JarrodBright

First Bloods

*Rookie League

Try Requests

*Rookie League

*Rookie League = only among other members in their first year on SR. JarrodBright will be eligible for rookie league trophies for another 263 days.

Reviews by JarrodBright

August 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Appetite Suppression
  • Fat Loss
  • Some Energy
  • Not Dosed Well

This is the first fat burner that I have ever taken and I was excited to find one that had no caffeine. I am not necessarily sensitive to caffeine but I get paranoid about developing a dependency if I have too much (which with my preworkout and bcaa energy/coffee I would imagine that I am getting close). This was also getting started around the same time that I started a cutting program in my training and diet so it is always a little hard to tell what progress I can attribute to that and what I credit this product for.

----Ingredient Profile: 6/10----

Green coffee bean extract: 500mg
Garcinia Cambogia extract: 500mg
Acetyl L-Carnitine: 500mg
Green tea leaf extract: 250mg

This ingredient list is a double edged sword because while it seems like a solid list, pretty much everything on here is underdosed to a degree. The recommended CLA dosage for effectiveness is 2-4 grams daily (4+ servings of this). The recommended dosage of Acetyl L-Carnitine is 1-2g daily (2+ servings of this). The recommended dosage for green tea leaf extract is about 1g daily depending on where you look (4+ servings of this) and so on. While I like the ingredient list and these are, for the most part, tried and true ingredients to aid in weight loss, I wish that the dosing was a little more scientific.

The ingredients are all very solid as far as solid metabolism boosters/fat burners that aren't stimulants. I know that some people do report some minor energy benefits from taking this product but that was not my experience. In fact I would personally never take this before a workout because they tend to sit a little bit heavy on my stomach (due to you remaining satiated longer).

----Effectiveness: 7/10----

The effectiveness of this product is up in the air for me. While I mentioned in the introduction that I started a cutting program at the same time I started this, it is hard not to credit at least a little bit of my progress to this product. Whether or not it was placebo for me, I think that some of the progress that I made was due to this product. Sometimes a placebo can work just as well as the real thing so I will take it either way.

The main thing that this product undeniably did for me was suppress appetite. I would take the recommended 3 pills before 2 meals daily and I noticed that after every meal I would feel way more satiated than I was used to. I had cut calories back by just about 1000 and had no notable hunger throughout my days like I was used to from previous cutting cycles.

----Value: 6/10----
The value is pretty mediocre for this product. It comes in at just about $15/30 servings (when it is on sale which it frequently is) which seems to be the average for this category. The problem is that the dosing needs to be more than what they recommend as one serving in order to be effective so the 30 servings on the bottle turned into 20 or so servings for me. The price was not bad enough that I wont buy this product again (I will) I just wish you got a little more bang for your buck.

Side Effects

No real side effects to note other than the aforementioned "I wasn't very hungry" (which is a selling point so I wouldn't consider it a side effect).

Conclusion

Overall I would recommend that anyone who wants a stim free fat burner give this a shot if they find it on sale. If you had to pay full price, I would recommend buying the ingredients separately and dosing it for yourself to save a little bit of money. I was somewhat happy with my purchase but only plan on buying again if it goes on sale.

August 23, 2017

• Quick Delicious Snack

First of all, i love protein bars. I am a real fat kid at heart so anytime i can eat a candy bar without actually eating a candy bar i am pretty happy. Quest has been the king of the protein bar game for a while in my mind so their new cereal bar product was a no brainer for me because i also love sugary cereals.

----Ingredient Profile: 9/10----

----Ingredient Profile: 9/10----
    The main source of protein for this bar is the milk protein and whey isolate blend that leads the ingredients label. The milk protein being the first ingredient is great in my mind because that means it has the mix of quick digesting protein with the slower digesting casein. This helps with not only keeping the anabolic state open longer but also with keeping you fuller longer.
    The next thing on the ingredient label worth noting is that the main sweetener is 'Allulose'. Allulose is a relatively new sweetener used mainly by quest so far that boasts all of the flavor of regular sugar with only 0.4 calories per gram. This means that the label lists 8g of sugar but only a fraction of the calories from that as you would get from real sugar.

----Taste: 10/10----
    Of course it wouldn't matter what was in it if the taste was terrible. Luckily, quest knocks it out of the park again and delivers one of my favorite protein bats that i have had. The cinnamon one tastes like cinnamon bun and the chocolate flavor tastes EXACTLY like what i remember cocoa pebbles tasting like. They taste just as good if not better than any cereal bar i have ever had that was packed with sugars and fats. Quest knows how to make amazing protein bars and here they are delivering yet again.

----Macronutrient profile: 10/10----
    CALORIES: 110
    FAT: 4.5
    NET CARB: 2
    PROTEIN: 12
    The macros on this bar are just about perfect for a snack that is high in protein and not a calorie bomb. Most protein bars have 20 or so grams of protein but you have got to deal with the 200+ calories that come with that if you want all of the protein. The cool thing about the quest cereal bars is that they are only 110 calories so they are really more of a light snack with the protein that you want.

The nature of the low calories along with the relatively small amount of protein (compared to other bars) makes them my wife's preferred protein bar. She usually doesn't like the heavier feel and caloric bomb of other protein bars but because of how "light" this feels she loves them. I think that this bar appeals to a wider market that may not be interested in a straight protein bar.
    ----Value: 8/10----
    Coming in at just about $23/15 bars the value here is pretty average for protein bars. They do not reach the low price point that would make them really appealing to the wider market but for me and other fitness enthusiasts this isn't a totally outrageous price for protein bars.

Conclusion

Overall, i would highly recommend these protein bars for anyone looking for some variety or for smaller snacks throughout their day. Amazing flavor and macros make this an absolute sure repurchase for me.

2.5
      August 22, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Mixability
    • Poor Dosing

First of all, this is the first real pump enhancer that I have ever tried and so I was excited to give it a shot. I had seen advertisements hyping up the stacking of this and EVL's preworkout ENGN (which I am a fan of). Upon looking at the ingredient list I was none too impressed at the sparse offerings in the label but given that ENGN has essentially NO real effective pump agents I figured something was better than nothing. Still, it was a little too expensive for me until amazon had a lightning deal which put 30 servings at $10 and gave me the chance to try it out....

Vitamin C: 500mg
    Vitamin D: 500IU

Hydromax Glycerol: 1500mg
    Betaine Nitrate: 1000mg

That is it. There is no Citrulline malate, L-Citrulline, Arginine, etc. The only pump enhancers in this formula are the Betaine and the Glycerol. Both of these ingredients are underdoes in my opinion as well.

The jury is still out on whether or not Glycerol actually helps with pump all that much the only thing we're sure of is that it aids in hydration. Even with it's assistance in the pump being dubious it is typically dosed at 3g minimum to have a noticeable effect. In this formula it comes in at half of that making it not really practical for what it is supposed to be used for.

The Betaine has a little more scientific backing behind it but even that comes in underdosed at 1g rather than the 1.5-2g we typically see in products like this.

So all in all on the ingredient profile, it is incredibly underwhelming

Taste/Mixability

The mixability on this product is fine if a little bit chalky. I usually mix it with my preworkout so I do not really notice any problems with taste or consistency but I have a couple of times mixed it with my protein pre workout and it makes the drink taste really sour and unpleasant. Like I said, in the preworkout I can hardly tell it is there but it is not something that I would want to drink on its own.

The effectiveness is just about what you would expect from the label: underwhelming. I noticed no tangible enhancements to pump or recovery that I would attribute in a major way to this product. The only reason that the score for this section is not lower is because, even if it is placebo, there was a little bit of an effect. The betaine specifically is also an ingredient that should have been more prominent in the ENGN proper so its inclusion here is nice.

For this ingredient list, the $18.99 per 30 servings they charge on amazon is outrageous. These ingredients should be in every tub of ENGN and not on their own, but if EVL insists on putting it out on its own they need to charge accordingly. To me, the price for what you are getting does not merit the purchase even once.

Side Effects

No real side effects that I can think of.

Conclusion

Overall, I was very disappointed in this product because I have come to be a fan of the EVL lineup. Would not recommend this to anyone looking for a good pump enhancer and I don't plan on ever buying this again for myself. The only people I would recommend this for are people who really love the ENGN preworkout but, like me, want these ingredients in there.

August 22, 2017

• Effective Energy
    • Great Energy Drink Replacement
    • No Prop Blend

I've typically been a person who loves to have their morning and afternoon coffee so I wasn't sure that this product was for me. After using it almost daily for a month or so now it's almost entirely replaced coffee in my life. Used as a preworkout a few times but mostly just for an energy boost through the day.

BCAAs: the standard BCAA mix that we all know comes standard in the 2:1:1 we're all familiar with. Proven time after time to be effective for most people.

Beta alanine: this product also comes with 500mg of Beta alanine which isn'...

Beta alanine: this product also comes with 500mg of Beta alanine which isn't a large dose by any means but feels like a perfect lil jitter for me throughout the day.

Taurine: 500mg of Taurine come in this product which honestly I could do with the full gram but it works fine for what it is. A little disappointing but not a deal breaker.

L-Alanine: 500mg of alanine comes standard which won't really do a lot for you other than the supposed aid in synthesis of new proteins. Probably not actually necessary or useful but nice to have on the label.

Caffeine: 110mg of caffeine coming from natural sources which is the perfect amount for a lil mid day kick (just about the same as an americano)

Other than that there are some vitamins that help with absorption. My favorite thing about this label is the fact that it's not propietary! I was going back and forth between this and AMINO energy and the deciding factor is really the fact that I really don't like propietary labels. The only thing that I would add to this supplement is some betaine (which I believe the Amino energy has).

Taste/Mixability

I have four flavors: Vanilla Latte, Mango peach, pineapple, and cherry limeade.

The vanilla latte and the cherry limeade are fantastic and the main ones I draw from. Kind of wish that we had the variety here that you get in the Amino energy but I imagine that will come with time. The pineapple and mango peach are a little sweet and have a sort of artificial aftertaste but are still pretty good to sip on for an afternoon.

I noticed no problem with mixability even for the vanilla latte one which is a little bit thicker.

Like I said, this product has entirely replaced coffee in my life as my go to energy kick and I really love coffee. It also works as a really effective light pre workout for days when I don't need the big kick from some more heavy stim pre workouts. The beta alanine and the Taurine work beautifully in synthesis with the caffeine to make you feel more physically and mentally alert with basically no crash.
      If you are interested in using this as a "preworkout light" I would recommend taking it exactly as you would any other preworkout (1-2 scoops, 20-30 mins before) and see how it treats you. Obviously you won't have the same power output or endurance as a real fully dosed preworkout but I know that at least for me I had all of the energy and mental focus that I need to push through a workout.

The value for this product is just alright (typically at about 68cents per serving). Not fantastic but I compare it to a cup of coffee being a minimum of about $2 at a stand. Plus, they frequently run good sales at bodybuilding.com (I got 90 servings for $33) which can help you make that leap with the price point. I use a maximum of two servings a day so it works out just fine for my wallet.

Side Effects

No real side effects for me (ie crashes, headaches, dizziness, etc).

Conclusion

Overall I would absolutely recommend this product for anyone who wants a light preworkout or a replacement for coffee. If neither of those sound appealing to you then this product probably isn't for you. Also remember that If you are averse to using caffeine this product has it no matter what you do. I love the fact that I can have a more muscle friendly replacement to my cup of joe.

August 21, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Tasting
      • Good On Digestion
      • Propietary Blend

This was the first protein blend that I had ever tried. I had always used Gold Standard (which I guess is technically a blend but only of fast digesting proteins) and impact whey so I was excited to try a proper blend of fast and slow digesting proteins. I considered Combat whey by musclepharm but the amino spiking allegations turned me off so I chose this product because I am generally a fan of EVL products and it is basically a clone of combat powder according to the ingredient list.

The main feature is the 5 protein blend consisting of...

The main feature is the 5 protein blend consisting of (in order of most common to least) whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, whey protein hydroslate, casein, and egg white protein. While this is a pretty good list of proteins, hitting all of the marks for me as far was what kind of quality proteins I want to be putting in my body in a shake, I really do not like how the exact ratio of the proteins is non disclosed. For me, this leads to paranoia that its about 95% fast digesting proteins and only 5% casein and egg white proteins (especially because it is not notably thicker than any other whey concentrate on mixing). I have no problem with fast digesting proteins after or before a workout but the problem comes when you want to use it between meals, before bed, etc.

The point of a protein blend with slower digesting proteins is that it will keep you in an anabolic state longer but if the anabolic state is really diminished by just having one or two of the proteins being dominant then it is no better than any other whey protein concentrate in my opinion.

The other things on this ingredient label that I do like is the glutamine blend added in and the proteases near the bottom of the label. The glutamine is sort of accessory and neat but I like having the protease blend in the protein to aid some in digestion.

Taste/Mixability

The taste and mixability of this protein really are top notch, up there with the gold standard protein which I consider to be top tier. I usually put 1-1.5 scoops into about 1.25 cups of water and after shaking for just about 10 seconds it was just as smooth as any protein that I have had.

As far as taste, I got the chocolate decadence and the chocolate peanut butter. The chocolate decadence was just about the most boiler plate basic chocolate protein that we have all had a million times. It was not bad, but it certainly wasn't something that I would buy again based just on taste. The chocolate peanut butter was great and one of the better tasting proteins that I have had. If I order another tub of stacked protein this is likely the flavor that I would go with.

You know I have never really noticed that a single protein brand has given me better results than another brand. I have always been a person who kind of thinks that as long as you are getting some sort of fast digesting protein into your body post workout you will be just fine. With that being said, I think that over the past 2 months of using this protein I would say that the results have been positive. I would typically do 1 scoop preworkout with an apple and 1.5 scoop post workout with some gummy bears or marshmallows. I have noticed that my recovery has been just about the same as it was with any other protein but my performance in gym and ability to retain muscle mass while dropping weight has increased. Whether this is placebo or due to some outside factor is entirely possible as well. Since starting this protein I have cut calories some and tried to drop some body fat. I have noticed that this protein helped some more than the impact whey by myprotein did when I tried the same thing with that protein, but I wouldn't say it merits a purchase based on that. A million other factors could have contributed to this being the case for me.

The value is just about what I would expect for protein nowadays. Not overly cheap but not too expensive either when compared to its contemporaries. Bodybuilding.com has a basically permanent "2 for $75" sale on their site for the 4lb size option (98 servings total). Like I said, not on the cheaper end of proteins but not outrageous in my mind.

Conclusion

Overall, I think that this a solid protein choice and that anyone who bought it would not regret their purchase. However, I think that on my next protein purchase I will try and opt for a non proprietary blend.

August 11, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Cherry Limeade
      • Sweaty
      • Long Lasting Energy
      • Not Too Much Pump

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
      My goals are pretty straight forward at the moment. I am not looking to get super shredded or massive I just want to get to 1/2/3/4 lift and keep somewhat leaned out while doing so. I do not take any fat burning supplements outside of this product but I do keep a small caloric deficit at most times.

For the ingredients portion I will focus mostly on the "Shred matrix" which is the main thing that differentiates this product from the regular ENGN product that EVL offers.
      CLA (500mg)
      L-Carnitine L-Tart...

CLA (500mg)
      L-Carnitine L-Tartrate (500mg)
      Coleus Extract (100mg)
      Yohimbe Bark Extract (40mg)
      Capsimax (25mg)

As you can see, most of this is just stuff that you would find in most fat burning supplements but here they are meant to initiate the fat burning process along with the exercise.

Along with the "Shred matrix" the ingredient list is almost identical to that of the regular ENGN product so it comes with all of the problems that ENGN has as far as dosing (https://supplementreviews.com/evlution-nutrition/engn#pdbody-reviews). The only other big difference between the two is that this product comes with NO creatine which is to be expected in any product that has "Shred" in the title.

The taste are mixability are pretty much on par with the regular ENGN product: top notch. No clumping, no grainy texture, great taste, pretty much across the board the product excels on this front.

I think that the effectiveness is kind of a mixed bag. While I certainly sweat A LOT using this product, I wouldn't say that it inherently aids fat loss efforts more than any other pre-workout would. Aside from the staple of "It makes you actually drip sweat" I think that this is a pretty mixed pre-workout.

Energy and focus: the energy is probably the highlight of the ENGN line for me. It is long lasting, intense and doesn't lead to a crash. I feel as amped and ready to go an hour into my workout as I do 10 minutes in. As far as focus it kind of goes hand in hand where with these two things in synthesis the product makes it kind of hard for me to leave the gym sometimes.

Power and Strength: this is where my experience with ENGN Shred is a little bit disappointing. I do not get any real "increased power output" from this product and I feel that I am no stronger than if I just drank a cup of coffee before hitting the gym. If anything, the lack of creatine can lead to decreased power output and strength (i sometimes add my own monohydrate)

Duration: As I mentioned in the focus and energy part, the longevity of this pre-workout is pretty outstanding. With even a half scoop I am motivated to stay even past the 1.5 hour mark with no real side effects.

The value is pretty run of the mill for pre-workouts with it coming in at just about $30/30 servings depending on where you look. I don't think that it is necessarily an unreasonable price considering how much some other pre-workouts are these days but it limits me from going to wild with buying it as it is more than I would like to spend most of the time.

Side Effects

I don't think there are any real side effects to mention other than the aforementioned sweating thing. Personally i loved it but if you don't like to sweat too much at any one gym session (first of all: you're weird) then this product might not be for you.

Conclusion

Overall i think that ENGN Shred is a solid choice for a pre-workout and while there are certainly better options out there for some people this is one that i will keep in my supplement shelf for the foreseeable future.

August 11, 2017

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Taste Good
      • Mixes Easily
      • Reduced Fatigue
      • No Pumps
      • Proprietary Blend Was Used

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
      My name is Jarrod Bright. I am 20 years old and have been lifting weights for coming up on three years now (5'11/170lbs). Not new to supplements but never really payed much attention past "how much protein is in this?" until recently. Found out about this website through doing my own research on supplements and really liked it so i decided to make an account. Wanted to do my first review on this product because i have 3 tubs with three different flavors of it and thought i could have some good insight. My personal fitness goals are to be a leaned out 180 able to hit the coveted 1/2/3/4 lifting stats. Other products that i think i might review are myprotein impact whey and some different protein bars (quest hero, oh yeah! One bars, etc) because these are items that i am familiar with.

This is where ENGN kind of falters for me. While the caffeine is certainly fully dosed, everything else in this ingredient list points to it being a two scooper. Between the Beta-Alanine only being at 1.6 grams and not very much pump agent in this thing you would think that it is a two scooper similar to C4 or muscletech pre-workout. The problem with that is that there is way too much caffeine for this to be a safe two scooper (260mg!).
      The other problem i have with this ingredient list is that it contains a proprietary blend which I am not a fan of because I want to know how much is in the pre-workout that i am buying. This pre-workout also does not contain almost any pump agent and absolutely no Taurine.

The taste of the ENGN is pretty top notch with there also being no identifiable issues with mixing. As i said before some of the dosing for me was kind of an issue but the taste really is pretty fantastic (with Furious Grape being the real standout!).

The funny thing about all of the dosing of the pre-workout and the fact that some things might be underdosed it is still one of the better pre-workouts that i have ever used. For me, it is one of the unique products that has me as energized an hour and a half in as i am 20 minutes in (if not more so). This is super important for me as i like to take relatively longer rest times on certain days so my gym sessions end up being a little longer. Because of this fact, ENGN is a mainstay for me on leg day for sure. While i do not think that this pre-workout is for everyone (people who are used to more stim heavy pre-workouts may be turned off) it certainly does the job for me on a consistent basis with even a half scoop doing a fine job for a morning session.

The value is not exceptional if you take the average route of bodybuilding.com or their site (evlnutrition.com) with it coming in at just about $25/30 servings. IF you buy from Amazon you can go to evlnutrition.com/free, put in your order number and get another ENGN for free! AND if you rate the product 5 stars on that page you can get an email from a sales rep offering another free product if you rate it 5/5 on Amazon. SO while i wouldn't depend on this deal time after time, i did manage to get 90 servings for $20 doing this which worked out well for me (broke college student!)

Side Effects

There aren't really any side effects that i would note on this other than what you would expect from just about any stim heavy pre-workout such as restlessness, some possible jitters, energy, etc.

Conclusion

Overall, aside from some glaring dosing issues (pump formula, beta alanine, taurine, etc.) and the inclusion of a proprietary blend i think that ENGN is a pre-workout that would satisfy most gym rats. T With the effects and the good taste that this pre-workout boasts it is absolutely among the top tier in my mind.