Clipper83

• Member has been active for 6 years, and was last online today

TROPHY CASE

Reviews by Clipper83

Overall
Overall
6.8
6.6
  February 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Has DMAA
  • Mild Appetite Suppression
  • Blends
  • Dwindling Supply
  • Not As Good As OEP

This product gets quite a number of searches, and it's pretty easy to see why. We all know the infamous OxyElite Pro, which made DMAA famous, with Jack3d of course. While those were some fun days, the market has shifted to some safer supplements. Believe it or not, OEP still gets searches on here, which is quite funny.

You may not see this product anymore, as DMAA is well on its way out, but it is still available at many retail stores I've seen. I'm mainly reviewing this for fun actually, as I may soon have to mark this as discontinued.

...

The profile is not the same as OEP, but still has some similarities. Same amount of caffeine(100mg) per pill, and DMAA in a blend. I've used both DMAA and DMHA. I can say I got better mental focus out of DMHA, but DMAA gave me more of a euphoric feeling.

The first ingredient in the blend is Bauhinia Purpurea. All I could find on this ingredient is that it may help with your thyroid, however, the only study I was able to find was one on rats.

Next we have Bacopa. I actually really like bacopa, mainly as a brain function supplement. I've used it in the past and loved the anxiety/mental clarity effects I got from it. It's in a blend here, and I highly doubt it is dosed high enough, as I didn't notice any effects I have received in the past.

Cirsium Oligophyllym has some studies on rats, all I could find there. May help with fat loss, but nothing conclusive. Last ingredient in this blend is alpha-yohimbine. This is actually a solid ingredient for fat loss, however, I have a big issue with not knowing how much is in this blend. With the high risk of side effects from yohimbine, especially alpha-yohimbine, I see no reason to ever keep the amount hidden.

Lastly, we have Garcinia, that Dr. Oz product that seems to have died out over the past couple of years. Standardized for 60% hydroxy citric acid, which is on par with many other ingredients on the market.

Pills so there is no taste or mixability.

Dosing is exactly like OEP, which is 1-2 pills in the morning, and 1 later on in the day. I typically just took 2 caps in the morning, as I like to enjoy an energy drink midday as opposed to just popping a pill. Caps are slightly big, which some may have trouble taking.

I'll break this up into categories.

Energy:(7.2/10)

With DMAA, I had high hopes for this product. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I got a mild energy boost at best, nothing compared to OEP. Almost feels like there maybe a sprinkle of DMAA in here. No real rush of euphoria like I wanted, but still better than a cup of coffee to get my day rolling.

Appetite Suppression:(7.5/10)

Not bad here, I typically fasted until around noon while on this, maybe a protein shake in the AM from time to time. I never had an issue waiting until noon or so to eat my real first meal of the day. It wasn't great appetite suppression, as it didn't last any longer than lunch, still being able to wait until 1pm some days before eating without struggling isn't bad either. In the words of Jim Carey, "I've had better".

Thermo Effect:(5/10)

There wasn't a big thermo effect with this. Some days I may have had a slight amount of sweat under my armpits, but nothing compared to other good fat burners I've used in the past. I added ThyroTwin to this one day, and noticed a big increase in sweat, so I was disappointed in this category as well.

As for results, that always comes down to diet. Fat burners are only supposed to help you reach your goals, not do the work for you. I dropped 5 lbs at one point while running this, but that was during keto, where losing that amount is normal. Now that I'm not on a ketogenic diet anymore, I am about 3lbs down from where I started, which isn't bad, but nothing close to some other products I've used in the past.

You can find this product for around $34.99. This price will go up, due to the availability of this product dwindling. (I am basing this value off of the price I got it at, now you'd probably have to pay a bit more for it due to it becoming less available)

For a 30-45 day supply, this is on par with many other fat burners on the market. Issue it, it does not work as well as many other products out there (which don't hide behind blends) at the same price, so I'm marking it down.

Side Effects

I didn't experience any, but some may be sensitive to DMAA or caffeine.

Conclusion

Well, this review is kind of bittersweet. The era of DMAA is coming to an end, which is both good and bad in my opinion. HydroxyElite was a great way to get my memberberries in before this too fades away from the market. It really wasn't that great of a thermogenic, I myself have had much better results with other fat burners, but it is still was pretty fun to run. I may actually pick up a bottle if I can find one and keep it for the distant future, if I ever need a DMAA fix. I just won't expect great results.

If you can find this, I'd recommend picking it up simply to keep around since DMAA is getting scarce.

9.4
  February 13, 2018

• Mixes Well
  • Great Pumps
  • Stomach Might Not Agree With Such A High Dose Of GMS

For some time now, 2 people I talk to regularly have told me how great MPA Supps products are. Seemed creepy to me, as they had this cult-like love for it. After hearing nothing but good things about the products, I decided to take a look at the brand myself. I decided to take a look at the pre-workout first, like I do with most companies. Usually, a pre-workout will kind of give you a good idea how well the formulator knows their stuff and how committed they are to providing a great product. Well, one look at Celluvol's profile had my go straight to Amazon and pick it up.

For those of you who don't know who Matt Porter is, he's an established prep coach who does not hide anything he is taking. He's def worth following. He's pretty well known in the bodybuilding community, and even my current gym owner has been coached by him.

To start, we have what Matt Porter describes as the "bread and butter" of Celluvol. 7 grams of L-Citrulline. I like the use of this over citrulline malate personally, as CM is typically just citrulline powder mixed with malic acid, and not the actual bonded form. The citrulline is "Kyowa Quality". That's the same citrulline NutraBio uses, and is worth looking into.

After that, we have 5 grams of HydroMax! This is the highest I've seen out of all pump products on the market besides MA-Pump, but Celluvol was actually the first. This is pretty much what made me want to try this out. I've used GMS at 1-2 grams before, with success, but 5 grams just made me want to see what such a high dose would do to me.

Next we have 1.5 grams of Nitrosigine. This is the clinical dose, and its nice to see it being used as opposed to the 750mg half dose I see many other companies using.

Alpha GPC is a great nootropic, which is at 600mg. This dose actually has some research behind it. I'd recommend taking a look at the "How to Take" section here on examine: https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-gpc/

300mg of ElevATP. This is a pretty new interesting ingredient. A proprietary blend of Apple extract and "Ancient Peat", which is fossilized plants. May be good at stimulating ATP production in the body. A typical dose is 150mg, Matt(as usual) goes over the top and puts in 300mg.

I have to mention that there is also some Himalayan pink sea salt in here as well.

The theme that I've noticed with MPA supps is that they seem to all be solid products, with more than you need for results.

I had the Candy Shock flavor. It tasted like Shock Tarts, minus the sugar. I typically get sick of flavors quickly, however, not with this one. I enjoyed every scoop I had of it. I've noticed lately that anything with a new flavor is only enjoyable for the first 5 uses or so. Gummy candy flavored pre-workouts for instance got boring so fast for me I already go out of my way to avoid them, and they are relatively new! This Candy Shock flavor is different. It is not overly flavored, and even though there is a slight chalky consistency(due to the Hydromax), it is great. One of the few pre-workouts I haven't gotten sick of yet.

It mixes very well. I noticed that there was no grit, which I usually have an issue with when it comes to products with glycerol mono.

One scoop 15 minutes pre-workout, easy enough. You can play around with it like I did. Matt suggests you hyper hydrate while you're on it. I like watering down my pre-workouts as it is, so that was no problem for me.

I did weigh the scooper out, and on the first try, without a heaping scoop, I got the 19 grams that the label said it should weigh. Looks like manufacturing is on point.

Well, looking at the profile, how can't it work well? I first tested this out with an arm workout, because who doesn't love to get a massive pump in their arms? For the first time ever, the pumps got to be almost too much. It got to a point on that first workout where I was just trying out every machine because the pumps were just so fun. Pretty much turned my gym into a Chuck E Cheese/Dave & Busters.

Almost every workout after that one, I experienced some very pleasing pumps, both from a feeling standpoint and a visual standpoint. It was on par with every other pump product as far as hard, dense, and painful pumps go. I actually started to see some vascularity in my arms, which has eluded me for quite sometime. Of course chest workouts were great, and cable crossovers always felt like something was either stabbing me in the chest or as if my chest was about to burst.

Leg days are a bit different for me, as I usually keep them quick and low volume. Even on sets of 3 reps, I found myself taking off my knee sleeves because the pumps got a bit heavy. This made me actually stop using it on leg days as I don't like a giant pump in my legs when I'm trying to hit a heavy set of 2.

I did take caffeine with Celluvol about half of the time. Whether it be from a Monster, Bang, NutraBio caffeine pill, etc. I usually kept it on the lower side though, and I'd typically share those 300mg of caffeine I got from the Bang with my girlfriend. Caffeine is easy to get a hold of, and I actually prefer to simply stack a loaded pump product like this one with a small dose of caffeine. My days of taking exotic stimulants and massive caffeine doses are almost completely behind me, as I've taken a liking to more volume filled workouts with massive pumps with great muscle contractions as opposed to cracked out workouts where I'm simply moving weight and screaming "REPS FOR JESUS". Not saying I don't enjoy a Hyde Power Potion or Bang here and there, but I think you get what I mean.

This is what throws some people off. Most people see $60 right off the bat and write this off. You can get this cheaper than that, as there are coupon codes available for 10% off. So I'm going by the $1.80 price per serving. At first, I thought it was a high markup. However, I did some math on what it would cost me to make the same pre-workout with single ingredients.

NutraBio L-Citrulline Powder (Kyowa Quality)
(7 gram serving)=~70c per workout (found on Amazon)

True Nutrition HydroMax
(5 gram serving)=60c per workout

Swanson Ultra
(1.5 gram serving)=66c per serving

That right there is already almost $2 per workout, and that doesn't include the other ingredients such as Alpha GPC, and ElevATP. So when people tell me the markup is too high, I think they just see the $60 and don't look into it more. The tub will last you a while, since it is a 30 serving tub, and not the 20 serving tub you see more and more nowadays. Feel free to criticize this part of the review, I'd like to see others opinions. In reality, I could mark this down for simply being a "more than you actually need". I'm sure my pumps would have been great at a half-serving, and if I dosed it that way, I would still be running it right now. Still, I can't mark down the value hard, since it is actually pretty cost effective when you break it down.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I now understand why Matt Porter has such a strong following. Celluvol is a strong, non-stim based pre-workout which gets A's as far as effectiveness and quality go. I recommend trying this out if you really like long sessions in the gym with massive pumps. The taste is great, the scooper checks out, the value is actually pretty good for what you are getting, and it flat out works. Give this a shot if you plan on getting away from stim-loaded pre-workouts. You can always add a dose of caffeine through pills, coffee, energy drinks, etc. if you really need it.

My green thumb basically means that if you are in the market for a pump product, or any pre-workout in general, this as a standalone or perhaps stacked with a caffeine pill would be a great way to go. Worth trying at least once, at least to see how a hefty dose of GMS will treat you.

Overall
Thanks to BN Labs for sending it out!
  February 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Added Velositol
  • Clean Profile
  • High Protein
  • Slightly Expensive

Today's review is on BN Labs Ultimate Whey Isolate. Now, I usually have plenty of protein powder sitting around, but what got me interested in this product was a particular ingredient. The industry has introduced some great new ingredients recently, such as Peak o2, Dynamine, Nitrosigine... the list goes on. Here, we have Velositol, another one of these new patented ingredients.

To start, it's a whey isolate. BN Labs uses Ion-exchange whey. In the past, I've bashed ion-exchange whey, as there are concerns that the process actually denatures the whey. There was actually a discussion about this years ago https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=12456.0

I'm not going mark them down any points on this however, as I haven't looked into it in a long time, and the protein could actually be better than I once thought. It is BiPro, which claims to be much better/gentler way to make whey isolate.

Out of 30 grams, 27 of it is protein. So 90% protein. It is a very clean protein, only one carb and zero fat per serving. Doesn't get much better than that. Looking at the entire profile, there are no fillers, which is great to see

The Velositol has research showing it to double protein synthesis. Check it out on this website: https://velositol.com/what-is-velositol/
Obviously I'm going to be a bit skeptical of some of the claims. However, reading into it, it looks like something you would have to take for a long time to actually notice any benefit from. Either way, it is nice to see BN Labs using new ingredients that actually coming from quality manufacturers. The days of companies using random herbs that no one has ever heard of (cough USPLabs cough) seem to be behind us.

I had the vanilla flavor, and I found it quite enjoyable. I would say it tasted kind of like vanilla pudding. Nothing too special, but tasty either way. The powder smells like cardboard however, just thought I'd mention that.

It mixes very well, no real clumps to speak of. Lack of fat and carbs surely helps here. It is a bit frothy, but nothing that ruins the product.

You're not going to notice much out of a protein powder. With that said, there are still ways to judge the effectiveness, one being how well it digests. With this being an isolate, digestion is easy.

I don't really think you're going to notice much from Velositol either. Even with all the great claims, and research behind it, you're not going to notice more out of this protein powder vs most other isolate proteins out there. I didn't notice any major differences in my body, but again, natural muscle building is a slow, long-term process, where even the best protein powders won't give you crazy noticeable results. I took this post-workout, and I can't really comment on recovery, as I feel so much goes into faster recovery.

Either way, it is another way to add protein to your daily macros without taking away from your carbs and fats. When you're in a deficit, you know the pain of a protein powder taking away from your precious fat macros.

You can get this for $45 off of the BN Labs website, so $1.50/serving. It is a bit more expensive that some other whey isolates I have used. MAN Sports Iso-Protein, which is also a very high quality protein can be found for as low as $1.28/serving. However, that protein does not have Velositol in it, so the additional cost may prove to be not so bad, depending on how good Velositol really is.

Side Effects

Conclusion

BN Labs Ultimate Whey Isolate is a high quality product with an interesting new ingredient. With such a high protein percentage, this makes it optimal for a cut. If Velositol turns out to be the powerhouse it claims to be, which time will tell, it may be one of the best protein powders on the market.

The taste is good, the mixability is good, the velositol is interesting. If you have extra money to dish out, give this a shot, especially if you are one of those people who take post-workout nutrition seriously.

January 30, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full-Disclosure
  • Mixes Well
  • Might Be Expensive For Some

Not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of MAN Sports. While I don't think every product is a hit, they seem to have a solid product line. MAN Sports always promotes their "micro-batches", which means they make only one thousand units(or maybe slightly more) at a time or so of any product. It helps them make sure their products are meeting label claims.

MAN Sports is known for high standards. For instance, there was one study surrounding DMHA in several pre-workouts, and it was found that MAN Sports Game Day was the only product to actually contain DMHA and meet label claims on the amount. The other pre-workouts pretty much had watered down DMAA. So MAN Sports is a company you can trust.

What got me interested in reviewing this product, even though I purchased it before this event, was that they won the Stack3d Protein Wars this year. Beating NutraBio is no simple task, so even though I already had a tub, after they won, I picked up 2 more tubs.

It's a whey isolate, so there is less junk in there than a basic whey concentrate.

With the 2 tubs I had, the Loopy Fruit only had 1 carb per scoop, while the sprinkled donut had 2 carbs per scoop. No/little fat in either of them. The content differs by flavor, but they are all similar.

There are 28 grams of whey isolate per serving, which MAN Sports says yields 25 grams of protein. I like how they give full-disclosure on the amount of protein. The only thing that NutraBio does better is listing out the amount of sweeteners, however that is nothing too serious in my honest opinion.

MAN Sports is known for being innovative when it comes to flavoring, at least with their protein powders. I had the pleasure of trying both Loopy Fruit and Sprinkled Donut.

Loopy fruit is obviously supposed to be a knock-off of a certain cereal(wink-wink). I found it to taste kind of like a mixture of Trix/Fruity Pebbles personally. Good news for MAN Sports is that Fruity Pebbles is by far my favorite cereal. It is a bit on the light side, which I'd usually applaud them for, but when you have something that tastes like the best cereal of all-time, I'd prefer it to be slightly stronger. Still delicious either way. So good I went ahead and bought 2 tubs of it.

Sprinkled Donut is not really like the strawberry frosted donut you see on the tub. Instead, I found it to be more of a maple glazed donut, which is still great. Flavor was a bit stronger in this one, but still delicious and original either way. If you don't like delicious cereal, go with this.

It mixes very well. Like most isolates, it does not thicken up too much in water. Never had a clump to speak of, so it's a 10/10 in that regard.

Dosing depends on how you use it really. I typically only took one scoop either before bed to hit my protein needs or as a post-workout bro-shake.

Like with every protein review, there are only so many ways you can rate the effectiveness of a protein powder. Iso-Protein is an isolate protein of course, so you're more than likely going to avoid any gas or stomach issues. That of course was the case for me, no stomach issues to speak of. This is the biggest advantage to isolate proteins. You're basically paying more for less "junk" in your protein powder.

I usually took Iso-Protein post-workout or before bed to fill out any protein macros I may have needed. I won't really comment on recovery, as I feel that there are so many factors that go into that. Mixing the Loopy Fruit flavor with almond milk and adding it to Fruity Pebbles cereal was a nighttime ritual at one point... couldn't get enough of that.

Again, there isn't too much to say here, other than that it was a tasty protein powder that didn't mess with my stomach.

Unfortunately, you might be able to find this for $43 on Amazon, but only in select flavors. Right now, I can only find this on the MAN Sports website. You can find this for around $43-$44 with a coupon code(20%). There are plenty of coupon codes to use to get to that price, but they do sometimes run special of 25%-30% off, which is when I pick this up. So as of right now, the cheapest you'll find this is a little over $38 with a rare 30% off sale. While that isn't bad by any means for a high quality isolate, that is a rare occasion. Going by the $44 price, which is common, you spending a bit more than some other isolates out there.

This one is tough to gauge. Personally, for the quality and flavor, I have no problem paying $1.46 per serving, and sometimes $1.28 per serving(with 30%). However, I could see this being out of some peoples budget. So for me, I don't mind paying this much, but I'm just kind of giving a warning to some others about what they may have to dish out for this.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is by far my favorite isolate protein right now. You have the quality standards of MAN Sports, a no-fat/low-carb protein, a variety of great flavors, no stomach issues, and perfect mixability... not much more I could ask for besides a slightly lower price.

If you have extra money to burn on protein, give this product a shot. I would highly recommend getting this whenever MAN Sports runs a 30% off sale, which usually happens once a month or so. If you like Loopy Fruit flavored cereal(Fruity Pebbles/Fruit Loops/Trix), you know what flavor to go out and try.

Overall
Thanks to FREEZiNda for sending it out!
  January 30, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Make
  • Tasty!
  • Unique Idea
  • Slight Bitter Aftertaste

I'm a big fan of variety in my protein powders. I typically have several on hand, as I like to switch it up just about every day with what protein powders I use. When I saw there was a way to make homemade ice cream out of my protein powders, I jumped on the opportunity to try this.

First this I have to mention is that this is loaded with sugar alcohol, depending on who you are, you may not digest this very well. I personally never had an issue, but I've heard horror stories from people who had protein bars with too much sugar alcohol.

Ve...

Vegetable glycerin, erythritol, sugar, baking powder, guar gum, and xanthan gum. Nothing too crazy in here, pretty standard for many products on the market actually, like protein bars for instance. The ingredients have been mentioned quite extensively in other reviews, so make sure to check those out. I'd just like to mention that erythritol has been advertised as something that does not effect blood sugar. I myself am skeptical of this, but I am not against the use of it.

One packet will give you an extra 150 calories. Not a small amount, but nothing you shouldn't be able to fit in you daily macros unless you are in a ketogenic diet.

The taste is really dependent on what you decide to mix with it. Obviously, I decided to go with protein powders I enjoyed. The first batch I used was Ghost Cereal Milk. This protein powder worked great. Ever have Captain Crunch flavored ice cream? Quite enjoyable, and I would say the consistency was kind of like a fudge pop. I love fudge pops...

With MAN Sports Iso-Protein, the Sprinkled Donut flavor was like eating maple glazed donut flavored ice cream. Iso-Protein Loopy Fruit was like eating Trix flavored ice cream.

Since I can't simply list out all of the proteins I used and tell you how they tasted, I have to mention that there seemed to be a sort of bitter taste to it sometimes. Nothing awful at all, but some might be more sensitive to that than me.

I actually enjoyed this over halo top sometimes, as I have a few more choices with this as far as flavor goes... and I have yet to see a Trix flavored Halo Top.

It's hard to judge the "effectiveness" of this product. It pretty much just makes your protein powder fun once in a while. This was nice to use over Halo Top ice cream, which I enjoy. I typically have a protein shake right before bed to fill out macros. This gave me something to actually eat and enjoy while working on SR or watching TV before bed instead of simply downing a shake in 5 seconds.

You can get a 5 pack of these for $15. So $3 per batch. This is not awful, as you can actually split one batch in half and still have a full serving of protein(roughly 25 grams of protein depending on what you use). While halo top is cheaper, you are getting the option of multiple flavors of protein that you have at home instead of whatever halo top has to offer.

What came to mind, since I got these during the holiday season, was that these are by far the best stocking-stuffers for a friend or family member you know is into lifting. It's priced at a point where I can afford it, but the need isn't there so I can easily put it off and say "I'll get it some day". If someone were to give it to me for X-Mas, and I had never tried it, I would say "whoa I've always wanted to try this".

Side Effects

Conclusion

I enjoyed having Freezinda in my pantry. If I wanted to spice up my protein during the day, this was another choice instead of the usual "protein powder, eggs, greek yogurt, beef jerky". It didn't really make my protein powder "better", but it turned it into a "fun" snack at night.

My green thumb pretty much means go out and try this. No guarantee you'll like it, but $15 isn't the end of the world for many people. Just make sure you like the protein powder you currently have first of course.

January 15, 2018

Cons:

To start, I'd like to say that this was a bit hard to rate. I knew what the product was going to be like before I bought it, but since it was a bounty product, I decided to pick it up. I'm a fan of the regular Bang of course, and love some of the flavors. Since a regular Bang has quite a bit of caffeine in it, having the option to drink a Bang without that seemed good to me.

Take a look at Bang, the rtd of course. Now transfer that over to this can, but on the way, lose the 300mg of caffeine. That's what you have.

Stim-Free Bang comes wi...

Stim-Free Bang comes with a blend of bcaas, beta-alanine, CoQ-10 Super-Creatine, vitamin c and electrolytes. While I like all of those ingredients, besides maybe the Super-Creatine, we all know that they are underdosed. Just like the normal Bang energy drink.

One thing I'd like to point out is the B-12 is in the methyl form, which is more bioavailable than the cheaper, highly used cyano form, so props there.

I bought myself a case of the Sour Heads flavor, and it tasted exactly like the original Sour Heads Bang. I love this flavor and out of all Bang flavors, it is my favorite. I've tried every flavor they have, and top 3 are Sour Heads, Purple Guava, and Start Blast. I assume they will add these flavors to the Stim-Free line, because as of right now I've only seen black cherry, cotton candy, and sour heads.

Well, I can't really say I got any energy out of this, which should be obvious given the lack of caffeine. I sipped on this anytime I wanted something nice to drink. Instead of my go-to Coke Zero Cherry, I'd go to this. It was nice to drink something that tasted like this right before bed without staying up late. I actually sipped on it during my cardio sessions, not for performance, because it tasted better than my usual BCAAs.

My "4" rating is because, well, this didn't do anything, not that I expected it to. It was a nice drink to sip on when I wanted the taste of Bang, but didn't want 300mg of caffeine at once. I guess it helped me drink more water... It's simply refreshing and tastes better than diet soda, at least to me.

This is where the product takes a nose dive. I don't mind spending a bit extra for a tasty energy drink that gives me a nice dose of caffeine, but since I'm paying for flavored carbonated-water with this, I'm kind of comparing this to diet soda in my head. Its more expensive than a normal Coke Zero, that's for sure. Basically, you're looking at the same price as a normal Bang.

So far, at least online, I have only been able to find this on CampusProtein for around $23 per case. You can get a coupon code of course, but you're still not getting this any cheaper than a regular Bang. I can get 24 cans of Coke Zero for under 35 cents a can. With this, I'm looking at slightly under $2 a can.

Side Effects

Conclusion

To be honest, I don't mind a "stim-free" version of an energy drink I like the taste of. I'd love to be able to drink all the flavors of Bang without getting a giant dose of caffeine every time. The only issue I have with this is the price. It is simply not worth paying the price(roughly) of 4-5 cans of coke zero per can of stim-free Bang.

The only time I would consider buying this is if I were at a gas station, and wanted a calorie free soda and had extra cash on me.

Forget the gimmicky "Super-Creatine" and the other underdosed ingredients in here. It is simply an expensive calorie free drink, and there are better ways to get more "Bang for your buck"... still tasty though

January 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Hydrates
  • Improves Recovery
  • Longer Lasting Pumps
  • Could Use EAAs

RedCon1 is a company I've been really into lately. I noticed they had the fastest growth in under 2 years out of any company I have ever seen. They quickly rose to the rank of #3 on SR, and I couldn't figure out why. So, when Aaron Singerman himself sent me a tub of Breach to try out, I felt the need to write this review. I've used MRE in the past, and really enjoyed that product. So Breach was a great way to see what else they had to offer.

First things first... no proprietary blends. Nice to see companies being more transparent these days. At this point, I can't think of any product I'd willingly buy with a proprietary blend besides a legit bottle OG Jack3d, which at this point is a Unicorn.

To start, you have 5 grams of a 2:1:1 BCAA ratio. That is the best ratio for companies to use in my opinion. Typically, many companies that use higher leucine ratios do that to save them money, as Leucine is the cheapest bcaa out of the 3.

After that, we have 1 gram of coconut water powder. Great for hydration/electrolytes.

1 gram of Taurine, good studies for blood flow and some studies suggest it may be good for performance. Also, we have a gram of Glycerol Mono, which I am a big fan of. This ingredient really helps with cellular hydration and you see more and more of it in pre-workouts these days and for good reason. There are human studies on it, and I mostly get a longer lasting pump from it. There are also hydration benefits as well. It's actually a great ingredient for an intra, especially for those who have longer high-volume workouts. I hadn't seen this in other intra-workout products, so it was actually a way for me to test something new out.

One thing I'd like to see here is an addition of EAAs. With new research showing that too many BCAAs without EAAs may be counter-productive. RedCon1 let me know that they are coming out with an EAA product in the near future, so that's good news at least.

I had the Pineapple Banana flavor. It was more banana than pineapple by far. Some have compared it to banana runts. Since I have not had that in a very long time, I cannot really comment on that. Either way, the taste is very refreshing when you water it down, like I tend to do with all of my intra-workout supplements. It is not overly flavored either, which is nice.

Well, with the addition of GMS, you can expect a bunch of grit. There was a noticeable amount of grit on the sides of my shaker cup. No surprises, but I wonder how much GMS I'm missing out on.

One scoop during your workout mixed in water. Easy as it can be there.

Breach was nice to run. The biggest benefit I got out of it was the hydration. I had no issues with cramping, whether it be during cardio or lifting. That is something I look for most in my intra-workout products.

I tested this out with a pre-workout with no GMS added to it, and noticed that my pumps would last throughout my workouts just a bit longer. While I still recommend taking GMS pre-workout to let it absorb, if your workouts tend to be longer, sipping on GMS intra may be worth trying.

BCAAs are great for anti-catabolic reasons, so getting a dose of it during your workout makes sense. I won't really comment on recovery, as I feel there are too many factors that go along with that(sleep/overall nutrition/intensity for example).

I've seen this for as low as $25 on Amazon, I'd give this product a 9/10 at that price. However, you'll find this for $35 on most sites. Not the cheapest intra, but not the worst I've seen out there by any means. You have some electrolytes, glycerol, and taurine added to it. Taurine and electrolytes are simple add-ons, but glycerol mono kind of nudges the profile to an "above average" state, so I don't mind paying slightly more than your typically BCAA with nothing else added to it.

Side Effects

Conclusion

RedCon1 has a solid product with Breach. While it isn't too flashy as far as an intra goes, it still gets it right where it counts. A tasty intra-workout drink, that aids in hydration, performance, and pumps. While there are plenty of ingredients that could make this better, I'd consider Breach a staple if it had EAAs added to it.

Give it a shot if you like long high-volume workouts. The longer lasting pump is great, and you'll be less likely to cramp during that time.

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Quality
  • No Bloat
  • Extreme Endurance
  • Can Be Expensive Depending On Serving Size

About time I got to this review. We all seem to love NutraBio on here. I've gone through a couple of tubs of this, and finally have some time to sit down and write a review. I got this off of the TROOPer program, and also bought a 60 serving tub myself several months back. I used to be completely against carb supplements and found it just to be big marketing hype for carbs that work pretty much just like sugar in the end. Lately though, with new carb products such as Carb10 and Cluster Dextrin coming out, I've taken a liking to the use of carbs around my workouts.

-...

To get this part out of the way, you get a nice dose of electrolytes. I'm seeing more and more electrolytes added to peri-workout supplements, and for good reason. Who likes cramping? No one!

Others have gone over Cyclic Dextrin in good depth, so I'll put it in simple terms. It's a carb product that does not throw your blood sugar/insulin out of whack, which for me means no blood sugar crash. It still has excellent gastric emptying, and provides a sustained release of sugar. There is info on HBCD on the "Manufacturer's Description" tab for this product, and plenty of info on NutraBio's website.

I had the Orange Mango flavor sent to me through the TROOPer Program, and bought myself a 60 serving tub of the unflavored version. The orange mango is too much of an orange to me, and not in the good way. I felt it was a bit too strong and I just didn't enjoy it in anyway. While it still "worked", the flavor just wasn't worth it for me. The unflavored is a different story however.

The unflavored is exactly what it says it is, unflavored. Perhaps a slight sweet taste, but nothing too noticeable. Since I took this pre-workout, it was easy to mix with other products such as CelluVol. No interference with my already tasty pre-workouts is a good thing. Try adding Orange Mango to your Candy Shock flavored pre... no bueno.

It mixes well, never had a clump. I tend to water things down, which may have helped. Even at 2 scoops though, I never had an issue.

As for dosing. NutraBio recommends this pre, intra, and post. I generally took Super Carb pre-workout. Towards the end, I was taking it post-workout on occasion as well. Lately I've just been using water during my workouts, as I've grown tired of flavored supplements during my workouts, so I can't comment on how it works as an intra.

I usually took 2 scoops pre-workout, which is how I'm judging this. With 30+ reviews on this, you'll find plenty of other experiences on post-workout, intra, 1 scoop, 2 scoops etc.

As I said, I mainly used this as a pre-workout. I've increased my volume recently, and I thought I'd benefit from a carb that won't make me pass out halfway through my workout, like dextrose would do. I got exactly what I wanted. There was a noticeable increase in my endurance during workouts. Even towards the end when I'm just doing isolation exercises to "chase the pump", I never really had to take a step back. Every set felt just about as good as the first one. I see this as a great option for endurance athletes.

The energy you get out of this is great. I've lowered my stims recently, and even had multiple workouts without any stims. I was actually able to increase my squat back up to 315 after a few months of lower weights due to a back injury. It's not really energy like caffeine gives you, more of an energy that I can only describe as your body feeling good enough to let you know that you'll get the next rep no problem. This is big to me as I get most of my carbs peri-workout. The first carbs of my day were from Super Carb(around 6-8pm), and I was able to regain my strength with little issue, even under 200 carbs a day. So being able to hit workouts as if I had plenty of stored energy while cutting off fat at the same time is awesome.

I did take this post-workout from time to time, but not enough to give it a fair judgement. On another note, I experienced no stomach issues while on this. I took Karbolyn several years ago, and hated every workout with it due to how it felt in my stomach. Thinking about it, I saw carb products as a waste of money for the longest time. Super Carb changed my mind for sure.

Since Super Carb is actually "super", it's going to be a bit more expensive than your dextrose or maltodextrin supplements. However, you're not really paying for sugar in this one. You get a significant performance boost out of this, without a nasty spike in insulin. You can find a tub of Super Carb for around $60 for 60 servings, sometimes a little lower. So $1 per serving. While I personally wouldn't mind paying for this, even though it's $2 per serving for me at 2 scoops, there is another cheaper options out there. Gaspari GlycoFuse! GlycoFuse can be found for under $40 on some websites, for the same amount of servings. There is no real justification in picking Super Carb over GlycoFuse unless you have an issue with Gaspari as a company(I could see why). They are the same product except for a slight difference in electrolytes, which is not even worth comparing.

I was seriously about to buy another tub of Super Carb until I found GlycoFuse. I would have no problem paying $1 per serving, but if I can find it at 66 cents a serving, I'm not paying that extra 34 cents. GlycoFuse is Lex Luthor to Super Carb

Side Effects

None, some have experienced stomach issues from this, I personally did not.

Conclusion

With my green thumb, I'm basically saying that if someone were to ask me about some good carb products, I'd mention this at some point. I'd let them know that Glycofuse is available at a better value though. Either way, Super Carb is a great versatile product that can provide an increase in endurance/performance. While the price could change a bit, if Glycofuse were to one day disappear, I'd go straight to Super Carb.

December 17, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quality Sleep
  • Little Grogginess
  • Some Ingredients Are Low-dosed

After going through Refuge, I needed a sleep aid to prevent the phenibut comedown. I decided on MHP's Recovery PM, as the price was pretty low, and it was a bounty product. I've never used an MHP product before, at least from what I can remember, so trying this was great way to get my feet wet with their products.

To start, you can see a ZMA product. You see zinc+magnesium added to many sleep aids for a variety of reasons. It's usually effective for muscle relaxation(magnesium) and hormonal support(zinc). In my experience with ZMA products, you get some pretty vivid dreams, which can be fun.

There are 2 blends in here, both are fully transparent, so props to MHP there.

Rapid Muscle Recovery Complex

Here, you have 2 forms of leucine. One is straight leucine, and the other is ActiveTR. When I worked with Myokem, mTor Pro was the first product to use this ingredient. It basically time-released leucine, which hits you with another bolus of leucine 2 hours after ingesting. It's like getting 2 doses of leucine over a 2 hour period. I'd like to see a higher dose than 500mg however.

After that you have CherryPure Tart Cherry Concentrate. Mainly used for anti-inflammatory reasons.

Sandman Deep Sleep Matrix

Valerian Root Extract- no stranger to this one. I'm a big fan of valerian. I always seem to get in the mood to fall asleep after I take valerian. One of the best things I've ever taken to help me get to sleep.

Next we have GABA at 150mg. This is quite a low dose really, and GABA on its own does not cross the blood-brain barrier very well. That is why phenibut works so well, due to it's ability to cross that barrier. Studies are a bit mixed on this ingredient. Pikatropin was actually just GABA bound to niacin, and that worked very well! Never got the same feeling that did from that as I did from straight GABA. May help with anxiety at the end of the day.

L-Theanine is a tried and true safe ingredient for overall mood and relaxation. 100mg is a decent dose, although 200mg would be nice to see.

5-HTP is a solid and very underrated ingredient. It's a precursor to seratonin, and can help with healthy sleep patterns. 25mg is a pretty low dose, 50mg usually works well for most in my experience, however I've seen some products up to 200mg work well too.

Next, we have Hops extract. This stuff makes me sleepy every time I drink beer. Gets mixed reviews, but it's a widely used supplement.

Lastly we have what I consider the powerhouse behind this supplement. 5mg of melatonin! I used to say that anything over 1-3mg was too much, but lately I haven't been having sleep hangovers like I used to from it. Still 5mg of melatonin may be a bit strong for some.

I had the mango nectar flavor, and it quite quite enjoyable. I was a bit worried, as valerian has the potential to overpower some flavors, but I had no issue here. Goes down easy, and is quite refreshing with ice. It's not overly sweet, which is was good because I've grown tired of overly sweet supplements.

It mixed well. Slightly foamy due to the leucine content, but I didn't have any other issues.

As for dosing, 1 scoop 20-30 minutes before bedtime, easy enough!

I'll break this up into categories like I always do for sleep products.

Getting to sleep:(8/10)
I was able to get to sleep quicker than usual. 20 minutes after drinking this I could feel it starting to kick in. I'd get to bed, and usually fall asleep within 30 minutes.

Sleep Quality:(8.3/10)
I got some pretty good sleep while on this. It was not as heavy with extremely vivid dreams like I got out of Refuge, but I still got quality sleep. Had no issues sleeping through the night unless I had to get up to use the restroom, which isn't every night.

Grogginess:(8/10)
Unlike Refuge, I had a much easier time getting up early for work. While on weekends I would stay in bed a bit later, during the week it was a different story. I felt like any grogginess I had would disappear withing 10-20 minutes. Compare that to the hours I experienced with Refuge, I'd say it was welcome.

As for recovery, I can't give the best opinion on that. Quality sleep will result in better recovery of course, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I'd like to see some EAAs added to this, as there is growing research showing that taking BCAAs with EAAs is a lot more beneficial.

You can get this for around $20. For 25 servings, it isn't a bad deal by any means. 80 cents a day for solid sleep and a tasty nighttime drink, I'd say it was worth the money on it.

Side Effects

None that weren't expected. I'd say maybe some slight drowsiness, but nothing you wouldn't experience naturally like getting tired before bed.

Conclusion

Overall, I was not expecting much out of Recovery PM, but in the end, I actually had a pleasant experience. While I could criticize the profile a bit, in the end, I still got quality sleep that didn't break my budget in anyway. For $20, this one is worth a try if you want to avoid something filled with phenibut but will still give you some quality sleep without making you hate your morning routine.

Overall
Thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for sending it out!
  December 9, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Proprietary Blends
  • Fall To Sleep Sooner
  • Vivid Dreams
  • Mixes Poorly
  • Grogginess
  • Intense Sleep Hangovers

Outbreak Nutrition has been making some noise here on SR in the recent months. Seems like all of their products have been getting positive reviews, with Refuge being the one people are torn on. I kind of like Outbreak's marketing. Instead of a bunch of steroid infused models, they have these cool videos on their website... Just check them out in your spare time. Insane Labz kind of does the same thing as far as avoiding fitness models, but at least Outbreak has some good products that don't hide behind prop. blends.

To start, props for th...

To start, props for the lack of a proprietary blend.

Outbreak includes 3 separate vitamins in here. Vitamin D(400iU), Zinc, and Magnesium. That's a ZMA+D product right there. Magnesium is one of those ingredients that I feel is very underrated, especially with its ability to relax muscles. They use magnesium citrate, which has a high bio-availability.

Phenibut at 1 full gram... Phenibut is basically GABA that can cross the blood-brain barrier very effectively. This is very hard-hitting and can cause some dependence. I would call this too controversial of an ingredient, but I know some people that avoid it due to its strength.

Ashwaganda in it's KSM-66 form is nice to see. You actually see this ingredient used quite a bit these days, and for good reason. It's a great adaptogen and it actually has several studies behind it.

I like Tryptophan, however I'd personally like to see 5HTP. Very similar ingredients, however, I find that 5-HTP works a bit faster. An easy description would be that this is a precursor to serotonin.

Nelumbo is something I had never heard of, until I read that it is another name for Sacred Lotus. There aren't too many studies on this ingredient as far as I could see. Supposedly good at lowering stress levels.

Finally we have phosphatidylserine 20% at 50mg. Not a huge dose, but PS is expensive and I'd usually just recommend people take that on its own. PS is usually good for cortisol levels, and actually when I worked at Sprouts, we had them in the brain health section(think nootropics) as it has a proven effect on mental health as well. It's a great ingredient actually, but finding a product with a high dose usually means paying a premium.

I had the strawberry kiwi flavor. It is pretty good compared to other products I have tried. Fairly smooth and not too sweet. I wouldn't call it the best tasting sleep aid I've ever tried though.

It mixes quite well, there was a little bit of grit at the bottom of my shaker however. I did dry scoop it from time to time, which was not the most pleasant thing. I don't recommend it...

They recommend one scoop before bed. I took either one scoop on weekends, or half-scoops on some workdays due to the strength of this product.

I'll break this up into categories.

Getting to sleep:(7.5/10)
This product was alright at putting me in the mood to sleep. It didn't seem to have a huge effect on making me get to sleep faster, but it put me in the "alright you better get get bed because tomorrow is going to be busy" type mood. Honestly if this had valerian in it, I'd probably be saying something else right now.

Quality of Sleep:(9/10)
This is where the product shines. I received some very vivid dreams and deep sleep. The dreams were the kind you wake up to and think "wth is wrong with me?". On par with other awesome sleep aids I've used such as Noxitropin from CTD Labs and Anesthetized from BlackStone Labs. Those are phenibut based as well. I had plenty of nights of uninterrupted sleep. I don't have much trouble with sleeping in general, but this just made that deep sleep very consistent.

Waking up:(5.5/10)
This is pretty much the only thing I didn't like about Refuge. The sleep hangovers were a bit too hard to look past. Even when I took a half-serving, I still had a bit of trouble getting out of bed. This wasn't too bad on weekends, where I have no problem laying in bed a bit longer. Still, there is something off-putting when you don't feel like getting out of bed until noon after you go to sleep at 10:30-11pm and actually woke up at 8am-9am.

I'd feel pretty tired on the way to work(1.5 hours each way), so this just made me hate mornings on weekdays I took it.

You can get this for $35 usually, so about $1.16 per recommended serving. It's not bad at this price considering some other products I have paid the same price or higher for, which were also phenibut based.

A lot of the value depends on how you use it. Due to the strength, most would find that this may be better run at either a half-scoop or one full scoop on days they can sleep in.

Side Effects

Sleep hangovers and vivid dreams. The latter is expected with sleep aids, however, it is still worth mentioning as some people don't like that.

The sleep hangovers were too intense for me to use it at a full serving on workdays, and they were still there(slightly less) when I took half-servings. This is why it took me so long to get through this product actually.

Conclusion

While Refuge was fun to some degree as far as hardcore sleeping and vivid dreams go, I feel it can actually hinder you when it comes to getting your day going. Sleep hangovers and laying in bed well after I wake up are only doable on weekends for me, so I'd avoid this product if you're looking for something to get yourself feeling refreshed after I night of great sleep.

The great sleep will be there, the productive morning... not so much.