Brotein

• Member has been active for 5 years, and was last online today

Reviews by Brotein

April 29, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grass Fed Sources
  • NSF Certified
  • Low Fat And Carb Profile
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Mostly Isolate
  • Clumps

A decent tasting protein powder considering the natural flavoring that is definitely on the expensive side. NSF certification is nice, but doesn't tip the scales enough for me to justify $2 per scoop. There are other brands I would trust just as much that aren't as expensive as this.

I've been using Catalyst Grass Fed Whey by Strength.com for the past few weeks now, exclusively post-workout. Here are my thoughts.

This is an extremely clean product that meets NSF certification. For those who aren't familiar, the NSF "Meets the needs of safety and quality for the dietary supplements industry. NSF ensures product and ingredient safety, giving both industry and consumers peace of mind through GMP compliance, accredited certification programs, testing services and training capabilities." This excerpt was pulled directly from: http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/nutritional-products

It's always reassuring to know when supplements are being well regulated. Catalyst is naturally flavored and only has 7 ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Dextrose, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Stevia and Salt, all in that order. As stated, a very clean and naturally flavored isolate.

As for the macros (per scoop):

110 Total Calories
0.5g Fat
20mg Cholesterol
3g Carbs
1g Sugar
24g Protein
85mg Sodium

I had the Natural Vanilla flavor. I'm not the biggest vanilla protein fan, but considering this was flavored naturally, it was pretty good. Not great, but good for what it was. A little bitter on the back end. This would occasionally have clumps in it that I would be able to get out by shaking more vigorously than usual. The texture was on the thicker/creamier side for those of you that find this important.

8.7/10

Insert obligatory "protein is protein" statement here. Past that, I had no issues digesting this protein and it always feels good to consume something that you know is naturally flavored and is highly regulated and certified. I can't claim that this specific protein powder helped me recover more than any others I've ever used, but I also didn't notice any decrease, either. There were more than a few times where I would have this post workout and then not have anything else to eat for the rest of the night, so it also helped to keep me pretty satiated. Protein is such an invaluable tool when cutting, so this helped a lot over the past few weeks.

5.8/10

As of this moment, this apparently isn't available for purchase anywhere, including on Strength.com, which I find a bit odd. However, they still have the product listed on their website. They have it listed at $59.99, which is all I have to work with. At this price, even with all of the natural aspects and certifications that come with this protein, I still find it (personally) too expensive. I've never used it before, but Nutrabio has a Grass Fed Protein as well that has the same amount of servings as Catalyst with an extra gram of protein per scoop and less extra ingredients for $10 less. Considering that I trust them just as much (if not more), I would turn there first before I ever came back to this if based strictly on price.

Side Effects

Overall

7.1/10

A fine naturally flavored option that tastes surprisingly well, but could definitely be priced more competitively directly through their website.

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  April 28, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Libido
  • Fully Dosed
  • Transparent Profile
  • Better Workouts
    Quick disclaimer: I came down with a bad case of gastroenteritis right in the middle of using this product, followed subsequently by a few weeks where I wasn't going to the gym. As a result, I purchased another container of this and my review will be exclusively of my experience with the second container. My apologies to Redcon1 for the inconvenience.

9.5/10

In terms of a natural test boosting product, I've never seen a more stacked profile than this. Redcon1 did an excellent job of taking the most popular ingredients and including them all in impressive amounts.

In a full 9 capsule serving, you get:

3.12g DAA
    1g Ashwagandha (They have it spelled as Ashwanga on the product label, but I'm fairly certain that's a mistake)
    750mg Tribulus
    600mg Fenugreek
    250mg DIM
    175mg Nettle Extract
    160mg DHEA

If anyone can find a better dosed profile out there, feel free to let me know because I'd love to see it. This has everything you could want in order to (theoretically) increase test levels and libido.

9 pills broken up however you please. I don't have a problem with pills so I just swallowed them all at once, once per day.

8.5/10

Placebo? Possibly. Natural test boosters have always been a point of contention in the supplement industry over whether or not they actually work. All I can say is that throughout my use of Boom Stick, I was consistently having workouts more intense than I normally would along with a noticeably increased libido. Blood really seemed to be flowing freely, especially into a few particular areas, if you catch my drift. Things did seem to fall off a bit going into week 4, and about a week after the last dose I felt I was back to "baseline". In terms of effectiveness, I absolutely feel as if this gave me a boost.

When I purchased this, it was around $65. This was my biggest gripe and I wouldn't really consider buying it again at that price. However, Muscle and Strength has this available for $29.99 at this very moment, which I would consider to be an absolute steal. I would run, not walk to their website and grab it now at that price if this review has given you an idea of trying it.

Side Effects

A bit of an increase in acne on my back

Overall

8.8/10

The best natural test booster I've tried to date, bar none. I would absolutely consider buying this again in the future.

March 31, 2018

Ah, Cellucor. A company who thrives off of its long standing reputation, yet seems to steer clear of innovation. Clipper sent me a tub of this NO3 Chrome Powder to use, and I was a bit skeptical that this would do much at first based off of the ingredient profile alone. Boy, was I ever wrong. Allow me to tell you all about my pleasantly surprising experience with this one.

On paper, this really is a rather lackluster product with almost no ingredients that stand out other than the Arginine Nitrate. 2g of Citrulline is nothing by today's standards, and 1g of AAKG and 500mg of Grape Seed Extract don't exactly move the needle for me.

This was unflavored and colorless. They did a good job of masking the taste of the ingredients and mixing was just fine with no sediment. Good job here.

8.6/10

I tried this in several different ways: On it's own, with stimulants, and with a stimulant based pre-workout.

On its own: Pump was pretty noticeably improved at just one scoop, which surprised me. At 2 scoops, this was one of the better pump products that I've used before. Very full, slightly dry pumps with increased vascularity.

With stimulants: I would take 1-2 scoops with either some coffee/fat burner/energy drink and get to work. The lower amount of stimulants didn't take away any of the pump boosting properties, making for some killer workouts.

With stimulant based pre-workouts: I think at higher amounts of caffeine and stimulants, adding this was counter-intuitive due to the vasoconstrictive nature of the stimulants. Didn't have any noticeable increase in pumps.

My favorite way to take this one was the second way.

6.5/10

Currently on sale at AllStarHealth for $17.99 per 30 servings, this works out to $0.60 per scoop. If you used 2 scoops the majority of the time as I did, that's $1.20 per workout. This can get expensive quickly if you're using 2 scoops, but at one scoop it would be manageable. I decided to go right down the middle in this case at 6.5.

Side Effects

Overall

7.5/10

A pleasant surprise and fun product to run, I would consider grabbing this to use again if the price were right.

March 27, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Good
    • Quality Protein
      I received 2 tubs of BPI Iso HD as the result of a previous review on a product from the bounty program. These tubs, as it was brought to my knowledge in the comments, are an older version from before a reformulation. Thanks to Clipper for taking care of everything and getting it sent out to me.

8.5/10

This is a high quality isolate that consists of whey protein isolate and whey protein hydrolysate.

8.5/10

Each scoop provides 25g of protein, along with 3g of carbs and 1.5g of fat totalling 130 calories per scoop. However, there's also a lot of filler, including high fructose corn syrup, baking soda, sugar and dextrose. This is high quality, but not clean by any means.

I had the Cookies and Cream flavor, which was pretty good. It also had little cookie bits in it, which is where I assume a majority of the filler comes into play. Usually, big name companies such as this don't have bad tasting products, so I'm not surprised that this was better than others I've had recently.

8.5/10

As always, protein is hard to rate in terms of effectiveness. We need protein to fuel our muscles after lifting hard, so we'd obviously prefer it to be of higher quality. This protein fits the bill in that regard with its high quality whey isolate and hydrolysate. This protein settled just fine in my stomach and didn't lead to any nasty gas or GI issues. I wouldn't say I could feel a difference in recovery while using this, but I'm sure it was helping my muscles to heal and grow.

8.5/10

Looking around, I saw this listed as low as $20.55 for 23 servings, so it would be a great deal if you can still find this version floating around rather than the newly reformulated version. Any time whey isolate is under $1 per scoop, I'm a happy man.

Side Effects

Overall

8.5/10

Overall, this is a good protein from BPI that I actually wish they hadn't reformulated considering I believe this version to be better. I'd recommend getting any of this version that you could as it's probably going to start popping up at reduced rates soon due to expiration dates.

Thanks to Destine Nutrition for sending it out!
        February 28, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Pumps
      • Stimulant Free
      • Patented Form Of Glycerol
      • Tastes Great
      • Mixes Well
      Destine Nutrition is one of the latest companies to appear on our radar here on SR, and they offer a number of good looking products. The one that most caught my eye was Per4mance Pump, considering I've been looking to lower my overall caffeine intake and haven't used a stim-based pre in a little while now.

In Per4mance Pump, we have the following:

4g L-Citrulline DL-Malate
      2g Creatine Monohydrate
      2g Beta-Alanine
      2g Hydromax (Glycerol Powder)
      5mg Bioperine

In Per4mance Pump, we have the following:

4g L-Citrulline DL-Malate
      2g Creatine Monohydrate
      2g Beta-Alanine
      2g Hydromax (Glycerol Powder)
      5mg Bioperine

A pretty good looking profile. 4g isn't low for Citrulline, but isn't exactly high, either. Higher than a lot of other products that include it, so I have no complaints. It isn't even the ingredient that caught my eye the most, so it settles in nicely at 4g in my opinion.

2g a piece of Creatine and Beta Alanine are both a bit low, but again, not the driving point behind this product.

2g of Hydromax is what I was most interested in. This is a pretty nice dose of glycerol, so I always made sure to hydrate more than I normally would while using this so I could reap the benefits fully. Hydromax "enhances plasma and intramuscular volume expansion, producing a more engorged muscular appearance." In other words, it helps you get a huge pump and keep you hyper hydrated so long as you increased your fluid intake. Interestingly enough, Hydromax could also be used for the opposite effect in people getting ready to compete, as you could take it without increasing your fluid intake and it would help to dry the body out and look leaner. Fun stuff.

Topping it all off is our good friend Bioperine, helping everything be absorbed more efficiently by the body. 5mg seems to be the standard in a variety of different products.

Miami Vice was the flavor of Per4mance Pump, and simply put, it was very tasty. 20-24oz of water to a scoop seemed to be the sweet spot in terms of flavor. Best way I could describe it was tropical fruits mixed with coconut.

In terms of texture, it was gritty, but not so much that it was bothersome. Not much sediment left at the bottom so long as I kept mixing as I went along. Great job in this area.

8.5/10

I was looking for some good pumps since I wasn't really taking any stimulants pre-workout, but this exceeded what I initially expected to get out of it. The pumps I got from this were great! Very dense, very full, very solid pumps were the norm while using Per4mance Pump. Not once did I go without a pump when using it.

As far as strength and endurance were concerned, I think there was a bit of a boost, but not much. Considering the doses were a little low on the Creatine and Beta Alanine, I'm not surprised. Then again, this wasn't the focus of the product in my eyes, so it doesn't affect the rating for me so much.

As it stands now, this is the only drawback for Per4mance Pump. It's pricey at $45 for 30 servings, and is currently only available directly through the Destine website as far as I could find. At $1.50 per scoop, it's one of the more expensive pump products around, but I would imagine the price comes down quite a bit if it ever hits retail sites. It worked very well, so I think a 7 is fair for this.

Side Effects

Overall

A great pump product from an up and coming company, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a stimulant free option. It's currently a little pricey, but if it ever becomes cheaper, I could see this being a go-to product when I'm in need of something like it.

Thanks to Betancourt for sending it out!
        February 8, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Nice Blend Of Different Protein Types
      • Hard To Find Online
      • Weird Taste
      "MUSCLE SERUM was created by an exercise physiologist-led, in-house lab and manufacturing team inspired by new, cutting-edge discoveries in protein/amino acid combinations for post-exercise. Research suggests that the combination of whey and casein protein is superior to whey alone in supporting lean mass and recovery. MUSCLE SERUM supports recovery and gains with a blend of whey, whey isolate, milk, and casein proteins, each with a varying rate of digestion."

This is what Betancourt has gone with when looking to convince us that Muscle Serum is better than the thousands of other proteins on the market. They're all basically the same when it comes down to it, with the differences being perceived quality, taste and lack of side effects. As such, lets see how Muscle Serum stacks up to the many others I've tried over the years.

One thing I do really like about Muscle Serum is that they break down the macros all the way to the exact amount of each protein you'll find in one scoop. They are as follows:

120 calories
      0g Fat
      2g Carbs
      25g Protein
      140mg Sodium

The protein is broken down further, with 9g coming from whey isolate, 8g from whey concentrate, 4g of milk concentrate, and 4g of micellar casein. Overall, we have a nice blend cooking with 17g "fast acting" and 8g "slow acting" proteins. I've started to like blended proteins more and more these days, and this is a nice split. It makes the protein versatile and useful in many different ways.

They also added 200mg of GABA, which I'm still not really sure what to make of. Don't think it affected me in any way so it's not worth more than just mentioning the fact that it's included. They also included a few digestive enzymes, which never hurts.

I had the Vanilla Cake Batter flavor, and it wasn't bad. Pretty typical vanilla flavor with a nice consistency. However, there was an odd off-flavor that I couldn't quite place my finger on. It was slightly metallic and bitter, so go crazy with the guesses on what that could be from because I'm not quite sure. Wasn't enough to make it terrible, but it wasn't enjoyable. I've had many proteins that tasted much better than this one.

8.5/10

Protein is protein is protein. Unless it stands out remarkably well in the taste department, they all start to blend together in my mind for the most part. As long as it doesn't cause a notable dropoff in what I expect in terms of recovery and it doesn't give me any stomach issues, then it gets a good grade from me. Muscle Serum was useful in many different ways, as I used this as a post-workout, a meal replacement and as part of other meals as well. They made for some pretty decent protein oats. Whenever I took it as a meal, it helped keep me full for a satisfactory period of time as well. Nothing outstanding, but a solid protein with a wide array of uses.

I hard a hard time even finding this for sale anywhere, but eventually did on the Vitamin Shoppe website where it's listed at $34.99. With 26 servings in a 2.07lb tub, this work out to $1.35 per scoop which is pretty darn expensive considering it's mainly concentrate. I would be able to overlook a high price tag for protein that tastes amazing, but this is not one of those cases, so I feel as if a 5 is more than appropriate here. Should be much closer to $1 per scoop in my opinion.

Side Effects

Overall

6.8/10

If this tasted better and were cheaper, it would be one of my go-to proteins. Alas, this is the reality we live in and I would pass on this in the future unless one or both of these factors changed. Too many great options in the flavor department that are of equal or higher quality than this to settle for mediocrity.

Overall
      Overall
      4.7
      4.5
      Thanks to Betancourt for sending it out!
        February 8, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
        • Certain Ingredients Underdosed
        It was good to see a company like Betancourt finally taking the plunge and deciding to participate here on the site. I'm sure we're mostly all familiar with Betancourt and their work. This time around, I gave their Androrush a try.

7.5/10

This was a decent looking product on paper. Touting its ability to help manage stress levels, boost strength and endurance and raise vitality (libido), here are the key ingredients:

600mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha
        500mg Agmatine
        300mg Long Jack
        250mg Coleus Forskohlii
        200mg DIM
        1mg Yohimbine

Ashwagandha is used to help re...

600mg KSM-66 Ashwagandha
        500mg Agmatine
        300mg Long Jack
        250mg Coleus Forskohlii
        200mg DIM
        1mg Yohimbine

Ashwagandha is used to help reduce stress levels. We all know about the benefits of our good friend Agmatine when it comes to pumps. The rest help support "vitality".

I find a majority of these ingredients to be below what is recommended daily along with my personal preferences as well. 500mg of Agmatine is low and the Yohimbine literally as well not even be in here at only 1mg. I think that's in there more for name recognition than anything else, which I don't support. Basically, Betancourt has included lots of good ingredients in suboptimal amounts for the most part. There are a few that seem ok, however. DIM should be dosed from 100-600mg from what I've read, and the Forskolin is right on the cusp as well with a minimum of 250mg recommended. Ashwagandha should be around 1200mg daily, so Betancourt has half of that. Overall, it's a mixed bag where the good outweighs the bad. But did it work? That's the real question.

Dosing was easy enough, with Betancourt recommending a 4-cap serving per day with or without food, leaving that up to the user. Never had a problem taking this every day and there was never any aftertaste or unpleasant burps. No complaints here.

4.5/10

In all honesty, if someone told me I had been taking sugar pills the whole time, I wouldn't be surprised. There were no strength gains or lean mass that I noticed. There was no additional energy or endurance. No extra pump from the Agmatine when it was taken close to pre-workout. If anything, I may have had a very tiny bit of a libido boost, but nowhere near the likes of some other products I've used before, such as Launch Sequence. Overall, there was barely a difference between me on Androrush and me not on Androrush. I'm still young, but I've tried enough products like this to know what works and what doesn't, and this was one that didn't. Shame, but they can't all be winners.

Fortunately for Betancourt, they've put together an affordable supplement here. This is currently available on TF Supplements for only $25, working out to less than a dollar a day for a months' run of Androrush. If you were looking to try something new, this wouldn't break the bank. However, based on the fact that it basically did next to nothing for me, a 5 is the highest I'm comfortable rating this at.

Side Effects

Overall

4.7/10

All things told, I wouldn't actively discourage anyone from trying this one out for themselves. However, this will go down as being extremely forgettable and I wouldn't know the difference if I had never tried it at all. Thanks again to Betancourt for sending this out for us to try.

9.2
        Thanks to LabTech Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
          February 2, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Clinically Dosed
        • Excellent Pump
        • Insane Ingredient Profile
        • No Proprietary Blends
        • Great Energy And Focus
        • Great Value
        • Tastes Bad
        I had heard a lot of hype surrounding Full Spectrum, so when it came around a second time, I was eager to jump on the opportunity and see exactly what all the talk was about.

9.5/10

If it gets better than this, I'd love to see it. This has basically everything you could ask for multiplied several times over. Some of the notable ingredients that caught my eye:

8g Citrulline Malate

350mg Caffeine
        50mg Dendrobium
        30mg Noopept
        20mg Syneprhine

And that's not even half of the total ingredients. This pre-workout is absolutely stacked.

Honestly, my only knock on this product was in this category as both the mixing and taste were pretty terrible. Lots of gritty sediment and the Sour Gummy flavor was incredibly chemical and unpleasant, despite the fact that I used nearly 36oz of water. I'd imagine it's very difficult to make a product taste good with such a large amount of ingredients, so I don't put too much stock into this.

9.2/10

Talk about one hell of an experience. From the first time to the last, Full Spectrum helped me have some of the best workouts I've ever had. Obviously the energy was great and I had some incredibly huge pumps, but the part I want to talk about the most is the focus that this gave me. Never before have I been so focused on my workouts.

This gave new definition to "in the zone" and it was a wonderful feeling to just get completely lost in what I was currently doing. This made it very easy to get in and do what I had to do. It's almost hard to describe until you experience it for yourself. It was like going into every workout incredibly pumped up. Truly unique.

8.5/10

Available for $50 on the LabTech website, this works out to $1.66 per serving. Considering that this is a one scooper and how incredibly effective it was, I think this is still a great value and wouldn't mind paying this type of price in today's market.

Side Effects

Overall

8.8/10

An amazing experience with a reasonable price puts Full Spectrum at the top of my list and makes it one that I would recommend everyone go out and try for themselves.

Thanks to Wildflower for sending it out!
          January 26, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Pleasant Aroma Vapor
        • Calming And Soothing Feel
        • Cool Looking Vape Pen
        • Helped Relieve Stress And Aches At Times
        • Not Refillable
        • Inconsistent
        I have to admit that I never thought I would ever be one to vape for as long as I lived...but then Wildflower came along here to SR. I passed over it at first, but eventually became increasingly curious about the blend of CBD and essential oils and the possible benefits they could provide. So, the second time these became available, they sat there going unclaimed and I decided I would have to give it a try for myself and see if there was anything to it.

As some of you may know, CBD is gaining a lot of traction in sports supplements, most notably with Tim Muriello's new "Chill and Grow" post workout gummies. I would not be surprised one bit to see many more companies include CBD in the future. For now, let's see how the Aches vaporizer fared.

This was easy: Just take a few hits from the pen when you feel you need relief from any pain or stress.

It does have a taste to it, but it wasn't unpleasant. Think of a mild mint flavor that burns the back of your throat slightly, but in that numbing sort of way that you'd get from mouthwash. It was actually pretty enjoyable to smoke.

6.3/10

I really struggled with this section in terms of deciding exactly if and how much this actually worked. I really wanted this to blow me away, but in reality, it had me shrugging my shoulders most of the time.

Some times, I would take a few hits and definitely feel more at ease and a little less sore as a result. However, I believe the act of smoking in general can be pretty good for stress relief so I took that with a grain of salt.

Other times, I would take a few hits and feel no relief at all.

Obviously, conventional thinking goes that the more you take in, the more effective it will be. However, there are only 150mg in each pen and each hit dispenses about 2mg of CBD, so you're limited in this sense. The pens are not refillable to my knowledge, so you would need to buy a new one to continue use. I think a larger pen capacity and higher dosage per hit would help here.

Again, tough decision for me here, but I went with a 5 in the end. $60 is a little steep for something that probably lasted me a little less than 30 days. Couple that with that fact that it was inconsistent and I would need to buy a whole new pen at full price rather than refill it at a lower cost and I don't think it's the product for me in terms of price. If I had money to toss around, is try it again to compare. However, as it stands now, I give it a 5.

Side Effects

Overall

----5.7-10----

I loved the idea of this product and CBD in general and would love to see future applications of it. However, I'm just not the biggest believer in this particular product. Thanks a lot to Wildflower for letting me try such a unique product.

Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
          January 23, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Definite Increase In Joint Health
        • Great Profile
        • Easy To Swallow
          Obviously, Joint Care Extreme comes from a company that certainly needs no introduction here. I suffer from chronic costochondritis in addition to the normal aches and pains from lifting, so I'm always interested in supplements that could potentially ease pain and take care of my cartilage and joints. I've had some success with other products in the past, so let's see how this stacks up to the others.

This has just about every popular joint care ingredient you could possibly think of. Some of the highlights in my opinion are:

1.5g of Glucosamine ...

1.5g of Glucosamine - An absolute staple in joint supps. Helps support healthy cartilage
          200mg Meriva Turmeric - Showed decreased joint pain and improved joint function in osteoarthritis patients over a 3 month study
          5mg Bioperine - Increased absorption of other ingredients

Overall, this ingredient profile is packed but these are the ones that stuck out most to me when I first saw it available.

4 caps per day, I took it with meals. Simple enough and had no issue with aftertaste. Not much to say here.

Now, I wasn't expecting this to alleviate my costochondritis, which it didn't. However, I did experience a very noticeable decrease in the paints in my joints, particularly in my elbows and shoulders, as well as my ankles. These are the spots that usually have those little tweaks in them, but Extreme Joint Care helped completely take care of them for the most part. At some points, I forgot I ever even had pain in some spots. There were days here and there where I felt the aches, but for the most part, this really helped bring everything down.

8.5/10

I found this for as low as $24 for 30 servings on Illpumpyouup. For a product that helped alleviate joint pains the way this did, I consider this a very good value. Wouldn't hesitate to grab this again.

Side Effects

Overall

8.2/10

Much to no one's surprise, Nutrabio has another winner here. Anyone looking for decreased joint pain shpuld definitely give this a try.