Casein Pro Reviews

By: Universal

Casein Pro is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Universal. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.

Only 2 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

October 23, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Helps With Soreness
  • Makes You Full
  • Mixes Thick
I tried this after I found it on a sale from bodybuilding.com For a long while I have been trying a lot of different casein powders to see if I can find one I like. This is the first Universal Product I have tried. At only 108 calories per scoop delivering 24 grams of protein, I was really hopeful in this product. The ingredient profile is very basic and I would like to point out that it is a micellar casein only product:
Micellar Casein (Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Inulin, Sodium Chloride, Lecithin (Soy), Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Taste = 10/10
I don't think much could be improved on this product. I tried the Vanilla Soft Serve, and it had a very similar taste to that of Vanilla ice cream. It did NOT have that overly sweetened flavor nor smell that I distaste in so many other protein powders. I do feel that there usually room for improvement, but I really could not pick a single thing from this product that I did not like the taste of! It even tasted great just in water! It didn't give an overly fake vanilla taste to anything I mixed it with as well and complimented everything I blended this with.

Mixability = 9/10
This tended to need a blender for mixing well into dairy/soy/almond milk, etc. It mixed quite well into water, but I usually put it into bedtime shakes or used a half scoop in a shake during the day. It would mix so thick that I sometimes needed to add water to the shake. There really were rarely any clumps or issues with it getting stuck onto t he sides of the glass or blender bottle. This is great in my experience with caseins.

Effectiveness = 8/10
The effectiveness of casein powder is difficult to asses in any means other than it keeping you full after consumption and helping with overnight soreness felt the next morning. In both respects this did a very good job. I felt less sore on mornings after having this in a night time shake the night prior, especially because I train mainly later in the evenings. When I used this in shakes throughout the day it helped fill me up and tie me over until the next meal.

Cost = 8/10
I like cost-effective supplements. I did get this at a lesser than normal price. Right now it goes for about $29.99 for a 2 pound tub. I prefer the protein powders that are near 10 dollars per pound, and in the realm of casein powders available today, it is on the lower range (big name brands today $27-$32+ per 2 pounds) . Generic protein powders are much less than Universal Casein Pro, but for the quality of what you are buying, I feel that it is quite a fair price.

Would I recommend this to anyone looking for a casein powder? ABSOLUTELY. I like a protein powder I can use at night and during the day. This one was a fast mixing protein and I enjoyed the flavor. If I come across another casein to try I will, but plan to get more of this in the future. I did not notice any GI side effects and truly cannot come up with any strong negative to this product - solid first impression on me Universal!

January 26, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Maintains Muscle
  • Reduces Catabolism
  • Texture Takes Getting Used Too
This is my first casein protein I have ever had so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Profile:(10/10)

Calories: 108-125 (depending on flavor)
Carbs: 3-5g (depending on flavor)
Protein: 24g
So as you can see this has a really good profile, especially because it's only micellar casein with no other proteins blended in.

Taste: vanilla soft serve (7/10)

The taste really wasn't bad, it did taste kinda like a vanilla ice cream cone but it was the texture that got too me. It was almost like drinking water with sand in it. But after the 3rd time I took it I got used of it.

Effectiveness: (8/10)

It's really hard to tell how effective a protein actually is. With that being said, I did notice I recovered a lot better every night I took this then when I didn't take it. I took it every night with 8oz skim milk which seemed to be the tastiest way to take it.

Value: (8/10)

Well I paid $55 total for a 4lb tub which has 55 servings in it, so at a $1 a serving that's not to bad, considering you are getting pure micellar casein.