Animal Snak Reviews

By: Universal

FORUM TOPICS

Energy Supplements > Bars
Animal Snak is an Energy Bar manufactured by Universal. It helps fuel your body by providing extra calories to increase muscle performance and endurance.

September 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • Solid Profile And Ingredients

These are really tasty and easy to eat. They're filling and not comprised of garbage ingredients like soy protein, so their price is justified.

I want to thank Universal Nutrition for sending out these bars. They were actually ordered after Redcon1's MRE bars was auto-canceled then arrived unannounced simultaneously. This wasn't great for being timely with my review, but did provide me with a unique opportunity to compare two great MR bar options side-by-side.

Normally I am up around 4am to lift, which also means I am usually hungry for lunch by 11... which then means I have a LONG time until the end of my work day. Because of this, I rely heavily on my snacks-- especially protein bars. That is why I opted to try these out, with the main goal of simply filling my macros and satisfying my hunger.

Rather than list the full ingredient panel here, I'll run through the macros and what I liked about the ingredients as a whole.

I received two flavors:
    - Oatmeal Raisin - 350k/cal, 10g fat (4g saturated), 25g protein, and 40g total carbs.
    - Peanut Butter Honey & Oats - 370k/cal, 15g fat (4g saturated), 27g protein, and 34g total carbs.

What I liked most about these were that both bars featured Peanut Butter as the lead ingredient, followed by whey isolate. They also included real raisins in the oatmeal raisin bars and actual oats and peanuts in the peanut butter honey. It helped make them seem less artificial, as many meal replacement bars seem to me.

No Mixing

Dosing was really any time I found myself getting hungry-- usually mid afternoon.

Taste was outstanding with both bars. Both flavors were very savory and filling, but I probably give a slight edge to the oatmeal raisins because of the raisins in the bar, even though I'm usually a peanut butter person. The only knock I'd give to the flavor is that the bars themselves were very dense and took some effort to chew. That said, they also held together very well so density worked in their favor when you're hungry AND dressed up trying not to get messy.

For what their purpose was, these were fantastic. They filled me up and kept me that way for quite a while. They had a taste that was crave-worthy, and they weren't made of junk fake ingredients. I really have nothing negative to say about them. On particularly hot days the peanut butter could get a little runny... but it's peanut butter, so... to be expected. The macro ratios were solid, and while fat was a bit high, most of it was unsaturated. Overall I was really happy with these.

The best price I was able to find for a 12-pack of these bars was $22.98 at Best Price Nutrition. At less than $2/bar for a legitimate meal replacement option, I think that's totally reasonable.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I loved these. I intended to be comparing them side by side with the MRE bars with the expectation that one of the bars would prevail as the victor, but it never really happened. Depending on a variety of factors I found myself craving either or. Animal Snak is simply put a top shelf option for satisfying your hunger and meeting your macros without resorting to crap like snickers or fast food. They are made of quality ingredients, taste great, and keep you full. What else can you ask for?

August 23, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Delicious
    • Could Do With Some Form Of Fruit

Animal Snak is an excellent choice among protein bars for those looking for a delicious and effective treat to help keep macro requirements in check while helping to satisfy hunger.

A special thanks to Universal for their participation here on SR.com. Also, an apology as this review is a bit overdue. Today, I discuss my experiences with Universal's protein bar Animal Snak. Protein bars are a handy way to help get in an extra helping of protein to help keep muscular anabolism and recovery supported and going strong. Plus, the confectionary aspect of most protein bars provides us with a pleasurable treat experience. To date, I've used many brands of bars. Quest and Fitjoy are among my two top go too brands, with quest being my number one overall. However, I always like to try new things in this category.

I would like to note that the contents of the ingredients profile such as the calories, sugar, and carbs vary slightly among each flavor. The flavors of Animal Snak I received were Frosted Oatmeal Raisin and Peanut Butter Honey and Oats.

Between the flavors that I got, each bar contains 350-370 calories, 10-15g of fat (4g are saturated), 34-40g of carbs, 20g of sugar, and 25-27g of protein derived from milk protein isolate and whey protein concentrate.

The sugar content is a little high for my taste, but everything else is favorable. The high dose of protein and carbs help with energy and recovery. Most od the fats are good fats, helping to supplement nutritional intake of favorable fats. The calorie content is a little, so one wouldn't expect this to be a more diet oriented bar for those looking to lose weight.

The high values of each nutritional content is expected to be high given that this is intended to be somewhat of a meal replacement class bar. Animal Snak bars contain no additional artificial sweeteners, flavors, sugar alcohols, or added sugars.

Taste/Usage

Both the Peanut Butter Honey and Oats and Frosted Oatmeal Raisin flavors were delicious. I would say of the two, the Frosted Oatmeal Raisin barely wins in terms of taste. The texture is a little tough, but not inedible. I did warm the bars sometimes to soften them and because warmed protein bars are a special treat for me.

I don't consume bars very frequently, but when I do, I keep them as a once-a-day snack to help curb appetite and supplement with extra protein and nutrients. I would eat a bar sometime in the afternoon, often between my second and third meals. I only ate one bar a day.

In addition to giving me the satisfaction of a confectionary like treat, Animal Snak was a great way to supplement with extra protein, carbs, and good fats without adding too hefty a dose of unwanted calories or sugars.

After eating one, I would feel full an satisfied for a good amount of time between meals. It did this without making me feel overly bloated or gassy, which is something that happens to me sometimes with meal replacement based bars.

The extra protein helps maintain my recovery while the carbs helped give me higher levels of natural energy.

Overall, the bars did the job very well.

After doing some shopping, I found that you can purchase a 12ct box for about 22 dollars on AllStarHealth.com. A single bar on all websites goes for about 2 dollars. I think this is a very good value and well worth the investment given the enjoyability and effectiveness of the bars. In addition, I've seen sales and deals go on for these at times on various vendor websites such as BOGO deals. So, when the opportunity arises, I would recommend capitalizing on the improved value.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Animal Snak is a great tasting, hunger satisfying, energy supporting, and convenient way to help keep your macros in check and support your fitness goals of getting those gains. In conclusion, Animal Snak will help you feed the animal within you. Lookout for sales and deals. Of course, make sure the bulk of your nutrition from good wholesome food.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!!
    • Frosted Oatmeal Raisin: 10/10

April 20, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Delicious
    • No Stomach Issues

What is going on guys? I've got a tasty protein snack review for you all today. I actually ordered these because of the positive feedback from other gym goers and the respect I have for the Universal Nutrition brand. Let's dive right in.

One bar is 350 calories:
      This bar is not for the faint of heart. I would almost call it a meal replacement bar because of the caloric total. If you are on a cut you can always make anything fit into your macros, however you may end up with way less total volume of food ingested for the day than if you ate say another 'mini meal' of 350 calories. Lucky for me I am currently in a caloric surplus so adding one bar to my daily macros wouldn't hinder me from eating my other planned meals at all.

12g Fat (5g saturated): This macronutrient stat alone limited me to only eating one of these babies per day. It's not horribly high by any means, but it was enough to sway me from eating multiple bars a day to maintain my macros (and stay under my daily fat total).

39g Carbs: This amount would defiantly 'refuel you' before a workout or after a workout. Once again I go back to the person cutting metaphor. If your only eating 200g of carbs per day than this bar would be almost 20% of that total and at least for me bars are far less volume and filling than 40 carbs of 'real food'.

25g Protein: Equivalent to most protein shakes, this is a great amount of protein to consume on the go.

What's it made of??
      Peanut butter, honey, brown rice syrup, milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk chocolate coating (sugar, palm kernel oil, nonfat dry milk, cocoa powder, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], and salt), whey protein crisp (whey protein concentrate, corn starch, cocoa processed with alkali), inulin, chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], and vanilla), rolled oats, cocoa, almonds, peanuts, natural and artificial vanilla and chocolate flavors, peanut flour, sea salt, potassium sorbate.

Does anyone else's mouth drool after the first two ingredients? Peanut butter and honey are an absolute heavenly combination. The types of protein in here are whey protein concentrate and milk protein isolates. I like seeing both types in a bar because maybe my particular body responds a little quicker in absorbing one than the other. Then the rest of the ingredients are like your baking a cake! lol chocolate chips, almonds, whey protein crisp (whey protein concentration corn starch, and cocoa), milk chocolate coating and other tasty ingredients.

I like the label overall. If I was really counting my calories and in a major deficit I probably wouldn't use my macros on a heavy bar like this simply because it uses up a lot of what you have to work with later. BUT it's absolutely possible to fit it into your macros on any plan of course. I think this bar is best suited for people in a calculated caloric surplus. The ingredients list literally made my mouth drool, because it was chalk full of tasty sounding foods.

Taste: Double chocolate brownie
      This thing lives up to the hype I felt after reading the label. If you like chocolate this is THE chocolate bar for the fitness enthusiast. I am a huge vanilla flavor guy in general, but even I fell hard for this chocolate bar. It's a thick yet softer texture that I really loved. The flavor is as close to perfect as you could make it (and it should be with 25g of sugar in it). It was a very potent and in your face kind of flavor.

Mix: Not applicable

Dosage: I ate one bar whenever I was hungry, typically between my lunch and dinner about 2-3 hours before I'd be in the gym.

For protein bars, my main concern is always did it make me feel full after? Did it satisfy me? This bar actually left me feeling full for at least an hour after I ate it. That's more than I can say for the vast majority of protein bars that I've ever tried. This is probably due to the fact that this is a denser bar with more calories than I'm used to. I never had any stomach issues or unsettling gas in my trial with these bars. They were super convenient to keep in my gym bag, or my car to have a nice chunk of calories whenever I needed it.

$23.49 on bodybuilding.com for 12 of these delicious guys. That's where I ordered mine from and they averaged out to just under $2 per bar. That is MORE than competitive in the protein bar industry and this bar actually tastes good/ does the job that It's supposed to. You can now find the bars even cheaper on Illpumpyouup.com for just under $22.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you have the flexible calories to play with then this is gonna be your favorite protein bar. It's filling, it's delicious, and leaves you feeling satisfied. What more could you want?
      • Double chocolate brownie: 10/10

Overall
      Overall
      9.5
        March 28, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Delicious
      • Affordable For What It Is
      • Could Do With Some Form Of Fruit

Hey guys another review here, and I am very pleased to say I have found my new favorite protein bar! Its incredible that Universal as a brand has been around so long and yet they keep bringing out quality products, and now a much needed real food protein bar that Frank Mcgrath had a lot to do with, which is fantastic! But anyways back to the review.... I needed a bar that can easily adapt to my new lifestyle of eating less but still getting in multiple sources of protein and carb sources when I am on the move, plus less cooking means more time for life.

Here are the rough for these bars: 27g protein, 34g carbs (6g fiber, 20g sugar), 15g fat (4g saturated), 370 cals. Peanut Butter, Honey, Brown Rice Syrup, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Chocolate Coating (Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Nonfat Dry Milk, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin [an emulsifier]), and Salt), Whey Protein Crisp (Whey Protein Concentrate, Corn Starch, Cocoa Processed With Alkali), Inulin, Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [an emulsifier], and Vanilla), Rolled Oats, Cocoa, Almonds, Peanuts, Natural and Artificial Vanilla and Chocolate Flavors, Peanut Flour, Sea Salt, Potassium Sorbate

There are alot of ingredients that into a bar, but seeing the variety of protein sources and carbohydrates really does set this apart. When they say they mean and this has been the foundation of their longevity and success over the decades! I love that it contains honey, peanut butter and rolled oats. Admittedly its not the "cleanest" formulation but the point of this bar is for it to be a "food bar" so to me I am not complaining here... Could a "lite" or diet snak bar work? Well it can if they maintain the taste and protein! Another aspect I enjoy is that there is no artificial flavors or sweeteners, no sugar alcohols and no added sugar! But I'd like to add that I'd like to see an inclusion of some sort of dried fruit to add to the real food feel - but I guess they are playing it safe as they seeing how snak does.

----Taste---
      I was fortunate enough to get all the flavors from bodybuilding.com, to me they were all great and unique in their own way. they are very rich, to me the double chocolate brownie and peanut butter honey and oats were my favorite. But overall the taste was awesome and I just hope they will add more flavors in the future.

Texture

Was on point! It was chewy but man was it perfect literally like eating a full meal bar, normally protein bars today can be quite chewy but and lacking any real "wow" factor. I loved that each bar had its own individual identity. The first thing you get straight up is you are eating something real and good.

1 bar whenever you feel for a snack or on the go meal, for me I would have this midday and it would fill me up all the way.

Now again I cant gauge this but what I can do is speak about how it served its purpose in being a wholefood bar.

I have to give this a max rating just because it really did wow me, being in this game so many years you come across plenty of various bars that cause bloating, gas and taste like poo. Well Universal has done something spectacular here and literally made a bar I can eat anytime and anywhere. Unlike other bars that cost more, taste worse and have no whole food ingredients snak is really effective in being a healthy meal on the go and really can fill you up all the way. The protein content is high and really does aid in reaching macro requirements when needed. Theres not too much more I can say here other than this to me is the perfect bar and really goes beyond a purpose of being a snack and instead being a meal when theres no time too cook or being on the road, anywhere and anytime its perfect.

To be fair the pricing is on point, I mean a bar on average goes for about $2 and a box of 12 for $23.49 (bodybuilding.com) I mean a proper meal today with a nice amount of protein and carbs is alot more than $2. We live in a world where the cost of living let alone proper healthy meals cost a fortune. Go out and eat that healthy wrap with a teaspoon of chicken that costs you $4/5 and then you see that these snak bars are affordable and well priced. Giving it a 9 doesn't mean I am being generous but rather a result of honesty and a real plan of action that will see this being the best protein bar around. I know its advertised as a snak but gosh darnit it served as a meal for me. But for it to be a 10 a form of fruit in this would make it perfect to me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Nothing is perfect but this is near perfect to me, from the packaging, taste, ingredients, macros and texture. I somehow feel that this is a game changer and it yells "big boy" when you take a bite, I imagine Evan Centopani and Frank Mcgrath have these bars often because its certainly a manly man bar and being formulated with athletes in mind. These Snak bars are really the perfect combination of everything that was lacking in the protein bar section - being lack of texture, whole food ingredients and taste! I hope more flavors and an inclusion of fruit in the future will happen, oh man perfection! This is certainly a bar I would buy again... and again!
      • Double chocolate brownie: 9/10
      • Rich chocolate peanut butter : 8/10
      • Peanut butter chocolate chip: 9/10

March 24, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Delicious

I like having protein bars. Sometimes, I use them as snacks between meals and other days, I use them as a meal replacement (e.g. if I'm going to be out all day and don't want to get fast food). I've tried over a dozen bars; some of them good, many of them not, and when I got a chance to beta-test Animal Snak bars, I jumped on it.

I liked them and decided to get a few boxes when they came on sale.

This bar is advertised as a whole foods bar vs. a candy-like bar such as Fit Crunch or My Bar. It has no added sugar, no artificial flavors or sweeteners, and has no sugar alcohols.

The ingredients and macros change slightly depending on which flavor you get, so I'll go over the PB Honey and Oats bar as it was my favorite.

It's made with peanuts, honey, brown rice, and oats. The protein sources are milk protein isolate and whey concentrate.

Macros: 27g protein, 34g carbs (6g fiber, 20g sugar), 15g fat (4g saturated), 370 calories.
        Micros: 35mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 320mg potassium, 30% DV Calcium, 6% RDV Iron,

I've tried three of the four flavors, pb honey and oats, rich chocolate peanut butter, and pb chocolate chip.

I'd rate pb honey and oats a 9/10. It tastes exactly as it's described. The one thing I would change is I would a bit of salt. I think that would compliment the honey nicely, but I'm splitting hairs. This one is very good.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the rich chocolate pb as much 7/10. The peanut butter flavor was there, but the chocolate was lacking. If they had used more chocolate (or perhaps a darker one), it would have been a more successful flavor.

PB Chocolate Chips was better than rich chocolate pb 8/10, but it still needed a bit more chocolate.

I have yet to try the fourth flavor (chocolate brownie) yet. I wanted to get a single bar of it before committing to a whole box.

I usually cut the bars in half as 370 calories is a bit too big for a snack. I am cutting at the moment. I would though eat a whole bar if I was using it as a meal, e.g. when I was at the airport. Also, the bars are a bit bigger than advertised. They're listed as 93g, but they've been about 101g, so the calories are probably closer to 400.

These bars were pretty effective for my needs.

1. I like that they have more fat than many bars on the market. I often find that I'm low on dietary fat, so this was helpful to me.

2. They delivered in terms of satiety. One bar would keep me full for several hours and even half of a bar would keep me full for a few hours.

3. The bars were also easy to digest. The lack of sugar alcohols was a plus in my book and the oats provided a good amount of fiber.

4. The texture was good. The bars weren't too tough to chew or too dry.

I do try to eat "real food" most of the time, but in a pinch, these bars are great.

The bars often retail for $27/box which is $2.25/bar. This is pretty standard, especially for a bar of this size. You can, though, get them cheaper if you're willing to buy more than 1 box at a time. I've seen them go bogo 50 a few times. Getting two boxes in one of these deals would bring the price down to $1.69/bar, which is a pretty good price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

These were one of the better protein bars that I have tried. Animal did good here. If you want a whole foods protein bar, I'd give these a try.
        • Peanut butter chocolate chip: 7/10
        • Rich chocolate peanut butter : 7/10

February 27, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Delicious

Finding something tasty to feed this guy is difficult at times. Finding a tasty Meal replacement bar that does not taste like chalk or have this weird mouth feel that hang's around afterword ,. well that is something of a urban legend. That is until I tried these babies!

Every one of these bar's has a slightly different make up and slighty different macro's . Not huge but those that count macro's closely might want to really look at which bar fit's you best.
          There is the complete list and break down of the label.
          But the quick and easy is every bar is at least 350 calories. At least 25 grams protein. 6 grams of fiber, at least 20 grams of sugars and at least 12 grams of fat.

4 flavors to pick from right now. They all seem to have a familiar taste. But they are all very very good.
          The rich chocolate peanut butter I think was my fav. Next was the peanut butter honey and oat. But like I say every one they have is very good.
          The next choices are peanut butter chocolate chip and double chocolate brownie.
          The have a great crisp crunch to them which is awesome and it give's it a great mouth feel to it. I hate those bar's that have this taffy chewy feel to it.

I only had four bar's to try so effectiveness is going to be hard to say. But It did hold me over a good while. Which honestly is all I was looking for anyway. No stomach issue's at all. Even though they are a good size bar, they do not give you a heavy full feeling either which is nice. I would have liked to try these as a Pre workout meal to see how that stood up, but I was unable to do that.

I am seeing these run around 24 bucks for 12 pack. 2 dollars a bar is a great deal on these. Especially for as good as they taste. I would pick these 10 to 1 to another bar even if something else was cheaper.

Side Effects

I ran out. Which can lead to depression.

Conclusion

Finally a great tasting Meal replacement bar!. Seriously people grab one of these. I would love to see these at walmart on day. I really think they would not be on the shelf long if they ever did. I hope to see Universal brand be a bigger part of SR. com .
          • Peanut butter honey oat: 8/10