Brotein

SR TROOPer

• Member has been active for 5 years, and was last online today

Reviews by Brotein

February 20, 2018

I received 2 tubs of BPI Iso HD as the result of a previous review on a product from the bounty program. Thanks to Clipper for taking care of everything and getting it sent out to me.

This protein consists mainly of milk protein isolate, along with hydrolyzed whey and whey isolate. Not a high quality blend my any means, but also not the worst I've ever seen.

Each scoop provides 25g of protein, along with 3g of carbs and 1.5g of fat totalling 130 calories per scoop. There's also a lot of filler.

I...

I had the Cookies and Cream flavor, which was pretty good. Also had little cookie bits in it, which is where I assume a majority of the filler comes into play. Usually, big name companies such as this don't have bad tasting products, so I'm not surprised that this was better than others I've had recently.

As always, protein is hard to rate in terms of effectiveness. We need protein to fuel our muscles after lifting hard, so we'd obviously prefer it to be of higher quality. This is lower quality, which is why I rated it a bit lower than I normally would at 8. Other than that, I didn't have any GI issues to speak of, so this did the trick for me.

7.5/10

Looking around, I saw this listed as low as $20.55 for 23 servings, so it's a decent value at under $1 per scoop. Generally speaking, this is what I like to see in proteins. I would have rated it higher if it were mainly whey isolate rather than milk isolate.

Side Effects

Overall

7.8/10

Overall, this is a good but not great product from BPI. If I were ever in a pinch and this were on a good deal, I would purchase this and use it again.

Report   Post has been reported and is currently pending review.

Thanks to Betancourt for sending it out!
  February 8, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Nice Blend Of Different Protein Types
  • Hard To Find Online
  • Weird Taste
"MUSCLE SERUM was created by an exercise physiologist-led, in-house lab and manufacturing team inspired by new, cutting-edge discoveries in protein/amino acid combinations for post-exercise. Research suggests that the combination of whey and casein protein is superior to whey alone in supporting lean mass and recovery. MUSCLE SERUM supports recovery and gains with a blend of whey, whey isolate, milk, and casein proteins, each with a varying rate of digestion."

This is what Betancourt has gone with when looking to convince us that Muscle Serum is better than the thousands of other proteins on the market. They're all basically the same when it comes down to it, with the differences being perceived quality, taste and lack of side effects. As such, lets see how Muscle Serum stacks up to the many others I've tried over the years.

One thing I do really like about Muscle Serum is that they break down the macros all the way to the exact amount of each protein you'll find in one scoop. They are as follows:

120 calories
0g Fat
2g Carbs
25g Protein
140mg Sodium

The protein is broken down further, with 9g coming from whey isolate, 8g from whey concentrate, 4g of milk concentrate, and 4g of micellar casein. Overall, we have a nice blend cooking with 17g "fast acting" and 8g "slow acting" proteins. I've started to like blended proteins more and more these days, and this is a nice split. It makes the protein versatile and useful in many different ways.

They also added 200mg of GABA, which I'm still not really sure what to make of. Don't think it affected me in any way so it's not worth more than just mentioning the fact that it's included. They also included a few digestive enzymes, which never hurts.

I had the Vanilla Cake Batter flavor, and it wasn't bad. Pretty typical vanilla flavor with a nice consistency. However, there was an odd off-flavor that I couldn't quite place my finger on. It was slightly metallic and bitter, so go crazy with the guesses on what that could be from because I'm not quite sure. Wasn't enough to make it terrible, but it wasn't enjoyable. I've had many proteins that tasted much better than this one.

8.5/10

Protein is protein is protein. Unless it stands out remarkably well in the taste department, they all start to blend together in my mind for the most part. As long as it doesn't cause a notable dropoff in what I expect in terms of recovery and it doesn't give me any stomach issues, then it gets a good grade from me. Muscle Serum was useful in many different ways, as I used this as a post-workout, a meal replacement and as part of other meals as well. They made for some pretty decent protein oats. Whenever I took it as a meal, it helped keep me full for a satisfactory period of time as well. Nothing outstanding, but a solid protein with a wide array of uses.

I hard a hard time even finding this for sale anywhere, but eventually did on the Vitamin Shoppe website where it's listed at $34.99. With 26 servings in a 2.07lb tub, this work out to $1.35 per scoop which is pretty darn expensive considering it's mainly concentrate. I would be able to overlook a high price tag for protein that tastes amazing, but this is not one of those cases, so I feel as if a 5 is more than appropriate here. Should be much closer to $1 per scoop in my opinion.

Side Effects

Overall

6.8/10

If this tasted better and were cheaper, it would be one of my go-to proteins. Alas, this is the reality we live in and I would pass on this in the future unless one or both of these factors changed. Too many great options in the flavor department that are of equal or higher quality than this to settle for mediocrity.

Overall
Overall
4.7
4.5
Thanks to Betancourt for sending it out!
  February 8, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Certain Ingredients Underdosed
    It was good to see a company like Betancourt finally taking the plunge and deciding to participate here on the site. I'm sure we're mostly all familiar with Betancourt and their work. This time around, I gave their Androrush a try.

7.5/10

This was a decent looking product on paper. Touting its ability to help manage stress levels, boost strength and endurance and raise vitality (libido), here are the key ingredients:

600mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha
    500mg Agmatine
    300mg Long Jack
    250mg Coleus Forskohlii
    200mg DIM
    1mg Yohimbine

Ashwagandha is used to help re...

600mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha
    500mg Agmatine
    300mg Long Jack
    250mg Coleus Forskohlii
    200mg DIM
    1mg Yohimbine

Ashwagandha is used to help reduce stress levels. We all know about the benefits of our good friend Agmatine when it comes to pumps. The rest help support "vitality".

I find a majority of these ingredients to be below what is recommended daily along with my personal preferences as well. 500mg of Agmatine is low and the Yohimbine literally as well not even be in here at only 1mg. I think that's in there more for name recognition than anything else, which I don't support. Basically, Betancourt has included lots of good ingredients in suboptimal amounts for the most part. There are a few that seem ok, however. DIM should be dosed from 100-600mg from what I've read, and the Forskolin is right on the cusp as well with a minimum of 250mg recommended. Ashwagandha should be around 1200mg daily, so Betancourt has half of that. Overall, it's a mixed bag where the good outweighs the bad. But did it work? That's the real question.

Dosing was easy enough, with Betancourt recommending a 4-cap serving per day with or without food, leaving that up to the user. Never had a problem taking this every day and there was never any aftertaste or unpleasant burps. No complaints here.

4.5/10

In all honesty, if someone told me I had been taking sugar pills the whole time, I wouldn't be surprised. There were no strength gains or lean mass that I noticed. There was no additional energy or endurance. No extra pump from the Agmatine when it was taken close to pre-workout. If anything, I may have had a very tiny bit of a libido boost, but nowhere near the likes of some other products I've used before, such as Launch Sequence. Overall, there was barely a difference between me on Androrush and me not on Androrush. I'm still young, but I've tried enough products like this to know what works and what doesn't, and this was one that didn't. Shame, but they can't all be winners.

Fortunately for Betancourt, they've put together an affordable supplement here. This is currently available on TF Supplements for only $25, working out to less than a dollar a day for a months' run of Androrush. If you were looking to try something new, this wouldn't break the bank. However, based on the fact that it basically did next to nothing for me, a 5 is the highest I'm comfortable rating this at.

Side Effects

Overall

4.7/10

All things told, I wouldn't actively discourage anyone from trying this one out for themselves. However, this will go down as being extremely forgettable and I wouldn't know the difference if I had never tried it at all. Thanks again to Betancourt for sending this out for us to try.

9.2
    Thanks to LabTech Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
      February 2, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clinically Dosed
    • Excellent Pump
    • Insane Ingredient Profile
    • No Proprietary Blends
    • Great Energy And Focus
    • Great Value
    • Tastes Bad
    I had heard a lot of hype surrounding Full Spectrum, so when it came around a second time, I was eager to jump on the opportunity and see exactly what all the talk was about.

9.5/10

If it gets better than this, I'd love to see it. This has basically everything you could ask for multiplied several times over. Some of the notable ingredients that caught my eye:

8g Citrulline Malate

350mg Caffeine
    50mg Dendrobium
    30mg Noopept
    20mg Syneprhine

And that's not even half of the total ingredients. This pre-workout is absolutely stacked.

Honestly, my only knock on this product was in this category as both the mixing and taste were pretty terrible. Lots of gritty sediment and the Sour Gummy flavor was incredibly chemical and unpleasant, despite the fact that I used nearly 36oz of water. I'd imagine it's very difficult to make a product taste good with such a large amount of ingredients, so I don't put too much stock into this.

9.2/10

Talk about one hell of an experience. From the first time to the last, Full Spectrum helped me have some of the best workouts I've ever had. Obviously the energy was great and I had some incredibly huge pumps, but the part I want to talk about the most is the focus that this gave me. Never before have I been so focused on my workouts.

This gave new definition to "in the zone" and it was a wonderful feeling to just get completely lost in what I was currently doing. This made it very easy to get in and do what I had to do. It's almost hard to describe until you experience it for yourself. It was like going into every workout incredibly pumped up. Truly unique.

8.5/10

Available for $50 on the LabTech website, this works out to $1.66 per serving. Considering that this is a one scooper and how incredibly effective it was, I think this is still a great value and wouldn't mind paying this type of price in today's market.

Side Effects

Overall

8.8/10

An amazing experience with a reasonable price puts Full Spectrum at the top of my list and makes it one that I would recommend everyone go out and try for themselves.

Thanks to Wildflower for sending it out!
      January 26, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Pleasant Aroma Vapor
    • Calming And Soothing Feel
    • Cool Looking Vape Pen
    • Helped Relieve Stress And Aches At Times
    • Not Refillable
    • Inconsistent
    I have to admit that I never thought I would ever be one to vape for as long as I lived...but then Wildflower came along here to SR. I passed over it at first, but eventually became increasingly curious about the blend of CBD and essential oils and the possible benefits they could provide. So, the second time these became available, they sat there going unclaimed and I decided I would have to give it a try for myself and see if there was anything to it.

As some of you may know, CBD is gaining a lot of traction in sports supplements, most notably with Tim Muriello's new "Chill and Grow" post workout gummies. I would not be surprised one bit to see many more companies include CBD in the future. For now, let's see how the Aches vaporizer fared.

This was easy: Just take a few hits from the pen when you feel you need relief from any pain or stress.

It does have a taste to it, but it wasn't unpleasant. Think of a mild mint flavor that burns the back of your throat slightly, but in that numbing sort of way that you'd get from mouthwash. It was actually pretty enjoyable to smoke.

6.3/10

I really struggled with this section in terms of deciding exactly if and how much this actually worked. I really wanted this to blow me away, but in reality, it had me shrugging my shoulders most of the time.

Some times, I would take a few hits and definitely feel more at ease and a little less sore as a result. However, I believe the act of smoking in general can be pretty good for stress relief so I took that with a grain of salt.

Other times, I would take a few hits and feel no relief at all.

Obviously, conventional thinking goes that the more you take in, the more effective it will be. However, there are only 150mg in each pen and each hit dispenses about 2mg of CBD, so you're limited in this sense. The pens are not refillable to my knowledge, so you would need to buy a new one to continue use. I think a larger pen capacity and higher dosage per hit would help here.

Again, tough decision for me here, but I went with a 5 in the end. $60 is a little steep for something that probably lasted me a little less than 30 days. Couple that with that fact that it was inconsistent and I would need to buy a whole new pen at full price rather than refill it at a lower cost and I don't think it's the product for me in terms of price. If I had money to toss around, is try it again to compare. However, as it stands now, I give it a 5.

Side Effects

Overall

----5.7-10----

I loved the idea of this product and CBD in general and would love to see future applications of it. However, I'm just not the biggest believer in this particular product. Thanks a lot to Wildflower for letting me try such a unique product.

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
      January 23, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Definite Increase In Joint Health
    • Great Profile
    • Easy To Swallow
      Obviously, Joint Care Extreme comes from a company that certainly needs no introduction here. I suffer from chronic costochondritis in addition to the normal aches and pains from lifting, so I'm always interested in supplements that could potentially ease pain and take care of my cartilage and joints. I've had some success with other products in the past, so let's see how this stacks up to the others.

This has just about every popular joint care ingredient you could possibly think of. Some of the highlights in my opinion are:

1.5g of Glucosamine ...

1.5g of Glucosamine - An absolute staple in joint supps. Helps support healthy cartilage
      200mg Meriva Turmeric - Showed decreased joint pain and improved joint function in osteoarthritis patients over a 3 month study
      5mg Bioperine - Increased absorption of other ingredients

Overall, this ingredient profile is packed but these are the ones that stuck out most to me when I first saw it available.

4 caps per day, I took it with meals. Simple enough and had no issue with aftertaste. Not much to say here.

Now, I wasn't expecting this to alleviate my costochondritis, which it didn't. However, I did experience a very noticeable decrease in the paints in my joints, particularly in my elbows and shoulders, as well as my ankles. These are the spots that usually have those little tweaks in them, but Extreme Joint Care helped completely take care of them for the most part. At some points, I forgot I ever even had pain in some spots. There were days here and there where I felt the aches, but for the most part, this really helped bring everything down.

8.5/10

I found this for as low as $24 for 30 servings on Illpumpyouup. For a product that helped alleviate joint pains the way this did, I consider this a very good value. Wouldn't hesitate to grab this again.

Side Effects

Overall

8.2/10

Much to no one's surprise, Nutrabio has another winner here. Anyone looking for decreased joint pain shpuld definitely give this a try.

(SR paid for product; Up Energy did not participate)
        January 20, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Convenient
      • Energy Did Not Last Long
      • No Enhanced Focus
      Being a big fan of energy drinks, I was excited to see that Up Energy was being offered up to us. I think by now, every knows how strong of an affinity I have for the Bang line, so I couldn't help myself and just had to see how this would potentially stack up. Here's what I thought:

Up has a pretty good looking profile for an energy drink. The main focus here is the proprietary blend that includes the likes of caffeine, glucoronolactone, taurine and panax ginseng. These are all commonly found in energy drinks throughout the market. Obviously, the biggest factor here is the caffeine content which comes in at 200mg. This is a solid amount that should provide a nice boost of energy in synergy with the other ingredients.

For those it matters to, Up also has 15 calories and 7g of carbs. For me, this is a negligent amount, but I know for others who count their carbs religiously, this would absolutely pose a problem. In that case, you may want to stick to those with no calories.

and

This currently comes in 2 flavors. They don't have names, and simply go by their 2 colors: blue and white. They were both citrusy, and not too heavy on the palette. I personally enjoyed the white more than the blue, but wouldn't rate either the best I've ever had. These rank below both Monster Rehab, Bang and Xyience in my book.

In terms of a quick pick me up, this was just fine, but not great by any means. Comparable to Xyience and Monster Rehab, but nowhere close to a can of Bang. It got me through maybe an hour or two if I were tired, but nothing past that. I think it was most beneficial in the morning where I needed that energy immediately. It was less useful mid day or at night and don't think it would be beneficial pre-workout. If I needed something to really power through my day, I would be inclined to look in another direction.

I also don't feel that this did much for me in terms of focus. Energy and focus are the two main benefits I look for when it comes to energy drinks, and this didn't give me the boost I normally look for in either category. So while it definitely did something, I don't believe it exactly did much.

5.5/10

Up retails through its website for $30 per 12 cans before any type of bulk discount or referrals. This works out to $2.50 per can. Compare that to some of my personal favorites: $2.04 per can for Xyience, $1.79 per can for Bang and $1.51 per can of Monster Rehab. All of these worked equally as well or better than Up and all at a better price, so I would not consider this a good value. If it were looking based on good value alone, this would not be the choice.

Side Effects

Overall

6.2/10

All things said and done, I've had much cheaper energy drinks that were just as enjoyable if not better than Up. If I saw this in stores, I may buy it every now and then if I were craving the flavor and had money to blow, but otherwise, I would stick to what I already know or try something new rather than this.

Thanks to Quantified Nutrition for sending it out!
        January 13, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Aids Recovery
      • Boosts Endurance
      • Reduces Fatigue
      • Taste Great
      • Versatile
      • Well Dosed
        /I have to admit, I hadn't ever heard about Quantified Nutrition until I saw them participating as part of the TROOP program. I think this is one of the true bright spots of the program: Brands that are relatively unknown and stand behind their product can offer them up for review and potentially have this be their launching point toward bigger and better things. From what I've seen so far from other reviews, it looks like this may happen for Quantified. So far, their BCAA has been the biggest hit. Let's see how I enjoyed it compared to the other reviewers.

----...

A great looking ingredient profile is what we have here. Q Amino is packed with 9g of BCAAs as 6g of Citrulline and 3g of Beta-Alanine. This makes Q Amino an especially versatile product, as you can use it either in the traditional sense intra-workout or you could use it as a stimulant free pre-workout option. I love this sort of flexibility and it makes it doubly appealing.

Q Amino mixed very well with minimal gritty sediment. I had the pleasure of trying the Strawberry Kiwi flavor, which was absolutely delicious. I typically use a lot of water with my amino products (30-40oz) and this was very pleasing to drink each and every time. Definitely more sweet strawberry flavor than tart kiwi.

8.7/10

With its dual capability, I had to think of Q Amino as both a pre and intra in terms of effectiveness, and it was highly effective when used either way.

When used as an intra, this helped me feel well hydrated throughout my workout and I generally felt more energized and recovered between each set and ready to go for the next. The added Citrulline also helped to keep a nice, heavy pump going during the entire course of my workouts and made for a nice complement to whatever pre-workout I was using.

As a pre, this did a great job of still providing some great pumps and endurance thanks to the nice doses of Citrulline and Beta-Alanine. Whichever way you decide to use this, you can't go wrong.

7.7/10

At $36 for 30 servings, this is a bit more expensive than usual for BCAA products, but the inclusion of Citrulline and Beta-Alanine help to justify this decision. I consider this to be just under the borderline of great value, and would obviously be higher whenever it goes on sale. Wouldn't mind paying this in the future.

Side Effects

Overall

8.2/10

A great multi-purpose BCAA that I would love to pick up again in the future. I'm curious to see how Quantified grows and would love to see this in more flavors next time around.

Thanks to Adaptogen Science for sending it out!
          January 7, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Good Quality
        • Mixes Well
        • Clean Macros
        We all know that not much differs from protein to protein from all the companies out there beside the taste. Per the original note from the rep, Tasty Iso from Adaptogen Sciences is
        "The best tasty whey isolate protein guaranteed". That's a fairly bold claim that I've heard and seen many times before without any weight behind it, so we'll see how this one holds up to these claims of the best tasting whey.

Only 110 calories with 24g of high quality protein per scoop and only 2g of carbs and 1g of fat. Great protein on paper and a very clean source of post workout nutrition. Based of profile alone, this is a winner.

Dosing this was easy, as I took either one or two scoops post workout depending on how much protein I felt I had gotten throughout the day. I had the vanilla version of this and thought it was pretty good, but not great. I've definitely had better vanilla proteins before. Considering a big selling point of this is the taste and that its name is literally based off of it, I was pretty disappointed in this aspect. The texture was certainly thicker than others, which did give it more of a milkshake feel that was enjoyable.

This didn't give me any issues with digestion and didn't result in any decrease in recovery from what I could tell, so I'd say this was as effective as any other isolate protein. These all start to blend together and feel hard to rate sometimes unless they weren't effective, so I try and keep them all within the same ballpark.

$1.60 per scoop, which is more or less right in line with some of the higher quality isolates out there. However, I've had others that taste much better at the same price with the same effectiveness, which would lead me to look in another direction most times unless this were on sale.

Side Effects

None. No GI issues or anything of the sort. To be expected

Overall

7.5/10

A solid protein, but I've had ones of similar quality that cost around the same price and taste better that I'd use again before this.

Overall
        Thanks to Loud Muscle Science for sending it out!
          December 30, 2017

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Libido Booster
        • Increase Desire
        • Solid As A Rock
        • Blend
        I'm going to preface this review by stating that I am a healthy 25 year old with no problems with libido. The reason I took this product is because it was sitting unclaimed for quite a while and I thought it would be interesting to see what type of effect this could have on someone with no issues in this department.

6.5/10

6.5/10

Launch Sequence is composed of a blend of 1,560mg of several different ingredients. They included most of the main suspects in libido products, including horny goat weed, tribulis and yohimbe. A majority of these ingredients are likely under dosed, but as I've come to find a few times before, some products remain exceedingly effective despite this fact. Launch Sequence was one of these products.

Dose was 2 capsules. No smell or aftertaste to speak of, so not much to say here. Feel free to move along to the next section where it gets interesting.

Let me say that I'm absolutely not exaggerating when I say that Launch Sequence turned me into a walking, talking time bomb. A small breeze would have been more than enough to set my gears completely into motion. I'd advise not taking this before work if you can. That's a bad idea. I'm actually shocked at how well this worked considering the ingredient profile, almost to the point of skepticism. Take that last comment as you will. All I know is that if I had to recommend a libido product based on effectiveness alone, this would be the one. However...

This is insanely expensive. 30 servings for $90, working out to $3 every time I use this. Considering that I have no problem in this area, I definitely wouldn't even think about shelling out this kind of coin. However, I decided to rate it a 6 considering how well this worked otherwise.

Side Effects

Conclusion

7.5/10

If you're someone who has trouble with libido and has a lot of expendable funds, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend giving Launch Sequence a go. I think you'll be more than pleased with the results.