Wis3guy

• Member has been active for 4 years, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by Wis3guy

July 1, 2018

Another protein bar into the market. Marketed by celebrity Donnie Wahlburg. It reminds me of laffy taffy, just thicker. Decent profile, just a little off in the texture department.

I am a 46 year old dad who is trying to get fitter and stay that way. I try to do some sort of exercise everyday. Currently lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio on 5 to 7 days a week. Once again I was out shopping in my local Hy-Vee store as my daughter needed cupcakes. I found the supplement aisle and found the Wahlburg boys must of gotten a deal with Hy-Vee as they have a whole section. I decided to grab some stuff and protein bars are always a good thing when you are as busy as I am. So I picked up a few of the other flavors they had plus 12 of the Chocolate Brownie Blast. I normally use quest bars, so let's see how these ones compare.

Chocolate Brownie Blast

Total Carbohydrate @ 27g
Dietary Fiber: 18g
Sugars: 1g

Protein @ 20g
Protein blend (Whey protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Whey Protein Crisps (whey Protein Concentrate, Rice Flour)

Ok, a couple of interesting things. 1st is that the first ingredient is Soluble fiber (from Tapioca Starch). This is a little weird except that there is 18g of fiber in here and 20g of protein. The answer is simple that the second and fourth ingredients are protein so I assume adding them up gives us the 20g of protein. These guys also decided to add 2g of BCAA's, 1g of Glutamine, 1billion CFU Bacillus Coagulans and 1g scFOS Prebiotic. I would probably drop the BCAA's and the L-glutamine as for me the added amount is negligible and in my opinion aren't going to help. The pre-biotics they added are kind of a novel idea and since I don't take one might be helpful. I know I had no digestion issues with these bars. Finally it is also Gluten Free for those of you who need that type of thing. All in all I think it is a well thought out bar. The extra ingredients have to add to the value as long as they work. I forgot, I also like the low sugar content, as I always seem to be watching my weight.

Here is my problem, I didn't find the taste enjoyable. They are eatable but not my favorite bar. RCSS protein bars are awesome, but the don't fill me up as much. Quest bars perform as well as these and I prefer their taste. I found these to have a laffy taffy texture with an odd chemical aftertaste? I found some to be too chewy, however some where ok. I also put them in the microwave for 10 seconds which softened them up nicely for me. Probably could of gone 15 seconds, so that is something to consider.

As for mix-ability and dosing, it is pretty simple. There is no mixing required, just open and eat. Dosing is also pretty simple. For me I used them primarily as a "hold me over" snack. They are added fiber and protein, you can take them whenever. I like protein bars because they are easily transportable and sometimes I want something to eat instead of just drinking a shake.

I have to admit this bar does what I want it to do. I use protein bars to keep me happy until my next meal. Which is why I generally have them either mid morning or mid afternoon. Occasionally at other times for a treat. With the amount of fiber in here it kept me full. I didnt have any digestion or bloating issues which you can sometimes get with high fiber bars. This sat in my stomach just fine, even when I had to exercise after eating one.

Looking online I found the following prices.

Amazon.com has them for $34.67 for a box of 12

Performance Nutrition has them on sale for $29.99.

Now I bought them at my local Hy-Vee store for $2.89 a bar. They don't carry the box quantities at the grocery store. The best deal is their website which equates to $2.49 a bar which is reasonable. It is however more expensive than my go to Quest bar ($1.92 a bar at my grocery store, as they sell box quantities). So value wise they take a hit for me. That being said if I found them on sale I would probably still consider buying them as I am cheap at heart.

Side Effects

Nothing of great importance here. Only complaint would be weird chemical aftertaste.

Conclusion

Final thoughts on this protein bar. I personally won't buy them again.... Unless they are on sale for less than my Quest Bars. From a strictly taste standpoint I like also prefer Quest bars. I do feel that they both perform well, so I might as well take the one that is cheaper and to me tastes better. I do think that the added MCT's and pre-biotics make this bar a player in the game. I'm just getting more in to taste as I age. If I found these on sale for less than my Quest bar price I honestly would probably buy them. They are not terrible tasting, I just like my Quest Birthday Cake way better. If you asked me in the gym I would tell you to try these, as everybody has different tastes. (some of you dislike quest bars for instance). In the broad spectrum of things this is a well put together bar, it is just not my shaker bottle of protein..........

Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
  June 29, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Ingredients
  • TRAACS Electrolytes And Minerals
  • Increased Hydration

Simple 100% whey Isolate with some electrolytes and enzymes. Tastes great and is easy to use.

Back again, I am 46 years young (today anyway), and have been using supplements for ever. Therefore I am positive that I can try out a newer Protein. I am currently not at 100% but fixing a messed up back and thought this would be fun to add to my diet. I basically am in a maintenance mode with some cheating. This helped me get a little better treat than an actual treat. I am also in summer mode which means I am running all over with my kids for various activities. Thanks to VMI and the SRTrooper program for allowing me to try this new protein.

Calories @ 105

Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate @ 300mg
    Potassium Glycinate Complex @ 183mg
    Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate @ 8mg

Ingredients:
    non GMO cold processed Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose and Enzyme blend.

This is a pretty good shot at a protein powder. There are not a lot of ingredients and protein is the number 1 ingredient. The added enzymes are an interesting choice. I kind of like it as I realize that if you don't absorb it it doesn't do you any good. Also the added electrolytes help restore our "normal" state after exercise. All in all I am happy with the profile of this product.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I received the Chocolate Fudge Cookie, and I really enjoyed it. It was a nice smooth treat to have when I wanted to get that sweet tooth taken care of.

This product mixed really well. I do use a shaker bottle with the metal whisk and I shake then drink.

I used between 4 and 12 ounces of water and other than the strength of flavor it worked well for all of them. They suggest 8oz of beverage to one scoop. I probably used 10oz of water the most and for me it was enjoyable. I do not like thick shakes so I tend to use more water than most people do. They suggest taking 1 scoop within 30 minutes of workout and then anytime during they day as you need it. I found like most protein powders they are pretty easy to dose. I tend to use it as an extra and so it was pretty easy.

This was effective for me in 2 ways. One way I used this was as a snack and extra protein in my smoothies. This kept me satisfied until my next meal, and sometimes kept me on a healthier path for snacks. When I used this post workout it seemed to help me recover

As of 6/29/2018 I found the following prices.

Company website has it for $49.99 for a 2# container (25 servings), and $79.99 for a 5# container (70 servings).

Tiger fitness has the 2# for $39.99 for 2# container(25 servings).

This leads us to a cost per serving between $1.60 for the 2# container and $1.14 if you buy the big container. At the cheaper price I think it is a good value as my go to Machine whey is around 90 cents a serving. That being said this is a Isolate protein and Machine whey is a concentrate. Isolate is a more expensive product, and yet it is close in price. Machine all natural isolate is $1.37 a scoop, so like I say it is reasonable.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects from this product. It seemed to digest well and gave me no bloating or other issues.

Conclusion

In conclusion I would tell you to give this a shot. It tasted really good and was a high quality protein. I think that the price for this in the big container is very reasonable and shouldn't stop you from using it. I personally still think that supplements are to be used to augment your food intake no replace it. Therefore I don't use as much protein powder as I used to, however I can see where this will fit into my future supplement usage. VMI has really come out in my opinion, giving us good products at good price points. This one also just happens to taste really good as well. Once again thanks to VMI and the SRTrooper program for allowing me to find a new protein supplement to use.......

Overall
    Thanks to ProSupps for sending it out!
      June 28, 2018

Cons:

DNP X is a thermogenic product from Pro-supps. I picked this up as I had been off caffeine for a while and wanted to try something to aid is possible weight loss. I didn't change my eating or exercising during this run. Overall I would say this is an excellent pick me up although I think you would need to be more strict on your diet to drop pounds.

I am a 46 year old dad who lost 40 pounds last year in about 5 months. I hit a stall point this year and injured my lower back. I have been re-habbing but that also means the exercising isn't as intense as it was. I work out or do stuff about everyday. Intense workouts have dropped to more like 4. I thought I would give this a go to see if it would help get me back on track. Thanks to the SRTrooper program and Pro-Supps I was able to give it a run.

They did use prop blends in this product, which isn't terrible, but I would like to see the dosages. It is hard to figure out how to "improve" something if I am guessing at the amounts of stuff in here.

Calcium@ 27mg:
      Not sure why this is in here. So I would probably drop it, I get enough calcium in the day that I don't think this would benefit me.

Energy Matrix @ 425mg:
      Caffeine Anhydrous, Di-Caffeine Malate, Theacrine (as Teacrine)
      Well, going from 0 to 425 is an eye opening experience. The cool thing is that it didn't seem to lose its "Punch" at all as I kept using it. For some people this might be a little too much. Even though I was off Caffeine, I am a highly stim tolerant. This was smooth and had no crash for me, so I don't think I would change it at all.

Intensity Matrix @ 401mg:
      Alpha Lipoic Acid, Garcinia Cambogia fruit extract, Lyci Berry Fruit Extract, Polysaccharides, Natural Cocoa Bean Extract, Raspberry Ketone, Citrus Aurantium Extract, Green Coffee Bean extract, Dandelion Root Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Coleus Forskohli Root Extract.

So, the problem? Let's take the first ingredient Alpha Lipoic Acid. Dosing can be between 300 and 600 mg Daily per Examine.com, which means it probably isn't dosed anywhere near that.

Then the last ingredient, Coleus Forskohli Root extract. Which examine.com suggests dosing at 250mg 2x's per day.

So we know these are kind of sprinkled in dusting type of way. Which could be one of the reasons I didn't drop pounds. They could "Synergistically" work together, but I am not sold on that idea. Most of the ingredients in here are known to me. I just don't know that this is the way to go about putting them together.

Carnitine Matrix @ 400mg:
      Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL, L-Carnitine Fumerate, L-Carnitine Tartrate
      Once again a little under the suggested dosage, even when adding them together. I do respond well to Acetyl L-Carnitine, so I did like that it was listed first in the mix

Focus Matrix @ 1250mg:
      Taurine, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
      Dosing for Taurine is between 500 and 2000mg, and N-Acetyl L Tyrosine (NALT) is a more soluble form of L-Tyrosine which is dosed between 500 and 200mg before exercise. So this could be dosed pretty close to lower end ideas. I normally don't like a lot of Taurine, so for me this is a good mix.

Final thoughts are that they put a lot of different "buzzy" type of products in here and hoped it would work together. It worked as a great pick me up for me, but I don't know that it is the best Thermogenic on the table.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I received the Miami vice flavor of this drink. I thought it was enjoyable. Almost nostalgic to the days of Crocket and Tubs..... Anyway I had no issues drinking this first thing in the morning.

This mixed really well in a shaker cup with the metal whisk. I had no cling on the cup or settle to the bottom issue with this.

The dosing that they suggest 4 to 6oz of water. I used 4 to 10oz of water. It does effect the taste but some days I wanted more water in the morning. The 4oz was strong in my opinion so I normally used 8.

This is an interesting one. I did not lose any weight while I was taking this. I did notice that I wasn't hungry in the morning for a little while longer than "normal" which is good, but I'm not that big of a morning eater anyway. I almost wanted to try this at 1PM just to see how it would do, but maybe I'll do that on another tub. What this did do was get me up and moving. It was awesome!!!!! I would drink this first thing in the morning while checking my computer and would be raring to go before I finished it most days. (sometimes I drank too fast so it would take longer, about 15 minutes). I had no crashes as the day went on either. I just had more energy. It was pretty cool. I think that if I didn't have temptations in my house I would of dropped weight, so I am not going to grade this as ineffective, however I was hoping that eating the same as I had been I would of noticed something. I will say I liked it as a pre-workout........

As of 6/28/2018 I found this at the following places and prices.

Tiger fitness has it for $18.99 for 30 servings.

A1suppleents has it for $16.95 for 30 servings. Which is 57 cents a serving.

So what does this mean? For me, this is a great value just as a morning pick me up. I think that if I had tightened my regiment I would of seen some results from this, but just as an energy, feel good thing I am willing to purchase this.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects from taking this product. I did sweat a little more than normal when doing cardio activities. Nothing extreme, just noticed the sweat come faster.

Conclusion

I am still a little stumped on this one. I keep saying "this was a great pick me up". Which it was, but that is not what it is supposed to be is it? I did drop a pound and then gain a pound while eating my "off" diet maintenance food, (meaning I ate pretty healthy buy I had cheat foods). So I don't want to dismiss this product as a loss. It also is pretty darn cheap when I could use it as a pre workout and weight loss product all in one. I guess I will give it a yes you should try it, it just isn't as effective as I would of liked. I do think I will run this again once I am totally healed and can run it while on a strict diet and harder exercising. Once again I want to thank SRTroopers and Pro-Supps for allowing me to try this. It was a really good experience and it gave me more information on having a future product on my counter.

June 25, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
        • Hard To Chew

I am always looking for some fun and handy take with me "treats" I saw these in my local grocery store and decided to give them a go. If you enjoy rock taffy, they might be for you. I hoped that the unique ingredient of Quinoa would come out as a possible choice. Sadly it is not.

Today I am reviewing a product I found while shopping in my local grocery store protein bar run. Xyience has an in-named? 20 gram protein bar. What caught my eye was that it is made with Quinoa. So I figured what the heck let's get some of these bad boys and give them a try. I try and do workouts of some sort everyday. I am a 46 year old dad who seems to have way less time in the summer as the kids have activities and I am the transporter.......
        Yep, movie reference. I used this as a take along snack for the time spent watching them during their practices and games.

220 calories

16g Dietary Fiber
        1g Sugars
        8g Sugar Alcohol

20g Protein

So a couple things. The protein is a blend which isn't bad, Whey crisps (WPI, WPC, tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, Hydrolyzed milk protein concentrate, why protein hydrolysate). I am ok with this, I eat enough whole food that my supplements are just that supplements. I thought it was cool that it was Gluten Free (always looking for stuff for my dad). I even like the addition of Sustamine. However I do feel a little tricked by the whole "made with Quinoa" when Quinoa is the 3rd to last ingredient listed. Only Amaranth and Monk Fruit Extract are listed after the Quinoa. So why bother making it a marketing gimmick when you could just add more Quinoa? Yep, I fell for the front cover, but I bought them anyway, even after reading the ingredient profile.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

So here is the problem, this bar has layers. One is crunchy but soft, then for some silly reason they have a hard taffy like crud layer on top. I don't think the taste was terrible, but it was wrecked by the hard layer I had to chew through. I think it was just too drastic of a change, if they could soften up that layer I think it could end up being an enjoyable bar.

No mixing required, and dosing is pretty much whenever you feel like taking a snack. Which for me was normally in the 2 to 3PM time frame. You know your sitting at the tennis courts and you get hungry. Dinner isn't for a few hours, you need something to snack on.

Other than the problem of chewing through this bad boy, I thought it did the job pretty good. It would stave off any hunger pains I was having until I could get home and get some real food. It does have 16 grams of fiber so I had hoped that it would accomplish the mission. The reason I still like Quest bars is that they keep me full longer than other bars. I think this one would fit the bill better if it was easier to eat.

As of 6/25/2018 I found the following prices.

They have it listed at $24.99 for a box of 10, and 6 boxes of 12 for $120.00 which is $1.66 a bar.

Amazon has them for $27.99 for a box of 12. Which is $2.33 a bar.

I bought them for $2.59 a bar at my local Hy-Vee store.

I don't think the price is that bad, but I am cheap and prefer Quest bars which I get for 23 dollars for a box of 12. I understand I could shop and get deals, but reality is I tend to buy them at my grocery store. So for me price was a little higher than I like, but I have bought bars for 3 bucks so it will go in the middle.

Side Effects

I seriously had a sore jaw after chewing through these. Maybe I just bought some old bars (exp October 2018), but it was tough.

Conclusion

So this is a tough one. As you probably are going to question my ratings. Here is the answer. The price on these isn't rotten, not as good as my go to, but still not so expensive I would tell people not to buy it. (I won't buy them, but that is a texture issue not a price issue). So they get a solid 6.8 for value. For effectiveness they worked, they did what they where supposed to. I didn't enjoy eating them, but they did do their job, therefore they get a solid rating for effectiveness as a protein bar. Now normally my overall rating is a combination of the other two ratings, this time however I can't do that. Because I wouldn't recommend them to you. If you asked I would tell you they where too hard to eat. If you said you still wanted to try them, I would let you know that they do preform well, I'm just not buying a convenience item that isn't convenient. So we go with a 6, which to me in this case means. Yes it is an effective protein bar, but due to the hard time eating them I will buy something else......

Overall
        Thanks to Ultra Human for sending it out!
          June 19, 2018

Cons:

Amino Code is a "precision Bio-Engineered amino acid" complex of EAA + BCAA's with Coconut water and electrolytes to help you perform at "ultra Human" levels. Which as I age is always a welcome addition to my supplement regiment. I found that this product worked well for me and allowed me to perform better.

I am a 46 year old dad with teenagers, I am the main form of transportation and food for my family so I am always on the run. I have been slowly getting in better shape as I figure out my needed food intake and workout requirements. Currently am doing light body weight cardio and have pretty much finished "fixing" my back. I guess at least as good as it is going to get. I like taking BCAA's as a tasty drink that helps, and I used this mostly as an intra workout drink. I try and do something everyday even if it is only walking the dog. I want to thank the Trooper program and Ultra Human for allowing me to give this a run.

This is an interesting product as it is GMP Certified, Lab Tested, Exact Ratio with no Gluten, Dairy, Sugar, Artificial sweeteners or colors or flavors. Sounds like a good deal right? Now let us see what is under the hood.

Vitamin b6 @ 2mg
          Calcium @ 25mg
          Magnesium @ 25mg
          Potassium @ 40 mg
          Sodium @ 35mg

Then we have the prop blends, which I am not a fan of, however in this case the product worked and they do list what is in it.

Ultra Human Amino Acid Matrix: @ 4250mg
          l-leucine, l-lysine HCL, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Phenylalanine, Taurine, L-threonine, L-Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Methionine, Sustamine(L-Alanyl-L-Tryptophan, L-proline.

The problem is we don't know how much of the ingredients are in here. Most of you will say this is under dosed in the BCAA department. I can understand that as some people and research brings the dose up to 20g's. So obviously we don't have that much, but we do have other ingredients added. Sustamine being one of them, however that can be used in 1 to 3 grams per day. It is used to help in electrolyte absorption and endurance. I thought it was something neat that they added, just not sure of dosage. Below are 2 links one to BCAA's and one to Sustamine if you choose to read a little more.

Then we have the Ultra Electrolyte Mineral Blend: @ 2527mg's broken up into 2 sections.

Coconut water powder @ 2100mg. This is a good source of B vitamins and electrolytes. I couldn't really find a dosage set in stone, so because I think this kept me more hydrated I will say it was effective for me.

Potassium Glycinate Chelate, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Bisglycinate Chelate, Magnesium Aspartate, DiMagnesium Malate, Calcium Citrate Tetrahydrate
          @ 427 mg

Which as you can tell is a lot of minerals that can help keep your body performing ultimately. Now, because I am not an elite level athlete I don't really think I need a "lot" of product to work for me. I can see where if you where that person this might be under dosed enough that it either wouldn't work or would not be cost effective for you. However, for me I could tell it was working and there isn't anything in here that I object too.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I received the Dragon Berry flavor of this product and thought it was enjoyable. Dragon flavors for me have been a hit and miss over the years, but that could be because I am getting picky as I age. This had a mellow berry flavor with a small aftertaste that I can't place. For me it was a nice flavor I could sip on during my training.

I had no issues mixing this with my SRReviews shaker bottle. This does have a metal whisk and yes I do shake then drink every time. I think I had some settling but nothing a little shake didn't fix. Small amount of grit with the last few swallows, but I was ok with that.

Dosing is pretty simple. They suggest mixing with 10-12oz of water and consuming immediately post workout. Then for optimal results take a serving 15 to 20 minutes pre-workout or during workout. I tried all of the variables a few times and for me using during workouts seemed to give the best results.

I think this product worked pretty well for me. I felt more energized and less draggy when I was using it. It seemed to allow me to flow through my workouts at a faster pace. Since I have finished it I have noticed a slight increase in DOMS. I could still tell I worked a muscle while I was on this, just now I notice more soreness the next day. This is what I look for in a BCAA drink, and I think the added ingredients really help pull it together for me at least.

As of 6/19/2018 I found this product for the following prices.

Their own website, which has a free shipping special running. $39.95 for 40 a serving tub.

Amazon has it for $39.89 for a 40 serving tub.

This basically comes to $1.00 a serving. For me this is a pretty good price. I have used RCSS Amino Tone and if you buy the smaller jug it is basically the same price. RCCS has a 90 serving tub that drops the price a little but I think this is pretty reasonable.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects while taking this product. An overall pleasant experience.

Conclusion

Here is the deal on this one. I think that it is worth a try. I felt better while I was taking it. I became more sore as I went off of it. Is it a make or break supplement for me, probably not. To be honest though I don't know that I have a supplement I can't do without. I do think that if you have a hard time drinking plain water, and you are out pushing yourself in the gym or at home. This product can help you feel better about the after effects of exercise. I know that as I age I assume I will start feeling more aches and pains. If taking some extra BCAA's and other "Stuff" allows me to train like I want to, then I am ok with that. I like the fact that this doesn't have extra "artificial" stuff in it. I also appreciate the gluten free and no sugar (I have finally admitted that additional sugar messes with my body). It gives me something I can look forward to drinking while working out, and anything that helps the workout go easier and possibly longer is good in my books.

(SR paid for product; BPI Sports did not participate)
            June 14, 2018

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Helps Keep Muscle

This is 100% pure creatine. It is micronized and listed as Pharmaceutical Grade. I use creatine on and off and wanted to use this while trying to fix my back, and stay on track with my weight and strength. Overall it performed as expected.

Hello my fellow supplement users. Today is a review of one of the most researched supplements there is. Or at least that is what I have been told. Creatine Monohydrate. I am an avid user of supplements, and as I age I seem to be going more and more towards the simple. During this run I basically was doing various cardio exercises as I tweaked my back and wanted to heal. The idea was that this product would help keep my muscle as I am also sort of trying to cut some more weight. I try to do something everyday and therefore I used this product everyday as well. I did not use a loading phase as I personally haven't noticed a difference when I have and have not "loaded" my Creatine.

Above is my log, however I was somewhat inactive during parts of using this product.

I want to thank the Trooper program for allowing me to run this product. It is appreciated in many ways.

One very nice thing about single ingredient profiles..... They are single ingredient!!!!!

Creatine Monohydrate @ 5 Grams
          other ingredients: None!!!!

I actually like this dose as it seems to work well for me personally. Currently I am sitting between 200# and 205# at 5'10" tall. I know some people like more creatine per day and if you do, take another scoop. I do think they should of used Creapure as that is the name brand recognized good stuff. I don't think it is a deal breaker but when we get down to cost, name notoriety can help the cash go out.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I asked for and received the unflavored version of this. This product mixed pretty well in anything that I put it in. Being Micronized helps a lot in the mixing department in my opinion anyway.

As for dosing I found it pretty simple. I used one scoop in the morning every morning. They suggest taking it before, during or after workouts or as directed by a physician on workout days. Then in the morning on non-training days. I personally believe that creatine is a saturation supplement, which to me means that if you take it everyday it will help you. Pretty simple.

Creatine Monohydrate is one of the most studied and generally cheaper supplements that you can and should be taking. I found that this product worked just as well as any other Creatine Monohydrate product that I have used in the past. That is a statement of the purity of this product. I think their is value to taking Creatine everyday. Some people are non-responders and may need to try different versions, thankfully for me this stuff works. Below is some additional links to more reading on Creatine Monohydrate if your interested.

As for this run, I maintained my weight for the most part. So I do not believe I lost any muscle. Because I am doing bodyweight conditioning (Insanity, Asylum, P90X2, Martial Arts) I think this benefitted me by helping me recover faster and make things "easier" if that makes sense. At 46 years of age a lot of people are fighting a battle and going backwards. This product I think helped me at least stay the same.

As of 6/14/2018 they have this listed at $9.99 for a 60 serving tub. (5g per serving, 300g tub (they are running a 20% discount code BPISPORTS20)).
          If you apply the discount this is .13 cents a serving........

My go to comparison is Prosource house brand creatine (creapure) of 500g tub for $11.95. Which is 12 cents a serving, and yes they have a bigger container as well. (1000g for $17.50 which is 9 cents a serving) That is standard everyday price.

What does this mean? In my opinion and having used both it means BPI is over priced by a bit. Yes BPI's seemed to have worked the same, yes it is Pharmaceutical grade. However i can get name brand cheaper.

Side Effects

I had no negative effects from this supplement. No bloating that I could tell.

Conclusion

Final thoughts on this one. Yes I think this is an effective product. Yes I like the quality of this product. Nope I can't pay this much for something as basic as Creatine Monohydrate. Now if it happens to drop in price or they do some deals like other companies where they throw this in an order as a freebie then by all means go for it. If you happen to be really into running stacks of one brand at a time, then bite the bullet and buy it. However, I myself can't justify the price. It is possible that I am missing something, but until I figure it out I will go back to the cheaper quality options that are out there. I am giving this a Meh rating because, even though I think the price is too high. The product worked for me just as well as any Creatine Monohydrate that I have used. So it isn't bad, just priced higher than my go to creatine.

May 21, 2018

Pure and simple, a protein supplement to add to your arsenal. I used this to help fill out my daily wants (yep not just needs), while I was rehabbing and trying to maintain my weight.

Hello all, I am a 46 year old who likes to try things out. Due to having a bounty and Clipper asking if this would work I gave it a try. Everyone needs to have a little protein on the shelf right. My workouts where pretty scattered as I am trying to rehab a back, so that I can get back to it. I maintained my weight for the most part and still worked out at least 3 times per week while running this. I used it as an add in for my smoothies as well as some flavored drinks during the day when I wanted to. I didn't use this everyday so it lasted a long time. Still very nice to have on the counter for when I wanted a little treat.

So let us look under the hood of this GNC Pure Isolate powder. Here is a short breakdown of ingredients:

Serving size is 32 grams:

Protein = 25 grams
          Calcium = 100mg
          Sodium = 100mg
          Potassium = 160mg

So for me I like to look at how things add up. Here we have 78% protein per scoop which I think is good. If you add up the fats and carbs and protein you get 29.5 grams of stuff per 32 gram serving (yes I didn't add the mg stuff, it is ok for how I think). This basically gives you 2 grams of flavor and or filler, which again leads to a pretty clean profile. I think companies are finally realizing that we know how to use calculators and have cleaned up their acts. I still remember some off brand profiles that would be as low as 60% protein per scoop. (no I can't remember the brands as once I started looking at it I stopped buying them. Which for me has been years......)

This is what is seems to be, unless I am missing something. A very clean profiled Whey Isolate. I really liked this product and how it worked for me. The label is pretty clear as well, so I have to say that GNC did a good job on this one.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

I received the vanilla custard flavor and found it sweet and enjoyable. I honestly haven't bought a vanilla flavored protein in years so it was an interesting change up. I actually would buy this flavor as it was good as a stand alone and when I mixed it in with my smoothies or other drinks.

I found that this mixed really easy in a shaker bottle. I used between 6 and 14 ounces of water (they suggest 6 ounces) all of which worked great. Obviously the flavor changed a little depending on water. I ended up using 10 to 12 most of the time. This is a fine protein powder that seems pretty clean with how easy it blended.

They suggest 1 to 2 servings per day, however it is a supplement. Which means you can use it as you see fit. Even though I liked the taste I still didn't use it every day, but then again I am eating healthier so it's possible my body is full more often than not, making my cravings go down. Protein supplements to me are the easiest things to use as you basically use it as a filler. Those of you who need more, take more, those of us that don't, don't. Simple as that.

Protein supplementation for me is broken down like this. 1. Could I drink it without having issues? (bathroom runs, nasty smells, etc.) 2. Did it help fill in the gaps that I was looking for, (tasty snack, extra protein, tide me over till a meal, etc.) I found that I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I remember taking GNC protein a long time ago and it seemed to give me issues. So for the first comparison I thought this product was really good. I had no emergency runs to the bathroom, nor did my wife and family avoid being behind me throughout my run of this. For section 2 I say this also fit the bill. I found the Vanilla Custard just sweet enough to make it a good replacement for "bad" foods which is always good for me. This is a pretty lite protein powder so it doesn't fill you up like some other shakes, but that isn't its intention anyway. I found this did hold me for an hour or two. It also lasted longer when added to my smoothies, which lead to a longer time till my next meal. (about an extra hour or so). This supplies 25 grams of protein which for me is a good spot, as I can add more scoops if I want to but I can use just one and get my results on most days. I would actually place this in the same category as my two favorite protein powders, MTS Machine Whey and Prosource's NitroWhey.

As of 5/21/2018 GNC is running this for $29.99 for 1.95# container and $59.99 for a 5# container. They are also running free shipping on orders over $49.99. Which compared to other Isolate proteins is pretty cheap. I mean my Machinewhey is $54.99 for 5#'s and it is a concentrate. Nutrabio's isolate is $10.00 more for a 2# container. It really makes this pretty darn appealing. Also this is now Informed Choice certified which can be a factor for some athletes.

Side Effects

I had no negative issues with this product. No extra gas, no emergency bathroom runs, nothing, it was a great run......

Conclusion

I am giving this a thumbs up. I actually am impressed by this product. I honestly was a little hesitant on taking a GNC product. Yes, some of their stuff has been ok, however I haven't even looked at them in years due to pricing. Online, no membership, etc. just seemed to take them out of contention. This particular protein seems to be clean and very competitive in price. I think that if you are looking for a protein supplement you might just want to head over to GNC and give this stuff a try. If you are on a budget, then you will need to give this a try.

May 17, 2018

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Muscle Fullness

This is a stim free Pre-workout pump product. I choose to try on Clippers suggestion as I am Stim free at the moment. I think the product worked pretty good in its category. I am currently maintaining and doing cardio body weight exercises.

Hello all, I am a 46 year old supplement junkie, who seems to be on a hold pattern. At least since I torqued my back. Anyway, I had a bounty product and Clipper thought this would be a good thing to try. I was cycling off of Stimulants and figured blood flow might help not only heal myself, but also give me some boost in cardio. I always like to try something new and shiny and even though the label is black..... it does have some shiny silver for letters. So enough of this, let's get to the results.

The profiles of this is pretty short and doesn't have proprietary blends so I kind of liked that. I do think that their dosages are a bit lacking compared to something like Nutrabios Pre Stim free.

L-citrulline @ 4g's: This converts to arginine and therefore can boost nitric oxide levels. The dosage is a little low depending on what you are looking for. Examine.com suggests 6 to 8 grams an hour before physical activities to help performance. It also lists dosages of 1 gram 3 times per day. So it is on the low end and I would like it bumped to 6 grams.

Arginine Alpha-Ketogluturate @ 1 gram: Which once again is on the low side that I found. I found suggested dosages of 4 grams of AAKG. So to be complete they should up the dose. This is supposed to help with nutrient delivery and that pump baby.......

Arginine Nitrate @ 500mg: So this is a nitric oxide helper. It is supposed to help with blood flow. Dosages I found where 500mg to 2000mg. Plus I posted the link below as our own site has information on it that some people don't know how to look at......

Grape seed extract @ 150mg: This is supposed to help with blood flow and heart health. Dosages of up to 600mg have been studied with 150mg at the entry level and therefore acceptable to me.

Trans-Resveratol @ 30mg: This can be used to reduce blood pressure and yet improve blood flow. Dosages range from 5mg to 500mg. So for me this is kind of a take it or leave it. I am not sure at this low dose that it would do much, and since I don't plan on taking this everyday.... Yep you guessed it I would dump it.

I found that this had a light taste for blue raspberry. Sometimes this flavor can be pretty tart, Cellucor went the other way with a nice mellow flavor. Which was good for me as I work out in the morning and sometimes like to slide into my day. I used my SRReviews shaker bottle with a metal whisk for mixing. It really mixes pretty well. I did notice a fine residue on my bottle, but to be honest..... This is a shaker I use on a daily basis and it is probably getting scratched up pretty good. I used anywhere from 6 to 12 ounces of water and the only thing that effected was the strength of flavor.

The suggested dosing is 1 scoop in 8 to 10 ounces of water 20 to 30 minutes before working out. I will say that most of the time i was in this range. A few exceptions are. I used it occasionally during my weekend 3 hour classes. In which case I started drinking it when class started. I wanted to see if it would help my endurance levels. The other issue is family, sometimes I would make it and be ready to work out only to need to take care of stuff for the wife and kids, which led to a later workout. All in all a pretty simple to follow dosing instructions if you choose to.

In my opinion, pump products don't always show on heavier people. I am a heavier guy and so no, I didn't see any massive veins or anything. However what I do notice with good pump products is a muscle "fullness" and an increase in endurance. Therefore that is how I am rating this product. I found that when I was following their guidelines that the product worked pretty well. Most occasions I would get that muscle fullness that I wanted. When I took during my long classes I tended to keep my energy levels up higher. I didn't get any veins or painful pumps, but I did feel the product working. This did not work every time however. I excuse some of them due to my not getting to the workout for an hour or so, however their where occasions where it just didn't do much. To be fair, I don't know that I have used any product that always works the same every time you take it. So I think this product is pretty good to any other stim free product I have tried.

As of 5/17/2018 GNC has this for $39.99 with a buy 2 get 1 free

Lucky vitamin has the same $39.99 price tag with free shipping on orders over $25.00

This is a little high priced for me. I can get a good product with Stims for this price (Dymatize Pre WO) which I liked. However some other products do cost basically the same. I will say that I don't seem to be taking pre-workouts every workout so they last do longer. Which to my brain gives them more value as they are lasting more than a month. However this takes a hit as I can get Nutrabio's Pre stim free for the same price, and Nutra bio has 2 times the ingredients.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects. I did have some muscle "fullness" which means to me it was increasing blood flow.

Conclusion

I would like to thank Clipper for letting me give this a run. It was interesting to see how my body is reacting to different types of products as I age. I think that if you are looking for a product while on a stimulant break that this would be ok, however I would probably steer you towards Nutrabio as they have a product at the same price and 2x's the ingredients. I do think that it is a little spendy but I am becoming a cranky old guy so please take that into account. It just is on the high end of what I would like to spend for a months supply of my Pre-workout. I think that I did notice it working on most days, so final verdict is meh, I wouldn't tell you it is bad, I would just tell you I have had better.

Overall
          Thanks to Flex Nutrition for sending it out!
            May 15, 2018

• Fishy Burps

Simple fish oil to possibly help numerous conditions. Joint mobility is what I was looking for and a believe it is helping me recover faster. Training and maintaining is my current goal with body weight cardio being my options, as well as starting P90x2.

It is review time again. During the run of this product I was doing P90x2 stage one and then started on stage 2. I am trying to re-hab my back which decided to go out, most likely due to Insanity month 2. I am 46 years old and am trying to be the best that I can. I can always improve and realize that sometimes you just need a break. I added this to my program to see if it would help lubricate my back and help keep everything in place. I want to thank the SRTrooper program and FLEX Nutrition for allowing me to have this opportunity.

This is pretty simple. 1000mg of fish oil (anchovies). This is somewhat important as smaller fish have less time to build up toxins in their system. At least that is what some of the advertising I have seen has said about other products. This is dosed at 1 pill and yields the following.

EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 180mg
          DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 120mg

This seems pretty basic, some people like to see other ingredients added in here as well. However I am fine with this as I wanted to see if fish oil would show any noticeable difference.

These softgels have no taste. However I did get the Fishy burps on many occasions.

No mixing required.

Dosing is suggested at 1 softgel 1 or 2 times per day with meals or as directed by a physician. I found that varying doses starting at 250mg of EPA, DHA and going up. So with 2 pills daily you are right in that minimum suggestion. I personally ended up taking them in the morning before eating as I had less fishy burps the rest of the day. In my opinion though the dosing is pretty simple to follow and the serving size is acceptable. They are somewhat larger than other products (krill oil) but I didn't have a problem with them.

So here is the important part. I think it has helped. That being said I do not believe that it is the miracle pill some people thing that it is. As a side note however I do want to mention that I have been taking Chia Seeds everyday in my smoothie, and they have Omega's in them as well. I think that some people have great results, and if you don't eat a balanced diet these could help you out. Me I am not sure that I would continue to use this particular product. I think I would rather eat salmon or something so I didn't have to deal with the after taste.

As of 5/15/2018 Flex Nutrition has this on sale for $12.12 for 120 servings. This price is acceptable. You can get some cheaper products at walmart but sometimes you get what you pay for. For me this would be a 2 month supply, which is pretty inexpensive if you ask me.

Side Effects

Fishy burps, which did start to go away the longer I took it. However they where the worst when I used as directed and took with a meal. They subsided when I started taking them in the morning before I worked out or ate anything.

Conclusion

Research dictates that there is some people that respond well to Omega 3 supplementation. It can help memory issues, arthritis, depression and anxiety. For me however it just doesn't seem to do anything "noticeable" I can't say that this product is a bust, as it didn't hurt me. However maybe I haven't had the symptoms that I need to develop in order for me to see this stuff work. I am assuming it helped me as I "fixed" my back, but honestly I don't know for sure. I think the Chiropractor and being gentle with it probably helped more. I do appreciate the ability to take this as if it helped at all I would buy it in an instant, (back pain sucks). I think that this is kind of like vitamins, I would have to take them my whole life yet I still couldn't guarantee that they where the thing that worked. At the price they have though I might consider using them more often. However at this time I think that it is a one and done for me.

Thanks to Sur PhytoPerformance for sending it out!
            May 10, 2018

Cons:

Altred is a plant based supplement designed to increase performance and recovery. I have watched Beetroot extract sneak its way into supplements and figured a stand alone product would be fun to try. I am not sure how much credit to give to this product but I honestly had fun doing cardio this last month.

46 year old trying to fight the ravages of time and still be able to intimidate any potential future boyfriends my daughter might bring home.... I work out 5 to 7 days a week. During this run I was trying to maintain my weight which I did, and possibly re-comp a little while healing from a Lower back twisting out of joint. I was also off of caffeine so I wanted to give myself as much of a boost as I could. I would like to thank the SRTrooper program because it is awesome. Also to thank SUR Phytoperformance for sending this stuff out to me.

The one cool thing about single ingredient profiles. They are single ingredient profiles......

Beetroot Extract @ 50mg: Here is the problem. Examine.com list the effective dose at 436mg for a 150# person...... I am not 150#'s, currently sitting at 200#s. This seems to be under dosed, however maybe the have a stronger powder? Who knows? All I can do is put out some numbers and let you decide. I guess I would like some explanation of the dosage or an increase to a more appropriate dose.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

There is no taste or after effects for this single small red pill. Maybe they should make it a blue pill? Nope, I like red......

No mix-ability issues as it is a pill.

Dosing is pretty easy 1 pill each day. 2 hours before activity. They also suggest every 2 hours during activity. The only problem I could see would be people that are doing cardio first thing in the morning. I don't know anyone who would wake up 2 hours early to take a pill, then go back to sleep in order to have it in your system.

Once again I am not sure on this one. From research I did, this does not have enough stuff in it to be effective. However, I felt good working out all month and my cardio felt good. It was hitting muscle soreness more than lung capacity. I did use Cellucor NO3 Ultimate as well on some days. But I didn't use it all days so that isn't the only factor. This one just stumps me, possibly could be a placebo effect, who knows.......

As of 5/10/2018 they have this listed for $50.00 for a months supply.

This is what really makes this supplement a MEH..... For this price I can get a pre-workout that has way more stuff in it, like PeakO2 which I know works for me. I just can't see this as a good value. Especially when you are to take it every couple of hours during an event which could really make you blow through a bottle.

Side Effects

No side effects what so ever......

Conclusion

This is an interesting product that I have to give a Meh to. I can't really justify the price for a single ingredient. I know that I think it helped during my month run, but it didn't help as much as other products that I have taken (PeakO2 for example). If you are a minimalist and want to check out single ingredients you could give this a try. I think your money would be better spent on a caffeine free pre-workout with more stuff in it. But hey some of you don't understand my daily green smoothie, so to each his own. It was an interesting month trying this I just can't give it a thumbs up at the current dosage and price.