Animal Flex Reviews

Pros:
 Cons:
  • A Bit Overhyped
Hey SR Community!

It's been a while since I posted a review and this is the first of two (both are related, hence the timing). First, let me give a little relevant info on myself: 43, 5' 9", 172lbs, workout 5-6 times a week, fairly clean diet Monday to Friday, a sort of split cheat [Saturday I eat whatever I want in terms of food like pizza/pasta/burgers/fries/etc., Sunday I can eat sugary snacks/pastries/chocolate/etc) - but never both of these on the same day], I eat 7 small meals a day, macros are at 40c/30p/30f (approx.), less than ideal sleep/recovery, present goals=add mass, get stronger.

As some of you may remember, I discovered this site a little over 3 years ago and made a commitment to reclaiming my youthful vigor by dedicating myself to a healthy and fit lifestyle. Along the way there have been mistakes (diet and exercise related, never anything serious like injuries, etc.) and I think that I have made solid and steady progress towards my ever changing goals. While I don't do PRs, I have seen those weights stack more and more on the bar, and I'm no longer intimidated by dumbbells over 25lbs - lol. My Bodyfat % is also around 11 and the 172lbs I now carry look way better on me than the 175/6 chubby lbs I had those 3 years ago. Everyone at my gym thinks I weigh more/am bigger and I was also invited to join the Gym's competition team for a bodybuilding competition by the trainers - I'm not there yet and declined but, I truly appreciated the offer.

My supplement staples during this year are: orange triad, fish oil, flaxseed oil, cla, lecithin, vitamin c, creatine, whey, casein, bcaa intra workout. I am trying a new PWO, the Metabolic Nutrition ESP (which I really like), but not done yet will post review once I am.

My food staples during this year, m-f, are: oatmeal, 2 cups coffee w/brown sugar (2 teaspoons per cup), 2-3 boiled eggs, raw almonds, raw cashews, dried cranberries, chicken breast, tuna, couple slices of freshly baked multi-grain bread (with no milk, sugar, yeast, and made primarily from flax, pumpkin, barley, wheat, cassava, and a few other nice ingredients I can't remember; it's a small loaf and only lasts 5 days - both in terms of portion and freshness - so I buy it each week at the bakery), frozen veggies which I heat in olive oil, and milk. I usually drink water with my lunch but, sometimes I drink juice (I know it's only sugar!).

So, previously I was trying to cut fat/lose chubbiness/build muscle and I was doing that for a long time - with decent results. But, I was getting burnt out mentally because I wanted to lift heavy. So, I decided to kick that to the curb and go heavy, eat more (but eat good), and see what happened. Well, I think it has worked for me because over the past 9 months I have put on 6lbs of mostly muscle while maintaining the same waist and also dropping a little fat along my overall mid-section.

Now about this review: Animal Flex. What does this supplement have to do with what I've just shared? Joint Pain. Lots of Joint Pain. Never dealt with this before and it was the kind of thing that literally was killing my workouts. I would go heavy Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and by Thursday I was in constant pain.

Heavy for me means, for example, 5-6 sets of flat bench going up to (2 plates + 10lbs) x 2 + the bar for 4 reps on my last set; my spotter usually helps me complete the last two sets; on back squats I do 7-8 sets working up to (2 plates + 25lbs) x 2 + the bar to parallel and 6 reps on my last two sets; on deadlifts I do 4 sets starting at (2 plates) going up to (2 plates + 25lbs) x 2 + the bar and then Rack Pulls right after, 3 sets, up to (3 plates + 10lbs) x 2 + the bar, and I squeeze 2 reps on that last weight.

So, by mid-week I couldn't work my triceps properly as my elbows ached, my wrists hurt, and my knees constantly ached and got stiff while sitting. Plus, I like to work out 6 days a week, and couldn't get anything going on the last two days. So, I decided to get the Animal Flex in the hope that it would help.

Animal Flex has four (4) groups of ingredients:

(1) Vitamin/mineral blend: vit c, e, zinc, selenium, manganese
(2) Joint Construction Complex: glucosamine, msm, chondroitin sulfate A and C - 3000mg
(3) Joint Lubrication Complex: flaxseed oil, cetyl myristoleate propriety blend, hyaluronic acid - 1000mg
(4) Joint Support Complex: ginger root, turmeric root, boswellia, quercetin, bromelain - 1000mg

These ingredients are combined into eight (8) pills which come in a packet. There are 44 packets. All of the ingredients are fairly well known and easy to find information on - information which suggests that this combination is good and should impact your joints in a positive way. Of course, I was already getting some of these from the Orange Triad and I was taking Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil. But, I thought getting extra amounts of some ingredients shouldn't hurt.

As for the dosage, it looks about right; although bioperine is not present, and that may help absorption.

I basically took one packet a day, with lunch. And, I went through 2 cans. So basically 3 months. Something I always mention: I make small changes to what I do and I take my time before making other changes, so I can really figure out if something is working for me or not. In this case, unfortunately there was not much difference at all over the 3 months in terms of the pain/discomfort I was experiencing. I continued with the extra can because I wanted to be sure.

So, the intensity of the pain went down slightly. But, I can say the one thing it did help with was the pain subsided faster. Instead of feeling pain throughout the week (meaning up to Saturday/Sunday), I felt that by Friday the pain was tolerable but, to different degrees:

For Elbows - Thursdays I could hit triceps with a little soreness. Before I would have to wait till Friday.
For Knees - Wednesdays I could squat heavy, Saturdays I could squat light, and be ready for heavy squats again on Wednesdays. Before I would have to avoid squats on Saturdays or I wouldn't be able to go heavy the following Wednesday as the soreness would be pain that lingered.
For Wrist - There wasn't any change.

There were no side effects.

In terms of value. I got it for 25 bucks and I think for what is a month and a half supply, basically, that is a good deal - if you are not already getting these ingredients in any other supplement you are taking.

So, not really the result I had hoped for, and that makes it hard for me to recommend it. I think it's more situational based on what other supps you are taking.

Of course, I looked for something else to try and that led me to the USP Labs Super Cissus, which I'll post a review on next.

• Wis3guy
    September 30, 2015

Way to go on your journey and posting a good review.

• krystian
    September 30, 2015

Hey, thanks Wis3guy! I'm all about those gainz now :) and I could not have gotten here without everyone in the SR Community!