Cray

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 8 years, and was last online today

Reviews by Cray

2.5
Thanks to ProSupps for sending it out!
  April 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Extreme Negative Side Effects

After a really positive experience with Gold Dust, my first really high-stim preworkout in a while, and knowing that the original Hyde product is well regarded and highly reviewed, I was excited to grab a tub of the new Hyde Nitrox. Unfortunately, as you'll read, I had an extremely negative response to this product. Also, I'm not really sure how to rate this product I did my best. I don't honestly think it's a "bad product" as the 4 rating would suggest.

I do want to put it out there that I am not a preworkout novice by any stretch. I've reviewed over 40 preworkouts on SR and probably tried close to 75 different products. I'm adept at dialing in products, scaling the dose, and adjusting as needed to get the best results. I'm not stim-sensitive at all. Of course, no product works for everybody. People regularly react in significantly different fashions to various supplements, especially preworkouts. Please keep that in mind when reading this review.

Hyde is a stimulant powerhouse containing a 420mg blend of various types of caffeine as well as 25mg of Theacrine, a caffeine-like stimulant, and 3mg of Yohimbe. There's a lot going on in Hyde is this area, and the effectiveness of the doses of these various stimulants is really dependent on the user, their mass, and their tolerance levels. Also included here is Theanine (not Theacrine), which helps to smooth out the effects of stimulants like caffeine.

Interestingly, Theacrine has a biphasic dose response, meaning it actually acts as a sedative at lower doses (under 50mg). I was surprised to learn this fact for reasons later explained.

Given my response, I'm not going to delve deeply into the other ingredients of this product.

I requested and received the Peachy Oh flavor. There were so many to choose from I'm not really sure why I went with Peachy Oh. Maybe just because it was very different? Regardless, the flavoring is on point and tastes exactly like those round peach-flavored gummies you'd buy from a candy store. For me though, the taste was too sweet for my liking. If you're really into candy, you'll love this flavor.

No issues at all with clumping or foaming. One scoop dissolves quickly and easily in 12 oz. ice water.

Unfortunately I tried only four doses of Hyde, each with a slightly different protocol. I tried a full scoop on both an empty stomach and with food, as well as a half scoop on an empty stomach and with food.

My first scoop of Hyde Nitrox was the most unpleasant preworkout experience I've had since I overdid it with a dose of Dark Rage about six years ago. Knowing the stimulant profile, I still felt comfortable I'd be able to manage one level scoop on an empty stomach. I was very much mistaken. Within fifteen minutes of dosing I was extremely uncomfortable and experiencing several negative side effects including cold sweats, disparate body temperatures, heart palpitations, jitters, and an inability to focus. I tried to work out but quickly came to the conclusion I was not able to do so. I tried some light cardio, found my heart rate was running over 150 bpm, and decided it was best to stop.

These effects persisted in some fashion for over eight hours. I felt ill and shaky most of the day. My hands and arms were freezing cold the entire morning, while my legs were actually sweating and overly warm. But the worst was that jittery, shaky feeling which didn't leave me until late in the evening.

OK. So I quickly decided that I'd underestimated the profile of Hyde. No problem. I'll adjust the dose and I'll make sure I've got some food in my stomach. That will help, right? Unfortunately no. While never as bad as the first day, the subsequent three servings of Hyde all hit me with some level of the aforementioned negative side effects, and thus I made the call to discontinue the product after only four servings.

After discussing with my fellow Troopers on how best to proceed with this review, I went back into my other reviews of preworkouts to try and uncover why I was reacting so poorly to Hyde. I wasn't able to nail down a single culprit. I've had good experiences with other products with all of these stimulants. Yohimbe does tend to hit me strongly and has given me jitters before, but I've supplemented it directly at over 3mg daily and not had these sort of strong side effects. Perhaps it was the Theacrine to blame? But it should have a calming effect given its dose in Hyde, as previously stated. And again, I've had products with Theacrine or TeaCrine before and not reacted like this.

End of the day, could have just been the robust caffeine profile was too much for me. I go back to Gold Dust though. Gold Dust packs 350mg of caffeine plus an additional 200mg of another DMAA-like stimulant, and I loved that product. Ultimately I'm frustrated on this front.

The industry average for preworkouts, from my research, is right around $1.00 per serving. If you want to go for a product that touts high quality, clinically dosed ingredients (Outlift for example) you can expect to pay closer to $1.75 per scoop.

Hyde is cheap. A 30 scoop tub can be bought off Amazon for $23.50 which equates to only .78c per scoop. Very competitive. And although I didn't go into the profile much - what you're getting for .78c a serving is impressive. Please note I rated VALUE as if I hadn't had a poor response, and instead was basing it on what you get per serving and the per serving cost.

Side Effects

See Effectiveness.

Conclusion

I was disappointed in my experience with Hyde as I was so looking forward to trying it after reading positive reviews of its predecessor. I really wish I could identify why it was I reacted so negatively to Hyde, both so that I could better warn others and also so that I know to avoid products with the same ingredient.

All that said however, please go back to my introduction. I can't recommend this product nor would I purchase it given my experience, but it's possible, even probable, that my response is an outlier and not the norm. MHSeaver670 gave this product extremely high marks and he's one of the site's top reviewers. As with anything else, do your research and know your body and your level of tolerance before determining whether or not you want to give Hyde a shot.

Thanks to Flex Nutrition for sending it out!
      April 25, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Dose Core Vitamins
    • Fully Disclosed Profile

I'm a believer in consistently taking a daily multivitamin in order to ensure I'm meeting core nutritional needs. I usually stick to a basic, one-pill multi with a relatively simple ingredient profile (ON's Opti-Men is my go-to). Considering I'd just wrapped up a run of Animal Pak, I figured rotating back to a product like RX MULTI would be appropriate, thus I grabbed this when it popped up for the Troopers.

I view multi-vitamins the same way I view protein - as a mandatory dietary staple; not a product I expect will take me to the next level. Thus it makes this particular category rather difficult to review.

The core profile of RX is extremely similar to Opti-Men and is, for the most part, really competitively dosed. RX has a stronger dose of vitamins A, all the various Bs, C, D, E, and Folic Acid compared to Opti-Men, a fact which really impressed me considering Opti-Men is one of the stronger dosed multis I've found.

On the flip side, RX comes in light in most dosages of other, less essential, vitamins and minerals. Several ingredients are dosed so low they're essentially non-existent; this includes Magnesium, Selenium, Chromium, and Potassium. While a few of the other ingredients are on point e.g. Choline and PABA, most come in lighter than Opti-Men. Also lacking are any sort of "bonus" complexes such as an enzyme blend, amino acids, or additional organ support.

Of course, pills simply are not a good delivery method of vitamins. They don't trigger digestion and thus aren't absorbed as efficiently (which is why it's always recommended to take vitamins with meals). To compensate for this most multivitamins contain a greater than required amount of core ingredients (it's why you see like 800% daily value of an ingredient included in a single dose - you don't actually absorb all 800%). Additionally, the recommended daily value doesn't account for factors such as body mass and metabolism.

Personally I prefer a vitamin profile that includes higher doses of vital, water-soluble vitamins, which is exactly what RX delivers.

No issues at all. Four easy to swallow caps with no powder burps or overly strong odor/taste. I usually took my four caps with dinner. The instructions do list out a lighter dosing protocol depending on your weight.

As stated, it's difficult to gauge a vitamin's effectiveness. Did I notice a SIGNIFICANT difference taking RX compared to Opti-Men or another multi? Not really. I can't point to any specifics changes in my health or fitness progress as being directly attributable to this product but is that ever the case for a multi?

I will say that I did not get sick during my time on RX, which was a plus considering the sharp weather shifts we've experienced here in New England recently (seriously, friggin 30 degrees in mid-April). All in all RX provided what I've come to expect from a solid multi - a general sense of health and well-being as well as an insurance policy in meeting core nutritional needs.

The industry norm for a men's multi is roughly .50c per dose, with the more aggressive "packs" running closer to $1.00 per day. I could only find Flex Nutrition's MULTI RX on their own website for $30 for a 100 pill bottle. That's a STEEP $1.20 per serving/day cost if you're running four pills a day. If you're under 170 lbs. and drop the dose down to the recommended 2-3 pills daily, that does bring the price point down to a much more affordable .60c-.90c per dose.

Even so, you can grab a big bottle of Opti-Men, 80 servings, for $37 - that's .46c per day. You could then double up each dose to get a massive vitamin load and still spend less per day than it would cost you to run the standard four pill dose of MULTI RX, not to mention you'd be getting a double-dose of all the extra complexes included in Opti-Men. Hard to rationalize in favor of RX in this example.

Flex does tout RX as having "rapid release technology", a concentrated formula, and certified chelated minerals; claims it does not make on its other, less expensive multi-vitamin product. As I wrote in the Effectiveness section though, RX performed on par with other multi-vitamins for me, thus I can't make a case that some of these features are worth the additional expense.

Really price is RX's major shortfall. It's simply too expensive. Yes, the ingredients appear to be quality and the profile is well dosed, but it's essentially double the price of other simple multivitamins and lacks the robust profile of competitor products in this price range.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a solid multi that I would absolutely purchase were it not for the high price point. While it's not as flashy as other products, I really don't care about all the additives and bonus complexes. Give me a big dose of core vitamins and I'm happy - and this is exactly what RX delivers.

But, as a man over 170 lbs., I just can't rationalize paying more than double for a 30 day supply of MULTI RX compared to Opti-Men considering the profiles are very similar. I'd recommend it as a good product, but there are several less expensive options on the market.

I will add I am unsure if Flex Nutrition is a newer company and perhaps this is why their products aren't yet available on major supplement retailers. We all know a company's own site is usually the most expensive place to purchase a product. If this were to be available on a major website at a cheaper price point AND I could stack it up with a coupon code, I'd 100% recommend it.

Thanks to Beast Sports Nutrition for sending it out!
      April 18, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Recovery
    • Hydration Support
    • Effective BCAA Dose
    • Affordable

Beast has been kind to me lately. They've sent me three of their products to review - the first of which being their standard BCAA 2:1:1 product. As I've written in other reviews, I'm a fan of consistently supplementing BCAAs for overall health and recovery. I try to ensure I'm ingesting 5-10g of BCAAs every morning during my fasted window, regardless of whether I work out or not.

All I really care about in my intra-workouts/BCAA supplements is the actual dosing of BCAAs. 5g of essential BCAAs per serving has been clinically proven to be the minimum effective dose for an average-sized human. Beast's BCAA hits that nail right on the head with exactly 5g at the 2:1:1 ration (as is specified in the name of the product).

Also included are some goodies including B6, B12, and sodium, as well as small doses of Glycine (cognition improvement and fatigue fighter), Taurine, and L-Alanine. While I appreciate the inclusion of these essential amino acids, the doses not high enough to be considered effective, at least not on their own. Stacked on top of a preworkout or other product though and they could be providing some additional benefits.

One other ingredient of note here is Tart Cherry Extract, which is touted for its antioxidant and recovery properties. Again, the dose is low - you get 240mg per scoop against a standard dosing of 1000mg daily - but still, I like the inclusion of this supplement. Another nice addition.

I requested and received the Tropical Breeze flavor. Tasted like a kid's tropical fruit punch. Seemed heavy on the pineapple flavoring, but wasn't overly sweet or overpowering. Decent, but not the best tasting BCAA I've had recently.

I dosed one scoop every morning in 32oz of water and either sipped through my workout or drank down within my first hour at work.

Mixability was decent; basically what I expect from a solid BCAA. Some foaming and clumping around the lid of my shaker bottle as well as a bit of residue at the bottom of my bottle. Nothing extreme though and not a knock on the product in any way given that BCAAs are hydrophobic by nature. It really shouldn't dissolve super easily.

I personally can't tell the difference between most BCAA products. I do notice a difference in my recovery time and the amount of DOMS I experience when I'm taking a BCAA versus when I'm not, but not usually between individual supplements. BCAA 2:1:1 was right on par with most other intraworkout products I've reviewed recently. I can't say I noticed any spike in recovery due to the inclusion of the aforementioned goodies e.g. Tart Cherry Powder or Glycine, but overall my recovery was solid and I wasn't having to deal with any hardcore DOMS.

Coming off an intraworkout that completely lacked electrolyte support made me appreciate the inclusion of sodium here. Though not as effective as other supplements I've tried that are loaded with potassium, magnesium, and chloride, I did still notice a small boost to stamina while running Beast 2:1:1 vs. not having any re-hydration supplementation. Personally, I'd like to see Beast go this route with this product - drop the small dosages of Taurine and L-Alanine and give me more hydration support and mid-workout recovery. That's just my personal preference however.

Most solid BCAA supplements will cost you around .80c per serving. Some of the flashier products with broader ingredient profiles will run you closer to $1.00 per scoop. You can grab a 30 scoop tub of Beast BCAA 2:1:1 for $22 or .73c per scoop. A very competitive price point. No, you may not be getting the flashier profile or larger BCAA dose of a product like Nutrex's AminoCharger or NutraBio's IntraBlast, but this is still a really good, affordable BCAA option.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Beast has a solid BCAA product on their hands here. Effectively dosed at a competitive price, with a few extras in the profile that may provide additional benefits depending on what else is in your stack. If you're looking for an affordable BCAA supplement, this one is absolutely worth considering.

Thanks to Prime Nutrition for sending it out!
        April 17, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Helps Shed Excess Water Weight
      • More Defined Look

I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to diuretics and water-cutting products. My opinion is, unless you're trying to make weight for a sporting event or are competing in an actual bodybuilding show, there really isn't much of a reason to take this type of supplement given its short-term effects. Still, since I've been in a weight-loss competition with my buddy since January and with our weigh-in date happening in late March, I figured I'd grab a tub of Waterloss for an extra competitive edge.

Waterloss is comprised of a prop blend of thre...

Waterloss is comprised of a prop blend of three ingredients for a total of 1.15g per scoop.

Horsetail extract - a plant stem extract (not actual horse hair FYI) that is known as a common diuretic and used for a variety of purposes. Not enough research exists regarding effective dosage, however I did find one article stating a common starting dose was 300mg, three times daily.

Phyllanthus amarus extract - a leaf extract similar to Horsetail extract in that it is a known diuretic with a host of other positive properties e.g. anti-diabetic, anti-flammatory, anti-microbial, etc. Again, effective dosing information is difficult to uncover, but an average dose is suggested to be around 500mg once daily.

Sophora japonica - a flower commonly used in Chinese medicine which exhibits strong antioxidant properties and supports circulatory system health. And hey, wouldn't you know, I could barely find anything regarding effective dosages. The best I could locate was a scholarly article from 1998 claiming a traditional decoction was dosed at 300-600mg daily.

Given the lack of research and the fact the product is a prop blend, it's impossible to determine if any/all of the ingredients are appropriately dosed. But using what I found as a baseline, I suspect Waterloss is nearly on point here.

Waterloss comes in one flavor - pineapple. Prime Nutrition did an outstanding job with the taste. They really nailed the flavoring. It's just the right balance tart and sweet and not at all overbearing, at least not when mixed in 32oz. of water. And there were no issues at all with mixability.

The directions on the tub are to consume one serving in the AM with a possible additional serving in the PM until the desired effect is achieved. I didn't really have a "desired effect" in terms of physique, and I was also nervous about prolonged use of a supplement with which I have minimal experience. Thus, most days, I stuck to one scoop in the morning and added a second evening dose on occasion (maybe two times a week).

In terms of immediate effects, I can't say I noticed any differences when taking Waterloss. Now, I drink a LOT of water/fluids every day (usually a gallon between 7am and 1pm) so frequent urination is common for me. I don't believe I went more frequently while running this product, nor did I experience any sort of immediate psychological effects (see Wade419's review). For me, this was just a nice pineapple flavoring that I added to one of my morning water bottles.

I also don't have the type of physique where I think this type of product really shines. I'm lean and decently built, but I'm also a dad and work a desk job. I'm carrying around a few extra pounds and am probably around 15-17% body fat. On par with active adults, but certainly not on the same level as elite athletes.

I did notice, after about four days of use, that my arms and chest looked and felt drier and tighter. Slightly more defined and vascular. Nothing dramatic, but honestly it was about what I was expecting.

As for weight loss, I'm estimating Waterloss helped me cut around 1.5 lbs of water weight. My competition ran for 10 weeks from mid-January to late March with a goal net loss of 20 lbs each. My opening weigh-in was 219 lbs. and my end weight-in was 203 lbs. for a loss of 16 lbs. Didn't quite get my goal but I did win our bet. I've mostly continued with a stricter diet and exercise routine since the end of the competition (have relaxed it slightly) and I've found since I've stopped taking Waterloss that my normal morning weigh-ins are coming in consistently at 205 lbs, hence my conclusion. Perhaps I would have seen more pronounced results had I been more strict with taking two doses in a day, but considering I had no negative side effects or issues with dehydration, I was satisfied with these results.

The cheapest I found Waterloss was $29 on Amazon for 90 scoops. That's a meager .32c per scoop or potentially .64c per day if you're steadily taking two scoops daily. Diuretics aren't a particularly expensive category of supplement. Most of the pills and powders I browsed through ran around .50c per day cost depending on the complexity of the profile. Personally I find Waterloss to be competitively priced.

Side Effects

No issues at all.

Conclusion

If you're a competitive athlete or prepping for a physique show then Waterloss should definitely be on your list of diuretics to consider. It's well priced, gentle on the stomach and GI track, tastes good, and is comprised of well-known ingredients with diuretic properties. Personally, I'm not adding any water-shedding product to my everyday stack as it just doesn't make sense to me. But hey, if you're trying to prep for a beach trip or a summer vacation and need a fast way to trim up your physique, give Waterloss a look.

(SR paid for product; USPlabs did not participate)
          April 9, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Cortisol Control
        • Weight Loss Support
        • Possibly Under-dosed
        • No Impact On Libido
        • Potentially Ineffective

Whatever happened to USPlabs? If you go back ten years, they were one of THE most prominent supplement companies. Let's be real, if you were lifting in 2010, you were taking Jack3d. EVERYONE was taking Jack3d. Plus the company was cranking out stuff like PowerFULL, Modern BCAA, Yok3d, Oxy Elite Pro, and so on. Big products that lots of people were excited about. Now I feel like I never hear about USPlabs. Sad face. Could just be me though.

Sorry. I was getting nostalgic. Anyway, I'd not run a natty test booster in a while. At age 34 my natural test production has never been an issue; my most recent testing continues to show I'm slightly above average in t-production. Even so, I remember how much I enjoyed my experience with Pink Magic, USPlabs original t-booster from years ago, and thus figured I'd give Ultimate-T a try. Thanks specifically to SR.com for this opportunity - this product was not supplied to me by USPlabs.

Ultimate-T is comprised of a proprietary blend of four root extracts. I don't normally go into this level of detail in my reviews, but in my opinion the profile of a test booster needs to be scrutinized as this is a class of supplement that I personally find can easily mislead consumers.

Symplocos Bark - common phosphodiesterase inhibitor. Phosphodiesterase is the enzyme responsible for breaking down cyclic-AMP, which has beneficial effects like improved fat loss, increased muscle mass, and improved thyroid function. Not enough research exists to establish a daily recommended dosage.
        Withania Somnifera - AKA Ashwagandha/KSM66. Touted for relieving insomnia and stress-induced depression and can significantly reduce cortisol concentrations and the immunosuppressive effect of stress. Several positive human trials on record. Recommendation is up to 6g daily but results can be had at 300-500mg daily.
        Spilanthes Flower - more commonly known for aphrodisiac and pain relief properties. One study (on rats) found this extract to positively increase testosterone. Recommended dose for 200lb. man is 2.2g daily.
        Eurycome Longifolia - AKA Longjack. VERY common natural test boosting ingredient. Reliable aphrodisiac effects. Appears to have remarkable anti-estrogenic effects but no human studies exist. On the testosterone side of things, the literature appears to be needlessly promising. No peer-reviewed evidence currently establishes Eurycoma as a testosterone booster in otherwise healthy persons or rats but many studies are quick to cite presentations by an M.I Tambi claiming these boosts in testosterone. None of Dr.Tambi's research presented in conferences appears to be indexed and the claims expressed cannot be proven. Recommended dose of 200-300mg daily.

Each two cap dose of Ultimate-T contains 1,268mg of the root prop blend which equates to ~2,500g daily of actual product. Given that the recommend daily dose of the three ingredients listed above (where that information is available) is ~2,700mg, it does appear at least one of these extracts is under dosed. Obviously impossible to know for certain but I still felt the math was worth analyzing.

No taste or issues at all with these caps. Easy to swallow and no powder burps or indigestion. I followed the bottle's instructions and took two caps in the AM in my fasted state and two caps in the PM after dinner.

I'm going to break this section down into the two separate claims on the bottle as I had significantly different experiences with each claim.

Testosterone Support
        Unfortunately I got very little from Ultimate-T in this category. True, I may not be the ideal candidate for this supplement given my natural test production, but I have had positive experiences with other natty boosters in the past (as stated - Pink Magic). Normally I experience a noticeable uptick in sex drive while on a good booster. That and maybe a slight boost to aggression. I felt neither here. Not even the barest bump to libido, which I was really hoping for as work and kids have caused that to drag lately.

Can't say I've ever noticed significant improvements to muscle mass or overall strength while on a t-booster, thus I wasn't monitoring for those types of effects. I'm currently doing mostly hypertrophy training while in a caloric deficit and thus not maxing out or watching my strength all that closely.

Cortisol Control
        On the flip side, I do think Ultimate-T really supported me here. If you've read any of my more recent reviews, you'll know I've been hard cutting since January 1st as part of a friendly competition between myself and friends. The month that I ran Ultimate-T was when I grinded past my sticking point of 210 lbs. and dropped down to my eventual lowest weigh-in of 203 lbs. (starting weight was 219 lbs. on Jan 1). Not only did I make significant weight loss progress during this four weeks, but I did so during a time when I had a high-stress work event as well as a cross-country work trip.

Of course, I'm not giving Ultimate-T all the credit for the dropped pounds here. I've been strict with my diet and carb intake and have been much more consistent in getting into the gym 4-5 times a week, but I definitely feel this product, specifically the Withania Somnifera, played a positive role in my progress during this time.

The cheapest I could find a 120 cap bottle / month supply of Ultimate-T was $32 or basically $1.00 a day. Test boosters are a tricky category of supplement to compare cost-wise given the vast difference in ingredient profiles, but overall I judge the price of Ultimate-T to be on par with competitor products. Outbreak's Rise, RSP's Prime-T, and Ronnie Coleman's Testogen can all be purchased for right around the same price for a month's supply. Obviously you're paying more for these sort of robust boosters compared to the single ingredient products like D-Pol, but that's to be expected.

Side Effects

Conclusion

T-boosters are probably the most challenging category of supplement when it comes to recommending/rating. Truly, what may work wonders for one individual may do absolutely nothing for another. Based purely on my experiences, this is a "Maybe" in terms of whether or not I'd recommend it. I do think its cortisol controlling properties are legit but don't think it's worth its price point for that feature alone. Personally I'd like to run two full bottles of Ultimate-T as another test to see if longer use of the supplement yielded better results.

For now, this might be worth a shot if you're exploring natty test boosters, just be aware of the potential limitations of the ingredient dosages.

Overall
        Thanks to Destine Nutrition for sending it out!
          April 6, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Strong Energy Boost
        • Clean Energy
        • Jitter-Free
        • No Crash
        • Improved Stamina
        • High Price
        • Harsh Flushing

As I tackled a more aggressive and constant gym routine as part of my New Year's resolution, I decided I wanted a pure high-stim preworkout for some of those early morning workout sessions (as opposed to a more well-rounded product). I really enjoyed Destine's AminoZone and decided to grab Gold Dust when it popped up for Troopers. Thanks to Destine for allowing me to run both products.

A note on timeline - I was primarily running Torque when I grabbed Gold Dust. I dropped in a few scoops of the Dust here and there as a change of pace, but for the most part I ran this after I'd finished my tub of Torque.

As stated, Gold Dust has a strong stim profile with 350mg caffeine and 200mg of 2-aminoisoheptane. FYI - college athletes will likely want to avoid this product due to its inclusion of 2-aminoisoheptane, which is similar in structure and effect as the stimulant DMAA and the nasal decongestant Tuaminoheptance, both of which are barred from use by anti-doping agencies.

Also included are clinical doses of NALT, Beta Alanine, and Taurine. I personally really appreciated the inclusion and dosage of L-Theanine, which is a relaxing amino acid that is synergistic with stimulants can "take the edge off" those supplements. Works really well here.

The Theobromine and Yohimbe are really the only players here that are lightly dosed, but personally I was fine with that fact. I've never responded strongly to Theobromine and given the already strong stim profile, I prefered a lesser dose of Yohimbe which has caused me some jitters and "crashing" in other supplements. Just to hammer this point again though; these are both stimulants in a sense and, despite the low dosages, are stacking on top of the caffeine and 2-amino. This is definitely not the preworkout for a beginner/stim-sensitive individual.

I received the Miami Vice flavor which tasted like I was drinking Banana Boat tanning oil. VERY strong coconut flavoring here. Not my favorite flavor of all time, but certainly not the worst tasting preworkout I've tried. Could use some work.

No issues at all with mixability. The powder dissolves almost instantly with minimal shaking. I generally threw between 3/4ths and one full scoop in 12oz. of water and sipped on my way to the gym, probably ~20 minutes preworkout.

Straight up, the first workout I had on Gold Dust was AMAZING. One of the best I'd had in a long while. I'd been avoiding high stim preworkouts for some time and immediately noticed the impact this stim profile had on me. A strong burst of clean energy that easily lasted for my hour-long workout, but didn't give me a stim-hangover, body chills, or anything else along those lines. I mention those sides specifically as I've just had a really poor experience with a different high-stim product, which makes me appreciate Gold Dust all the more.

The performance was slightly inconsistent. Not every single workout was as incredible as the first, but on the whole I really enjoyed what Gold Dust provided. Got me absolutely jacked up and ready to lift most mornings. I did notice a significant drop-off in effects when I took this on a full stomach, which makes sense. I also had two workouts in particular with some harsh side effects - see that section for more details.

Let's be clear again here, you're buying Gold Dust for one sole purpose and that's a ridiculous burst of energy. The pump and strength ingredients are noticeably absent from the profile, so obviously I wasn't expecting much on that front. Totally fine with me. I knew what I was getting but if you're in the market for a well-rounded product, this probably isn't the preworkout for you.

The industry average for preworkouts, from my research, is right around $1.00 per serving. If you want a more aggressive product that touts high quality, clinically dosed ingredients (Outlift for example) you can expect to pay closer to $1.75 per scoop.

Gold Dust, like AminoZone, is not widely available and is expensive - $45 for 30 scoops / $1.50 per serving. That's high, especially considering this doesn't have the sort of robust profile of a product like Outlift. However we all know a vendor's own website is often the most expensive place to purchase supplements. Perhaps because Destine is a relatively new company explains why their products aren't available on major retail sites just yet. I am hoping that changes and, when it does, it drops the price point of their products.

Side Effects

I had two workouts in particular where I experienced a strong flushing sensation across my face and shoulders, resulting in a blotchy rash that lasted about two hours. Beta Alanine is known for its flushing effects so I am assuming that's what caused this reaction, but I am unsure why exactly it happened only these two times and why the effects were so prominent.

The only think I can pinpoint is that those two workouts in particular I took a large heaping scoop on a totally empty stomach. Not all that different from how I dosed most of the tub, but it was enough to cause me to dial back the scoop size just a bit. I didn't have another negative experience once I dropped back to just under a full scoop.

Conclusion

For the most part I really liked Gold Dust. When it hit me right, it was phenomenal and one of the better stim-focused products I've tried. If you're hunting a preworkout to punch you in the face with energy but does so without jitters, than check out the Dust. Keep in mind the price is a bit higher than competitor products, but it could be worth it if you respond as well as I did (for the most part). Also this is awesome to stack with a pump-focused product.

Would not recommend to stim-sensitive individuals or supplement beginners.

Thanks to Barndad Nutrition for sending it out!
          March 23, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • No Bloating
        • Smooth
        • Very Effective
        • Improved Digestive Health
        • Expensive Per Serving Cost
        • May Cause Gas

Admittedly I'm a novice when it comes to fiber supplements. I've always figured I would benefit from one, especially considering my fiber intake is relatively low, but for whatever reason have never added one to my supplement stack. When I saw FiberDX (BFDX) available for the Troopers and read the strong reviews from two other respected reviewers, I knew I needed to snatch it up.

The FiberDX product I received contained 14g of fiber derived from both soluble and insoluble fiber sources, as well as 13g of protein, 1g carbohydrates, and 1.5g of fat. The national fiber recommendation for a man is 30-38 grams per day, thus BFDX met close to 50% of my daily fiber needs. On the whole, the profile of BFDX is far more complete and robust than your standard fiber supplement.

I pulled this content straight from the FDA website that summarizes the benefits of each type of fiber:

Soluble fiber can help lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad") cholesterol levels in the blood, while also slowing digestion and the rate at which carbohydrates and other nutrients are absorbed into the bloodstream. This can help control the level of blood glucose (often referred to as blood sugar) by preventing rapid rises in blood glucose following a meal.

Insoluble fiber provides "bulk" for stool formation and speeds up the movement of food and waste through the digestive system, which can help prevent constipation.

Both soluble and insoluble fiber make you feel full, which may help you eat less and stay satisfied longer.

I requested and received the German Chocolate Shake flavor. I wasn't sure what to expect here and I was surprised on all fronts. The shake mixes up relatively smoothly with only a slight grittiness, and that was just mixing by hand in a shaker cup with 24oz. ice water. Taste is fantastic. Really well done. A creamy chocolate cake flavor that is better than a lot of straight up protein supplements I've tried. Also, is delicious by itself but can be easily combined with other chocolate protein powders.

The instructions said to drink a shake 15 minutes prior to a meal. I did as directed which meant I was drinking this down right before dinner.

I experimented a bit with how frequently I took this product. I was hoping to stretch out the tub by taking a dose once every two or three days, but as I explain in the Effectiveness section below, that ultimately proved to not be the most efficient usage of this supplement.

Within three days of using BFDX I noticed a change in bowel movement regularity and consistency. I sometimes have issues with loose stools but had no such problems when I was consistently taking this product. Movements were fuller and more relieving. I did quickly learn that I needed to consistently dose one scoop of BFDX each day to maintain these effects though. I did not experience near the same level of smoothness and regularity when I tried taking one scoop every other or every third day.

Given that I practice an IF eating protocol, I don't generally have any issues with hunger or cravings. I did notice a small decrease in appetite at dinner time, which is obviously to be expected considering I was slamming a shake right before sitting down to eat. Could definitely be a plus for someone who struggles with portion control.

I've read in other reviews that some fiber supplements can have the opposite digestive effect and/or cause a lot of bloating or gas. I feel like I was spoiled with BFDX being my first true experience with a fiber supplement. This performed exactly as promised with nearly no negative side effects.

Fiber supplements have a wide price range. The simpler products, such as ON's Fitness Fiber, can be bought for as low as $6 for 30 scoops, however you're getting FAR few grams of fiber per serving as well as a much less diverse fiber profile and no protein.

FiberDX can be bought for around $25 for 20 scoops or $1.25 per serving. I wouldn't consider this "cheap", but you're basically paying for a high quality product that is more complete than competitor supplements. It does the job and it does it well. And let's also not discount the fact you're getting 13g of protein per scoop, which is about the amount of protein in half a scoop of true protein powder and thus could allow for some wiggle room with general protein supplementation.

Side Effects

Notice I said "nearly" no side effects above. There were a few days where I mistimed my shake and had it on an empty stomach closer to 30-45 minutes prior to eating. When that happened I did notice a big spike in gas production. Oh man. My wife was not happy. I will note I wasn't really uncomfortable or feeling bloated, it was just an aggressive farting session. My 3 year old found it hilarious.

Conclusion

I liked this product a lot. I believe it would be a beneficial addition to most individual's supplement stacks as it provides a host of general health benefits. While perhaps a bit expensive to take year round, I'm planning on grabbing a tub every now and then simply for digestive maintenance. Highly recommend.

Thanks to SteelFit for sending it out!
          March 15, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Good Ingredients
        • Weight Loss
        • Metabolic Support
        • Stress Control
        • Mild Indigestion

In all honesty I've not had much success with non-stim fat burners other than Thryotwin. I find most to be minimally effective and/or the cause of significant negative side effects. Even so, as I have been on a cut since the start of the New Year, I was on the lookout for stim-free fat support to help me reach my goal. SteelCore popped up at an opportune time so I decided to give it a run.

SteelCore comes with a simple and fully disclosed profile which was surprising. Generally you don't see that for this type of supplement - props to SteelFit. Now, trying to break down this profile to determine whether or not it is effectively dosed is a challenge. Some of these ingredients are very unique and have minimal scientific research demonstrating effective dosages. Even so, I've touched on the major players below.

L-Carnitine - common amino acid supplement touted for its energy metabolism properties. Most sites recommend a daily dose of between 500mg and 2g daily. SteelCore provides 750mg per dose; a good start.

Red Orange Fruit Extract - touted for controlling oxidative stress. I was unable to locate any studies regarding recommended dosage, but the other supplements I found that included this extract contained between 300mg-500mg. SteelCore hits you with 400mg per serving.

Ashwagandha Extract - a stress reducer and provider of cognitive support. 300-500mg is effective for most situations per examine.com; you get a solid 300mg in SteelCore.

ALA - very common supplement that is well regarded for its energy metabolizing properties. You want 300mg-600mg daily and you get 300mg here.

Grain of Paradise Extract - spice with similar composition to ginger that shows some promise in controlling fat mass. No studies done with respect to effective dosage although 10mg appears to be the dosage floor. SteelCore contains 40mg per dose.

The long and the short of it is SteelCore contains a somewhat oddball assortment of ingredients with a wide variety of effects, but they all seem to bel dosed within effective levels.

I did my best to maintain a regularly scheduled dosing protocol but wasn't always successful. SteelCore instructions say to take three caps on an empty stomach before your morning meal. Because I don't eat breakfast, I postponed my dose until just before lunch but I sometimes forgot or meetings got in the way and thus I ended up taking my dose on a full stomach.

The three caps are easy to swallow. Had a few doses that caused mild indigestion, but I could easily fix this issue by drinking a good amount of water.

Since January 1st I've actually lost 13 pounds. Started the year weighing in at 219 and was 206 this AM; the lightest I've been in several years. The four weeks I was running SteelCore were actually some of the more challenging days as I was grinding through the 210lb hump (I've always gotten stuck at this weight in the past), had a full-blown birthday weekend with my boys where my diet went completely down the drain, AND had to travel a few days for work.

And yet, somehow, I came out the other side still down several pounds. Here's the thing - the bulk of the past two and a half months I've been on a strict IF eating protocol. I've hit the gym with renewed vigor and regularity. I've cut down on carb intake significantly and have trimmed back on portion size. My alcohol consumption is down. All those factors combined are obviously the main cause of my weight loss, but I absolutely believe SteelCore assisted me in my progress.

Specifically there were a few days where I was certain my morning weigh-in was going to come in high and then it didn't. And I couldn't help but think the stress control and metabolic support ingredients in SteelCore were really doing their job. I obviously can't scientifically prove this, but knowing my body and my attempts at weight loss in the past, it definitely felt like the pounds were coming off easier.

Non-stim fat loss agents are an odd bag with most falling into the category of being only partially effective (check the reviews overview of this entire category - the only product over an 8 overall is Thyrotwin). They are also usually very expensive yet tough to compare price wise give the drastically different ingredient profiles.

SteelCore is no different and comes in at $1.50 per serving / $45 for a bottle on Amazon. Most stim-based fat burners are $1.00 per day, and if you are really on a budget you can go get a bottle of Thryotwin for $15 for a 90 day supply. Even though I saw some great results while on SteelCore, I still feel the price point is steep and likely prohibitive for college kids or people on a strict budget.

Side Effects

Very occasional mild indigestion.

Conclusion

If you've got money to spend and specifically want a non-stim fat loss product, SteelCore is one of the better options I've tried. I saw really satisfying results during my four weeks on this and would absolutely consider purchasing it in the future. My only gripe is the price. If SteelFit could get this down to be comparable with stim-based burners, then I think they'd have a true contender on their hands.

Thanks to Universal for sending it out!
          March 8, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • High Dose Of Core Vitamins
        • General Health
        • Immune Support
        • Robust Profile
        • Versatile Supportive Functionality
        • Gratuitous Ingredients
        • Some Ingredients Underdosed

Ah yes. THE PAK. The quintessential kitchen-sink multi-vitamin for active lifters. If you haven't tried Animal Pak, do you even lift bruh?

On a serious note, I'm a believer in consistently taking a daily multivitamin in order to ensure you're meeting core nutritional needs. I usually stick to a basic, one-pill multi with a relatively simple ingredient profile - ON's Opti-Men is a good example. I'd run Animal Pak (the actual packets) a long while ago, and was intrigued to see the powder version up for the Troopers. It looked like a new formulation as well, so I decided to give it a go.

One final introductory note: I view multi-vitamins the same way I view protein - as a mandatory dietary staple; not a product I expect will take me to the next level. Thus it makes this particular category of supplement rather difficult to review.

Animal Pak Powder is absolutely effing loaded and is slightly different from its hard pill brother. There are five major complexes in this powder: Vitamin, Amino Acid, Performance, Anti-Oxidant, and Digestive Enzyme. The Uni-Pro Blend (protein) included in the Performance complex is unique to the powder, while the pill version includes B6, a Uni-Liver complex, and Oriental Ginseng. Slight differences, but worth noting.

I could write a doctoral thesis on the profile of Pak and how it compares to other products, which ingredients are appropriately dosed, which aren't, and so on. I'll try to do a quick hitter here:

Aside from the Vitamin complex, the other four profiles are basically unmatched by any competitor multi-vitamin. They are insanely robust. Even Vital 4U and its 14 different pills don't hold a candle to Pak on these four platforms. That said, Vital 4U has generally higher dosages of core vitamins and minerals i.e. vitamins A and C, and more ingredients that support the immune system and mental clarity. Even so, when looking at the Vitamin complex in a silo (which I feel is the most important complex of the five) it takes a product like Vital 4U to stack up against the Pak. Your basic one-a-days aren't even going to come close.

Now that's not to say the Pak is flawless. I think some of the complexes are a bit gratuitous. Most of the ingredients in the AA complex are under dosed, some drastically so. Tyrosine, for example, has a recommended daily dose of 500-1000mg. You get 44mg from one scoop of Pak. Now, I understand the intent here is to support reaching daily values; not to provide the full dose... but does 5-10% of your daily dose of something like Tyrosine really make a difference? Same deal for the 3.2g of whey isolate. A nice addition for sure, but doesn't add much in terms of daily protein intake. Give me the Uni-Liver complex over the Performance complex any day of the week BTW.

Real talk - pills and powder simply are not a good delivery method of vitamins. They don't trigger digestion and thus aren't absorbed as efficiently (which is why it's always recommended to take vitamins with meals). But Pak has the Performance/protein complex and thus the added calories that I would expect to trigger digestion and absorption. A nice feature when considered from that angle.

TL,DR - the Vitamin and Enzyme complexes are the MVPs for me.

Requested and received the Orange flavor. Considering this is a VITAMIN powder, I was blown away by the taste. Tart and tangy and very much like a regular OJ. Yes, has some grittiness and some foaming, but nowehere near what I expected given the profile.

I generally drank down 1.5 scoops in 32oz. ice water after dinner.

As stated, it's rather difficult to gauge a vitamin's effectiveness, but I knew I was taking the Pak. I absolutely felt a stronger sense of general health and wellness. Admittedly, this feeling could be totally psychosomatic, but consider this - both my kids and my wife, as well as over 50% of my employees came down with the flu, stomach bug, or other illness during the five weeks I ran this product. This winter absolutely crushed people in terms of colds and sicknesses. Me? I skated through without the slightest sniffle. No cough. Nothing. I have to think Animal Pak played a big role in keeping me healthy and balanced.

One other note on effectiveness - the Pak doesn't fully replace a proper Digestive Enzyme. I didn't have quite the regularity that I do when I'm running that type of supplement, but I did notice a difference in my movements. Again, although it may not fully cover a certain health goal, the Pak assists and supports across the board.

The industry norm for a men's multi is roughly .50c per dose, with the more aggressive products running closer to $1.00 per day. The Pak powder falls in this range. At $29 for 44 scoops and a recommended dosage of 2 scoops daily for active individuals, you're looking at a price point of $1.32 per serving. Pretty pricey. That said, I saw solid effectiveness from 1.5 scoops (0.97c per serving) and I honestly think smaller individuals or those already running a robust stack with a true digestive enzyme and amino acid supplement would do just fine with a single scoop daily.

Side Effects

Conclusion

My recommendation of Animal Pak varies depending on the person. It is a solid, EXTREMELY well-rounded multi that I think can be used in a variety of fashions. Play with the dosing a bit, and Pak can be relatively affordable depending on your wallet. Am I buying this year round? No. But when I need as much health support as possible, this is where I am turning. Animal Pak is the king of this type of product.

8.9
        Thanks to Barbender Nutrition for sending it out!
          March 7, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Great Value
        • Versatile
        • Proven Ingredients
        • Effective Dosages
        • Good Focus
        • Respectable Pumps
        • Endurance Support

I'd had my eye out for a new preworkout with a simple, disclosed profile and a caffeine dose of under 300mg per scoop. Torque checked all those boxes and had received a number of decent reviews already, so I decided to give it a go. Can I also say how much I appreciate Barbender Nutrition's marketing approach? There's no ridiculous claims on the tub. Nothing about like SOUL FINDING PUMPS or ENERGY STRAIGHT FROM JESUS or HOLY SH*T YOU ARE SO FOCUSED YOU ARE CURING WORLD HUNGER IN LIKE 15 MINUTES BRAH. Just simple, straightforward branding and the tagline "elite products for elite individuals". Beautiful.

As mentioned, Torque has a profile that is fully disclosed and contains seven primary ingredients, all of which are dosed relatively appropriately. While 3g of L-citrulline malate is technically the daily recommended dose for most individuals, 6-8g is generally recommended for enhancing sports performance. Also I see other reviewers have noted 280g caffeine might be light for a stim-tolerant advanced lifter, however this happens to be my sweet spot in terms of caffeine dosage and thus I was happy with this part of the profile.

I also appreciated the diversity of this product. You've got a moderate stim profile, endurance support from the Beta Alanine and Betaine, a focus on the pump with the L-citrulline and L-arginine, bioperine for absorption, and a solid dosage of NALT for focus. All in all a very well-rounded preworkout.

I received the Watermelon flavor. Generally I'm not a watermelon guy, but Barbender did a solid job here. Tastes exactly like what you'd expect from a watermelon flavored supplement. Pretty strong to be sure, but not overly tart nor too sweet. Well balanced.

No issues at all with mixability. The powder dissolves almost instantly with minimal shaking. I generally threw one heaping scoop in 12oz. of water and sipped on my way to the gym, probably ~20 minutes preworkout.

I really enjoyed my experience with Torque. While it doesn't totally crush it in any one category, I found it to be respectable across the board. I've pulled each out individual aspect for review below. The only true gripe I had was I couldn't quite nail down performance consistency. Most of the workouts I had while on Torque were excellent, a few were mediocre, and a handful were poor. The deeper I got into the tub, the more pronounced results I experienced. Could have been a mixing issue with the powder. Could have just been I happened to tighten up the dose timing. Not a big deal altogether, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Strength - My workouts are almost entirely hypertrophy-focused with high reps at medium weight. I honestly don't pay much attention to how a preworkout impacts my strength as I rarely max out anymore. There's no creatine in Torque, which was fine for me, but if you really want a strength-focused product this might not be for you.

Focus - Solid focus. Probably the highlight of the product overall. Definitely helped me find the zone and stay in it for a solid 30-45 minutes.

Pump - I thought the pump Torque provided was quite respectable, despite the arguably low dosage of L-citrulline. Definitely felt the tightness and the squeeze in each muscle after only a few reps, and I noticed I was maintaining that fullness for an hour or two post workout. Honestly, this was better than most preworkouts I've tried recently in this category.

Energy - Moderate but exactly what I wanted. Wasn't looking for a high stim product to begin with as ~275mg hits me just right. A good burst of caffeine-fueled energy with no jitters or after-effects. Clean and effective.

Endurance - Right about average. Exactly what I expect from a preworkout. I generally rely more on intraworkouts for this type of support regardless, but you can tell the Beta Alanine is doing its job.

The industry average for preworkouts, from my research, is right around $1.00. If you want to go for a product that touts high quality, clinically dosed ingredients (Outlift for example) you can expect to pay closer to $1.75 per scoop. Torque, while not widely available, can be purchased from Barbender's own site at an excellent price point of $26.50 for 30 scoops / .88c per scoop. This is straight up a fantastic deal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Torque is a winner in my book. This is a clean, well-dosed preworkout that is versatile, hits all the main checkboxes, and is all in all effective across the board. On top of that, the product is downright cheap considering all that you are getting. Definitely a product I will be purchasing in the future and I look forward to trying more Barbell Nutrition products!