Total Body Protein Reviews

By: TBN Labs

Overall
Overall
Thanks to TBN Labs for sending it out!
  February 5, 2019

• Tub Near Expiration Date
  • Cheap Fillers
  • Crazy Mixing Time Expectations

From the brand:

TOTAL BODY protein is an advance formula of protein that assists in building lean muscle, muscle definition and weight management. It is a Gluten Free, Grass Fed Whey Matrix containing seven different important protein components to help nourish your muscle for up to 8 hours. TOTAL BODY protein shake has better absorption and all the Amino Acids to help your daily nutritional needs.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to TBN Labs for being a part of SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to run and review many of the products that the company produces. Today I am going to speak about their Total Body Protein product. This is an extended release/protein blend product that is supposed to keep muscle protein synthesis (MPS) elevated for multiple hours with the varied release of amino acids into your body. This is also the first product that I have used from TBN Labs and I'm excited to try them out.

As a side note, the tub I received was only about two months away from its listed expiration date and there was no manufacture date printed. From past experience, I have seen the difference between the manufacture date and expiration date on protein powders at one to two years. Not really sure how "old" the tub I received is and how TBN Labs does its manufacturing. I'm not someone who worries too much about the expiration dates printed on supplements or food products, as long as it still smells and tastes ok. But if you are someone who won't touch a product after it passes the printed expiration date, be aware when purchasing a tub of this as you may need to use it quickly.

Each 30 gram scoop will provide you with the following macros:

Total Carbohydrate - 5 Grams
Dietary Fiber - 1 Gram
Sugars - 4 Grams
Protein - 22 Grams

The protein blend is made up of whey protein concentrate (WPC), whey protein isolate (WPI), Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Alpha & Beta Caseins and Caseinates, Milk Protein Isolate (MPI), Egg Albumin and Glutamine Peptides. Personally, I would like a little more disclosure when it comes to the proteins for this product such as the grade of WPC being used. Is it a WPC-80 or WPC-34? The WPI should at least be a 90% grade, so no issues there. I am also not a big fan of Caseinate protein products because they are lower quality in my opinion. I would much rather have just Micellar Casein instead of the different Caseinates included in this product. The Egg Albumin is the medium digesting protein in this product, which bridges the gap between the faster digesting whey proteins and the slower digesting casein proteins. Finally we have the Glutamine Peptides listed last in the "grass-fed whey matrix". This is definitely an ingredient I do not want to see listed in a protein powder after the industry went through the whole amino spiking incident some years back. In short, companies were including lower cost amino acids like glutamine, taurine, glycine and/or creatine to fool nitrogen testing for the amount of protein that each scoop of the product included. Is TBN Labs doing that with the Glutamine Peptides in this product? I don't know which is why I would like to see some more disclosure on this product. If I was a person who was extremely meticulous on counting macros, I may count each scoop as only having 20 or 21 grams of protein versus the 22 grams listed.

The remaining ingredients are the fillers to help with sweetness, mixability, mouthfeel and flavoring. I am not thrilled to see two cheap ingredients located just after the protein blend (maltodextrin and dextrose). I assume those are used as part of the sweetness aspect of this protein along with Stevia because there are none of the common artificial sweeteners included such as Ace-K or sucralose.

The last piece of this section I will touch on is the inclusion of digestive enzymes (Aminogen and Papain). "Aminogen is a revolutionary technology designed to improve protein digestion and increase amino acid levels absorbed from dietary protein. Clinical research has shown Aminogen to increase BCAA retention levels by 250%, nitrogen levels in muscle by 32% and overall amino acid plasma levels by 100%. Researchers also found all amino acids, essential & conditionally essential, including branched chain amino acids, are released in greater amounts when protein is digested with Aminogen. What's more, Aminogen is 100% natural and ideal for anyone looking to build quality muscle or achieve lean body definition." "Papain is a proteolytic enzyme extracted from the raw fruit of the papaya plant. Proteolytic enzymes help break proteins down into smaller protein fragments called peptides and amino acids." (https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/papain)

Taste >> I received the Coconut Cream flavor and really enjoyed it. Nothing was overpowering in this flavor system and it is something I could drink daily for a long period of time. No complaints here and the flavor mixed nicely with other food ingredients that I used when making a smoothie (such as fruits, greens and cacao powder). This protein is also available in nine other flavors, so there is likely something for everyone with Total Body protein.

Mixability >> No issues here with this product for me. I either used a blender bottle or a Ninja blender when mixing a scoop in water. Sometimes I would have the blender ball inside, sometimes not. For the most part, the blender ball did not make a difference in the outcome of the product. The shake may have come out slightly smoother with the blender ball included but hardly a noticeable difference in my opinion. No huge chunks were ever left in the cup after shaking and it was always smooth going down. As you may expect when using the Ninja, everything was smooth no matter what else I added to the smoothie. The directions on the label mention shaking or blending for two to five minutes, but I think that is overkill and highly doubt anyone would need that long (or would be able to shake a bottle for upwards of five continuous minutes).

Dosing >> As with most protein powders/meal replacement products, the dosing is left up to the individual and how this product will best fit with their lifestyle. Since it is low fat, consuming post workout is an option along with basically any time of day. The label references using before and after workouts and/or before bedtime to "help nourish and replenish muscles during sleep." All of my servings were taken at night because that is when I eat all of my food for the day.

As with dosing, the effectiveness of a protein/meal replacement product can only be determined by the individual using it. If the food you typically eat does not contain a lot of protein, this product will be effective at increasing your intake. Or if you are a person who has trouble consuming enough whole food to meet your goals, this product will be effective at allowing you to quickly consume some protein and calories without using up too much volume in your stomach.

Since I eat all of my food at night, this was typically used to help fill in my protein goal for the day, either as a shake or smoothie alongside my whole food meal. With each scoop being ~73% protein by weight, this was effective at increasing my protein intake without having to worry too much about consuming unwanted fats or carbs. This is not the absolute cleanest protein on the market but nothing is outrageous when it comes to the macro breakdown and effectiveness provided. I did not notice any specific effect when it comes to feeling fuller longer because of the extended release protein, but that is probably because I eat so much food along with this supplement in the evening. If you are a person who eats more of their food earlier in the day, this may help satiate you for longer when compared to a supplement that only has the faster digesting whey protein.

In terms of digestibility, I have no complaints here for this product. Whether taken on an empty stomach or while eating other foods; there were no instances of upset stomach, bloating or discomfort from consuming one or two scoops of this at a time. I typically don't have any issue with products like this, even if they don't include the digestive enzymes. With the inclusion of two enzymes in this supplement, that helps lower the risk of negative side effects even more for those who may have an issue.

It looks like the main place you can purchase this protein supplement is from the TBN Labs website (https://tbnlabs.com/product/total-body-protein/). Amazon has some of their products but it looks like the selection is much smaller than buying directly from them. All ten flavors come in either a two pound or five pound tub. The two pound tubs contain 30 servings for $34.75 (plus around $13.50 for shipping). The five pound tubs contain about 75 servings if my math is correct for a price of $64.75 (plus around $16.25 for shipping). There might be discount codes out there on social media to help lower these costs a little. Their Instagram page also says there is a 100% money back guarantee.

Side Effects

None personally experienced. As with any supplement, discuss with your physician before taking if you have a medical condition or are taking any prescription medications. Stop use and discuss with your physician if any negative effects occur. Do not exceed suggested dose.

Conclusion

In the end, my first experience with a TBN Labs product was mostly positive. I have a few issues with some of the ingredients included along with a slight concern about how close the expiration date was on the tub I received. The limited availability of this supplement also hurts the brand slightly and does not provide much exposure to those who are unfamiliar with this company. Standard retail price when you factor in shipping costs also took off a few points from this review. On the other hand; the macros, taste, mixability and effectiveness lived up to what I expect from milk based protein powders in today's supplement market. No side effects are also a big positive for me, especially with the various protein sources that we don't have much disclosure on. If you are a fan of extended release/protein blend powders or are looking to try something different from your whey only supplements, Total Body Protein is worth some research.

Once again, thank you to TBN Labs for being a part of SR.com and sending this product out to me. With a few changes, this supplement could become fantastic and compete with the big name brands in the market.

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Coconut Cream : 8/10

• Wis3guy
    February 9, 2019

Nice job on this. Interesting on expiration date. Also nice to ask about percentage of WPC as it can be different.

• dmf8625
    February 9, 2019

@Wis3guy Thank you. Always wishing more companies would disclose information like the WPC percentage.