Proton 7 Reviews

By: Universal

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Blended Protein
Proton 7 is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Universal. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Mixability
  • Solid Meal Replacement
  • Trans Fats In Label
  • Corn Syrup In Label
A big thank you to Tom and Petey for the opportunity to try out this protein. Much appreciated. This is one of Universals newer proteins/mrp/blends. Initially I really enjoyed it, but looking at the label made me mad. More in the review.

Taste-10/10- This is really the shining part of proton 7. It tastes great. One of the better, if not the best, chocolate tasting proteins I've ever had. It is solid all the way around.

Mixability-9/10- For a blended protein, it actually mixed pretty well. No clumps or anything major like that. It was a thicker shake, as most blends and mrp are. So if you don't like a thicker protein, don't go with this.

Ingredients-6/10- This is for me, the biggest downfall of this product. I love Universal/Animal a lot. Their products are solid all of the way around. They have been in the game for some 30 years. With that being said, they should know better than to put trans fats and corn syrup solids in protein. Major gripe. I'm sorry, but I don't want that crap in my protein powder. Ever. I don't care how good it makes my protein taste. I was happy to see they didn't use any creamers as many blends do, but was really let down when I stumbled on corn syrup solids, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Big let down with both of those ingredients. They do not need to be in protein powders. You guys have been around long enough and you should know better.

With those things being said though, as a MRP and a blended protein I feel its really solid. It has seven types of protein, hence the name proton 7. Those proteins are ultra filtrated whey concentrate (milk), milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, whey protein hydrolysate, whey protein isolate, egg albumen. Overall really solid. It also has fiber, which any good MRP should to help keep you full. And the carb content isn't to bad. Looking at 10g per scoop. So the actual blend itself isn't bad. Just gripes with the other poo they put in here.

Effectiveness-8/10- I feel like this was effective in regards as using it as a MRP. I would take two scoops and not be hungry for an hour/two hours. So I feel its pretty solid in that area. Recovery and things of that nature are hard to judge with protein powders, or at least I think so. I didn't experience any upset stomach or nasty farts. So its safe to say protein digested fairly well. Overall I feel it gets a solid 8 in this department.

Value-6/10- I actually feel the value isn't bad on this, and competes fairly well with other protein blends as far as price goes. For a 5lb tub your looking at 49.99 for 52 servings. Pretty on point with most blended proteins. Why I'm giving the value a knock is because I feel there are more quality proteins, with less processed garbage in them that you can spend your money on. Again, trans fats and corn syrup solids don't need to be in a protein powder. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Overall-7/10- I feel like Universal has a solid concept. I feel if they could change some things on the label, it would really make this a much better product. But with all the given research about trans fats and how bad they are, why even put them in a protein powder marketed toward people trying to be healthy? I know for some of you, you may not think twice about those things being in there, and if it tastes good thats all that matters. But for me, I feel like you can spend your money on cleaner products, and overall get a better protein. Have a good one sr.

April 16, 2013

Are you sure there's trans fat in proton 7 my jar says 0.

• Jpotter21
    April 16, 2013

If its not a full gram, they don't have to put them on the label. partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is a trans fat. Thats clearly on the labels.

Because its only considered a trace amount, Universal can say there are no trans fats in the product. Its a minor gripe. I Just don't want them in my protein powder.

April 16, 2013

Just asking ill do better research next time

• Jpotter21
    April 16, 2013

All good man. Lol. I didn't mean that to come off wrong if it did. I didn't realize that either until Petey pointed it out in a review.

Basically if its under a gram, meaning it could be 999mg of actual trans fats, a company can label it as having no trans fats because its not a full gram. Crazy.

April 16, 2013

Yea I won't be buying it again either I'm gonna stick to mts whey or recover d