JayT

• Member has been active for 8 years, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by JayT

Overall
Thanks to BN Labs for sending it out!
  October 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Protein Per Serving
  • Organic Ingredients
  • No Soy

I have tried a few plant based proteins in the past, but never stuck with them since whey is almost always cheaper. Now, I am kind of toying with the idea of going vegetarian and cutting out any meat products and dairy. Over the past couple years, I have drastically cut down on my meat and milk consumption and I am really considering cutting them out completely from my diet.

BNLabs has created a fully organic, plant based protein without the inclusion of soy. Many plant based proteins today include soy, which I am not a fan of at all. I have jumped on the organic trend probably three years ago, so I liked that this is fully organic and certified by a third party. Supplements are probably the only thing I do not consume organic and that is just because there really is not a big market for organic supplements. That is why I have tried to stay away from products with low-quality/artificial ingredients and fillers. What I like most about this protein is that it contains 27g of protein per scoop. That is more than just about every other dairy-based protein that I have tried over the years. A big knock on plant based proteins is that they do not have a good amino profile or are not a complete protein. Well BNLabs uses four types of vegan protein sources (pea, brown rice, hemp, spirullina) to give a nice amino profile. It is a bit higher in calories and fat content than a good whey protein, but that is not really a big deal to me.

Taste 6/10: I received the caramel latte flavor and was not the biggest fan of it. It was not gross to me, but it smelled a lot better than it tasted. I strictly mixed this is water though, so take that into consideration. Maybe if it is mixed in an almond milk it may taste better. I probably would opt for a chocolate flavor in the future. BNLabs advertises that this is a grit free formula and if you have tried other plant based proteins before you would know that it is pretty grainy, similar to casein proteins back in the day. I would agree that this does not have that grainy texture and is pretty smooth. You can definitely tell it is not whey, but this is way more palatable.

Mixability 8/10: This is a pretty heavy protein and is not as light as whey protein is. However, it mixes pretty well for the most part and there is a minimal amount of clumping if you shake it well enough.

Dosing 9/10: Their recommendation is consume 1-3 scoops per day. I would stick to one since it is a bit pricey.

I thought that this was just as effective as any quality protein supplement. It was just as effective as whey aiding in recovery and I would say that it left me feeling satiated a lot more than whey. It is a lot thicker of a powder and that helped keep me full longer. The 27g of protein is a big selling point especially to those who are vegan because it is obviously a bit harder to meet your protein needs. Never had any issues digesting it.

This is pretty expensive and probably only appeals to a niche market. It can be found on Amazon for just about $50. At 30 servings, that equals $1.67 a serving. This is a lot more expensive than a whey protein where most quality proteins are about $1 a scoop, so if you do not care about going vegan, this is not for you. However, if you are a vegan and you want to stay away from cheap soy as well as finding an organic protein, than this is not too bad of a price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I liked this protein and will definitely consider it in the future, although I will be choosing another flavor. This probably will not appeal to a lot of you on this site and I get that, but that does not make it a bad protein and for the quality in here, it is not an awful price. Thank you to BNLabs for sending this out!

September 20, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Naturally Flavored
  • No Dyes
  • Simple Product
  • Right Ratio Of Aminos
  • No Prop Blends
  • Only One Flavor Currently Available
  • Too Acidic

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

I received Nutrabio's BCAA 5000 through the TROOPs a few months back and liked it. They also produce a BCAA natural which contains the same profile, just using natural flavors and sweeteners. I am a big advocate of going all natural when possible, so I purchased this to try out. We all know that BCAAs are important for muscle growth because they are the "building blocks" of muscles. NutraBio uses high quality fermented BCAAs at 5 g a scoop in the recommended 2:1:1 ratio. There is 2.5 g of leucine, 1.25 g of isoleucine and 1.25 g of valine. BCAAs are essential for muscle repair and growth. They are best taken around your workout. The fermented BCAAs are cool because they are vegan and have no chance of being sourced from animal hair/feathers. The other ingredients in here are natural flavor, citric acid, monk fruit extract, and stevia leaf extract.

Taste 6/10: The only flavor currently available is the lemonade flavor and it taste okay. It has a very bitter taste that is a quality of the stevia. It is also pretty acidic which leaves that weird feeling on your teeth. If you are familiar with any acidic foods, you will know what I'm referring to.

Mixability 8/10: For some reason, this seemed to mix up a little better than the BCAA 5000 I had a few months ago. There was a lot less foaming with this version and a lot less of the product sticking to the shaker bottle. Maybe one of the flavorings in the BCAA 5000 affected the mixability.

Dosing 10/10: Same as the other version. One scoop twice a day. I dosed mine whenever I felt like I needed it or wanted something other than water to drink.

With a basic profile such as this, results are going to be limited. However, there was a subtle decrease in soreness and allowed me to continue my training without being affected as badly from previous gym sessions. I was able to drink more water during the warm summer months and stay better hydrated. That was another reason I decided to purchase this since it was lemonade flavored. Almost everyone enjoys lemonade during the summer. Obviously this is not your super sweet lemonade, but it did have that slight sour and sort of sweet quality that you would look for in a lemonade.

I did not always dose this at two scoops a day, but I would usually either have a scoop if I ran that day or if I was feeling a bit dehydrated due to working out in the heat. Basically I used it more for hydration than a recovery supplement, but it did aid a bit in that department as well.

I like that they charge the same for the natural version. Sometimes when companies go with a natural line, it costs a bit more because the ingredients are a little more expensive. This can be founds on Nutrabio's website or Bodybuilding.com for just $30 not including shipping. This only contains 60 servings as opposed to the 63 servings you get in the BCAA 5000 so that is how they can charge the same price, but still $0.50 a serving is not the worst price for a quality BCAA.

Side Effects

Nothing.

Conclusion

If you liked Nutrabio's BCAA 5000 and are interested in a natural line, then obviously you should try this one out. If you could not care less what a product is sweetened with, then stick with the other version which has more flavors available and a few more servings.

Overall
Thanks to Dymatize Nutrition for sending it out!
  September 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Low Cals And Carbs
  • Lactose Free
  • Good Quality
  • Foam

Dymatize proteins used to be my go-to sources of proteins back in the early college days. I enjoyed the taste of them and they were a bit cheaper than the Optimum Nutrition line, which was probably the biggest protein brand around that time.

This protein powder is extremely clean. You really cannot ask for a cleaner protein. In the strawberry flavor I received, it contains 110 calories, 0 fat, 1 g carbs (<1 g sugar), and 25 g of protein. The protein comes from two high-quality sources: hydrolyzed whey protein isolate and whey protein isolate. A big of a negative to me is that is contains artificial flavors, soy lecithin, and Sucralose. At least it is colored with beet powder as opposed to an artificial dye.

Taste 6/10: I requested and received the strawberry flavor and I found it to be kind of chemical tasting. Was not really a fan of the flavor although it was not awful. I used it exclusively in water, so mixing it with a milk may yield better results.

Mixability 6/10: When using a shaker, this foamed up very badly. I never had any issues with any clumps or any settling, but the foaming added to the chemical taste. The foam also would not subside for a while, so a few seconds of waiting after shaking it did not even solve the problem.

Dosing 10/10: Add a scoop to beverage of choice and consume whenever.

I used this mostly as a post-workout protein, although I had some scoops occasionally mid-afternoon if I needed some more protein before heading off to work. This digested very smoothly and never gave me any issues. It was a very light protein, so it is ideal post-workout obviously being hydrolyzed and an isolate. It is not the best as a snack in my opinion because it did not hold me over for long. This protein was extremely clean and it fit perfectly in my macros. Hard to tell if I recovered any better while using this than using another protein.

Iso-100 is offered in three different sizes: 1.6 pounds (24 servings), 3 pounds (45 servings), and 5 pounds (72 servings). On AllStarHealth, you can purchase it for $26 for the 1.6 pound tub, $43 for the 3 pound, and $61 for the 5 pound. There is about a $6 flat rate shipping on that site, so that has to be taken in consideration. You are going to pay around or even a little under $1 per serving for an isolate, which is a very appealing price point.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you are in the market for a clean nutritional profile or prefer isolates over concentrates, then definitely consider Iso-100. I am unsure if I noticed much of a difference between this and a concentrate, but it is definitely cleaner of a profile. I would just opt to go with a different flavor in the future. Thank you Dymatize for sending it out!

Thanks to Alpha Lion for sending it out!
  September 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Drop Water Weight
  • Smooth Energy
  • Appetite Suppressant
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • No Jitters

Intriguing profile with good reviews from previous members, so I decided to claim a bottle to finish off my summer cut.

Profile is broken up into three different matrices and they are all fully disclosed. The first matrix is the All Day Energy Matrix which contains 300 mg of caffeine and vitamins B6 and B12. The second matrix is the Fat Burning Machine Matrix with l-carnitine at 650 mg, green tea extract, green coffee bean extract, cayenne pepper, Advantra Z, yohimbine HCl and BioPerine. The cayenne will help with a thermo effect, Advantra Z and yohimbine HCl help with appetite suppression and BioPerine help with absorption. There is 8 mg per serving of yohimbine HCl, so be wary of that if you know you have issues with yohimbine. Finally there is the X Factor Matrix that should help as a diuretic and clean energy with dandelion root, matcha green tea, and MCT oil. Gelatin capsules which I am not a fan of; wish they went with vegetarian capsules.

Bottle states to take one serving (three caps) before breakfast and may take an additional serving after lunch. Do not take more than six caps a day.

Alright, well I decided to only take one dose a day because of the amount of caffeine this contained. I was already taking a high stim pre-workout, so I did not want to overdo it on the amount of caffeine I was taking. A full two servings of Alpha Shredder would bring you to 600 mg of caffeine per day alone, so I decided to just go with one serving a day.

I also did not take this prior to breakfast. My work schedule was crazy while I was taking this; I was working 8pm-4am five days a week the entire run of the bottle. Normally I would go to bed at 5am or so and wake up around 12pm, so I would not have breakfast. Instead, I would wake up and take my pre-workout immediately upon waking up and then hit the gym for an hour or two each day. Then I would split the dosage up during my shift to help keep me up at night. For the most part, I would go with one pill at 10pm, 12am, and 2am to get a continuous supply of caffeine through the shift. Sorry for the story, but just wanted to explain my situation.

Anyway, the first night I took this, I took three caps right before my shift. I had to finish a report from the night before, so I started in the air conditioned squad room. Within a few minutes, I was dripping sweat and I had no clue why. I just figured the air was not working properly, but no one else was sweating. I mean I was fully dressed with my vest on and everything, but I should not have been sweating that badly. A few hours later I remembered that I took this fat burner and it all made sense after that. That was another reason why I decided to split the dosage up. So this is definitely great from a thermo/diuretic aspect.

The energy I received from this was very clean even when I took all three caps at a time. It kept me alert throughout my shift and then I had no trouble going to sleep after it. I also did not feel overly hungry while taking Alpha Shredder, so I do think this has a pretty mild appetite suppression quality to it. Unfortunately, I never tracked my weight while taking this, but I definitely leaned up some. My abs showed a bit more and I looked a little more defined all around.

This is where this loses the most points. $35 for a month's worth (if you are only using one serving a day) is not awful given the ingredients in this, but if you are going to take a full two servings a day, this will run you 15 days. That makes it pretty expensive. If you wanted a full month's worth of this at a full two servings, it will run you $70. I would suggest starting with one dose a day, because you can get results with just one serving.

Side Effects

Noticed an increase in body temperature with a full dosage.

Conclusion

This was an effective fat burner at the end of the day. Proven, patented ingredients that are well dosed. The price may be the only thing setting this back at this point. Still would recommend this if you are in the market for a thermo.

August 29, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Focus
  • No Dyes
  • Mixes Well
  • Prop Blends
  • No Beta-alanine
  • Too Much Caffeine

I have used a few products from IN in the past with good results. I like that they use minimal artificial ingredients and for the most part, properly dose their products. I got DVST8 Crimson for a really good deal a while back through Suppz.com I believe. It was a new pre-workout at the time and wanted to give it a shot, so I bought two containers.

Aside from vitamins C and B12, this pre-workout is divided into three proprietary blends. The first blend is called "Maximum Effort". This is made up of 8g containing citrulline malate (5:1), betaine, and taurine. Normally CM is in a ratio of 1:1 or sometimes 2:1, so 5:1 is pretty rare to see. It pretty much is close to a pure citrulline ingredient. Pretty common ingredients in this blend and they most likely are dosed properly.

Second blend is the "CRMSN-8493" blend. Not really sure where the 8493 comes from, but it is a 1,280 mg blend. Choline bitartrate leads this blend off which is seen in many nootropics for its focus enhancement properties. Beet root powder for its nitrates which help with vasodilation. Glycine is an amino acid that is seen in a lot of nighttime formulas to allow you to relax. DMHA included to enhance focus and mood. Bitter Orange and Hordenine HCl to allow the body to use fat as natural energy. Finally Huperzine A which is another nootropic ingredient that boosts focus. Hard to say what is properly dosed in here.

The third and final blend is the "Caffeine Matrix" consisting of three types of caffeine totaling 400 mg. There is caffeine anhydrous, Infinergy, and PurCaf. Altogether it yields 375 mg of caffeine. The forms of caffeine are released at different times, so all 375 mg of caffeine is not hitting you at once. From some articles I have read in the past, too much caffeine negatively affects NO ingredients so I am not a fan of this much caffeine. Also you should note that there is no beta-alanine or creatine included in here. I like beta-alanine so that was disappointing to see it excluded. Creatine is not a deal breaker for me, because I supplement it anyway. Naturally flavored, but uses some Sucralose. I am okay with that.

Taste 7/10: Purchased the Pineapple Express and Strawberry Splash flavors. I thought they were pretty good. Pineapple Express had a light pineapple flavor which I am fine with. Sometimes too much flavor kills a pre-workout. I am used to the heavy flavor from Pre-Kaged, so this was a nice change of pace. Strawberry Splash had a bit more of a strawberry flavor, but I didn't think it was over powering.

Mixability 9/10: Mixed up very nicely. Never really had any problem with foaming or settling. Nice job here. Both flavors I had mixed red in color from the beet root powder.

Dosing 6/10: They suggest one scoop a day and not to take it too late in the day. I took points off because in my opinion, this is pretty heavy on the stims and I think a half scoop serving suggestion should be included for first time users to protect them if they are not used to the stims.

As you can imagine, the best aspect of this pre-workout is the energy. With 375 mg of usable caffeine, this should wake you up immediately every time. If you need anymore caffeine than this at once, then you need to take a break from caffeine and have your adrenal gland reset. I am not really a fan of anything more than 300 mg of caffeine at a time, but honestly this was a smooth energy and did not crash or have any jitters.

The focus was decent. Never had a tunnel-vision like I expected, but it was enough to know that focus ingredients were included. Unlike DVST8 White Cut, I never had an adverse reaction with these stims, so Crimson is a bit smoother in my opinion.

The pump was below average. There was slightly an increase of vascularity, but I have had a lot better. This could be an issue of what I talked about earlier with the amount of caffeine affecting the NO ingredients.

Endurance was very disappointing. It may not seem like a big deal not having beta-alanine for a workout or two, but after two containers worth, I think you really notice a difference.

Seems like it is going for $35 for 25 servings. This comes out to $1.40 a serving without shipping costs. You are not really seeing anything below $1/serving in pre-workouts lately and Pre-Kaged is running about $1.75/serving, so Crimson falls about in the middle of the pact.

Side Effects

None for me, but I would not go over a half serving if you are new to pre-workouts.

Conclusion

Not the worst pre-workout, but far from my favorite. I liked White Cut a lot better than Crimson. I probably will not be buying this one again unless I get another deal on it. I also would not really recommend this one at full price unless you need that much caffeine to workout.

Overall
Thanks to TBN Labs for sending it out!
  August 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Gluten Free
  • Organic Whey
  • Foaming
  • Pricey
  • Sketchy Label

Alright so if you have read my reviews in the past, you know that I eat mostly organic foods. There really is not an organic market for supplements, so I at least try to stay as natural as possible. I was excited when I saw this pop up, but after seeing the label, I question its authenticity.

Claims to be organic and non-GMO. Also says to have no colors, sugars, carbs, fillers, and preservatives. It is sweetened with Stevia and uses natural flavors. Macros are about 120 calories, 1.5 g fats, 2 g carbs -all sugar,- and 24 g of protein. I think it is a whey protein concentrate. There is also a bunch of vitamins listed on the profile, which I have not really seen in a protein powder.

Here is what I question about the label.. they do not specify what protein they use. I am not positive if it is a concentrate or isolate or a blend of some sort. There is a red color to the protein so either they used strawberries in the powder (which they do not mention and I do not think that should be considered a "natural flavor") or there is some sort of colorant added. Stevia is added and there are 2 g of sugars on the ingredient profile so the no sugars/carbs claim does not make sense. Also, there is no organic certification anywhere. I asked the rep about it being third party certified organic and the rep responded that it was, but never told me who it was certified by. I also sent an email to them on their website and I received a response that the protein is sourced from Germany and they certify it organic (no proof or way to contact them) and TBN is the final manufacturer of the products. So basically we are taking their word that TBN uses all organic ingredients in the final product. Seems sketchy to me.

Taste 10/10: Honestly this was delicious. I received the strawberry flavor and really enjoyed it. Mixed this with mostly water, but did mix it with almond milk occasionally. Supposed to be sweetened with Stevia, but it did not have that Stevia aftertaste which further makes me question this product.

Mix ability 6/10: Agree with Seaver that it frothed up a bit. Rep commented that you are not supposed to shake this protein on his review.

Dosing 10/10: Standard protein dosing instructions. One to two scoops a day.

This worked as well as any protein I have used before. Did not have any issues with digesting it. I used this once or occasionally twice a day and really enjoyed the taste of it. I do think strawberries were used in the product somewhere because it looked like it had strawberry seeds in it.

Three pounds of it goes for about $68 on their website without any shipping costs. There are 45 servings in the three pound tub, so each serving comes out to about $1.50 a serving. Pricey for a concentrate (?), but it is "organic" so you have to take that into consideration.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In an industry full of false claims and labels, I really do question this one. Until I see a third party certification, I honestly would not trust this. If anything, the label needs to be improved because the protein needs to be identified as a concentrate or isolate at the very least and any additional ingredients need to be identified as well. It gets a yellow face because I cannot say for sure that it is or is not organic, so I do not really want to give it a straight red face. At least it tasted great.

August 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Carry
  • Durable
  • Improves Your Bench
  • Minimizes Shoulder Pain
  • Improves Form
  • Fitment Can Be Tricky

Just did a review a couple weeks ago or so for Nike Romaleos that helped improve my squat. Now I am going to review Mark Bell's Original SlingShot that helped with my bench press. The original is the red one that is probably the most popular one you see in the gym. Overall there are four SlingShots with each one being most useful at a certain weight. The red original one is actually the second level which is most useful when using more than 315 pounds. The level 1 SlingShot (Reactive, blue in color) is most useful for weight up to 315 pounds and body weight exercises, level 3 (Full Boar, yellow in color) is most useful for weight over 335 and level 4 (Mad Dog, black in color) is most useful for weight over 405. The Mad Dog is the only one I have not used because I probably will not touch 405 for a while lol.

Appearance/Fit

Not much to speak from as far as appearance is concerned. It slides over your elbows and across your chest. The fitment can be a little tricky though. I ordered the XL on them (I am 6'0" about 210) and they fit fine outside of the gym, but they get pretty hard to get on when you have a pump going on and your arms get sweaty. There is a little slit on either side of them that you can use to help pull it over your elbows.

Durability

I have had the SlingShot for over a year and it has not shown any defects over this time period. The material is still strong and none of the elastic inside has given me any issues. The slits that I mentioned earlier to help pull the SlingShot up has not ripped or torn, so these are designed and built to last for a while.

The whole purpose of the SlingShot is to allow the user to overload the bar for bench and get used to an increase in weight. I was never the best bencher, so I ordered a few of these to help with breaking plateaus. I was able to continuously add more weight or reps each time I used it. The Original SlingShot allows you to add 10-15% more than your one rep max.

Another reason why the SlingShot is so beneficial is because it makes you keep your elbows tucked while benching. A lot of times people that are new to bench pressing flare their elbows instead of keeping them tucked. Same could be said for even experienced gym rats who get under a heavier load while benching. Once you start to hit the "sticking point," the elbows start to flare and that could lead to shoulder discomfort over time or even bad shoulder injuries. It is almost impossible to flare your elbows while using a SlingShot and your shoulders will thank you over time.

The SlingShot does not really work well when you go for a paused bench press. These help more when you do more of a touch and go press and pull the weight down into your chest on the negative. Normally, I will do my working sets with a pause and then for my last one or two sets, I will increase the weight and rep it out using the SlingShot.

These can be kind of expensive. Level 1 starts at $50 and each level increases by $5. So the Mad Dog ends up being $65. The Original cost $55 plus any shipping. This can be found on HowMuchYaBench.net (Mark Bell's website) or on Amazon. The prices are the same, but with prime you will not have to pay for shipping. However on HowMuchYaBench, there is a one year warranty on it. I do not mind paying for them because it definitely helped my bench over the past year and I would think if you have shoulder issues, these would benefit you even more. If you are just a regular gym-goer, I probably would say you do not need it.

Conclusion

Overall I am pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their bench, minimize shoulder pain, or especially to those in powerlifting. Unless you have a super strong bench, the red Original one would probably be your best bet and hope you order the right size.

August 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Appealing
  • Durable
  • Multiple Colors
  • May Be Pricey
  • Heavy

Bought the Nike Romaleo 2 (pictured) over a year ago to help improve my squat. They have since released the Romaleo 3s, but you may still be able to find the 2s online somewhere.

Durability

I have used these for over a year and there is not really any sign of wear on them. I probably have used these only an average of two times a week, but I never wear them outside. I normally wear running sneakers to the gym and then change into these once I get inside. The soles have never worn on them so far; the only thing that has shown some wear on them are the threads. A few of the threads have come undone, but I will just take a pair of nail clippers to clip them. Has not affected the sneaker in anyway.

Appearance

In my opinion, these are the most appealing powerlifting shoe. I may be a bit biased because I love Nike, but I would take these over the Adipowers all day. I think the new Romaleo 3s are not bad looking, but I just prefer the 2s. The 2s have two straps and a very wide sole to help with floor contact and stability. The heel is raised 0.75 inches off of the floor, which is designed to help mobility for those who cannot hit depth properly with a low bar squat. These are pretty heavy though; and they make take some time to get used to. The 3s supposedly are a lot lighter and better for those who do crossfit. I wear a 10.5 Nike running sneaker and my Romaleo 2s are a 10.5 and they fit fine.

They had a few different colorways to choose from. I chose the black with the white nike sign because I like black sneakers and I do not really like standing out. They have a few highlighter colors and some reds and blues and so on, but they are hard to match and like I said, I prefer black.

I originally bought these because I could not properly hit depth while low-bar squatting. I prefer low-bar squat because I feel you are able to use more hips and glutes in the lift as opposed to a high-bar squat. I still do both, but use low-bar when I am going for power. I was able to increase my squat very quickly while using these along with using a program designed for strength. I had a log and videos in the journal section of the site to show my progress along the way.

I have also used these for some olympic lifts such as cleans and power cleans. These allow you to get into a better starting position. Unless you are super flexible, it is almost impossible to get into the correct starting position on power cleans/cleans using a non-elevated shoe. I attempted to use these on bench press as I have heard of some lifters preferring a raised heel while benching. I did not like the raised heel while benching, so I went back to wearing Converse for bench.

I think I bought these for $180 last year which may seem like a lot, but Nikes in general are just expensive. You go to a Foot Locker or Champs and basically all the new Air Maxes are $150+ now. I think the Romaleos are worth the $180 to help build strength and they are a well-made, durable sneaker. Looks like there are still some select colors and sizes for the 2s going for about $160 now, but options look extremely limited. Sucks, because I liked these so much; looks like the 3s are going for $200 now.

Conclusion

If you are into powerlifting or olympic lifting, I would definitely recommend looking into the Romaleos. Normally for powerlifters, if you squat with a narrow stance, an elevated heeled shoe would benefit you. If you have a wider stance, you should be fine with Converses or a wrestling shoe. I love mine and have recommended them to a few other people over the past year who like them as well. They may be on the pricey side and may take a bit to get used to the weight and/or the elevated heel, but they should improve your squat once you get used to them. I may look into buying the 3s eventually to get a different color and to see which model I like better.

July 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 100% Micellar Casein
  • Taste Good
  • Good Profile
  • Good Ingredients
  • Bit Pricey

Kaged Muscle has become one of my favorite brands and I have consistently found myself purchasing their supplements over the past year or so.

This was not the best ingredient profile I have seen, but that did not bother me too much. If you are that strict with your calories, it could be an issue, but I do not think most people will mind the extra 30 calories or so in here opposed to other proteins. In each serving, there is 150 calories, 2.5 g of fat (coconut oil included in the ingredients), 7 g of carbs (1 g fiber, 2 g sugar), and 25 g of cold-processed micellar casein isolate protein which is the highest-quality casein protein available. Kris Gethin states that he includes coconut oil powder in the ingredients because it further slows down the digestion of the protein. This powder is predominately sweetened with Stevia which is a plus for me, although there is a little bit of Sucralose. Always a plus when a supplement uses mostly natural ingredients for me that stay away from artificial flavors, colors, and a lot of sweeteners. I am not a fan of the carrageenan because it is a questionable additive in foods.

Taste 10/10: This tasted great in water and almond milk. Definitely one of the best proteins I have tried to date, especially it being an isolate. Would 100% recommend this flavor and would be interested in trying the vanilla in the future.

Mixability 8/10: This one was a bit hard to rate. Initially, the powder is very tough to mix. I guess the coconut oil powder makes it a bit tougher to mix in at first. The powder stays suspended on the liquid and you have to really give it a few shakes. However, after shaking it, it was the best mixing casein I have tried. There were no clumps and it did not have that gritty texture that you find with a lot of other casein powders.

Dosing 10/10: One scoop right before bed was how I dosed it.

I have incorporated casein proteins back into my supplements after not using them for a few years. I never really thought they made that much of a difference and were always out of my price range when I was younger. Now that I make a bit more money and more reputable companies are putting out high-quality caseins on the market, I have tried a couple different casein proteins the past few months. Kasein kept me full throughout the night and was like a dessert right before bed. It was always enjoyable to consume and it was a nice way to get an extra 25 g of protein in my diet. It never gave me any issues during the night as long as I did not use too much liquid.

$55 seems to be the going rate for this; just remember that it only comes in a four pound jug for whatever reason and that you get about 46 scoops a container. That comes out to be about $1.20 per serving before shipping. Not the worst value for this quality, but NutraBio has a comparable protein for cheaper. I got Kasein with a coupon or something a couple months ago on Suppz I believe.

Side Effects

None. Just be sure not to use too much liquid before bed otherwise you will have to use the bathroom during the night.

Conclusion

Definitely recommend this powder if you have the extra funds to buy it. I would definitely buy this again in the future and would recommend it to anyone wanting to purchase a casein protein. Try to find this when you have a coupon ready or look for any other Kaged's promotions.

Overall
Thanks to MyProtein for sending it out!
  June 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Good
  • Great Mixability

As the title states, this is a new whey protein blend from one of my favorite protein companies. MyProtein has shown me that their quality and value are some of the top in the market and that is backed by their LabDoor testing.

This whey protein blend consisting of isolate, concentrate, and hydrolysate contains a clean profile with 120 calories, 1.5 g of fat, 2 g of carbs, and 25 g of protein. They also added digestive enzymes in the forms of Aminogen and Digezyme. Adding these enzymes to the already well absorbed isolate and hydrolysate should allow this protein to be completely absorbed by the body. I was not really a fan when I saw they included artificial flavors and both Sucralose and Ace K, but it is what it is I guess.

Taste 7/10: I requested and received the vanilla ice cream flavor and thought it was okay. I originally wanted the vanilla to mix in with my oatmeal in the mornings, but I thought it made the oatmeal taste awful; so I only did that once. After that, I just mixed it in water after my workouts and thought it was a little above average for being mostly isolate. It was a pretty light flavor. I would probably opt for the chocolate fudge flavor in the future.

Mixability 10/10: This mixed flawlessly. One scoop in water and it immediately started dissolving without even shaking it. Once shaking, it took maybe five quick shakes and it was fully dissolved. No floating chunks or sticking to the sides.

Dosing 10/10: This is a protein, so it can basically be used as you see fittingly.

Aside from the one oatmeal test, I mixed this every other time in water immediately after training. I noticed that it was very easy to drink and light on the stomach. Never gave me any digestion issues. It did not really fill me up, but isolates are not really meant to do so. From a macro standpoint, this is on the higher side as far as protein goes and it still contains low amounts of fat and carbs. My recovery did not decrease in any way while using this, so this was as effective as any other protein as far as recovery is concerned.

I think this protein is priced fairly for the amount of protein and types of protein it contains. On the MyProtein website, this is priced a little bit more than a dollar per serving for the 30 serving tub. However, for the 60 serving tub, this is priced a little less than a dollar per serving. You can find this for $55 for the 60 serving tub on their website. MyProtein also frequently has deep discounts which is what I would recommend looking for if you want to purchase it.

Side Effects

No sides.

Conclusion

I was really happy with this protein. Between the mixing, digestion, and quality I think MyProtein created a strong blended protein. I would definitely recommend looking into this protein, but try out the chocolate fudge flavor. I also hope that MyProtein creates a Stevia flavored The Whey, as I would really prefer that option. Thanks for sending this out!