Animal Pak Powder Reviews

By: Universal

Health & Wellbeing > Multi-Vitamins
Animal Pak Powder is a Multi-Vitamin manufactured by Universal. It is designed to help provide the body with a wide array of micro nutrients that are vital for optimal health. It could be described as an 'insurance policy' to ensure that you're getting all of your vitamins and minerals but it is still crucial to eat a balanced diet.

April 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Similar To The Paks
  • General Health
  • Includes A Proprietary Blend

Animal Pak is probably the most popular multi-vitamin on the market, at least when it comes to fitness enthusiasts. When I first started checking out SR, I remember seeing many reviews giving Animal Pak (the pill version) great feedback. I've used the pills version several times, so when I saw this offered, I jumped at the opportunity.

Since the profile is quite long, listing out each ingredient wouldn't make any sense, so I will go over what I like and dislike about the profile. If you want a closer look at the profile, a picture is attached below.

Pros-
I like the alpha-lipoic acid, as it has studies showing it may be beneficial for insulin resistance. The anti-oxidant complex is just nice to see in general, and I like how the dosages are listen. Also, I like the digestive enzyme complex. One thing I'm a little torn on is the B-12. Methylcobalamin has a superior absorption rate to cyanocobalamin, so why include both of them in here? Still, it's good seeing the methylcobalamin.

While I typically don't advocate people taking calcium supplements, at least Universal used calcium citrate, as opposed to something like calcium carbonate. There is a complex with some good ingredients like hawthorne berry and milk thistle, however, they are in a blend so we have no idea how much is really in here.

Cons-
Like many multi-vitamins with extras in them, a lot of the ingredients are going to be underdosed. Another gripe I have is with the magnesium oxide. I would like to see this in either a citrate or chelate form, as they have a higher bioavailability, and magnesium oxide can result in some bad bathroom trips if you catch my drift. I personally didn't have any issues there, but it does happen in some people.

While I do supplement with vitamin D (5000IU), I wish there were more in here. With all of the research showing the benefits, I'd like to see more than 680IU for 2 scoops. It would be nice to not have to take another pill. Same goes for Lutein. I like the ingredient, just for general eye health, but it needs to be a bit higher. Having it in there isn't bad though, and perhaps overtime it can be beneficial.

I had the orange flavor, and was really impressed. I've had the cherry in the past and really enjoyed it, but the orange flavor is even better. I haven't had orange juice in years, but this can be a great replacement. I typically sipped on this on my way to work, along with my breakfast shake I have every morning.

Dosing is one-two scoops a day. I went with 1, as 2 scoops would get quite expensive overtime. I eat pretty healthy, so any deficiencies I may have could easily be filled in with one serving of this, so I saw no huge benefit in taking 2 scoops anyways.

With everything in here, you can expect some sediment/floaties. It is still very drinkable and any grit I experienced was easily taken care of by reshaking my shaker cup.

Well, it's hard to tell how well a multi-vitamin is working, especially for me. I don't get sick very often, in fact I can't remember the last time I had the flu. Multi-vitamins are basically insurance, to fill in the gaps for deficiencies in your diet. My health habits tend to go through phases. Some weeks I am eating as healthy as Evan Centopani, and other weeks I'm eating out every day. I tend to eat healthy, but I still like to supplement with a little extra to make sure I'm getting in what I need.

For the most part, you have to look at the ingredient profile and make sure the forms of vitamins/minerals are not going to make you have any side effects.

One thing that makes me like Animal Pak so much are the "extras" they throw in. It's not just a MV, Animal Pak comes with some other ingredients like alpha-lipoic acid, choline bitartrate, a few digestive enzymes. While the profile is not perfect, there are still some beneficially ingredients in here that you won't "feel", but should appreciate.

You can get this for roughly $29. If you use 2 scoops, you're looking at $1.31, and $0.65 with 1 scoop. At 65 cents a day to simply give you a little bit of "insurance", I feel it is well worth the money. If you don't eat healthy and feel you are lacking in your micronutrients, $1.31 is a decent price to pay for your long-term health, although I'd highly recommend you clean up your diet instead.

Side Effects

Neon yellow urine, but that's normal with extra B-Vitamins.

Conclusion

While it is by no means perfect, it is still a solid option for most of us fitness enthusiasts. While a multi-vitamin can never replace a healthy diet, they can still be beneficial by making sure you're not deficient in anything. While there are certainly better products out there, I would have no problem considering this when I'm in the market for a MV again. For 65 cents a day, I'd say this is worth your money.
  • Orange: 9/10
  • Cherry: 8/10

March 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Similar To The Paks
  • Taste
  • General Health
  • Great Comprehensive Vitamin And Mineral Supplement
  • Includes A Proprietary Blend
  • Mixes Poorly

Animal Pak is probably one of the most popular supplements of ALL TIME and I'm not just saying that. It has been around for as long as I can remember but it had one very major flaw and that was that not just anyone could throw down the ridiculous amount of pills that each serving laid out. I personally used it quite a few times wayyyy back about 10 years ago and felt like the amount of vitamins I was taking was possibly overkill and potentially wasted money but as I've gotten older and wiser with my nutritional needs I do believe that using a very comprehensive vitamin supplement can be an essential component to any serious lifter's supplement arsenal especially when you are in competition mode and need to ensure optimal amounts of each mineral and vitamin in your body at all times to keep the body's engine running at full throttle. I didn't even realize that Universal had made a powered version of their famous supplement when I saw it so I had to jump on board and see if it truly lives up to the Animal Pak name. Quick thanks to Universal for giving me the opportunity to try out Animal Pak Powder for review! Now lets see how it stacks up!

So the Animal Pak in general is probably one of the most comprehensive vitamin supplements available with regards to the ingredient list so I'll just have to ask for your forgiveness and decide not to type about every ingredient on there. Instead I think I'll actually compare the Animal Pak Powder to its predecessor, Animal Pak. Interestingly enough this formula is not an exact match to the original formula in terms of proportion of ingredients and even ingredients that it contains. It appears that for the most part that many of the ingredients in the Powder formula are slightly underdosed in comparison to the original Animal Pak and is lacking with information on dosing for certain more "important" ingredients like Milk Thistle and Hawthorne Berry which aid in liver health. So if liver health is a big selling point for you with getting Animal Pak, maybe stick with the original formula unless you're willing to buy these things separately. Otherwise, the Animal Pak Powder is still an excellent assortment of pretty much every common mineral and vitamin you can think of and offers a one supplement to have'em all style so you don't have to worry so much about buying separate things.

As for the taste I had the chance to try out the Orange flavor, which I actually believe is the only one available. The only way that I can really describe it is a slightly bland Tang, which I'm sure many of you can relate with in terms of taste and I must say that it's really pretty tasty considering what it is! Animal Pak Powder however does not mix very well at all and I always needed to add water after chugging my initial mixture to re-wash it all down to make sure I get every little bit. The dosing is fairly simple with the use of a standard pre-workout sized scooper that somehow magically fits the crazy amount of pills into powdered form. Overall it tastes pretty good but just make sure to give it an extra rinse cycle before throwing it into the sink.

It's pretty hard to really say anything feasible in terms of effectiveness for a vitamin supplement since it doesn't have any immediate effects from its usage and rather gives you peace of mind that all nutrients and minerals are accounted for in your diet.

I looked around the web and was able to find Animal Pak Powder for approximately $35, which pits it at 80 cents per scoop or $1.60 for each 2 scoop serving depending on how you use it. I personally used it on a 1 scoop/day basis which I think will be able to fit most gym enthusiasts budgets but I can see the need for using it twice for larger individuals or athletes. It's just slightly more expensive that the original Animal Pak pill bags that also have the same amount of servings and considering the big jump in convenience by having it powdered I would definitely give a thumbs up on the value especially for individuals that despise pills.

Side Effects

I personally experienced no significant side effects while using Animal Pak Powder.

Conclusion

I honestly can't believe that it took this long for Universal to finally release their most popular product in powdered form considering the fact that the large number of pills was likely the biggest negative for consumers on picking the product up! Either way they did finally make it and it's actually pretty tasty and offers ALMOST the same formula as the original with the exception for a few ingredients and slightly reduced overall dosing. It's still essentially the same great product that we've all come to love from Universal but now in a much more convenient and tasty form! For those that really don't mind swallowing a bag full of pills I'd recommend to stick with the good'ol reliable original Animal Pak but for anyone that has steered clear of Animal Pak before due to the quantity of pill swallowing it requires.. well it's finally your time to see what all the fuss has been about! Cheers Fellas!
  • Orange: 7/10

March 8, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Dose Of Core Vitamins
  • General Health
  • Immune Support
  • Robust Profile
  • Versatile Supportive Functionality
  • Gratuitous Ingredients
  • Some Ingredients Underdosed

Ah yes. THE PAK. The quintessential kitchen-sink multi-vitamin for active lifters. If you haven't tried Animal Pak, do you even lift bruh?

On a serious note, I'm a believer in consistently taking a daily multivitamin in order to ensure you're meeting core nutritional needs. I usually stick to a basic, one-pill multi with a relatively simple ingredient profile - ON's Opti-Men is a good example. I'd run Animal Pak (the actual packets) a long while ago, and was intrigued to see the powder version up for the Troopers. It looked like a new formulation as well, so I decided to give it a go.

One final introductory note: I view multi-vitamins the same way I view protein - as a mandatory dietary staple; not a product I expect will take me to the next level. Thus it makes this particular category of supplement rather difficult to review.

Animal Pak Powder is absolutely effing loaded and is slightly different from its hard pill brother. There are five major complexes in this powder: Vitamin, Amino Acid, Performance, Anti-Oxidant, and Digestive Enzyme. The Uni-Pro Blend (protein) included in the Performance complex is unique to the powder, while the pill version includes B6, a Uni-Liver complex, and Oriental Ginseng. Slight differences, but worth noting.

I could write a doctoral thesis on the profile of Pak and how it compares to other products, which ingredients are appropriately dosed, which aren't, and so on. I'll try to do a quick hitter here:

Aside from the Vitamin complex, the other four profiles are basically unmatched by any competitor multi-vitamin. They are insanely robust. Even Vital 4U and its 14 different pills don't hold a candle to Pak on these four platforms. That said, Vital 4U has generally higher dosages of core vitamins and minerals i.e. vitamins A and C, and more ingredients that support the immune system and mental clarity. Even so, when looking at the Vitamin complex in a silo (which I feel is the most important complex of the five) it takes a product like Vital 4U to stack up against the Pak. Your basic one-a-days aren't even going to come close.

Now that's not to say the Pak is flawless. I think some of the complexes are a bit gratuitous. Most of the ingredients in the AA complex are under dosed, some drastically so. Tyrosine, for example, has a recommended daily dose of 500-1000mg. You get 44mg from one scoop of Pak. Now, I understand the intent here is to support reaching daily values; not to provide the full dose... but does 5-10% of your daily dose of something like Tyrosine really make a difference? Same deal for the 3.2g of whey isolate. A nice addition for sure, but doesn't add much in terms of daily protein intake. Give me the Uni-Liver complex over the Performance complex any day of the week BTW.

Real talk - pills and powder simply are not a good delivery method of vitamins. They don't trigger digestion and thus aren't absorbed as efficiently (which is why it's always recommended to take vitamins with meals). But Pak has the Performance/protein complex and thus the added calories that I would expect to trigger digestion and absorption. A nice feature when considered from that angle.

TL,DR - the Vitamin and Enzyme complexes are the MVPs for me.

Requested and received the Orange flavor. Considering this is a VITAMIN powder, I was blown away by the taste. Tart and tangy and very much like a regular OJ. Yes, has some grittiness and some foaming, but nowehere near what I expected given the profile.

I generally drank down 1.5 scoops in 32oz. ice water after dinner.

As stated, it's rather difficult to gauge a vitamin's effectiveness, but I knew I was taking the Pak. I absolutely felt a stronger sense of general health and wellness. Admittedly, this feeling could be totally psychosomatic, but consider this - both my kids and my wife, as well as over 50% of my employees came down with the flu, stomach bug, or other illness during the five weeks I ran this product. This winter absolutely crushed people in terms of colds and sicknesses. Me? I skated through without the slightest sniffle. No cough. Nothing. I have to think Animal Pak played a big role in keeping me healthy and balanced.

One other note on effectiveness - the Pak doesn't fully replace a proper Digestive Enzyme. I didn't have quite the regularity that I do when I'm running that type of supplement, but I did notice a difference in my movements. Again, although it may not fully cover a certain health goal, the Pak assists and supports across the board.

The industry norm for a men's multi is roughly .50c per dose, with the more aggressive products running closer to $1.00 per day. The Pak powder falls in this range. At $29 for 44 scoops and a recommended dosage of 2 scoops daily for active individuals, you're looking at a price point of $1.32 per serving. Pretty pricey. That said, I saw solid effectiveness from 1.5 scoops (0.97c per serving) and I honestly think smaller individuals or those already running a robust stack with a true digestive enzyme and amino acid supplement would do just fine with a single scoop daily.

Side Effects

Conclusion

My recommendation of Animal Pak varies depending on the person. It is a solid, EXTREMELY well-rounded multi that I think can be used in a variety of fashions. Play with the dosing a bit, and Pak can be relatively affordable depending on your wallet. Am I buying this year round? No. But when I need as much health support as possible, this is where I am turning. Animal Pak is the king of this type of product.
  • Orange: 8/10

March 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Mood And Focus
  • Taste
  • Very Good Value
  • Similar To The Paks
    Introduction:

Multi-Vitamins are a staple for me. I do not go a day without one. Whether its a single caplet/capsule/powder/liquid/pack etc., I'm downing one daily. Some I can feel working, in terms of better overall mood, energy, focus etc. Others I do not, however, hopefully those have an underlying benefit to my overall health.

Animal Pak has been around for 30 plus years. It's a well recognized brand and one of the first multi packs I tried way back when. My experience with this pak is extensive via the 44 pak container tub. I probably have gone through a dozen or so in my lifetime.

This is my first try of the Animal Pak in powder form.

Ingredient Profile:

Ok, lots to list here, so for your reading pleasure, I included a basic spreadsheet comparing the Animal Pak vs Animal Powder ingredients, I think I got all of them via copy and paste from labels listed on bb.com (my disclosure reference of information).

Please note Animal Pak Powder Ingredients are on the LEFT. Animal Pak on the RIGHT-I had to make my spreadsheet a JPEG to upload

I think my v-lookups were good to go, however, I will not say that I made any mistakes in copying and pasting.

Animal Pak Powder is broken down into 5 categories:

Vitamin Complex
    Amino Acid Complex
    Performance Complex
    Antioxidant Complex
    Digestive Enzyme Complex

Quick Summary of the differences, these ingredients are NOT in Animal Pak Powder(refer to spreadsheet picture):

B6
    Uni-Liver Complex
    Oriental Ginseng

Included in Animal Pak Powder NOT in Animal Pak:

Uni-Pro Blend- whey isolate-yes there's about 3 grams of whey isolate in this product, not much but an added ingredient

Other than the above which they removed most of the liver complex and was replaced with a Protein complex, there are a several ingredients that vary in dosage. Please refer to spreadsheet below.

Taste 8/10:

I purchased the orange flavor and if you don't like swallowing 11 pills/caplets, this if for you. The flavor was strong but quite good. I enjoyed it as it had an orangey tangy taste to it.

Mixability 8/10:

I would strongly suggest you mix the product in a shaker cup, not a glass. Found that stirring with a spoon gave me a lot of product on the sides of the glass, which I had to continually add water and capture the residue.

The shaker is your best bet here as if any is on the sides just shake it up and your good to go. Very little if any residue remaining.

Dosing:

I took 2 scoops in 12 ounces of water, in a shaker was the preferred method. Drank it on the way to work on an empty stomach. Please note, the directions say to have it with a meal. I had no side effects and felt absorption would be immediate, hence I ran with the above.

I didn't split the scoops up and maybe I could have messed with that dosing based on the below effectiveness.

Effectiveness 8.5/10:

The effects were similar to the original, regardless that the ginseng was not present in this product. Within 15-20 minutes of finishing the product, I felt more alert, my mood was increased and seemed to have more energy as opposed to other multi's I have had in the past. These positive effects lasted a good 4 hours.

Now when I would use the paks, I would split them up and the above positive effects lasted throughout the day or at least 8 hours. I didn't even think of splitting the scoops up here

My value based on purchase 10/10:

Ok, I bought this off of the daily deal site Pharma Soup and the price was $8.99, it doesn't get better than that. The only downside is I was limited to one. Whoever posted that Pharma Soup site, I love you bro !!!!

Real Value 8/10:

A1 Supplements has this for $26.98 as of this review. That's $1.22 a serving (2 scoops) for 22 days. based on the above, that's solid value.

Side Effects:

I experienced no side effects with this product

Conclusion 8.5/10:

I loved this product hand downs. The variances between the two Animal Paks vs Powder were minimal for me at best, yet the results were the same. This is one of the best vitamin powders out there, if you are in the market. I am definitely buying this again based on the above results.

Most likely I will split up the scoops to one in the morning, one in the afternoon.
    • Orange: 8/10

9.5
      December 25, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Ingredient Profile
    • Price
    • Has Good Liver Support
    • Easy To Digest Powder
    • Foamy Mix
    -Ingredient Profile-
    Without digging into each individual ingredient and dose, I feel it would be better if I emphasize the label differences between both forms.

Animal's dosing of the various vitamins and minerals has always made sense to me. If it was 'underdosed', it was for good reason. You can take on massive shots of the energy transportvitamins because you're assuming above normal activity levels and macros. But the minerals are carefully dosed because the individual's diet SHOULD cover what's left, in addition to the potential of crucial conflicts.

Transferring over from the pill label are the core vitamins, minerals, BCAAs, EAAs, Antioxidant complex and Digestive Enzyme complex. The "updated" difference is under the Performance complex, specifically the Uni-Pro blend. In the pill form, the OG Uni-Liver blend (liver, beef protein isolate) is used. The Uni-Pro blend adds whey protein isolate, Eleutherococcus senticosus, Hawthorne, Milk Thistle and Citrus bioflavanoids. These additions improve on the goal of the blend, which is liver health.

-Taste / Mixability / Dosing-
    I had a thorough run with both orange and cherry berry. The orange flavor taste more like an actual orange. I was hoping it would be more like Juiced Aminos, which is a very difficult product to follow in the flavor department anyway. Cherry Berry is the one I favor much more and is now my staple multi. It has a hefty artificial tart going on but I love it.

Each flavor carries its own mixing issues. The orange flavor leaves some very noticeable specks at the bottom. It actually took a concerted effort to get that out, to the point that I stopped trying after a few weeks. Cherry Berry foams up to as much as twice the volume. Cherry Berry also will have some small clumping issues in ice cold water, therefore shake it well.

Since this is Animal Pak, there's a good chance that this is a single serving for you. Factors like extreme activity levels, higher calorie diets, more body mass, etc COULD warrant a second dose.

-Effectiveness-
    It's Animal Pak! One of the rare times I can 'name drop' in a review and have it actually explain something. The absorption is virtually the same as the pill form, except you're already taking in some of the necessary water. The difference of course is how easy it is on the gut in terms of breaking down for digestion. As long as I took it with plenty of dense macros and water, I feel that I have fared better with the powder over the pills.

-Value-
    The pricing for this powder goes head to head with the pill form. This shows how appropriately priced this item is and how consistent Animal intends to be. Normal price range is $27 - $30 + shipping.

-Side Effects-
    Mind your urine color if your water or macros are short.

Conclusion

Animal Pak is my stapled multivitamin, simple as that. Putting it into powder form is just an excuse to further solidify that decision. It was also great to know that there's basically no price difference between either form.

The downside to a powder form though is carrying it around. I keep my container as apart of my 'Go bag' so it's always with me. With the pill form, all I had to do was grab and pocket a set of pills for that day.

This is once again another hat tip to the Animal brand for not changing the product since I've been born ('84)... and then knocking it out of the park by getting with the times and making a powder out of it.
    • Orange: 7/10