Mattmac1017

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 8 years, and was last online 4 months ago

Reviews by Mattmac1017

Thanks to BPS Nutrition for sending it out!
  February 24, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Pumps
  • Increased Recovery
  • Strength Gains
  • Expensive Especially At Higher Dosages
  • Odd Smell

I want to preface this review by stating that I was already on DAA and Mass HGH for 4 weeks before adding in the Laxacrine. While that certainly complicates the review process, I have used that combination numerous times before and am familiar with the expected results, side effects, etc. I will do my best to lay out the NEW changes, and impacts I experienced from Laxacrine.

This was my first time using a dermal product and it was interesting. The dropper was easy enough to use, though the downside to a liquid is that it is much more difficult to gauge how much remains, as opposed to pills which are countable. Just something to note when you think about upping the dose or spreading out the remainder. As others have mentioned the smell was very prominent. While I have certainly smelled far worse things, I wouldn't want to walk around smelling like Laxacrine all day. I would put this on after my morning shower, trying to give it as much time as I could to dry before putting on my undershirt. As per the recommended approach, I rotated applying this to chest, traps, arms, and shoulders. Did not see any skin irritation at the applications sites.

As I mentioned in the intro, I was already taking products that I was expecting to increase my strength. Combining those with a large caloric surplus, and a good training plan, I was already expecting to make some significant progress. That said, the addition of Laxacrine did two things. First, it helped me push into new PR territory during my meet prep. For example my best squat was 455 coming in, and during my 4 week run on Laxacrine I hit 465x2, and 475x1. I also tripled 635 in the deadlift on a day where I was hoping to hit a max double. An extra rep may not sound like a very big deal, but when it changes the predicted 1RM from 675 to 700, it is clearly significant. Secondly, the Laxacrine aided in my meet going really well, hitting further PR's of 496 and 661 on squat and deadlift, respectively. It definitely provided an extra boost right when I needed it.

The other performance aspect of Laxacrine I noticed were the pumps. I felt huge on upper body days, and sometimes I would even get chest pumps on lower body days. I was cumming day and night, as Arnold would say. And these weren't just your run of the mill pumps. These were deep, muscle ballooning pumps and I felt like I had better mind muscle connection as a result, something that certainly can aid in properly cuing muscles and improving form.

I did not really notice any joint improvement, largely due to the fact that I had no issues to begin with.

This is where Laxacrine gets some points deducted. It is now selling for $38.99 on Nutraplanet, so it has come down a good amount from the $49.99 it opened at. I think if this was closer to the $30, dollar per day type level then it would be more competitive. I used 1ml/day for the entirety, however the label states you can up it to 3ml/day. At that rate, though, a bottle lasts only 10 days (close to $4 per day) which is pretty unreasonable. Many more options out there in the $30 range.

Conclusion

I was very pleased with how Laxacrine performed. Good gains, huge pumps, and no negative side effects. The delivery method of a dermal was a slight inconvenience compared to pills, but it takes a couple minutes and so I wasn't too inconvenienced. The biggest thing holding me back is the price/dosing issue. If you could snag this on a sale under $30 I would go for it... at the regular price it's harder to swing. Until next time.

March 25, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Good Price
  • Super Clean Protein
  • No Fillers
    Alright so since this is supplementREVIEWS.com I thought I would actually start to contribute some reviews again. On the docket today we have NutraBio's Whey Protein Isolate. This is the first NutraBio product I have tried and I was very impressed. I am also finishing up a tub of their casein and CGT-max right now.

-----------

Taste/Mixing 9/10

-----------

Taste/Mixing 9/10

----------------

I had the chocolate flavor, and while it wasn't necessarily great tasting, that is what I wanted. I was actually turned off by Pro-Antium a little bit because after the first few servings I started to dislike the taste. It was just a little bit too strong for me and would make drinking it a chore that sometimes left me feeling not so great. When I'm drinking protein, I don't need it to taste like chocolate cake; I just need to put it down quickly right after a workout without it upsetting my stomach. NutraBio's Whey Protein Isolate allowed me to do that, and it was probably the best mixing protein I've ever used. Milk, water, 1 scoop, 2 scoops – it didn't matter. This stuff mixed up great every single time.

Effectiveness 9/10

--------

NutraBio's approach to the supplement game is exactly what you want; only the cleanest ingredients, no fillers, and absolutely everything that is in the tub is listed on the label with NO PROP BLENDS. I mean EVERYTHING, even down to the <1mg of flavoring (see below for a dispute on this). I am cleaning up my diet slowly but surely and the clean, pure approach by NutraBio was exactly what I was looking for. I usually dosed this at 2 scoops after workouts, and sometimes I would make a shake during the day with one scoop of this, and one scoop of their casein mixed with skim milk.

In terms of measuring effectiveness of a protein, there is only so much you can do. Strength gains, body composition, etc. are hardly ever the result of just one product, especially just a protein powder. I feel the measure of a protein is in the label, digestion, and perhaps some reduced muscle soreness. Obviously this label is the best I have ever come across, with 28.25g out of each 29g scoop being non-denatured whey protein isolate supplying 25g of protein per serving. I never had any problems whatsoever with digestion, but I never really noticed any drastic change in soreness after workouts. However, I put very little weight on the latter characteristic, because there are so many variables going into it.

Looking at the label again, I am a little confused by the final item:

"<1mg flavoring (natural flavoring 400mg, xanthan gum 350mg, sucralose 35mg)"

I think they meant for it to read "<1g" rather than "<1mg" since those flavoring ingredients added up equal 785mg of flavoring, hence <1g.
    This 785mg + 28.25g non-denatured whey = 29.035g per serving, rounded to the 29g listed on the bottle. If I'm right, it's just a small mistake and I'm not really going to hold anything against them.

---------

Value 9/10

------------------

2lb tub with 32 servings for $28 = $.88 per serving, or 3.52 cents per gram of protein. Compared this with some others:

4.03 cents/gram for ON Gold Standard
    5.66 cents/gram for ON Hydrowhey
    3.66 cents/gram for Pro-antium
    4.94 cents/gram for Iso-tropic max

NutraBio lines up very well against just about anyone. While the price is a little higher initially, you have to keep in mind the extremely high concentration of protein due to there being no fillers. This lack of fillers also is an added benefit since not only is there more protein, but there is less random junk that you can't even pronounce in here. Can't argue with that.

---------

Overall 9/10

------------------

Overall I can say that this is my new favorite whey protein isolate on the market. The clean label, easy mixing, simple taste, and good value make this something you should have on your short list of supps to try. I hesitate to give out all 10's, because I always think that the price could come down, taste could be better, etc. That said, this protein is about as perfect as you are going to find, and it's earned its spot as a staple in my stack.

August 29, 2012

• Long Lasting
    • No Crash
    • Clumpy!
    Alright guys, been a while since I wrote a review and I figured that Friction was worthy of a write-up. I have used many preworkouts in the past, just to name a few: Jack3d, C4, Assault, Muscle Marinade, Superpump Max, 1MR (both formulas), Craze and countless samples of others. My workouts were targeted for strength and size, with the rep range in the 4-6 range for the main movements, and 8-12 for assistance. I also took Friction having been on preworkouts for a while, probably 2-3 months, and so my tolerance was already pretty high. What can I say, I'm a stim junky through and through ...
    Alright guys, been a while since I wrote a review and I figured that Friction was worthy of a write-up. I have used many preworkouts in the past, just to name a few: Jack3d, C4, Assault, Muscle Marinade, Superpump Max, 1MR (both formulas), Craze and countless samples of others. My workouts were targeted for strength and size, with the rep range in the 4-6 range for the main movements, and 8-12 for assistance. I also took Friction having been on preworkouts for a while, probably 2-3 months, and so my tolerance was already pretty high. What can I say, I'm a stim junky through and through :)

PROFILE - 8.5/10 - Friction has a pretty solid, simple profile.

Serving Size 1 scoop (11g)
    Servings per Container 30
    Proprietary Blend - 9,015mg

Proprietary Creatine Matrix - 5000mg
    Creatine Monohydrate
    Covalex (Covalently Bonded Creatine/Leucinate Peptide)
    Beta-Alanine - 3,250mg
    Caffeine Anhydrous - 400mg
    Mind Matrix - 365mg
    B-Phenylethylamine HCI
    Isopropyloctopamine
    Yohimbine HCI
    N-Coumaoyl Dopamine
    Halostachine HCI

So while there is still the prop blend for the mind matrix, the main ingredients are spelled out. 5g creatine, 3.25g of beta-alanine, and 400mg caffeine. Simple and to the point for an energy based preworkout. No carbs or aminos, just something to get you fully torqued for the upcoming swoll session. No 1,3 D in this one, so you'll have to add your own if you're into that. But with 400mg of caffeine already in this, you don't really need to add any more stimulants...

The only problem I had with Friction was that is was super clumpy. Both small clumbs about the size of a kernel of corn, and larger clumps that were almost the size of the scooper. And it seems that this was not isolated to my tub. I worked at a GNC, and so I bought a tub for my friend as well. His tub was also all clumpy, with the bottom third being almost entirely caked on. I posted on here or another forum about the clumping issue to see if that was normal, and someone answered that their tub was also like this but it worked fine. Seems like there was some sort of moisture issue, which might have had an impact of the effectiveness but it's hard to tell since I don't have a tub to test that isn't all clumpy.

EFFECTIVENESS - 8.5/10

Since I was pretty stim tolerant, I was wondering how I would react to this, especially since there was no 1,3 D. I was pretty happy with it, however I began to establish a tolerance about halfway through the tub. Don't get me wrong, the first few workouts were great - some of the best energy I've ever had. I would compare it to the old formula 1MR that could be used in place of a defibrillator to restart your heart. A couple of times I took noxipro to switch it up, and I noticed that the energy from Friction was much more consistent, as opposed to noxipro's sudden rush for about 45 minutes, only to leave me feeling like *** with 45 minutes left in my workout. On a couple of occasions, I through in a scoop of noxipro with a scoop of friction, for instance when I was maxing out. I wouldn't recommend doing that, however it was a hell of a ride!

Focus was never an issue on Friction, 1 scoop had my mind right every time. It wasn't the mindless weight-crushing tunnel vision that I experienced from Craze, however. I'm gonna give it an 8.5 overall (round up to 9), which I think is pretty good considering how stim tolerant I was at the time. No more of this straight 10's nonsense! I would rate the energy an 8.75, and the focus an 8.

Not too much of a pump, but I was taking D-Pol while on this so anything I had would be attributed to the D-Pol...

VALUE - 8/10

I got my tub for like $30, so basically a dollar a scoop. Pretty standard for a preworkout. The only issue I had was what I said before about the clumps, especially in my friends container. Stuff was caked on so hard it was difficult to scoop.

OVERALL - 8/10

It's hard to decide between an 8 or a 9, but I think the fact that I was so stim tolerant made this stand out less in my mind. That, combined with the fact that I started to build a tolerance makes me settle on an 8 overall. For a little perspective, I think cocaine would probably be a 10 as far as an energy based preworkout, and a scoop of friction with a scoop of noxipro was probably a 9 or 9.25. I have yet to try N'Sane, and I hope that will live up to the hype!

If you are a stim junkie like me, I would say Friction is definitely on your radar for something to try if you haven't yet.

February 27, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Incredible Mental Stimulation
    • Insane Focus
    • Tunnel Vision
    • No Crash
    • No Beta-alanine
    I'll start off with my history of pre-workout use/abuse ;). I have taken quite a few, Jack3d, N.O. Xplode, 1MR, Assault, Superpump Max, Animal Rage... so I have a pretty good sense as to how this stacks up. Prior to taking Craze my favorite pre-workout was probably the old 1MR because it gave me a ton of energy. I am pretty tolerant to stimulants, and around 220 pounds, so I usually take the max dosage of whatever pre-workout I have. After this bottle of Craze, I can say I have found a new favorite. The workouts I had on this were insane, and the drive I had in the gym propelled me to new PR's across the board. Now to the details:

Value (9/10)

----------------

I picked up Craze for about $30, and using the max dosage works out to $1.33 a serving ($30/22.5 Servings). A little expensive, but 3 scoops of Jack3d runs you the same price ($20/15 Servings). I will gladly pay $30 again for Craze.

----------

Mixability/Taste (7/10)

----------

I had the grape flavor, and it mixed up fine. The only problem I had was the taste. It was like super tart grape kool-aid, and it was not very pleasant. Honestly though, who really cares what it tastes like? I would drink far nastier stuff to get the results I had from this. I was also taking creatine mono while on Craze, and so sometimes I would mix my creatine and Craze in Welches grape juice instead of water. That definitely made it a lot better.

Energy (8/10)

---------------

Unlike a lot of the reviews I have seen, I never felt "˜cracked out' while on Craze the way I did when I took 1MR. Honestly the first time I took it, I only used a scoop and I didn't really feel much. Started to doubt the purchase, but the next workout I took 2 scoops and was much happier. Not jittery type energy, just smooth and lasting. The difficult part wasn't finishing the workout, it was leaving the gym!

Focus (10/10)

---------------

This is where Craze separates itself from the pack. And it isn't even close. Within about 20-30 minutes I was absolutely in the zone. Tunnel vision to the max, I don't think I ever had a thought besides pushing out rep after rep. I have always tried to push myself hard, but where I would usually call it good on a set, Craze gave me the confidence to bust out a couple more reps. It was like I was able to devote all of my energy to whatever exercise I was doing in a way that I have never really felt before.

Pump (8/10)

---------------

The pump on Craze was a little different that pumps I have gotten in the past. It seemed like my mind-muscle connection was better, so I could get a good pump going just from my ability to focus on the muscle I was working. Nothing out of this world, but pretty good.

Results (10/10)

--------------

I am currently following the 5/3/1 program, and at the time I got Craze I was starting wave 2. I switched up Military and Bench Press to dumbbells because I had been having some wrist issues, and dumbbells didn't give me problems like the barbell did. As I said before, I was also taking ON creatine mono, as well as Up Your Mass and Nitro Core 24. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. These are the max effort sets according to week.

Exercise Week 1 Week 2 Week 3

Deadlift 335x10 360x8 380x9

DB Bench 90x8 95x8 100x8

DB Military 75x9 80x8 85x7

Squat 240x8 255x8 270x8

Negatives

----------------

I never noticed any sleep loss due to this as other people have noted. Never really crashed either. The only problem I have with Craze is that there isn't any beta-alanine! I love the tingling sensation, and have seen good results using it in the past. Next time I run Craze I'll be supplementing beta-alanine with it.

Overall (10/10)

--------------

Now obviously Craze didn't account for all of the gains I made, but it allowed me to push myself harder than I ever have before. The additional supplements were there to aid in my recovery, but without Craze I wouldn't have been able to kill it in the gym. I am currently taking Muscle Marinade as part of my Purus Labs stack (D-Pol and Slinshot), but I am definitely going to be picking up another tub of Craze afterwards. That is unless I get my hands on some N'Sane, because the reviews on that are pretty ridiculous as well. I would definitely recommend everyone to give this pre-workout a try, you won't be disappointed!

December 7, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Carnipure
    • Minerals Are Chelated
    • 3.2 Gr Of Beta-alanine
    • B12 In Methylcobalamin Form
    • Magnesium In Pure Chelated Form
    • A Bit To Expensive But Worth It
    • Smell/taste
    Alright guys I've gone through two 180 count bottles of this so I feel I can give you a pretty good feel. I was shopping around for a new multi and was excited to see that this was combined with beta-alanine and L-Carnitine. The full daily dosage (6 pills) contains 3.2g of beta-alanine, and 2g of "˜Carnipure' (L-Carnitine and L-Tartrate). The bottle claims that this 3.2g of beta-alanine meets the threshold requirement to actually see results.

As far as dosage, I usually took two in the morning and two pre-workout for a daily total of four. I liked taking it pre-workout because I love the tingling of beta-alanine when I work out. The pills are a regular size, neon orange, and taste pretty bad. None of these are deal breakers though.

PRICE (8/10): The cheapest I could find it for was $24, which works out to $.80 a day if you are taking the full dosage. For me, it was about $.53 a day since I was only taking 4 pills. Comparing this to Animal Pak, which I am taking now, Anavite is pretty similar. I found Animal Pak for $20.99 for 44 paks, and I'm going to assume that most people only take one pak a day instead of the "˜recommended' two.

Product Recommended Serving:
    Anavite (6 pills per day) - $.80
    Animal Pak (2 paks per day) - $.95

What I was taking:
    Anavite (4 pills per day) - $.53
    Animal Pak (1 pak per day) - $.48

So for my purposes, Animal Pak was actually cheaper, although it didn't not contain the beta-alanine and L-Carnitine that are found in Anavite.

PROFILE (8/10) - Pretty standard multi as far as massive dosages of vitamins, although the chelated form means that the vitamins are more bioavailable for your body. Pretty hard to gauge how well you absorb vitamins though, especially when dosages are in the 5000% percent DV range. Combine the higher quality ingredients with the beta-alanine and the L-carnitine, and the ingredient profile is pretty darn good. However, it is lacking many of the smaller ingredients that are found in Animal Pak.

EFFECTIVENESS (8/10) - Overall I'm going to give it a 8. I never caught a cold or anything while on this, but it's not like this supplement alone made a huge difference. I didn't really notice a difference in recovery because I eat a ton and take Gluta-lyn. The beta-alanine tingles were a plus, although if you don't like them then I would stay away. I recently started taking Animal Pak, so I'll be writing up a review for that in about a month or so.

Final word: Good enough to take a look, but I'm not saying hands down good or bad. Given the nature of a multivitamin, it is hard to attribute gains or losses. One of the best determining factors is reputation, and Animal Pak has been around for 28 years and consistently rated #1. I guess the fact that I switched from Anavite to Animal Pak is a testament in itself.

November 15, 2011

• Puts On Weight Quick
    • Explosive Gas
    • Large Scoops
    I have gone through 2 12lb bags of this, and I am very satisfied with the results I saw each time.

Price: (10) I got both of my bags for $29.99, which comes out to less than $2 a shake with each bag containing 16 full servings. This is one of the high points for Serious Mass. 250g Carbs, 50g Protein, 1250 calories for $2 a shake is simply the best you are going to find in a gainer. Granted you may be able to make your own concoction for less, but as far as mass gainers go Serious Mass packs the biggest punch for your money.

Mixability/Taste: (8) The biggest problem with Serious M...

Price: (10) I got both of my bags for $29.99, which comes out to less than $2 a shake with each bag containing 16 full servings. This is one of the high points for Serious Mass. 250g Carbs, 50g Protein, 1250 calories for <$2 a shake is simply the best you are going to find in a gainer. Granted you may be able to make your own concoction for less, but as far as mass gainers go Serious Mass packs the biggest punch for your money.

Mixability/Taste: (8) The biggest problem with Serious Mass is the sheer amount of powder you have to mix, 3/4 lb worth. Obviously this makes things a little more difficult when preparing your shake. It is hard to make full servings using only a shaker because the powder takes up pretty much the whole space, although half servings are more manageable. The best way was just to bring out the blender, which mixed it up fine. As far as taste goes, it reminds me of hot chocolate, and isn't bad overall. It is pretty thick, but what else do you expect from a gainer containing 3/4 lb of powder?

Results: (9) The most recent time I took this, I put on about 15 pounds in a month. This sounds like a lot but I play college basketball and I started the bag toward the end of my season when I weighed the least. Once my season ended I packed weight on a lot quicker since I wasn't running for 2 hours everyday. I also started taking Kre-Alkalyn and Casein, so the results I experienced were not from the Serious Mass alone, but it definitely helped me put on weight and make solid gains.

Overall: (9) I was very happy with the gains I made. Not the best tasting or easiest to mix, but it certainly did its job. Also a great value for the profile you are getting. I can definitely vouch for the nickname I have previously seen for this, Serious Gas, but that is just a minor consequence. I would recommend this to anyone looking to pack on weight, although because of the large number of calories you have to make sure your goals match up. Something like PC Gainer would better for a lean bulk, but it is also more expensive. All depends on your personal goals. I was just looking to put on weight, and Serious Mass definitely lived up to its name.

March 20, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Very Effective
    • Unreal Energy
    • Big Pumps
    • A Lot Better Focus
    • Minimal Ingredients
    • No Fillers
    • Addicting?
    Alright I've been using this website for a few months since I started getting serious about lifting again, and I decided it was time to write my first review. I starting taking this supplement last summer, and I have gone through two containers of it. This was the first pre-workout I had ever taken, and I was blown away at how great it made me feel. Not only did it increase my strength, focus and energy, but I felt like I could lift all day and literally had to force myself to leave the gym. That said, cycling off of this was difficult because it made lifting without it more of a chore than the thrill it was while taking it. I am going another two weeks without it, then I'll be ordering my third container. Now for the breakdown:

Price: Pretty cheap, I usually get it for around $23 on Amazon with free shipping because I am a Prime member. And so 45 scoops works out to be roughly $.50 a scoop, which is totally worth it. I guess if you build up a tolerance quickly then it becomes more of a decision, but I was taking 2-2.5 scoops toward the very end.

Mixability/Taste: Although not the greatest taste or mixing, that doesn't really matter to me because I just chug it down in a few gulps and then I'm ready to go. I had lemon and grape and both were decent but not something I would choose to drink on its own.

Effectiveness: Again, I experienced immediate strength gains the first time on it, and when lifting without it there is a considerable drop off in my intensity in the weight room. The caffeine really hypes you up, the taurine is there for focus, and my vascularity really increases, although I'm pretty veiny to begin with.

Overall: I'm going to give it a 9, because while the gains I saw on it were impressive, it was also my first pre-workout. As a warning, I usually had to dump right after taking this, which I think is because of the caffeine. Just a warning. In the end, jack3d is definitely something you'll want to try if you haven't yet.

March 20, 2011

• Mixes Well
    • No Cons
    I use this as my post workout shake, and also sometimes added a scoop to my mass gainer for a little extra protein. I've gone through two 5 pound tubs, and I am almost done with my third. It's one of the best proteins out there, probably behind Hydro-Whey and maybe Pro Complex, although Pro Complex is more of a time release protein.

Price: I usually get it for around 38.95 from Supplement Warehouse, although they just recently raised their price to 44.95. Either way for 78 scoops it comes out to about $.50 a scoop, which is pretty cheap for the quality.

Taste/Mixability: Post worko...

Taste/Mixability: Post workout I mix two scoops in my shaker with water and never have any problems with clumping. I get the chocolate which is good. When I have the time, mixing with milk is even better because it makes for a creamier and smoother shake.

Effectiveness: I was using this stacked with Jack3d, Kre-Alkalyn, Glutalyn, Synta 6, and ON Casein, so it is kind of difficult to gauge the effect that this supplement had alone. I play college basketball, and since the end of my season about 3 weeks ago I've managed to put on 12 pounds. A lot of that is water weight from not running so much, but none of it has been fat. The 48g of protein post workout from ON 100% Whey has certainly provided me with a solid start to my recovery every time.

Overall: I am going to give this a 9. Definitely one of the best proteins on the market, and relatively cheap too. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid post-workout protein that isn't too expensive.