Diesel656

• Member has been active for 6 years, and was last online today

Reviews by Diesel656

August 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Hydration
  • Good During Workout
  • Low Bcaa Quantities
  • Bad Fruit Punch Flavor

The newest version of Amino1 has not become a staple of mine but whenever I find it on sale I make sure to add it to my arsenal.

A 30-year-old male that does double days more often than not while trying to build my second business as quickly as possible. I am vegetarian so supplementation is fairly essential with the way I train and if I am not getting enough of something my body makes it very clear. Although this is marketed as a post workout I have used it as an intra with notable success.

Lots of aminos indeed. I act...

Lots of aminos indeed. I actually really like the spread on this though I do wish they included more BCAAs and with regard to a few of the ingredients (taurine and glutamine specifically) I am already getting plenty. The profile includes

3g Arginine AKG to aid in nutrient delivery to muscle tissue via NO production.
1g Taurine which helps to maintain proper hydration and electrolyte balance. This is a solid dose especially since just about every decent PWO adds 1 to 2gs these days.
3g of a BCAA blend in a 3:1:2 ratio which is a dosed a little low.
1g of L-Glutamine which aids in muscle tissue repair and is critical to the immune system. 1g is fine considering this should only be holding you over just until your post workout meal which will have plenty.
1g of L-Alanine which has been shown to prevent and used in the glucose energy conversion process.
1g of L-Glycine which has been shown to aid in avoiding inflammation and encourage muscle and joint tissue repair among other functions. 1g is an acceptable dose.
200mg of coconut water to further aid with hydration and electrolyte balance.

I'm not huge on the artificial flavors and AceK especially because it already tastes mediocre at best.

Taste

I do not like fruit punch anything but it seems to be the flavor I always find on sale. As far as fruit punch goes, this one is alright in that it is a more subtle flavor with no bitter after taste.

Mixability

Mixes well with no issues. I usually mix it with about 16oz of water and begin sipping on it halfway through my routines while occasionally filling my bottle back up. This continuously dilutes the flavor and spreads out the dose though consequently it is front end heavy with this method.

Kind of like protein I really look for what I don't experience. I do not ever get muscle cramps with this, soreness is kept to a minimum, I never get that cottonmouth from too much time training and I never bloat like I do occasionally when I go between dehydrated and hydrated states. I would say this product does everything it is designed to do.

Muscle Pharm does include some ingredients to help with protein synthesis and nitric oxide production but I am not able to see any measurable difference in my gains due to this alone. The fact that it seems to help keep my muscles from ever really breaking down to the point where I have to take an extra recovery day is plenty.

I got my tubs for $11 each so at this price the value is off the charts. Most often however I see the average price is around $22 or so. Considering the lower dose of BCAAs and the likelihood that when using this as an intra/post product you may be dosing some aminos that were already covered in your pre-workout I would say the value is average. Although, if you are taking things such as Taurine and Glutamine separately this is an even more beneficial product and a heck of a lot more convenient than worrying about popping capsules or mixing in more powders.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Recovery products like these are always hard for me to get excited about. They could be the most well-designed products in the entire world and then. Nothing happens. But I suppose that's as good as it gets. No soreness, no cramping, no exhaustion and no dehydration. I would not go out of my way to spend money on this product at full retail as most of the potentially beneficial ingredients are already covered for me in other products. I have not noticed any significant improvement in recovery or gains by adding this product to my routine. That said I have been pushing my body harder these past few months than I ever have before while on a diet where it is significantly harder for me to get the levels of protein I was once accustomed to. All the while, I haven't slowed down a bit.

August 5, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS

A decent budget intra workout product that works well with 2 scoops to fend off catabolism and DOMS. The flavor however does not work so well and I am not a fan of the artificial ingredients including color.

A now 30-year-old male that once upon a time was in school for nutrition science and still keeps up with medical/scholarly journals. I worked at GNC throughout college so I was able to test a nice spread of products. I have been lifting for the better part of a decade however only recently (past few years) have I started utilizing BCAAs and other amino based intras regularly. With mixed results I have continued using them with the mentality that they cannot hurt.

Ingredient Profile 7/10

Pretty standard stuff here. Downside being you need 2 scoops to get the proper amount of BCAAs.

4gs of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in a 2:1:1 ratio to aid protein synthesis and reduce catabolism. I do not feel that 4 grams is enough to make a significant difference so this supplement requires 2 scoops.

1g of Glutamine which helps with muscle tissue repair and sparing. An hour of exercise can reduce glutamine in the body by up to 40% so supplementing this non-essential amino can be very beneficial of the course of an exercise routine. Glutamine also boosts the immune system which further aids recovery and overall health. Per 2 scoops, the 2 grams is enough to reap the benefits.

1g of Taurine to help reduce muscle fatigue and damage as well as aiding hydration and efficient metabolic regulation. Again, per 2 scoops the 2 grams is plenty.

100mg of coconut water which helps with hydration and electrolyte balance. 200mg per my 2 scoops is adequate.

I would love to see zero artificial anything. The exclusion of aspartame is welcomed but it still has AceK. I will constantly harp on the fact that artificial color is supremely stupid, whether it be sourced from bugs or harvest waste or industrial byproducts I do not care. There is no reason to add something to color my water and stain anything it touches while potentially providing negative health implications. I hate artificial colors. Zero benefit, only downsides.

Taste 5/10

I have only had the fruit punch flavor and it tastes like cough syrup. There is no real lingering taste but I would say this flavor is only tolerable. Fruit punch is my least favorite flavor across the board so I may be unfairly critical of this.

Mixability 8/10

This product mixes well enough. I would place 2 scoops in an empty water bottle, fill it with about 20oz of water and shake it only a few times while walking into the gym. There would be some settling over the course of my lifting sessions but one quick shake would suspend almost all of the powder in water.

Effectiveness 8/10

Intras really work best when absolutely nothing is noticed. No soreness, no cramping, no cotton mouth and no other issues. I have been doing double days 6 days a week, stepping my macros up considerably and using this Six Star Amino Max while training and have noticed no additional soreness. That is the highest praise I can give an intra. That said, I haven't noticed any significantly reduced soreness vs other intras and I have never had muscle cramping so I am not certain if this product is helpful in preventing that. At most it has helped a problem that wasn't there.

Against no supplementation whatsoever this product does in fact help my recovery times. I have not once felt the type of soreness that limits my activity the next day while taking this. Even after leg days I am able to function (relatively) normally.

Value 7/10

There is a RiteAid near my girlfriend's house that I make a habit of stopping by because their clearance rack is incredible. The only reason I tried this product is because it along with a few other supplements from GNC, EAS, etc were 75% off the RiteAid/GNC price. I paid $5 for the container and therefor 33 cents a per 2 scoop serving. If you have aminos in your pre which is becoming common these days 1 scoop would be enough and it would have been half that.

At the normal price of $20 per tub I would say this product is slightly above average. 1.5 scoops would probably be the sweet spot so you are coming in at about a $1 a scoop and are getting some extras beyond the basic BCAAs.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 7/10

This product does what it should at 2 scoops. The flavor isn't my favorite but it mixes well and I am able to sip on it throughout my workouts without gagging. Also helps knowing while I stay hydrated (I am better about drinking water while exercising when it has some flavor and added benefits) I am going to have a much easier time functioning the next day. Without crazy soreness I am able to get back into the gym to keep chasing those PRs much more consistently.

August 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Life Saver
  • A Bargain
  • Replaces Several Products
  • One Scooper
  • Artificial Ingredients

A great product for clearing counter space and useful for more than just gains in the gym despite mixing poorly and having some unnecessary ingredients.

Hello again SR community. It has been a while since I participated with reviews or the forums because well, life. So, for my first review coming back I have picked a product that I have a complicated relationship with from a company I have mixed feelings about. Nice and straight forward, right? Additionally I will be reviewing this product with a different perspective than most because I actually use this product to correct my severe low blood sugars as a type 1 diabetic when not using it for training purposes. Without further ado...

Ingredient Profile 9/10

This product is interesting to me in that it effectively replaces a few products I take individually and in a not so Muscletech tradition, one scoop will do you for most ingredients. I also appreciate the clear breakdown of most of the support compounds.

The 3.5g of creatine monohydrate and 1.5g of creating HCl per scoop is a sufficient amount of creatine.

1g of Taurine is a nice touch as well as the 1g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. Is the 1g of BCAA going to replace your need for a post workout meal? Of course not but it is a nice addition to support protein synthesis especially in an environment where insulin is already skyrocketing and catabolism should be effectively shut down.

The addition of 100mg of R-ALA is what surprised me the most. I am a big believer in ALA and its potent antioxidant capacity. R-ALA is the bioactive form but has relatively poor bioavailability relative to Na-R-ALA but nonetheless I love the inclusion of one of my favorite antioxidants and at a reasonable dose no less. Again, this didn't used to be customary for MuscleTech so I am pleased to see the apparent change in philosophy.

Lots of sugar, yes. 15g to be exact per scoop. This is by design and the reason I keep using this product! The blend includes glucose polymers, dextrose and ModCarb.

I don't like the artificial flavors, sweeteners and I especially don't like the coloring. Who the hell cares what color the powder turns into?

Taste 8/10

The fruit punch flavor is fine for me. I never really care much about the flavor of things and this reminds me of what Capri Sun tasted like at one point. Possibly even sweeter. I do not mind the flavor at all though I do not ever crave it. Also the amount of liquid you mix in with this affects the flavor quite substantially.

Mixability 5/10

This does not mix well. It makes some goopy clumps that I end up just chewing because again the flavor doesn't bug me and it doesn't have a harsh taste when eating some of the powder.

Effectiveness 10/10

With the inclusion of glucose polymers (sugar), dextrose (sugar) and ModCarb it has got to be one of the quickest absorbing sources of glucose (sugar, and what all carbs are eventually broken down into) I have ever used. I know this because when I become hypoglycemic due to my type 1 diabetes I need glucose and I need it fast. No other product has worked better for me and this includes products created specifically for the treatment of low blood sugar.

This product has literally saved my life once when I was unable to get to an emergency treatment.

For those without needing to use this as a blood sugar correcting tool, the spike in blood sugar will trigger your body to pump out plenty of insulin. The insulin release will trigger an anabolic environment, cater to muscle repair and help shuttle nutrients into tissues throughout the body. It will also rapidly restore muscle glycogen. In this case, the sugars are a good thing.

As far as gains in the gym go, it is hard for me to say how effective this product is as I am always making sure I get a decent dose of creatine one way or another and I am anal about my diet and nutrient timing. I will say that taking this in place of 3 other products (creatine, an intra-workout and standalone ALA) I have noticed no decline in performance or progress. Because of this, I think this is a supremely effective product.

Value 9/10

I see it online for about $32 for the 6lb tub. That is only 60 cents a serving and with it effectively replacing 3 products for me (not including glucose tablets for low blood sugars) this is a bargain.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 9/10

Cell is one of the very few products I always keep on hand. With its ability to spike blood glucose levels while shuttling in BCAAs and potent antioxidants as well as an effective dose of creatine I think it is a wonderful product for most that appreciate an all-in-one drink it and forget it approach. It isn't perfect as it has some artificial ingredients I really don't appreciate and the flavor is lackluster but for me personally, it has been a life saver.

November 9, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Strength
  • Bowel Issues
AnoTest is the first product I have tried from the new MuscleTech Performance Series. I have long avoided MuscleTech products due to their price, their labeling and the reviews but after the revamp I was anxious to give their line a shot. So far, I am quite pleased.

Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%*
Sugar 0g "
Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 2mg 100%
Folic Acid 200mcg 50%
Vitamin B12 1mcg 17%
Zinc (As Zinc Gluconate) 7.5mg 50%
Testosterone-Boosting Complex
D-Aspartic Acid 1,560mg "
L-Carnitine Tartrate 1,466mg "
Supplying L-Carnitine 1,000mg "
...

Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%*
Sugar 0g "
Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 2mg 100%
Folic Acid 200mcg 50%
Vitamin B12 1mcg 17%
Zinc (As Zinc Gluconate) 7.5mg 50%
Testosterone-Boosting Complex
D-Aspartic Acid 1,560mg "
L-Carnitine Tartrate 1,466mg "
Supplying L-Carnitine 1,000mg "
Boron Citrate 100mg "
Supplying Boron 100mg "
Cortisol-Lowering And Recovery Complex
L-Glutamine 1,000mg "
L-Leucine 900mg "
L-Valine 375mg "
L-Isoleucine 375mg "

The profile on this product is very clean and the dose of every single ingredient clearly shown. In fact the compounds are even broken down showing how much of a certain ingredient or element they provide. This is a complete about face for MuscleTech and a huge step in the right direction. AnoTest is primarily a DAA supplement but there are additions of other ingredients that amplify the test boosting potential as well as a nice BCAA and glutamine blend.

The DAA is fully dosed (with two scoops) and is the backbone of this product. Tried and true, I wont beat a dead horse.

The L-Carnitine L-Tartate is a popular ingredient in a wide range of athletic supplements but its main purpose here is a relatively novel one. LCLT has shown in many studies to reduce muscle tissue damage in acute bouts of resistance training. With less muscle tissue damage there are more hormonal receptor cites available thus increasing an athlete's anabolic potential. The amount in AnoTest is at or above what most studies used.

The Boron Citrate is an interesting addition but not a new idea. Boron supplements used to be big in the 90s but died out before too long. It may be making a comeback though, as some new research is finding that boron dosed daily can increase free testosterone, reduce SHBG and reduce estradiol (a type of estrogen). Hence the estradiol lowering claim on the label. The dose used in the study was 11.6mg of boron so with two scoops you come close with 10mg.

Taste and Mixability - 8/10

I am not a huge fan of fruit punch flavors but this one was pretty good. It hid the flavor of the DAA well and the after taste was rather sweet instead of the usual sour.

It mixed well with the exception of some white particulates that were most likely the LCLT as I have the same problem with my bulk powder LCLT. The coloring also lingers in any shaker bottle - not a big issue but I am sure this stuff can stain.

Effectiveness - 8/10

As a 24 year old I am already producing plenty of testosterone. That being said, I believe AnoTest boosted it even higher though as I had not gotten blood tests it will be a purely anecdotal assessment. I began taking two scoops every morning on an empty stomach the same week I began my bulk and after my second week on cycle I noticed a difference in intensity, recovery and progression. Part of this was no doubt due to the fact I was off a cut and taking in twice as many calories but my alpha male mentality was in full swing and I was in the mind set where I wanted to kill weights. I was adding weight to my routines about 50% faster than I had on my previous bulk and my recovery was still relatively quick.

The only drawback was one I get from any and all DAA products. About thirty minutes to an hour after drinking this, I would be running to the bathroom.

Value - 5/10

This is where this product falters. I received this for free but online you can pick it up for $40-50 which means you are going to be paying at the very least $2 per serving at two scoops a serving. It's a great product but when you can pick up bulk DAA powder for such a better price it makes you wonder if the boron, LCLT, amino acids and some flavoring are worth it.

Overall - 8/10

I really liked this product and I imagine men older than myself would get even more out of it. The convenience, clean profile, good taste and obvious thought (ie well rounded) put into this product would put it on top if the price weren't dragging it down.

October 17, 2012

• Increase Strength
  • 30 Real Servings
This review will be covering the new Pump Fuel V.2, one of my favorite PWOs around. I have tried most on the market so I have plenty to compare it to and very few others come close. It isn't mentioned much but I think this product should be on everyone's radar whether you need the stimmed out Insanity or need a late night/off cycle caffeine free version.

Profile - 10/10

It's a huge ingredient list so I will only cover the highlights. It has 2 grams of Kre-Alkalyn and 1 gram of MagnaPower creatines, both very high quality and bloat free. It includes a little over 2 grams of a few different types of arginine and coupled with the beet extract and citrulline/norvaline combo the pump complex is great. The inclusion of a carb matrix featuring waxy maize and maltodextrin helps spike insulin and drive all the nutrients into muscle tissue. There is also plenty of L-Carnitine in each serving which is a huge plus for me as I am usually adding LCLT to everything.
I do think they could have bumped the beta-alanine up over 3 grams which most studies suggest but I feel the tingles nonetheless.
It's important to note that with this second generation of Pump Fuels there are now three different energy levels; caffeine free, the regular and Insanity. Insanity adds the energy blend of PMDs ACG3 (extra caffeine, synephrine and amla fruit) to the Pump Fuel.

Taste and Mixability - 9/10

I love all the flavors but my favorite is Cherry Limeade. It's not to sweet and is almost good enough to drink for the sake of enjoyment. The carbohydrate mix gives it an almost creamy consistency and consequently can sometimes clump a little bit.

Effectiveness - 10/10

Strength/Endurance - I am always impressed with this PWO for its ability to let me push up that one extra rep I didn't think I could do or add ten more minutes to my run. It's a subtle effect much like having a reserve tank. The power doesn't come on brutal and fast as it does with some of my other favorite PWOs (VPX Friction) but it is longer lasting. I can stay in the gym longer after taking Pump Fuel than in any other circumstance. The pumps on this product are incredible as well, often times almost becoming painful on arm day.

Energy/Focus - With the regular stimulant base the energy is clean and long lasting. It's a sort of background energy where you are feeling good and can keep going but you don't feel high. The focus is also great thanks in part I am sure to the vinpocetine and phosphatidyl serine.

Value - 7/10

This is the most expensive (retail) pre-workout I have ever used. Most of the time because these are really only sold through franchised GNCs you can work the price down. A lot. I only pay $28 for these and I know most people can easily get them for $50. So at $50 for 30 servings this is still pretty pricey but each scoop is very well dosed. So well dosed with a few ingredients in particular (carnitine, creatine and N.O. complex) that further supplementation of those can be unnecessary, saving you some money.

Overall - 9/10

The profile on this product is the best I have seen in the segment. The few complaints I have are the 2.5g of beta alanine and less than perfect mixability but this is an otherwise perfect PWO. The only thing really weighing it down is the price. Work around that and this is a 10.

October 16, 2012

• Good Price
  • Good Recovery
  • Low Sodium
  • No Fillers
    Protein isn't the most exciting thing to write about. It doesn't get you feeling high, double your endurance threshold or make your free test skyrocket. The difference is that protein is a staple for most of us and the right protein can increase recovery time and even taste good. On the other hand, the wrong protein can have you shacked up in the bathroom or fumigating whichever room you're in. This review will look at Ultimate Nutrition's Prostar 100% Whey and aid you in deciding whether it will help you continue killing the weights or have you punishing your toilet.

...

Profile - 10/10

The first ingredient is the protein blend comprised of; whey isolate, followed by concentrate and peptides. After the blend comes cocoa, the flavorings, salt, sucralose, Ace-K and soy lecithin - a very clean ingredient list.

The macronutrient profile is clean as well. There is only 1 gram of fat of which 0.5 grams is saturated. The cholesterol and sodium are both low at 20 and 30mg respectively. There are only 2 grams of carbohydrates and just 1 gram of sugar. With 25 grams of protein in each scoop the total calories round out at a lean 120.

My favorite aspect of this protein is the blend itself. Whey isolate is all the rage and rightfully so. It is very low calorie, has an excellent amino acid profile, so on and so forth but there are some drawbacks. Because of the extensive filtration, WPI tends to be lower in some vital protein fractions such as lactoferrin and health-promoting immunoglobulins than WPC. By adding WPC to the mostly WPI blend in addition to using low temperature processing, Ultimate Nutrition has created an extremely bioactive protein.

The amino acid profile is also very impressive. There are 6 grams of BCAAs in each of the 80 scoops. My favorite aspect of the amino acid profile however, is the 920mg of L-Cystine. L-Cystine is the limiting component in the production of Glutathione - an extremely powerful antioxidant critical in protein synthesis and even regulating nitric oxide levels. For reference, in heavily denatured proteins (most) L-Cystine can be in the low 400 or even high 300mg range, greatly reducing the overall health benefit the protein offers.

Taste and Mixability - 9/10

I am only able to comment on one flavor and that is the Chocolate Mint. The flavor is relatively mild and while not being overly sweet it tastes like a dessert. The smooth mint aftertaste is perfect and there is no bitterness whatsoever. There are a few very small clumps left behind but they are hardly noticeable and not powdery. The overall consistency is very light and pleasant.

Effectiveness - 10/10

It's hard to really determine the 'effectiveness' of a protein. What is easy to determine though, is how it is tolerated. This Prostar protein has not given me any bloating, stomach upset or heartburn and like most WPIs it doesn't seem to sit in my stomach long.

Without the addition of any other supplements and without any change to diet and exercise I have noticed a slight decrease in recovery time. Again, protein is just one of those things that when working correctly falls into the background. As I have had absolutely no problems with it, this protein receives a ten.

Value - 10/10

I was shipped ~16 pounds (3 large tubs) for $111. Keep in mind that each tub has 80 servings and each scoop is 25 grams of protein. When you consider the cost per gram of protein, it is one of the cheapest. Comparing this to some of the more "bioactive" proteins, the price looks even better.

Overall - 10/10

I am well aware there were very high marks in this review and I assure you I don't throw tens around easily - this protein is just that good. The cost, flavor and minimal ingredient list make this protein very good. The protein quality, amino acid profile and protein fractions at this price make it phenomenal.

If your only concern is hitting your macros there may be a more cost effective protein out there. If you are like me however, the additional all around health boosting properties this protein offers make it the one to beat.

October 15, 2012

• Long Lasting
    • No Crash
    • Perhaps Too Strong
    Well, after stalking the forums and reading countless reviews on this site for over a year I have finally made an account and will begin contributing.

I have tried over thirty different PWOs from Omega Sports Ultima (no stim) to Muscle Marinade (holy stim!) and everything in between yet this is the one I have enjoyed most.

Flavor/Mixability - 8/10

Flavor/Mixability - 8/10
    I have tried all three flavors; lemonade, watermelon and exotic fruit. Lemonade was my favorite as the slight bitterness lent itself quite well to the way lemonade should taste though all were palatable and go down easily. Friction can tend to get a little clumpy in the container but even so mixes instantly.

Profile - 9/10
    The highlights of the profile are easily the full 3.25 grams of beta-alanine and 5 grams of creatine (mostly monohydrate and partly creatine/leucinate peptide) per scoop. I am a sucker for a fully dosed single scoop. The B-phenylethylamine is a nice touch and their dopaminergic compound is an interesting addition that I will mention again later.

Possible shortcomings for some would be firstly the lack of vasodilators, though I don't care at all about those. Secondly, I would love for there to be some form of carnitine and lastly 400mg of caffeine in addition to other stimulants may be way too much for some.

Effectiveness - 9/10
    The part that really matters. Friction is one of only two PWOs that have given me that oh so coveted "tunnel vision". The energy comes on fast and strong but there is never a real uncomfortable peak nor is there a crash. The dopaminergic compound in Friction is responsible, I suspect, for some of the elevated mood I get after taking this product. I get to the gym and want to kill it, but with a smile on my face. The energy can keep up with me easily through an hour of weights and another hour of cardio and beyond.

As far as lifting performance goes, strength is good and endurance is increased. I can add another rep or two without fail when taking this vs. no PWO. Having said that, keep in mind it is a concentrate and as with any the emphasis is more on energy.

In fact the energy is the one con I find. Sometimes even for me it is just too much as the stimulant base is very strong.

Value - 8/10
    I bought 12 combo packs of Friction/Meltdown (small size) for $22 each, sold all the Meltdowns, and came out about $20 ahead. The value for me was good. I see all over that these can be picked up for $29.99 so at a dollar a workout it is well priced considering nothing really needs to be added. Hopefully no one pays the full retail as there is no reason to.

Overall - 9/10
    Absolutely one of the best PWOs I have ever used and one of my staples. I have to keep another PWO on hand or split scoops for the days a full dose of Friction would just be too much. If you are at all sensitive to stimulants this may be way too much but for everyone else I highly recommend this product. Especially for those who are going to have withdrawals when the final supply of Jack3d is used up.