Animal Whey Reviews

By: Universal

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Animal Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Universal. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Muscle Soreness
  • Decent Recovery Time

Hello again all. Finished up my 1 month supply of Animal Whey protein powder and here to give my two cents on the product. I'm guessing there isn't a review on this yet since it's only sold on bodybuilding.com for a pretty steep price. But I had store credit with them and found their 2lbs. tub on sale so figured to give it a try. This product is made by Universal Nutrition for anybody who doesn't know. I used to love their products with a passion, but over the years I can just say I think the products I've tried are just decent now. Nothing special in my opinion. Anyways here's my review on Animal Whey.

Note: This isn't a mass gainer. Just a basic protein powder with added enzyme blend. Low carb and low fat content.

Total Protein Content Per Serving (1 scoop): 25g

Proprietary Protein Blend
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Whey Protein Concentrate (ultra-filtrated)

If I remember right, whey protein isolate is like over 90% protein content per gram and whey protein concentrate is around 40-80% protein content per gram. My point is that being a blend I have no idea how much of which whey protein variation is being used. So it does make me question this blend.

Digestive Enzyme Blend
- Papain
- Bromelain

These enzymes are supposed to possibly increase the break down of proteins and reduce swelling/pain. Being another proprietary blend I don't know how much of each ingredient is within each serving to know its max effectiveness. By personally using this protein powder I can say it didn't seem like anything was different aside from it digesting like how a whey protein is supposed to without this enzyme blend.

Carbs: 3g per serving

Fat: 1g per serving

Total Calories: 121 per serving

Basically this is a decent protein ingredient profile without a lot of carbs or fats to let a person have the control to use this during their bulk or cut cycle.

I bought two 2lbs. tubs of this in Cookies & Cream flavor and Pumpkin Pie. Both easily dissolved/mixed in water and milk with a shaker or blender. Stirred they are grainy but not too clumpy. (I only stirred for the sake of testing it out.) The powder mixed well with other ingredients too since I use the powder for making pancakes, waffles, no bake cookies etc.

Both of the flavors I tasted were decent. I don't like using protein powders where I have to force it down and want to die afterwards. I'd say the taste was just below that of how Syntha-6's protein powders are.

Generally I only take 2 scoops of protein powder after training, so two days of the week are without using it. Then 1 extra scoop for food prepping every few days. Each tub has 28 one scoop servings, which makes it 12 days worth of protein for after training (-2 scoops for food prep).

I was using Animal Whey towards the last weeks of my cutting cycle and into my recently started bulking cycle. Between the two different types of training this protein has been able to hold its ground and help my body feel pretty good after intense training for about 4 hours. By this time its dinner for me to eat more protein. Muscle soreness was at a minimum and recovery time seemed to progress smoothly. The main reason I give this an 8 is because comparing it to Body Fortress (needed some quick protein to buy) this stuff definitely works better for the reasons already stated.

I looked around other areas and ended up on Universal's website. Apparently this is only distributed and sold on bodybuilding.com

The 2lbs. tub is $50.99 - Makes it around $1.82 per serving. This is a little steep in my opinion for a protein powder that was no better than ON's 100% whey protein, which could be found for cheaper deals across the internet.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

Overall Animal Whey is a decent protein powder that I think is only worth purchasing if it's on sale, or you just have the extra money to try something new. It did help keep muscle soreness down and kept recovery times to a minimum, so it isn't all that bad - just not something I would invest in at full price.
  • Pumpkin Pie: 8/10
  • Cookies & Cream: 9/10

• Mjg1973
    December 31, 2015

Another company with pumpkin pie protein powder... what is the world comming to....

Good review btw...

• pancow
    December 31, 2015

lol yeah I went ahead a gave it a try and it actually wasn't bad. Next up would be Starbucks peppermint mocha flavor.