JayT

SR TROOPer

• Reputation is high. (+1967)
  • Member has been active for 7 years, and was last online today
  • Linked social media account

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by JayT

August 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Appealing
  • Durable
  • Multiple Colors
  • May Be Pricey
  • Heavy

Bought the Nike Romaleo 2 (pictured) over a year ago to help improve my squat. They have since released the Romaleo 3s, but you may still be able to find the 2s online somewhere.

Durability

Durability

I have used these for over a year and there is not really any sign of wear on them. I probably have used these only an average of two times a week, but I never wear them outside. I normally wear running sneakers to the gym and then change into these once I get inside. The soles have never worn on them so far; the only thing that has shown some wear on them are the threads. A few of the threads have come undone, but I will just take a pair of nail clippers to clip them. Has not affected the sneaker in anyway.

Appearance

In my opinion, these are the most appealing powerlifting shoe. I may be a bit biased because I love Nike, but I would take these over the Adipowers all day. I think the new Romaleo 3s are not bad looking, but I just prefer the 2s. The 2s have two straps and a very wide sole to help with floor contact and stability. The heel is raised 0.75 inches off of the floor, which is designed to help mobility for those who cannot hit depth properly with a low bar squat. These are pretty heavy though; and they make take some time to get used to. The 3s supposedly are a lot lighter and better for those who do crossfit. I wear a 10.5 Nike running sneaker and my Romaleo 2s are a 10.5 and they fit fine.

They had a few different colorways to choose from. I chose the black with the white nike sign because I like black sneakers and I do not really like standing out. They have a few highlighter colors and some reds and blues and so on, but they are hard to match and like I said, I prefer black.

I originally bought these because I could not properly hit depth while low-bar squatting. I prefer low-bar squat because I feel you are able to use more hips and glutes in the lift as opposed to a high-bar squat. I still do both, but use low-bar when I am going for power. I was able to increase my squat very quickly while using these along with using a program designed for strength. I had a log and videos in the journal section of the site to show my progress along the way.

I have also used these for some olympic lifts such as cleans and power cleans. These allow you to get into a better starting position. Unless you are super flexible, it is almost impossible to get into the correct starting position on power cleans/cleans using a non-elevated shoe. I attempted to use these on bench press as I have heard of some lifters preferring a raised heel while benching. I did not like the raised heel while benching, so I went back to wearing Converse for bench.

I think I bought these for $180 last year which may seem like a lot, but Nikes in general are just expensive. You go to a Foot Locker or Champs and basically all the new Air Maxes are $150+ now. I think the Romaleos are worth the $180 to help build strength and they are a well-made, durable sneaker. Looks like there are still some select colors and sizes for the 2s going for about $160 now, but options look extremely limited. Sucks, because I liked these so much; looks like the 3s are going for $200 now.

Conclusion

If you are into powerlifting or olympic lifting, I would definitely recommend looking into the Romaleos. Normally for powerlifters, if you squat with a narrow stance, an elevated heeled shoe would benefit you. If you have a wider stance, you should be fine with Converses or a wrestling shoe. I love mine and have recommended them to a few other people over the past year who like them as well. They may be on the pricey side and may take a bit to get used to the weight and/or the elevated heel, but they should improve your squat once you get used to them. I may look into buying the 3s eventually to get a different color and to see which model I like better.

July 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 100% Micellar Casein
  • Taste Good
  • Good Profile
  • Good Ingredients
  • Bit Pricey

Kaged Muscle has become one of my favorite brands and I have consistently found myself purchasing their supplements over the past year or so.

This was not the best ingredient profile I have seen, but that did not bother me too much. If you are that strict with your calories, it could be an issue, but I do not think most people will mind the extra 30 calories or so in here opposed to other proteins. In each serving, there is 150 calories, 2.5 g of fat (coconut oil included in the ingredients), 7 g of carbs (1 g fiber, 2 g sugar), and 25 g of cold-processed micellar casein isolate protein which is the highest-quality casein protein available. Kris Gethin states that he includes coconut oil powder in the ingredients because it further slows down the digestion of the protein. This powder is predominately sweetened with Stevia which is a plus for me, although there is a little bit of Sucralose. Always a plus when a supplement uses mostly natural ingredients for me that stay away from artificial flavors, colors, and a lot of sweeteners. I am not a fan of the carrageenan because it is a questionable additive in foods.

Taste 10/10: This tasted great in water and almond milk. Definitely one of the best proteins I have tried to date, especially it being an isolate. Would 100% recommend this flavor and would be interested in trying the vanilla in the future.

Mixability 8/10: This one was a bit hard to rate. Initially, the powder is very tough to mix. I guess the coconut oil powder makes it a bit tougher to mix in at first. The powder stays suspended on the liquid and you have to really give it a few shakes. However, after shaking it, it was the best mixing casein I have tried. There were no clumps and it did not have that gritty texture that you find with a lot of other casein powders.

Dosing 10/10: One scoop right before bed was how I dosed it.

I have incorporated casein proteins back into my supplements after not using them for a few years. I never really thought they made that much of a difference and were always out of my price range when I was younger. Now that I make a bit more money and more reputable companies are putting out high-quality caseins on the market, I have tried a couple different casein proteins the past few months. Kasein kept me full throughout the night and was like a dessert right before bed. It was always enjoyable to consume and it was a nice way to get an extra 25 g of protein in my diet. It never gave me any issues during the night as long as I did not use too much liquid.

$55 seems to be the going rate for this; just remember that it only comes in a four pound jug for whatever reason and that you get about 46 scoops a container. That comes out to be about $1.20 per serving before shipping. Not the worst value for this quality, but NutraBio has a comparable protein for cheaper. I got Kasein with a coupon or something a couple months ago on Suppz I believe.

Side Effects

None. Just be sure not to use too much liquid before bed otherwise you will have to use the bathroom during the night.

Conclusion

Definitely recommend this powder if you have the extra funds to buy it. I would definitely buy this again in the future and would recommend it to anyone wanting to purchase a casein protein. Try to find this when you have a coupon ready or look for any other Kaged's promotions.

Overall
Thanks to MyProtein for sending it out!
  June 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Mixability
  • Taste Good

As the title states, this is a new whey protein blend from one of my favorite protein companies. MyProtein has shown me that their quality and value are some of the top in the market and that is backed by their LabDoor testing.

This whey protein blend consisting of isolate, concentrate, and hydrolysate contains a clean profile with 120 calories, 1.5 g of fat, 2 g of carbs, and 25 g of protein. They also added digestive enzymes in the forms of Aminogen and Digezyme. Adding these enzymes to the already well absorbed isolate and hydrolysate should allow this protein to be completely absorbed by the body. I was not really a fan when I saw they included artificial flavors and both Sucralose and Ace K, but it is what it is I guess.

Taste 7/10: I requested and received the vanilla ice cream flavor and thought it was okay. I originally wanted the vanilla to mix in with my oatmeal in the mornings, but I thought it made the oatmeal taste awful; so I only did that once. After that, I just mixed it in water after my workouts and thought it was a little above average for being mostly isolate. It was a pretty light flavor. I would probably opt for the chocolate fudge flavor in the future.

Mixability 10/10: This mixed flawlessly. One scoop in water and it immediately started dissolving without even shaking it. Once shaking, it took maybe five quick shakes and it was fully dissolved. No floating chunks or sticking to the sides.

Dosing 10/10: This is a protein, so it can basically be used as you see fittingly.

Aside from the one oatmeal test, I mixed this every other time in water immediately after training. I noticed that it was very easy to drink and light on the stomach. Never gave me any digestion issues. It did not really fill me up, but isolates are not really meant to do so. From a macro standpoint, this is on the higher side as far as protein goes and it still contains low amounts of fat and carbs. My recovery did not decrease in any way while using this, so this was as effective as any other protein as far as recovery is concerned.

I think this protein is priced fairly for the amount of protein and types of protein it contains. On the MyProtein website, this is priced a little bit more than a dollar per serving for the 30 serving tub. However, for the 60 serving tub, this is priced a little less than a dollar per serving. You can find this for $55 for the 60 serving tub on their website. MyProtein also frequently has deep discounts which is what I would recommend looking for if you want to purchase it.

Side Effects

No sides.

Conclusion

I was really happy with this protein. Between the mixing, digestion, and quality I think MyProtein created a strong blended protein. I would definitely recommend looking into this protein, but try out the chocolate fudge flavor. I also hope that MyProtein creates a Stevia flavored The Whey, as I would really prefer that option. Thanks for sending this out!

Overall
    (SR paid for product; MTS Nutrition did not participate)
      June 13, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Energy
    • Fully Disclosed
    • Good Ingredients
    • Vegetarian Capsules
    • No Appetite Suppression
    • No Thermo Effect

First off I want to thank Admin for purchasing this for me to try and I want to apologize for the late review. I wanted to try a fairly low stim fat burner to have with me for PT and I thought this was perfect for what I was looking for. This will be the review for the latest released Drop Factor.

Very solid profile in my opinion. Firstly, MTS lists the dosages of the entire label which is pretty rare among fat burners. Most of the time you will get a proprietary blend of a bunch of ingredients. Per two capsules (one serving), there is 250 mg of caffeine which is a nice dosage. I feel 250 mg of caffeine is right around my sweet spot. There is 250 mg of Theobromine which is an extract from cocoa plants and acts similar to caffeine. 150 mg of cayenne which can help increase body temperature. 125 mg of coleus forskohlii which has been shown to increase lean body mass. 62.5 mg of TeaCrine which is an ingredient that is becoming a bit more popular due to its caffeine similarity, but without a tolerance buildup. There is a 48 mg ORAC blend made up of different super foods to provide some antioxidants. Finally, there is a 5 mg serving of BioPerine to help with absorption and 2.5 mg dose of yohimbe bark extract which could help with appetite suppression. No gelatin used for the capsules; they are vegetarian sourced.

MTS recommends dosing this in one capsule increments. They first want you to take one cap before your first meal or morning cardio. Then once you can tolerate one capsule, add a second one 6-8 hours later. Then add another with your morning dose. Finally add a fourth with your afternoon dose once you can tolerate the others. You can consume a total of four capsules a day. I know what I can handle, so I took two capsules every morning and did not take any in the afternoon since I was taking a pre-workout and did not want to consume too much caffeine. This also extended the bottle by an extra 30 days.

MTS Drop Factor was very effective in helping me tone up. I lost a little over five pounds in just the first month of using it. I unfortunately do not have a scale where I am living now, but I would say that I lost a bit more weight even though my diet was not as strict as it was in the first month of use. The energy that I received was very clean and it did not make me crash after PT during class sessions. No adverse reactions from the stims in here for me, which obviously is a plus.

A couple of little disappointments were that I did not feel that the thermo effect or appetite suppression were that noticeable in here. Personally, those can be slightly overlooked if at the end of the bottle I lost weight. However, those two factors definitely separate a top tier fat burner and one that can be deemed as above average which is where I feel MTS Drop Factor falls. Besides a pretty good ingredient profile and clean energy, I believe it does not really separate itself from the rest of the fat burners on the market.

On some websites such as Suppz.com, you can find MTS Drop Factor for about $37, not including shipping. If you are using a full four cap dosage, it could be on the expensive side for a fat burner. However, since I was able to see results using half a dosage, I believe that helped out the value a bit. I was able to stretch the 120 capsule bottle into about two full months.

Side Effects

Nothing for me

Conclusion

Ultimately, I lost weight and that is the most important thing when we look for fat burners. Along with a solid workout plan and diet, this could help you achieve your goals. The lack of appetite suppression and thermo were definitely a bit disappointing, but I would still recommend trying Drop Factor out. Thank you again Admin for supplying me with a bottle.

June 1, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Formula
    • No Proprietary Blends
    • Great Endurance
    • Needs More Servings

Another review coming up for NutraBio. I have lost count of how many products they have sent. As always, thanks a lot for sending this out.

This profile is almost the same as their PRE with a few more additions. For pumps, there are 6 g of citrulline malate, 1 g of agmatine, and 750 mg of Nitrosigine. There is 2.5 g of CarnoSyn for endurance. It does not seem like they like a lot of beta-alanine. I think most people including myself like to feel the beta tingles. Their ATP Power, Strength, and Recovery Complex is a nice addition. I like Leucine included in pre-workouts and betaine paired with creatine has worked well for me for strength gains. There are two types of creatine included; 2 g of creatine monohydrate and 1 g of creatine HCl. On their own they are both dosed at about half of their clinical dosages, but I guess together it would equal an effective dose. PRE Extreme contains a electrolyte and hydration optimizer composed of taurine, TRAACS Calci K, and couple forms of sodium that they include in many of their products. NutraBio included two types of caffeine; 250 mg of anhydrous and 100 mg of Infinergy which is supposed to be absorbed easier. TheaPure is added which pairs well with caffeine.

For the additions, they have included 15 g of highly branched cyclic dextrin, which I really enjoy. I used their HBCD regularly and having it in a pre-workout means that I can use less intra-workout. They added Yohimbe HCl at 4 mg. Some people cannot handle this, so be careful. There is also NALT, n-methyl tyramine, hordenine HCl, and Huperzine A added to the pre-workout to allow you to have better focus during your workouts. Points off for artificial flavors and sweeteners.

Taste 6/10: I received the green apple flavor and thought it was average. I do not think I would choose this flavor if I were to get PRE Extreme again, though. It was kind of artificial. I honestly have not really been a fan of any of NutraBio's flavors. I am not really sure what it is, but I seem to think all of them are decent and do not really truly enjoy most of them. I normally used about 16 oz. of water.

Mixability 9/10: This mixed nicely for being such a big scoop. There was a little foaming initially, but it went away pretty quickly. I never noticed any clumping or an extreme amount of settling.

Dosing 9/10: Label states to mix one heaping scoop of PRE into 12-14 ounces of water and consume 20-30 minutes prior to resistance training. It should not be used more than five out of seven days, tolerance should be assessed for first time users, and water level could be adjusted to achieve your preferred flavor.

The energy that I got from PRE Extreme was almost the same as the energy I got from PRE. It was not an instant jolt of energy, but it was more subtle and crept up on me. The energy lasted for about two hours. I really liked the inclusion of the HBCD as I mentioned earlier. I believe that gives you a more natural energy and pairs well with the caffeine. I never noticed any type of crash from PRE Extreme. The energy was smooth throughout the workout. My strength consistently improved over the course of the container. I was either increasing in weight or reps. I believe the biggest improvement over the PRE is the amount of focus I got from PRE Extreme. Nothing in here that would really give you that DMAA type of focus, but put on my headphones and I was in the zone for a good two hours every time. With the extra stimulants in here, I never noticed any sides like I did with DVST8 White Cut.

I would still like to see more beta-alanine added in their pre-workouts. I am a fan of the >3 g mark for beta-alanine. I also felt that the pump in here was lacking just like the PRE version. I just do not understand why either, because it is dosed nicely. I respond well to both Citrulline Malate and Agmatine and the pumps just usually seem to not be there. Even on my high volume days.

I found this on Suppz.com for $42.99 not including shipping. This may be the priciest pre-workout I have seen, but I think it may be worth it. It is only about $5 more than their PRE and you are getting 15 g of HBCD per serving. I think that justifies the increase in price. However, I do understand that where most of the pres on the market go for about $1-1.50 per serving, this one is very expensive at over $2 per serving. It actually comes out to $2.15 a serving.

Side Effects

None for me, but be sure to assess your tolerance.

Conclusion

Although this was one of the priciest pre-workouts I have seen, I think it may be worth the price. PRE Extreme may also contain the most ingredients I have had in a pre-workout. That should justify the price, and this was an effective product. I say give this one a shot if your budget allows for it. Look for some deals on it in the future. Thanks again for letting me try this out.

May 24, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Enhanced Recovery
    • Reduced DOMS
    • No Proprietary Blends
    • Great Label Information
    • Reduced Fatigue
    • Little Pricey

I previously used NutraBio's POST Recovery supplement almost a year ago through the TROOPs. Upon looking at the label, it is almost identical except Reload does not have BioPerine like POST does. I am unsure why they changed the name and took out BioPerine, but that was the only difference I noticed anyway. Originally, I was not really a fan of POST, but I was training differently and may have been a bit too harsh on my rating. For some reason, Reload worked a lot better for me.

Reload is a recovery powder that is loaded with aminos and ...

Reload is a recovery powder that is loaded with aminos and electrolytes. It is not your typical recovery powder because there are no protein or carbs included in the profile. This allows Reload to be taken whenever as opposed to just post-workout. Included in Reload are BCAAs at a 2:1:1 ratio for a total of 8 g per scoop. They are of the fermented plant source as opposed to animal sourced. 5 g of Kyowa glutamine, two types of creatine with HCl and MagnaPower totaling 2g, L-carnitine, betaine, OKG, beta-alanine, and glycine. All together, there is about 20 g of the different aminos. There are just under 2 g of electrolytes. As always with NutraBio, their ingredients are fully disclosed down to the flavorings used. They do use a pretty good amount of artificial ingredients, which I hope they do away with soon. They seem to be headed toward a more natural route. I like that this is vegan and also non-GMO.

Taste 7/10: I received the orange mango flavor and I thought it was okay. It was more of a fake tasting orange flavor to me, but was not too bad. I did not really notice too much of a mango flavor in here. I did not notice a bitter or chalky taste that may be expected with the amount of BCAAs included in here. I would mix this with about 16-20 oz. of water and I thought that was still even a bit too sweet for me.

Mixability 6/10: I noticed a lot of foaming and some settling with Reload. This was the same thing I noticed with the POST recovery I had from them. I would have to allow this to sit a lot more than other drinks I would have in the past to allow everything to settle.

Dosing 9/10: They suggest mixing this with 8-12 oz. of water on training and non-training days. I went with more water because it was too sweet for me otherwise. NutraBio suggests taking this once daily: if training in the morning, take one serving between meals late in the afternoon or evening. If training in the evening, take one serving early in the day. On non-training days, take 1-2 servings daily between meals. Since I trained late in the afternoon when I first started taking this, I opted to take this first thing the next morning. When I went to the academy, I was taking this when I got home.

When I took POST, I think the type of training I was doing was the reason why I did not think that supplement was too effective. I was doing the GVT and that made me really sore. When I took Reload, I was training a lot more frequently, but doing more of a bodybuilding type split: one body part a day mostly. I was actually training seven days a week towards the end of April and I think this allowed me to train that frequently. Maybe I could have been in pretty good shape to begin with, but I am sure this helped out some.

During my first few weeks in the academy, we have been doing a LOT of running and it is at a fast pace too. We also occasionally do circuits. I cannot tell you how many push ups we have done either. As far as weight lifting, I have not done any since starting May 1. I did not cramp up while taking this or really have any soreness to note. I actually caught a bad cramp in my calf last night that woke me up out of my sleep. I have been off of Reload for over a week, so I think this definitely helped me stay hydrated.

Price for Reload is about $40 not including shipping for 30 servings. That equals $1.33 per serving, which is a decent price for everything that you get in here. With the profile and quality of ingredients, it is a fair price.

Side Effects

Nothing.

Conclusion

For whatever reason, this worked better than the POST I had sometime last year. Again it could have been my training, or even me being in better shape this year, but I really did not notice any soreness while on Reload. This taste and mixing could be improved, but I think you should check this out if you need improved recovery at home. Thank you NutraBio for sending this out.

May 18, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Simple Product
    • Reduces Muscle Soreness
    • Right Ratio Of Aminos
    • Chalky Taste
    ----Introduction + Ingredient Profile----
    We all know that BCAAs are important for muscle growth because they are the "building blocks" of muscles. NutraBio uses high quality fermented BCAAs at 5 g a scoop in the recommended 2:1:1 ratio. There is 2.5 g of leucine, 1.25 g of isoleucine and 1.25 g of valine. BCAAs are essential for muscle repair and growth. They are best taken around your workout. The fermented BCAAs are cool because they are vegan and have no chance of being sourced from animal hair/feathers. With the flavored versions, you get a little over a gram of flavoring. I am not really a fan of the artificial flavoring and sweeteners, but they do offer a natural BCAA product.

Taste 6/10: I requested and received the tropical fruit punch flavor. I chose this one because I tried their tropical fruit punch in their Intra Blast and loved it. I know that BCAAs are bitter on their own, but I do not think they masked the bitterness enough with this one. The flavoring was really light and it just tasted really watered down and a bit bitter. Maybe another flavor would be better, but I would not get this one again. I normally used about 16-24 oz. of water. You could use less and get a stronger taste, but I like to make sure I drink enough water around my workouts.

Mixability 7/10: BCAAs are hard to mix because they do not dissolve quickly in water, but this foamed a lot and some was left over on the sides. I have definitely had a lot better mixing products from NutraBio, but you kind of cannot blame them totally for the BCAAs because that is just a quality of them.

Dosing 10/10: They recommend two scoops a day, split up into separate servings. They recommend using 16 oz. of water. I chose to do 1.5-2 scoops intra workout because I felt like that is easiest and I believe that is the best time to take BCAAs anyway.

BCAAs are most notably used to help decrease muscle soreness. Was my DOMS completely gone? No, but it was reduced a good amount. Another popular use for BCAA drinks is for the hydration factor. Now this did not have any additional hydration ingredients, but the flavoring does give you something to drink. I did not care too much for this flavor, but I guess it is better than drinking water the whole time. I have recently started the police academy, so I have stopped lifting weights for the past three weeks or so. I have been doing a lot of running and body weight exercises and my recovery is fine. Even the few weeks prior to the academy when I was lifting still my recovery was enhanced. I must disclose that I was simultaneously taking NutraBio's Reload, so that could have skewed the recovery a bit. However, 5 g of 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs are the studied dosages, so I am sure it helped.

Suppz has this for just under $27 (plus shipping) and the flavor I received came with 63 servings. If you are taking the recommended two scoops a day, you are getting over 31 days worth of BCAAs and it still costs under a $1 a day. That is a good price for the quality in these. Of course you can get BCAAs cheaper, but they may come from sketchy sources. If you use 1-1.5 scoops a day, the value obviously becomes even better and the tub will last you longer. Suppz occasionally runs discounts so you may be able to find this for cheaper.

Side Effects

Nothing to report.

Conclusion

Overall, I would recommend this product. The value is great and it works. The flavoring of the tropical fruit punch needs to at least be tweaked in my opinion. Thank you NutraBio for sending it out.

May 7, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • 100 % Micellar Casein
    • Great Profile
    • Versatile
    • Best Mixing Casein I've Tried
    • Taste Great
    • Sucralose
    • Can Be Expensive

I have not really tried casein in a long time, but after trying this, I may have to keep casein around as a staple. I have used Optimum Nutrition's casein and Dymatize's Casein probably four years ago. NutraBio's casein was the first pure caseins I have tried since then (I have had a few blends over the years). Since finishing the NB Casein, I am now onto Kaged's Kasein which is good as well.

This is a very clean label; the vanilla flavor contains 110 calories, 0.5 g fat, 2 g carbs, and guaranteed 25 g of slow digesting protein. I am sure you are all aware, but for anyone who is not, casein is good to provide you with aminos over an extended period of time. It normally takes six hours--give or take a couple--to fully digest and perfect for when you will not have food for a few hours. That is why many use it before bed or in between meals. It is also very effective when used in combination with whey protein post workout. You will not really find a more clean, true label than NutraBio's. Included is 5 g of BCAAs per scoop. I also like how it is non-GMO and soy free.

Taste 10/10: Received the vanilla and this flavor was great. It was really good even in just plain water, but it was delicious in unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I used 8 oz. of milk and I found that was the perfect amount. It was not overly thick, but it was an enjoyable consistency. I would not really recommend anything over 8 oz. because it could lead to nightly bathroom breaks. I honestly looked forward to this every night. I would like to give the other flavors a try in the future.

Mixability 7/10: From what I remember about caseins, they never mixed well and were always clumpy. This one seemed to mix just a bit better, but there was still a lot of clumps and residue on the sides on the cup. That is just to be expected with a casein though.

Dosing 10/10: It is a protein; basically take it as needed. The best time to take casein is before bed, but any time during the day is fine as well.

I loved taking this right before bed nightly. Usually by that time I start to get a little hungry and I do not really want to have a big meal at that time obviously, so this was perfect to have just before falling asleep. I only used this pre-bed and I really think I am going to have to add this as a staple from now on just because I liked having it before bed to get rid of any late night hunger and just because it tasted so great. I cannot really say it helped from a recovery standpoint or added any muscle, but that will come over time as long as you are consistent with your workouts and diet.

This is one of the higher priced caseins on the market, but I would buy this because of its quality and taste. Now that NB is branching out to online websites (Suppz, BB, etc), you could possibly find this on a deal when the sites run them. Full price, it will cost you about $40 for 28 servings (excluding shipping) to equal $1.43 a serving. There is also a five pound jug available which will help out on the price per serving a bit. With the five pound jug, you get 71 servings for $80 (shipping not included). That comes out to $1.13 which is a lot better of a deal. Like I said too, you may be able to find a coupon on NB stuff in the future on the websites I mentioned to get the price even lower.

Side Effects

If you drink too much water, you will have to pee really badly at night.

Conclusion

This was a great protein and it was enjoyable from the first scoop to the last. Once I finish the Kasein I bought a while back, I will be using one of those two caseins as a staple from here on out. I definitely recommend you look out for deals for this and give it a shot. Thank you NB for sending it out!

Overall
    Thanks to CSA Nutrition for sending it out!
      April 15, 2017

• Increased Strength
    • Better Recovery
    • Bit Too Expensive

I use creatine year round and always am interested in trying new types that come out. CSA's Podium Gold looked interesting because it was basically a two in one product that most of us use on a daily basis already.

Each scoop provides 4500 mg of CarnoForge which is a trademarked proprietary blend of beta alanine and creatine monohydrate. This blend is touted to provide the athlete with enhanced strength and speed. These two ingredients are bonded and buffered to greatly increase the absorbability and bioavailablity. Without being buffered, creatine converts to creatinine faster which you do not really want. This product is free of any banned substances. Single ingredient supplement, so not much to talk about here.

Taste: I received the unflavored powder and this was truly unflavored. This did not affect the taste of anything I mixed it in. If you are looking for a flavored powder, they should have them in stock shortly if they do not have them already.

Mixability 5/10: There is a lot of settling with this supplement. Creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine are pretty course, grainy powders by themselves, so this is pretty much expected.

Dosing 8/10: One scoop daily for person weighing less than 200 lbs. Two scoops daily for person weighing over 200 lbs. They recommend taking one scoop before or after workout if you weigh under 200 and for anyone over 200, you could take one scoop in the morning and one post workout.

Okay so I decided to kind of take it upon myself to go with 1.5-1.75 scoops since I only weighed slightly above 200 pounds. I dosed this at about the .75 marking on the scoop each time. I chose to mix it with my pre-workout and with my post-workout. Figured I was getting a little bit extra beta-alanine and creatine in my pre workout anyway. I just took one heaping scoop in the mornings on my off day (Sunday). The beta-alanine tingles were definitely felt and increased the amount that I would have gotten from a pre-workout alone.

I noticed that my strength increased or stayed the same as I upped the frequency of my workouts over the past month or two. I have decreased my calories since the winter and increased the amount of cardio I have done, so strength most likely should have decreased. For the most part, that was not the case. I have increased in reps or weight in almost every exercise except for bench, which I cannot seem to make any progress on for the life of me lol. For my main five lifts, I have been keeping reps low, but working with more sets than I have in the winter. I have also been doing a lot more isolation exercises in the 12-15 rep range and it seems that I have recovered decently while using this.

For whatever reason, the powder will cost more than the tablets off of the CSA website. For 60 servings, you can purchase the powder for $43.99 and the tablets for $34.99 (excluding any shipping costs). If you could get by with one serving a day, it is not that bad of price, but if you are using two servings a day, it is probably considered pricey for a month run of a creatine blend. I guess you do have to remember that you are getting creatine and beta-alanine in one, so maybe this could be used as a pre-workout if you are cycling off stimulants for the month.

Side Effects

I did not notice anything.

Conclusion

I enjoyed my run of this product and would recommend it if you are in the market for a blended creatine. It was an interesting ingredient that proved to be effective. Thank you to CSA for sending this out. I will definitely be on the lookout for any future products of yours.

Thanks to Catalyst by Strength.com for sending it out!
      March 28, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Grass Fed Sources
    • Low Fat And Carb Profile
    • NSF Certified
    • Naturally Sweetened
    • Mostly Isolate
    • Bitter Aftertaste
    • Only Available In 2 Lbs
    ----Introduction + Ingredient Profile----
    Protein is a staple supplement, and I am always willing to try new brands of protein if I believe they are to be of high-quality. This protein really caught my attention because of three big reasons: 1. It comes from grass-fed cows. Any meat that I have eaten for the past two years have come from free-range, pasture-fed, humanely raised animals. I am not trying to sound like a big D-bag by saying that, I just believe in the ethics of them being raised that way, the benefit it has on our environment, and how much healthier it is for you. Not to mention the taste in grass-fed red meat especially. The increase in price is worth it for me. Now, I am not totally sure the cows used to make the protein for Catalyst Whey are completely grass-fed because I believe that as long as they have some access to grass they can be considered grass-fed. However, it is better than nothing in my opinion. Most protein powders that are labeled as being grass-fed are ridiculously high in price. For that I cannot justify spending that much more money for a protein powder. 2. It is said to be a 3-1 ratio of isolate to concentrate according to Strength.com. We know that isolate is a higher quality than concentrate. Do not think I have to say much more about that. 3. It is naturally sweetened with Stevia. I always prefer the naturally sweetened supplements over the ones made with Sucralose and Ace-k when possible. Other things to like are that it is low in calories (110), on the higher side of protein with 24g of it, low in fat (0.5), and contains only 3 g of carbs.

Taste 7/10: I received the Belgian Chocolate and the initial taste was probably a 9/10. It was great at first. However, there was a bitter aftertaste where I had to deduct two points. Like I said above, I prefer Stevia to artificial sweeteners, but I know that it could result in that bitterness. I have had MyProtein's Impact Whey sweetened with Stevia and that does not contain that bitterness.

Mixability 8/10: This was not a perfect mixing protein; it clumped up a little bit. Kind of on the lower end of proteins which are mostly isolate, but not awful.

Dosing 10/10: They suggest mixing one scoop in 12 oz. cold water and to drink first thing in the morning or throughout the day. We know protein can be taken however the user sees fit. I took this immediately post-workout in 8 oz. almond milk or blended up as a smoothie.

I did not have any issues digesting this protein. I found that the taste was great aside from the final few sips. Throwing it in a smoothie basically took care of the aftertaste though. I was working out six times a week while using this and stuck with one scoop post-workout. Strength gains were consistent and recovery was on par with all other proteins I have had in the past.

If you do not mind having the Strawberry flavor, that could be found on Amazon for $35 and it is Prime eligible. With about 30 servings, that comes out to $1.17 a serving. For some reason, I cannot find the chocolate or vanilla on Amazon. All three flavors could be found on Strength.com and that will run you $45 for 30 servings coming out to $1.50 each. I believe this protein competes with all of the other higher end proteins on the market and feel the $1.17 per serving is pretty competitive for the quality in here. I like strawberry proteins for the most part, so that is what I would purchase in the future.

Side Effects

None except bitter aftertaste.

Conclusion

Really enjoyed this protein. I think if they could tone down the Stevia a bit more and get this out to other websites for sale/offer bigger sized containers, it would be one of the top proteins on the market. I am definitely interested in purchasing this in the future and would 100% recommend it.