Diesel656

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 6 years, and was last online 2 weeks ago

Reviews by Diesel656

Overall
Thanks to VMI Sports for sending it out!
  October 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Hydration
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Endurance
  • Artificial Dyes

The best tasting BCAA product I have ever used with a thoughtful ingredient profile and generous amount of BCAAs per serving.

As with all BCAA products what I hoped to get out of this product was a reduction in soreness and recovery time. This is especially important while I have been in a caloric deficit for the better part of three months and consequently my recovery is generally slower than usual.

A thoughtful profile.

7g BCAAs using a 2:1:1 ratio. The BCAAs are instantized for (theoretically) quicker uptake.

1.25g...

A thoughtful profile.

1.25g of Betaine which aids in muscle performance and regulating homocysteine levels. The dosage is fine here as it is more than likely supplementing a dose you are already taking in your pre-workout.

400mg of MGG or Magnesium Glycinate Glutamine Chelate is a form of Magnesium chelated to Glycine and Glutamine which allows for increased bioavailability. This also allows for the added benefit of the Glutamine in this compound which aids the immune system and tissue recovery.

50mg of each Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium Glycinate. All the patented TRAACS forms and once again designed for increased bioavailability. These assist greatly with maintaining proper hydration levels and electrolyte balance.

50mg of sodium chloride which rounds out the profile and further aids in maintaining proper hydration levels.

I do not like artificial flavors but with a flavor this good I suppose it is expected. I absolutely HATE artificial colors. They are entirely unnecessary and serve no purpose other than to stain clothing and teeth. I really wish these were removed.

Taste

I had the tropical mango flavor and this is easily the best tasting BCAA product I have tried to date. I loved the slightly tangy flavor and what it really reminded me of was a mild pineapple more than anything. I am not usually very concerned with flavor but this is so good I actually look forward to it.

Mixability

Mixed well with almost none of the foam I am accustomed to seeing with most BCAA products. I suppose this could be in large part because of the instantizing of the aminos.

I never have too much to say about the amino products that work well for me. There is just less for me to complain about while taking Aminogex. I feel better after my workouts, especially the cardio sessions, and my soreness is only about as bad as it is when I am in maintenance mode which says something.

My favorite benefit from this product is absolutely zero cramping no matter how hard I am pushing myself or how long. I attribute this to the electrolytes blend which for me personally (possibly because of my diet) make an enormous difference. I will no longer consider a BCAA product that doesn't include some sort of hydration/electrolyte component in their profile.

I have dropped 5lbs of body weight over the course of my taking this alongside LabTech's Full Spectrum RX and the usual whey protein. Nothing else. During that time my lifts have either remained the same or increased slightly. I have zero doubt that Aminogex has helped fend off muscle catabolism during training even while in a caloric deficit. This in my opinion is as good as it gets for a BCAA product.

I see tubs going for $23 with free shipping for 30 TRUE servings. With the added blend of high quality electrolytes, betaine and the promising MGG I think this is a solid value. It doesn't hurt that this tastes so good I wish I could sip on it all day instead of just about anything else.

Side Effects

Conclusion

TLDR is this is my favorite BCAA product on the market. It allows me to push harder for longer without worrying about cramping up while tasting absolutely delicious and being offered at a competitive price.

Also, for what it's worth, I really enjoy the VMI rep. As a trooper I have received 2 shipments of VMI products now and in each package is a friendly handwritten note. I appreciate this a lot and I enjoy the product line as a whole thus far. Keep it up VMI.

Overall
Overall
9.5
9.5
Thanks to LabTech Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
  September 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Insane Ingredient Profile
  • No Proprietary Blends
  • Great Energy And Focus
  • Slight Crashing

This is my new go-to preworkout and one of only two products that I will make sure I always have on hand.

I am a 30-year-old male that has been lifting for about 7 years now. It has only been a year since I decided to start pushing my body further than it has ever gone before both in strength and physique all while switching to a vegetarian diet and starting a second business. With a background in nutrition science I have always been fascinated by the supplement industry but never before have I been so determined to maximize every bit of edge these products can give me.

Preworkouts are the one supplement I cannot do without. I always appreciate the added energy and drive and firmly believe in the effectiveness of many of the core ingredients in PWOs on the market today.

Pump/Endurance Matrix Blend:
Citrulline Malate: 8g Nitric oxide production. An excellent dose.
Beta Alanine: 3.5g Improves muscular endurance. Great dose as 3.2g is a full dose.
L-Taurine: 2250mg Aids in proper muscle function.
Agmatine Sulfate: 1.5g More pump.
AAKG: 1250mg And some more pump.
Beet Root Extract: 1g And a little more pump with the help of this nitrate donor.

Energy/Focus Matrix Blend:
Caffeine Anhydrous: 350mg
L-Dopa: 250mg which aids with mood and focus - certainly works.
N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine: 250 mg
L-Theanine: 200mg Helps curb edginess inherently associated with stimulants.
2-Aminoisoheptane (DMHA): 175mg The new DMAA
L-Norvaline: 100mg - Inhibits the breakdown of nitric oxide
Dendrobium Nobile Extract: 50mg
Higenamine Hydrochloride: 50mg Fat burner
Naringin: 50mg Potent antioxidant.
Phenylethylamine Hydrochloride: 50mg Aids with focus and improvements in mood. Noopept: 30mg - Mood enhancement.
Octopamine Hydrochloride: 30mg
N-Methyl Tyramine Hydrochloride: 25mg
Synephrine Hydrochloride: 20mg Bitter orange extract which is another stimulant/fat burner.
Rutaecarpine: 10mg Fat burning properties similar to capsaicin.
Huperzine A 1%: 10mg Cognitive booster.
Alpha Yohimbine: 1mcg Stimulant.

Mood/Absorption:
Black Pepper Fruit Extract: 5mg
6 7-Dihydroxybergamottin (DHB): 5mg The compound in grapefruit juice that affects the metabolism of certain drugs/compounds. Can adjust the amount of time they spend in the system.

This is the best profile of any preworkout I have seen. It has everything I want and is fully dosed. It does not add the BCAAs that some are including these days but I frankly do not care about that as I get plenty in my pre workout meal and in my intra supplements. The sheer amount of stimulants made me think initially that I would be crawling up the walls and crashing hard a few hours later but as I mention later this is not the case.

I absolutely love that they do not include any artificial colors (which is so stupid to include, thanks for the stains) or flavors and sweeten only with sucralose. This is very clean product.

Taste

The taste is a little bitter but I do not mind this at all. I am extremely impressed with how good Strawberry Kiwi tastes when LabTech uses only natural flavors and sucralose while competing with this long list of (some bad tasting) ingredients. Very well done.

Mixability

Mixes very well. Considering the size of the scoop and the crazy amount of ingredients I never ran into serious clumping or having to worry about doing much more than twirling my blender bottle a couple of times.

Energy and Focus
When I first looked at this ingredient profile I thought it was going to hit my adrenal glands like a truck. This was not at all the case. The energy comes on smooth and is mixed with a wonderfully euphoric feeling. I never once got jitters nor did I get irritable which is rare for me - ask my girlfriend. The energy lasted much longer than I did in the gym and did not end in a crash but would gradually wear off.

The focus was fantastic while in the gym. It really aided in my slowing down and focusing on my movements which is usually a challenge for me as my mind wanders and my form suffers. The energy still kicking after leaving the gym would make it a little harder for me to stick with one task. Frankly I am not sure why this would shift after leaving the gym but it was certainly harder for me to sit still in my office after afternoon sessions.

Strength
Though I wouldn't necessarily attribute immediate strength increases to a PWO, especially one without creatine, this product did allow me to make some gains over the 5 weeks that I used it despite losing body weight overall.

Endurance
I was able to take this PWO before cardio sessions without feeling like my heart was going to burst which was again surprising based on the profile. I felt as though it did improve my performance which I find rare for PWOs that focus so much on pump. I believe on long hikes that it also helped a bit with endurance as several of the ingredients allow the body to tap into different energy stores more readily, especially fat stores. This stuff sure did make me sweat, though.

With many fully dosed pres getting close to the $2 mark I think this product is a solid value. The fact that most people can and will get away with just scoop means they will get 40 workouts for $50. Even for someone needing a full scoop the price is very reasonable considering the quality of the product. Additionally I seem to always see specials being run on it so paying full MSRP is unlikely.

Side Effects

I do crash on this preworkout but it is not the typical anxious, irritable crash. I instead am just a little out of it, head in the clouds but with a lot of energy that is difficult for me to focus with outside of the gym. I am interestingly very productive when I get back to the office should I work out mid-day and the accuracy of my work is excellent so it really isn't much of a complaint. This PWO does kill my appetite almost entirely for several hours. This I suppose could be a strength and currently is for me but certainly not when trying to bulk.

Conclusion

I would not change a thing about this product. It is my favorite supplement of all time and I have tried many hundreds. The profile is nearly perfect, the energy is the best I have ever experienced from a PWO all the while actually feeling good and without a crash. It markedly improves my ability to train both by improving endurance and focus. To top it all off, no BS flavors or colors or sweeteners and it tastes good! I love this pre.

September 25, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Soreness

Another BCAA product that gets the job done but with a fairly unpleasant aftertaste and mouth feel.

Pretty straightforward profile here.

5g BCAAs using a 2:1:1 ratio. The BCAAs use a patented oligopeptide-enzymatic technology. Really there is not much on the technology in the way of scientific studies pertaining to fitness and is something I was neither attracted to or turned off by. It is purported that by clustering amino acids together there will be faster absorption by muscle tissue.

1g CLA matrix. I do not respond well to CLA in that I have never noticed any effects even when taking 3-6g per day. However, I do know that some people do in fact notice results and if one is on a cutting plan utilizing CLA this is a nice addition.

250mg of agmatine sulfate. There is limited definitive research regarding what agmatine sulfate does in the way of athletic performance. It has shown to increase insulin sensitivity which aids in glucose uptake by muscle cells and may aid in nitric oxide production. At 250mg it will not do much of anything but when combined with a preworkout that already has a decent dose this amount could be beneficial.

Taste

This is where the product really needed to shine and I appreciate BPI taking a stab at producing something that isn't run of the mill. That said, for me personally it was a swing and a miss. The orange soda flavor was too sweet and syrupy initially no matter how much water I would mix it with and then had a bicarbonate aftertaste along with a sort of filmy feel all over my mouth. I imagine the feel was caused by both the bicarbonate and CLA (oils).

Although I wasn't impressed with the flavor I think there is potential here for them to do something much more enjoyable with more tart flavors. The slight fizziness was actually enjoyable and could make for some very refreshing drinks if they avoid the sickeningly sweet flavoring system moving forward.

Mixability

Mixed well with the expected small amount of foam seen with most BCAA products.

Always difficult for me to expand much on the effectiveness of BCAAs. I was never very sore no matter how hard I trained or how many double days I did back to back. I assume that drinking this every time I would lift had some effect on this. Even when training with a calorie deficit my strength did not decrease though my body weight did.

Did I notice that the aminos rushed into my muscle cells more quickly? Nope. So I guess I will just have to trust that the oligopeptide-enzymatic tech is working.

I did experience some cramping at times during my training that I do not experience with things such as Amino1 or Aminogex. I attribute this to the lack of electrolytes or anything else to really aid with hydration other than simply increasing water intake.

I picked up this tub for $7 at Vitamin Shoppe. That's an insane value but obviously not the norm. I see these most places going for around $22 which for 30 servings is an acceptable value. There aren't really any bells and whistles in this product other than the CLA (I consider the agmatine negligible) but if you are cutting and respond well to CLA this product becomes a much better deal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Bottom line is it works, it is a decent value and sports a new technology that could be beneficial in getting nutrients into hungry cells. I enjoyed the fizz and wouldn't mind seeing this used in other applications though this particular flavor wasn't my favorite. If you're tired of flat intras and want to try something interesting this is worth a second look especially if you are someone that supplements CLA.

August 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Great Pumps
  • Research Based
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Uses Artificial Sweeteners
  • Little Too Expensive
  • Slight Crash

Wanted to add my 2 cents to the already extensive list of reviews on what was, and sometimes still is, my favorite pre-workout on the market.

This ingredient profile is nearly perfect. Everything included is dosed exactly as it should be and the ingredients themselves are high quality. So high quality in fact that NutraBio stands by and releases third party test results. Talk about transparency and truth in labeling.

The list is extensive and has been covered extensively so I will not beat a dead horse. The thing I enjoy most about the profile is that NutraBio really went with everything but the kitchen sink. They didn't just add a few grams of L-Citrulline to compliment a weak dose of Nitrosigine, they included a full 6 grams of fermented L-Citrulline to 1 gram of agmatine sulfate and 750mg of Nitrosigine. This is as much of my favorite pump ingredients as I would want and dosed as recommended in almost every study I have come across.

The 3.5g of L-Leucine is a nice touch to aid with anti-catabolic measures and I like the perfect 3.2g of beta alanine which helps endurance a bit should your routine include cardio or higher reps. The 2.5g of Betaine and 2g of Taurine as well as the nootropic blend are all nice touches and have become fairly standard in all higher end pre-workouts.

I also love that they included creatine. I know some may be opposed to the inclusion of creatine in their pre but as I am not a stickler for the timing of my creatine and I do in fact take it, this is appreciated. Not to mention it is nicely dosed with 3g of monohydrate and .5g of Creatine MagnaPower. This means one less powder for me to mix in or a couple fewer pills to pop in a landscape where many pres seem to be dumping the creatine.

Of note is the inclusion of some high quality Calci-K electrolytes. They use artificial flavors and AceK/sucralose for sweeteners but there are no artificial colors with the amounts used listed. They list the amount of flavoring used, too. 725mg of natural and artificial flavors for the Raspberry Lemonade.

I guess I ended up beating a dead horse. I nerd out over this label.

Taste

I have only tried the Raspberry Lemonade flavor as the lemonade/limeade flavors are my favorites. The flavor of this is actually very light but they do get the flavor profile right with hints of tart lemonade. No lingering after taste and no detectible bitterness. It isn't something I would not necessarily sip on this for enjoyment but I by no means have any problem downing it on my way to the gym.

Mixability

It mixes almost perfectly without much of anything settling. There is some foam left on the side of the shaker but I assume that is largely due to the L-Leucine. Refill once, swirl, down the rest.

I set 3 PRs while using my first tub; bench press, weighted dips and dumbbell shoulder press. This was at the same time I transitioned to becoming vegetarian and career stress hit an all-time high, so if anything I should have been holding on to my strength at best. I never once had a bad workout while using this even when I walked in the gym feeling like I was already dragging.

I attribute this mainly to my only having to worry about taking one supplement daily. While doing so, being able to take advantage of the maximum benefits of pretty much every compound in it. I don't know that I have ever so diligently maintained clinical doses of the most proven ingredients when I have had to fill gaps in other supplements or take multiple at once.

The focus and the energy I get from this product are also wonderful. The energy comes on smooth and the focus is there without the increase itself even being noticeable. I was able to focus much more easily on proper form and pay closer attention to which muscles I needed to activate or train harder instead of worrying about what my next workday was going to look like. The energy itself outlasted my muscles and I would often find myself working on other tasks at home or the office after leaving the gym more fervently and with a clearer head.

A clearer head until the crash set in. I do not know why I crashed the way I did off of this pre-workout and I really think it may have been caused by overtraining/two-a-days or my new diet much more so than NutraBio's Pre. Regardless, the irritability was certainly there after a long session in the gym. I had to start a few emails over after a few deep breaths when responding to high maintenance clients after the gym.

At the retail price of $39.99 it amounts to $2 per workout. Consequently, this is one of the more expensive pre-workouts on the market but it is also truly a one scoop, fully dosed, very high quality pre that could conceivably replace a few other supplements such as standalone creatine. As such I wouldn't say the value is outstanding but for such a premium product you do really get what you pay for.

Side Effects

I did crash after taking this product which surprised me. I do not view this pre as an especially stim heavy one and with the 350mg of caffeine anchored by 300mg of Theanine I did not anticipate much edginess after my workouts but there was in fact a decent amount. The edginess was not so much one of anxiety, either. The edginess was more the irritable type which my girlfriend absolutely adored (she hates pre-workouts). This may be mostly attributable to my caloric deficit and exacerbated by the fact this pre did allow me to train harder and longer.

Conclusion

I love this pre-workout. The ingredient list is nearly flawless and effectively replaces anything else I would consider taking other than BCAAs and occasionally a protein powder. The flavor is fine though I wish NutraBio would use natural flavors and sweeteners. The price is fair considering everything you are getting and with the exception of a come down that may not even be the fault of this product my experience with NutraBio's Pre has been phenomenal.

August 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Hydration
  • Good During Workout
  • Low Bcaa Quantities
  • Bad Fruit Punch Flavor

The newest version of Amino1 has not become a staple of mine but whenever I find it on sale I make sure to add it to my arsenal.

A 30-year-old male that does double days more often than not while trying to build my second business as quickly as possible. I am vegetarian so supplementation is fairly essential with the way I train and if I am not getting enough of something my body makes it very clear. Although this is marketed as a post workout I have used it as an intra with notable success.

Lots of aminos indeed. I act...

Lots of aminos indeed. I actually really like the spread on this though I do wish they included more BCAAs and with regard to a few of the ingredients (taurine and glutamine specifically) I am already getting plenty. The profile includes

3g Arginine AKG to aid in nutrient delivery to muscle tissue via NO production.
1g Taurine which helps to maintain proper hydration and electrolyte balance. This is a solid dose especially since just about every decent PWO adds 1 to 2gs these days.
3g of a BCAA blend in a 3:1:2 ratio which is a dosed a little low.
1g of L-Glutamine which aids in muscle tissue repair and is critical to the immune system. 1g is fine considering this should only be holding you over just until your post workout meal which will have plenty.
1g of L-Alanine which has been shown to prevent and used in the glucose energy conversion process.
1g of L-Glycine which has been shown to aid in avoiding inflammation and encourage muscle and joint tissue repair among other functions. 1g is an acceptable dose.
200mg of coconut water to further aid with hydration and electrolyte balance.

I'm not huge on the artificial flavors and AceK especially because it already tastes mediocre at best.

Taste

I do not like fruit punch anything but it seems to be the flavor I always find on sale. As far as fruit punch goes, this one is alright in that it is a more subtle flavor with no bitter after taste.

Mixability

Mixes well with no issues. I usually mix it with about 16oz of water and begin sipping on it halfway through my routines while occasionally filling my bottle back up. This continuously dilutes the flavor and spreads out the dose though consequently it is front end heavy with this method.

Kind of like protein I really look for what I don't experience. I do not ever get muscle cramps with this, soreness is kept to a minimum, I never get that cottonmouth from too much time training and I never bloat like I do occasionally when I go between dehydrated and hydrated states. I would say this product does everything it is designed to do.

Muscle Pharm does include some ingredients to help with protein synthesis and nitric oxide production but I am not able to see any measurable difference in my gains due to this alone. The fact that it seems to help keep my muscles from ever really breaking down to the point where I have to take an extra recovery day is plenty.

I got my tubs for $11 each so at this price the value is off the charts. Most often however I see the average price is around $22 or so. Considering the lower dose of BCAAs and the likelihood that when using this as an intra/post product you may be dosing some aminos that were already covered in your pre-workout I would say the value is average. Although, if you are taking things such as Taurine and Glutamine separately this is an even more beneficial product and a heck of a lot more convenient than worrying about popping capsules or mixing in more powders.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Recovery products like these are always hard for me to get excited about. They could be the most well-designed products in the entire world and then. Nothing happens. But I suppose that's as good as it gets. No soreness, no cramping, no exhaustion and no dehydration. I would not go out of my way to spend money on this product at full retail as most of the potentially beneficial ingredients are already covered for me in other products. I have not noticed any significant improvement in recovery or gains by adding this product to my routine. That said I have been pushing my body harder these past few months than I ever have before while on a diet where it is significantly harder for me to get the levels of protein I was once accustomed to. All the while, I haven't slowed down a bit.

August 5, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS

A decent budget intra workout product that works well with 2 scoops to fend off catabolism and DOMS. The flavor however does not work so well and I am not a fan of the artificial ingredients including color.

A now 30-year-old male that once upon a time was in school for nutrition science and still keeps up with medical/scholarly journals. I worked at GNC throughout college so I was able to test a nice spread of products. I have been lifting for the better part of a decade however only recently (past few years) have I started utilizing BCAAs and other amino based intras regularly. With mixed results I have continued using them with the mentality that they cannot hurt.

Ingredient Profile 7/10

Pretty standard stuff here. Downside being you need 2 scoops to get the proper amount of BCAAs.

4gs of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in a 2:1:1 ratio to aid protein synthesis and reduce catabolism. I do not feel that 4 grams is enough to make a significant difference so this supplement requires 2 scoops.

1g of Glutamine which helps with muscle tissue repair and sparing. An hour of exercise can reduce glutamine in the body by up to 40% so supplementing this non-essential amino can be very beneficial of the course of an exercise routine. Glutamine also boosts the immune system which further aids recovery and overall health. Per 2 scoops, the 2 grams is enough to reap the benefits.

1g of Taurine to help reduce muscle fatigue and damage as well as aiding hydration and efficient metabolic regulation. Again, per 2 scoops the 2 grams is plenty.

100mg of coconut water which helps with hydration and electrolyte balance. 200mg per my 2 scoops is adequate.

I would love to see zero artificial anything. The exclusion of aspartame is welcomed but it still has AceK. I will constantly harp on the fact that artificial color is supremely stupid, whether it be sourced from bugs or harvest waste or industrial byproducts I do not care. There is no reason to add something to color my water and stain anything it touches while potentially providing negative health implications. I hate artificial colors. Zero benefit, only downsides.

Taste 5/10

I have only had the fruit punch flavor and it tastes like cough syrup. There is no real lingering taste but I would say this flavor is only tolerable. Fruit punch is my least favorite flavor across the board so I may be unfairly critical of this.

Mixability 8/10

This product mixes well enough. I would place 2 scoops in an empty water bottle, fill it with about 20oz of water and shake it only a few times while walking into the gym. There would be some settling over the course of my lifting sessions but one quick shake would suspend almost all of the powder in water.

Effectiveness 8/10

Intras really work best when absolutely nothing is noticed. No soreness, no cramping, no cotton mouth and no other issues. I have been doing double days 6 days a week, stepping my macros up considerably and using this Six Star Amino Max while training and have noticed no additional soreness. That is the highest praise I can give an intra. That said, I haven't noticed any significantly reduced soreness vs other intras and I have never had muscle cramping so I am not certain if this product is helpful in preventing that. At most it has helped a problem that wasn't there.

Against no supplementation whatsoever this product does in fact help my recovery times. I have not once felt the type of soreness that limits my activity the next day while taking this. Even after leg days I am able to function (relatively) normally.

Value 7/10

There is a RiteAid near my girlfriend's house that I make a habit of stopping by because their clearance rack is incredible. The only reason I tried this product is because it along with a few other supplements from GNC, EAS, etc were 75% off the RiteAid/GNC price. I paid $5 for the container and therefor 33 cents a per 2 scoop serving. If you have aminos in your pre which is becoming common these days 1 scoop would be enough and it would have been half that.

At the normal price of $20 per tub I would say this product is slightly above average. 1.5 scoops would probably be the sweet spot so you are coming in at about a $1 a scoop and are getting some extras beyond the basic BCAAs.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 7/10

This product does what it should at 2 scoops. The flavor isn't my favorite but it mixes well and I am able to sip on it throughout my workouts without gagging. Also helps knowing while I stay hydrated (I am better about drinking water while exercising when it has some flavor and added benefits) I am going to have a much easier time functioning the next day. Without crazy soreness I am able to get back into the gym to keep chasing those PRs much more consistently.

August 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Life Saver
  • A Bargain
  • Replaces Several Products
  • One Scooper
  • Artificial Ingredients

A great product for clearing counter space and useful for more than just gains in the gym despite mixing poorly and having some unnecessary ingredients.

Hello again SR community. It has been a while since I participated with reviews or the forums because well, life. So, for my first review coming back I have picked a product that I have a complicated relationship with from a company I have mixed feelings about. Nice and straight forward, right? Additionally I will be reviewing this product with a different perspective than most because I actually use this product to correct my severe low blood sugars as a type 1 diabetic when not using it for training purposes. Without further ado...

Ingredient Profile 9/10

This product is interesting to me in that it effectively replaces a few products I take individually and in a not so Muscletech tradition, one scoop will do you for most ingredients. I also appreciate the clear breakdown of most of the support compounds.

The 3.5g of creatine monohydrate and 1.5g of creating HCl per scoop is a sufficient amount of creatine.

1g of Taurine is a nice touch as well as the 1g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. Is the 1g of BCAA going to replace your need for a post workout meal? Of course not but it is a nice addition to support protein synthesis especially in an environment where insulin is already skyrocketing and catabolism should be effectively shut down.

The addition of 100mg of R-ALA is what surprised me the most. I am a big believer in ALA and its potent antioxidant capacity. R-ALA is the bioactive form but has relatively poor bioavailability relative to Na-R-ALA but nonetheless I love the inclusion of one of my favorite antioxidants and at a reasonable dose no less. Again, this didn't used to be customary for MuscleTech so I am pleased to see the apparent change in philosophy.

Lots of sugar, yes. 15g to be exact per scoop. This is by design and the reason I keep using this product! The blend includes glucose polymers, dextrose and ModCarb.

I don't like the artificial flavors, sweeteners and I especially don't like the coloring. Who the hell cares what color the powder turns into?

Taste 8/10

The fruit punch flavor is fine for me. I never really care much about the flavor of things and this reminds me of what Capri Sun tasted like at one point. Possibly even sweeter. I do not mind the flavor at all though I do not ever crave it. Also the amount of liquid you mix in with this affects the flavor quite substantially.

Mixability 5/10

This does not mix well. It makes some goopy clumps that I end up just chewing because again the flavor doesn't bug me and it doesn't have a harsh taste when eating some of the powder.

Effectiveness 10/10

With the inclusion of glucose polymers (sugar), dextrose (sugar) and ModCarb it has got to be one of the quickest absorbing sources of glucose (sugar, and what all carbs are eventually broken down into) I have ever used. I know this because when I become hypoglycemic due to my type 1 diabetes I need glucose and I need it fast. No other product has worked better for me and this includes products created specifically for the treatment of low blood sugar.

This product has literally saved my life once when I was unable to get to an emergency treatment.

For those without needing to use this as a blood sugar correcting tool, the spike in blood sugar will trigger your body to pump out plenty of insulin. The insulin release will trigger an anabolic environment, cater to muscle repair and help shuttle nutrients into tissues throughout the body. It will also rapidly restore muscle glycogen. In this case, the sugars are a good thing.

As far as gains in the gym go, it is hard for me to say how effective this product is as I am always making sure I get a decent dose of creatine one way or another and I am anal about my diet and nutrient timing. I will say that taking this in place of 3 other products (creatine, an intra-workout and standalone ALA) I have noticed no decline in performance or progress. Because of this, I think this is a supremely effective product.

Value 9/10

I see it online for about $32 for the 6lb tub. That is only 60 cents a serving and with it effectively replacing 3 products for me (not including glucose tablets for low blood sugars) this is a bargain.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 9/10

Cell is one of the very few products I always keep on hand. With its ability to spike blood glucose levels while shuttling in BCAAs and potent antioxidants as well as an effective dose of creatine I think it is a wonderful product for most that appreciate an all-in-one drink it and forget it approach. It isn't perfect as it has some artificial ingredients I really don't appreciate and the flavor is lackluster but for me personally, it has been a life saver.

November 9, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Strength
  • Bowel Issues
AnoTest is the first product I have tried from the new MuscleTech Performance Series. I have long avoided MuscleTech products due to their price, their labeling and the reviews but after the revamp I was anxious to give their line a shot. So far, I am quite pleased.

Profile - 9/10

Total Carbohydrate 1g <1%*
Sugar 0g "
Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 2mg 100%
Folic Acid 200mcg 50%
Vitamin B12 1mcg 17%
Zinc (As Zinc Gluconate) 7.5mg 50%
Testosterone-Boosting Complex
D-Aspartic Acid 1,560mg "
L-Carnitine Tartrate 1,466mg "
Supplying L-Carnitine 1,000mg "
...

Folic Acid 200mcg 50%
Vitamin B12 1mcg 17%
Zinc (As Zinc Gluconate) 7.5mg 50%
Testosterone-Boosting Complex
D-Aspartic Acid 1,560mg "
L-Carnitine Tartrate 1,466mg "
Supplying L-Carnitine 1,000mg "
Boron Citrate 100mg "
Supplying Boron 100mg "
Cortisol-Lowering And Recovery Complex
L-Glutamine 1,000mg "
L-Leucine 900mg "
L-Valine 375mg "
L-Isoleucine 375mg "

The profile on this product is very clean and the dose of every single ingredient clearly shown. In fact the compounds are even broken down showing how much of a certain ingredient or element they provide. This is a complete about face for MuscleTech and a huge step in the right direction. AnoTest is primarily a DAA supplement but there are additions of other ingredients that amplify the test boosting potential as well as a nice BCAA and glutamine blend.

The DAA is fully dosed (with two scoops) and is the backbone of this product. Tried and true, I wont beat a dead horse.

The L-Carnitine L-Tartate is a popular ingredient in a wide range of athletic supplements but its main purpose here is a relatively novel one. LCLT has shown in many studies to reduce muscle tissue damage in acute bouts of resistance training. With less muscle tissue damage there are more hormonal receptor cites available thus increasing an athlete's anabolic potential. The amount in AnoTest is at or above what most studies used.

The Boron Citrate is an interesting addition but not a new idea. Boron supplements used to be big in the 90s but died out before too long. It may be making a comeback though, as some new research is finding that boron dosed daily can increase free testosterone, reduce SHBG and reduce estradiol (a type of estrogen). Hence the estradiol lowering claim on the label. The dose used in the study was 11.6mg of boron so with two scoops you come close with 10mg.

Taste and Mixability - 8/10

I am not a huge fan of fruit punch flavors but this one was pretty good. It hid the flavor of the DAA well and the after taste was rather sweet instead of the usual sour.

It mixed well with the exception of some white particulates that were most likely the LCLT as I have the same problem with my bulk powder LCLT. The coloring also lingers in any shaker bottle - not a big issue but I am sure this stuff can stain.

Effectiveness - 8/10

As a 24 year old I am already producing plenty of testosterone. That being said, I believe AnoTest boosted it even higher though as I had not gotten blood tests it will be a purely anecdotal assessment. I began taking two scoops every morning on an empty stomach the same week I began my bulk and after my second week on cycle I noticed a difference in intensity, recovery and progression. Part of this was no doubt due to the fact I was off a cut and taking in twice as many calories but my alpha male mentality was in full swing and I was in the mind set where I wanted to kill weights. I was adding weight to my routines about 50% faster than I had on my previous bulk and my recovery was still relatively quick.

The only drawback was one I get from any and all DAA products. About thirty minutes to an hour after drinking this, I would be running to the bathroom.

Value - 5/10

This is where this product falters. I received this for free but online you can pick it up for $40-50 which means you are going to be paying at the very least $2 per serving at two scoops a serving. It's a great product but when you can pick up bulk DAA powder for such a better price it makes you wonder if the boron, LCLT, amino acids and some flavoring are worth it.

Overall - 8/10

I really liked this product and I imagine men older than myself would get even more out of it. The convenience, clean profile, good taste and obvious thought (ie well rounded) put into this product would put it on top if the price weren't dragging it down.

October 17, 2012

• Increase Strength
  • 30 Real Servings
This review will be covering the new Pump Fuel V.2, one of my favorite PWOs around. I have tried most on the market so I have plenty to compare it to and very few others come close. It isn't mentioned much but I think this product should be on everyone's radar whether you need the stimmed out Insanity or need a late night/off cycle caffeine free version.

Profile - 10/10

It's a huge ingredient list so I will only cover the highlights. It has 2 grams of Kre-Alkalyn and 1 gram of MagnaPower creatines, both very high quality and bloat free. It includes a little over 2 grams of a few different types of arginine and coupled with the beet extract and citrulline/norvaline combo the pump complex is great. The inclusion of a carb matrix featuring waxy maize and maltodextrin helps spike insulin and drive all the nutrients into muscle tissue. There is also plenty of L-Carnitine in each serving which is a huge plus for me as I am usually adding LCLT to everything.
I do think they could have bumped the beta-alanine up over 3 grams which most studies suggest but I feel the tingles nonetheless.
It's important to note that with this second generation of Pump Fuels there are now three different energy levels; caffeine free, the regular and Insanity. Insanity adds the energy blend of PMDs ACG3 (extra caffeine, synephrine and amla fruit) to the Pump Fuel.

Taste and Mixability - 9/10

I love all the flavors but my favorite is Cherry Limeade. It's not to sweet and is almost good enough to drink for the sake of enjoyment. The carbohydrate mix gives it an almost creamy consistency and consequently can sometimes clump a little bit.

Effectiveness - 10/10

Strength/Endurance - I am always impressed with this PWO for its ability to let me push up that one extra rep I didn't think I could do or add ten more minutes to my run. It's a subtle effect much like having a reserve tank. The power doesn't come on brutal and fast as it does with some of my other favorite PWOs (VPX Friction) but it is longer lasting. I can stay in the gym longer after taking Pump Fuel than in any other circumstance. The pumps on this product are incredible as well, often times almost becoming painful on arm day.

Energy/Focus - With the regular stimulant base the energy is clean and long lasting. It's a sort of background energy where you are feeling good and can keep going but you don't feel high. The focus is also great thanks in part I am sure to the vinpocetine and phosphatidyl serine.

Value - 7/10

This is the most expensive (retail) pre-workout I have ever used. Most of the time because these are really only sold through franchised GNCs you can work the price down. A lot. I only pay $28 for these and I know most people can easily get them for $50. So at $50 for 30 servings this is still pretty pricey but each scoop is very well dosed. So well dosed with a few ingredients in particular (carnitine, creatine and N.O. complex) that further supplementation of those can be unnecessary, saving you some money.

Overall - 9/10

The profile on this product is the best I have seen in the segment. The few complaints I have are the 2.5g of beta alanine and less than perfect mixability but this is an otherwise perfect PWO. The only thing really weighing it down is the price. Work around that and this is a 10.

October 16, 2012

• Good Price
  • Good Recovery
  • Low Sodium
  • No Fillers
    Protein isn't the most exciting thing to write about. It doesn't get you feeling high, double your endurance threshold or make your free test skyrocket. The difference is that protein is a staple for most of us and the right protein can increase recovery time and even taste good. On the other hand, the wrong protein can have you shacked up in the bathroom or fumigating whichever room you're in. This review will look at Ultimate Nutrition's Prostar 100% Whey and aid you in deciding whether it will help you continue killing the weights or have you punishing your toilet.

...

Profile - 10/10

The first ingredient is the protein blend comprised of; whey isolate, followed by concentrate and peptides. After the blend comes cocoa, the flavorings, salt, sucralose, Ace-K and soy lecithin - a very clean ingredient list.

The macronutrient profile is clean as well. There is only 1 gram of fat of which 0.5 grams is saturated. The cholesterol and sodium are both low at 20 and 30mg respectively. There are only 2 grams of carbohydrates and just 1 gram of sugar. With 25 grams of protein in each scoop the total calories round out at a lean 120.

My favorite aspect of this protein is the blend itself. Whey isolate is all the rage and rightfully so. It is very low calorie, has an excellent amino acid profile, so on and so forth but there are some drawbacks. Because of the extensive filtration, WPI tends to be lower in some vital protein fractions such as lactoferrin and health-promoting immunoglobulins than WPC. By adding WPC to the mostly WPI blend in addition to using low temperature processing, Ultimate Nutrition has created an extremely bioactive protein.

The amino acid profile is also very impressive. There are 6 grams of BCAAs in each of the 80 scoops. My favorite aspect of the amino acid profile however, is the 920mg of L-Cystine. L-Cystine is the limiting component in the production of Glutathione - an extremely powerful antioxidant critical in protein synthesis and even regulating nitric oxide levels. For reference, in heavily denatured proteins (most) L-Cystine can be in the low 400 or even high 300mg range, greatly reducing the overall health benefit the protein offers.

Taste and Mixability - 9/10

I am only able to comment on one flavor and that is the Chocolate Mint. The flavor is relatively mild and while not being overly sweet it tastes like a dessert. The smooth mint aftertaste is perfect and there is no bitterness whatsoever. There are a few very small clumps left behind but they are hardly noticeable and not powdery. The overall consistency is very light and pleasant.

Effectiveness - 10/10

It's hard to really determine the 'effectiveness' of a protein. What is easy to determine though, is how it is tolerated. This Prostar protein has not given me any bloating, stomach upset or heartburn and like most WPIs it doesn't seem to sit in my stomach long.

Without the addition of any other supplements and without any change to diet and exercise I have noticed a slight decrease in recovery time. Again, protein is just one of those things that when working correctly falls into the background. As I have had absolutely no problems with it, this protein receives a ten.

Value - 10/10

I was shipped ~16 pounds (3 large tubs) for $111. Keep in mind that each tub has 80 servings and each scoop is 25 grams of protein. When you consider the cost per gram of protein, it is one of the cheapest. Comparing this to some of the more "bioactive" proteins, the price looks even better.

Overall - 10/10

I am well aware there were very high marks in this review and I assure you I don't throw tens around easily - this protein is just that good. The cost, flavor and minimal ingredient list make this protein very good. The protein quality, amino acid profile and protein fractions at this price make it phenomenal.

If your only concern is hitting your macros there may be a more cost effective protein out there. If you are like me however, the additional all around health boosting properties this protein offers make it the one to beat.