BlakePullen

MVRs

Votes Cast

Answers

*Rookie League

Comments

*Rookie League

First Bloods

Try Requests

*Rookie League

*Rookie League = only among other members in their first year on SR. BlakePullen will be eligible for rookie league trophies for another 113 days.

Reviews by BlakePullen

Overall
Thanks to Acropolis Nutrition for sending it out!
  May 14, 2018

• Fully Disclosed
  • High-quality Ingredients
  • Natural
  • Amazing Pump
  • Good Endurance
  • Could Be Slightly Cheaper

A pump chasers dream pre-workout at a fairly reasonable price for what you're getting.

What is going on guys? I've got another pre-workout review for you all today. To avoid any confusion, I'd like to reiterate what I said in my Total War review. I only used 1 serving of this product during my overlap with total war. I tried one serving then put it back in the cabinet until I could give it the one on one attention that this pre workout deserves! I claimed this product due to the impressive looking label and would like to thank everyone at SR and Acropolis Nutrition for making this review possible.

They have given us a fully disclosed label which will make this process so much easier. Here are some of the highlights:

7g of Citrulline Malate: This is every pump chasers dream. The clinical dose is listed at 6g so this product gives us that extra gram to hopefully push it over the top with some real skin shredding pumps.

500mg of Beet Root extract: This will also aid in the nitric oxide department, however, I do wish that there was a little bit more included.

300mg of L-Norvaline: esupplements.com describes norvaline as such- "norvaline works by inhibiting arginase, allowing you to achieve longer, stronger pumps that give more power and recovery ability. In fact, studies show L-norvaline can improve pumps up to 60%." Again I believe these effects would be even more noticeable in higher dosage.

3g of Beta Alanine: This can greatly increase your endurance during your workout. 3g sits right under the clinical dose of 3.2g. If you are not used to supplementing with Beta Alanine than 3g could possibly give you a tingly sensation on your face that make you feel like you can run through a wall. At least from my experiance, Beta Alanine helps add extra reps to my sets at the end of tiring workouts that I would not have been able to achieve otherwise.

2g of Betaine: This one is very underrated in my opinion. It can delay muscular fatigue and allow athletes to train harder, for longer.

2g of Creatine HCl: There are obvious benefits for strength training and overall bodybuilding style of training. Creatine saturation can also help in ATP and strength gains

1.5g of Taurine: It is known to help aid in blood flow and metabolism.

1.5g of Tyrosine: increases mental alertness and focus

300mg Purecaf coffee bean extract: So this is not your traditional caffeine supplement. I'm really hoping some of the qualities will be similar . I personally know nothing about this so here's a snippet about it from appliedfoods.com 'PurCaf organic caffeine is a powdered extractstandardized at 95% pure caffeine extracted from green coffee beans. PurCaf is non-GMO and one of the only GRAS caffeine sources in the industry today for safe use in beverages. While being highly water soluble, PurCaf organic caffeine is also clear in solution and has a neutral taste profile.'

450mg of Stevia Leaf extract: to enhance sweetness, (I'm low-key excited for this)

And to top it all off we have 3g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. This is something that I rarely see in pre workouts and wish that more companies did! Supplementation of BCAAs right before your workouts could be very beneficial (or at least a positive placebo effect for me personally). This profile is very solid. It specializes in a good pump but they add in a little bit of everything which I personally really like. I've got a feeling that this is more than just a one trick pony.

Taste: Berry Lemonade was one of the sweetest pre-workouts I have ever drank. If you don't like artificial sweeteners or a really sweet taste then this flavor is not for you. However, I loved every sip. The sweetness played a part in 'waking me up' and getting in the right mindset to battle the weights.

Mixibility: You gotta make an effort to get this stuff to mix all the way in. It wasn't anything problematic just slightly annoying that after the initial shaking, in between sips, you would probably need to shake it again to get some of the sediment to mix in. In the products defense, it does mention that on the side of the bottle that the powder ay settle at the bottom and to just keep shaking it as you drink it.

Dosage: They recommend that you take 1 serving 30 minutes before your workout and that's exactly what I did. I did try double scooping once and I do NOT recommend it. It was a very 'overpowering' sensation that made me feel worse rather than better. If you're not used to some of the higher dosages of ingredients then the manufacturer's also recommend that you start with half a scoop.

PUMP: This was the best part of this product by far. I've supplemented with citrulline malate for a long time so I'm used to the whole 'veiny pump' thing, but these pumps were on another level. I don't know if they stuck some magic fairy juice in there or what but I have never responded this well to a pump product before. Whatever muscle group I was targeting was laced with veins the ENTIRE workout and my whole drive home afterwards. I'm in the middle of a lean bulk so I'm more used to slowly losing sight of my veins/vascularity over time as I gain weight not seeing veins in my calves and quads that I don't remember seeing the day before. I felt absolutely juiced every single workout while taking this product. I can't say enough positive things about the wicked pumps I got every day.

Endurance: Surprisingly solid, not as heavenly as the pumps but it is clearly evident that the 3g of beta-alanine listed on the label is present. I got a slight tingle on the top of my ears (I'm used to beta-alanine so it usually takes around 4g to give me the normal face tingles) and I did not fatigue as quickly as I would expect myself too. This amounts to an extra exercise at the end of my regularly scheduled workout or an extra 2-4 sets. That may not sound like a lot, but it's music to my ears. You'll be able to smash your compound movements and still have some drive left in the tank to get some volume work in after.

Focus: Mild to standard by my experience. I've had products that gave me much better 'tunnel vision' and tis product was more like it kept me on track. I was focused on my sets but not 'obsessed' with every fine detail like some supplements can make you feel.

Energy: The organic coffee bean extract gave me just enough energy to jumpstart my workout but nothing crazy. I feel like 300mg of regular caffeine works a little bit better for my body and is slightly more effective.

After doing some digging, it appears that this product is only available on the manufacturer's website for $37.99 ($1.89 per serving). It isn't the best deal but for what you're getting I think that it is worth it, and when you compare it to other pre-workouts with clinical dosages it comes pretty close and competitive. My only knock is that this product could in theory become expensive if you were buying it every 20-25 days.

Side Effects

Tingles if not used to beta-alanine

Conclusion

This is a pump chasers dream with some other very good benefits that everyone can benefit from. The pump alone may be worth the price of admission.

Overall
Thanks to Mind Muscle Nutrition for sending it out!
  May 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Increased Pump
  • Increased Focus
  • Maintains Muscle
  • Transparent Label
  • Increased Recovery
  • Improved Endurance

Whatever you want to call it, a juggernaut BCAA product or just a really good Intra, this can upgrade your current stack. multiple benefits in pump, focus, decreased DOMs, and improved overall recovery.

What is going on guys? Before we get into the good stuff I would just like to reiterate what I said in my Platinum BCAA review. I used 4 servings of this product during the overlap with Platinum BCAA. Just wanted to give full disclosure. Now, this product caught my eye primary for its juggernaut of a label. I was really excited to give it a run and without further ado lets get down to business.

Here's some of the highlights:

240mcg of Vitamin B6: I mention this along with the other flashy ingredients because you're getting 32% of your daily value for B6 per serving and it can help aid in blood flow.

7g of BCAA: In a 2:1:1 ratio of Leucine to Valine to Isoleucine, this is a GREAT amount. The minimum dose in most similar products is 5g, so 7g is just icing on the cake and can really help with your recovery.

4g of Citrulline Malate: You don't usually see a pump product in a BCAA mix, but I love the addition. This falls right under the clinical dose of 6g and will absolutely contribute to your vascularity and perhaps help your body transport all the nutrients it's getting from this product faster.

2.5g of Glutamine: Well renown for its' recovery benefits this is another great addition. Taking glutamine on a daily basis can definitely help out your day to day recovery and maybe even allow you to perform better because of how you feel.

1g of Acetyl L Tyrosine: Improved focus and possible 'tunnel vision' feelings (at least for me)

1g of Threonine: used in the biosynthesis of proteins, mainly used in the absorption of protein, maintenance of muscle and important to good health

1g of Alpha-Ketoglutarate: another acid to help improve muscle function and aid in improving peak performance

1g of Lysine: This can help aid in the muscle rebulding process ( Not enough products include this one in my opnion).

Overall, this product has a very strong profile in terms of its label. The 7g of BCAAs set the product apart from other products in its' class and the combination of all the other ingredients make it a very nice intra-workout supplement. It gives you what you're looking for and more in a BCAA/intra supplement.

Taste: Blue Slush, very relatable to the blue raspberry slushy at Sonic. This was an easy 9/10 for me on the flavor scale. I'm not a fan of most 'red' flavors like fruit punch or strawberry, so I usually steer more towards the 'blue flavors' or other more tropical tastes. It was very refreshing to drink during my workouts and never got old to my taste buds.

Mixibility: I mixed this in a full shaker bottle and never had any problems with mixing. It dissolve right in every time with very minimal effort on my part.

Dosage: I took 1 scoop intra-workout everyday. You really wouldn't have any reason to use more than one scoop because of the well designed and executed label of ingredients.

DOMs: 7g of BCAAs, for whatever reason, leaves its' mark on me much more than 5g. My muscle soreness was very minimal while using this product and I hit the gym just as hard as I have every other month.

Pump: Very solid for an intra-workout product. My veins were definitely popping and pumping throughout the duration of my workout with no signs of going down until long after I left the gym. I could see them creeping up my foreman during my 15 minute ride home after I finished.

Focus: It wasn't tunnel vision, but it was an enhanced feeling of 'locking in' on that next set rep for rep. My mind wasn't wandering to what I had to do later in the day. I was completely focused on what I was doing at that very moment.

Overall Recovery: I believe this product allowed me to hit the gym harder the next day because my muscles didn't feel beaten down from the prior session. I added another flat bench day into my split to increase my training frequency and hopefully make improvements in that specific lift for me. That meant that my chest would have less rest time during the course of the week and the benefits of the BCAAs and other ingredients in this product kept me going. It allowed me to push myself even on short rest.

I googled for 10 minutes and was only able to find tis product on the mindmusclenutrition website for $40. This comes out to $1.33 per serving. That is more than I would usually pay for a product BUT those products do not have the ingredient profile that this does. When you compare this product to similar products with similar high dosages of quality ingredients you'll see that it's actually pretty competitively priced.

Side Effects

NONE

Conclusion

This is a high class product that can really help fuel your quest for gains. It's competitively priced and definitely worth it in my opinion.

Overall
(SR paid for product; PES did not participate)
  May 5, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase Due To Creatine And Betaine
  • Feel Refreshed Next Day
  • Needs More Glutamine For Added Recovery
  • Wish It Was A Little Cheaper

A great addition to a stack if you already have your basics covered! Also worth noting that I only got 29 scoops/servings out of this product and it says 30. I'd like to think that I'm pretty consistent in my scoops, but I can't be sure because I didn't weigh out each scoop.

What is going on guys? Just want to quickly address the overlap listed with another creatine monohydrate product. I only used 1 serving of this product during the overlap listed with the creatine monohydrate product to not skew my results with this product. This product caught my eye for one bold claim: "Ergonine is not a pre-workout, it is not a post-workout. It is a product that is in a new category of its own...the daily staple." I'd like to thank SR for making this review possible and without further ado lets dive right in shall we!

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (14g)
Servings Per Container: 30 Servings

Calcium (as -Hydroxyisocaproate Calcium Salt): 220mg
This is a nice boost of calcium especially if you aren't a big milk drinker.

Creatine Anhydrous (TruCreatineTM): 3,000mg
This creatine is considered more pure than any other type of creatine by PES. They say their creatine is 100% pure creatine while other types fall around 87-88% creatine. "Creatine anhydrous provides over 12% more creatine by weight than the former legend creatine monohydrate." They also claim that side effects like bloating are due to the amount of creatine taken and not specifically the type of creatine and for that reason they decided to use 3g of TruCreatine which is what they came up with as the best amount of creatine. I'm extremely interested in the perfect quality of '100% creatine'.

Betaine Anhydrous: 2,500mg
I've always thought that betaine was an undervalued supplement. It can help with strength gains and muscle gains. Here's what Jim Stoppani has to say about it in one of his articles, "Since this initial study, other researchers have found that betaine supplementation helped lifters complete more total reps in bench press workouts, pedal with more power in cycling workouts, and sprint for almost 40 seconds longer than subjects drinking just water. Like the similar-sounding beta-alanine, it has also been suggested to significantly lower levels of lactate, which can delay muscular fatigue and allow athletes to train harder, for longer."

SynerGlut Blend (L-Alanine, L-Glutamine): 2,500mg
They combine these two things together to increase recovery and by consuming L-glutamine with L-alanine, glutamine delivery to muscle tissue is increased.

L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate: 2,000mg
This can help aid in fat loss and in overall recovery.

Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid (as -Hydroxyisocaproate Calcium Salt): 1,500mg
(HICA) is the active metabolite of the amino acid leucine. Leucine is one of the building blocks for muscle building/ recovery.

PerformaLean Blend: 1,100mg Choline Bitartrate, Glycerol 65% (HydroMAX), Ferula Asafoetida (Root) Extract (95% Ferulic Acid)
The combination of these ingredients can aid in the fat loss process and overall performance.

Taste: Blue frost was a 8.5/10 on the flavor scale. It was extremely enjoyable to drink and had a refreshing simple taste. You'll enjoy it a lot if your a fan of blue sports drinks with a hint of blueberry.

Mixibility: 1 scoop mixed in with 8 ounces of water with no issues every time. I typically shook it for 15 seconds.

Dosage: The company recommends one serving per day for this 'daily staple supplement'. I took my serving 30-60 minutes before training as recommended and on non training days I took it upon waking in the morning.

This product appears to be trying to make a whole new category for itself 'the daily staple.' The most prominent evidence I had for this products effectiveness was in the strength department. Over the last few months I've been focusing more on strength training to couple with my usual hypertrophy/bodybuilding split. My diet and heavy training remained constant, but after I implemented this product I hit new PRs on my 5 rep bench max and my 3 rep max. Before you all start running to the store to get yours today I must note that I'm eating in a caloric surplus and am very consistent in my training. Would I have hit those PRs without this product? I'd like to think yes, however, I don't believe I would've hit them as quickly as I did compared to how long its taken me in the past to raise a flat bench PR by 5-10 pounds. I would contribute this to the creatine formulation in this product and the fact that its more pure may have something to do with it. This also could have something to do with the daily supplementation of Betaine. I've never consistently taken betaine before so maybe my body reacted positively to that. As far as recovery was concerned I felt 'refreshed' in the mornings but this product did not really effect my muscle soreness. Refreshed in this case meaning that I woke up and didn't feel like I got hit by a mack truck the night before. The fat loss applications were not applicable to me during this trial because my calories were over my caloric maintenance, and calories are the main drive for fat loss.

This can be found for $24.99 at EliteNutrition.com and that comes out to about 83 cents per serving. For what you are getting I like the price, but I don't love the price. For similar results, you could buy monohydrate in bulk for much cheaper and supplement betaine with it on its own. But for the convenience of having everything blended together 83 cents per serving is not a bad price point.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This was a very interesting product that separated itself from similar supplements by trying to make a new category. I liked the way this product worked and enjoyed my trial with this product. While it is not the 'best thing ever' it is something to consider adding to your permanent stack.

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  April 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Crazy Pumps
  • Tunnel Vision
  • Endurance Boost
  • Taste Gets Bland After A While

What is going on guys? Hope everyone is having a great day because I have a pre-workout review for you today. Let me address the overlap with Pre historic and Steel Pump. I used 2 servings of this product during the overlap with Steel pump and I have only used 1 serving of Pre historic during this trial run. Even though there appears to be a large overlap with Pre Historic that review will be coming very late (my apologies for my own stupidity) because I have only used one serving of the product. Just wanted to say that to clear up any confusion and reiterate that I've used this product in its entirety! Let's dive right in shall we!

Some of the highlights:

6g of Citrulline Malate: A clinical dose of straight PUMPS! This will improve your vascularity and help you achieve that skin shredding pump that makes you feel like a beast walking around the gym.

3.2g of Beta Alanine: Another clinical dose. This one is all about endurance and getting the most out of every rep/set. Beta-alanine can lengthen the duration of your workouts and help you get the most out of them by cramming extra reps at the end of a long workout. This,in turn, can help you produce more gains!

1g of Agmatine Sulfate: A great partner to Citrulline malate, this will add to your pumps and boost nitric oxide levels

1g of Taurine: May help aid in fat metabolism and aid in muscle contraction. On its own, 1g may be a little low

250mg of Caffeine Anhydrous: Usually a good slap in the face, especially to people that are sensitive to stims. This is where your 'energy rush' would most likely come from

200mg Eric Jarensis Extract: Many people are touting it as 'the next DMAA/DMHA.' It's an exotic stim that can optimize mood by increasing dopamine and noradrenaline in the body. It is said to also increase focus, alertness, and concentration levels. BUT wait there's more! It can also benefit you with as a fat burner/appetite suppressant.

100mg of Di-Caffeine Malate: if the 250mg of anhydrous wasn't enough for you they've added another 100mg of caffeine here. This is now a heavy stimulant product.

50mg of Yohimbe HCl: Can aid in fat loss/ weight loss

The label is very good just off of looks. A lot of quality ingredients and many of them at clinical doses. There's also a good amount of stimulants to turn even the everyday gym bro into a powerlifting juggernaut (or at least think they're one).

Taste: Sour Gummy Bear was very unique. There was a slightly sour vibe to it but it was quickly followed by a sweet mixture kind of like a sweet tart candy. It was good, however, it was a lot more enjoyable the first half of the tub than the latter half. Rate: 6.5/10 only because the flavor gets old the further into the tub you go.

Mixibility: Perfect mixing every time. I used 8 ounces of water in a classic blender bottle and gave it a good 10-15 second shake.

Dosage: 1 scoop 15 minutes before my first warm up set was my sweet spot with this product.

Pumps: Skin shredding is exactly the phrase I would use. The vascularity would be evident 10-15 mins after consuming and would really pop after your first warm up set. It may be the combination of citrulline malate and agmatine sulfate, but whatever it was it was very effective for me. These tree roots that sprout from your arms made me feel even more vascular than some pump specific pre workouts out there! I also feel like increased vascularity helps play a role in delivering all the nutrients to your muscles at a faster rate. This may not hold any truth to it but at the very least there's a placebo effect for me.

Energy: If you are sensitive to caffeine I would exercise caution when using this product. The hefty amount in this product was more than enough to give me a jumpstart to my workout even if I walked in feeling dead tired. This was a smooth energy as well, as I never 'crashed' later in the day like some energy drinks can make you do.

Endurance: I felt almost indestructible for the duration of workouts. I could keep pushing and pushing myself until I literally had nothing left in the tank. I usually start my workouts with a heavy compound movement or two where i really push myself to move the weight like a powerlifter and then I follow it up with loads of volume and slow muscle tearing reps like a bodybuilder. You can imagine after heavy triples or doubles on bench that four sets of 12 at a moderate weight can seem daunting, BUT this stuff pushed me to not only achieve my planned sets/reps but even in some cases surpass them and squeeze out an extra rep or two at the end. I truly maximized my workouts with this product.

Focus: This was my favorite part of this product. For the first time in a while i felt like i had tunnel vision. I was extremely focused on every rep, set, and exercise I did. I was in that zone where my face pretty much said, 'don't talk to me because I can only see weights and count reps right now.' It was a super cool feeling that aided me in getting the most out of every rep by working harder to perfect form and really make the most out of my time in the gym.

You can get this product on Day1Nutrition's website for $24.99 in the blue raspberry flavor. The other flavors all currently cost more money. That comes out to 83 cents per serving and to me that's a steal for this product. Some of my friends pay $25-$30 for the underdosed c4 original. For what it does and it helps you achieve your results I think this is a GREAT value at this price.

Side Effects

No negatives

Conclusion

This is an upper tier pre workout that I would highly recommend to experienced pre workout users. If you're a newbie you probably want to start out at half a scoop or get your tolerance up.

April 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean
  • Convenient
  • Versatile
  • Too Expensive Compared To Basic Oats

What is going on guys? I've got a thick, hearty review for you today and it's Oatmeal. I've eaten oatmeal on a daily basis for years so I thought why not give MyProtein's take on the classic meal a try.

It's a really simple ingredient list: Ground Oats, and Flavoring Sweetener (Sucralose, flavored options only). I got the vanilla flavor so the added ingredient would be some sort of vanilla sweetener. The macronutrients are,in my opinion, what sets this product apart from your everyday oatmeal.

Serving Size: 2 and 1/3 large scoops (100g)
A...

Serving Size: 2 and 1/3 large scoops (100g)
A 5.5 pound bag has 25 servings in it. As you can imagine these are HEARTY servings.

Calories: 390
Fat: 8g
Carbs: 68g
Fiber: 10g
Sugar: .5g
Protein: 13g

If you are doing any sort of bulking then these are dreamy macros to see. A lot of people say they can't gain weight and that's usually due to not eating enough. Start your day off with 68g of carbs with only HALF a gram of that being sugar!! It's a very easy carb source with a good amount of fiber and a little protein in it as well. If you are cutting I think you could make it work I just know that for me personally in like to save most of my carbs for later in the day when I'm reallllly getting hungry. This is a pretty straight forward product being 'instant oats' and the ingredient label matches that.

Taste: Vanilla, On its own, this product is pretty bland. I didn't really get much of a vanilla taste at all just the familiar taste of plain oats. It's probably a 5/10 in the taste department for me. Now, when you add in some sugar-free syrup or honey and mix it all up this stuff tastes great but the product by itself does not bring much in the flavor department.

Mixibility: For the purpose of this review I tried mixing one serving in a blender bottle. All i can say is don't try it lol. It obviously barely mixed at all (oatmeal doesn't really mix like a pre-workout) and I would highly recommend using a blender to add it to smoothies. The blender mixes everything up with no problems whatsoever.

Dosage: I would mix 1 serving every morning with a bowl of fruit, water and some honey in the microwave or I would add it to a protein shake in the blender with some whey and milk. If you like your shakes a little runny add more milk as needed, but if you like it thicker then pace yourself and start off with just a little milk.

Regardless how I consumed the product, I was full for at least 2 hours every time. This stuff is heavy and it will stick around in your system. This was great for me because on days where I had to go into the office early I didn't have to bust open a protein bar an hour after my 'breakfast' because I was hungry again like I usually would.
Instant oats are like any other food though, I'm consuming it for the macronutrient benefits. It gave me easy carbs to start off everyday and helped me get a jumpstart on my daily fiber intake.

You can only get this through the MyProtein website to my knowledge and for some weird reason, you can only purchase the 2.2 pound bag right now for $13. That's $13 for 10 servings. For me personally, I'm going to give this value a 6 because you can buy regular oats in bulk for far cheaper, however, you'd have to use multiple servings in order to achieve the same macronutrient benefits as this product offers. So I can see why it could be justified in some cases, but just not in my case lol.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're on a bulk and need easy carbs then this is a great way to start off your day. (If you like oatmeal) but even if you don't you could try mixing them into a shake. the value knocks down the overall rating just a little, but hopefully they'll restock the bigger sizes so you can get more bang for your buck.

Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  April 22, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean Profile
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Mixes Well
  • No Side Effects

What is going on guys? I've got a protein review for you all today from the very well known NutraBio. I claimed this product due to the high respect and positive feedback that the TROOPers program has provided on almost all of their products. I'd like to thank NutraBio and SR for making this review possible and let's dive right in!

*FULLY DISCLOSED LABEL*

*FULLY DISCLOSED LABEL*
    When you've got nothing to hide its got to be a great feeling to be able to show all your potential buyers EXACTLY what is in the product they are purchasing. There are no fillers, additives, or unwanted elements in this product. They even prompt you to go to checkmysupps.com to verify that they are giving you accurate information, which is a rarity in this industry.

1 serving: 33.96 grams
    Protein: 25g
    Calcium: 158mg
    Phosphorous: 106mg
    Magnesium: 24mgSodium: 117mgPotassium: 187mg

Overall, the label for this whey protein is very versatile and can fit into almost anybody's diet plan whether it be a bulk, maintenance, or a cut. 130 calories is almost the perfect amount to fit into anyone's calorie budget for the day. 24g of protein is right in the optimal window (20-25 grams) that I look for in a post-workout protein shake. The fat and carbs are VERY low which is a big reason that I really like this label. I've seen too many protein powders that have a good amount of protein in them but then have all this extra crap in them that spikes the carbs and fat way up! When I want a protein shake that's what I'm looking for, not a 'fat shake' or a 'carb shake'. The stats look very good in this fully disclosed, 'no BS just business', label.

Taste: Cookies and Cream, This was easily one of the best tasting protein powders I've used in a long time. I'm a big fan of vanilla/oreo flavors in general so this was perfect for me. The flavor wasn't too faint like a lot of powders are. It was very prominent and refreshing.

Mixibility: I used 8 ounces of water in a standard shaker bottle and never experienced any issues. I would usually give it a good 15-20 second shake and that would avoid any unwanted powder residue in the bottle.

Dosage: I took 1-2 scoops immediately post workout depending on how many calories i had already eaten that day. I'm currently in a lean bulk so any macro-friendly protein I can find is always utilized.

Protein powders can always be hard to judge for effectiveness.
    Did I gain muscle while using this product? Yes, I believe that gaining muscle is directly correlated to your nutrition (meeting all of your macronutrient requirements) and a constant training regimen. With that being said, I do put some value in 'macro timing' meaning that having that convenient protein immediately post workout to help my body get a jumpstart on rebuilding that muscle tissue. Again, I think meeting your total protein recommendation every day is much more important and impactful than timing when you take your protein, but hey it doesn't hurt right?

Did I experience any gastrointestinal issues? I didn't experience any stomach problems or gas problems while using this product. It went down smooth every time and that was the end of it!

The cheapest price on the internet right now is $26.95 on illpumpyouup.com
    This comes out to almost exactly $1 per serving. I would even be willing to pay a little more for this product because of the label and quality ingredients. No complaints here.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great protein powder for anyone to use and the fully disclosed label is hard to beat!

April 20, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Delicious
    • Can Serve As A Filling Meal
    • No Stomach Issues

What is going on guys? I've got a tasty protein snack review for you all today. I actually ordered these because of the positive feedback from other gym goers and the respect I have for the Universal Nutrition brand. Let's dive right in.

One bar is 350 calories:

One bar is 350 calories:
      This bar is not for the faint of heart. I would almost call it a meal replacement bar because of the caloric total. If you are on a cut you can always make anything fit into your macros, however you may end up with way less total volume of food ingested for the day than if you ate say another 'mini meal' of 350 calories. Lucky for me I am currently in a caloric surplus so adding one bar to my daily macros wouldn't hinder me from eating my other planned meals at all.

12g Fat (5g saturated): This macronutrient stat alone limited me to only eating one of these babies per day. It's not horribly high by any means, but it was enough to sway me from eating multiple bars a day to maintain my macros (and stay under my daily fat total).

39g Carbs: This amount would defiantly 'refuel you' before a workout or after a workout. Once again I go back to the person cutting metaphor. If your only eating 200g of carbs per day than this bar would be almost 20% of that total and at least for me bars are far less volume and filling than 40 carbs of 'real food'.

25g Protein: Equivalent to most protein shakes, this is a great amount of protein to consume on the go.

What's it made of??
      Peanut butter, honey, brown rice syrup, milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk chocolate coating (sugar, palm kernel oil, nonfat dry milk, cocoa powder, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], and salt), whey protein crisp (whey protein concentrate, corn starch, cocoa processed with alkali), inulin, chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], and vanilla), rolled oats, cocoa, almonds, peanuts, natural and artificial vanilla and chocolate flavors, peanut flour, sea salt, potassium sorbate.

Does anyone else's mouth drool after the first two ingredients? Peanut butter and honey are an absolute heavenly combination. The types of protein in here are whey protein concentrate and milk protein isolates. I like seeing both types in a bar because maybe my particular body responds a little quicker in absorbing one than the other. Then the rest of the ingredients are like your baking a cake! lol chocolate chips, almonds, whey protein crisp (whey protein concentration corn starch, and cocoa), milk chocolate coating and other tasty ingredients.

I like the label overall. If I was really counting my calories and in a major deficit I probably wouldn't use my macros on a heavy bar like this simply because it uses up a lot of what you have to work with later. BUT it's absolutely possible to fit it into your macros on any plan of course. I think this bar is best suited for people in a calculated caloric surplus. The ingredients list literally made my mouth drool, because it was chalk full of tasty sounding foods.

Taste: Double chocolate brownie
      This thing lives up to the hype I felt after reading the label. If you like chocolate this is THE chocolate bar for the fitness enthusiast. I am a huge vanilla flavor guy in general, but even I fell hard for this chocolate bar. It's a thick yet softer texture that I really loved. The flavor is as close to perfect as you could make it (and it should be with 25g of sugar in it). It was a very potent and in your face kind of flavor.

Mix: Not applicable

Dosage: I ate one bar whenever I was hungry, typically between my lunch and dinner about 2-3 hours before I'd be in the gym.

For protein bars, my main concern is always did it make me feel full after? Did it satisfy me? This bar actually left me feeling full for at least an hour after I ate it. That's more than I can say for the vast majority of protein bars that I've ever tried. This is probably due to the fact that this is a denser bar with more calories than I'm used to. I never had any stomach issues or unsettling gas in my trial with these bars. They were super convenient to keep in my gym bag, or my car to have a nice chunk of calories whenever I needed it.

$23.49 on bodybuilding.com for 12 of these delicious guys. That's where I ordered mine from and they averaged out to just under $2 per bar. That is MORE than competitive in the protein bar industry and this bar actually tastes good/ does the job that It's supposed to. You can now find the bars even cheaper on Illpumpyouup.com for just under $22.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you have the flexible calories to play with then this is gonna be your favorite protein bar. It's filling, it's delicious, and leaves you feeling satisfied. What more could you want?

April 16, 2018

• High Caffeine Content
      • Smooth Energy
      • Tastes Great
      • Better Than An Energy Drink
      • Prop Blend

What is going on guys? This review is for all my fellow caffeine heads out there as I'm about to review a popular energy drink. Two of my buddies swear by these things and drink them before every workout so I finally pulled out my wallet and bought a 12 pack on a1supplements. Let's dive right in!

There's only one thing that we can know for certain after looking at the label: there's 357mg of caffeine in this product as stated on A1supplements. The can contain's a laundry list of ingredients within a prop blend so there's really no telling how much of each individual ingredient you are actually getting. Some of the highlights besides caffeine are the muscle building amino acids leucine, Isoleucine, and valine and Covalex, a creatine glutamine complex. The extra components of the label relate this product more to a pre-workout than to your traditional energy drink (or a 'super energy drink'). And I only drink 'diet/zero calorie' drinks so the sugar-free option was a huge plus for me.

Serving Size 1 Can
      Niacin 25%
      Vitamin B12 25%
      Vitamin B6 25%
      Magnesium 2%
      Other Ingredients: Carbonated water, citric acid anhydrous, natural and artificial flavors, caffeine anhydrous, sodium benzoate (preserves freshness), potassium citrate monohydrate, Sucralean brand sucralose, L-leucine, potassium phosphate dibasic, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), calcium chloride, acesulfame potassium, potassium sorbate (preserves freshness), calcium disodium EDTA, magnesium chloride, L-isoleucine, L-valine, Covalex (covalently bonded creatine glutamine complex) vitamin B3 (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), and vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin).

Taste: Black Cherry Vanilla was VERY GOOD. It was a very smooth beverage that didn't sting going down. It reminded me of a vanilla coke or Dr. Pepper in a way. I loved the flavor and had to stop my self from drinking more than 1 can a day.

Mixibility/Dosage: I drank one can a day whenever I needed a 'pick me up' of energy.

This stuff literally BANGS. The energy boost was quite evident within 20-30 minutes after drinking it. I'd like to think that I have a pretty high caffeine tolerance being a heavy coffee drinker and this stuff always at least got me moving. I would be cautious in watching your daily caffeine intake with this product if you are sensitive to caffeine because 357mg in one product is more than most pre-workouts carry. I also noticed a mental-boost of sorts after consuming the product. It wasn't quite tunnel vision but rather more mental alertness and steady focus. I did not experience any unwanted crashing later in the day most likely due to the fact that there was no sugar in this product. I also didn't really feel anything from the added BCAA and creatine- glutamine complex's. This leads me to believe that their doses are small because they don't add any significant change. The main thing I look for in an energy drink is ENERGY though and that's exactly what I got from BANG.

I purchased mine for $25 on a1supplements.com ($2.08 per can) but it looks like you can find them for $22.35 on NutraHelathSupply.com and $21.51 on Amazon. That's pretty competitive for the energy drink industry and I would pick this product over a monster or red bull any day.

Side Effects

No crash!

Conclusion

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking for a zero calorie caffeine boost to get them through a work day or a workout.

Overall
      (SR paid for product; MuscleTech did not participate)
        April 15, 2018

Cons:

What is going on guys? I got drawn to this product truthfully because of the muscle tech name. It's one of the more recognizable names in the supplement industry (many of my non-lifter friends can identify that). It's got shiny packaging and a cool name so of course I wanted to try it. Before I get in I would just like to point out the overlap I have with another intra/BCAA product "Hydra Focus." I have only used 4 servings of Hydra Focus during the time frame that I've been using platinum BCAA, so that I would not skew my results. I'd like to thank SR for making this review possible and let's dive right in!

1 pill contains:
        8:1:1 Ratio of leucine to valine to isoleucine
        800mg Leucine
        100mg Isoleucine
        100mg Valine

This ratio strays from the common 2:1:1 that most BCAA products consist of. The website says they do this to load your muscles with high doses of leucine with every serving. They also recommend using 5 servings a day for optimal results so that you get 4g of Leucine (WOW) and 500mg each of isoleucine/Valine. "Research suggests that leucine is the BCAA with the highest anabolic potential, as it activates protein synthesis within the muscle through the mTOR pathway. Every serving of Platinum BCAA 8:1:1 ensures that your muscles are primed for musclebuilding." That was pulled straight from their product description. The research makes sense, if leucine is the primary muscle builder then why not load the muscles up with it? I'm very intrigued by the label because I've never used a product with a ratio quite like this.

The product is in pill form so taste/ mixability are not required.
        The dosage was recommended at 5 servings per day (5 pills) for optimal results. I look at BCAA products that just consist if the 'big three' moe like additional macronutrients/ fuel to spare my muscles from being broken down on a cut. On training days I would take this before training with my pre-workout supplement and on non-training days I would take my servings immediately upon waking to break the intermediate fasting that my body has undergone while I slept. I think BCAAs are great products if they're used correctly, and probably most effectively when you are in a caloric deficit or not quite meeting all of your protein needs. They can still be useful to a person in a caloric surplus though because they are high quality protein units that will help rebuild muscle.

The results I had with the 8:1:1 ratio of leucine to isoleucine to valine were very interesting to me. Traditional BCAA supplements hang their hat on reducing DOMs (degrees of muscle soreness). For whatever reason, I did not experience a big decrease in muscle soreness. It helped a little bit, but I'd say it worked less for me than the traditional 5g of 2:1:1 BCAAs would. Maybe it was the lower amounts of isoleucine and valine, but whatever it was it just didn't feel the same to me. On the contrary, I felt like I added more mass with this product than with other BCAA products in the past. I believe this is due to the higher concentration of leucine. I only say this because my weight increased more than I have been recently and my macronutrient/calorie numbers have not changed. I'm still in the same caloric surplus or 'lean bulk' if you want to call it so I gain about 1.5-2 pounds per month of mostly lean mass (hopefully) as my body fat is still pretty low. What was interesting about my trial with this product is I gained closer to the 2.5-3 pound range. My diet hadn't changed at all besides the higher introduction of leucine in this product. I can't say for certain that this product is the reason why I gained more mass, but the information I have would lead me to believe that it played a role in it.

The cheapest I could find this product for was $19.99 on netrition.com
        For 200 servings that's a crazy deal at 10 cents per serving. However, for 'optimal results' they recommend using 5 servings a day which brings it to about 50 cents per day. I think it's a pretty good deal either way you spin it. I would recommend following their recommendations though if you wish to achieve any of the claims that they make on the website or on the product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is an interesting ratio of BCAAs that I was not accustomed to. I think If I was concerned with muscle soreness i would revert back to the traditional 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs, but if my only goal was gaining muscle I would definitely take a hard look at this product again.

Overall
        (SR paid for product; Optimum did not participate)
          April 13, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Endurance Boost
        • Get More Out Of Your Workouts

What is going on guys? Just want to make a note that there was another overlap with a beta-alanine product, BUT my run with that particular product ended March 11th which gave me more than enough time to fairly use this product and give honest feedback. Now, the tingly sensation that every newbie feels when they take their first supplement containing beta-alanine is an unforgettable one. I LOVE this sensation and all the other great things that beta-alanine can do for the everyday 'gym bro.'As always, I'd like to thank Clipper and SR for making this review possible. Let's dive right in!

1 serving = 1.6g of beta-alanine
          55mg Potassium
          15mg Magnesium
          20mg Sodium
          70mg Phosphorous
          550mg Histidine

Other ingredients: silicon dioxide, malic acid, natural & artificial flavors, silicon dioxide, citric acid, beet powder, tartaric acid, sucralose, yellow #5 & 6

Company statement: *Our Threshold formula is designed to help boost your intramuscular buffering system so that you can train harder, longer.*
          Their addition of things like histidine and other phosphates are placed in this supplement to help keep hydrogen ion levels low because, in theory, as hydrogen ions are produced within the muscles fatigue levels increase. One of the possible causes of fatigue is due to the fact that acidity levels in the muscles are increasing. Beta-alanine is renown for its endurance benefits in the fitness industry and it's unique ability to help you resist fatigue.

Taste: This is an unflavored powder that will give you a bitter aftertaste if you do not mix it in with some other flavor to mask it. I would highly recommend mixing it with something else because the taste is very unpleasant.

Mixibility: It mixes into 8 ounces of water very easily with a few good shakes of a blender bottle. I never hd any issues mixing this product.

Dosage: I used more than 40 servings before reviewing this product. The clinical dose of beta-alanine is 3.2g, so I took two (1.6g) servings of this product every day. I found this to be the best formula for success because at least for me personally any dose greater than 4g can cause some unpleasant side effects like lightheadedness and excessive sweating from a minimal work load.

I'm sure you've seen this on the front of a supplement before, "Fight Fatigue and Train Harder and Longer!" This is the trademark slogan for beta-alanine. The endurance juggernaut of the supplement world has been praised for its ability to help athletes get the most out of their workouts. Optimum Nutrition's beta alanine is no exception. The powder allowed me to cram more sets into my workout and scrape up a few extra reps after my scheduled 'written out' workout plan was finished. How does this work? To function effectively, muscle cells rely on the powerful intracellular buffer carnosine to avoid becoming acidic (low pH) during exercise. Beta-alanine increases this 'buffer' and allows you to fight off the acidity increase for a little bit longer than you normally could. For example, this may allow you to turn a set of 8 into a set of 9 or 10 at the end of your workout. More work = more time under tension = more gains!! This is an extremely underrated supplement that more people should use on a daily basis. DISCLAIMER: If you have never used beta-alanine on a daily basis then I would highly recommend that you start with 1 serving or even half a serving to properly assess your tolerance. This product is known for the 'tingly side effect' that can be on your face, arms, or body after ingesting. A lot of people do not like this sensation, so I would just encourage any new users to start slow.

This goes for $18.23 on SupplementGeeks.com which comes out to about 25 cents per serving or 50 cents for two servings ( a clinical dose). This is a good price for what you are getting. Yes, there are similar products that are cheaper, however, this product adds in a few extra ingredients that give it a slight edge in my opinion.

Side Effects

Tingly sensation if you are not accustomed to beta-alanine

Conclusion

I'm a big believer in beta-alanine and I am a fan of Optimum's version of the supplement. I have a lot of respect for the company and I knew from the beginning that I was getting some high quality stuff. Have a great day guys (and gals).