JayT

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by JayT

June 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Vegan
  • Non-GMO
  • Naturally Flavored And Sweetened
  • Decent Taste
  • No Scooper

Affordable greens supplement that does not taste like pure grass.

Was shopping on bodybuilding.com a few months back when I got a notification that Kaged's testosterone booster was on sale. I needed to purchase something else for free shipping (always gets me), so I found this on a sale as well. Profile looked decent so I decided to try it out.

Affordable greens supplement that does not taste like pure grass.

This profile is not too over-the-top like you may see with some other greens supplements, but it is still a decent profile that uses many patented ingredients. One scoop (did not have one in my bag) provides 25 calories, 11 g of carbs (9 g fiber), and 1 g of protein. For the ingredients, you have the prebiotic fiber blend at 9 g. This is more than a third of your recommended daily intake, so that is really nice to have; especially if you are following a low carb or keto type diet (2 g net carbs per scoop). That blend contains acacia gum, pea fiber, Jerusalem artichoke, oat fiber, blue agave inulin, apple peel, and flax seed. Next is a green superfood blend at 2.5 g containing spirulina, broccoli, kale, and chlorella. I think you all should know by now the benefits of these four foods. Thirdly is PACran, a patented form of cranberry fruit extract at 500 mg to support urinary tract health. You have most likely heard that cranberry juice helps fight UTIs in the past. There is Sunphenon 90D at 300 mg which is a patented (caffeine free) form of green tea leaf extract. Green tea is good as an antioxidant, fighting against free radicals. 200 mg of milk thistle fruit extract is included which provides liver support. Finally there are 100 mg of lemon fruit and 10 mg of cayenne pepper fruit included, which usually benefits digestion.

Taste 7/10: Only see one flavor available currently which is watermelon berry. I did not try this on its own, I only mixed this in with my post workout smoothie, so of course that will affect how it tastes. However, it did not make my smoothie taste gross and I actually really enjoyed the bitterness from the greens to complement the sweet fruits I put in my smoothie. You could tell that this was a little sweeter than your average pure greens supplement due to the addition of Stevia and the natural flavors.

Mixability: Basically a NA since I only used it with a blender in a smoothie post workout.

Dosing: Mix one scoop (again, never had a scoop included; had to use an old scooper from a BCAA product that had a similar measurement) in your favorite beverage.

I usually prefer greens supplements over multi-vitamins because I believe that they are absorbed better by the body and are usually in more of a natural state. I think that the profile was pretty interesting and effective providing my body with different super foods to keep it running smoothly. Fiber is usually something that many Americans do not consume enough of and there is a nice amount contained in here. I really like how it is vegan, non-GMO, uses patented ingredients, and naturally flavored and sweetened. It is also a good idea to have it a fruit flavor rather than your normal greens product that is just too bitter to be palatable. I did not have any problems consuming this multiple times a week and it tasted great when mixed with fruit and unflavored protein powder in a smoothie.

I originally bought it on sale from bodybuilding for $18 for 30 servings. That came out to $0.60 a serving. They are currently running a deal that has this priced at $15 for 30 servings, which is obviously even better. I think that is a good value either way. It looks like it is normally about $1 per serving, which still is not even too bad.

Side Effects

Fiber content could be too much for some people (9 g per serving). I did not experience any problems from it, though.

Conclusion

Definitely would recommend picking this up if you are looking for an affordable greens product that does not taste like dirt. Currently at $0.50 a serving, I cannot see how you can go wrong unless you just cannot stand the taste of anything with a hint of vegetable taste to it. Really the only bad thing I can say about this for what you are expecting to receive from a greens supplement is that it did not come with a scooper. That could have been a one-time mistake or maybe the whole batch did not receive it or something, but I am sure you should have a comparable scooper somewhere at home if that is the case.

June 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Non-GMO
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Uses Both BCAAEAA Blend
  • Reduces Cramping
  • No Proprietary Blends
  • Great Profile
  • May Be Expensive For Budget Minded Consumers

An intra powerhouse that does not contain anything artificial. My kind of supplement.

I tried NutraBio's IntraBlast a few years back through this program and have not found anything that has come close to the effectiveness of this to take intra workout. I have purchased this numerous times in the past, but recently stopped using the regular version because I did not like that it contained the artificial sugars that I have tried to stay away from. Thankfully, NutraBio has released a line that uses all natural ingredients and I am really excited that they did. Over the past few months, I have been slowly cutting working out sometimes twice a day. Usually been going to the gym at least six times a week while doing kickboxing three-four times a week. Occasionally I will throw in some type of cardio.

This thing is loaded. To start, you are getting 7.4 g of BCAAs just over a 2:1:1 ratio. Not sure of the reasoning behind going with this ratio, but it includes 200 mg more leucine than the original Intra Blast, so I will not complain there. Not only do you receive over 7 g of BCAAs, but then you are also getting the remaining six EAAs that your body cannot produce on its own and need to receive through diet (or supplements). Then you get 5 g of glutamine that can also aid in muscle recovery. Next you get 2 g of betaine which is normally found in pre-workouts. This ingredient helps with strength output. You also get 1 g of OKG that could also help with recovery. Finally you have 2.8 g of electrolytes to help you stay hydrated and fight off cramps. Included within this section is 2 g of taurine, which is a very nice dosage.

I really like everything that is included in here. I really do not have any complaints about this supplement. I love how NutraBio went all natural substituting Stevia and cane sugar for the previous version of Sucralose and ace-k. They do not use artificial colors and this product is Non-GMO so I appreciate them not using genetically modified soy or corn to source their vegan BCAAs.

Taste 8/10: Requested and received the kiwi strawberry flavor and it was pretty good. It was pretty light to me, but that is probably because I used more water than it called for. I usually just fill up a shaker bottle full of water which is usually 24+ oz. You probably will get a stronger flavor the less water you use. I also tried the sweet tea flavor as a sample, and that was okay. I am not really an iced tea guy, so that is why I did not go with that one.

Mixability 7/10: Slight foaming in the initially, but that is pretty common with BCAA products. The foaming usually settled within a few minutes. There was also a little settling at the bottom over time, but that was fixed with a little swirl before sipping. The settling could be due to the cane sugar. I have used cane sugar before in coffee and it hardly ever mixes properly.

Dosing: Basically you can use this wherever you see fit or when you need some extra hydration. They recommend 12-16 ounces of water, but like I said, I usually use 24 in all my intra workout supplements.

Intra Blast has been one of my favorite supplements for a while. It allows you to improve your recovery times between workouts as well as times between sets. Like I said earlier, I have been working out multiple times a week and keeping my rest times between sets under a minute long. While taking Intra Blast, I had minimal soreness and was able to start my next set in a minute or less.

My strength was pretty consistent throughout the course of taking this supplement while eating a pretty restrictive diet. I am really adamant about losing weight this summer and although I did not increase my strength too much, I did not really lose any strength in any major movements.

Hydration is by far my favorite aspect of this supplement. I rarely ever cramped up which is amazing with the amount of time I have spent working out over the past month. I am living away from home for the summer due to a summer job and really the only thing I can do down here is workout. I have gotten cramps in the past as it has gotten warmer and my gym time increased, but I do not recall too many times cramping up while using Intra Blast.

*For disclosure purposes, I have to write that for the majority of the time using Intra Blast, I also incorporated 2 g of NutraBio's beta-alanine in my drink and I am telling you, I could workout for two hours a day easily. The endurance that those two supplements provided me was outstanding.

About $40 at a few different sites. You get 30 servings in a tub of high-quality, natural ingredients. I think that is a fair price and do not mind spending this much for a month's supply. I did not use this on off days, so it could be extended if you only use it on training days. You are paying $1.33 per serving, which I do not think is a bad price at all. Some intra workout supplements cost $1 per serving with 5g of BCAAs and maybe a few extras thrown in. They also usually use artificial and lower quality ingredients. I do not think you can complain about this price too much.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Definitely will be a staple for me going forward. I absolutely recommend this supplement and cannot see how you will be disappointed unless you care too much about taste. Even with the usual bitterness of the Stevia, they balanced it out nicely with the sweetness from the cane sugar in my opinion. I think the addition of the beta alanine just sets this apart from anything else out there right now and I am unsure if anything even comes close to this for the price.

May 23, 2018

• Carnosyn
  • Gmp And Fda Inspected
  • No Other Ingredients
  • Parasthesia

Lone ingredient supplement that aids in the reduction of fatigue.

Introduction/Ingredient Profile

Lone ingredient supplement that aids in the reduction of fatigue.

Introduction/Ingredient Profile

Most of us have supplemented with beta alanine at some point if you have ever used a pre workout. Over the last few months, I have tried to slowly cut weight by running more and focusing on more endurance based workouts. I have kept rest times short and have usually worked in a 10-12 rep range. I figured claiming some beta alanine would benefit me. Here we have a single ingredient of CarnoSyn beta alanine. There is nothing else contained in here, not even any flavors or colors or anything like that. Each scoop contains 2 g of CarnoSyn. 3.2 g of CarnoSyn beta alanine is the effective dose to reduce muscular fatigue and improve endurance.

Taste: Does not really have much taste. It is slightly sweet and it does not really alter the taste of the drink that you mix it in.

Mixability: There may be some slight settling if you let it sit for a while since it is naturally on the grittier side. Usually just swirling it around will help mix it a bit.

Dosing: NutraBio suggest taking 1-3 servings per day around your workout after assessing your tolerance. They do not recommend adding a scoop to a supplement that already contains beta alanine. Since my pre-workout contained beta alanine, I chose to use a scoop in my intra workout since more and more studies suggest splitting up beta alanine dosages works best.

I think that this was effective in helping me become less fatigued in the exercises where I used a higher rep range. It allowed me to be ready to go to my next set within 30-45 seconds. That is where I tried to keep my rest times and I was normally able to keep it that way. Obviously walking around the gym to a new spot for a different exercise kind of hindered the rest time, but I would have been able to perform the next set if everything was in front of me. This also slightly helped me with cardio. Since I may have to go into a second academy since I will be switching departments, I have been running outside more. Supplementing with beta alanine slightly delayed how tired my muscles became while running long distances.

Going for about $32 on sites like bodybuilding and Suppz for 180 servings. At 2 g per scoop, a serving comes out to being about $0.18 per serving. This is pretty cheap, but there are other brands of CarnoSyn sold for slightly cheaper. CarnoSyn is a trademarked ingredient, so you should be getting the same product from all brands. I guess there is the possibility of impurities being present in the bottling process with other brands that use an unclean environment, but with NutraBio, being a GMP facility and having their products third party tested, that will not be the case with them.

Side Effects

Tingling, which is expected with beta alanine products. Sensation usually goes away shortly and will become less noticeable over extended, consistent use.

Conclusion

Not much to say for a single ingredient supplement except that it helps in endurance. This is a supplement that you can run year round without cycling off and NutraBio offers it cheap enough for you to be able to do so. Yeah, there are slightly cheaper options, but you are getting a patented ingredient with no impurities. Thank you NutraBio for sending it out.

Thanks to Acropolis Nutrition for sending it out!
  May 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Pump
  • High-quality Ingredients
  • Foamy
  • Average Taste
  • Bit Expensive

Well-rounded, natural pre-workout.
Is on the expensive side.

This looked like an interesting, natural pre-workout from a newer company so I decided to claim a tub. Thank you to Acropolis Nutrition for sending it out.

Well-rounded, natural pre-workout.
Is on the expensive side.

This is a pretty straight-forward ingredient profile that does not use too many exotic stimulants or anything like that to be effective. I like profiles like this because it usually ends up being a well-rounded pre-workout with clean energy. It does not make you feel sick or super jittery. This is fully disclosed label with a lot of patented ingredients. It is broken down into three complexes: the first is the pump/nitric oxide complex with 7 g of fermented citrulline malate, 500 mg of beet root extract, and 300 mg of norvaline. Next is the strength/performance complex with 3 g of CarnoSyn beta alanine, 2 g of BetaPower betaine, and 2 g of creatine HCl. There is the energy/focus complex consisting of 1.5 g of taurine, 1.5 g of tyrosine, 300 mg of PurCaf caffeine, and 300 mg of theanine. Also added is 3 g of fermented BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. I would have liked to see some BioPerine in here to help with the absorption of these ingredients. That ingredient has mostly become a staple in the pre-workout supplements I have taken recently, so I think it would benefit the profile a bit. I think this profile is pretty similar to my favorite pre-workout supplement, which is Pre-Kaged.

Taste 6/10: Received the berry lemonade flavor which I believe is their only flavor available at this time. I was not too impressed with the flavor, but pre-workouts are usually the hardest supplements to flavor especially when they use BCAAs, citrulline malate, beet root, etc. You also have to remember that they went in the natural direction, which I always appreciate, but that does usually hurt the flavor a bit. I will take naturally flavored supplements over delicious supplements all day though, but that is just me. I noticed that the rep commented on the previous reviewer's review and states that they are working on a new flavor. I would be interested in trying that one out in the future.

Mixability 6/10: I experienced heavy foaming when shaken in a bottle. Swirling it around reduced the foam for the most part.

Dosing: They suggest starting with 1/2 scoop and then working up to 1 scoop. They state to use 12-16 oz of cold water and drink 30 minutes prior to working out.

I liked the energy that this provided. 300 mg of caffeine is on the higher side for me so I did not have any complaints about the amount of caffeine present in here. I was able to get through my workouts and have plenty of energy after them with no crashing. My workouts have been usually around 45 minutes or so. The 3 g of beta alanine gave me the tingles almost every workout and it allowed me to have the endurance to get through sets of 10+ reps with less than a minute rest in between sets. I liked the combination of the betaine and creatine HCl; it provided me with pretty nice strength gains although that is not something that I have been training for recently.

I received a decent amount of focus due the tyrosine and theanine, but I think this is the area that could be improved on possibly. I am not saying that this aspect was a complete dud, but if that tunnel vision is something that you look for, this may not be the supplement for you. However, I kind of expected that knowing prior to claiming it that there were not those exotic stims that could provide that.

The best category of Pre-Historic in my opinion is the pump it delivered. 7 g of citrulline malate is a nice dosage and I have normally been a responder to CM. It provided me with a dry, vascular pump; it was not one of those dense, painful pumps that you would normally experience with ingredients like HydroMax. However, the vascular type pumps are the ones I prefer. The pumps could have also been due to the style of training I have been doing which is more hypertrophy training with shorter rest times, but I am sure the CM and beet root helped in some way.

Going for about $38 on their website for 20 servings. That comes out to $1.90 a serving, which you probably will not see too many pre-workouts priced much more expensive than that. Of course this has to do with that it uses natural ingredients, patented ingredients at effective dosages, as well as the fact that this is a newer company. Hopefully over time the price can come down a bit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a good pre-workout that I would recommend if you are into natural supplements or looking for a well-rounded pre-workout. The taste may need a bit of work to it or hopefully other flavors are released as hinted by the rep of the company. Thank you again Acropolis Nutrition for sending it to me to try out.

April 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Patented Ingredients
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Disappointing Effectiveness

New test booster from one of my favorite companies.

This was a fairly hyped supplement from Kaged Muscle that was just released the end of February. I am a fan of Kaged supplements and I saw a deal on bodybuilding.com for this, so I decided to purchase a bottle. I am currently cutting right now and going to the gym about 5 times a week.

This profile is stacked with patented ingredients that are said to help naturally boost your testosterone levels.

OptiZinc - According to InterHealth, the maker or OptiZ...

New test booster from one of my favorite companies.

OptiZinc - According to InterHealth, the maker or OptiZinc, zinc monomethionine (the zinc that is included in Ferodrox) is zinc paired with the amino acid methionine. They state that this is 20% zinc and absorbs better than zinc sulfate. Examine.com states that zinc is one of the 24 micronutrients needed for survival. Athletes and those who follow strict diets can be deficient in zinc. Zinc is said to raise testosterone levels, but only if the user is already deficient in zinc. A high dosage is considered to be anywhere from 25-45 mg. Ferodrox contains 30 mg.

KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract - 600 mg per serving. Ashwagandha is best known for reducing cortisol levels. It is said to also help athletic performance and virility. 600 mg is a common dosage of KSM-66 in supplements.

LJ100 Eurycoma Longifolia Root Extract - 200 mg. Patented form of Tongkat Ali/LongJack. HP, maker of LJ100, gives a long list of all their claimed benefits of this extract on their site. They say it helps sports and endurance, sex and libido, weight loss and mood, and healthy aging. Under these topics, they claim it helps testosterone levels, promoting an anabolic environment, reduces cortisol, increases libido, improves mood among many, many others. However, Examine states that there is not solid research backing testosterone boosting. They do however suggest that this extract increases libido levels.

PrimaVie - 200 mg. Patented form of Shilajit. Natreon, maker of PrimaVie, states that this complex supports male sexual health, increases endurance and fitness levels, and is a mitochondrial energy booster. Natreon provides a certain process to remove most of the heavy metals that are normally contained in shilajit. Examine does not really give any research or a summary of this ingredient.

Diindolylmethane - 120 mg. Micropure form of this ingredient, more well known as DIM, that is found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli. It is said to be a promising anti-estrogenic ingredient.

BioPerine - 10 mg. Common ingredient that can help absorption of all the other ingredients.

All in all, these are high-quality ingredients that are found in many other natural test boosting products. The dosages are well within the ranges of studied dosages, especially since they are all patented forms. The capsules are vegetarian and are supposed to be delivered as a delayed release. The capsules are supposed to bypass your stomach and all the ingredients are supposed to be absorbed by the small intestines.

Instructions state to take two capsules in the morning or one in the morning, one in the evening. I dosed it two capsules in the morning for my convenience.

I will start by saying I did not have any tests run prior, during, or after running one bottle of this. With that being said, I was pretty disappointed with the apparent effectiveness of this product despite the patented ingredients. I think the best aspect of this product was that libido was slightly improved, which I noticed about a week after taking this. I also saw a little increase in vascularity in my arms, but I was also intentionally cutting, so that could have been part of the reason as well.

I have had other products that have increased both libido and vascularity more. I really did not see anything else that would tell me that this product was working. I have not had issues with acne in years, but I did not even have a pimple during my month run with this. Usually a few pimples are almost expected with test boosters. I was not necessarily training for strength, but nothing really gave me a solid indication that this helped in that aspect. I do not think my endurance was increased much more either. My recovery also was not expedited in anyway.

It is possible that my goals and age (27) were not the best indicators of the effectiveness of this product, but I have had some pretty good experiences in the past with natural test boosters with similar ingredients. It also could be more effective if it was ran for a full eight week cycle, which is more common with natural test boosters, but it was too expensive for me to do that. With that in mind, it should be noted that nowhere on the label states to stop consumption after eight weeks followed by a four week break that is normal with other similar products. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Normally, this is selling for $60 for 30 servings (60 capsules). I saw a 25% off discount on bodybuilding.com a while ago, so I thought it was a good time to purchase a bottle. After the 25% off discount, I was able to get this for $45. For the ingredients that are contained in Ferodrox, $45 is a decent price for a month run, but $60 is just too expensive for me to consider running this. Normal price places this at $2 a serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you can catch this on sale and think you would benefit from these patented ingredients, I think it could be worth it. However, at full price, I think there are other products that are just as, if not more effective. Of course, you are getting pure ingredients in here, so all that should be taking in consideration.

April 5, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Organic
  • Vegan
  • No Soy
  • Fruit And Veggie Blend
  • Probiotics
  • Natural
  • Good Source Of Fiber
  • Gritty Texture

I have been a vegan since the new year and have been trying to cut some weight. On a vegan diet, supplementing protein is especially important, so I have been looking for a lot of different proteins to try. I came across this one food shopping at BJs. It looked pretty impressive for the price, so I picked up a few containers of it.

From an ingredient standpoint, I think this is pretty impressive for a plant based protein. There is a lot to like about this protein. It contains 130 calories, 2 g of fat, 9 g of carbs (7 g of fiber, 2 g sugar), and 20 g of protein from pea and brown rice. Also included is an organic fruit and veggie blend that contains alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, flaxseed, and blueberry. Not sure how much is included of each exactly, but it probably is not that much due to it being listed after cane sugar in the ingredient panel and there is only 2 g of sugar total. Additionally, there is the digestive enzyme/probiotic blend of papain and LactoSpore. This is all naturally sweetened and does not contain anything artificial. Another cool thing about this profile is that it contains 40% of your daily iron intake per scoop.

Taste 6/10: I only saw the French vanilla flavor at BJs, so that is what I was able to try. It had a decent vanilla flavor, but it also had a bit of a bitterness from the veggie blend I guess. I did not mind drinking it. However, I would question the "amazing taste" that is written on the bottom of the tub. You can also try this in decadent chocolate

Mixability 6/10: Another 6 rating here because this is pretty gritty. It is not a smooth texture like a good whey would be. It also settles a bit on the bottom that needs to be shaken up a bit if you do not drink it right away.

Dosing: Standard mix a scoop into about 10 ounces of water or another beverage.

I used this just about daily to get some more protein into my diet. I usually used this with dinner as I had another protein powder for post workout. I tried mixing this in my oatmeal once and did not care for the taste at all, so I only ever mixed this in water after that. I am sure if I mixed it in almond milk or something, it would probably taste better, but I did not mind the taste in water too much. This protein actually kept me full for a good period of time too; it kept me full more than whey when I used to take it. I did not have any stomach discomfort with this either.

I got this for a steal at BJs for about $15. This was also a special 33% larger tub (2 pounds) for some reason, so I got 25 servings in each tub. That is $0.60 a serving. I only saw that same size online on Sam's Club's website for $20 though. Then you may also have to pay for shipping on that site. On Amazon it can be purchased at its normal size (19 servings) for $18.99. So right around the $1 a serving mark. I do not think that is a bad price for an organic plant based protein that contains a fruit and veggie blend and digestive enzyme/probiotic blend.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I would recommend this if you are into plant based powders. For anyone else, if you find it at the discounted price that I was able to, I would strongly suggest trying it out. At less than $1 a serving, I think this is a really good deal.

March 29, 2018

• Gluten Free
  • Soy Free
  • Convenient
  • Satisfying
  • Protein Not First Ingredient

Garden of Life has been a company I have been using a lot of lately. I like the ingredients that GoL uses and the price is not too crazy for the quality that they use.

This is another plant based product from Garden of Life. Depending on the flavor you choose, you are looking at about 280 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 34 g carbs (10 g fiber, 8 g sugar), and 20 g protein. The protein is sourced mostly from pea protein, but almond butter, sprouted rice protein, and peanuts also add to the protein content. With GoL, you are getting an organic bar, no soy/gluten, certified third party testing, and no GMOs. This bar is also vegan so it could appeal to almost anyone no matter what diet you are following. The only thing I did not really like about the ingredients was that tapioca was listed as the first ingredient, but I know that is where a lot of the fiber and sugar comes from, so it is not that big of a deal.

Taste/Texture

Taste: I usually grab these while at work and I have only seen and tried the peanut butter chocolate and chocolate fudge flavors. They also offer a chocolate mint and sea salt caramel flavor. I normally do not care for mint flavored foods, but I love caramel and I am thinking of picking up a box of them next time I order something online. I would say that the peanut butter chocolate was a 7/10 and the chocolate fudge was an 8/10. The bar contained both a peanut butter and fudge taste in their respective flavors. The bars were not overly sweet, which is a plus for me. I hate bars that just throw a whole bunch of sweeteners in them to get you to eat it.

Texture: These were soft/chewy bars and the little bit of texture comes from the crisps and some chopped peanuts in the peanut butter flavor.

Obviously with a protein bar, you normally get these for the convenience factor of them. Since I have been working at Whole Foods the past few months, I have been grabbing these occasionally when I close since the new year began. I normally do not feel like preparing a dinner when I work for the night, so I will grab one or two of these to have on my break at work. They are fairly calorie dense and they contain a pretty good amount of all three macros, so I think this could be considered between a snack and a meal replacement as I do not think it really falls into either category. This is a nice size bar, so it will keep you satisfied for at least a couple hours. I did not experience any trouble digestion wise with them. They do contain a good amount of fiber, so it may bother some people in that aspect.

A box of 12 of these is running right around $24 on many different sites. At $2 a bar, it is not too bad of a price. Many other bars that use lesser quality ingredients are priced at this mark and some may be even more, so I am willing to pay this price.

Conclusion

Another product from Garden of Life that I enjoy. I really like the quality of ingredients in this bar and the price is not too bad for what you are getting. I would definitely recommend these bars to buy and obviously especially if you follow a vegan diet.

March 6, 2018

• Gluten Free
  • Added Probiotics
  • Soy Free
  • Slightly Gritty Texture
  • Pricier Than Some Whey Proteins

As I have switched to more of a plant based diet since the new year, I have been looking for different proteins to try out. I previously have tried Garden of Life's Whey protein sport, so I decided to try out their plant-based protein.

This has a pretty decent macro profile. Per one scoop, you get 85 calories, 1.5 g fat, 4 g carbs (2 g fiber, less than 1 g sugar), and 15 g of protein. They give the macros for two scoops as well, which obviously everything is doubled. Garden of Life used mostly legumes as their sources of protein (pea, sprouted navy bean, sprouted lentil bean, sprouted garbanzo bean) and finally cranberry seed. The flavors in this protein (chocolate) included cacao, carob (bean similar tasting to chocolate, used as a vegan substitute in many chocolate recipes), chocolate flavor, vanilla flavor, sea salt, Stevia. It contains a "muscle recovery blend" that uses apple, tart cherry, turmeric, blueberry, and goji berry. It is a blend, so I am not sure how much of each are included. Finally there is a probiotic strand of Bl-04 containing 2 billion CFU. This protein is certified vegan, gluten free, soy free, and organic/non-GMO.

Taste 7/10: I thought this tasted pretty good for being vegan, naturally flavored, and sweetened with Stevia. I usually mixed it in water, although occasionally I mixed it in almond milk. Usually used 12-16 ounces of water or 8 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Mixability 8/10: This mixed very well; never had any settling, floating, or clumping while using a shaker bottle. It did have a bit of the gritty taste that is common among plant based powders, but I have had worse.

Dosing: I usually used this as a snack if I wanted a bit more protein for the day. A lot of times I used a heaping scoop to try and get closer to 20 g of protein.

I enjoyed the taste of this protein. Like I said I used it occasionally as a snack if I felt I needed some more protein throughout the day. I really like the quality of the ingredients and it did not cause any digestive problems. The probiotics were a nice addition as well. According to the label, two scoops yields 5.5 g of BCAAs and 5 g of glutamine and glutamic acid which is pretty comparable to many whey proteins available. I do not know if I noticed much from the "muscle recovery blend," but I would like to think that it had some purpose. Would really like to know how much of each of those ingredients were even included.

I found this on Amazon for $38.47 for the chocolate flavor and oddly the vanilla flavor is almost $3 cheaper at $35.54. Not sure of the reasoning behind that since the only difference are the flavors. I know carob is pretty pricey, but I doubt that there would be enough in here to warrant a $3 difference in prices. Anyway, per scoop (38 scoops in a 2 pound jug) equals just over $1 a scoop. If you opt for the vanilla, you can get it for $0.94 a scoop. I did mention that I used a heaping scoop or even sometimes 1.5 scoops, so that can affect the value if you are looking for a protein powder that contains the more common ~24 g per serving. You do have to take into consideration the ingredients, quality, added probiotics etc.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Good option in my opinion to those looking for a non-dairy source of protein. I would recommend it based on the quality and ability to buy it at a decent price on Amazon.

Overall
Thanks to The Genius Brand for sending it out!
  February 22, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Endurance
  • Helps Strength
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Natural
  • Expensive In Comparison To Bulk Monohydrate
  • Settling At Bottom Of Shaker

This will be my second review from Genius as I have previously tried their protein blend and I have quickly become a fan of theirs. They are completely natural and use high quality ingredients in their products which I truly appreciate.

One scoop contains 3 g of Creapure creatine mono, 1.6 g of CarnoSyn beta-alanine, 1.5 g of creatine HCl, 500 mg of creatine MagnaPower, and 25 mg of AstraGin. So you have three forms of arguably the most effective creatine, an endurance aid, and an absorption aid. Four out of the five active ingredients are trademark so you know there are no impurities or fillers that are possible to ingest through lower quality ingredients. The fifth ingredient that is not trademarked (creatine HCl) does not even have a trademarked form to my knowledge, so no harm there. The ingredients alone are underdosed, but as a blend I thought they worked fine.

As far as inactive ingredients, I really liked how they used Stevia and monk fruit as sweeteners, natural flavors, and avocado extract for a color. I have not seen avocado being used for color so I thought that was cool. Whenever a company goes the natural route, it usually earns big points with me.

Taste 10/10: I received the apple flavor and it was very good in my opinion. It was not too sweet or overpowering, but it was extremely refreshing. They nailed it, especially using natural ingredients. Normally when using Stevia it leads to a bitter aftertaste, but they masked that somehow. Great job here.

Mixability 5/10: Unfortunately as great as the taste was, the mixability suffered. There was no foaming at all, but it left a heavy sediment at the bottom of the shaker bottle. The sediment was very gritty and slightly sweet, so I am guessing it was the CarnoSyn.

Dosing 10/10: Recommended to take one scoop in 8 oz. of water anytime after your workout. Since I was not taking a pre-workout, I opted to take it before training since it contained beta-alanine and creatine obviously; so I used it as a non-stim pre-workout.

Since I kept my supplements to a bare minimum these past couple months, I think I have a good understanding of how effective this product was. Although I was not necessarily strength training, I started bringing my numbers back up to close to where they were when I was in my best shape. I have been in a caloric deficit and have been fairly active yet I was improving in many areas strength wise. I was doing more circuit style training and a lot more supersets and felt like I had pretty good endurance. I never really noticed anything that improved my pumps, but I do not think creatine is best suited for that. I never received any crazy pumps from purely creatine. I also did not notice an increase in recovery, but since I did not try this out post-workout, I am not going to take off for that. I would really like to try this out with their pre-workout and see how effective that combo is.

You can find this on Amazon for $30 for 25 servings. A bit expensive if you are judging it from a creatine standpoint, but the ingredients are high quality and it is a natural product. Each serving is $1.20, but you are getting a solid product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Really enjoyed this product and I have really become a fan of this company. I definitely recommend this product and I will look to try other products from them in the future. Thank you Genius for sending this out.

January 17, 2018

• Purity
  • Label Transparency
  • No Prop Blends
  • Increased Recovery
  • Actually Is Tasteless
  • Needs Creapure.

Here we have another review coming from one of my favorite companies in NutraBio. I have had good results with many of their products, and this one was no exception.

CGT-Max uses three fairly common ingredients in creatine, glutamine, and taurine. They include creatine monohydrate at 4.2 g and creatine MagnaPower at 833 mg for a total of 5 g of creatine. NutraBio uses Kyowa Glutamine which is naturally fermented glutamine from plants at 4 g. Finally they include 2 g of taurine. As you can see, this is an extremely simple profile, but ingredients that we have all taken before. Most of the time, they can be found in pre or post workout drinks and for most of us, the ingredients provide good results. The only thing that would make this profile better is if CreaPure was used instead of plain monohydrate.

Taste: I requested and received the unflavored version and it was truly unflavored. Never altered the taste of anything I mixed it with and was just about undetectable in water.

Mixability 9/10: This mixed up fine; only some minor settling at the bottom of the shaker cup.

Dosing 10/10: Suggested use is take one serving mixed into 16 oz. of a beverage of your choice two times daily. On training days, I dosed mine pre and post workout and on off days, I just took one serving in the morning because I felt like I did not need two servings if I was not working out.

I thought that this product was effective for the ingredients included in here. I used both doses peri-workout, because I felt that the creatine would be best utilized in this way, the taurine would help taking it pre-workout, and the glutamine taken post-workout. I noticed that my endurance was slightly better. I have not been as active in the gym lately as I was in the beginning of the year and the summer and I am really trying to get back to where I was. My strength and endurance has been down and this was a nice boost to get me going again. The taurnine provided some nice hydration and provided decent pumps in combination with the creatine. The glutamine/creatine combo enhanced my recovery times a bit. I do not think this was a miracle supplement, but you cannot really expect that with these ingredients. At the end of the day, CGT-Max met my expectations and did not leave me disappointed in that regard.

This is being sold for just about $20 on Amazon and includes shipping for free with Prime. This comes out to $0.50 per serving (remember directions call for two scoops a day), so it is a pretty good value. You are getting two trademarked ingredients in this product and nothing that you do not need. Dosing it the way I did, I believe that it lasted me just under a month.

Side Effects

Nothing for me.

Conclusion

I think that this is a good product, and priced fairly enough where it can be a staple supplement. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone looking for a creatine blend. Thank you NutraBio for sending it out.