JayT

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by JayT

April 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Patented Ingredients
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Disappointing Effectiveness

New test booster from one of my favorite companies.

This was a fairly hyped supplement from Kaged Muscle that was just released the end of February. I am a fan of Kaged supplements and I saw a deal on bodybuilding.com for this, so I decided to purchase a bottle. I am currently cutting right now and going to the gym about 5 times a week.

This profile is stacked with patented ingredients that are said to help naturally boost your testosterone levels.

OptiZinc - According to InterHealth, the maker or OptiZ...

New test booster from one of my favorite companies.

OptiZinc - According to InterHealth, the maker or OptiZinc, zinc monomethionine (the zinc that is included in Ferodrox) is zinc paired with the amino acid methionine. They state that this is 20% zinc and absorbs better than zinc sulfate. Examine.com states that zinc is one of the 24 micronutrients needed for survival. Athletes and those who follow strict diets can be deficient in zinc. Zinc is said to raise testosterone levels, but only if the user is already deficient in zinc. A high dosage is considered to be anywhere from 25-45 mg. Ferodrox contains 30 mg.

KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract - 600 mg per serving. Ashwagandha is best known for reducing cortisol levels. It is said to also help athletic performance and virility. 600 mg is a common dosage of KSM-66 in supplements.

LJ100 Eurycoma Longifolia Root Extract - 200 mg. Patented form of Tongkat Ali/LongJack. HP, maker of LJ100, gives a long list of all their claimed benefits of this extract on their site. They say it helps sports and endurance, sex and libido, weight loss and mood, and healthy aging. Under these topics, they claim it helps testosterone levels, promoting an anabolic environment, reduces cortisol, increases libido, improves mood among many, many others. However, Examine states that there is not solid research backing testosterone boosting. They do however suggest that this extract increases libido levels.

PrimaVie - 200 mg. Patented form of Shilajit. Natreon, maker of PrimaVie, states that this complex supports male sexual health, increases endurance and fitness levels, and is a mitochondrial energy booster. Natreon provides a certain process to remove most of the heavy metals that are normally contained in shilajit. Examine does not really give any research or a summary of this ingredient.

Diindolylmethane - 120 mg. Micropure form of this ingredient, more well known as DIM, that is found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli. It is said to be a promising anti-estrogenic ingredient.

BioPerine - 10 mg. Common ingredient that can help absorption of all the other ingredients.

All in all, these are high-quality ingredients that are found in many other natural test boosting products. The dosages are well within the ranges of studied dosages, especially since they are all patented forms. The capsules are vegetarian and are supposed to be delivered as a delayed release. The capsules are supposed to bypass your stomach and all the ingredients are supposed to be absorbed by the small intestines.

Instructions state to take two capsules in the morning or one in the morning, one in the evening. I dosed it two capsules in the morning for my convenience.

I will start by saying I did not have any tests run prior, during, or after running one bottle of this. With that being said, I was pretty disappointed with the apparent effectiveness of this product despite the patented ingredients. I think the best aspect of this product was that libido was slightly improved, which I noticed about a week after taking this. I also saw a little increase in vascularity in my arms, but I was also intentionally cutting, so that could have been part of the reason as well.

I have had other products that have increased both libido and vascularity more. I really did not see anything else that would tell me that this product was working. I have not had issues with acne in years, but I did not even have a pimple during my month run with this. Usually a few pimples are almost expected with test boosters. I was not necessarily training for strength, but nothing really gave me a solid indication that this helped in that aspect. I do not think my endurance was increased much more either. My recovery also was not expedited in anyway.

It is possible that my goals and age (27) were not the best indicators of the effectiveness of this product, but I have had some pretty good experiences in the past with natural test boosters with similar ingredients. It also could be more effective if it was ran for a full eight week cycle, which is more common with natural test boosters, but it was too expensive for me to do that. With that in mind, it should be noted that nowhere on the label states to stop consumption after eight weeks followed by a four week break that is normal with other similar products. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Normally, this is selling for $60 for 30 servings (60 capsules). I saw a 25% off discount on bodybuilding.com a while ago, so I thought it was a good time to purchase a bottle. After the 25% off discount, I was able to get this for $45. For the ingredients that are contained in Ferodrox, $45 is a decent price for a month run, but $60 is just too expensive for me to consider running this. Normal price places this at $2 a serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you can catch this on sale and think you would benefit from these patented ingredients, I think it could be worth it. However, at full price, I think there are other products that are just as, if not more effective. Of course, you are getting pure ingredients in here, so all that should be taking in consideration.

April 5, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Organic
  • Vegan
  • No Soy
  • Fruit And Veggie Blend
  • Probiotics
  • Natural
  • Good Source Of Fiber
  • Gritty Texture

I have been a vegan since the new year and have been trying to cut some weight. On a vegan diet, supplementing protein is especially important, so I have been looking for a lot of different proteins to try. I came across this one food shopping at BJs. It looked pretty impressive for the price, so I picked up a few containers of it.

From an ingredient standpoint, I think this is pretty impressive for a plant based protein. There is a lot to like about this protein. It contains 130 calories, 2 g of fat, 9 g of carbs (7 g of fiber, 2 g sugar), and 20 g of protein from pea and brown rice. Also included is an organic fruit and veggie blend that contains alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, flaxseed, and blueberry. Not sure how much is included of each exactly, but it probably is not that much due to it being listed after cane sugar in the ingredient panel and there is only 2 g of sugar total. Additionally, there is the digestive enzyme/probiotic blend of papain and LactoSpore. This is all naturally sweetened and does not contain anything artificial. Another cool thing about this profile is that it contains 40% of your daily iron intake per scoop.

Taste 6/10: I only saw the French vanilla flavor at BJs, so that is what I was able to try. It had a decent vanilla flavor, but it also had a bit of a bitterness from the veggie blend I guess. I did not mind drinking it. However, I would question the "amazing taste" that is written on the bottom of the tub. You can also try this in decadent chocolate

Mixability 6/10: Another 6 rating here because this is pretty gritty. It is not a smooth texture like a good whey would be. It also settles a bit on the bottom that needs to be shaken up a bit if you do not drink it right away.

Dosing: Standard mix a scoop into about 10 ounces of water or another beverage.

I used this just about daily to get some more protein into my diet. I usually used this with dinner as I had another protein powder for post workout. I tried mixing this in my oatmeal once and did not care for the taste at all, so I only ever mixed this in water after that. I am sure if I mixed it in almond milk or something, it would probably taste better, but I did not mind the taste in water too much. This protein actually kept me full for a good period of time too; it kept me full more than whey when I used to take it. I did not have any stomach discomfort with this either.

I got this for a steal at BJs for about $15. This was also a special 33% larger tub (2 pounds) for some reason, so I got 25 servings in each tub. That is $0.60 a serving. I only saw that same size online on Sam's Club's website for $20 though. Then you may also have to pay for shipping on that site. On Amazon it can be purchased at its normal size (19 servings) for $18.99. So right around the $1 a serving mark. I do not think that is a bad price for an organic plant based protein that contains a fruit and veggie blend and digestive enzyme/probiotic blend.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I would recommend this if you are into plant based powders. For anyone else, if you find it at the discounted price that I was able to, I would strongly suggest trying it out. At less than $1 a serving, I think this is a really good deal.

March 29, 2018

• Gluten Free
  • Soy Free
  • Convenient
  • Satisfying
  • Protein Not First Ingredient

Garden of Life has been a company I have been using a lot of lately. I like the ingredients that GoL uses and the price is not too crazy for the quality that they use.

This is another plant based product from Garden of Life. Depending on the flavor you choose, you are looking at about 280 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 34 g carbs (10 g fiber, 8 g sugar), and 20 g protein. The protein is sourced mostly from pea protein, but almond butter, sprouted rice protein, and peanuts also add to the protein content. With GoL, you are getting an organic bar, no soy/gluten, certified third party testing, and no GMOs. This bar is also vegan so it could appeal to almost anyone no matter what diet you are following. The only thing I did not really like about the ingredients was that tapioca was listed as the first ingredient, but I know that is where a lot of the fiber and sugar comes from, so it is not that big of a deal.

Taste/Texture

Taste: I usually grab these while at work and I have only seen and tried the peanut butter chocolate and chocolate fudge flavors. They also offer a chocolate mint and sea salt caramel flavor. I normally do not care for mint flavored foods, but I love caramel and I am thinking of picking up a box of them next time I order something online. I would say that the peanut butter chocolate was a 7/10 and the chocolate fudge was an 8/10. The bar contained both a peanut butter and fudge taste in their respective flavors. The bars were not overly sweet, which is a plus for me. I hate bars that just throw a whole bunch of sweeteners in them to get you to eat it.

Texture: These were soft/chewy bars and the little bit of texture comes from the crisps and some chopped peanuts in the peanut butter flavor.

Obviously with a protein bar, you normally get these for the convenience factor of them. Since I have been working at Whole Foods the past few months, I have been grabbing these occasionally when I close since the new year began. I normally do not feel like preparing a dinner when I work for the night, so I will grab one or two of these to have on my break at work. They are fairly calorie dense and they contain a pretty good amount of all three macros, so I think this could be considered between a snack and a meal replacement as I do not think it really falls into either category. This is a nice size bar, so it will keep you satisfied for at least a couple hours. I did not experience any trouble digestion wise with them. They do contain a good amount of fiber, so it may bother some people in that aspect.

A box of 12 of these is running right around $24 on many different sites. At $2 a bar, it is not too bad of a price. Many other bars that use lesser quality ingredients are priced at this mark and some may be even more, so I am willing to pay this price.

Conclusion

Another product from Garden of Life that I enjoy. I really like the quality of ingredients in this bar and the price is not too bad for what you are getting. I would definitely recommend these bars to buy and obviously especially if you follow a vegan diet.

March 6, 2018

• Gluten Free
  • Added Probiotics
  • Soy Free
  • Slightly Gritty Texture
  • Pricier Than Some Whey Proteins

As I have switched to more of a plant based diet since the new year, I have been looking for different proteins to try out. I previously have tried Garden of Life's Whey protein sport, so I decided to try out their plant-based protein.

This has a pretty decent macro profile. Per one scoop, you get 85 calories, 1.5 g fat, 4 g carbs (2 g fiber, less than 1 g sugar), and 15 g of protein. They give the macros for two scoops as well, which obviously everything is doubled. Garden of Life used mostly legumes as their sources of protein (pea, sprouted navy bean, sprouted lentil bean, sprouted garbanzo bean) and finally cranberry seed. The flavors in this protein (chocolate) included cacao, carob (bean similar tasting to chocolate, used as a vegan substitute in many chocolate recipes), chocolate flavor, vanilla flavor, sea salt, Stevia. It contains a "muscle recovery blend" that uses apple, tart cherry, turmeric, blueberry, and goji berry. It is a blend, so I am not sure how much of each are included. Finally there is a probiotic strand of Bl-04 containing 2 billion CFU. This protein is certified vegan, gluten free, soy free, and organic/non-GMO.

Taste 7/10: I thought this tasted pretty good for being vegan, naturally flavored, and sweetened with Stevia. I usually mixed it in water, although occasionally I mixed it in almond milk. Usually used 12-16 ounces of water or 8 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Mixability 8/10: This mixed very well; never had any settling, floating, or clumping while using a shaker bottle. It did have a bit of the gritty taste that is common among plant based powders, but I have had worse.

Dosing: I usually used this as a snack if I wanted a bit more protein for the day. A lot of times I used a heaping scoop to try and get closer to 20 g of protein.

I enjoyed the taste of this protein. Like I said I used it occasionally as a snack if I felt I needed some more protein throughout the day. I really like the quality of the ingredients and it did not cause any digestive problems. The probiotics were a nice addition as well. According to the label, two scoops yields 5.5 g of BCAAs and 5 g of glutamine and glutamic acid which is pretty comparable to many whey proteins available. I do not know if I noticed much from the "muscle recovery blend," but I would like to think that it had some purpose. Would really like to know how much of each of those ingredients were even included.

I found this on Amazon for $38.47 for the chocolate flavor and oddly the vanilla flavor is almost $3 cheaper at $35.54. Not sure of the reasoning behind that since the only difference are the flavors. I know carob is pretty pricey, but I doubt that there would be enough in here to warrant a $3 difference in prices. Anyway, per scoop (38 scoops in a 2 pound jug) equals just over $1 a scoop. If you opt for the vanilla, you can get it for $0.94 a scoop. I did mention that I used a heaping scoop or even sometimes 1.5 scoops, so that can affect the value if you are looking for a protein powder that contains the more common ~24 g per serving. You do have to take into consideration the ingredients, quality, added probiotics etc.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Good option in my opinion to those looking for a non-dairy source of protein. I would recommend it based on the quality and ability to buy it at a decent price on Amazon.

Overall
Thanks to The Genius Brand for sending it out!
  February 22, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Endurance
  • Helps Strength
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Natural
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Expensive In Comparison To Bulk Monohydrate
  • Settling At Bottom Of Shaker

This will be my second review from Genius as I have previously tried their protein blend and I have quickly become a fan of theirs. They are completely natural and use high quality ingredients in their products which I truly appreciate.

One scoop contains 3 g of Creapure creatine mono, 1.6 g of CarnoSyn beta-alanine, 1.5 g of creatine HCl, 500 mg of creatine MagnaPower, and 25 mg of AstraGin. So you have three forms of arguably the most effective creatine, an endurance aid, and an absorption aid. Four out of the five active ingredients are trademark so you know there are no impurities or fillers that are possible to ingest through lower quality ingredients. The fifth ingredient that is not trademarked (creatine HCl) does not even have a trademarked form to my knowledge, so no harm there. The ingredients alone are underdosed, but as a blend I thought they worked fine.

As far as inactive ingredients, I really liked how they used Stevia and monk fruit as sweeteners, natural flavors, and avocado extract for a color. I have not seen avocado being used for color so I thought that was cool. Whenever a company goes the natural route, it usually earns big points with me.

Taste 10/10: I received the apple flavor and it was very good in my opinion. It was not too sweet or overpowering, but it was extremely refreshing. They nailed it, especially using natural ingredients. Normally when using Stevia it leads to a bitter aftertaste, but they masked that somehow. Great job here.

Mixability 5/10: Unfortunately as great as the taste was, the mixability suffered. There was no foaming at all, but it left a heavy sediment at the bottom of the shaker bottle. The sediment was very gritty and slightly sweet, so I am guessing it was the CarnoSyn.

Dosing 10/10: Recommended to take one scoop in 8 oz. of water anytime after your workout. Since I was not taking a pre-workout, I opted to take it before training since it contained beta-alanine and creatine obviously; so I used it as a non-stim pre-workout.

Since I kept my supplements to a bare minimum these past couple months, I think I have a good understanding of how effective this product was. Although I was not necessarily strength training, I started bringing my numbers back up to close to where they were when I was in my best shape. I have been in a caloric deficit and have been fairly active yet I was improving in many areas strength wise. I was doing more circuit style training and a lot more supersets and felt like I had pretty good endurance. I never really noticed anything that improved my pumps, but I do not think creatine is best suited for that. I never received any crazy pumps from purely creatine. I also did not notice an increase in recovery, but since I did not try this out post-workout, I am not going to take off for that. I would really like to try this out with their pre-workout and see how effective that combo is.

You can find this on Amazon for $30 for 25 servings. A bit expensive if you are judging it from a creatine standpoint, but the ingredients are high quality and it is a natural product. Each serving is $1.20, but you are getting a solid product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Really enjoyed this product and I have really become a fan of this company. I definitely recommend this product and I will look to try other products from them in the future. Thank you Genius for sending this out.

Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 17, 2018

• Purity
  • Label Transparency
  • No Prop Blends
  • Increased Recovery
  • Actually Is Tasteless
  • Needs Creapure.

Here we have another review coming from one of my favorite companies in NutraBio. I have had good results with many of their products, and this one was no exception.

CGT-Max uses three fairly common ingredients in creatine, glutamine, and taurine. They include creatine monohydrate at 4.2 g and creatine MagnaPower at 833 mg for a total of 5 g of creatine. NutraBio uses Kyowa Glutamine which is naturally fermented glutamine from plants at 4 g. Finally they include 2 g of taurine. As you can see, this is an extremely simple profile, but ingredients that we have all taken before. Most of the time, they can be found in pre or post workout drinks and for most of us, the ingredients provide good results. The only thing that would make this profile better is if CreaPure was used instead of plain monohydrate.

Taste: I requested and received the unflavored version and it was truly unflavored. Never altered the taste of anything I mixed it with and was just about undetectable in water.

Mixability 9/10: This mixed up fine; only some minor settling at the bottom of the shaker cup.

Dosing 10/10: Suggested use is take one serving mixed into 16 oz. of a beverage of your choice two times daily. On training days, I dosed mine pre and post workout and on off days, I just took one serving in the morning because I felt like I did not need two servings if I was not working out.

I thought that this product was effective for the ingredients included in here. I used both doses peri-workout, because I felt that the creatine would be best utilized in this way, the taurine would help taking it pre-workout, and the glutamine taken post-workout. I noticed that my endurance was slightly better. I have not been as active in the gym lately as I was in the beginning of the year and the summer and I am really trying to get back to where I was. My strength and endurance has been down and this was a nice boost to get me going again. The taurnine provided some nice hydration and provided decent pumps in combination with the creatine. The glutamine/creatine combo enhanced my recovery times a bit. I do not think this was a miracle supplement, but you cannot really expect that with these ingredients. At the end of the day, CGT-Max met my expectations and did not leave me disappointed in that regard.

This is being sold for just about $20 on Amazon and includes shipping for free with Prime. This comes out to $0.50 per serving (remember directions call for two scoops a day), so it is a pretty good value. You are getting two trademarked ingredients in this product and nothing that you do not need. Dosing it the way I did, I believe that it lasted me just under a month.

Side Effects

Nothing for me.

Conclusion

I think that this is a good product, and priced fairly enough where it can be a staple supplement. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone looking for a creatine blend. Thank you NutraBio for sending it out.

Overall
Overall
4.5
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • IngredientManufacturing Transparency
  • Comprehensive Profile
  • Might Benefit More Running It Longer.
  • Not As Effective For All Ingredient Included
  • Underdosed Kollagen II-xs

NutraBio's Extreme Joint Care was a product that I wanted to take for a while because I liked the profile and I like NutraBio. I usually have problems with my knees, hips, and shoulders--especially in the cold. I was really excited to try this product out, but I do not think it helped out as well as I thought it would have.

On paper, this could be one of the best formulas I have seen in a joint care product. It includes glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, which are probably three of the most common joint relief ingredients. There is also some curcumin added, which is another popular joint ingredient seen in a lot of new products. There is gelatin, which is what the capsule is made from. There is a trademarked collagen product called KollaGen II-xs, but it is really under dosed if you look at the manufacturer's website (Certified Nutraceuticals). There is boswellia, hyaluronic acid, and horsetail herb, which are more uncommon joint ingredients. 5 mg of BioPerine is added to help absorb the aforementioned ingredients. So like I said, this is a very comprehensive profile--although some dosages are on the low end of the effective dosage range. Really the only other common joint ingredient that is not included that I can think of is Cissus.

Directions state to take four capsules daily with meals. May be taken all at once or two divided doses with morning and evening meals. I took four capsules with my first meal of the day. I believe these are the "000" sized capsules, so as far as I know, they are the biggest capsules you can find. Something to consider if you are not good at taking capsules.

For such a great looking profile on the label, I was pretty surprised at how little this helped me. I still had pain in my knees, hips, and shoulders and even with doing extra mobility work before and after the gym. The label does say that it is supposed to take seven days to notice effects, so essentially with one bottle you should only be noticing the effects for three weeks, but I cannot say that I did. Maybe running more bottles would have helped? I do not know why I did not find relief from this product, but I am sorry I cannot write anything better about it. However, judging from a lot of previous reviews, some other reviewers noticed that it did not help out as much as they would have liked either, so I guess I am not alone in that regard.

The value is not the worst here, especially when you factor in all the trademarked ingredients; it can be found for $27 with free shipping on bodybuilding.com for a 30 day supply, but I did not think it helped me out much or at all really, so the value is pretty low for me. Each serving comes out to about $0.90.

Side Effects

Did not notice any.

Conclusion

Unfortunately, this was a dud for me. I was really hoping this would have helped, but I do not feel it did. Thank you NutraBio for the chance to run this.

January 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mostly Whey Isolate
  • Organic
  • Natural
  • Soy-free
  • Added Probiotics
  • Kind Of Expensive
  • Only 20 Servings

I was Black Friday shopping at Whole Foods and their whole body section was 20% off. I also work at Whole Foods ever since being laid off as a cop, so I get an additional 20% off with an employee discount. I saw this and wanted to purchase it to try out. After looking at prices, I realize that even with about 40% off from Whole Foods, I still paid more than buying it online. lol

This protein is sourced from grass fed cows from Ireland, is certified organic/non-GMO, nothing artificial, no soy, contains probiotics, and is mostly whey isolate. It is basically everything I looked for in whey proteins. The nutritional profile is 120 calories per scoop, no fat, only 5 mg of cholesterol, 120 mg of sodium, 100 mg of potassium, 6 g of carbs (4 g of fiber, 0 g sugar), and 24 g of protein. 85% of the protein is whey isolate and 15% is milk protein. Milk protein is not that great of a source of protein compared to whey, so I did not really care for that.

Taste 7/10: I purchased the vanilla flavor and it was okay. Light on flavor, but it was not bad. It is does list Stevia as a sweetener, but I did not detect that bitter aftertaste in this protein. Actually, it probably was one of the better vanilla flavors I have had in a long time. Normally I used 12 ounces of water, so that is probably why it was a light flavor, but I usually add more water than I need to to make sure I get enough in during the day.

Mixability 8/10: Mixed pretty well except for some foam left over. It is a really light powder, so it mixed by itself almost instantly when placed in water.

Dosing: They actually do not give instructions on when to take it. Their directions are mix one level scoop with 8 ounces of water. Since there are only 20 servings and it is mostly an isolate, I used it strictly post-workout.

As stated right above, I used this strictly post-workout during the month of December. It went down smoothly and never gave me an upset stomach. The isolate is ideal post-workout because it is easier for your body to break down and feed your muscles. The ingredient profile is really clean and it contains no fat and only 2 g of net carbs, so it is easy to work into your macros. The added probiotics are nice because it helps you digest the protein even better. You get 2 billion CFU of bifidobacterium lactis BL-04. Upon a quick google search, BL-04 also helps with the immune system, specifically fighting against the common cold. I did not even have a sniffle during the past month, so this could have helped in that aspect.. although I rarely do get sick.

Amazon has this for $32.50 and it is eligible for free shipping with Prime. For an organic, soy-free, added probiotics, predominately whey isolate protein powder, the price is not too bad. I know there are only 20 servings, but each one comes out to $1.63 per serving. Yes, that is more than other proteins out there, but the quality of this protein is a lot better than most you will find.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Good protein to consider if natural, organic proteins are your thing. I know this does not appeal to most of the market, but there has to be other people that care about organic proteins.

Thanks to Wildflower for sending it out!
  January 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Calming And Soothing Feel
  • Cool Looking Vape Pen
  • Help Relieve Bothersome Aches And Pains
  • No THC
  • Pleasant Aroma Vapor
  • Kind Of Expensive
  • Not Refillable

Cold weather always brings extra joint pain for me and I have read a lot lately about all the benefits of CBD oil, so when the rep for Wildflower assured us that no THC was present in this, I decided to claim it.

In the pen, there is the 500 mg of CBD oil (containing 150 mg of CBD), mint and rosemary essential oils, and other ingredients to keep the oil from freezing or separating. The CBD is extracted via CO2 and there should be no THC present. The pen itself is a small, blueish-green pen, similar to an e-cigarette, and illuminates whenever you are inhaling from it. There is also a clear window on the pen indicating how much oil is left in the pen. The pen is small enough to fit in your pocket, so it is easy enough to take with you anywhere.

Taste/Dosing

Taste/Aroma: I actually really enjoyed the taste and aroma that were present with Wildflower's Aches pen. It had a minty flavor and smell whenever inhaled and it actually had a slight smell resembling cannabis.

Dosing: According to the website, each draw from the pen results in 2 mg of CBD oil and there is 150 mg of CBD total in the pen. I normally had it after my workout and right before bed. Occasionally I would have an extra draw or two if I felt more sore.

CBD is gaining a lot of popularity over the past few years from people other than those who smoke marijuana. It has many medical benefits and can provide relief for many different symptoms and can also provide a calming and relaxing feel. I did enjoy using the Aches CBD pen because it did bring a calmness over me and allowed me to relax not long after inhaling. I especially appreciated that aspect right before bed.

After my workouts and my post workout smoothie, I would inhale from the pen and within maybe 20-30 minutes, I felt some of the soreness and aches from my workout start to dissipate. It would not totally reduce DOMS, but it worked well enough to let me know it was helping a bit.

I actually think my favorite part of the pen was the taste and aroma from it.

This is where I would have a hard time purchasing it in the future. I think the biggest drawback is that the pen is not refillable (to my knowledge). It does not appear to break down where you would just refill the cbd oil and use it again. I also do not see anything on their website stating if you can refill it or not. I think that will bring the price down in the long run (maybe not initially because the pen would probably cost more to manufacture). I would think that purchasing just the oil would be cheaper than purchasing the whole pen again.

Anyway, the pen cost about $60 and anything over $50 on their website provides free shipping. You could get anywhere between a couple weeks to a couple months' worth of CBD, depending on how often you used it. Looking online, CBD capsules can be found cheaper than the Ache pen, so that has to be taken into account. Of course you would not really experience the taste or smell of the CBD and terpenes from inhaling the pen, but that is all up to the user.

Side Effects

I did not experience any negative side effects.

Conclusion

I really did enjoy my experience with Wildflowers' Ache pen, but the cost may be prohibitive to run at the end of the day. This may be one of those things that if you have some extra money, you can enjoy it. Thank you Wildflower for the opportunity to try this.

Overall
Thanks to The Genius Brand for sending it out!
  January 2, 2018

• No Other Flavors
  • No Larger Size Tub

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

Genius Protein is a blended protein consisting of two high quality forms of protein: whey isolate and micellar casein. Blended proteins are cool because they can be taken whenever and have different rates of absorption. You can use it first thing in the morning, snack, post-workout, pre-bed, etc. On days that I worked out, I would use one serving about a half hour post-workout. On days that I did not train, I used this sometime in the afternoon as a snack to hold me over until dinner. In each serving, there is 24 g of protein: 12 g of whey isolate and 12 g of micellar casein. It contains 110 calories, less than a gram of fat, and 3.5 g of carbs (2.5 being sugar). Very nice looking profile and I liked that it was naturally sweetened with cane sugar and Stevia as well as not containing soy lecithin.

Taste 7/10: I received the chocolate flavor and thought it was pretty good. It was light on the chocolate flavor and had a bit of the bitter aftertaste from the Stevia. I used it strictly in water. It was not the most enjoyable protein I have had, but definitely tolerable.

Mixability 7/10: This protein mixed up pretty well aside from some initial foam and foam left over after using a shaker cup. I actually preferred the cup and spoon method with this protein because of all the foam I was getting. It was not that thick of a shake either, which was kind of surprising considering half of it was casein.

Dosing: This is a protein when you can basically take at anytime. As stated earlier, I used this about a half hour after my workouts because I used another whey protein immediately after my workout and as a snack on off days.

This powder provided me with 24 g of protein to help me increase my protein intake for the day. It provided my muscles with fuel after working out and kept me full until dinner. It was fairly satiating and a much better option than just a plain whey isolate or even concentrate in that regard. It was not the best tasting protein I have had as stated earlier, but it never upset my stomach and seemed to digest just fine.

It appears this is sold at $38 through Amazon. At 30 servings, it comes out to about $1.27 a serving. This is a fair price for what you are getting. I have only had one other protein blend in the past that uses a whey isolate and micellar casein if I remember correctly and that was NutraBio's Muscle Matrix. Genius protein is cheaper and it is naturally flavored on top of it. A couple drawbacks are that Genius Protein is neither widely available at this point nor do they offer a larger size tub at this point.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I enjoyed this protein and appreciate the quality in here. Definitely recommend if you are looking for a blended protein. Thank you Genius Brand for sending it out!