantities), BCAAs and beta alanine (also unknown quantities.) It also contains fish oil to get your daily fishiness on (the ladies love that.) It also contains a joint support complex which is spiffy, but seemed ineffective. It also contained liver tabs which were absolutely horrible, but more on that later. Lastly, it contains a cognitive support pill. All of these things come together into one hell of a pack of pills to take (10 in total, leave your gag reflex at the door...)

Well, this section doesn't really play a huge part in the score of a multivitamin, but I would like to note that the "alpha performance blend" in each pack had leaked and made it difficult to get them out of the bag and also added a horrific bitter taste to the capsules. The liver tabs are massive and uncoated, so swallowing them is less than pleasant, plus they taste like you'd imagine. Everything else went down smoothly and without additional fanfare.

When you shell out $30 for a multivitamin that makes a LOT of claims (look at the box), you expect something more than...absolutely no effect at all. While I am sure that this multi got me my daily ratios of vitamins and minerals, it failed to accomplish any of its other claims. The "Alpha Blend" does not list the amount of each ingredient, but based upon a lack of effects, I can assume that most of those pills was either lost when they leaked, or contained a very small amount of the advertised ingredients. The fish oil probably did its fish oil thing, no way to tell if it was helpful or not, there were no "fish burps" as advertised. The joint armor was not effective, but in their defense I have horrible joints from years of martial arts, so maybe my joints are just screwed. The liver tabs...OH BOY, here is the claim from the box: "Benefits include fat metabolism, energy and stamina increases, repair of damaged tissue, reduction in sugar cravings and liver protection. Desiccated liver helps increase red blood cell count and stimulate appetite and taking liver tablets will naturally increase nitrogen retention. Within weeks, many notice greater strength and endurance. With longer use, you will notice an increase of lean body mass as well. Expect great gains, faster recovery, greater muscle pumps and better overall health." Hahaha, that's a good one...apparently after all this time the only thing people needed to take to be jacked, strong, and less likely to eat sugar was liver tabs. Of course, those claims have not been evaluated by the FDA, but hey, Arnold's face is on the packaging so it must be true. If anything, my sugar cravings went up while taking this product. Lastly, the cognitive support--nothing, no change in brain function or mental clarity (Ampitropin is more effective with one pill than all 30 of these were.) So there you have it...not impressed, no idea how this has a 9.6 on BB.com.

Expensive. I can get a 30-day supply of ON Opti-men for half the price of this and far less of the BS. Heck Orange Triad is cheaper and Animal Pak is cheaper and doesn't make silly claims about liver.

Side Effects

None. Also, no positive effects. Really...no effects at all.

Conclusion

Multivitamins are tricky. How many of us can state with certainty that our multivitamins are doing anything other than getting pissed out each day? That being said, you can find a far cheaper multivitamin that has all of the ingredients that you need to support your lifting hobbies. ON Opti-men has almost all of the same ingredients in an easy 3-pills a day form that is easy to swallow and doesn't taste like bitter beer face. ON also doesn't make wild claims about their product that don't live up to the hype. So go get some ON, some Orange Triad, or some Animal Pak if you really like the pack thing.