Lava Reviews

By: Universal

Creatine > Blends
Lava is a Creatine Blend manufactured by Universal. It features multiple forms of creatines to take advantage of the various features of the different creatines. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Carb Source
  • 5 Grams Of Creatine
  • Great Recovery
  • Strange Taste
  • Wish It Had More Servings
Universal makes yet again another great product. This turned out to be one of the best post workout creations that I have had the pleasure to drink. Lava did not and would not let me down, and in turn I gave it my all through each workout just to feel the effectiveness of a truly great recovery drink. While I was mainly an Aftershock junkie, this changed my mind. I used this on a bulk and ran it with:
Animal Pak

Creatine Monohydrate 5.5g **
Glutamine(As L-Glutamine) 2.5g **
Taurine(As L-Taurine) 1.2g **
Chromium Chloride 75mcg

It also contains: Ultra And Microfiltered Whey Protein (Milk), (Containing Peptide-Rich Lactoglobulins, Lactalbumin, Immunoglobulins, And Lactoferrin), GlycoCarb Complex (Dextrose, And Glucose Polymers), Maltodextrin, Disodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Fruit Flavor, Lecithin (Soy), Citric Acid, Aspartame, Carmine

--When I first saw this on bb.com, I was surprised that there were not that many reviews on a supplement from a well-known company such as Universal. So I did some research on people's reviews and most said that they loved the product and had great gains while on it. Then I looked at the ingredient profile and was pumped to see everything that they had included in Lava. First it had a good amount of calories for replenishing after a workout. I then saw that they had used gycocarb as the carb source and knew that that was a great mixture with Dextrose and glucose , and with 32g that is great for refueling and keeping your muscles pumped. After that I noted that they did put a creatine in good ole monohydrate. While most of the size gained would be from water weight and it is not the best creatine out, I have always had good results with monohydrate. Finally the protein, which comes from ultra, and micro, filtered whey protein from a milk source. Not the best protein but better than anything I could have asked for in the combination that they had already included.

-Mixability/Texture: 7/10
I would put 2 scoops of lava in my shaker cup and head to the gym. After a workout I would mix it with just water and did notice some mixability issues in that there was some clumping on the sides of the shaker. Also some of the clumps would get caught in the filter screen in the shaker, which got kind of annoying but I made due.

-Taste: 6.5/10
I got the Orange slush flavor, which as it turns out is the only flavor available. The first thing I noticed when drinking this is it tasted nothing like orange slush. It tasted more like bubblegum than anything. Almost like a bubblicious hybrid of sorts, with a cotton candy/orange flavor. Weird?

-Effectiveness: 9/10
This is where Universal hit a home run. I ran two tubs of Lava and halfway through the first tub my strength went through the roof. I also noticed a size increase in my muscle definition and tone. Yes most of it was water weight due to the monohydrate, but they put 22g of sugar in lava so it is more effectively absorbed and utilized. Also, I did not have a bloat while on this.The carbs also kept me satisfied until my post workout meal, 45 min later.

-Value: 7/10
I first bought the 2.7lb of lava for $24 from bb.com. Which calls for 2.5 scoops pw. I dosed it at 2 scoops and did not see any problem. It lasted me a little over 3 weeks so value is about as great as aftershock, although Lava is a little bit cheaper. The second tub I purchased was the 1.8lb and that was from AllStarHealth for $13. The reason I bought the smaller version this time around, is because I was almost to the point where I would be off stimulants for a month and a half. This has about 10 serving and lasted me about 2 ½ weeks.

-Overall: 8.5/10
This is a great product that more people should know about. It is now a staple in my stack and while it is hard for me to give up aftershock or 2:1:1 recovery for a while, the gains I have seen while on this remain unmatched. While the taste did make it falter some, I realize that effectiveness outweighs taste by a mile. So in conclusion if you want and alternative to aftershock try out this and you should see great results. Pick up some Lava today and melt your mind!!

-Moose

• Owen3106
    July 2, 2011

how does this compare to Universals Torrent?

July 2, 2011

@ Owen I have never had torrent it is on my to do list, however this is right up there with aftershock. It is a little cheaper than aftershock but does not contain a joint complex. Give it a try it worked great

• kingmeat
    July 2, 2011

Good review not a fan of aspartame though if they would keep that out I would give it a try

• deumcole
    July 2, 2011

Nice catch-phrase, haha. You should try & sell it too Universal.

Good review, +reps

July 2, 2011

@king yea i saw that to and that is why most people are shying away from this. They need a different form of sweetner to sell to a higher clientell

@deuce haha thanks man, if we got paid by review that would be awesome, rico would be a millionaire

• venom434
    July 3, 2011

i've never heard of this, sounds interesting; good review though.

• July 3, 2011

AWESOME review moose! i just ordered this stuff and im stoked to try it out, hope it works as good as you say

July 3, 2011

@simkins It works great man, not the best tasting but i would sacrifice taste any day for performance. Hope it helps bro