REAAL Reviews

By: TwinLab

REAAL is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by TwinLab. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

October 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • No Artificial Dyes
  • Better Recovery
  • Prop Blend
  • Artificial Sweetener

This product is a "concentrated" form of EAAs without artificial dyes that does show promise, but at a pricey cost.

I am 22 years old and stay in fitness for the plethora of overall health reasons. I bought this product as my first EAA product. I did a lot of research about EAAs and decided i would like to try one. This stood out to me due to my background in the medical field and all the medical research associated with it and Dr. Robert Wolfe. The claim with to this product is that it is 32x more effective at facilitating muscle protein synthesis than BCAAs and is 3x more effective than whey. The first impression is good. The powder is a very fine white powder that mixes well and has a strong sweet flavor. Through the whole container i never had any problem with stomach issues or any other negative effects with this product.

This product includes a 3.6 gram proprietary blend of BCAA/EAA. While this seems like a low dose the company claims that this is the "perfect ratio" and is backed by "24 human studies and 40 years of medical research." The macros contain 1g of carbs and 4g of protein for a total of 20 calories.

L-Leucine: Muscle protein synthesis
L-Lysine HCl: Muscle protein synthesis/ Immune system
L-Valine: Muscle protein synthesis
L-Isoleucine: Muscle protein synthesis
L-Arginine: Boosts NO levels and promotes GH/muscle building
L-Threonine: Promotes protein balancing
L-Phenylalanine: Cognitive benefits/ dopamine production
L-Methionine: supports healthy fat metabolism
L-Histidine: Digestion
L-Tryptohan: Synthesis of serotonin

The flavor i had was Kona Dragon fruit and i would definitely like to see more flavoring like this. The flavor was a tropical taste and had a strong sweetness. This is most likely due to the use of artificial sweeteners ( Sucralose, Acesulfame potassium). The mixability was very good for an EAA product. There were a few floaters but this will always be the case with a good EAA due to amino acids being hydrophobic. The dosing is where this product lacks the punch. There is only 3.6 grams of a proprietary EAA/BCAA blend in 1 serving of REAAL. This is not a large dosage but it does claim to be the best ratio.

The effectiveness of this product could be seen slightly with a decrease in DOMS. I would take this product before bed to supply aminos as i rest and intra-workout. When i would take this before bed i did notice a decrease in muscle soreness and due to this i could push myself more in the gym than without. The soreness was still present some days though.

Currently this product sells on reaalmuscle.com for $43.99/30 servings. Sales can sometimes be caught that bring it down to around $35. This means at full price you are paying around $1.50/serving. This is pretty steep for an EAA product when you can get many others for around $1/serving that have higher dosing also.

Side Effects

No side effects were seen

Conclusion

The final verdict on this product is decent. The product does have unique qualities such as being artificial dye free but it feels like it is lacking for what the price tag is. At 1.50/serving it is an expensive product that many people may look over. While it contains all EAA/BCAAs it does feel like we dont get as much with this as with other products. At the end of the day this product does perform well, if you are willing to fork over more cash than with other EAAs.
  • Kona Dragon fruit: 9/10

July 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Two Scoops Aid In DOMS Recovery
  • Not Effective At One Scoop
  • Prop Blend

An expensive BCAA/EAA product that requires two scoops on training days to be effective and may cause you some stomach discomfort. A low dosed prop blend with a lot of hype built up around it as a marketing strategy in my opinion. This does its job, but there are better options out there.

38 years old, recovering from total reconstruction surgery on my left ankle, but finally back in the gym! A few months back Dr. Robert Wolfe released a paper stating that BCAAs alone to not aid in muscle protein synthesis but a direct combination of BCAA plus EAAs are the key. He then teamed up with TwinLab to create Reaal. This definitely peaked my interest and I pre-ordered this to get on board and try this supposedly revolutionary formula. The article about Dr. Wolfe and his BCAA myth paper as well as the partnership can be found here https://www.stack3d.com/2018/02/twin-lab-amino-authority.html

Here we have a proprietary blend that is patented. The REAAL9 Patented-Ratio EAA Blend contains 3.6g of Leucine, Lysine HCI, Valine, Isoleucine, Arginine, Threonine, Phenylalanine, Methionine, Histidine, and Tryptophan.

As far as the BCAAs are concerned leucine plays an important role in muscle protein synthesis, while isoleucine induces glucose uptake into cells. The Valine in the red headed step child here, as more research is needed to even know what this does for you. Valine just takes some BCAA credit while the true workhorses are Leucine and Isoleucine.

The rest are EAAs and lysine helps build a healthy immune system, threonine maintains the balance of protein within the body to support normal growth and development, and phenylalanine converts into tyrosine which is needed to form important brain chemicals to help regulate our metabolism. Arginine is important for blood flow and NO levels, methionine helps the body to remove and process fat, histidine aids in your bodies response to substances, and typtophan produces serotonin to influence emotions and mood.

So as you can see each Amino Acid has its own role to play, and supposedly this is the perfect dose. I find this to be a bit low, but I will discuss that below. Recently, Reaal became available in packets which contain two doses per packet, so in my head this is truly meant to be taken as two doses versus just one.

Of note, this is vegan friendly, gluten free, kosher, lactose free, and free of dyes.

Taste: I tried the Fuji Grape flavor. This did not taste that great to me at all. It was very drinkable but I never got a grape flavor from it. I found every time I drank a scoop of this it would never settle well with my stomach and give me a very minor stomach ache. So not so great.

Mixability: Mixed easily with a shaker cup with around 8-10oz of water. No foaming or left over residue issues.

Dosing: I tried dosing this one scoop intra workout, and then moved to one scoop PWO and one scoop Post. I will discuss the results of each in effectiveness. On rest days I would just take one scoop after waking up.

So overall yes this did work as intended and did decrease muscle DOMS as that is the easiest way to tell of your BCAA/EAA supplement is working for you. Initially at one scoop intra workout, this gave me that minor stomach ache so was not enjoyable at all trying to lift with that feeling in your gut. At only one scoop I was still a bit sore the next day and even more so two days after. However, once I moved to dosing this one scoop Pre and one scoop Post this worked great. It still gave me that stomach ache, but I had no real muscle doms to speak of and this product did a nice job there.

So yes, this does work as intended but its something with the ingredients that my body just does not like. This takes two scoops to be effective (at least it was for me). I have had other products where one scoop was just as effective, if not more, than this, so in comparison the effectiveness is about average here, nothing significant.

The cheapest I could find this was for $38.39 for 30 scoops from the Vitamin Shoppe. That comes out to $1.28 per scoop. This means that on training days this cost me $2.56 and $1.28 on rest days. I average working out 4 days a week, so that is about 11 scoops a week and this would only last you around 3 weeks. So yeah this is very expensive, and in my opinion just not worth the value at this price point.

Side Effects

Minor stomach ache. Something with those natural ingredients do not tend to agree with me.

Conclusion

So is this product over-hyped? YES! Does it work? Yes at two scoops. Is it expensive? Yes. I was glad to try this out but did not really enjoy the run at all to be honest. Once I found the right dosing to be effective it worked well, but at the expense of a stomach ache each time. I have had other BCAA/EAA products that are light years ahead of this, and I don't care who patented this prop blend or which personality backs it up, its just not worth it in my opinion. Its all marketing at the end of the day. It gets a Meh rating because yeah it did work but, man is it expensive. There are better options out there.
  • Fuji Grape: 4/10