Animal Pak Reviews

Overall
Overall
  November 21, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Has All You Nutreints
  • Good Amount Of Vit C And B Complex
  • Affordable Enough
  • Has Good Liver Support
  • Most Comprehensive Multi-vitamin On The Market
  • Good Ingredient Profile
  • Great Muti- Vitamins.
  • A Lot Of Pills!
  • Look Shut Up And Swallow It Whiner
  • Not Sure Which Pill Does What
  • Many Ingredients Are Underdosed

This legendary supplement has been around since the early 1980s. It's more than just a multi-vitamin. These "Paks" are commonplace in nearly every gym, if you keep your eyes open. Even if your diet is on point and your routine is solid, these are still a "must have."

Hi all. I'm in my late 30s and this review is based on my very first run of Animal Pak which I just completed. I remember back in high school, seeing the "yellow can" at the gym and again in college. It was always the "beasts" that had the Animal Paks so I assumed it was a supplement for bodybuilders. After all these years, I finally started researching the Pak and finally after reading reviews on this site, I decided to give it a try, so here we go....

I'm not going to list every single ingredient, as this thing is LOADED and has been reviewed many times. Here's what I think is important:

On the multi vitamin side you get the classics - A, C, D, E, B6 and B12. All are dosed in amounts well over the daily value.
Staying on the vitamin and mineral side you've also got Copper, Zinc (I love Zinc, great for colds, stomach woes, and just immune system in general), Magnesium (Many people, men in particular, don't get enough Magnesium), Calcium, Biotin, Iodine and many other of the "usual suspects" in most multi-vitamins.

Amino Acid Profile - This is where Animal Pak begins to separate itself from most of the competition:
174 mg of Glutamine (this is a smaller dose than you'd like for strictly a Glutamine supplement but this isn't strictly a glutamine supplement)
1213mg of Arganine, 279 mg Alanine, Proline (203 mg), Serline (250 mg - very underrated AA - helps with moods/serotonin production).
BCAAs and EAAs: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine (I love Lysine. If you are prone to getting cold sores, take this daily, and you'll barely ever get them), Valine

"Performance Complex" - Carnitine (25mg), Milk Thistle, Hawthorne Berry, "Uni-liver blend" (Liver, beef protein isolate - 4200 mg)

Antioxidants: ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid -100 mg), Pine Bark Extract (200mg), Kelp( Nutrients and vitamins up the wazoo in Kelp, 10 mg here), Lutein, Lycopene, and a few others

Lastly, "Digestive Enzyme Complex"
Bromelain 100 mg, Inulin 250 mg(I love inulin. Great for your gut. Feeds "good bacteria" and prevents "bad bacteria" in your gut), Lipase 10 mg

Individually, you might look at some of the dosages and think "those are little underdosed" but keep in mind that their goal here is to give you at least a decent amount of basically everything your body really needs. Like I said above, if I'm looking for more glutamine, I'll take a glutamine sup or if I want more Lysine, I'll take a lysine sup.

So, as we all know, there's 11 pills in each "pak." One serving is 2 paks (so keep in mind the ingredients described above are referring to a full serving/2 paks). I took 1 pak per day as I am not a bodybuilder and not competing. There's really only one pill that I would call a "horse" pill. The rest are fairly normal. If you take pills with any regularity, these will be no different. I think some people have issues when they try to take a few at a time. I would mostly take them 2 at a time and I was fine. I took these in the morning while eating breakfast and drink a lot of water with them.

I did not have any bloodwork done when I was running the Animal Pak so I don't know the effectiveness from a scientific standpoint but I do know these worked. Prior to these I had not taken a multi-vitamin with any consistency for many, many years. Every once in a while I will take some of my 4 year old son's gummy vitamins (because they taste good). So, I experienced an overall better feeling in terms of my "well being" every day. I definitely was not as tired at the end of the day, as I was when I wasn't taking this. When the can ran out and I was waiting to get more, I immediately noticed that I didn't feel as "good" throughout the days. Yes, I know some of this was placebo effect but not all of it.

I bought the 44 pak can for $28.95 online. So at about 66 cents per pack, I think this is a great deal given the robust ingredient profile. These go anywhere from about $28 to as high as about $34 for 44 packs. I still think that's a decent price at the higher end but if you can score these for under $30, I think it's a steal given that it's not just vitamins in each pack.

Side Effects

The infamous "highlighter yellow" pee. Also, my pee smelled a little different. I knew to expect this before I started taking these so it didn't bother me in the least. I experienced no other side effects.

Conclusion

If you have never tried the legendary Animal Pak, try it. I feel like anyone who works out or lifts on a regular basis (you don't have to be a "gym rat" or body builder) should at least try one run of these. They would not have lasted all this time if they didn't work, especially in an industry where products are here one day and gone the next. Longevity tells you something. There are better options if you're looking for strictly vitamins and don't care about the aminos or performance complex (if you're supplementing separately) but for overall health for any gym goer, these are a must-have.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ! (Got my Redcon1 RPG all ready for tomorrow's feast haha)